Solving the warm up - add PHOTO

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Solving the warm up - add PHOTO

Postby Tsavo » Sat May 12, 2018 4:22 am

I am rehabbing my 21 yo horse who was retired for about 5 months but came sound again. He is weak and stiff. I lunged him on straight lines in large ovals (running with him) for about 2 months and then started riding lightly.

I was doing about 10 -15 minutes of walk on uneven ground and then trot. Recently I added canter. The trot was small and mincing so I shod him up front. His stride length and ability to hold his back up are slowly improving but he appeared hocky on downhills and he occasionally still limped on the LF.

I lunged him today and noticed he kept wanting to canter when asked to trot. I know canter is easier than trot so maybe he just needs an easier warm up. I let him canter in both directions and had to ask him to stop. After walking, he was able to do a normal working trot and was completely sound on level ground in both directions and on a ~15-m circle.

Tomorrow I will lunge him first and then get on. I think this is going to be the answer to get strong and loose enough to do enough work to stay sound. I regret not listening to my vet about not retiring him but he was not sound on a straight line until I moved him to 24/7 herd situation. I lost that herd situation and then he was with one other horse but now he is alone. I was happy that he paced a bit but that has subsided unfortunately.

Instead of retiring him I should have been riding him every day. He went lame on 5 days a week with solo turnout. Now I still can only do 5 days a week and he is back to solo turnout but he is sound almost every day for now. If I can't keep him sound with riding I will have to find him another horse or a herd again.
Last edited by Tsavo on Sun May 13, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josette

Re: Solving the warm up

Postby Josette » Sat May 12, 2018 11:23 am

I think your rehab schedule is very reasonable for your elder. I lost several months of riding this past winter (no indoor) - got in a few lunge days when footing permitted. This late start to spring required me to get my almost 18 yr old and especially MYSELF back into some fitness level. Again, I started out lunging and when under saddle did lots of walks on our trails. When he felt like cantering on the lunge I let him to get out any stiffness. Also we did c-t-c transition on lunge to help with under saddle. We started with only trot under saddle for short rides with lots of change of direction. I feel it is best to let the older horse pick their warm up preference and feel how they go - which side has the stiffness issues. I never push to get him tired but to feel comfortable moving and cooperative relaxed in our work. Some days under saddle we do trot only with lots of figures and direction changes. Other days I feel he is relaxed and comfortable to do more canter. We focus on both his mind and body response as our daily goal for a positive ride. So on days when he is not mentally applied - I do not insist but keep it basic and positive for his mental state. So far, several very cooperative fun rides. At this point, I'm just grateful we are both able to ride together.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat May 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Josette it sounds like you are very attuned to your horse. I think we are in similar spots with our horses in trying to figure out how to help them stay happy and healthy.

I am in a great barn riding a second level horse with a gold medal trainer coming in regularly. The only downside is that my horse is not in a herd and so the lameness on the LF from ringbone has occasionally crept back up. Plus his left hock does not bend as much as the right going downhill. He is not even with another horse now and is back to solo turnout. These are the conditions in which I could not keep him sound before I retired him. I am giving this 50 - 50 whether he can stay sound outside of a herd.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat May 12, 2018 2:24 pm

LOL! Thanks! If you only knew how long it has taken me to get into his mind- plus gain his trust. :) It is very hard trying to keep a horse sound with known issues. You do the best you can..... I'm sorry you have these challenges.

Tsavo

Re: Solving the warm up - add PHOTO

Postby Tsavo » Sun May 13, 2018 4:42 pm

I lunged him today.

Sound W/T/C going right. Picks up trot when I start running. Stays in canter until I ask him to stop. No issue.

Going left sound W/T. He is not bending the left hock as much as he should but was willing to go to canter and stay in canter. He shifts his haunches inward slightly today, not a lot like yesterday. I brought him down to a large trot and he kept that until I ran out of steam running... I had run next to him for 4 laps on the track in canter.

Either he is better today or he just can't handle a rider now.

32454267_10212592929238205_8739629977680478208_n.jpg
32454267_10212592929238205_8739629977680478208_n.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 10351 times

khall

Postby khall » Sun May 13, 2018 7:48 pm

tsavo are you still in the market for a horse? I just saw on FB a Clyde/TB mare for just over $11,000. Working first level with a very nice canter. On FB one of their Dressage horses for sale pages.

