Regaining confidence

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Regaining confidence

Postby demi » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I am putting this topic here because Ive been seeing the subject on various threads and and even on the FB page. The topic seems more common than I had thought, and I think it belongs in the dressage training forum because there are a lot of older ones doing dressage.

The thing that has helped me the absolute most is taking dressage lessons from the right trainer. I was regaining my confidence slowly but when my horse tore a suspensory, I started taking lessons on one of my trainers horses. My trainer said she picked this horse especially for me. The horse was exactly right for me and now I am riding more confidently than I have in years. I am cantering a lot in every lesson. The horse I am riding is a half Arab mare, like my own Rocky. The big difference is that the school horse is half Irish draught (sp?) and a former eventer. She feels very solidly under my seat even tho she is powerful with a great motor. She can spook a little bit but the spooks are not bucky or violent.

I think it would be helpful to take lessons from any good, repeat:GOOD trainer, just to get on a confidence builder. Of course, working with a dressage trainer is the best, but they dont always have the right school horse. I got lucky.

Another thing that has helped, and others have mentioned this, is full seat breeches. Amazing invention!! I considered getting a suede seat saddle but after reading the posts about them on the goals thread I decided against it.

I would like to hear of others experiences.

Ryeissa

Re: Regaining confidence

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 pm

for me having the suede seat really helps, I didn't realize it would be such a mental boost.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm

demi wrote:
I think it would be helpful to take lessons from any good, repeat:GOOD trainer, just to get on a confidence builder. Of course, working with a dressage trainer is the best, but they dont always have the right school horse. I got lucky.

I would like to hear of others experiences.

My problem was less about confidence than interest, as I was burning out on riding and couldn't seem to come up with the motivation to keep at it. I thought about it all last year, and wasn't coming up with either interest, or a solution. Tried riding with a few different trainers, and while they were very nice and very knowledgeable and I enjoyed the lessons, I was uncomfortable with taking lessons at all because I didn't feel like they were right for my horse.

But then this fall, just right out of the blue, an adult beginner who had recently moved into the area contacted me because she was a clicker trainer (dogs) and wanted to learn more about how to apply it to horses. And then, all of a sudden, I started riding with her and was back into riding again.

The worst part of it is that I knew I was in a rut, but couldn't figure out how to get out, and never in a million years would have thought that the answer (or at least one of the answers) was to get together with others to ride!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Rye, I totally agree about the mental boost with the suede seat and it might be just the thing for someone who is dealing with confidence issues. I have a suede seat on my trail saddle and it is very reasurring.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Kande, I think that’s great that you’ve found a dressage buddy! I think you got lucky!I wish I had one too, but this board is the next best thing, at least for me. I also really get riding with a trainer who doesn’t really understand your horse. I got lucky and found one who does.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:03 pm

The last time I got bucked off and seriously hurt (broke a hip), I had zero confidence issues riding (8wks post injury) until the 1 year anniverary of the event. Then I went through some horrid defensive riding that I resolved with help of someone from the UDBB who coincidentally came to utah to give a clinic. She had us only walk the first day and then we only trotted the last bit of the second day, but it caused me to completely revamp my seat to the better. Fast forward a couple months, horsie went nutty at a big dressage show, I rode through it fine, and even managed to keep him from leaping through the judges booth, but the a-hole judge wrote an extremely nasty comment that once again destroyed my confidence for months afterward. The horse was Scotty, a giant TB who had been severely abused before being given to me. Let's just say he had some really interesting responses to stress and humans for a number of years. :lol: Luckily, my dh happened to attend that show AND take pictures, and he eventually got me through it. Since then, I have not allowed ANYONE to dictate my level of confidence in myself and my abilities. So, while I wish nothing but unhappiness for that judge for the rest of her sodding life, I do have to concede that she taught me a valuable life lesson.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:09 pm

demi wrote:I also really get riding with a trainer who doesn’t really understand your horse. I got lucky and found one who does.

You are lucky, because I think we get fussier about what we want as we gain experience, because we've already figured out what doesn't work for us.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:13 pm

This is a great topic. Sue, my story is less dramatic but echoes some of your insights. I rode for several years with someone who was skilled as a rider/trainer, but really did a number of my belief in myself and my ability to ride and train (despite evidence to the contrary---as I was the one riding and training the horse 95% of the time). I think the phrase I finally decided I couldn't take anymore was "The problem with you is..." "The problem with your horse is..." I don't think it was intentional---it was just unskillful communication. I now only take lessons from skillful communicators and trainers!

