Are we ready for the July August goals thread?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Are we ready for the July August goals thread?

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 pm

I think I caught Rosie's pneumonia. :lol: Probably just a combo of heat, smoke and grain dust, but I had a low grade fever last week in addition to this annoying cough, and so I took a few days off of riding. By Sunday I felt better, and after a lovely day with ds and mom up in Sun Valley, I came home and rode.

With Rudy, I noodled around wondering why i couldn't get the feel I wanted, until I remembered my quest to perfect my hh's. My timing is still far from perfect but I think it's getting better--at least he responds more quickly now--and he certainly has a much more cadenced trot. I counted tempo out loud to make sure he wasn't changing the tempo when I asked for a change in stride length. Did that in the canter as well. People driving by probably thought I was nuts. :P Anyway, right or wrong, Rudy seems to be enjoying my new focus and is offering up a whole new level of "throughness" and "forwardness" once he realizes I'm not going to let him run through my hh. In exchange, he's allowed to point out when I am not sitting correctly or when I'm looking down instead of through his ears. This is a dance/partnership after all. ;)

Tio showed off his right lead canter this ride. While the steering was still a little iffy and his head was "above the bit", his hind leg was right up under my seat and he was reaching well out with his shoulders. It's all a matter of strength, balance and confidence--no different than when he was figuring out that right lead on the lunge and then with me in a 2-point. I just try to stay out of his way while still guiding him towards the best way of using himself. I love this time in a green horse's training, because I can practically hear the wheels turning in their little brains, and I can feel the sense of pride when they finally sort it all out. Lately, he's been "practicing" when he and Rudy gallop around the pasture, trying to match Rudy's maneuvers. So fun to watch.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 am

MC, that last pic is in the warmup. A stretch to counteract the 'teapot' pose he can get. Why wouldn't you care if they were on the forehand for the stretch? I know I find it difficult to get the weight back off if I let it happen?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:15 am

Flight, sent you a PM.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 pm

I, too, have caught Rosie's pneumonia (I'm 98% sure, although my family and boyfriend are adamant that "it's just a head cold". PSHAW TO THAT, I SAY).

As a result, Kiwi and i have just been dawdling around the pasture on trail rides the last couple days. She doesn't seem to mind.

There's a little Welsh stallion that came in for a month of training on Sunday. Kiwi has never moved so fancy in the pasture as when he's looking.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:14 pm

I do not particularly like to whine, but we really have had more than enough rain in New Jersey. I am now struggling with horses getting hot spots, mud fever, scratches, and the like, from the unusually high wet and hot combination of weather this summer.

Image my pastures look like this.

For the first time since i took over running the barn i did not do night turn out, kept everyone in, and turned them out during the day for a few less hours. my horses that live out have shelter and can come and go as they like but the turn outs near the barn have no shelter, and hardly any dry spots.

kimba is one that has been afflicted with hot spots, so is in light work, just enough to keep her moving and help reduce local inflammation.

of course the biting flies are vicious too.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Flight wrote:MC, that last pic is in the warmup. A stretch to counteract the 'teapot' pose he can get. Why wouldn't you care if they were on the forehand for the stretch? I know I find it difficult to get the weight back off if I let it happen?
Well, my horse is much greener. She has a short/tight back and the warmup stretching is necessary to get her loosened up. I don't have any trouble getting her together and up after she has been warmed up and loose.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Chisamba wrote:I do not particularly like to whine, but we really have had more than enough rain in New Jersey. I am now struggling with horses getting hot spots, mud fever, scratches, and the like, from the unusually high wet and hot combination of weather this summer.

Image my pastures look like this.

For the first time since i took over running the barn i did not do night turn out, kept everyone in, and turned them out during the day for a few less hours. my horses that live out have shelter and can come and go as they like but the turn outs near the barn have no shelter, and hardly any dry spots.

kimba is one that has been afflicted with hot spots, so is in light work, just enough to keep her moving and help reduce local inflammation.

of course the biting flies are vicious too.
OMG Chisamba! I thought I had it bad, but I have nothing like this. My old guy never stepped a foot outside in the summer even with complete freedom to do so. Both of mine haven't been out for a long time. They are free to go, but choose to stay in the barn. They are not locked in stalls though. I have an open barn; a very unorthodox setup.

