I can sit the trot on grass all day!

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Xanthoria
Herd Member

I can sit the trot on grass all day!

Postby Xanthoria » Mon May 21, 2018 7:27 pm

Well, as I have been stuck as training level forever due to various horse disasters (but clawing my way out!) I have not had much occasion to sit the trot. "And just right!" my abs said! I occasionally try it for a few strides and agree with my abs: a bridge too far for lazy me.

However, this weekend I trailered to my trainer's and she has two arenas. One of them is a legit, bowling-green smooth grass arena, tended lovingly by her husband, mowed with perfect stripes and almost to perfect to set hoof on. BUT I DID ANYWAY. :twisted:

A surreal thing happened. My horse felt like a million bucks and I was suddenly able to sit the trot like it was nothing. I sat and sat, I didn't get tired, I didn't even do it because my trainer asked me to - I just did it for fun!

Afterwards, I realized sadly that it's likely he needs hind shoes... and that the lovely springy grass felt so good he'd softened his back significantly. Since hind shoes aren't allowed at our barn in turnout (and he lives on 24/7 dry lot/pasture due to his shivers and PSSM) I have been investigating plastic shoes.

Anyway, that's my interesting discovery... anyone like a plastic shoeing package, or recommend one brand over another?

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: I can sit the trot on grass all day!

Postby Tsavo » Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 pm

I like the Blue Pegasos plastic shoes very much.

Do not order these from Australia if you want them. There is a US arm of the company.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Xan, IMLE when the horse is more through + also forward, the trot is much easier to sit (it swings you into your horse's back).

Poor baby Bronto. He needs lots of turnout, he needs shoes and he lives not too far from the city. It's hard to have a completely perfect life! I know some people get good use from boots (ex. Susan on this board), so if the plastic shoes aren't an option that could be worth trying.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon May 21, 2018 11:45 pm

I do think he was more through - I had a fantastic ride. And yeah it's really tough finding the right situation: I've long ago given up on the idea of boarding at a place with good footing, a gallop track, a jump arena, maybe some x-c jumps, an on-site trainer, hot water and all sorts of amenities so that my horses can have 24/7 turnout in an actual pasture. Before, it was so the old guy was happy, now, it's so the youngster doesn't have a full blown PSSM attack...

Baby bronto has sweet itch and has to live in fly sheets and fly sprays, AND he gets hock sores from the hard pasture ground. What's more, he LIKES being in a stall. On the whole, now that I add it all up, he'd probably be a wonderful candidate for stall life at a training barn with all the bells/whistles! But they don't have huge turnouts... and we just bought a house next to the barn.... Argh!

I have used hind boots for the trail but they started rubbing and they never made him feel as good as he did on the weekend. Gads, I wonder if he needs pads up front... should have married a farrier!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 am

You can use pads in boots. You can use boots over shoes - voids the warranty, and they won't last all that long, but can be done.
Depending on when you had boots, technology may have improved since. Although I know he's young so perhaps that wasn't all that long ago. IMHO if you find the right boots, they are never a problem (rubs, twists, etc, mean they don't fit quite perfectly).

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:08 am

Hoof boots are probably easier than plastic shoes. I was schooling third level using boots at home (and show barefoot). There’s a lot of different brands, you have to try and see. There are some groups on FB that you can find used ones on. I mostly use cavallos at the moment.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed May 30, 2018 2:55 am

I’ve been hearing good things about the “Scoot Boots” on my Facebook barefoot trimmers page. Was going to go back to Renegades if Annabelle needs boots (thanks to new load of arena sand in the outdoor, the need has been delayed), but will probably look into the Scoot Boots more first.
Keep calm and canter on.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:29 am

