Are we ready for the July August goals thread?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Are we ready for the July August goals thread?

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:11 am

if no hands were needed it would not be called a connection, jmho

several things are done with the hands when riding dressage, keep them still, push them forward, lift, lower, apart, together and back. to say no hands in collection is a misnomer.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:47 am

Right it is not no hands. A horse can collect from seat with no hand but it isn't correct as far as I know. That likely results in a balled up horse with a short neck. The hand follows the telescoping forward in the collection.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:13 am

Chisamba wrote:if no hands were needed it would not be called a connection, jmho

several things are done with the hands when riding dressage, keep them still, push them forward, lift, lower, apart, together and back. to say no hands in collection is a misnomer.
Chisamba, are you responding to something posted here or just making a general statement? As far as no hands needed for <anything>, there will always be someone to point to the bridleless dressage rider.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:39 pm

There were a few 'no hands needed" mentioned in the posts following mine, and I think that I had written this
So, those were my notes. I will say that in the haunches in around the circle, I could clearly feel him shift the balance and there was no hand involved.

What I meant was that I wasn't using my hands to block him or bring him back to me - my hand was being used for testing to see if he would keep telescoping or if he was getting a bit still or stiff. I would say that I had been working him into a blocking hand, rather than using the exercises to elicit a response so that he'd learn to follow my back. I would say overall, that this pin points to issues that I have on other horses in the canter.

Speaking of, overall, his canter is much longer in the stride right now with a bit more separation of the legs. It feels a bit lackadaisical to me, but looking at it on the video, this seems like it's trending in the right direction. Someone had mentioned jumping - I'm not sure that would help him or not - what he does is slap the front legs down very quickly - keeping his chest/wither kind of dropped, and my guess is that he would use the same technique if I tried to jump him. That being said, I think in another month or so, I'd feel comfortable trying it.
This is where we're at with the left canter- I've got my hand on my sternum through most of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nyMTOa2x3k
This is the left without my hand on my sternum. I feel like there is a difference between hand on or off, and I'm trying to work that out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuvjqAb6x9I
This is the R canter: he's a touch more curled here, but I was working through a bit of haunches in on the circle there and he had been grabbing at the right rein, so I rained on his parade a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHhEpwzBzIY

I just feel really discombobulated in the canter, but some of that is because I'm suffering from a frozen shoulder on my right side and it's really making it hard to do certain things. I've got a cortisone injection scheduled for this coming Tues.

And, just because I could watch him trot all day lol.
MTrot.jpg
MTrot.jpg (141.9 KiB) Viewed 19402 times

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 pm

That's a really spectacular photo, Dresseur!

I will watch the videos when I get home.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Interesting Dresseur- looks forward enough to me. I can see what you mean by it being a tough go.

I think the shoulder pain could really explain part of it-

If I would transponse *myself* here, I would place my elbows just in front of the trunk. The upper arms and elbows are starting to behind your torso. I have noticed I have better contact with this placement, it stays softer. Again, this is my riding style. It's not so much the "pretty picture" aspect but how the muscles and posture changes allows the arm to be functioning better and gives the horse room to carry the withers up more/carry the hands forward. He looks a tad locked in the wither area, but could be just his age and where he is at.

Am I seeing things, or is he slightly wobbling his shoulders a teeny bit L and R every stride? something I can't put my finger on. He's looking very lovely overall!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Ryeissa, I agree with you 100% about my arm placement. And right now, I literally can't hold my arm out that little bit, which is affecting my other arm as well because I'm compensating for the pain. If any of you have ever had a frozen shoulder, you know what I mean. If you haven't - I hope you never experience it. This is my second and it hurts worse then when my left froze on me a few years ago.

