Don't call it fall: September/October Autumn Goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Don't call it fall: September/October Autumn Goals

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

That is so cool that you got to watch CD teach DJR! I really like her communication style.

Well done *all* with the good rides and show experience! I have to confess that Kimba and Ding are among my favorite horses on the board, as I often think that they are ones I would like to ride myself! (nice size, nice training, nice overall attitude).

My biggest breakthrough of late: Switching to an eggbutt version of the novocontact bit I use has made Emi very steady and quiet in the contact (I had been using a loose ring).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:46 pm

I was silly happy to get this email
Attachments
Screenshot_20181022-094058_Yahoo Mail.jpg
Screenshot_20181022-094058_Yahoo Mail.jpg (207.88 KiB) Viewed 18503 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Congratulations Chisamba! That is the way to debut at 2nd!

Those Novocontact bits are really goood, Piedmont. I used one on Annnabelle for awhile and it really helped her understand contact. After a while it was too much though, and now we've settled on a plain eggbutt. I don't mind that she has cheap taste in bits!

We are temporarily grounded. Thursday night I went out to ride and Annabelle's left hind fetlock was all swollen up. It came down with cold hosing and bandaging, and she's not lame on it. However, it's right where a DDFT injury would swell, so I'm being extra careful. Will probably call the vet if it's not very close to normal tonight.

Baby is just busy being a goofy giraffe. I lunge her for about 5 minutes 2x a week, and she has picked it up really well and is learning voice commands. Yesterday I put the surcingle on her and started flopping the lunge line over, under, between her legs, and dragging behind on both sides in preparation for some ground driving. She didn't care too much.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm

awesome chisamba!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:57 pm

You must be over the moon, Chisamba. Now we'll expect you to show next year! :lol:

Great job with Ding, Flight. I once had a canopy follow Scotty and I down the center line at a show. He just made a slight bobble and went on; I had no idea what happened until the judge blew the whistle so they could retrieve the canopy. Scotty had been a severely abused horse, who in the past had tried to kill me more than once with his melt downs. I knew then, that all that work payed off and that Scotty was mine heart and soul forever. I still miss him.

So sorry about Annabelle, SF. Jingles she recovers quickly.

I sat on Rudy this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! It was wickedly painful the first day, and I had ds walk beside me in case I needed help bailing off. Rudy was afraid to even walk because I was acting so strangely. Sunday, otoh, was wonderful. I could freely swing with his walk, use my legs and everything. I even managed a few short rising trots! Now it'll probably start raining and snowing. :lol:

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Had a very odd weekend. Rode Mark early on Saturday and he was laid back and we walked around the (small) property for 45 mins. Then off to the jumping lesson. Again, a course of x-es, different instructor, but it is sort of gratifying that despite the fact that the fences are tiny, I seem to be getting my eye back and was able to jump all of them out of hand without having to grab mane.

So Sunday, I go out to do our walkies, and he seems fine. I've been quite happy that he's been pretty cool with all the deer that wander through the property. HOWEVER - apparently that calmness only applies to deer standing/walking/lying down. If they start to trot/bound, all bets are OFF!!! He had a meltdown. Mr. Walk Only started piaffeing/passaging on the driveway when four (FOUR!!) deer starting trotting down the driveway, then the smallest bounded toward him. He then spun, then back to piaffe/passage. I tried to keep him moving forward back to "safety" (the covered arena), but he spun around and slow-bolted toward the nearby lower shed row and tried to go UNDER the low roof of the grooming area! With one hand on the reins, I put my hand on the roof and kicked my feet out of the stirrups, prepared to hang from it and let him go if I had to. Fortunately, my firm whoa and yank backwards made him back out before he got much more than his head/half of his neck under. Deer were out of sight by then, so he passaged up the driveway and finally did a very prancing walk. I had to get off in the arena and walk him for about 5-10 minutes before he would completely settle down (including a couple of rears.) I was finally able to get back on and complete our walk routine in the arena. When I caught MY breath and relaxed, I realized that my watch had gone off. Sure enough, went down to the lower shedrow after I put him up and found it lying in the dirt by the roofed grooming area, strap broken (but fixable). More excitement than I need! I sure hope I'm not going to have to start tranq-ing him just to ride on the property. He's been SO good until yesterday.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Yikes! How scary