I also enjoy being at a barn where my skills are "middlin'" (I've been at barns where I'm the "good rider" and that is not fun for me.) There are a number of very fine riders with a lot of confidence and some very novice riders (often without much confidence) where I am now. I have a fairly spooky (but obedient) horse and ride happily by myself a lot. For me it's a combination of skills + experience + judgement that makes me feel confident. And I usually wear full-seats, just in case of teleportation!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Sue B wrote:Since then, I have not allowed ANYONE to dictate my level of confidence in myself and my abilities.

Hear! Hear! We are who we are, and they are who they are, and if we don't mix well then, bye, bye.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm not a super-confident rider. It takes me quite a long time to get to know a horse and feel comfortable on it in new situations, and things can take a knock fairly easily--and yes, a judge can do that to you, I know, Sue B. I had that earlier this year.

I take all necessary precautions and probably some unnecessary ones to stay as safe as I can, considering the large and unpredictable animals we choose to spend our time with. I have no desire to become a lawn dart at my age and state of bodily decrepitude. So yes on the full-seats! With silicon are even grippier, but they can also make strange squeaking noises that set the horse on edge, which rather defeats the purpose.

My horse also wears a bonnet to minimize distracting noises, especially in the winter when snow is cascading off the roof, and gets walked in hand in both directions around any arena I'm going to ride in to familiarize him with the spooky stuff before I get on.

But, having said that, I'm also pretty good at faking it til I make it. Most people who ride with me would not think this about me. Once I'm on and comfortable, I can pilot a horse pretty well. I have more confident barn mates, but they aren't necessarily very good or sensitive riders. And then I have the barn mates who are neither confident nor capable. They are the ones I try to avoid sharing a ring with...

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Hmm I have enough self confidence to not let anyone screw with me in that regard, but approaching riding certain horses (Rip for one, young unknowns for another) can give me pause. I have learned to listen to that inner voice if it is telling me to either not get on or GET OFF, but I've also learned to use the training Rip has to help me get through his spookiness (SI and lateral work is my friend!!) plus I have found a supplement that is really helping with his spookiness, making him more enjoyable to ride:)

I have had one seriously bad fall that put me in the ICU for 6 days with double chest tubes, but I blame myself totally for that riding accident and never thought twice about getting on that mare. She was 4 and had been stalled for an injury that meant I could not lunge, she had no TO and stupid me did not even want to pony her, she played rodeo mare. She is my filly Joplin's grand dam (lost her in 2001 to pasture accident at 19). She never did anything like that ever again. I had major anxiety over Rip as a young horse where I had to decide if I wanted to keep going or sell. Of course I kept him, not always been easy but I do know him well now and know when NOT to get on. Had Jillian ask me last clinic with her about him lunging (he put on quite the show for her, LOL!) she was afraid he was going to hurt himself, wanted me to just WIH. NOPE, I know better. If he hurts himself being a doofus on line, well better him than me.

Yes full seats can be helpful, but too hot here in the South during the summer! Mark made us all feel very safe riding (mostly) I did have one clinic, actually the last clinic I hosted with him, that I argued with him about riding Rip in one lesson. The wind was blowing 35 mph and Rip was high as a kite. Mark said trust your horse, NO NOT GONNA! I apologized later but still had no intention of letting up on Rip that day!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:51 pm

I dont like full seats, they do not give me confidence, I do like long leg patches, but long ago realized that cause your pants dont slide doesnt mean your arse ain't gonna slide.

I suffered a big dent in my confidence after the fire. Made no sense, I didnt fall. Nothing physically happened to me, but l would stand there on the mounting block and think "is this a good day to die" before mounting. Sometimes I would even fire off an " I love you" to hubby and son so if i died there would be no doubt.

So every time i threw my leg over and didnt die, i felt better. I had a few falls, started Kimba from scratch, Five years later the thought doesnt cross my mind. Today was cold and windy, the horses spooked and bucked, the thought never crossed my.mind. i think just doing it, made all that go away.

That said, i stopped riding Deneb. After five years it riding her consistently and still thinking she might kill us both, i retired my.most talented perfectly healthy completely sound horse .
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:56 pm

P.S. I cannot really say what my motive was. I could more easily have quit horses then than continued.