In regards to being locked in the wither, I would agree with that - he does everything I ask... he stretches down, he does his lateral work with even bend - but he just holds there a bit and slaps the front legs down. I liken it to a horse that lets out early over a jump. This video is definite improvement. Andrea is swinging by tomorrow, so hopefully I have more insight into where this goes from here. In terms of wobbling his shoulders, I don't feel anything odd in the riding in terms of a wobble or shifting balance, he feels true and even in the contact and because of the last few months, he feels more funneled through his body - but, he does tend to wing a bit in the canter, so that may be it.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:20 am

Our local GMO end of year show is tomorrow and was in danger of getting cancelled due to low entries. It's a cheap trip down centerline with a respectable judge, and it's only 30 minutes away, so off we go again...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:23 am

Go Laddie, Go Mountaineer! Going to shows is a most excellent way to get good at showing .Good luck and *have fun* with your beautiful fellow.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:51 am

Dresseur, I just get the impression that he doesn't have the strength yet in canter to carry his weight more on his hind end, like he does in his trot. He's very active and has nice bend in his hocks etc, but the weight still looks a touch forward? But there's nothing 'wrong' as such, and it will keep improving with time/work. Remember I could be totally wrong!! :lol:
It's difficult riding when you have pain, hope the cortisone helps you! I'm impressed that you can ride as well as you are with it. Love the trot pic!

Speaking of no hands, I had a dressage lesson the other day. I haven't had one in quite a while and had clearly fallen down my wombat hole of trying to get him 'over the back and rounder'. This was where I had left off, needing Ding to be not so high in front. I think I'd not even walked 1/2 a 20m circle and my instructor says "stop, he's on the forehand". So, a bit of work to get him off his front and some new lateral work exercises and we were back on track. I should have realised I was going wrong when things had started to get harder, as in he was heavier on my hands, it was taking more work to get any impulsion or cadence in his trot. Obvious things really :roll: I get so annoyed with myself!
So, now that he's back up off the forehand, I have to remember that feeling!! It feels so much lighter and he's more responsive. i just have to work on him stretching out from that. Not falling down on the shoulder, but up and out.

Here's some pics from today after our lesson. He could still be 'rounder' but I have to keep thinking of it more from the back end, not the front. Please excuse our winter woollies and the 2 inch mohawk going on right now with his mane :D

dingwinterSmall1.jpg
dingwinterSmall1.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 19327 times

dingwintersmall2.jpg
dingwintersmall2.jpg (82.14 KiB) Viewed 19327 times

dingwintersmall3.jpg
dingwintersmall3.jpg (79.04 KiB) Viewed 19327 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Clinic is under way. Most frustrating, being told to do something you know and thought you were doing, and realizing you were not. Best thing, small changes make big differences.

We are having a meet and greet at our home tonight so I have to rush off.

Good riding everyone

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:14 am

Chisamba, I can identify with that 100%. I'm looking forward to clinic notes.

Rye, good job! And, I have to say, good eye - Andrea also felt that he was sliding a bit back and forth underneath me in the shoulders. But, she was very happy with the baseline canter. I did get taken to task on the haunches in on the circle in the canter, which lead to a really big break through. I'm not sure I totally understand what I was doing, so bear with.

Basically, she wanted more haunches in, and to give him a clear release in the inside rein in the canter. She got on him, and in 5 strides got what she was after. My jaw about hit the floor because I didn't know that he could move like that in the canter. In any case, she did one revolution of a 15 meter working piri and had me get on to feel the difference.

First things first - the canter was smaller - not in his stride - that was long still, and he was taking a large step with his inside hind. But the balance was totally tipped up, he was completely soft on the inside, and it was even in the footfalls - no one hoof hitting harder than another. His back was relaxed, yet strong feeling. I had never felt the shoulders come up like that. So, we got to talking about what she was doing. 1. much, much quicker with the hh, and a much more definite outside rein so that he didn't just whip the neck around. 2. she didn't let him blast off in front when she touched him with her leg or whip to bring the haunches in more. 3. very, very clear release, even if it messed it up - she didn't let him lean for one second. 4. She had him in front of her hip - which is where my leaning forward ever so slightly and tipping my pelvis forward just screws me. 5. loose hips.