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Clinic this week. I'm nervous. I think I'm set up to be successful. Im just being silly.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Yikes! How scary

It was! It happened so fast, I can't believe I escaped unscathed. Well, at least I kinow "whoa!" sorta works. :roll:

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 am

Hot4Spots wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:Yikes! How scary

It was! It happened so fast, I can't believe I escaped unscathed. Well, at least I kinow "whoa!" sorta works. :roll:

I'm so glad you are ok

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 am

Congratulations Chisamba! We've managed most of our goals for this go round. We rode with Heather Blitz, showed in our first [schooling] show ever and entered the recognized show that is to be held next month. Still working on improving our strength in the canter and finessing the canter departs. Junior feels the need to take this huge leap and tries to stay a bit above the bit. So much to work on but it's been fun.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:13 am

I actually rode 2 days in a row :!: .What a concept :lol: . I have a very painful foot...my damned body :P ... so I have to ride or do nothing. Like SueB, I tried a little trot and pooh, that didn't feel so good. Not really painful just very incompetent muscles that were struggling. I didn't want to stress the surgical area so will keep working on myself and hopefully by next year, I will be good to go. Kyra was very good. I have been taking her to the track and we have been doing 2 miles (5 laps on each rein). Trying to fit in as many track sessions as I can before it gets too wet.
I peppered her walking with lots of lateral work. SI-->renver, SI--HI, HP...working on bend and good reach. I also did a little rein-back-walk-RB-walk-RB-walk with 5 steps of each . She was quite responsive for that and didn't even get anxious. She has a quick mind and can think waaay ahead of me but she stuck with me.

Everyone's show results--fabulous.

Starting tomorrow I get to work 10 out of the next 11 days so I don't know how much barn time I will get in the next couple weeks. I didn't notice that little stretch on my schedule until after my vacation (1st-12th). You can see what was on my mind. I am trying to find someone to pick up a shift or two 'cause that just makes me tired thinking about it. My boss apologized. He is fairly new to the job and schedule making. He said that is what happens when a mad genius makes the schedule :lol:

Nika, Kyra is always available if (heaven forbid) Annabelle is off any amount of time.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:59 pm

I am really enjoying the show reports and pictures!! (And exvet’s vid over on the young horse forum- very exciting future with Jr!). With a good partner, showing is such a great way to enjoy our horses, and the reports on this board are proving it.

Even with Rocky being basically sidelined ATM, I am starting to think she is going to be my best showing partner. I took her to my trainers’ place on Thursday for a saddle fitting. The weather was (and has been for two months now) unusually cold, and rainy. Rocky loaded very well even though I’ve never loaded her in the rain before. She got off the trailer, composed and confident. There were several other trailers and horses, as well as the saddle fitter’s van parked inside the arena (because of the rain), and the barn aisle was crowded with extra horses and people all inside due to the rain. Oh, and the farriers was there doing a hot shoeing (inside) and Rocky has never experienced that particular sound and smell. And she was perfectly behaved!
We tried several different saddles, all placed carefully, with poking and prodding by the saddle fitter, and Rocky handled it with aplomb!! I am so proud of her! She even rode very well, even though I had to keep it at a walk.

She has a recheck for her suspensory tear on Thursday. She is feeling spunky and I’ve had to remind her quit a bit lately that she is only allowed to walk. I am hoping this means the tear is better.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Keeping fingers crossed that you (Rocky) receive good results & prognosis in Thursday. It does sound like she thinks she's all better.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 pm

ImageI went ahead and bought one of the pro photos , it would have been really pretty if the leaves were still changing. I dont know why, because i actually enjoyed the show, but my concentrating face looks like i am facing death!! so even though there were a lot where Kimba looked pretty, my mug spoiled it.