I don't know what hot spots are, but the chestnut gelding always has scurf and gets seedy toe in the summer humidity. It's getting too much to handle.

There is no break in sight with this weather. Yesterday when I rode (in the indoor) it was like 90% humidity. You could feel the water in in the air. Of course I did very little work. I can't get this horse fit this summer due to weather. My trot/canter work lasts at best 15 minutes. The rest is walking. Pffft.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Musical comedy, hot spots is a term used for dogs, but i really feel like that is what i have, you get a very small skin abrasion, it gets moist, then it gets hot and inflamed and swollen, ( moist dermatitis). the dermatitis can be bacterial, fungal or yeast. anyway, they are hot, inflamed swollen and painful. I am treating topically for everything, ( bacterial yeast and fungus) and have the afflicted ones on oral antibiotics. yes they were seen by a vet, the worst case turned into cellulitis, poor Emma, and so had to have compression bandages, as well.

i suppose in horses it might be called mud fever, but it is not limited to the pastern areas, as scratches or mud fever is usually. I have patches on hocks, knees, around the chestnut on the front leg, etc

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Flight wrote:MC, that last pic is in the warmup. A stretch to counteract the 'teapot' pose he can get. Why wouldn't you care if they were on the forehand for the stretch? I know I find it difficult to get the weight back off if I let it happen?

Flight, i am not watching you so i possibly cannot tell you how to do it, i know what i would do, but i also know what my horses know. But i will say this, your horse should be able to stretch, go on the forehand, even, and come back when asked, it is part of the elasticity needed to achieve upper level test dressage.

Now, i can give what i feel is a very important piece of advice. Never avoid what you cannot do, do it again and again until you do it well. For example, if your horse does not pick up the left lead, you have to work on it til its easy, because it is essential in the training of a horse to be able to pick up each lead whenever you want.

If you cannot stretch your horse and then get it back uphill, do it again and again and again until its easy because it is as essential as being able to pick up both leads, in the long term training of a horse.

in your picture of the stretch, i would recommend two things different, first, the horses tempo should be controlled by your seat and or posting rhythm, and not by the reins, it looks to me like he is running on the long rein, which would be why it may be difficult to establish balance. secondly if your horse was properly accepting the bit, the stretch would show a a more nose out position, and the canter photo would show a more vertical head position.

if you were a student of mine, i would suggest you shorten your reins, do not pull back, but keep your hands still, and ride the horse back to front. you would need to have the ability to hesitate, (slow, half halt, or whatever you want to call it, ) the front end while you ride the back end under. this is true for all speeds and gaits. this would both improve his balance, his tempo and his ability to stretch and come back fluently. I did however mean what i said in the beginning where i said I do not know what you and your horse know, so my advice to a pupil of mine may not in any way help you. the horse does not always perfectly adapt to this, they may get a bit heavy in front, they may even stiffen, as they learn, but they do get to where they are adjustable, and then you can ride them up and out and still have the back end, the back and the shoulder between your aids

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm

same. I only stretch if the contact is good/pushing and the horse stays lifted in the sternum. I don't also warm up in stretching much for this reason. I do a lot mid- and end of ride. (depends on the horse- mine is very wiggly, prone to rushing and going BTV- worst case scenario to start in long reins I have NOTHING to work with).

