Are we ready for the July August goals thread?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Are we ready for the July August goals thread?

Postby Sue B » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:52 pm

sorry about the loss of your Golden CB06, hemangio can be so sudden and devastating!

Chisamba, i wish there was some magic for Deneb--can't say you didn't try your very best, but it is still sad.

Moutaineer, as a scheduler of shows in the past, I'll just say it is very difficult to please everyone. As a competitor, though, I would not be happy to have to hang around 5 hrs to do my second test in the same level. I wish there was some way to know ahead of entering that a show is going to be scheduled that way. :roll:

Tio is lame now, tore his hoof while I was trying to get a shoer. DH trimmed it best as he could to stop further damage but he really needs front shoes. At least I have someone thinking about maybe coming, or not.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Loss is hard— be It a beloved pet or dreams of a successful partnership. Condolences to both of you, cb06 and Chisamba.

Tasteless transition: Kiwi is doing stellar. I played with the canter work from 4-3 and nailed the 10m half circles from true to counter cantered both directions. All the shoulder fore in canter is paying off!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Chisamba, I am sorry to hear that, but from all you've posted about her, I think this is the best decision for both of you. You certainly gave her every chance and then some.

CB06, condolences on your dog. :(

Sue, sorry Tio is lame and it's so hard to get a shoer. There have been issues with shoers going around here too. Certainly gives me pause about taking on any horse that needs shoes. So frustrating.

We had a rough afternoon at the show. There was nowhere to lunge since they needed the indoor to run the short-court tests of which we were one. I spent a good chunk of time walking Annabelle around the grounds and she seemed to settle and didn't do any major spooks, so I saddled up and we went into the warmup arena, which is unfenced and surrounded by rose bushes. She was tense, but not terrible, but didn't take it well when horses passed close to her. Then we had the complication of the TD saying we needed a throatlatch on her bridle (PS Sweden Nirak) though the rules can be interpreted that it does not. Luckily I'd packed the throatlatch and put on the browband that it works with. I stopped to let her settle as I waited for someone to come back with the throatlatch, and she reared twice out of the blue. So I dismounted and we go the throatlatch on. At that point, there was no point in trying to get around the warmup arena, so I just went and waited outside the indoor. We had a super tense test and did not accomplish any cantering, but at least there were not big spooks or explosions.

Tomorrow we ride earlier, so I'm planning to get there well before the indoor rides start so I can hopefully lunge and let her burn off the nervous energy. If we can't lunge, I'll probably scratch my class and call it a lesson learned that any shows we go to must have a lunging area available, at least until her brain matures a bit.

I need a nap, and maybe a gin and tonic now.
Keep calm and canter on.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:40 pm

So sorry to hear about the losses. Cb06, that is never easy losing our beloved dogs to hemangiosarc. Nasty cancer that is. My condolences. That pup is awesome, though!

Chisamba - so sorry that Deneb has had to be retired. I definitely understand that choice. I hope she is more comfortable in the years to come.

Straightforward - that sucks about the show.

I haven't ridden Panache in over 3 wks. Life keeps getting in the way. This past week, in the heat wave that we've had, we had to put away hay. We finally finished today when just me and my 10-yr-old daughter put away the last 500 bales. To say that I ache all over is a serious understatement.

There is someone interested in Panache (to purchase). She has graciously waited a week to see him so that I can put some rides on him before she tries him. I'd love to sell him to downsize a bit now that Finn will be ready for riding this fall. Fingers crossed!

Now ... where did I put the Advil ...
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:23 am

Ponichiwa wrote:All the shoulder fore in canter is paying off!
d

Interesting to me, because I recently had a lesson and it was doing shoulder fore in canter and counter canter (shoulders over the leading leg) and it was quite hard! I hadn't realised how much my horses had their quarters that little bit in all the time. It will be interesting to see if it helps them once we are more comfortable in it.

Chisamba, sorry about Deneb, you've tried really hard with her.

Sue B, hope Tio's hoof grows out quickly for you. It's hard when you can't get hold of a farrier.

SF, tough time at the show hope the G & T helped! Hope it goes better today :)

demi

Postby demi » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:22 pm

SF, maybe a little gin and tonic for Annabelle before her test! Just be sure to give her a peppermint afterwards so the TD doesn’t smell alcohol on her breath haha. Seriously, good luck!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:44 pm

There is a video of I think Savoie working with a fourth level pair where she asked him to come down centerline in SF in canter and do C/T/C staying in SF. The guy struggled mightily with this exercise with the horse coming off the line and not staying in SF. They were showing at fourth.

After I saw that I decided I am going to learn that and practiced it a lot. I consider this one of those exercises that can break you off a plateau with what you can learn by yourself.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:44 pm

I felt my horse was ready to try a little CC. I came up the hill in f/d/o canter and we proceeded to CC on the grass surrounding the ring. I tried left first and he was concerned for a few seconds but then settled and we went around twice with no issue. Then we came up the hill in the other lead and took CC right and that was pure fine. Went around twice. I prevented myself from getting greedy and doing more though the thought crossed my mind. Now that I know he can handle a bit of CC I will be using it more and more to straighten him.