Good on Rocky being so calm in a busy environment, i hope her tear is healing well, but recommend you be very very patient with it, its the type of injury that just takes time.

Sorry to hear about Annabels swollen fetlock, good that its not overly painful, hope that means its something simple

Exvet, Jnr is looking like he is stepping into big boy mode! and I do not mean size, i mean maturity

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Beautiful, Chisamba! and I don’t see any tension in your face, just lovely concentration.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:36 pm

That is a beautiful photo 8-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:Nika, Kyra is always available if (heaven forbid) Annabelle is off any amount of time.

Susan

Thanks! I was on the fence about having a vet look at it since it's getting better, but Imade an appointment to bring her in Thursday morning and will hopefully get her cleared to go back to work. She was almost due for a dental, so we'll get that out of the way at the same time.

Sorry your foot is not cooperating, but at least Kyra is.

Jimglea for a good checkup on Rocky, Demi!
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Chsiamba- the green and white is so pretty! we don't have that nice of a view :)

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Great clinic overall though some sad news with my filly Joplin, was not able to work her and get on her again yesterday. She has done something to her rear suspensory RH. Was lame went I went to lunge her yesterday afternoon. Jingles appreciated that it is not anything too damaging and will heal. Another vet trip tomorrow.

Rip went very well, the SW has helped with the piaffe (Tsavo and Flight have video I need to upload and edit a bit and will share) Cedar said. He was much more receptive to the diagonalizing in hand. Flight Cedar said the SW should diagnolize them, which Rip was doing. She was very pleased with his effort with good reach and diagonal steps. Homework is: CSI a bit slower trot on the circle with more angle, needs to step out more with outside shoulder and outside HL. CSI and HI in the canter, very difficult for the big guy. Uphill balance even more in the canter. Changes, yikes those are not easy for him. Cedar got on him and kind of got one with front and back but it will be a long road to teach him the changes.

Rode Juliet just one day (Rip all 3) and Cedar was very happy with her progress since June. Gave me some good stuff to work on in hand and US. Juliet HAS to stay up and out (she wants to curl and get heavy) Cedar really helped me with that. When she was right she felt very good. Long road with her though. She is strong but her balance needs work at the higher gaits. Cedar felt the in hand work has done wonders and SW with helping Juliet.

Gaila, sigh. Lots of TLC in her future, feet, weight, muscling, back:(

Wonderful picture Chisamba!! and I loved exvet's video of Jr in the young horse forum.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:35 pm

khall wrote:Great clinic overall though some sad news with my filly Joplin, was not able to work her and get on her again yesterday. She has done something to her rear suspensory RH. Was lame went I went to lunge her yesterday afternoon. Jingles appreciated that it is not anything too damaging and will heal. Another vet trip tomorrow.

Jingles!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Oh gosh I hope no suspensory issue with Joplin. Jingles

khall

Postby khall » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Joplin did slightly strain the DDFT and the suspensory branch and had synovitis in the tendon sheath. Vet said it is and I meant to say hyper extension not hyper flexion injury. I'm tired. He injected the tendon sheath to calm the synovitis down and she is on stall rest for 2 weeks with equiox for a week and gastro guard. He wants to see her again in 2 weeks to determine if she will need shock wave. I guess she did it in the field overnight last Saturday I noticed some swelling in the RH on Sunday (not bad just some filling) and of course lame on Monday. So continued jingles are appreciated, I swear horses are enough to make you want to drink and drink a lot.
Last edited by khall on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm sorry Khall, jingles for a quick and uneventful recovery.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:42 pm

Jingles for Joplin! Horses can be so darn fragile.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:59 pm

Fabulous photos showing nice work in this thread. They demonstrate balance.

I hope Joplin's injury heals well and quickly. Eggs on legs.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:41 am

I'm so impressed by everyone's results and progress, and lovely pictures.

I hope Joplin's injury is minor and proves a sobering educational experience for her (too much to ask.) And that Rocky's checkup goes well. Horses already... We have a vet visit for teeth and vax tomorrow.