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Oh my, Chisamba, Musical Comedy. I've been bitching about how hot it is out here (San Francisco Bay Area, East Bay), but while there are occasionally humid days, they're nothing like you're describing. I will stop complaining. I was so down after the UC Davis verdict, even thought I kinda knew it was coming, that I didn't ride for the following two days, using the mid-90s temps as an excuse, but they are eminently bearable compared to what you are experiencing. Maybe they just seem worse to me since I work in the City, where it rarely reaches any higher than the mid to high 70s, then I go home to what I call "the hot box." Supposed to be merely mid-80s today, so I anticipate a nice (walking) ride after work. can't really tackle re-educating my spotty boy to the trails until the weekends.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Flight, this is why I'm working so hard to get a quicker, more correct response to my hh. I too have been told, at times, that I need to slow Rudy's front end, but no one really says exactly how to do that. My solution is to "perfect" my hh--Rudy and I have our struggles over this. 1) because I have an imperfect seat, 2) I have imperfect timing and 3)it's "hard" for him to do right now. So I just try to be as correct, simple and quiet as I can be. Even last night, when we both struggled mightily, we were both eventually successful. One of the ways I know I've done things "right" is that when I asked for a stretchy trot, he keeps the tempo and follows the rein down but mostly out. I consider it a triumph anytime I can get Rudy to push his nose out while stretching through his back and keeping his withers up. I'm sure Rudy considers it a triumph anytime he can get me to sit in the right spot, with my head and chest up and my hands pushing forward. We reward each other. :mrgreen:

To refresh your memory, Rudy is what people often refer to as my "Iberian TB". He has huge withers, a high-set, ewe neck and an ultrashort back. In nature, he likes to pose like a chess piece, breaking at the third vertebra. He has a TB's tendency to rush, and an Iberian's tendency to drop his back. Like Rye's horse, he can somehow bend his neck and body in multiple directions all at the same time and wiggle out of almost anything. But his fantastic brain and my determination, I think we can make it to PSG.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:50 pm

We’ve had a respite from the heat but things will be back to HOT tomorrow. I used the two days of 80’s in the morning to do work in the pastures and arena.

I’m on schedule for my July/August goals. I am really getting good use out of the Equilab app. I use it every time I ride. Either I was just unaware (a strong possibility!) of the scope of the app, or they keep adding features, but I am finding it more and more helpful. Even tho I am only keeping Emma in light work, I recently added her to the app after I realized how easy and helpful it is in keeping track of things.

I am continuing to regain strenth in my seat. I felt so confident today that I almost videoed my ride. Then chickened out at the last minute. My reasoning (excuse :oops: ) was that it was very windy and DH wasn’t home. It was so windy that while I was tacking up, it blew over a heavy metal dairy milk can that I keep whips and brooms in. Rocky jumped about 6 feet in the air when the metal can hit the concrete! I figured I would be doing good if I could just concentrate on my ride and not have to worry about my iPhone/tripod arrangement blowing down the centerline...

The ride was good in spite of the wind. She was “blowing” in rhythm at the trot and she was focused. She got feisty at one point (she is half Arabian after all, and she gets turned on in the wind!) She decided to she needed to gallop. Although I have added canter back into our arena routine, it needs to be my idea and not hers, so I did a 10 m circle and brought her back to trot. She shook her head but “submitted :o” and went back to work.

It is such slow going with us, but when I compare where we were last year at this time, I am pleased with the progress. I am still planning to have a video by the end of this month.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:22 am

Demi, I am super impressed with your steady at your own pace progress. I totally forgot that Rocky is half Arabian! I love all of the ride reports. She is really changing (probably you are too).

Flight, one thought on stretching the big fellow is that a sitting stretchy trot might help you keep him more balanced (and know when to quit and pick him up).

Mountaineer, that is a super solid score, especially with the knowledge of points that you didn't attend to. Very well done--and in HEAT.

Sue, I'm impressed with the Tio update! Sounds like you have two nice horses to work and bring up in training :-)

Everyone under the weather: Please take care, get support and help (MD and more) needed and be patient with recovery. It just takes time.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:00 am

I'm grateful that we have dry heat, if it must be so hot. It really is easier to keep horses here, even if we don't have pasture, because we don't have molds and rots and fungus and skin crud.

It has of course been a bit cooler the past couple of days. We are expecting "significant storms" on Friday afternoon, apparently, which is equally worrying with all the burn scarring on steep hillsides here.