UDBB, was super kind to me, I got boxes and barrels of tack and saddle pads and stuff. People kindly sent me money, other contacted tack stores and the stores sent me gift cards. It didn't cover a tenth of the expense of refitting everything but it stopped my bleeding heart so I could imagine life was good again.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:11 pm

The weather has been against me this year to get in consistent riding. Now that I've restarted yet again - I go with my gut. I only ride outdoors and at home alone. I start out with a day or two simply walking the trails to relax and focus. Get the stiffness out of my body too. Yesterday we had gusts of wind so I only did short time on trails because I was concerned for falling branches. We did lots of walk / trot and figures in the ring but no canter because I could feel the tension with pony getting looky with a wind gust. He gets tense and I get defensive preparing for a spook that may never occur. So I rode what was reasonable and will go back to canter work on a better weather day. My goal is to leave the ring with a positive cooperative ride from him and safety as my priority. He did nice canter work on a previous ride and I did not want to undo it with a negative ride. I try and make it a good ride for both oi us.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 pm

When I came back to riding after a six year break with a short summer riding stint in the middle I started with part boarding a horse. Long story short the horse I started with dumped me pretty hard over some back to back spooks at nothing and completely wrecked my confidence. She was not a bad horse she was just sometimes dramatically spooky and so not really the right horse for me to come back to riding with. Lucky for me I was able to find the first spotted wonder horse who slowly built my confidence back up by being generally saintly. Funnily enough the first week I started riding him he spooked and spun (at an actual scary thing) going around a corner after a diagonal and having a bit of a cough and I fell off. Got back on and had a great ride and never worried too much about it. I think it didn't bother me because the spook was legit and the combination of the sharp turn and cough took me off balance just enough I couldn't sit it but it wasn't just out of nowhere because nothing.

Of course after I decided I wanted to buy my own horse I realized that I was actually kind of terrified to ride any horses other than the saintly spotted wonder horse so I found a place to take lessons on school horses. Those horses were all very safe as far as horses go but some of them were a little spicier so that helped too because by then I had been riding again for a while so was ready for that bit of extra horse. Pal is somewhere between the first spotted wonder horse and some of the spicier school horses and that's pretty perfect for me. So I think the right horse and a good understanding of what you're capable or not capable of handling as a rider or help that can see that for you (aka good instruction) are at the top of my list for building and maintaining confidence.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:47 am

I needed the right horse and circumstance.

I rode whackadoodle horses for years -- Mom and trainers volunteered me to ride the flighty, reactive, slightly crazy horses -- with no problem. My own mares were/are hot. I came off a lot, but stayed on far more frequently.

Then I had a unremarkable fall -- Anzia tripped during an extended trot, we both went down. She lost a fetus, I landed on a separated shoulder. That was 7 years ago, and it really screwed with my confidence.

After that, I struggled every time I sat down on a horse, until the second ride on Maia. I was still nervous, but riding the hot 4yo was just fine. I lost any remaining nervousness over the next 6 months.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:56 am

I think the right horse is essential and knowing oneself.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:33 pm

I have the right horse for me and it's still a challenge. I don't think I can or should trust any horse 100%. For me, it's not really a fall or any event- its just my nature to be concerned. My trainer noted that I am one of her only kinesthetic learners, so visualization of success and riding is hard for me. I have a hard time with that. I feel better the more I ride and have good muscle memory.

My fibro is my biggest confidence shaker. it is hard to stay in a good space that way, also when I get cold I stiffen and it makes me feel less confident, though I am finally starting to see how this all relates.

I also think I was approaching it as fear when it wasn't. I just didn't feel good physically.

I also tend to downplay my skills to think I can't handle things. I have done very well at every show and clinic I have attended, so I am not getting any red flags from the outside world.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
I also think I was approaching it as fear when it wasn't. I just didn't feel good physically.

In my case I knew it wasn't fear because I know what fear feels like. I was just tired, and the whole problem with getting old is that then we never know if fatigue is age or disease related.

And now inexplicably, I've snapped out of it, so was it mental or physical?

I can see why doctors have so much trouble diagnosing these kinds of problems, because we live with it and can't figure out what's going on.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:11 pm

khall wrote:I think the right horse is essential and knowing oneself.

Agree and agree. But both getting the right horse, and knowing oneself, are not necessarily easy things to accomplish. It can take much time for some (most?) of us. That’s why, for me at least, I think it was important to learn how to enjoy and appreciate the journey. What a journey it’s been!! Am I right??!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:58 pm

demi wrote:
Agree and agree. But both getting the right horse, and knowing oneself, are not necessarily easy things to accomplish. It can take much time for some (most?) of us. That’s why, for me at least, I think it was important to learn how to enjoy and appreciate the journey. What a journey it’s been!! Am I right??!

I think it's also possible to turn a wrong horse into the right horse if we're willing to take the time to do it, but you're right that we need to be okay with spending time on that particular journey, which can be quite different from the one that starts out with the ready made right horse.

