Safe Sport

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Safe Sport

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:33 pm

I was not sure if to put this here or on the Observation lounge, but if you are going to show in 2019 you have to do the Safe Sport training on the USEF page. I did not get it finished because it was so slow loading and eventually booted me off, so perhaps its not up to the traffic at this point.

Just a heads up to get it done

blob

Re: Safe Sport

Postby blob » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:39 pm

Oh, wow, I didn't know this, thanks for the head's up

MysticOak
Greenie

Postby MysticOak » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Oh boy, I had SO MANY problems with SafeSport. As far as I can tell, whoever created that series of training modules did not compress the video, so it is going to require VERY FAST internet speeds. It took me an ENTIRE DAY to get through the 3 modules, with hours of buffering video. I emailed SafeSport AND USEF about this issue, and was basically told to get new internet, Seriously. That was helpful.

I guess they have not heard of the digital divide, and do not realize that many horse owners live in rural areas where fiberoptic DSL is just not an option... I called ATT last year and asked when they'd have DSL service to my community, and they told me "not in your lifetime". :shock:

On the "other board", I was mocked and harassed for this discussion. And told to go to the library or to Starbucks. Again, no concept of rural life - our local library is only open 11-4 four days/week, and limits internet users to 30 minute sessions. The main library (in the county seat) is open 9 - 5 Mon-Fri, same 30 minute limit. So I would have to take several days off work to complete the 3 sessions (they take about 45 minutes to an hour each if you have fast enough internet). There is no Starbucks - THEY stick with populated areas, selling 3 coffees daily is not worth opening a store. Not unless the cattle start drinking coffee... So I spent an entire day buffering the videos.

BTW, I have no contact with youth - not in a training barn, and I don't stable at shows (too expensive here!!!), so it really was a sadly wasted day. All the kids here are in full training, stable at the shows, they aren't out in the parking lot showing with the poor AA riders :lol:

So that may be what you are dealing with - what is your bandwidth speed? Another hint - try different browsers. Apparently SafeSport only supports a few specific browsers. It crashed my computer multiple times until I switched to Firefox, then it was slow, but the computer stopped crashing.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:25 pm

MysticOak wrote:Oh boy, I had SO MANY problems with SafeSport. As far as I can tell, whoever created that series of training modules did not compress the video, so it is going to require VERY FAST internet speeds. It took me an ENTIRE DAY to get through the 3 modules, with hours of buffering video. I emailed SafeSport AND USEF about this issue, and was basically told to get new internet, Seriously. That was helpful.

I guess they have not heard of the digital divide, and do not realize that many horse owners live in rural areas where fiberoptic DSL is just not an option... I called ATT last year and asked when they'd have DSL service to my community, and they told me "not in your lifetime". :shock:

On the "other board", I was mocked and harassed for this discussion. And told to go to the library or to Starbucks. Again, no concept of rural life - our local library is only open 11-4 four days/week, and limits internet users to 30 minute sessions. The main library (in the county seat) is open 9 - 5 Mon-Fri, same 30 minute limit. So I would have to take several days off work to complete the 3 sessions (they take about 45 minutes to an hour each if you have fast enough internet). There is no Starbucks - THEY stick with populated areas, selling 3 coffees daily is not worth opening a store. Not unless the cattle start drinking coffee... So I spent an entire day buffering the videos.

BTW, I have no contact with youth - not in a training barn, and I don't stable at shows (too expensive here!!!), so it really was a sadly wasted day. All the kids here are in full training, stable at the shows, they aren't out in the parking lot showing with the poor AA riders :lol:

So that may be what you are dealing with - what is your bandwidth speed? Another hint - try different browsers. Apparently SafeSport only supports a few specific browsers. It crashed my computer multiple times until I switched to Firefox, then it was slow, but the computer stopped crashing.

