For inspiration or discussion: Video

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

For inspiration or discussion: Video

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:57 am

This is a nice video compilation from Jeremy Steinberg of work with his 6 yr old mare. I think it gives a good sense of how he works a horse in a session. It is helpful to watch the warm-up vs. the work segments. Since this is public from his page, I feel free to share this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZL5tx ... e=youtu.be

musical comedy

Re: For inspiration or discussion: Video

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:35 am

StraightForward put that video up in the SVD thread. ***** (5 stars).
I'm an advocate of round and deep, so of course I'm going to love the warmup.
Good to see this horse is back in action. This was the one that Abby was helping with.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am

Omg its poll isn't the highest point and its behind the vertical Call the animal cruelly agents.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:10 am

One of the reasons I like to longe is different horses with different conformation and habits have different ways of moving well.

I have standardbred × in my barn, its very easy for them to pace. I find it important for them to work deeper to keep them from throwing in pace strides especially in transitions.

My new horse is clearly disconnected through the base of the neck when ridden poll high. He too, whether it be his riding history or confirmation, is more one piece if he is slightly rounded and lower.

I think it's almost unethical or cruel to expect every horse to always be poll high and out.

Jmho

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:13 am

I'm sorry, I totally missed that SF already posted this! Chisamba, I know you are joking. I like the variety of positions the horse in ridden in through the sessions.

This is such a lovely mare---and even more extraordinary is that JS notes that she is not especially fancy amidst today's horses. I, too, am glad she is doing well.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:28 am

piedmontfields wrote:This is such a lovely mare---and even more extraordinary is that JS notes that she is not especially fancy amidst today's horses. I, too, am glad she is doing well.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I think the mare is gorgeous and don't agree that she is less 'fancy' than today's international stars. Maybe I don't know the definition of fancy.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Yes I was being a bit sarcastic in attempt to be a bit funny. I find the very relaxed steady trot very pleasing

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:09 pm

musical comedy wrote: I think the mare is gorgeous and don't agree that she is less 'fancy' than today's international stars. Maybe I don't know the definition of fancy.

I think she is gorgeous, too! And super sweet/willing per JS. It was Jeremy who described her that way, compared to the "uber-movers".

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:49 pm

I love that Jeremy posts regular videos of his work with this mare. He's been doing it since she was 3 and I've been following. Here she is as a 3 year old:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LtxXe2tMAB0

I love watching these videos because they give a very good indication of how he works and if you watch closely they're very educational.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 am

I agree, Rosie. It is very cool to watch a talented trainer develop a horse over time.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:52 am

I like Jeremy's riding and training very much. I'm not a total Luddite, but I am not good at searching the internet for stuff. I had no idea that he had a youtube channel. I found it after Rosie posted the second video. I have watched a few more of his vids, but the one that Piedmont posted is just what I needed at this time. I like it becuase it's out of the dressage arena, and I can see him using his body to talk to the horse. I watched it last night and then again this morning before I rode.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:33 am

Rosie B wrote:I love that Jeremy posts regular videos of his work with this mare. He's been doing it since she was 3 and I've been following. Here she is as a 3 year old:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LtxXe2tMAB0

I love watching these videos because they give a very good indication of how he works and if you watch closely they're very educational.

Thanks, that actually contributes to the posting thread, as you can see a difference in his posting when she is very newly under saddle vs. now.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:17 am

I’ve been watching JS’s vids of Augie. I started with the first one and have watched through the 8th one, some of them several times each. I am just fascinated that he rides her mostly in the big jumping arena. I’ve started adding a couple days a week of doing my “dressage” work in a 2 acre pasture because of watching him. Working out of the ring can be a lot of different things, obviously, but a big defined work area is a special case. Not the same as doing dressage on the trail. I may start a thread on that subject...I know several riders on this board ride out of the ring regularly and they may have some good insight to share :).

Piedmont already mentioned how the vid she posted gives a good sense of how JS works a horse in a session and I agree. What especially strikes me, is how he flows so smoothly from the beginning to the end. The horse is focused the whole time. The “warm-up” doesn’t appear to be a separate segment of the ride. It isn’t like “NOW we are working and NOW we are resting”, instead, he just seamlessly goes into the “working” part of the ride. And he goes in and out of more strenuous/less strenuous work without ever letting go of the mental connection he has with her. Even when he reaches to pet her, which he does often, it is still like part of the dance.

I like how he frequently rides one handed. And this too, he does without losing the rhythm or connection. I hardly even notice when he switches from one hand back to two hands. I have to look closely for it.

Same thing when going from down and round to up and open. I mean, of course, it’s obvious that he’s changed her position, but he does it so fluidly. One time I had to rewind because I thought he went from down and round to up and open with one hand!

And the posting varies. He goes from clearly posting to barely visible posting to sitting. Very interesting to watch.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:35 am

I just went back and re-read Piedmont's notes from the April 2018 clinic. There is such good stuff in those notes. It should be a sticky.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:34 pm

I agree, Demi, with how smooth the flow is for JS between warm-up and work, and little breaks throughout. It's a great model for sure, even as he really does work his horses (of course he also gives them walk breaks, but that is usually trimmed out of the videos).

MC, thanks for the reminder to look at those notes again! Lots of good stuff. I have been really focused on riding the balance instead of riding the feeling and it has been very helpful (probably the best comment I got at a later clinic this year was "your horse is consistently in a good balance.").

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:32 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I agree, Demi, with how smooth the flow is for JS between warm-up and work, and little breaks throughout. It's a great model for sure, even as he really does work his horses (of course he also gives them walk breaks, but that is usually trimmed out of the videos).

What a shame for the horses that he doesn't put a little note in the video every time he gives the horse a break (something along the lines of "2 minute walk break here"), just so those who have no common sense don't think that continuous trot and canter is part of what they need to do, too. I think sometimes those who have been involved with horses for a long time forget that there are impressionable newbies watching their videos, too. :(

Return to “Dressage Training”