But the biggest thing - the thing that I found to be so profound was when we were talking about what he should be doing when she releases. I let him fall on the shoulders - with her... the stride changes, and he lengthens, but the shoulders never go down. She brings him back, the stride changes, he stays long, but the shoulder come up more (this is assuming the hind legs are doing what they are supposed to be doing. You can have the hind legs going like crazy and have the horse be driven up from behind, but still have the horse down in the shoulder.

So, she started telling me about race horse trainers and how when they want to open the stride, they "throw crosses" that pumping action with the arms where jockeys re-grip the reins - but the horse can't physically stretch the topline any further - so the shoulders open and the forelegs start to gain more ground. So, she told me to think about lengthening the forelegs out - not the topline itself - and to think about the nuchal ligament telescoping, not the whole frame getting longer. So, in my working piri, I could hear his inside fore start to hit harder - she said, now do something with this - push it out. And I said, with what - he's off my hand, so I can't let go of that any further - he's listening to my back. So she said - nudge his forelegs out further. And suddenly, like magic - the footfalls evened, and he got long without changing his whole body shape, and his back relaxed but stayed strong and he was in front of my hip and I was able to match what I felt her give back to me after she was on him.

Then in the end trot - I kept that thinking up... push the forelegs out, because the hind was maximally engaged for what he was doing, and he went into the most up, softest medium trot that I have ever felt him do. And I was able to repeat it. He didn't change tempo, he didn't fall apart, he just went up like an airplane in front of me and we took off. Magic!
Last edited by Dresseur on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:25 am

Oh wow. Great notes, Dresseur. That hits something very useful and important. I am going to re-read and re-read and explore.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:45 am

Awesome notes Dresseur! Yes, it's all about the balance and keeping it off the shoulders. Exactly what i'm going through! That lighter, self carriage feeling when they carry themselves right is amazing :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Dresseur wrote:
Rye, good job! And, I have to say, good eye - Andrea also felt that he was sliding a bit back and forth underneath me in the shoulders. But, she was very happy with the baseline canter. .

awesome!
it helps me learn when I'm onto something, or just imagining things, so thanks for the update. I will review more in detail soon.
Yes, I get the frozen shoulder idea- Its hard to know what you are feeling, and what is realistic to correct, so my thoughts were more the 20,000 foot view of the arm placement. hope that you get feeling better soon! that is not fun at all.

Trying to understand my goals and ponder the best use of my time. I have a few more things I want to do this fall.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:34 pm

So, we didn't make our 65 as Laddie just had no gas in the tank and wasn't really up for forward and impulsion (being addressed, I think he needs more protein and carbs as he's working so hard, but I also don't want to die young...) and we did a couple of boneheaded things that messed up things we normally do well, BUT, we did get 6.5s on our travers (traverses?) and SI's, yeehaw, and a 7.5 for the simple change that we actually executed, instead of breaking at C and ending up in a flailing match as we did for the other one, and we very uncharacteristically messed up one of out TOH (ouch, a well deserved 4 and 5 on two double coefficients, no less...) but several 7s and an 8 for out final halt and salute, so not all bad, just bad in the wrong places for a higher score.

We still can't get our mediums together in the show ring either. Still, incremental improvements in something each time we go out, so maybe at some golden moment it will all come together at the same time!

We're learning this showing stuff, it's getting to be more fun and less stressful. He's now very chill about the whole thing, happy to stand by the trailer in his coolcoat with his head in the manger, I'm getting to know this batch of competitors, who are mostly really nice folks all trying to go out there and not suck. (One of the most interesting moments was watching two middle aged gents in their whites standing next to the warm-up ring in earnest conversation--so nice to see several male amateurs competing. They've been pretty scarce around out neck of the woods.)

And we won a very pretty 2nd level Championship ribbon and a nice new saddlepad, and a free auditing certificate to a fancy clinic later in the year, so it was a good day out!

Now I have to get my act together and get ready for the barn dinner party at my house this evening... deserts to cook, you know!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
And we won a very pretty 2nd level Championship ribbon and a nice new saddlepad, and a free auditing certificate to a fancy clinic later in the year, so it was a good day out!

Now I have to get my act together and get ready for the barn dinner party at my house this evening... deserts to cook, you know!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is a huge deal. Showing is HARD. Dressage is hard. Showing dressage is hard-est. if you ask me.