I have been riding him legs away in canter because he will stay in gait and on my seat. I don't want him to feel chased at all in this rehab. I did not ride legs away at CC but intend to work up to that.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:25 pm

demi wrote:SF, maybe a little gin and tonic for Annabelle before her test! Just be sure to give her a peppermint afterwards so the TD doesn’t smell alcohol on her breath haha. Seriously, good luck!

Well, I think she might prefer apple-tinis!

I did get yesterday's test back - 38.696% and no, that is not an eventing score. :lol: Judge's comments: "Tactful rider making intelligent choices due to tension and resistance in horse today to avoid huge arguments and possible danger. However, unable to perform test"

Today I got there early and lunged, then put her back on the trailer to eat and chill out. She was way better in the warmup with only one jump and scoot. She was tense for our test and spooked a couple times at the door but we completed T2 for a 57.885% including a 6.5 on gaits.

So, I guess we'll be looking for some more shows to go to this summer/fall and hopefully get her taking things more in stride as I'd like to be ready to show 1st next spring.
Keep calm and canter on.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:34 pm

StraightForward wrote:I did get yesterday's test back - 38.696% and no, that is not an eventing score. :lol: Judge's comments: "Tactful rider making intelligent choices due to tension and resistance in horse today to avoid huge arguments and possible danger. However, unable to perform test"

Today I got there early and lunged, then put her back on the trailer to eat and chill out. She was way better in the warmup with only one jump and scoot. She was tense for our test and spooked a couple times at the door but we completed T2 for a 57.885% including a 6.5 on gaits.

So, I guess we'll be looking for some more shows to go to this summer/fall and hopefully get her taking things more in stride as I'd like to be ready to show 1st next spring.
You're a good sport and a very brave rider. Good for you. It is not obvious from looking at your videos that your mare is hot, tense or spooky. She is young though. Has she been exposed to various places before you got her? That's the worst part about having a new horse; i.e. the getting them used to all new things and not really knowing what they're going to do. Looks like if you get her not tense/spooky, you'll pull off some good scores. Maybe take her to some venues and don't even show. Places like a hunter show or where you don't need to pay.

I wanted to ask you what is happening to Pickle. What a beautiful mare and beautiful mover. What a shame if she can't be made a dressage horse.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:20 am

musical comedy wrote:You're a good sport and a very brave rider. Good for you. It is not obvious from looking at your videos that your mare is hot, tense or spooky. She is young though. Has she been exposed to various places before you got her? That's the worst part about having a new horse; i.e. the getting them used to all new things and not really knowing what they're going to do. Looks like if you get her not tense/spooky, you'll pull off some good scores. Maybe take her to some venues and don't even show. Places like a hunter show or where you don't need to pay.

I wanted to ask you what is happening to Pickle. What a beautiful mare and beautiful mover. What a shame if she can't be made a dressage horse.

She is not hot, tense or spooky at home. I did show her intro at a tiny schooling show last fall, and took her to a trail horse challenge with the participants and horses dressed up for Halloween, then I hauled her out to ride a couple times a week last winter, so it's not like she's never been anywhere. She just gets a dose of adrenaline from the new situation and I hypothesize that it's her TB side that can only burn it off by running. However, she handled herself with much more decorum on the lunge this morning - no rearing straight up or leaping 4' off the ground and bolting. So I guess that's progress. I think with a fenced in arena and a little corner to ourselves, I could ride her through it, but not with big WBs coming right by adjacent to the show arena and rose bushes where the fence should be. We do have open shows here that are really cheap to enter, they just haven't lined up well with my schedule so far this year.

Miss Pickle is for sale as a project or brood mare. The trainer I had her at can ride her, but she is not reliable, and still shows a lot of fear after all this time. We just got through seven weeks of ulcer treatment, and I think they will recur if I put her back in training. It is just more than I can deal with, but it would be great if I could match her up with perhaps a brave young pro who is up to the the task. It is really a shame that this happened, and I can't afford to replace her anytime soon, so it's back to the quarter horses and mixed breeds for me, at least for the foreseeable future.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:24 pm

I have struggled mightlily with Kimba and canter, but yesterday we did picked up counter canter on the rail, did a counter canter half 20m circle then went across the diagonal to the correct lead. She managed to hold her canter quite well, we tried a bit of canter half pass, one direction is not difficult, the other, she wanted to loose her canter rhythm, so i transitioned, and tried again, second time was better.

re Deneb, i wrote a whole essay and the computer ate it, but she has been diagnosed with granulosa theta ovarian tumor, which accounts for the aggressive behavior on top of her reactive "normal" self. She seems to be very happy in her herd, and I am weighing the options for treatment