Maybe that's the part about knowing ourselves, and which kind of journey we're likely to find most rewarding?

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:20 pm

I lost my confidence when I became a parent.

I was the one that my coaches/trainer friends would call because I "Velcro for an ass" (pardon the language) and could stick it through any spook, and would get put on the "fun" horses.

Then I had a baby and realized that I shouldn't do that anymore, then gradually, the shouldn't turned into a couldn't and it went downhill from there.

It has been quite the journey for me, and I am getting better and better each time I work with my horses. I am very fortunate to have some very willing and forgiving horses right now, who are excellent teaching, growing and healing creatures for me. :)

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:22 pm

You are correct demi it can be difficult to have both or to recognize both. It can take lots of introspection and self awareness which is not always easy. While yes the wrong horse can sometimes be made into the right horse what I have found is that there is still some residual fear there, hard to rebuild trust. I've found that personally (work on this often with my big orange beast!) and with others I've worked with and their horses.

I will put one thing out there that I do feel many AAs struggle with, only working with a few horses or one horse on a regular basis. That is often where pros (or like me semi pro where I get hands on with more than my own) have the advantage of growing their tool boxes. Frankly it is one of the reasons why I went to Spain and one reason why I plan on going to Portugal next year to ride. To expand my training knowledge on different breeds and different horses.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:40 pm

I agree that depth of horse and training experience helps a lot with confidence approaching new or challenging situations.

I am but an amateur with a single horse now, but I had the good fortune of riding literally 200+ horses on the way to learning what I know today. I have also had to sift through trainers and training philosophies, and fairly early on (maybe 2-3 years into riding and horses) was quite clear on what was and was not acceptable to me in training. That eliminated a lot of bad detours. And I had a number of very good instructors who were conscientious about rider skills and horse care.

As someone who learned to ride as an adult (at age 30!), I had different confidence challenges to face when I started. I loved learning, but I was really tight and nervous. Developing specific skills and learning about horse behavior helped me a lot as a "rational" adult to develop and evolve as a rider/trainer. I never had the luxury of just being brave and athletic. Riding is basically the sport I am worst at! (I was a competitive tennis player in my youth and played other sports, too.)

I see so many middle aged women return to riding in their 40s or 50s after a long gap away from horses They had substantial experience from 20+ years earlier that makes them brave and confident---and then they get in over their heads with the wrong horse/trainer/expectations for their current level of ability. I think it is much easier for me to deal with age and riding as it is a continuous process over the last 20+ years without any major gaps (at worst I rode 1 or 2/week for a few months over that period).

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 am

kande50 wrote:
demi wrote:

I think it's also possible to turn a wrong horse into the right horse if we're willing to take the time to do it, but you're right that we need to be okay with spending time on that particular journey, which can be quite different from the one that starts out with the ready made right horse.

Maybe that's the part about knowing ourselves, and which kind of journey we're likely to find most rewarding?

Well, it depends on the raw material you're working with. Even when Pickle looked like she was heading in the right direction with the trainer, I felt quite a bit of trepidation about the idea of getting on her. It would have been a process of relying on the trainer to pony us for a while. But when her behavior deteriorated again, I couldn't see light at the end of the tunnel, and knew there was a very good possibility of getting very seriously injured. Well, I found out recently that her dam ended up a brood mare because she bucked off several pro riders, so there you go. I think Pickle would have been OK if the early mistakes could have been avoided, but now, well, she's like her mom and only the select few should attempt to ride her.

The issues I've been through with both Obie and Pickle eroded my confidence as a rider/trainer. Finding nice, trainable horses brought me back around both times, though I have not dealt with real fear issues. I was back riding Kyra a couple days after Pickle dumped me and didn't give it a second thought. It is making me thing once or 100 times about backing Tesla myself though.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 am

Your pickle story is exactly the reason I wont breed Deneb, and why I feel temperament is so important in brood mares.

I am so glad I backed Kimba myself. I was very tempted to have her started. I was in an anxious place already, but I proceeded. I trust her a lot now. We've been to the beach, hunter places and horse shows. But I know her so well, I know what she can cope with and how she is most likely to react.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:22 pm

I came off my new horse 3 weeks after I bought him, bad spook and I bailed-very unlike him but too many things collided and it happened. I hadn't come off in 25 years and my confidence was shot. Shaking down to my core when he react to someting. But it was only on him. I would react to him and in turn he reacted to me and it was a chain reaction. Other horses were fine.