We are chipping away in increments, peeling another layer off the dressage onion. Nothing astounding to report, just learning what we don't know!

Laddie's saddle suddenly started making ominous, expensive-sounding squeaking noises yesterday. Saddle fitter thinks it may be a rivet coming loose in the tree, which will be a complete pain as it will have to go back to Trilogy for a fix which no doubt will be mucho dinero. She's coming out to look at it on Sunday--and I have a big clinic the following weekend. I have another of the same model for Walker, but it is a size wider tree, but I think with some judicious flocking and padding we may be able to make it work at least temporarily as Laddie has really bulked out recently.

My trainer is a brand-new Custom rep and fitter, so she is eying me hungrily. I really wasn't budgeting for $4K for a new saddle in the near future, though.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Another thank you for the great photos in this thread. I especially love the saguaros in exvet's background!

Lots of jingles for horses on the mend or with recent injuries.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:24 pm

Well we are grounded for the next two weeks.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Damn SF right there with you with Joplin.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Bummer SF. At least you caught it quickly.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:04 pm

At least it isn't worse, just swelling in the tendon sheath. She presented 1+ lame on hard surface. Had to cancel my November lessons, but hopefully this is just a minor hiccup.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Sorry SF and khall :( Hopefully both mares will heal up just fine.

Rocky is ready to rehab! Vet said she looks great. He said 3 weeks of gradually increasing the trot work on straight lines. I can trot her on the long side of my short dressage arena, but not around the corners yet. If she holds up for that, in three weeks I can start adding big circles for a couple of weeks. If that goes well, I can add some canter. I will take it very slowly. I asked the vet if he was going to ultrasound her again today and he said no. Because, by the way she looked, even if the ultrasound still showed something, he’d still want me to start the rehab program.

Yesterday I had my 5th lesson on Mistique,the school horse. M initial rides on her had some really nice moments but the connection was inconsistent. After thinking about it before my ride yesterday, I decided to change the way I mounted her. Instead of taking minimal contact before I mounted, I shortened the reins to riding length first, and then got on. After mounting, I sat for a minute and let her feel the shorter reins. During the ride I was very clear about the contact I was going to keep. She tried just a little to take more rein but then she settled into the rein length that I gave her and was consistently giving me what the trainer was asking. Lots of trot and canter. We are just doing canter from the trot, but the departs are now really clear and consistent, and the canter to trot transitions are distinct and nice. so maybe next week we’ll do canter from walk. We also started trot leg yields on the long side (versus on the circle as we had been doing). The leg yields were good enough that we only did a couple and then started doing trot half passes. Trainer was able to make some corrections to my seat and shoulders in the half passes and next week should be better.

I am thinking about continuing weekly lessons with Mystique even after Rocky is rehabbed.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Sue B - what a cool horse Scotty turned out to be by the sounds of that! I think Ding would have left the country :D
Yay for riding, and for you too Kyra's mum.

Hot4spots - scary close one!
Exvet - was she a good instructor, Heather Blitz? I loved that big horse she had - Paragon? I'm not sure if she still has him?
Demi, that's great Rocky is ready for rehab! Hope it all goes well.
Chisamba - wow what an awesome photo!! Everything about it looks soft and correct, Kimba's expression, her topline, your riding.. yes I'd be stoked to have a pic like that.
Khall - sorry about Joplin, hope she'll be ok and all it takes is that bit of stall rest. Look forward to seeing some vid of Rip - I'm having some trouble with the big horse and half steps, he doesn't quite get how to diagonalise either, he just sort of shuffles his feet but he's taken a while to stay calm about it all.
SF - fingers crossed yours is only a little blip and jingles for quick healing.

I decided I'm going to try and teach Ding levade. I accidentally did a school halt, and so starting doing it on purpose :D I think it will help him strengthen his hind end, and the school halt is really teaching me about timing and finesse with my aids.