What time is dinner :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:53 pm

7pm, and two people just dropped out, so if you get your skates on you might be in luck!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:14 am

Mountaineer wrote: We're learning this showing stuff, it's getting to be more fun and less stressful. He's now very chill about the whole thing, happy to stand by the trailer in his coolcoat with his head in the manger, I'm getting to know this batch of competitors, who are mostly really nice folks all trying to go out there and not suck.

Good update and good learning! I know what you mean about seeing men involved. I work in a very male-dominated space so it is weird to recreate without them (+ I live with one!).

My update is that Em feels really good. We are just reviewing thoroughness and power in rather basic ways (rubber band, plies/LY + HP in trot and canter, simple changes), but I am happy with her efforts this week. Today we took it "easy" and did trot and canter sets aka aerobics in the field. 6 miles later (including the hack warm-up and cool down), she was very pleased with herself.

Next weekend I am auditing another Charles de Kunffy clinic.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 am

The Helmut Oberhauser clinic is done, and i wrote a separate clinic report because i did not want to be particularly distracting. I really appreciated how he used the days of the clinic as a reminder of the priorities in riding. All of the horses, even Titanium, looked so much improved from the beginning of the ride to the end,

now my biggest problem is to find better eyes on the ground because it was a strong reminder on how badly they are needed ( and how much you need to trust )

I am just hacking every one today, so that they can stretch their muscles move but in a relaxed way, what do you do after a difficult clinic or show, do you have a recovery day, or go straight back to work?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:32 pm

Chisamba wrote:The Helmut Oberhauser clinic is done, and i wrote a separate clinic report because i did not want to be particularly distracting. I really appreciated how he used the days of the clinic as a reminder of the priorities in riding. All of the horses, even Titanium, looked so much improved from the beginning of the ride to the end,

now my biggest problem is to find better eyes on the ground because it was a strong reminder on how badly they are needed ( and how much you need to trust )

I am just hacking every one today, so that they can stretch their muscles move but in a relaxed way, what do you do after a difficult clinic or show, do you have a recovery day, or go straight back to work?
Now that I am back in regularly training, how true this is. I was just telling a friend, my whole lesson is constant corrections about things I'm not doing or doing wrong that I wasn't aware of. I don't have difficult clinic or shows, but the day after my lesson, I just do my long walk warmup and then a lot of rising trot stretching.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:07 pm

I will look for the clinic report, Chiasamba. Thank you in advance!

After a hard lesson or lessons, I like the next ride to touch *very* briefly on a key topic from the lesson (could just be checking in on a reaction or position) and then just do a walking hack.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:01 pm

Welp it wasn't a goal I set but I am going to do a 45 minute lesson with my trainer next week. She also agreed to get on him and assess my rehab efforts. I decided to do it because he has a normal trot again and CC doesn't concern him. Those two things are sufficient for me to lay out scratch for a lesson.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi guys!

I'm back after a bit of a hiatus from contributing on the goals thread.

As it turns out, the sinus infection Bliss had in the spring was due to a cracked and abscessed molar. He had it removed (in one piece and the least invasive way possible) in July, and now we're back at it. He was comfortable throughout, so we only missed 3 weeks of real work while he was away at the clinic and recovering post extraction.

AND... I'm heading to our first show in 3 years the weekend after next. I got my entry in last night so it's official. I'll be doing First 2 and Second 1. Fingers crossed for nice (but not too hot) weather, a well behaved Bliss, and a successful 2nd level debut. 8-)

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Chisamba wrote:if no hands were needed it would not be called a connection, jmho

Chisamba, are you responding to something posted here or just making a general statement? As far as no hands needed for <anything>, there will always be someone to point to the bridleless dressage rider.

All of whom, in my experience, trained the horse to the level demonstrated in a bridle, then played with/exhibited bridleless work (e.g., Uta Graf - whom I adore).

Flight, I just love your obviously soft contact. Lovely.