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Chisamba wrote:I have struggled mightlily with Kimba and canter, but yesterday we did picked up counter canter on the rail, did a counter canter half 20m circle then went across the diagonal to the correct lead. She managed to hold her canter quite well, we tried a bit of canter half pass, one direction is not difficult, the other, she wanted to loose her canter rhythm, so i transitioned, and tried again, second time was better.

re Deneb, i wrote a whole essay and the computer ate it, but she has been diagnosed with granulosa theta ovarian tumor, which accounts for the aggressive behavior on top of her reactive "normal" self. She seems to be very happy in her herd, and I am weighing the options for treatment

Chisamba, here's a suggestion. Often when I am preparing a long post, I type it out in an email, then cut and paste the content to the board. Avoids the getting eaten thing.

Oh my on Deneb. I hope there is some option for you there.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Chisamba, when I type a long post, i stop and save it as a draft every few minutes, works like a charm, easy to do. Sorry Deneb has a granulosa cell tumor. If you do go the surgery route, maybe have both ovaries removed?

Got a cryptic text from shoer inquiring my location, haven't heard back since. Meanwhile, Tio is moving better but not yet sound. I really wanted to take him to my coach's show this weekend--oh well.

I couldn't gin up the energy to Ride Rudy yesterday in this heat and smoke, but I did ride Saturday at least and worked simply on doing perfect ly in walk and trot. When I felt like the ly was good, I snuck in si for a few strides to see if I could keep the hind end engaged correctly. Yup, with this horse it worked quite well--maybe it made me sit straighter or maybe just kept Rudy more honest, or maybe both. I am not usually a big fan of ly in non-green horses, but ly has always been Rudy's bugaboo, even now he is exceptionally good at cheating the hind leg cross-over. I think fixing that here and now will fix his little cheats in the real lateral work and improve engagement. Strange, that an exercise in obedience can fix an issue in engagement, but I'll use whatever tool that works. Meanwhile, 90% of contact issues have completely resolved and the canter work is becoming wickedly fun.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm going to sound like a pessimist but my fear for surgery on Deneb is she injure herself or someone if I try it. People tend to underestimate her reactivity when I warn them and I already had a tech injured just xraying her jaw. They insist i cannot handle her because of insurance than scream for me when she does exactly what I warned and goes ballistic.

I'm feeling exceptionally stressed by it. I dont want to derail the training thread by going into huge detail. Which I've already approached doing

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm afraid I bailed on showing yesterday. It was forecast to be 97 degrees at the time of my ride, and the showgrounds are an hour and a half from the barn. 3 hours in a trailer in those temps just seemed like no fun at all for Laddie, for a really not very important score, especially as I wasn't feeling to great either thanks to the heat.

Sue B, Margo has me working on quite steep walk leg yields as a warm up exercise, to increase his hind end flexibility and to think about the reach needed for a good half pass.

She also had us working on Counter canter shoulder in last week. An interesting exercise that really makes you think about position and bend...

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Chisamba wrote:The sad update on Deneb is I decided to retire her.

I'm sorry to hear this, but it sounds like the best choice for Deneb and you.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Back from vacation (yes I take vacations and my horses have the time off, never found it to be an issue) and looking forward to getting back to work with the horses. Tsavo very interesting exercise you posted there with trot, canter trans in SI. Will have to give it a go.

SF so sorry about pickles, difficult decision I know. Hope you can get Annabelle out more, maybe when it cools off some?
DJR wow 500 bales with just the 2 of you, I cannot imagine! We had 347 but I had help thank goodness!
Mountaineer, don't blame you. Showing in that type of heat is no fun. Why I do not even contemplate it here in GA, showing in the summer. Too hard on everyone.
Chisamba, so sorry about Deneb, she is such a pretty mover. Gosh that is hard.
SueB having a good farrier is such a blessing, I don't know what I would do without mine. Hope you can get Tio sorted.

Great time in Maui with the family, back to the heat and humidity now. Losing my barn help, getting back a mare that has been gone for 8 yrs (rehomed her to someone who just had her as a pasture ornament, now she is 18 and not done anything, she was very Deneb like not safe US) will evaluate her and decide what to do. Will not rehome her again. DS goes off to college next month, still helping with my aging parents. Sigh, always something to interfere! Hoping to get Gaila off to the cowboy this weekend, shh not too loud she might pop another abscess!

Stay cool and happy riding!