I did not have as much trouble as you, but I agree, it is overly slow and cumbersome and does rely on the theory that everyone has access to very good internet.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm

I imagine this will end up being a headache for show organizers when entries start coming in all year without people knowing they needed to do this. Doing it now is one thing, but finding out last minute and needing to finish up before a show will be a real hassle.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Mystic oak you can read a transcript of the videos

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I need to start thinking about this if I want to start showing next year.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Chisamba wrote:Mystic oak you can read a transcript of the videos

You have to actually also finish the video before it'll let you move on to the new section. So reading transcript option is there, but doesn't help speed you along if you have slow internet. I was hoping to cheat by reading and being done faster that way, but nope the whole video has to play through.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:19 am

blob wrote:

You have to actually also finish the video before it'll let you move on to the new section. So reading transcript option is there, but doesn't help speed you along if you have slow internet. I was hoping to cheat by reading and being done faster that way, but nope the whole video has to play through.

I suppose you could just leave it running and come back when it's finished? I don't like watching those kinds of videos because they tend to belabor every point, so would much rather read the transcript and move along.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:26 am

If someone is not a USEF/USDF member, chooses to show and pay the non-member fees, can they do it without taking this training?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:19 pm

blob wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself. Reading a transcript versus not viewing a video should not be considered cheating. Signing that you did one or the other without having done so is cheating.

What's in the video?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:09 pm

musical comedy wrote:If someone is not a USEF/USDF member, chooses to show and pay the non-member fees, can they do it without taking this training?

Pretty sure you still have to take it.

I take so many of these kinds of things at work ever year, one more is just... :? :roll: :|
Keep calm and canter on.

MysticOak
Greenie

Postby MysticOak » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I tried that and can tell you from actual experience that it will NOT let you complete the module or advance without actually watching the video. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING to avoid those horrible videos. Living in a rural area has its issues... And USEF doesn't acknowledge that a lot of its members DO live in rural areas. :shock:

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:07 pm

This is an attempt to remedy the systemic issues that US Olympic athletes (among others) have faced from the Larry Nassers of the world. More cynically, I see it as a way the USOC can get some immunity from prosecution in the future.

However, if it helps prevent a Nasser-type person from gaining a foothold, then I'll suck it up and watch the 90min of vids because honestly it's not that much of an imposition.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:59 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:This is an attempt to remedy the systemic issues that US Olympic athletes (among others) have faced from the Larry Nassers of the world. More cynically, I see it as a way the USOC can get some immunity from prosecution in the future.

However, if it helps prevent a Nasser-type person from gaining a foothold, then I'll suck it up and watch the 90min of vids because honestly it's not that much of an imposition.

Agreed. It's not that relevant to me or the way my sport functions (at least for me), but I'm glad something is being done to protect kids in general.

My only real complaints is that I don't think USDF/USEF have done a particularly good job of making people aware they need to take this by Jan 1 if they want to compete in 2019. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen this thread. And all the riding friends I've brought it up to also didn't know. If they made it a requirement in order to renew membership, people would find out easily within a year's span. But I renewed my membership in sept, so if I hadn't seen this thread, I could have easily missed the deadline without knowing and ended up not being able to show. That would have sucked.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:10 am

MysticOak wrote:

I tried that and can tell you from actual experience that it will NOT let you complete the module or advance without actually watching the video. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING to avoid those horrible videos. Living in a rural area has its issues... And USEF doesn't acknowledge that a lot of its members DO live in rural areas. :shock:

It's not USEF, safe sport simply sell their module to various institutions,

MysticOak
Greenie

Postby MysticOak » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:34 pm

I am really not sure this will help kids - what WILL help kids is training for KIDS and their PARENTS! Did anyone watch the interviews of the Olympic kids who were molested? 60 Minutes devoted an episode to it - well worth the watch (although I say that about almost all the 60 Minute episodes, love that program). Every single one said "if I had known..."... That was heartbreaking. I think a module should be mandatory for all Jr/YRs and their parents, and should be mandatory every year for them. Sadly, there was no training for that group - the training is for Adult competitors. Not parents, not kids.