Laddie is having a few days off while I contemplate the concept of third level at the RMDS show at the end of September. I've promised my show buddy I will go, and I'll do 2nd level championships (and she will beat me as always :)) on the first day, but then I'm kind of hanging around for 2 days for the rest of the show and maybe should give it a go at the open show. Can we waffle our way through third one a couple of times at 60% and get our bronze medal before they change the tests (and potentially the medal requirements?) Or should we be content with second this year... Don't know. The comments and scores might be useful to set us up for our winter's work. We'll have to plink around with the FCs and a few other things over the net couple of weeks to see if it's worth it or would just be embarrassing...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:00 am

Mountaineer, go for it. 3rd rides easier than second if you have all the components.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 pm

demi wrote: I almost videoed my ride.

I want to see more too :)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Work is sucking my soul right now. That is all.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Dresseur wrote:Work is sucking my soul right now. That is all.

sorry Dresseur,

I too am amid a six day sixty hour stretch, ( ten of those hours making up for taking off for the fair) but it can be exhausting when combined with riding and taking care of the horses.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Dresseur wrote:Work is sucking my soul right now. That is all.

Same here.
thanks for people's inputs, i'll have to have another read and reply better soon once i have some soul back in the next day or so before it starts again.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Flight and Dresseur, I am sorry to hear about the soul sucking. Can I just ask what field you guys are in that is sucking your soul?

I am in science and am lucky that my job is more like a hobby. Both my daughters are going into science partly for this reason.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm

I'm an associate creative director and while I really enjoy what I do, it's hard to be on all the time. Also, I'm the lead creative on several large, national accounts that are gearing up for TV production and are launching new campaigns, and the timelines are all right on top of each other, so I'm working pretty crazy hours and trying to get all the riding in that I can, while being an attentive wife and good partner as well.

Also, personally, I'm feeling rather ragey because I'm seeing someone who, through the book she wrote, has hoodwinked people into thinking she's a kind, caring, classical rider, all the while she's ripping and sawing her horse through GP test after GP test, (the photos, if posted, would make people absolutely cringe) desperately trying to get scores since they lied about her being a GP rider and trainer before she ever did any of those things. I saw the training in person, weeks on end with a bloody mouth, while they tried bit after bit to find something that wouldn't make the horse bleed, and the orchestrator of it all, kicking sand over the blood spatters so that short course students and people watching couldn't see it.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Dresseur wrote:Also, personally, I'm feeling rather ragey because I'm seeing someone who, through the book she wrote, has hoodwinked people into thinking she's a kind, caring, classical rider, all the while she's ripping and sawing her horse through GP test after GP test......(
Well, we're going off topic here, but I am also ragey about someone that is real harsh and an awful person (imo) getting great scores at GP and others while milking rich naive clients. I don't know why I care, but it just irks me like your situation irks you.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:28 pm

That irks me as well MC.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:47 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Dresseur wrote:Also, personally, I'm feeling rather ragey because I'm seeing someone who, through the book she wrote, has hoodwinked people into thinking she's a kind, caring, classical rider, all the while she's ripping and sawing her horse through GP test after GP test......(
Well, we're going off topic here, but I am also ragey about someone that is real harsh and an awful person (imo) getting great scores at GP and others while milking rich naive clients. I don't know why I care, but it just irks me like your situation irks you.

Irks me too - I think it is because we are human and have a conscience about our actions. These awful people do not.

2 more sleeps til my riding clinic, getting everything ready tonight and will haul out tomorrow. Pretty excited!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Oh, and I hope that those that are not feeling well, or stuck in a funk, feel better soon!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Tuddy, good luck, I'm excited for you!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:22 pm

musical comedy wrote:

Remember when the internet wanted to kill the rich adult amie who rode a bad ride?

Yet there are professionals behave worse on a daily basis. It's a strange thing. Crank nose and closed with pliers every day every show. For example.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:50 pm

Dresseur, that sounds full on (your work). I wouldn't even understand how it all works. I'm just a flight paramedic but have taken a spot facilitating the training and currencies for our paras, and we have to do it in a training facility 3hrs from home. So gearing up for the next round of training which means a few days away from home each week, plus a few extra shifts at home to cover the roster. For the past 20 years I've been used to just doing my shift and going home, but this liaising with people with their corresponding personalities is a new one! Hurts my head :D
Dresseur, I know the book you mean and it is written all caring and light so I can understand your ragey-ness! That's frustrating.