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Thank you all. Hemangiosarcoma is indeed a horrible disease. :cry:

Chisamba, I am also sorry to hear about Deneb, but glad you got a diagnosis that confirms the source of her behavior changes... even though the options stink. :(

Will and I went to our first lesson in a couple months yesterday. I asked for a gymnastic type lesson. Boy did I get it!
Forward and back within trot (sitting, ugh) and canter, focusing on using seat only, steady rhythm and bend in half passes, counter canter and collected canter with more energy and jump.
My abs are sore today.
Will looking handsome after his bath and showing off his breed 'creds'. ;)
Willhead-548x627.jpg
Willhead-548x627.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 20217 times

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 am

I finally found time to ride Panache after almost a month off (only because I was too busy with hay & work). He was foot perfect, and amazingly easy to sit once he was warmed up. I put him through a bit of everything, but kept it light & short sessions between walk breaks. I was very pleased with him after all the reactivity earlier in the spring. He even tolerated "his" mare with her foal showing up in the neighboring pasture and didn't lose focus all that much.

Meanwhile, my lovely Third Level dressage boy, Jet, is having some cross-training this month ... carriage driving! I decided to take him to the same trainer who worked with Finn (4 yr old Hano/Shire) for just one month of a refresher. Some of you may recall that I used to drive Jet as a team with my full Percheron, Dante, but was forced to stop about 6 years ago when the draft wagon literally fell apart. That's why I sent him for a refresher ... it's been awhile. He's already doing road work in the training cart, and will very soon be moving up to the carriage. He'll look SO dapper pulling my new marathon carriage!

Here he is earlier today trit-trotting down the road:
2018Jul09 JetHarness1.jpg
2018Jul09 JetHarness1.jpg (187.89 KiB) Viewed 20200 times

And, yesterday we went up to see Finn who has now been at the under-saddle trainer for a week. It's been so hot here that the trainer (rightfully) went very slowly with him because even a bit of work was getting all the horses sweated right up. Nevertheless, he's been on his back every day just doing light work with whoa & go at the walk, and steering. Finn has shown a bit of tension, but overall is progressing well. Here he is after his walk work, learning to stand quietly which he's excelling at.
2018Jul08 BrianPickenUStraining1crop.jpg
2018Jul08 BrianPickenUStraining1crop.jpg (151.21 KiB) Viewed 20200 times

(Don't mind his overly long feet, which I'm embarrassed to show here. The farrier who was supposed to trim him last week ended up popping a couple of discs in his back, poor guy, so Finn had to wait. He'll be trimmed and balanced tomorrow by another farrier.)

I don't think I'll be showing this summer despite my plans earlier this year. Perhaps late August or September/October with Jet. Panache is for sale and has a prospective buyer coming to see him this Friday. After my ride yesterday, I love him more but I have to be realistic with Finn coming along. Pan was always meant to be my project and I need to downsize to give myself time to ride Jet & Finn (and, in 3-4 years, young Eowyn!). If this sale works out - and we all know it may not! - the prospective buyer is a good egg and would give him a super home and would keep improving him & moving him up the levels, which I'd love for him.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 am

FB_IMG_1530701356773.jpg
FB_IMG_1530701356773.jpg (76.39 KiB) Viewed 20190 times

I do have a bit of heat rash on my seat and under my boobage. It was probably not that hot in the shade of the indoor. They said it was only going to be high eighties.

I was depressed after riding today. Kimba and I had a difficult time with left lead canter after our good progress last week. Maybe she needs a relaxed few rides to rest building muscles
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:00 am

Ugh, Chisamba.

And yes, we have to learn not to get greedy with our successes. I am guilty of that, too.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:05 am

StraightForward wrote:I did get yesterday's test back - 38.696% and no, that is not an eventing score. :lol: Judge's comments: "Tactful rider making intelligent choices due to tension and resistance in horse today to avoid huge arguments and possible danger. However, unable to perform test"

Bloody well done for keeping going with it the next day. Sounds like it was very challenging!!

500 bales of hay! And I hate moving 30 :lol: Hay around here is scarce due to poor rainfall since last year and very expensive. If it's ever cheaper again I'm going to stockpile it.

Chisamba, I guess it's good that you've got an explanation for Deneb's behaviour? But yes, now what to do with her.

Nice pics DJR!

Mountaineer, don't blame you for bailing. I don't do heat very well either.
Chisamba, just converted that to Celcius and yep that is HOT!

Cb06 - very handsome and nice stables too.
Last edited by Flight on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 am

Jet looks fab!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:41 am

The thing that irritates me today about the heat was that the weather guys kept reporting it as MUCH cooler. I am good in the heat si I kept thinking they couldn't be right. Finally I put my thermometer out. I then made adjustments for the poor horses. I have a non sweater in the barn so an alcohol spritz and in front of the fan for her.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:40 am

Well, I was going to bow out of this set of goal's threads but hey. I have maybe 2-3 rides before my surgery and if the one today was any indication...boy am I going to miss riding. My goal...get my decrepit body to where I can really work on my fitness. I am NOT ready for a rocking chair yet.