UC Davis next week. I don't expect a miracle, but hoping for SOMETHING to help get my boy sound again. New shoe - no longer an egg bar on the injured leg, but a shoe with the heel cut, more toe weight out so he can sink in releasing the suspensory and loading the deep flexor. He seems to be moving better, though I still feel a slight unevenness at the trot. It's mostly walk exercise anyway, with a little bit of trot every other day (like four long sides of a dressage arena) Sigh.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:37 pm

I'm having a heckuva month at my real job. Panic level is high in the office and I can't quite put my finger on why... but as a result I'm working long hours and not riding nearly as much as I'd like.

But in fun news, I halter-trained my mom's new foal (Azteca, out of my mom's QH mare). Cutest thing in the world.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Well, I am not riding but I did survive my surgery. Just working on my recovery and rehab. I am supposed to be up to 2-3 miles of walking in a day by 3 weeks. I hit 2 miles (over 3-4 sessions/day) for the last 3 days (I am a week out). Straightforward has ridden Kyra a couple times. I am going to try and head out this weekend (it is supposed to cool off) and get my horse fix...long overdue. I will be good and not do anything but you know when you just need that big sniff of Ode de'Corral?

I am spending some time in Karen Rohlf's video classroom and have found some nice ground exercises that require little effort on my part that help the horse with posture and self carriage so will be eager to try some of those in another week of so.

Happy riding all.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

khall

Postby khall » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 pm

This week has been kind of a bust. Between a sick foster dog https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater with unknown what is going on with him, thankfully have seen some improvement since last week, but having to hand feed him and walk him for PT several times a day. To farrier yesterday and follow up on DS"s wisdom teeth removal and getting him ready to go off to college, to rain today. We are supposed to have heavy rain and thunderstorms, so far have just seen light to moderate rate. Supposed to rain all week.

But when I have been riding Rip it has been going well. I have been doing a good bit of transitions within SI and really have not found it that difficult. The biggest issue is going from C to T, but W to T to W no issues and T to C in SI no issues. Rip is holding his line well. Now does anyone do transitions within the other lateral work? Like HI, renvere even HP? I've tried them in HI and renvere, not HP yet, and boy the transitions are MUCH harder in these other lateral movements. Down is not hard but the up, ugh not much oomph there. I'm going to keep going with them and see what happens. It won't be this week though. Looking at a show possibly in September (try our hand at 2nd so need to work on that more) and hosting Cedar again in October.

It's fun to see the reports and pictures (flight nice! dresseur lovely!) and really enjoyed chisamba's clinic report on the other thread.

Hope all stay safe with the flooding and fires, scary weather we have been having. Those fires are terrifying. Be safe all and happy riding.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:28 pm

So, first off - my shoulder injection was a success! I feel amazing and have finally slept through the night!!! I celebrated by taking off work and riding 6 horses lol. Hey, they said NO restrictions!

In any case, I'm still retooling my canter, I can tell things are improving by paying such close attention to making sure I don't tighten my hips and that I isolate high abs vs my back etc. Piri's on Gala are easy as pie. Changes are staying big, expressive and loose - although this has screwed up the two's again because I go back to old habits. Passage/piaffe/passage transitions are also much better. I am going to be taking a close look at my canter departs from the walk - because something is wonky there - but no surprise since I'm tearing stuff apart again.

Kyra's Mom, hope you recover quickly and find your way back in the saddle again soon!
Ponichiwa, I hear you on the work stuff - I get so frustrated when my work hours get in the way of riding, especially when I'm on the path to some thing.
Hot4Spots, continued jingles for improved soundness. That's a rough road to recovery :/
Rosie, that's so exciting! Good luck! Make sure you get him moving in the warmup!! Ask me how I know lol
Piedmont, can't wait to hear your notes and Flight, I quite like the shape and contact in your pics.

If I've missed anyone, I'm sorry! I am reading all and following along.