Tuddy, have a great clinic!

I've got to go clear out the feedshed as i'm stocking up on some hay while I can still get some. Costing me an arm and a leg too. Damn drought.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 pm

“Just” a flight paramedic!! That’s impressive. Our post office is right next to the hospital and more than once I’ve seen the Star Flight helicopter landing. My pulse starts to race and I get an adrenaline rush JUST watching. Well, now we know how you got your screen name...

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:31 am

Flight was actually my first horse when I was a teenager :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:24 am

Dresseur wrote:I'm an associate creative director and while I really enjoy what I do, it's hard to be on all the time. Also, I'm the lead creative on several large, national accounts that are gearing up for TV production and are launching new campaigns, and the timelines are all right on top of each other, so I'm working pretty crazy hours and trying to get all the riding in that I can, while being an attentive wife and good partner as well.

I understand the concurrent deadlines. I'm an art director and made the jump from fundraising/social activism to the political sphere a few years ago. It went from giving Tuesday and end of year (plus everything in between) to all the primaries and November 6. The rest of the year I'm wondering why we're not planning ahead :shock: (We are, but you know how it goes).

demi

Postby demi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Progress. I took Rocky on the trails today in my dressage tack. I’ve been riding her in the pasture with dressage tack and taking her on the trails in it was the next step. I walked the whole time but I feel that I can start trotting her out there eventually. It will be good exercise for both of us when we are able to trot up our hill. I’ve trotted her up the same hill in western tack but I can never get a good position in it. Trail riding in the dressage tack is good for regaining my confidence, but it’s also good for my dressage seat.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 pm

demi wrote:Trail riding in the dressage tack is good for regaining my confidence, but it’s also good for my dressage seat.

I'm probably more secure in my dressage saddle than in a western saddle because 1) my dressage saddle has huge knee rolls, and 2) the last thing I ever think to do is grab the horn or the front of the saddle, so any extra saddle is just something hard to slam into when things go south.

The only reason I even ride a western saddle is if it fits the horse better, but I just set up another pad with shims so I can now ride my mule in my dressage saddle, which just happens to be the most comfortable saddle I own.

In fact, I just put my 9 year old granddaughter in my dressage saddle for her.lesson, and she was funny because I had to keep suggesting she sit down because she kept standing up in it because it was so easy. :-) I also just switched her to a greener horse. She was nervous about it when I told her she was going to ride Grampa's horse, but then she got into training him and had a really good ride. AFAIK, Grampa's horse had spent most of his life as an occasional trail horse, so he doesn't have his first clue about how to keep going in the ring, or stay on the track, or make a turn, or circle, or much of anything. But he's a good guy and the granddaughter likes working with him so I think they're going to be a good match.

So now I just need to figure out how I'm going to attach saddle bags and the breeching to my dressage saddle.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:41 pm

I was able to rip and level my indoor , and work the footing so I am now happy with it again. This being great because i feel like i can work the horses without having to worry about hard spots. Kimba is over her hot spots ( scratches, mud fever, whatever you want to call it) mostly, and back in work. I have had an interesting time of not being able to do the simple things well, but her throwing her whole soul into the hard stuff. We are still somewhat able to repeat the positives we achieved in the clinic, and I am thinking of scouting around for a rated show before the season is competely over

I think i have sold Acacia to the young rider who used her in the pony club, and as I have retired Deneb to all by in hand work, that means Titan is getting some good riding in, and hopefully will gradually improve.

ride happy, everyone

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Things were going really smoothly and on schedule but now there’s a glitch. Rocky is sore on the right front. About 8 weeks ago she took a large chunk out of her right front hoof somehow while out on pasture. She was due for her 6 week trim a couple of days later, and the farrier smoothed it out but couldn’t completely balance it since too much hoof was missing. She wasn’t lame so I kept riding her, thinking that by the time her next trim was due, she would get balanced. Her second trim was 2 weeks ago and she is still not completely balanced. And she is now lame :(. In hind sight, I probably should have had front shoes put on at least for a while instead of burying my head in the sand and hoping everything would be ok. I have an appointment to take her in to the vet tomorrow.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 pm