DingschoolhaltS.jpg
DingschoolhaltS.jpg (97.3 KiB) Viewed 18157 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:15 pm

its a cool photo, how did you "accidentally" teach it :)

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Nice Flight!! That is exactly what the school halt will do, strengthen and encourage an engaged posture. Will Ding do it with both front legs? Very similar to what Karen R does with hers as she starts SW, yours is very very good though showing excellent balance and engagement.

I've got to work on editing them down a bit. Just have not had time yet. Poor Gaila came back from the trainer kind of a train wreck and then Joplin going to the vet yesterday. Been a busy and tiring week.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:03 am

Chisamba, I had him out somewhere else (not at home) and he gets a bit excited. We were doing some rein back to piaffe steps and i must have had too much of a hold and I felt him sink down more behind and lift up and pause sort of thing. So, I played around with it in front of the mirror at home and worked it out some more.
Khall, not both fronts at the same time but which foreleg he lifts depends on which way he's balanced. No worries about the vids, hope your week settles down :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:06 am

Flight - I have not been able to audit/watch any of the other rides. At least for me, she seems to be a decent teacher. She's got a good eye and is honest. She also makes sure I have homework until the next clinic. I think it will take me at least one or two more rides to really make a accurate assessment but she's not inexpensive and so far I'm willing to shell out more to get to ride with her again.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Somehow it's almost the end of October already, and I've managed to:
- Lose the same 2-3 lb 3x
- Canter Queso under saddle consistently. In fact, he'd prefer we canter everywhere. My trot is now MIA.
- Get really quality half-steps towards piaffe steps on Kiwi. Granted, the smell of nearby wild pigs helped. I'm not too proud to accept help here.

Thanks, all, for keeping this thread lively. I am very inspired by the good work here. And sorry to hear of the recent spate of injuries-- wish everyone a quick drama-free convalescence that needs it.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Canter Queso under saddle consistently. In fact, he'd prefer we canter everywhere. My trot is now MIA.

OMG, I know what you mean. Same deal with me on Jet! Trot, trot ... where are youuuu!!??!! LOL
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:08 pm

I can't remember what my goals were this round. I think it was more of the same of what i was doing.
I've been riding the big horse pretty regularly and he's going quite nicely again. It seems he's the type that if he gets a few days off the next ride back is pretty rough and then he's ok again on the 2nd ride back. He's stayed sound which is the main thing too.
I've been mostly working on having him steady, not rushing and calm when I change anything like bend/trans etc. He can quickly turn into a wheelbarrow, especially lengthen trot or canter. I think now I can start allowing more impulsion. I have to remember I don't need to use my hands much at all, it's such a bad instinct of mine to first use my hands.

https://youtu.be/2z0NkZuUYLI

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:22 am

So on Friday we had warnings that a Nor'easter was approaching on Saturday, so I decided everyone should do hill work and I would take the opportunity to photograph us with the fall backdrop.

Hope you dont mind a couple of shares. The storm did come today and wiped away the pretty
Attachments
20181028_000950_240x306.jpg
20181028_000950_240x306.jpg (72.06 KiB) Viewed 18024 times
20181028_002023.jpg
20181028_002023.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 18024 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:45 pm

StraightForward wrote:P
1) Annabelle -
Jump once a week - planning to enter the winter jumping shows here - November will be cross-rails, maybe we'll work up to the 2' division, or maybe not.
Lengthenings and LYs each ride, keep working on the forward and suppleness
Square halts and staying on the bit more consistently
Start developing counter canter and W/C
Go to at least one event each month (first will probably be an open schooling show this Saturday)

2) Kyra - I'll probably ride her through mid-October
Practice the training and first level tests for my own sake
Keep developing connection to the right rein
Develop more consistent bend, especially to the right
Keep playing with the lateral work, working up to HP

3) Tesla - No pressure, just baby stuff. Maybe take her on short trailer rides a couple times. Wear tack and blankies. Improve manners with feet and allow touching all over.

With Annabelle on stall rest, it's safe to do a wrap-up.

