Don't call it fall: September/October Autumn Goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Don't call it fall: September/October Autumn Goals

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:58 pm

How frustrating Dresseur! Having the vet out might be worth it for the peace of mind. There is a dollar value to worrying less, even if he just prescribes rest that you would have given anyway.

Moutaineer, glad you found the saddle issue and it cleared up some other issues. Nice that you had a spare that Laddie can wear while the other is out for repairs.

Rye, glad you had a great clinic!
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:31 pm

I would have the vet out, punctures scare me.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:25 pm

After 2 weeks, I'd have the vet out, Dresseur, even just for peace of mind.

(Says she sitting here still with the lump on her ankle and swollen foot from hoof vs human incident nearly 3 weeks ago...)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:15 pm

I put in a call to the vet. I want the peace of mind. Horses suck.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:29 pm

There must be something in the air this month. Earlier this week, Queso tried to jump the arena fence (~5 ft) and twanged off the light support and gave himself a heck of a bruise. He's luckily sound, but what on earth possessed him to try his hoof at jumping? Horses, man.

He then compounded his ridiculous efforts by rearing at the mounting block yesterday, falling backwards into a sitting position, and then "running away" at the walk when I tried to catch him afterwards.

And in even stranger news, Kiwi was the only horse in our 7-horse drill team that didn't lose her mind last night spooking at bushes outside of the arena. WHAT IS HAPPENING?

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:53 pm

I don't know. Juliet is having colic like symptoms but it is not colic. Pretty bad Friday morning and then again yesterday afternoon after a ride. Vet out both times, bloodwork fine (wanted to see if she was tying up since she is PSSM 1) exam fine. Now speculation is that it is a transitional heat that is causing her issues or ulcers. Did this a few weeks ago, half dose of banamine and she was fine.

Grrr yes horses. I have to say I am paranoid about Joplin now since she apparently did her injury out in the pasture, a mostly flat pasture. I am drugging Rip for solo TO to prevent any ooops.

Jingles for all who are dealing with equine related issues! And major jingles for all who are dealing with equine assisted injuries:(

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm of course now in full panic mode now because it was a puncture that I missed, and now was not treated for 2 weeks. I'm having nightmares of a deep infection spreading up to the hip joint etc. etc. sigh.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Dresseur wrote:I'm of course now in full panic mode now because it was a puncture that I missed, and now was not treated for 2 weeks. I'm having nightmares of a deep infection spreading up to the hip joint etc. etc. sigh.

:(
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:41 pm

is anyone healthy around here :(
Knock on wood, riot is fine but my dog is having some issues.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Ugh, UDBB horses please get better! And/or try to remain sane. Please follow Kiwi's example :-)

A lot has happened on this board over the two months. Horses have been acquired, retired, in recovery, in training. Thanks for sharing the journey.

I was pretty non-specific about goals this time, but I'm pleased that we did a lot of good work (5 days/week most weeks). Looking ahead, I'm ready to up the ante on my expectations for the little grey mare because she is still improving! One of my rides this week involved a very happy mare out the fields working on haunches in 10 m canter circles. She said, that is hard, but I can do it! And she did quite a respectable job. We've also improved the steadiness of our connection quite a bit over these last two months. Between my behavior (be the buddha rider) and switching her to an eggbutt, she is much more consistent in the contact.

Em in Oct.jpg
Em in Oct.jpg (82.01 KiB) Viewed 12870 times

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Ryeissa wrote:is anyone healthy around here :(
Knock on wood, riot is fine but my dog is having some issues.

Doesn’t seem like it, I’m even down and out with a plague.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
Dresseur wrote:I'm of course now in full panic mode now because it was a puncture that I missed, and now was not treated for 2 weeks. I'm having nightmares of a deep infection spreading up to the hip joint etc. etc. sigh.

:(

sometimes even with trt you still can't get the infection out. My horse Rye had surgery for a puncture, but it wasn't a huge deal in the end. She was at the vet the same day, even then it wasn't enough.
Jingles!

I don’t think that makes me feel better lol! The cut/puncture is healing very well, I just think he’s disproportionately off for what it is. Still no temp. He doesn’t flinch at all when it’s palpated. He doesn’t drag toes, and stride is even, he just kind of drops the hip a bit. How do they even image that area? Ultrasound? X-ray won’t show anything...
48ACB270-18E6-4D19-80D8-79209B4F4236.jpeg
48ACB270-18E6-4D19-80D8-79209B4F4236.jpeg (176.87 KiB) Viewed 12850 times
02026157-49AE-49FD-B433-15EC7EBAAC60.jpeg
02026157-49AE-49FD-B433-15EC7EBAAC60.jpeg (196.53 KiB) Viewed 12850 times

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Well, &*%*()@%!!!! I just received a letter from the BOs saying they are shutting down as of 1/1/19. They are entitled to their retirement, but don't tell me they didn't have this in the works long before yesterday. Now there will be about 17 people scrambling to find new boarding arrangements in the next two months. Not as bad out here in California, but still a problem because of rain/mud. Most of the other barns in the area are either uber-expensive or do not have covered arenas, which I must have, since I still work full time and have to ride after work. I am highly suspicious that certain "favored" boarders (i.e., RICH people) will be allowed to remain (that's about 3 horses). I hope I am wrong in that supposition, or I would be even more upset. I am the longest term boarder there, having been there since 1989 and have been a low maintenance, undemanding boarder, always paid on time, etc. AARRGGGH. I am shooting out emails left and right. Most of the other affordable barns w. covered arenas are a considerable distance further away, and my only vehicle is a 3/4 ton truck.* Not to mention my "pony," who is 14, has been there since he was 3 years old. Since he's Mr. Hyper anyway, any change is probably going to ramp him up somewhat. Sigh. Yeah, I know, sh*t happens. And, oh yeah, for a week I've had a very sore shoulder/neck/arm and I have no idea why. I did move some heavy boxes about a week ago, but if this is in reaction to that, it didn't happen the next day...,.I have a orthopaedist appointment for Thursday. Sigh. Just what I needed going into winter.