That's a bummer, Demi. I assume Rocky is barefoot? Could dry conditions (very hard ground) be having an impact? [no pun intended] Let us know what you learn. When Emi loses a chunk of hoof, it is usually due to being slightly long with the trim cycle (like 6 weeks instead of 5) combined with hard, dry conditions. It is usually a hind hoof when it happens and I do what do you did in this case and have not have repercussions.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:56 pm

Yes, she’s barefoot and the dry conditions could be POTP. Plus we have a lot of rocks. I really like having barefoot horses when possible, but since I’ve been doing more than walking outside of the arena, I’ve been thinking that I may need to put front shoes on anyway.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 pm

I like having a barefoot horse, too. I deal with a little bit of gravel and some rocks on trails, but most of our non-arena riding is on grass/dirt so it is a good match for Em's hooves. If I were on rockier ground, I'd go with boots for the trails, part because I don't want to impact the nice hooves she's developed.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 pm

I have lost track of this thread. Llfe got chaotic for me and I wasn't even reading this board for awhile. So apologies if I've missed anything ... I'm sure I have.

For the first time since Oct 2017, I showed Jet this past weekend. I rode Third-1 and Third-2. I was NOT happy with his warm-up as he was very tight in the neck & back and, subsequently, I had NOWHERE to sit the trot. Embarrassingly, during the tests I had to resort to grabbing my Mattes half pad fluff at the front to anchor myself for one of the medium trots, and then I posted (discretely) the extended trot diagonal (judge didn't call me on it, so I doubt it was obvious compared to my otherwise bumpy ride!).

Regardless, Jet's tests were SO much better than the warm-up. He was responsive, tried to be round even on his stiff (right) side, and was obedient. I thought both changes were clean in Third-1 but only got a 5.0 for each with the comment, "late behind" for both. I watched the video and he stutter-stepped both changes very slightly (both hinds landing together) so that was the "late" component, which is fair. But for Jet, that's tremendous when I remember that 2-3 years ago he NEVER changed clean, and often simply never changed behind! In Third-2 he had one clean change which got him a 7.0 with the comment, "good jump" which is a huge compliment for Jet (and I). The second change I set up horribly so he tried to change very obediently but missed behind, but then corrected himself (on his own) behind after 2 strides, which again is HUGE for him, so it was win-win despite the errors.

The judge is renowned for being a very tough marker. We still managed a 63% for Third-1 and a 60% for Third-2 (he was tired and more strung out in Third-2, and I rode it poorly). The 63% was the 2nd highest score of the day. So, again, I was pleased.

In other news, I'm driving Jet more and getting him ready to do a CDE in early October (Combined Driving Event). I think he'll rock it in the driven dressage portion! And he loves the trails so I can't wait to break out my new marathon carriage and see how he does.

If Finn (my 4 yr old Hano/Shire) is ready by then, I'll take him, too, as he loves his harness work. He is currently at the 6-wk mark with under-saddle training and doing quite well. He had a dental problem last month that was corrected, and a wobbly hip earlier this month (needs more straight-line work and conditioning as he's a big, lanky boy). But he isn't pulling any monkey business this time, no bucking anyone off, and I GOT TO RIDE HIM LAST WEEK!!!! Yay, my first time on his back. We walked & trotted and I grinned like a Cheshire cat. It was all in the trainer's western saddle (ugh, WIDE!!) but I still enjoyed it.

Meanwhile, my daughter turned 11 earlier this month and seems to have rekindled her interest in riding. She lost interest over the last winter and then moreso after breaking her arm in the spring (not equine related, it was from an errant alpaca!!). As of July, she is excited to ride again, so she showed yesterday and got 63% in both of her Walk-Trot tests. It was her first time showing her new (as of last summer) QH gelding, Sawyer, and they looked super together. I'm so happy she's back on a horse and eager to do more!