So we went back to the trainers and she's put me on 2-3 horses a day including my own and my seat is much improved as is my confidence. I've ridden a race horse, fox hunters, galloped my horse in a field, jumped him over tiny fences and taken him to hound walk and to a hunter pace. He is a solid citizen, which is why I bought him but we needed to bond and he needs turnout to be sane. And I needed to ride a bunch of horses after 2 years of riding 2x a week. We were foxhunting last Weds and the saddlepad slipped on the mare I was riding and she was throwing bucking fits (for her-more like porpoising, or whaling as my trainer calls it because she's so big). And it didn't freak me out. Crazy how we react to some things and not others. Then again, we were hand-galloping my guy and a race horse yesterday and my guy spooked under me because a bird flew up under his nose in the field and I was fine. So, I think we are in a much better place.

Yes, a horse you can trust and time in the saddle on that horse. And a trainer you can trust. I am so lucky to have a trainer with so many horses I can hop on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks Chi. Hopefully whatever bucking instinct is genetic will be diluted out enough in her babies.

Chantal - I'm glad you were able to get your confidence back so quickly, and it sounds like you're in a good spot now. I just thought I would add that wearing a protective vest can provide a dose of courage as well. I've used one when I know I need to pull on my big girl pants and ride more boldly knowing that it won't hurt quite so much if I do hit the ground (not that I make a habit of it, I think I've only fallen twice as an adult).
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Since my unplanned dismount and injury, I've been mulling over whether or not to get a vest. It might have spared my back/pelvis some injury had I been wearing one I suppose. I've also been mulling over sending Tio off to a cowboy for some "training" in February with my friend's horse. I really just want him to ride him out in his pastures and in the hills and send him forward, which is what this guy is known for. Might be good for T. I have ridden rudy since getting hurt with zero trepidation and I really want to hop back on Tio, so I don't think I've lost confidence in myself, my ability to ride/train or in my horses. Sending Tio to this guy has been on my mind for a couple of years, my friend brought it up because her horse keeps lawn darting her and she's sending him there in Feb and offered to take Tio too.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:20 pm

StraightForward wrote:I just thought I would add that wearing a protective vest can provide a dose of courage as well.

I wore my crash vest daily last winter, and now on potentially “fun” days with Maia. Most of the time I’m left rolling my eyes at myself for wearing it — particularly during the summer heat. Occasionally (e.g. during a ride a few weeks ago every canter depart needed a bucking fit, and every down transition was punctuated with a rear), I’m very glad it’s there, even though I haven’t physically benefited from the extra protection.

I also do a few minutes of in-hand work before every ride to figure out what head space Maia is in. She’s generally fine, but there are really hot days. At this point, I still prefer to know before my ass hits the saddle.

Sorry to hear you came off Chantal, but your trainer sounds perfect. Can I ask who you’re working with? I’m not shopping for a new instructor at the moment, but I’m in MD too.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:09 pm

This is a good thread. It shows a lot of individual differences and the different possibilities that exist.

I think it is great that Chantal’s trainer has so many different horses for her to ride. Since she has a youngster, and a big one at that, it can require a lot of different riding abilities. Being able to ride so many different horses, including galloping outside, is such good preparation for the sometimes unexpected antics of an athletic young horse. And honestly, geldings seem to me to be much more ready to supply the antics! I’ve never had a “playful” mare, but I’ve had several playful geldings, two of them chestnut! The stuff they came up with wasn’t naughty in any way, but man they could play hard. One red TB gelding I had, loved to go on trail rides with my Weimeraner. The weim was also a playful young boy and the two would play off each other. It was amusing 35 years ago...

If I was riding young or otherwise questionable horses, I would definitely get a vest. I’d probably even get one of the air vests that hooks to the saddle and inflates when you come off. I think that could prevent broken ribs. Some of them even cover the tailbone.

At 65, I only need to be confident on my own little pony and my trainer’s horse. I am feeling pretty good about both of them.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Sue B wrote:Since my unplanned dismount and injury, I've been mulling over whether or not to get a vest. It might have spared my back/pelvis some injury had I been wearing one I suppose.

Get one! :)
I have an airvest when I need it

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:14 pm

I've always had the worry that if I got an airvest, I'd be a doofus and forget to unclip it when I got off and then the whole shebang would go le BANG and then I'd really have a situation on my hands.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:13 pm

With the air bag vest, I wondered if the hiss of the inflation might scare an already scared horse and he might kick at the sound and kick the rider. Horses are so freaking quick and athletic.

Return to “Dressage Training”