I am trying to bring back my older mare Gallie (Rip's dam) she is off LH but I know it is from OCD lesions. We did IRAP last year. She had no issues WTC either direction (she used to would break into cross canter when it really bothered her) and no issues with lateral work with that hind leg. Going to give her some HA orally (I know you are not a fan, but I have seen it help her) and put her into work see how she does.

Good luck with your guy, hard when they are up in the air I know.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun May 13, 2018 8:12 pm

First of all, I mistakenly hit report instead of quote. I hope that didn't go through!

khall wrote:tsavo are you still in the market for a horse? I just saw on FB a Clyde/TB mare for just over $11,000. Working first level with a very nice canter. On FB one of their Dressage horses for sale pages.

Not until I come to some conclusion on my horse's rehab. I am still keeping an eye on the market and I saw that mare. She is very nice. I suspect she is half and half. I may never find another 3/4 TB 1/4 Clyde but I am not giving up hope yet. :-)

I recently remembered that I said I was going to retire my horse at 22 whether he was sound or not. I am re-thinking that because he clearly has less pain when in work. His level of arthritis is very tractable at present. I wish I had that perspective before I retired him. It may not stay tractable. After he turns 22, if I can find a herd for him I may retire him if I can't get him sorted out. I don't think I would take him out of work unless he went into a herd.

I am trying to bring back my older mare Gallie (Rip's dam) she is off LH but I know it is from OCD lesions. We did IRAP last year. She had no issues WTC either direction (she used to would break into cross canter when it really bothered her) and no issues with lateral work with that hind leg. Going to give her some HA orally (I know you are not a fan, but I have seen it help her) and put her into work see how she does.

Good luck with your guy, hard when they are up in the air I know.

Thanks khall and good luck with your rehab. I hear some good anecdotes about IRAP but I think my vet said it was expensive and had a long lay up. Those comments may be about some other therapy... I may not be remembering that correctly. If my horse was younger I might consider that.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun May 13, 2018 8:15 pm

khall wrote:I am trying to bring back my older mare Gallie (Rip's dam) she is off LH but I know it is from OCD lesions. We did IRAP last year. She had no issues WTC either direction (she used to would break into cross canter when it really bothered her) and no issues with lateral work with that hind leg. Going to give her some HA orally (I know you are not a fan, but I have seen it help her) and put her into work see how she does.
Khall, is Gallie's problem hock or stifle? My old guy has a subcrondral (sp?) bone cyst in right stifle. We started Irap about 3 years ago. Initial doses were once a week for maybe 5-6X and then every two-three months. He's still getting it, even though retired. Vet did a free xray recently of the stifle and the 'hole' is almost filled in. He's a real irap success story. It's a shame for him, because he is very sound, even could still put in a 3rd level test, but the heart is failing.

As far as Irap expense, it is $800-900 for the draw. I get usually 6 viles, so enough to last a year. Each injection every two-three months is $240. That includes vet call, injection, tranquilize, and banamine. So, I spend a little over 2k a year for maintenance on the old guy plus now another 3k on pergolide.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun May 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Tsavo wrote:I recently remembered that I said I was going to retire my horse at 22 whether he was sound or not. I am re-thinking that because he clearly has less pain when in work. His level of arthritis is very tractable at present. I wish I had that perspective before I retired him. It may not stay tractable. After he turns 22, if I can find a herd for him I may retire him if I can't get him sorted out. I don't think I would take him out of work unless he went into a herd.
I think you don't want to let go. I understand that, because I felt similarly. You have a horse you like to ride, you understand, and love. You haven't found a clone of him, and likely won't. Even now that I have a new horse, I still look at my old guy and wish I could turn back the clock and continue on with him. The fact is the at some point they either die or become unable to be ridden. It's good to have another one already standing by, rather than having to search for a horse when you don't have anything to ride.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun May 13, 2018 8:40 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Tsavo wrote:I recently remembered that I said I was going to retire my horse at 22 whether he was sound or not. I am re-thinking that because he clearly has less pain when in work. His level of arthritis is very tractable at present. I wish I had that perspective before I retired him. It may not stay tractable. After he turns 22, if I can find a herd for him I may retire him if I can't get him sorted out. I don't think I would take him out of work unless he went into a herd.
I think you don't want to let go. I understand that, because I felt similarly. You have a horse you like to ride, you understand, and love. You haven't found a clone of him, and likely won't. Even now that I have a new horse, I still look at my old guy and wish I could turn back the clock and continue on with him. The fact is the at some point they either die or become unable to be ridden. It's good to have another one already standing by, rather than having to search for a horse when you don't have anything to ride.