Not much else going on. I haven't ridden Panache in two months because of time constraints. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching my gorgeous Hano-Shire filly grow up (now almost 3 mo old, and shedding out to black). My Cdn Sporthorse mare, Lexi (Hano-TB) was finally confirmed in foal for a May 2019 baby (by Sir Wanabi, Hano) so that's exciting and the baby should be dark bay or black, but we'll see. My daughter's old Welsh pony, Sera, is now 20 yrs old and developed Cushing's earlier this year with some low-grade laminitis. She's now doing better with shoes/pads and, of course, pergolide.

And once I solve the death of my 2nd well on my property (the first completely died during my 1st week of vacation two weeks ago!), my sanity may stabilize (don't hold your breath). Ugh!!

(Will post relevant photos of all the above news when I'm on my home computer.)
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Opinions needed: I can either drive a longish way (I think about 1.5 hours) and take some lessons on schoolmasters, or drive 40 minutes* and do the same. The 1.5 hour away one, I don't know anything about, so have to investigate. The closer one, hmmm....well. Friend/low level trainer speaks well of closer one. My observations (several years old) are that she was more of a crank and spank type. I'm thinking - should I try local one first, believing that I have the strength of will to "just say no," if she wants me to ride abusively, and maybe find out that she isn't like that at all, or just passw on her entirely based on my prior impression and try the further away one? (As I write this, I'm thinking the response is probably going to be, "Do both!" :lol:

*my only vehicle is a 3/4 Silverado HD.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Good job on the showing DJR! Sounds like your life is as busy as ever. I hope your well problems are easily solvable and relatively shallow!

Hot4, I'd give the local one a go. Leopards can change their spots. I train a couple of times a month now with someone who I described a few years ago as having the hardest hands of any rider I knew. She's seen the light (see what I did there?) and is now lovely to watch and sensible to ride with, without being a woo-woo pushover.

Talking of leopards, it started hailing here a minute ago and my old appy, Walker, who tells me he "can't canter properly at all, no really, not one step" has just gone streaking past my office window towards his shelter, not a bunny-hop behind to be seen...

Yes indeed, it is cold and wet here in the mountains today. I'll take it for a change.

I hope Rocky is OK, Demi.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:18 pm

Moutaineer wrote:G
Talking of leopards, it started hailing here a minute ago and my old appy, Walker, who tells me he "can't canter properly at all, no really, not one step" has just gone streaking past my office window towards his shelter, not a bunny-hop behind to be seen...

Yes indeed, it is cold and wet here in the mountains today. I'll take it for a change.

I've owned four Appies since 1977. They are the quirkiest/most smart a$$ horses I know, and I love them. My first one was a sweet heart, but an escape artist. There wasn't a stall that could hold him if he could get his nose anywhere near the latch. He disassembled a porta-stall at a horse trial to get at a bale of alfalfa across the way. The second was a total grump, but cvompletely trustworthy and would jump anything. Safest horse I've ever ridden and a real "off the road vehicle" - but he just wanted to be left alone unless there was a trail to tackle, a jump to take. Third was a second-gen TBX who was FASCINATED by heavy earthmoving equipment or anything wheeled that was bigger than a car. He was a sweetheart, like the first one. I owned him 20 years and had to euthanize him in 2010. Still tear up thinking of him. You all know about the beautiful/talented/lame whacko I have now. Sigh.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am

demi wrote:Yes, she’s barefoot and the dry conditions could be POTP. Plus we have a lot of rocks. I really like having barefoot horses when possible, but since I’ve been doing more than walking outside of the arena, I’ve been thinking that I may need to put front shoes on anyway.

Or, if you're up for the learning curve you could just boot her when the ground is hard. The reason I prefer boots is because then they're still conditioning the hoof when they're not booted, while shoes protect the hoof all the time so they lose what they'd previously gained. I also don't want to shoe when the ground is too hard, because of the concussion problems. So shoes are more convenient (call the farrier every six weeks and s/he does all the work), but I think the hooves stay much healthier when they're only booted when they need it.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:07 pm

I think you’re right, Kande. I just hate the thought of messing with boots. I’ll worry about it after I hear what the vet says this morning ...