Khall, I do transitions in lateral work, not so much in HP unless the horse takes over - but then usually I just go straight for a few steps and then resume. If you are having issues in the up transitions in HI and R, it's possible the hinds are not engaged enough, the horse has to really drive off for those transitions, so make sure you have enough energy in the hind coming down - I find that in HI and R, are where the hind end will tend to lose energy because the horse is bending behind the saddle and it's tougher to stay knit together.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 pm

In spite of the heat and a 6 day trip to MI to help my 89 yr old mom, July has been a good month. I averaged 4 rides per week. I am happy with that given the conditions. August will probably be just as hot or hotter, but I don’t have any travel plans so am hoping to get 5 rides a week.

Of the 18 rides in July, 13 were arena rides, 4 were “pasture dressage”, and one was a trail/hill work ride. Of the arena rides, I started 3 of them with 10 minutes lunging. I am only doing very basic work, but it is getting more consistent and connected. I feel that by the time it cools down in September, and I start lessons again, we will be in a good place to start making some advancement...

The lunge work has improved since I posted about it on the lunging thread and I’ll add some pics to that thread later. Anyway, I think it is working well for Rocky and I, and I’ll continue to do short lunges occasionally before arena work. My arena rides are about 30 minutes, the pasture rides about 45 minutes and the trail/hill an hour. I am up to 15 minutes of trot (total, not continuous) per ride and just a few minutes of canter. The Equilab app is a great tool for telling me exactly how much walk, trot, and canter I’m doing. Increasing my stamina is not easy, but with the app I get good data and that works as a positive reinforcement.

I have been reading everyone’s updates. This is a good training thread and I can’t say enough how much I appreciate everyone’s reports. It is so helpful in keeping my own riding in perspective.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Cantering on both leads is getting more consistent -- picking up the correct lead more often, holding it in a semi-balanced canter longer, and transitioning down smoother.

demi wrote: “pasture dressage”

I do that too! My old barn only had badly rutted, hard grass arenas. But the pastures and hay field across the road were perfect for riding, so I always rode out. I still do that now, even with the sand arena.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:38 pm

So, I'm pretty darn happy with the bug-boy. He's got the message about moving off my leg in the hp.
IMG_5233.jpg
IMG_5233.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 18846 times

IMG_5232.jpg
IMG_5232.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 18846 times

But even better, he's really starting to figure out the haunches in on a circle in the canter and it's making huge changes in his regular canter. He's keeping a large step behind, and I'm able to let go of the inside rein completely for a few steps at a time to test that he's not hanging on me. He's not curling, and he is definitely sitting behind. I do believe that some day, he may have a stunning pirouette.
IMG_5231.PNG
IMG_5231.PNG (113.17 KiB) Viewed 18846 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Today for the first time I felt the same engagement, impulsion, and supple response I had in the clinic. Im thrilled I was able to reproduce it all.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:09 pm

My goodness Dresseur, that canter pic looks like a good fei pirouette. Awesome.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:35 pm

This are good updates from folks.

Chisamba I really admire your focus on the clinic work afterward. I often don't have the focus to work on things from a clinic unless it is a real light bulb thing.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:16 am

Wow Dresseur... Looking good!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:21 am

Tsavo wrote:This are good updates from folks.

Chisamba I really admire your focus on the clinic work afterward. I often don't have the focus to work on things from a clinic unless it is a real light bulb thing.

often i try to nit pick the parts of a clinic i liked and abandon the parts I did not like, but because the clinic was a journey that led me to a very good place, I feel i need to start with what he focused on first, as the warm up, then work on what he worked with next as education, and hoped to finish with what i obtained on the last day. I did not succeed til today but by today i feel like I really know how to make that successful. Also i feel that I now have a plan from which i can continue to improved beyond what we achieved at the clinic. I do truly wish I could repeat the experience on a monthly basis, but having been able to get good feelings in the absence of the clinician made me feel like I could gain from the experience over a longer time

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:16 am

Sadly I did not get many photos from the clinic, my phone, which has quite a good camera and video, broke and so i lost the ones Mikhail took for me, but a friend did get this one i quite like, of titanium during the clinic
Attachments
Titanium.jpg
Titanium.jpg (235.71 KiB) Viewed 18794 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Dresseur wrote:
But even better, he's really starting to figure out the haunches in on a circle in the canter and it's making huge changes in his regular canter. He's keeping a large step behind, and I'm able to let go of the inside rein completely for a few steps at a time to test that he's not hanging on me. He's not curling, and he is definitely sitting behind. I do believe that some day, he may have a stunning pirouette.
IMG_5231.PNG