Annabelle - I think I only jumped her 2-3 times. She had some funky movement that she had to work out of for several weeks, so I didn't want to exacerbate anything by jumping. However, is is becoming more adjustable and capable of cantering to the jumps, even with my unhelpful guidance. I jumped her the day before she came up lame though, so now I'm worried that she should not be jumping. It is probably a coincidence given the <2' we are jumping but still.

Overall, she is getting much more consistent in the contact and canter departs. LY is starting to come. We have a ways to go on lengthening though. That will be a focal area this winter to start looking towards 1st level.

We did make it to one show and got pretty nice scores and had fairly solid rides, so I'm happy with that.

Kyra - I stopped riding at the beginning of October because I had too much on my plate. However, I was pleased with how much more even and on the aids she was becoming. Definitely improved my feeling for the lateral work during September.

Baby T - Introduced clippers the other day. She is good with blankets now, but has some work left to do with her feet-handling manners. She takes a bit and is pretty good to saddle now. We didn't manage any trailer rides, but did do a couple walks down the ditch bank. I'm thinking she won't be backed until about August next year, so I'm happy with the slow stress-free pace.
Keep calm and canter on.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:08 pm

I’ve been riding more regularly the last month than I was able to most of the summer. It feels great once I’ve done it, but it sure takes a lot of moxie to make myself go out at the beginning of the day when it’s pitch black out, or after a long day of work. I definitely notice being 54 in terms of having less energy to do as much in a day as I used to do.

I’ve managed to ride (or drive) Finn, my 4 yo gelding, at least 2-3 times a week. Every ride he improves. It’s fun to see him figure things out as we go along. While I don’t like the “is this the ride I’ll get dumped on?” feeling, I LOVE seeing & feeling how youngsters learn to learn and improve.

Here he is yesterday at the walk, negotiating some ground poles that were out for my daughter’s lesson.
3F21F8FB-14E2-46A7-A8ED-B395116B52D7.jpeg
Walk over poles.
3F21F8FB-14E2-46A7-A8ED-B395116B52D7.jpeg (91.2 KiB) Viewed 17987 times

And at the trot, which is more and more forward, more and more responsive, and even some glimmers of him seeking the contact with a lovely out & down feeling.
A652572A-E7B8-4966-A6E9-BF948F9B65CD.jpeg
Trot.
A652572A-E7B8-4966-A6E9-BF948F9B65CD.jpeg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 17987 times

I’ve been riding Jet about 4 times a week on average, sometimes more. I try to get up at 5:30 to be on him by 6 a.m., which is well before dawn (thank goodness for my outdoor arena lights!). It’s SO hard to drag myself out from the warmth of my cozy bed, but I always am glad I did after the ride is done.

It’s too dark before (and often, after) work to hack, so my daughter and I try to go on the weekend. Yesterday we went for about 1-1/2 hrs including a great canter down a lovely groomed trail that is just 1 km from my place. After that, to cool them out, we went bush-whacking which is always great fun and the horses really enjoy it.
0978CACD-5641-448D-B3E2-3C705CE461BD.jpeg
Hacking in the woods.
0978CACD-5641-448D-B3E2-3C705CE461BD.jpeg (147.95 KiB) Viewed 17987 times

I seem to be unable to ride three in a day like I used to do. It’s simply the time crunch, not as much the energy. Now that I’m a mom, and I have to feed the kiddo by 8 pm so that she can go to bed at 9 pm, that cuts into that 3rd ride time. I’m ok with that, but will have to be realistic and probably sell Panache. We’ll see.
Last edited by DJR on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

khall

Postby khall » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Flight and Tsavo here is Rip working on diagnolizing in hand. Cedar asks for the inside hind as the outside fore starts to come forward to get the diagnolizing. This is to teach Rip the mechanics of piaffe. The first time Cedar tried this we got all kinds of hoopla, lots of levade and much bashing of teeth and upset from Rip. Now after I have spent time working SW he is much more receptive to this work. You can see where he wants to offer SW at times which is fine, Cedar just keeps asking for the diagnolizing. I also work half steps with Rip for a different take on piaffe, but this breaking it down to the mechanics teaches him more about the posture we are looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/keri.hall.35/v ... 277275438/

