Thoughts on the foundational vs the ideal

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Thoughts on the foundational vs the ideal

Postby khall » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:45 am

I think we all do ride our horses, I know I do. Thought this was a discussion board, discussing dressage training. My bad if it is not. Again snark, snide comments what is the point. If you don't want to discuss then don't, go ride your own horse.

I had time today because I had people working on the farm, with weed eaters, blowers, trimmers etc etc. Not safe to pull out and ride today, plus we had a storm to blow through in the afternoon. So I had time to discuss training, was also watching the Kavannaugh hearing and the Woodward book "breaking news". I also watched some Karen R videos and worked on some dinner. Criminy you guys need to go have a glass of wine or stiff drink or something. Don't read the thread if it bothers you that much, put us or me on block or foe or whatever.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:48 am

Riding to an FEI level is a very limited measure of success. There are trainers in FEI who bought upper level horses to qualify as judges and ride like puppets. There are riders who use rollkur, and riders who use crank and spank, and riders who use pliers to tighten nose bands , all filling the rank of FEI.

There are also fabulous trainers who do not show much.

So if quoting someone it's useful to actually give a source so the reader can evaluate.

In my opinion everyone who contributes on ddbb us working on themself and their riding. After a while I know whose contribution I find enlightening and who we brush off.

Mountaineer, I often read and cogitate in quiet times on my overnight shift. I would rather be riding or sleeping.

Khall, i agree, learning about POV that one will likely never use can still have value.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:21 am

Let's stay positive, there is good value here.
Last edited by Ryeissa on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:40 am

TOTALLY off topic, but to anyone who gets their panties in a twist over anything posted in a forum, anywhere, on any topic, I would humbly suggest giving this a read:

https://www.amazon.ca/Subtle-Art-Not-Gi ... 0062457713

Mountaineer - I remember you expressing that sentiment before... and as before it made me chuckle. :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Personally I took her comment more to mean that everyone should lighten up and just go ride. Nothing wrong with discussion or agreeing to disagree. Food for thought is just that and perhaps reading a thread and then going out and ride while considering the comments just read is a better way to weigh in on new ideas? BTW khall I too only had time to post because I was at home waiting to go to a lesson and then waiting for my mother's doctor's appointment. Not too common that I can get on here. Today I have the graveyard shift at work so here I am; but, not for much longer. Going to head out to ride, go take care of my mom and then head to work for 12 hours of emergency fun. There are definitely more pressing things in life than who is the best 'rider' regardless of who or what they ride ;)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Rosie B wrote:TOTALLY off topic, but to anyone who gets their panties in a twist over anything posted in a forum, anywhere, on any topic, I would humbly suggest giving this a read:
https://www.amazon.ca/Subtle-Art-Not-Gi ... 0062457713
Mountaineer - I remember you expressing that sentiment before... and as before it made me chuckle. :)

In both cases, excellent advice. Gentle readers, as with all expression you are free to embrace or reject it as you will.

Return to “Dressage Training”