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Rocky has a small tear in the suspensory. Vet says 2-4 months recovery. He said I can and should ride her at a walk up to 20 minutes 2X a day. She can also be turned out as long as she is quiet. I don’t think management will be an issue, but I a bummed out about losing the training time, especially since I was just getting up to speed.

I am thinking about ramping Emma’s program back up. I don’t really want to keep two horses in full work, but....

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Hot4spots, I would try both trainers for a while if you can, and then decide. Too bad you don’t live closer to Pleasanton. I boarded at Yarra Yarra for several years and I really like Carolyn Adams.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Demi so sorry for the bad news with Rocky. I swear I sometimes feel we take a big step forward only to have to take 2 steps back. I hope the rehab goes well.

Hot4spots, I agree with Demi, try both and see which one you click with. Learning from a trainer is such a personal thing IMO. What works for one person just does not resonate with another.

Sounds like a successful show DJR! And yeah on riding your young giant:) Glad your daughter has found her love of riding again. That is fun to share.

Not much exciting going on with Gaila other than she has learned to chase the pig. Trying to get her to lose some weight which she is holding on to mightily. Trainer so far has not run into too much difficulty, but will be stepping it up some I hope this week, the 3rd week she is there.

Rip is going very well, answering all the questions I am asking with not too much fuss and I am riding more in the arena again to make me be more precise. Was running through some of the requirements at 2nd yesterday, from SI to HI to CC and simple changes and not too much problem with them. I need to clean up the simple changes on the serpentine (easier for some reason on the diagonal or straightway). Sitting the mediums will be difficult, am going to play a bit and see if I can get them a little easier. Aiming for a schooling show next month at 2nd level which is has been 2 yrs since I've shown and no idea how long since I showed 2nd. Probably with his dam which was years ago! I feel pretty confident in his work IF he will keep his brain engaged. I swear I do not think this horse will ever out grown some of his shenanigans! Probably won't touch the changes until after the show but no reason why he cannot go there. Been addressing all the prep questions from the trot canter transitions even into CC to counter flexion at the canter and big thing now is to work more moving laterally in the canter. Have watched Karen R's FCs stuff and I like her approach.

I think my filly is ready to ride, so I either need to find someone to send her to (would love for Cedar to put the initial work on her BTW Cedar made her debut at GP and now had 50% of her required scores for her gold!) but Cedar is a good 8+ hour drive or get on her myself. Have not found anyone closer that I would send her to, while I really like the trainer that Gaila is at, not really best facility for my filly. If anyone knows of any trainer suitable for starting a young horse PM me their name! Georgia or N FL preferred. Next best would to get a local trainer to come in and help me some with Jo. She's pretty good and thinks outside the box as well.

Weight loss is still going well, I need to add in some regimented workout though. Not my strong suit! I am definitely not sedentary, usually walk 15,000 steps a day, but need some actual working out. Total loss I think is now 13 lbs. Kind of stagnated there a bit and now it is picking back up again.

Weather is muggy but temps have been cooler for us thank goodness! Still dealing with rain which is making the grass grow. Settling in to no kid at home/empty nest now and I think my DH and I are going to be OK! Helps DS calling and keeping us in the loop. Going to meet him halfway this weekend for lunch and bring him some stuff he left behind.

Happy riding all and stay cool!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Well, darn it, Demi! At least you caught it while it was small.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 pm

demi wrote:Hot4spots, I would try both trainers for a while if you can, and then decide. Too bad you don’t live closer to Pleasanton. I boarded at Yarra Yarra for several years and I really like Carolyn Adams.

Actually, Pleasanton is closer than either of the other two leads I was following. I know Carolyn, but wasn't aware they had school horses at Yarra Yarra. The person who recommended (another) local trainer rides with Carolyn and didn't mention that she had school horses. Guess I better check the Yarra Yarra site. :D

Return to “Dressage Training”