I enjoy your pictures Dresseur, and Miro is coming along great, if i may make a suggestion though in the canter, do you think it would help if you and your saddle stayed in better contact with his back it looks like everything is up behind, and on his shoulder, and it could be going to come back down with a thump which may not have a positive impact on his next stride. Perhaps it is just an illusion based on the size of the photo and me not seeing clearly.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Chisamba wrote: if i may make a suggestion though in the canter, do you think it would help if you and your saddle stayed in better contact with his back it looks like everything is up behind, and on his shoulder, and it could be going to come back down with a thump which may not have a positive impact on his next stride. Perhaps it is just an illusion based on the size of the photo and me not seeing clearly.
I don't see that at all Chisamba. The cantle is high, but the panel looks flat to me. I don't see the saddle on the shoulders either. However, saddle fitting is a big weak spot for me.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Nice pics Dresseur and Chisamba. Chisamba looks happy in that pic, and to me, that is a big part of dressage. Of course i don’t mean deliriously happy, nor that we need to be happy all the time... but dressage riders, especially in clinics, can get over focused to the point that a stressful type of tension creeps in.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:59 pm

That is a great pic, Chisamba. Titanium and Annabelle have matching blazes. :)

Dresseur, that canter is starting to look pretty fancy!

I have 4 rides in on Kyra so far. Whatever Susan's been doing with ground work and riding at the walk has really improved her. The new bridle setup is helping too, I think. She is better than she's ever been over the 2 years or so that I've ridden her intermittently.

Yesterday's exercise for both Annabelle and Kyra was counter shoulder in, then volte, then LY away from the wall. Kyra did pretty well with this, I had to take out the CSI for Annabelle, though in the video evidence, it would have been hard to even call what she was doing CSF. I got Annabelle a new saddle that fits her new, beefier back shape better, and the seat is also flatter/deeper, so I think we were both struggling and adjusting a little yesterday. Conveniently, A's old saddle fits Miss Kyra to a T, so now everybody's happy, I hope.
Keep calm and canter on.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Chisamba, I really enjoy that photo of you and Titanium, I'm glad you are feeling reproducible effects! In terms of my saddle, it's definitely an optical illusion. Now, do I need to sit down and back a little more, absolutely! lol. But, the pad that I'm using tends to tuck up into the gullet, so it looks like it's floating above his back. I actually hate this pad overall because I think it looks funny. Not sure if this pic shows where his back is better or not.
IMG_5223.PNG
IMG_5223.PNG (138.37 KiB) Viewed 18766 times

For anyone who's wondering, we started these working piris for strength, and to help him with the technique in the front and hind. I want him to pick his knees up a bit more in the canter, and I want him to take a larger step behind. These are quite large - 15/20 meters and I alternate between pushing the canter out a bit in the movement and asking for a bit more bend (haunches in) but he has to not grab the bridle, so I need to let go in the hand a lot.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:01 pm

Dresseur wrote:Chisamba, I really enjoy that photo of you and Titanium, I'm glad you are feeling reproducible effects! In terms of my saddle, it's definitely an optical illusion. Now, do I need to sit down and back a little more, absolutely! lol. But, the pad that I'm using tends to tuck up into the gullet, so it looks like it's floating above his back. I actually hate this pad overall because I think it looks funny. Not sure if this pic shows where his back is better or not.
IMG_5223.PNG

For anyone who's wondering, we started these working piris for strength, and to help him with the technique in the front and hind. I want him to pick his knees up a bit more in the canter, and I want him to take a larger step behind. These are quite large - 15/20 meters and I alternate between pushing the canter out a bit in the movement and asking for a bit more bend (haunches in) but he has to not grab the bridle, so I need to let go in the hand a lot.

thats exactly what i thought, i thought it looked like it was floating, but like i said in the comment, i was not certain if it was an illusion or not, lol.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:40 am

I got my horse fix today. 11 long days since I have seen the princess beast.