Here is Rip working on SW in hand (have not tried it US yet) I am asking for him to hold the extension to help maintain the balance of the movement. Here I am focusing on the front legs only, I need to start reminding him to step up from behind which will diagnolize him in the movement. In some of his other tries not filmed he was stepping more with the hind in diagnolizing.

https://www.facebook.com/keri.hall.35/v ... 000612399/

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Speaking of gnashing of teeth....Rudy had quite the episode on Saturday.

In the back of my mind I knew something was up when he kept bumping me with his head, like when leading him, tying him up, and opening the gate to leave the pasture for the arena. Then when I mounted, he grabbed at the bit and started to head out of the arena to go down the road, threatening to buck if i didn't let him. At that point, I set him down and told him to get his hind end in gear, which, to his credit, he mostly did. It's a bit hard because I can't trot much and can't canter at all yet so 90% of our work is in the walk. Any who, while the work was "okay" it was not really correct or fully "through", and so I decided to do a little ground work with him before putting him up. Immediately, he shortened and bulged his neck out, shoving his chest at me and gnashing his teeth. It quickly became apparent that I wasn't going to accomplish anything the way i was working him, and so I switched out the bridle for a plain halter and dropped the whip by the mounting block. He seemed most resistant on the off-side so, naturally, that's where I started with simply telling him to move out of my space. Almost immediately, he snarled at me, threw all his weight to his hind quarters and got ready to rear and strike out at me. :shock: He hasn't done that since early days in his training. I, of course, did not back down but just calmly stood my ground, ready to ramp up if needed. All of a sudden, mid-attack mode, Rudy softened his whole face, dropped his head and stretched his neck fdo with a great big sigh. Finished out with a lovely, if simple, ground work session and all was well. He has never experienced me being injured and riding--I think it's messing with his mind. :lol:

Sunday, btw, was much better.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Interesting weekend... I'm left smacking my head for being an unobservant idiot.

We've been struggling a bit this month, I've had some health issues going on and Laddie has been just a bit off--resistant, stiff--see my post on inside leg to outside hand, for instance, and I've been feeling something that wasn't lameness, per se, but wasn't quite right in the left front, and he's been tripping a bit more than usual behind, but I put that down to the shoer being late.

I mentioned the other day that my saddle suddenly developed an creak/squeak. My lovely fitter came and looked at it yesterday and feels that a rivet has worked loose or broken in left front of the tree, right over where the tree point meets the left shoulder (where he was quite sore when she poked hard enough at him... and that it's probably been developing over the course of several weeks.

Cue lightbulb moment...

She fitted Walker's saddle to him, which is the same model in a wider tree size (she reckons that in theory it's too wide for him, but as we know some horses have preferences that aren't what we think are the ideal) and got it nice and balanced and level in the seat for me, and the difference was night and day--I have my soft, round, willing horse back, I have left leg to right rein, I have no weirdness on the left front and when I think about it, he didn't trip at all during the ride.

So, his saddle gets to go in for repairs--maybe just the rivet, maybe a whole new tree, and we'll see whether we can perfect the fit if that one when it comes back.

I feel that we can now start to progress again. I'm riding with Mette next weekend and I'm excited about it!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:07 pm

glad it was an easy fix!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Well, I came home from Austin to find that Miro is still not 100%. The wound on his hip was actually a puncture, and while it isn't infected, he is still slightly sore on it even after two weeks off. I'm torn between just giving him more time vs calling the vet out. He has no temp, is not flinchy when it's palpated so I'm thinking he's just got some scar tissue in those muscles. It's just below the point of the hip, so it's not over bone or anything. I just hate not quite knowing if I should give him some stall rest, turn him out, keep riding him, call the vet... argh. At least it's pin pointed to that injury.

Return to “Dressage Training”