Still doing primarily walk work. My back will only take very short spurts of trot. Today was very warm...July in southern Idaho...no getting around it.
I took her over to the track. Since most of my work is walk...the track provides actually the best footing on the place plus a lot more distractions and challenges for poor Ms. Arena Flower. It makes for a more interesting ride :lol: . Today's challenge...the owner's dog getting his water exercise and jumping in the canal that is about 20 yards from the track then popping back up on the bank. She handled that very well. Last time, someone was picking up hay in the hay shed right next to the tack and would pop a bale off the top of the stack which would land with a huge thud just as she was on that side of the track. I think I would have been a bit more tactful in my timing if someone was riding on the track but I guess some people don't give it a thought :roll: . She handled that well too. We got a little scoot but that was all and I certainly can't blame her.

Today she was really on the aids. Listening to what I wanted but not taking over. Her mind can go into overdrive so easily then she just throws things out as fast as she can or decides that she knows what I want. I worked some shoulder in and what was so nice was that I could tangibly float the inside rein and nothing changed. That is a big one for her, especially to the right as she normally will not take a solid connection with the right rein, preferring to lean on the left. I did get a new bridle that she seems to be fairly comfortable in. She has really redundant cheek tissue and a normal cavesson pushes that flab right into her teeth. For a couple years now, I have been riding her without any cavesson as I see no point in have a cavesson flapping around if it can't be tightened appropriately. I recently got a killer deal on a PS of Sweden Nirak bridle (thanks, Straightforward ;) ) and it is a more balanced and more adjustable version of a Micklem. At any rate, she seems to tolerate it better and seems more centered in the contact. We also worked rein back and they were dead straight and very cadenced. I was able to easily get exactly the number of steps I wanted. Our short little trot sets were quite lively and forward but the downwards were nice and balanced. Of course, right now, it doesn't take much to excite me :lol: . The driveway back to the barn has a slight slope where you go up and over a bridge. We did rein back sets up the slope which were also very prompt and straight. Up the slope is a challenge for her wimpy stifles and usually she goes off to the right as that is her weaker hind. Not today.

Everyone stay safe and stay cool if that is possible. I am NOT a summer person. I figure my surgery gives me an out. I should be able to get back on by late September or October...much better weather.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:48 am

Chisamba wrote:The thing that irritates me today about the heat was that the weather guys kept reporting it as MUCH cooler. I am good in the heat si I kept thinking they couldn't be right. Finally I put my thermometer out. I then made adjustments for the poor horses. I have a non sweater in the barn so an alcohol spritz and in front of the fan for her.
Chisamba, can that thermometer be right? I am not that far from you, and it was only 85F at the highest yesterday. I don't think there has ever been a number that high in NJ.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:44 pm

I am continuing to work on me. I am still getting sore after my rides, so that is a clue that I am making changes in my position! Emi is very forward and easy when I get it right and use that lighter seat with more active upper calf.

I am also working diligently on improving my hands. JJ gave me the guidance to imagine that I am landing a "fluttery wild bird" on a stick aka landing a fluttery mare on the bit. Somehow this image really works for me and our connection consistency is improving. This image helps me more than thinking "hold my hands still and together," probably because it keeps me breathing and more aware of the movement dynamics at play.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Today's ride was a mixed bag. Overall, great w-t-c work — really reaching into the bit and forward, my downward transition aids were on point, and my timing on transitioning up was good for the most part.

Then Maia had a complete meltdown, tantrum when I brought her back to the trot after picking up the wrong canter lead, third time in a row. It was kind of epic — she slammed on the brakes and reared, I kicked her forward into bucking and bunny hops :lol: None of it was very serious (and I shut her down within seconds), but she REALLY wanted her opinion known! Weird horse. :roll:

But we finished with nice canters both directions, then a walk down the gravel road in both directions from the barn.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Mc its accurate, but the direct sun with no breeze and a tin roof also has a oven like effect. It was sixty something last night and ninety today.

Once again I realized kimba leans on my hands with difficult canter work. This resulted in loss of rhythm in half pass. I did tons of transitions today got her lighter in the bridle, and she did her half pass and counter canter better.

If she wants to lean down I needto ride her more uphill, if she wants to be up and hollow, she needs to be longer, lower but stay light.
We will see what the clinician
Says. It's only a couple of weeks. Eeek

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm

chisamba it is mid 90's here with humidity (air that you can wear). Ick ick.

Interesting ride today with Rip, from the get go with the in hand work he was unfocused and a bit of a twit (wanting to eat the reins) but I got on after some light lateral work and not fun. Challenging me in the contact and not wanting to play nice. So lateral work it was! Love the spurs, when he wants to push against that left leg that left spur says no and he softens up nicely. Took a bit of lateral work at the walk and some at the trot and then also some halt RB stuff and he started getting with the program better and was doing some sitting trot. Still a bit distracted but not spooking at anything. Was riding out in the field was hoping it was going to be a light ride (yeah not so much) and was trotting on the long side going left when we went splat. Not real sure what happened but Rip was on his knees scrambling I rolled left and forward and we both went what?! He was up but did not leave, I was getting up checking him out, pulled his right splint boot somehow and nicked his RF. Neither of us none the worse for wear though I am a touch bit twingy mid back from the jarring. Not sure if he grab his bell boot and stumbled or the splint boot was falling down and he stepped on that, something caught him up somehow. Got back on and he was fine, finished up with a bit more trot work and called it a day. Decided canter could wait!