*I was sorta optimistic about the possibility of taking him to the barn of the cowgirl who started him - decent sized paddocks (not too big for Mr Suspensory injury to get crazy in), and VERY experienced horse people. I was thinking maybe I wouldn't have to ride him as often and thus cut down on the gas expense. But then I read on Yelp! that they don't allow you to ride in the covered arena when there are lessons/training going on. That just won't work for me in the winter, so that's out. Double sigh.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:57 pm

We really go through the wringer with these horses, don’t we!? Hot4spots, I feel for you and your boy. I sure hope he ends up in a good, if not better situation. At least he has you looking out for him and that’s a good constant in his life.

Dresseur, that doesn’t look too bad. Just remember that you and Miro are both ahead of the curve so even with a little more time out, you’ll still be really far along. Frustrating, I know, and feel for you. Emma fell a couple of years ago while careening around her pasture and got a similar looking cut on her stifle. I think she may have fallen on a rock which caused the cut. She was slightly lame for a few weeks but eventually healed up just fine. She still has the scar.

I’m glad Mountaineer has her problem under control. But, Queso!! What is going on boy?!

We are getting lots of participants on these threads so if I miss someone, it’s not that I’m not interested, just can’t keep up. I do read and enjoy ALL the journeys.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:12 am

I didnt have any goals this time so no report. Rocky is rehabbing nicely. Today we did our third day of adding 5 minutes of trot. She feels really good to me. I am glad i was able to give her turnout this whole time. I think, and so does my vet that has known Rocky all her life, that she probably got the injury while tearing around her pasture. I can do more to control that situation but the only way I could prevent it from ever happening again is to never turn her out, and I won’t do that.

Some of the things i will do to minimize the risk are: Always turn her out alone. Put her in a stall when I hook up the trailer (she gets excited when I hook up and runs enough to work up a sweat). Turn her out daily even in bad weather so that doesn’t get “cabin fever” and turn into a maniac when she finally does get out. And that’s about it.

Horses!! They’re nuts.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:29 am

It doesn't look bad dresseur. They can pick up foreign debris on an ultrasound.
Jingles to all!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:25 am

Gosh...jingles to everyone that all maladies resolve.

I got to ride yesterday. Kyra was great even in the wind and I did a few more trot sets to test out my back. She was more forward and energetic and it went pretty well although I am still not pushing the trot agenda. My foot is killing me walking on it but delightfully, riding, even the posting trot, did not bother it at all.

Hot4Spots...I am kind of waiting for that shoe to drop. My BO's I am sure will retire from the boarding schtick sometime soon. I think I have boarded out there all but 2 years in the last 20? A long time. I have put up with the less than ideal footing by using hoof boots but very much liking the home grown hay (as much as they need) and the fact that she has a large pen (by boarding barn standards) and is out moving around 24/7. It is going to be tough (and more expensive) when I have to move. That is a bad time to close too. Around here it is really hard to find ANYTHING with an indoor in the middle of winter. Jingles the right thing comes along.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:33 am

Jingles for all of you human and horses with injuries and illness. BTDT with most of them! Khall I took care of my neighbors mare while she was in the hospital last Spring and she had symptoms similar to Juliet. Minor coliccy over several days but never anything else. Two vet calls and dosed with blank blank typical ulcer Med not gastrogard. Vet diagnosed her as transitional heat and possible ulcers. What worked was compounded powder omeprozole on a daily basis. We’ve just kept her on it since she’s a sort of nervy mare. No more colic symptoms. Good luck to all.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:43 am

demi wrote:
Some of the things i will do to minimize the risk are: Always turn her out alone. Put her in a stall when I hook up the trailer (she gets excited when I hook up and runs enough to work up a sweat). Turn her out daily even in bad weather so that doesn’t get “cabin fever” and turn into a maniac when she finally does get out. And that’s about it.

Horses!! They’re nuts.

Sting's wild careening around is often in response to what the other horses are doing, so when I'm moving horses I move him first to help minimize it. I don't intervene when the other horses move around in pasture and that gets him going, but I do try to manage things so that my activities don't provoke it.

He also gets the safest turnouts with the safest fences, as none of the others are flaming idiots.

I'm careful with him because I don't want to have to start over again, but feel like there's only just so much I can do to help keep him safer.

I totally exceeded my goal to ride more in Sept/Oct, and even added in a lot more canter. But last time I rode I got off and felt bad about pushing him too hard, so need to get myself together and get back to the slower, more methodical work that seems right to me.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:38 pm

My last horse, Erik, always got excited about "going for a trailer ride." But it was not crazy, just more like a dog when you say, "Walkies?!?" He whoop around a little then come to the fence and eagerly wait for me to get hitched up, stand quietly while I put on the shipping boots, then almost trot, quietly, to and into the trailer. I miss that sweet guy.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:06 pm

Walker runs round like an idiot and then goes to find something unpleasant to roll in...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:13 pm

my horse just stands at the gate and waits for me. Mamma's boy. totally.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Same. He comes up and waits, and then walks on all by himself. :)

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:47 am

We had horses turned out in the front yard one time when the trailer was parked in the driveway with the doors open (2 horse straight load step up) and all of them took turns getting in to see if there was anything to eat in there.

Return to “Dressage Training”