Video of Rudy

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Video of Rudy

Postby Sue B » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Still bored, weather is beautiful, I can't ride.

So, this was taken 2 weeks before my accident. I'm pleased with it because he is not ducking or curling and his under-neck is mostly soft. (Remember, Rudy has a high-set ewe neck, massive withers and an ultra-short banana back.) There are lots of things I can pick apart, don't get me wrong, but I feel that overall, we are on a good track towards 3rd level. The video quality is pretty poor cuz sis shot it with her old iphone, but you'll get the gist of what I've been doing with Rudy. Feel free to critique or even criticize, but realize this is just 3 minutes out of a 40 minute ride and it does not show any stretching work. That I do at the beginning, somewhere in the middle and often at the end of our workouts depending on what I've been working on and how he feels.

https://youtu.be/FNJLp2DqbSU

Picture of Rudy hanging out at the fence so you can see his conformation.
Rudy confo shot 2018.jpg
Rudy confo shot 2018.jpg (216.2 KiB) Viewed 11625 times

Ryeissa

Re: Video of Rudy

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Nice work! I think you are sort of where I am at, there is some tension as they learn collection and how to manage both pushing and extending.
I liked the walk canter work. thanks for sharing

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 pm

i agree his neck is fairly soft and shaped .

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Yes, I would agree his neck looks more draped and softer. His shoulder in is looking nice.
My critique, which I'm sure you already know, is that you are working entirely too damn hard, particularly at the canter. I suspect he's not truly in front of your leg, so you are pumping with your upper body to create the forward. I have also been known to do this :)

However, I think his short back probably accentuates this. He must be a saddlefitting conundrum!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:49 pm

I enjoyed seeing your work! I also really appreciate that you posted a conformation shot, too. We should all try to do this sometimes with working shots or video, as it is quite interesting.

I like your partnership and overall I think his neck shape is doing well. I tend to agree with Mountaineer---you are working too hard and his butt is not quite in gear. I would also reflect on whether your chair seat tendencies (at times) are contributing to how much you are working.

You both show great focus in that environment---y'all get some real wind, don't you?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Agree with others, but he does have a nice canter as many TB's do. The conformation shot interests me because of his back. What kind of saddle fits him and are you able to get it short enough to not go past the 18th rib? I had a saddle person here today and was told that my mare has the shortest back she has ever seen. It is going to be a real challenge to find something that will work for me.

Grandiose
Greenie

Postby Grandiose » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:45 pm

I love that you are working in a "non-perfect" arena. So many people use the riding facilities, their tack, etc as an excuse not to improve. And your horse is the perfect example of how dressage helps conformation and movement. Nice job!

I missed what happened, why are you not able to ride right now?

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 pm

I agree, he was not truly in front of my leg--he is VERY good at cheating, especially in the canter. When he actually sits and stays in front, though, his canter is amazing; so it's something I'd been focusing on until I got hurt. I'm glad you guys "approve" of his neck--now that I have some control over that, the gaits will come through.

Grandiose, I parted ways with my younger horse, Tio, and hurt my back and tail bone pretty badly so I'm on the DL for now. Otoh, I have a pretty, new glittery helmet now. :lol:

MC, saddle fitting has been a complete nightmare, given that I have/had a very limited budget. I ride him in a 17" County Perfection with a 3" rear gusset and upswept panels that the saddle fitter and I found on ebay. It does not fit me well at all, but Rudy likes it so I go with it. It is, in fact, too long and so I work to stay at the front of the saddle, up over my knees. I have been considering trying one of the short-treed saddles (like the one Passier makes) but I hate to "mess with success" so to speak. It took me most of a year and hundreds of dollars shipping saddles back and forth to find this saddle. Things are even worse on the saddle fitting front now.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 pm

He looks really steady and consistent. I didn't notice that he wasn't totally in front of your leg.
Yes, that does look like a tricky back for saddle fitting!
Hope your back heals up soon and you can ride again.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm

I really appreciated the vid, and what you’ve done with Rudy. The conformation shot was an eye opener! Some of us work with “less than ideal” conformations, temperaments, and conditions, and it is nice to see what can be done in those circumstances.

Hoping that you will be riding again soon so we can get more vids!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:26 pm

demi wrote:I really appreciated the vid, and what you’ve done with Rudy. The conformation shot was an eye opener! Some of us work with “less than ideal” conformations, temperaments, and conditions, and it is nice to see what can be done in those circumstances.

Hoping that you will be riding again soon so we can get more vids!

Me too. I love the vids because it's so much more interesting when there are visuals to go with the descriptions. That, and it's fun to see all the different horses and where they live.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Just some observations which may help - he is never really through or over the back - instead he is pressing up through the neck against your contact, dropping his back, and not engaging his hind legs.Also he does not bend through the corners - he shouldnt go one step with that amount of tension in his whole body - in other words, don't accept anything less than a soft, round contact on both side. not. one. step. otherwise you are encouraging him to be disconnected and blocked in his body. do not forfeit your throughness and quality of his gaits in order to do "stuff".

I am sorry if this may sound harsh - that's not at all what I mean to do. just offering some insight and perspective. he's a beautiful horse
"Fix things going forward." LR

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Linden wrote:Just some observations which may help - he is never really through or over the back - instead he is pressing up through the neck against your contact, dropping his back, and not engaging his hind legs.Also he does not bend through the corners - he shouldnt go one step with that amount of tension in his whole body - in other words, don't accept anything less than a soft, round contact on both side. not. one. step. otherwise you are encouraging him to be disconnected and blocked in his body. do not forfeit your throughness and quality of his gaits in order to do "stuff".

I am sorry if this may sound harsh - that's not at all what I mean to do. just offering some insight and perspective. he's a beautiful horse

How would you suggest going about doing this?

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:49 pm

Josette wrote:http://www.janesavoie.com/newsletter-nov-2018/?inf_contact_key=6cb061fe68a8aad7998c826b7a5e4785a6b86dc3add16c5b2d99fa6ce2f236b0

What does everyone think?

I like Jane but this isn't my favorite video. Sorry

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:24 pm

I think it’s a great video! Very good explaining. I need this vid!

Thank you for posting it, Josette.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:40 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
Linden wrote:Just some observations which may help - he is never really through or over the back - instead he is pressing up through the neck against your contact, dropping his back, and not engaging his hind legs.Also he does not bend through the corners - he shouldnt go one step with that amount of tension in his whole body - in other words, don't accept anything less than a soft, round contact on both side. not. one. step. otherwise you are encouraging him to be disconnected and blocked in his body. do not forfeit your throughness and quality of his gaits in order to do "stuff".

Riding inside leg to outside hand,riding in slight shoulder fore always to teach the horse about halfhalting (often) to encourage lightness of the forehand, making sure the horse stays on the seat, not on the hands. it's easier to keep the horse on the seat and true contact with the outside rein if the horse is in shoulder fore - this is all just correct riding. it's the natural progression.
"Fix things going forward." LR

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:38 am

Linden wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:

Riding inside leg to outside hand,riding in slight shoulder fore always to teach the horse about halfhalting (often) to encourage lightness of the forehand, making sure the horse stays on the seat, not on the hands. it's easier to keep the horse on the seat and true contact with the outside rein if the horse is in shoulder fore - this is all just correct riding. it's the natural progression.

Ok. Good. I already do this.

Return to “Dressage Training”