This is the field I had been riding him in, needs mowing again but we were in some of the shorter grass when it happened. Will see what he says tomorrow though may be arena day until I can get DH to bush hog that field again.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I am also working diligently on improving my hands. JJ gave me the guidance to imagine that I am landing a "fluttery wild bird" on a stick aka landing a fluttery mare on the bit. Somehow this image really works for me and our connection consistency is improving. This image helps me more than thinking "hold my hands still and together," probably because it keeps me breathing and more aware of the movement dynamics at play.

With as many wet saddle blankets as you have, I am thinking that your hands are probably just the tell or the symptom. If true, fixing your hands won't help. Fix whatever is screwing up your hands.

When my horse was breaking down I started dropping my left hand unconsciously to keep the straightness. The hand was the symptom of the breakdown. Even after he was fixed I kept dropping my left hand for a long time. VERY VERY VERY bad.

My hands go whereever in unconscious response to my horse's straightness. My fists touch when he is straight. To arrive at that point I had to force myself to only fix most issues with seat and leg and not hand. Hand is mostly needed only for flexion at the poll and containing the shoulder. So you can check to see if you have correct flexion. Also, I think your hands would come home to stay if you rode around in SF because there is nothing to fix and your horse just expects to go around in SF after a while.

Try to adjust the weight between seat, thigh and legs to see if there is a combination that your horse likes. Too much thigh and it will be acculment and the horse will not be forward. I learned this while battling a herniated disc and finally stepped off for 3 months to let it heal. My horse will stay forward if I just remove all the blocks. Also horses like when you don't grip anywhere and stay on with balance alone. It feels like you are sitting on a cloud and is a little precarious. You have to trust there will be no unplanned excursions which form your posts I am guessing is hard to rule out with Emi.

Just throwing stuff out there but when I hear of a person who has ridden for years having hand issues I have trouble believing you actually have hands issues. :-)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 pm

I did more CC today. It was as good as last August before he started limping although I am not doing as much as then. I had to keep looking down to check we were actually CCing going right because it was so balanced and smooth. Going left was less good but presentable. I think it was the opposite on Sunday. Whatev. This is going to be the key to the rest of the rehab.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:29 am

Tsavo, thanks for your comments. I will absorb and think about it. It is true that I have a fluttery horse, so fixing forward/straightness always helps my hands. But I think I can help her from the other side, too.

Just a photo to assure that I am not overly taxing my dear mare (enjoying her evening after a 90 F workout):

Emi in July.JPG
Emi in July.JPG (131.19 KiB) Viewed 20062 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:59 am

Piedmontfields, she looks pretty content there and that is a lovely paddock.

Was it Tsavo who mentioned the canter-trot-canter trans in SF? I couldn't find the comment again, but I thought I'd give it a go with my big horse who I've had a bit of a struggle with to keep straight. Thought I'd video it to show my efforts now (with a hope at the end of the 2 months we will be much smoother!)

https://youtu.be/_4ikgPFFxZY

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 am

PF what a lovely photo! She's so pretty. Mares are nice. I want a mare. That's my vortex. :-)

Flight that was actually very good compared to the first attempts by that fourth level pair. I searched for the video but couldn't find it. I have posted it in the past on other fora but I just can't find it now.

I guess I just found the video shocking because I would have bet a lot of money a fourth level pair could nail that in one. But when I rode it I realized the degree of difficulty with keeping the hinds on the line in the SF transitions. I do think the exercise is easier if you ride in SF all the time and that's what I had in my mind when it was blown seeing his struggle. Maybe they should put this in fourth level tests. LOL

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Flight wrote:Piedmontfields, she looks pretty content there and that is a lovely paddock.

Was it Tsavo who mentioned the canter-trot-canter trans in SF? I couldn't find the comment again, but I thought I'd give it a go with my big horse who I've had a bit of a struggle with to keep straight. Thought I'd video it to show my efforts now (with a hope at the end of the 2 months we will be much smoother!)

https://youtu.be/_4ikgPFFxZY

AH, yes, that is a hard movement. I also do it all the time in Tot/halt/trot, or walk/trot/walk. My pretzyl horse wants to always flip the flexion and body pattern to what he feels like- this is a very good detective exercize. Feeling what body parts moves when is very telling.

i'm not sure why, or why not, but it wasn't until my current trainer that we did transitions in SI. It's just not something a lot of people use--not sure why that is? maybe I was just living under a rock?