Yes you are right. I am riding a second level horse who is a lot of fun but I still look forward more to rehabbing my 21 year old horse when I am at the barn. I can't quit my horse. It was terrible retiring him and it was like a new lease on life when he came sound only 2 weeks into retirement. I could not contain myself over that. It is a roller coaster and I worry I will not know when to quit.

khall

Postby khall » Sun May 13, 2018 9:52 pm

tsavo no long lay up for IRAP but it is expensive. I paid along the lines of what MC did. I have more stored at the vet's office but have not decided whether to do more injections or not on Gallie. MC it is her stifle, she has bilateral OCD lesions with the left always being the worse. She was this lame when I brought her back after her last foal, work and HA orally made her sound. She went lame again after standing in a stall for 10 months recovering from founder (caused by dex). Got better after IRAP but did not keep her in work (all that crap I was dealing with Rip and then my parents last fall) but would like her to come back and teach lessons on some. She is 23 and still has some fire to her:) on prascend as well.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 am

MC, you gave such helpful perspectives to Tsavo on this. It is hard to transition to a new relationship/new expectations for your shared experience.

I agree that for those who want to continue riding, the time is now to find the next partner (even as the established partner has not quite transitioned). It takes time to make a match.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue May 15, 2018 12:48 am

piedmontfields wrote:MC, you gave such helpful perspectives to Tsavo on this. It is hard to transition to a new relationship/new expectations for your shared experience.

I agree that for those who want to continue riding, the time is now to find the next partner (even as the established partner has not quite transitioned). It takes time to make a match.
I had feelings for all my horses, but once you have them at home, the bond gets stronger. When I had my first one at home and she crossed the bridge, I was devastated. It was like nothing could replace her. I distinctly recall my young friend saying "MC, you can love another horse". At the time, I said Pffft, but now I know that is true. It does take time, and for some of us, a lot of time. I like my new mare, and I'm bonding, but it's going to take a long while for it to be as strong as for a horse I've owned and lived with for 17 years.

Interestingly (and off topic), I had only one dog. When I lost him in 2010, part of my heart went with him. I can't even type about him without tearing up. I could not buy another dog even though I'd love to have one. I would always be comparing to my Scottie.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 15, 2018 1:37 am

Totally OT: I still have dogs, but it is unlikely that any will be more exceptional than our first (people still talk about him 15 years later--he was a rescue Weimaraner who got performance titles and did awesome party tricks) or our first pointer (she was beautiful and seemed to be born trained--a joy to run and hunt).

But I still have pointer boys and they are a joyful additional to our lives. The solid presence and positivity of dogs cheers me up---even thought I know the likelihood of having ones that match some of the oldies is small.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue May 15, 2018 4:02 pm

From what I recently heard/saw IRAP has changed - it is now I injection. Last summer when my mare had it done it was 5 or 6 injections. A girl at the barn just had it done and it's only one and I certainly helped her horse that has ringbone.

Hopefully, the cost has also come down.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Hayburner wrote:From what I recently heard/saw IRAP has changed - it is now I injection. Last summer when my mare had it done it was 5 or 6 injections. A girl at the barn just had it done and it's only one and I certainly helped her horse that has ringbone.

Hopefully, the cost has also come down.
There is an IRAP II, but the protocol is the same as far as I've learned.

There is a new product called Prostride that is one injection and no processing. My vet has not had good experience with it.
https://www.omveterinary.com/pro-stride

I think whatever the product, if a horse has a degenerative condition, one time of anything isn't enough. It's a lifelong maintenance.

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Gallie had several over a course, maybe once a month? Would have to go back and look. I can always cough up for the injection again, have more from original draw, lasts 18 months according to my vet.

MC I'm sorry your older guy has heart issues. That's tough when they are sound otherwise.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:22 pm

piedmontfields wrote:

I'll say. And my experience has been that the ones I couldn't foresee ever being useful again have turned out to be just what we needed, both as the grandchildren came along, and for us.

In fact, I just got back from a short, but very pleasant trail ride on our late 20's Halflinger mare ponying her mini me along beside her, because the mini is getting in shape to teach yet another grandchild how to ride. She's such a good little mini. She just trots along next to the Halflinger and hardly ever dives for grass. :-)

Return to “Dressage Training”