Xan, have you ever tried to run - yourself - on the arena you ride in versus the grass you were on this weekend? This could have nothing at all to do with feet but instead just the inertia it takes to ride in your normal arena. If it is deep, it takes a ton more work from the body overall versus that of a springy grass. If your horse is pulling itself along because it is a strain to move in the dirt arena, it will be hard to sit. Certainly the feet could hurt but my experience is that most horses do move better over grassy terrain versus dirt arenas (that are not done well) in general. The dirt could be too deep or it could move a lot underneath the horse so they are moving gingerly due to trying to get a grip. Just something to consider.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed May 30, 2018 8:31 pm

angela9823 wrote:Xan, have you ever tried to run - yourself - on the arena you ride in versus the grass you were on this weekend? This could have nothing at all to do with feet but instead just the inertia it takes to ride in your normal arena. If it is deep, it takes a ton more work from the body overall versus that of a springy grass. If your horse is pulling itself along because it is a strain to move in the dirt arena, it will be hard to sit. Certainly the feet could hurt but my experience is that most horses do move better over grassy terrain versus dirt arenas (that are not done well) in general. The dirt could be too deep or it could move a lot underneath the horse so they are moving gingerly due to trying to get a grip. Just something to consider.

Ohhhhhh this brings something to mind. My mare did not move well on any sand arena. She went well on the grass outside the arena. She did not mind stones or gravel. She did not like the sand - shortened up, started toe-landing, etc. Always resolved immediately when she was taken off the sand.

My instructor kept saying it was her feet. I did not agree.

Boots did nothing (that was the major hint it was not due to her hooves).

Post mortem, we could see it was her joints. They were f*cked, well and truly. OC, OCD, DJD, the lot. Every single joint in every limb was affected in some way, and far worse than her very light riding history would indicate.
The sand would have been unstable for her, she would have shortened up protectively due to the instability in her legs/joints.

Something to consider, anyway. Slightly more severe than Ang's advice, but along the same lines.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Wonder if the shivers (and does he have PSSM too?) have anything to do with it.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu May 31, 2018 4:15 pm

khall wrote:Wonder if the shivers (and does he have PSSM too?) have anything to do with it.

He does have PSSM 2, I don't think either is causing this issue, although he does seem to have proprioceptive issues going from soft to hard (concrete) surfaces.

silk wrote:Post mortem, we could see it was her joints. They were f*cked, well and truly. OC, OCD, DJD, the lot. Every single joint in every limb was affected in some way, and far worse than her very light riding history would indicate.

Silk, that's so sad... he's rising 6 so I really hope that all his joints are in pretty good shape... :shock:

angela9823 wrote:have you ever tried to run - yourself - on the arena you ride in versus the grass you were on this weekend? This could have nothing at all to do with feet but instead just the inertia it takes to ride in your normal arena.

Actually good point. The arena sand is probably beach sand, and the rounded particles mean it does not compact well and has deep (awful) spots and shallow, HARD areas too. It's awful. The only time if feels good is when it's been raining... when of course the barn manager shuts the arena for reasons utterly unknown (ARGH)

So, I think it's really a matter of two things: one is the "bounce" in whatever he's being ridden on (yesterday we trotted up a grassy field - he felt amazing again) and the other is his feet. His dam had thin soles I think, and was always shod (perhaps pads?) and he is the same - v ouchy without shoes. Currently only plain ones in font, but touch a rock with the hinds and he's v tenderfooted.

I really don't want to continue on with boots - on trail rides they twist and I cannot wear them for shows. I wouldn't dare use them for jumping as he's a bit clumsy. I really feel like plastic shoes for the hinds are the next thing to try..... just praying we don't have to go with pads in front too!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 pm

Xanthoria wrote:
silk wrote:Post mortem, we could see it was her joints. They were f*cked, well and truly. OC, OCD, DJD, the lot. Every single joint in every limb was affected in some way, and far worse than her very light riding history would indicate.

Silk, that's so sad... he's rising 6 so I really hope that all his joints are in pretty good shape... :shock:

Yup... Learned a lot from Indy, unicorn that she was <3 Now putting that into practice with her very sparkly baby, Confetti.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 31, 2018 11:59 pm

I was about to say what Angela said, softer sand, deeper footing bouncier stride. It may have nothing to do with pain or connection at all. My horse is the opposite, but the way, does not like grass or harder surfaces and does better in sand.

Return to “Dressage Training”