Riot is doing great after a mixed two weeks prior. I can hardly ride outside though for the bugs :(

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Flight, I wonder if the exercise should be started on side line with wall for support then move to CL. To help steady the horse in the transitions. Yes it was tsavo that wrote about this exercise. I've done it on the circle with a horse that needed engagement in the canter, SI trot to canter. I've also done transitions within the lateral work though not something I do a ton of (probably need to!) in general, mostly T, W T transitions.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Flight wrote: Was it Tsavo who mentioned the canter-trot-canter trans in SF? I couldn't find the comment again, but I thought I'd give it a go with my big horse who I've had a bit of a struggle with to keep straight. Thought I'd video it to show my efforts now (with a hope at the end of the 2 months we will be much smoother!)

Thanks for sharing this! Glad Norsey is back in work. I've usually done this exercise on a circle, but your video shows me the benefits of doing it down lines.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:25 pm

khall wrote:Flight, I wonder if the exercise should be started on side line with wall for support then move to CL. To help steady the horse in the transitions. Yes it was tsavo that wrote about this exercise. I've done it on the circle with a horse that needed engagement in the canter, SI trot to canter. I've also done transitions within the lateral work though not something I do a ton of (probably need to!) in general, mostly T, W T transitions.

Yes I ended up doing it on the wall to help out later on, but I wanted to aim it at the camera so I could see clearly what was going on. I do the on the circle too, but I don't think I could actually feel that twitch in with his quarters he was doing until I was on the straight line. It also made me conscious of keeping my inside leg on to maintain the SF, and being careful not to press too much with my outside leg for that canter trans.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:28 am

If we made a list of really helpful exercises, the C-T-C in SF on the centerline would be on my list.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:24 am

I worked on T-W-T in SF tonight, very useful.

I'm only riding Panache these days (while Jet is getting a driving refresher). I'm really enjoying him again. Why is it that "for sale" horses feel so good that one rethinks selling them ... just before a prospective buyer is due to come and try said horse??!! Ugh!!

Meanwhile, my daughter just re-started riding this week and is doing very well. She stopped about 3 months ago or so after breaking her wrist, then didn't jump back to it. I didn't push her ... it has to be something she wants. She is now right back at it and loving it. Yay!

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 am

Tsavo that is a good idea! New thread? Helpful exercises and what they do for the horse.

Ugh it is hot! 95 in the shade today. I did get two worked though. After my accident with Rip the other day I wanted to watch him go so put him on the lunge line today to see if I could see anything. I was very happy with what I saw! He is looking much better in the trot with better uphill engagement and some actual medium trot! I knew I had been feeling it but I was not sure what it looked like. He is tough to judge with it, yet what I saw today was him coming out of his shoulder much better and over striding by at least a hoof if not almost 2 (so not huge but still definite medium), good thrust from behind and just in general a better trot collected and medium. His canter has been there, trot has been lacking. That lower neck conformation impacts him more in the trot than in the canter. So YAY! I saw absolutely no issues WTC period. So more than likely what happened was that his splint boot had dropped down (they are old) in the deeper grass and he stepped on it causing the tumble. So need new splint boots.

Lunged my filly today as well, a bit of woo wee but then she settled and went nicely WTC. No bareback pad or flopping feed sacks just a light work out. Get her going again and then also want to put the reins onto the caveson and really start some in hand work. Trying to decide about whether or not to send her off. I may, but when it cools off some.

Unfortunately found out today the cowboy is now full with training horses and cannot take Gaila for 60 days or so. He said nothing about this when I last contacted him about sending her up there when I got back from vacation. I know it has been a roller coaster with her through no ones fault (heavy rains when he could not ride, her abscesses) sigh. Now I have to see if I can find someone else or I will have to wait. I can go ahead and do some work with her here but really want more done than I am comfortable with. Dang.

Stay cool all! I'm melting here (gives me a headache too)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Really good progress and there are some gorgeous horses in this group! Chisamba, I'm glad you have an answer. I understand from talking with you how severe her reactions are, I'd be hard pressed to send her for treatment given that.

DJR, isn't that just the way of it!? lol. Good luck with the sale, it sounds like it will help relieve some of the burden.

Flight, that was great to watch! It's a great diagnostic tool - I try to pull things onto quarterline often to check things and am always surprised at the ping pong match I end up having.

Piedmont, keep it up. I, for one, feel like time spend on one's position is never wasted. I agree that hands tend to be a symptom of something else, but not always. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it.

Anyone I missed, I'm reading all the posts, just hard to scroll back through and address everyone!