I actually worked her a bit at liberty. I don't want to chance getting jerked on so I kicked her loose in our indoor. It is on the smaller side and oval so works fine for liberty if said horsey wants to work with you. Last time I tried to use the indoor for liberty, I got the royal horsey finger and she simply ran for 20 minutes :roll: . Not so much as an ear flick in my direction. She did not want to be with me AT ALL. Not my idea or vision of what our session would be. Today was 180 degrees from that thankfully. We did some trot/canter/trot work and I was able to get her nicely aligned and nice level transitions instead of her head tipped and her hauling herself into canter with her neck.

Straightforward wants to use her for a lesson the end of the month so we are working to get her a little more fit. Before my surgery she was getting lots of walking and quite a bit of lateral work in walk. What she needs now is a bit more aerobic capacity. She plans on riding 3-4x/week and I can lunge or round pen her a couple times of week so she should be up to one lesson.

After her aerobic work, I tried Karen R's exercise for posture. OMG...never thought what I got was possible. She demonstrates the exercise with the horse haltered. The halter is just used for momentary corrections. Me however, I was too lazy to go get her halter and thought I would try it without one. The idea of this posture exercise is to get them to #1 elevate the wither and #2 close up the hind leg and get it to bear more weight. You just use your finger lightly on the base of the neck where the neck meets the chest. Of course, keeping straightness and not allowing any backward thought. I initially asked for the neck/wither raise from a stationery position. I got some but she started to swing her haunches in. As I asked her to straighten, she draped her neck beautifully and offered the nicest, most relaxed half steps. I wasn't asking for that much. Simply some loading of the haunches but she was quite happy to give me more. No equipment, simply my fingers lightly on her neck. I was able to reproduce it on both sides. I did have to be very vigilant on her straightness and I had to correct some backward steps a couple times but that exercise certainly didn't tax my back and above all, she stayed with me. She is not shy about leaving if the urge strikes her and she stuck to me like glue :mrgreen: . Such a fun little mare :mrgreen: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 pm

I've ridden with Mette the last two days. I asked her to help me sort out Laddie's trot. It became very obvious in about 2 minutes that he was basically giving me the finger when I put my leg on, and just noodling around at his own tempo, which is really darned hard to sit and develop any decent movements out of. So we spent the first day getting him truly reactive to my leg and seat and got some really nice trot work, which spilled over into the canter as well of course. Yesterday, he came out much more willing to actually work and respond right from the start and I was really happy with the work that we got. We worked on the movements in the 2.3 Test. Now I have to channel her when I'm riding it again next Sunday...

Good Lord it was hot, though. Far too hot to ride outside, and the indoor at the facility we were at might be huge, but it has very poor ventilation and no through draft at all, and they'd watered the crap out of the footing, so it was like riding in a Turkish bath. I swear I lost 4lbs in the past two days. It's also one of those barns with lots of access points from the arena into busy side aisles, so lots of spooking opportunities!

But, it made us have to work on being much more efficient in getting what we wanted without dragging it out as nauseam, which I think is always a good thing.

I need to get the video downloaded off my camera, but I'll see if there's anything worthwhile in it to share.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Nice report, Mountaineer. The point you brought out about “being much more efficient in getting what we wanted without dragging it out as nauseum” hits home. I tend to drag things out when left to my own devices. It takes some grit to get on with the program. Having an excellent trainer is helping me in that respect, because I see what she gets out of my horse. When there is no question that the horse is capable, I tend to get motivated.

But the HEAT part!! That takes more than grit. It takes “true grit”!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:09 pm

kimba clinic small.jpg
kimba clinic small.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 18539 times
Just to prove i did actually ride Kimba in the clinic. a friend did take some photos its not actually a fabulous photo, but we are all matching in black and white, lol

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Very lovely picture, Chisamba. You two make a balanced looking pair. The black and white theme is just the icing on the cake!

Return to “Dressage Training”