I am NOT opposed to this training in concept, but I believe they did it wrong. It was rolled out in a knee-jerk, not-well-through-through reaction - most likely so SafeSport could "get the contract" for the training. I think whoever created it should have made a no-video option available, or at least compressed the video so it would work on slow-speed internet. I also believe they should have made it compatible with multiple browsers. And - I believe the more important target audience (kids and their parents) should have been served first.

It is time to acknowledge the digital divide that exists in the country - many of us have slow internet and can not stream video, or can only stream compressed (lower bandwidth needed) video. I have several friends who have NO internet access at all. Cell phone 3g, 4g, etc - not available here. Slow internet is very expensive. And it is an issue in many rural communities in the US - a huge issue not just for SafeSport, but for many educational events.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:39 am

I did the training and I think it will help going forward. I don't think it will deter people from being bullies or predators, but it will make us as parents and competitors more aware of these people and their methods so we can avoid them or get rid of them.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:30 pm

blob wrote:My only real complaints is that I don't think USDF/USEF have done a particularly good job of making people aware they need to take this by Jan 1 if they want to compete in 2019.

Wait....is this true?

I have no idea if I will show in 2019 or not. I won't even renew my memberships until I decide to show. I thought you just had to complete it before you showed (which I would be happy to do, if I decide to show!) Can you complete it as a not-current member? (I don't want to pay memberships if I'm not going to show!)

That doesn't even make sense, having to finish it by Jan 1 to show at all next year. What happens if someone gets into the business in May and wants to show in August?

I appreciate what they're trying to do, but I wish they would realize how slowly information moves to those of us out in the boondocks.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:15 pm

I was concerned about the same thing Kelo because I'm not sure if I'll compete next year or not so I went to see if there was any info. This is from the USEF website:

"A 30 day grace period to complete the SafeSport training will be provided to all members who renew or join on or after December 1, 2018. Members joining prior to December 1, 2018 will have until January 1, 2019 to complete the training. Those who do not complete the training within the grace period will be ineligble to participate in USEF activities, including competitions."

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:33 pm

I've completed mine today. I had no problems on Chrome. Not everything was intuitive as far as what to click on, but overall, I think they did a nice job.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Imperini wrote:I was concerned about the same thing Kelo because I'm not sure if I'll compete next year or not so I went to see if there was any info. This is from the USEF website:

"A 30 day grace period to complete the SafeSport training will be provided to all members who renew or join on or after December 1, 2018. Members joining prior to December 1, 2018 will have until January 1, 2019 to complete the training. Those who do not complete the training within the grace period will be ineligble to participate in USEF activities, including competitions."

I have a hard time believing if you go to a show with valid certification, they are going to back check if you dud it within 30 days.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:52 pm

Imperini wrote:"A 30 day grace period to complete the SafeSport training will be provided to all members who renew or join on or after December 1, 2018. Members joining prior to December 1, 2018 will have until January 1, 2019 to complete the training. Those who do not complete the training within the grace period will be ineligble to participate in USEF activities, including competitions."

Good Grief... this doesn't even make logical sense... Who comes up with this stuff?

So, if I do it now, because I am currently a member, but don't decide whether I'm showing and therefore renewing my membership until say, May, does that mean I'm covered when I rejoin or will I have to do it again?

It would have been pretty easy for them to say "do it before you show" I would have thought?

MysticOak
Greenie

Postby MysticOak » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Good Grief... this doesn't even make logical sense... Who comes up with this stuff?

It would have been pretty easy for them to say "do it before you show" I would have thought?

Legaleeze and rules - NEVER state things in a simple, understandable way. Common sense, basic communication skills get thrown out the window...

I feel sorry for show managers/secretaries who are going to be sorting this out soon! BTW, do we have to include the certificates with our show entries? Who is going to remember that for the first few shows of the year? My show entries now require extra postage - for vaccine records, copies of show cards, pony card, show entry and extra release of liability (some of our show venues require a separate release), etc... It just gets harder and harder to show, which may explain why fewer and fewer people do it...
Last edited by MysticOak on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 pm

i did not print up my certificates, but i think i am going to go back and do that, to include in my horse health package.

Return to “Dressage Training”