I'm in an uncharacteristic slump. Work, my shoulder injury and some personal stuff (an offer that I don't want to refuse, but I think I have to) made me miss a week. I could have finagled a way to get to the barn, but I just didn't want to. Which is very unusual for me, and makes my mindset worse as I start to beat myself up. I'm definitely going tonight, no matter what, and will keep things easy and light since he's had the week to dork around in the field.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Well in typical horse/life fashion now that we've moved to my coach's barn there's something not quite right with the lovely miss Pal. No obvious lameness but she's having the "stepped in a hole" sort of stifle slip. Vets out tomorrow for teeth, so maybe will be back quickly for a lameness eval, maybe if vet is in agreement I'll have chiro/body work or something, and saddle fitter out as well. Feet are a overdue due to the barn move and farrier scheduling so maybe that's part of it but in any case I'm preparing myself by saying farewell to all my money now :lol: Sooo, goals are gonna have to wait.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Tsavo wrote:If we made a list of really helpful exercises, the C-T-C in SF on the centerline would be on my list.

I have mentioned a enough times to be boring, that after reading De La Gueiriniere i realized that the SF or SI should be the beginning and end of everything. struggling with a transition, do it in SF, struggling with a lengthening, start in SI through the corner, straight and forward on the diagonal, finish in SI the other way. canter transitions hollowing, ride SF, most transitions are improved in SF or SI within or between gaits. fortinately I do not consider riding SI or SF challenging to the soundness of the horse

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:30 pm

I guess this is some sort of progress (hah). So, I spoke to my local vet re new/old farrier's suggested shoeing change for injured leg and getting second opinion on treatment. She was okay with the shoeing change, but got her back up NOT about getting a second opinion, but about the fact that the farrier had directly tried to refer me to someone without involving her. Then she got negative re the vet he mentioned. I had had several people recommend one of the vets at UC Davis, so I said, okay, how about Dr. __________. She was fine with that. *whew* Didn't want unnecessary difficulties in relationship with her. So. I call Davis and am told he's on vacation until August. After two years, three weeks isn't going to be a problem, so I say let's schedule something in August. Oh, says operator, he's not taking any new clients. Uh....this is a TEACHING hospital, what the....? But Dr. K________ can see you. Back to my vet, okay with Dr. K__? Yes. Call back, get a different operator, just for the heck of it, ask for appointment with original vet suggested. Are you in our records? Yes, but not with this horse. The last time I took a horse there was in 1979!! But, guess what, still in their records. Okay - you can see the doctor on August 8. Guess the person I got the first time was in a bad mood. So, we're just continuing with our walk/walk/walk daily with 800 feet of trot every other day until then. I'm not expecting a miracle cure, but I've been stuck in a holding pattern for so long, and vet still hasn't actually said "This is as good as it's going to get,"* so for the time being, we'll keep on keepin' on.

*If that happens, I see only three alternatives (1) be satisfied with a walk-only horse for the rest of what is likely to be a very long life for him (Arab/Appy only 14) (too bad they don't have para-horse dressage competitions - 1st level test 1 at the walk only); (2) ask breeder if she will take him for pasture boarding (at a much lower rate than I pay here in the Bay Area) a four+ hour drive away; or (3) turn him out where I retired my last horse, a 90 min drive away. With alternative (2), I MIGHT be able to afford another horse, but it's questionable. Alternative three means giving up riding. While the boarding at the boarding/retirement place is quite reasonable, it's still too much for me to also maintain a horse close to home.
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Tsavo wrote:If we made a list of really helpful exercises, the C-T-C in SF on the centerline would be on my list.

I have mentioned a enough times to be boring, that after reading De La Gueiriniere i realized that the SF or SI should be the beginning and end of everything. struggling with a transition, do it in SF, struggling with a lengthening, start in SI through the corner, straight and forward on the diagonal, finish in SI the other way. canter transitions hollowing, ride SF, most transitions are improved in SF or SI within or between gaits. fortinately I do not consider riding SI or SF challenging to the soundness of the horse

Completely agree with this. If a person is riding around all the time in SF, the centerline exercise is made much easier to begin with. I would bet $100 the guy in the clinic did not ride around in SF and that explained some of his struggle.

SF/SI done correctly requires the horse to be in one piece so to speak so everything afterward has got to be easier. I think that is what dlG means

A horse can't invert if they are bent in SF/SI.

The first medims I rode were from riding SI out of a corner.

I had an instructor who required me to be in at least SF at all times. If I wasn't, we worked on getting SF before doing anything else. I have learned the benefit of that and carried it through to my riding over the years even when working with people who did not emphasize it.

SF = straight.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am

My new old guy, Titanium, is convinced left lead in canter is a strange new invention. He has explained to me several times that he has ridden for years and never needed it. He thinks I am an exceptionally stupid human and he is reaching the end of his patience with my persistence.

Kimba otoh has realized that balance first and not leaning on the rein has some benefits for her and lots of reward.

This is why riding is never boring and always a learning experience. No riding Thursday, so lots of grooming, and a bit of massage, and some bonding which is also a joy.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:27 pm

At the very least I *think* SF when I'm riding, although I'd never try to ride SI all the time, and if for some reason (a horse with more potential to stay sound maybe?) I did want to ride SI more I'd change direction/bend often.

Return to “Dressage Training”