Learning from dissection

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: Learning from dissection

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Are equine dissections becoming "a thing" in dressage?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:13 pm

A very simple example. Muscles only contract so muscles work in pairs. This is a great finding from anatomy. But, it takes more muscle to lift, because gravity will do the work of a muscle. That is the sphere of biomechanics and is supposed or deducted from anatomy and watching the live animal.

Anatomy only becomes biomechanics when applied to the living animal.

Regarding anatomical discussions of Rollkur, it is only scientifically significant if say a hundred horses of the same age and breed were dissected. 33 could never have been ridden, that would be the control. 33 ridden with rollkur fir the same amount of time, and 33 ridden but no rollkur. Then findings of anatomical neck structure would be unbiased and significant. Otherwise there is bias.

For example the recommended "carrot stretches" supposedly healing, put the horse in a similar position to rollkur, supposedly damaging.

Unless you do a year of carrot stretches on horses, then kill and dissect them, you cannot actually know they are helping. If course MRI would be a better option

But we are talking about dissection.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:52 pm

A very simple example. Muscles only contract so muscles work in pairs. This is a great finding from anatomy. But, it takes more muscle to lift, because gravity will do the work of a muscle. That is the sphere of biomechanics and is supposed or deducted from anatomy and watching the live animal.

Anatomy only becomes biomechanics when applied to the living animal.

Regarding anatomical discussions of Rollkur, it is only scientifically significant if say a hundred horses of the same age and breed were dissected. 33 could never have been ridden, that would be the control. 33 ridden with rollkur fir the same amount of time, and 33 ridden but no rollkur. Then findings of anatomical neck structure would be unbiased and significant. Otherwise there is bias.

For example the recommended "carrot stretches" supposedly healing, put the horse in a similar position to rollkur, supposedly damaging.

Unless you do a year of carrot stretches on horses, then kill and dissect them, you cannot actually know they are helping. If course MRI would be a better option

But we are talking about dissection.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Khall, you are arguing points I have not made and ignoring points I have made. There is no communication.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Tsavo wrote:
Really? If someone with extensive anatomical knowledge isn't the best rider in the world then anatomical knowledge couldn't possibly be helpful? :-)

Correct.[/quote]

So it wouldn't matter if she didn't have the time to ride, because if anatomical knowledge was a factor she should still be the best rider in the world? :-)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:13 pm

kande50 wrote:
Tsavo wrote:
kande50 wrote:
Really? If someone with extensive anatomical knowledge isn't the best rider in the world then anatomical knowledge couldn't possibly be helpful? :-)

Correct.

So it wouldn't matter if she didn't have the time to ride, because if anatomical knowledge was a factor she should still be the best rider in the world? :-)

Correct.
Last edited by Tsavo on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Tsavo I am just ignoring your questions, I have tried to answer them and you do not want to accept the answer I give and to be honest I am tired of beating a dead horse (get it:). You and chisamba do not see any value in dissection or anatomy, that is fine, no skin off my nose. I do see value in learning and understanding anatomy (listening to biomechanics lecture based on anatomy of the horse I have had many ah ha moments, yes some of it was neurological in basis chisamba) and would love to attend an equine dissection to further that curiosity and learning geek that I am. I don't really care if you agree with me or not. So there ya go.

Bad day, fighting with rescue over my foster dog who needed to be seen by vet today. Possibly diagnosed with tick borne disease, he is not feeling well and is neurologic, will know for certain Friday. So I have little patience for this tonight.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:37 pm

This thread reminds me of kasette's thread on immaculate canter departs. :shock:

Return to “Dressage Training”