Susanne von Dietz Educational Event in Landrum SC

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Susanne von Dietz Educational Event in Landrum SC

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:31 pm

I doubt that phrase about "feeling" resonated with everyone the way it did with me. I'm just struck by it because I used to be a rider who (over)reacted to feelings!

I was also struck that many very, very good riders are simply not especially verbal people. It was hard for them to come up with words to describe their new sensations (which the clinician sought, so that they could help the rider return to that experience), even as they recognized the changes in themselves and their horses.

musical comedy
500 post plus club

Postby musical comedy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:50 pm

I wonder if the way Jeremy uses it and they way Susanne uses it means the same thing? So, this could be yet another dressge lingo that is as confusing as the quick hind end.

What it means to me is that if something feels good, it doesn't mean the horse is going as well as it could. I think back of one day doing and extended canter and the trainer said "good" and I said "it felt terrible". He said "doesn't matter, it was correct and looked good".

I have in the past also be told what Demi has heard; i.e. that if it feels good it is probably not good (or something to that effect). I heard that mostly with respect to trot work. Contrary to what so many think, a really powerful collected trot is not all the comfortable. It might be if one is a really good rider, but for the average AA, it doesn't feel easy or great.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 pm

musical comedy wrote:What it means to me is that if something feels good, it doesn't mean the horse is going as well as it could. I think back of one day doing and extended canter and the trainer said "good" and I said "it felt terrible". He said "doesn't matter, it was correct and looked good".

Yes, I this is what I'm assuming it means! And regardless of what the sources meant, it is a really helpful reminder to me that I should not simply trust feelings--especially when we are doing things that are outside our comfort zone. This is why good eyes on the ground are so essential for learning.

I do think more experienced, capable riders have a much better sense of how things are going from what they feel, but they need that outside perspective, too, to assess the work performed.

On a slightly different note, I also find it can be easy to fall into "following feelings" when I am worried about how my horse feels physically. I've heard riders talk about this in relation to returning their horse to full work, too.

Return to “Dressage Training”