The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I do not really agree with going no stirrup, i think its hard on the horses back, but I do drop my stirrups for a while each day in November. I will say that i decided yesterday, if i was really going to work on anything,i should go bareback as it makes balance even more important, so i will do one bareback ride each day for november instead. I did one yesterday, everything, walk, trot canter, lateral et al.

Kimba successfully did one flying change, and i stopped and rewarded. She is not liking the idea much, i think she is sure that i spent way to look telling her to stay in the counter canter.

Ti has a lot of difficulty being supple so i am backing off constancy, and working on suppleness with the idea that a more supple horse will stay consistent more easily

Flight

Re: The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby Flight » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Blob - I hope you find out what was up, or at least it doesn't happen again. That stuff is a bit scary.
Exvet - looking good! Congrats.
Greenholmes -glad you've found something you are really enjoying doing. I remember how stressed the dressage would make you feel at times. You may end up doing working equitation one day!
Dresseur - I don't think I've seen many OTTBs move as nicely as that. Well done, he looks really good.

I put in an application to ride at Equitana - which is like Australia's 4 day horsey expo, with Pedro Torres. I got an invite to try out for a spot but the logistics in getting there (its an 8 hr float trip) and finding somewhere for Ding to stay if I don't get a spot is proving a bit hard. Plus I FB snooped at some of the other riders trying out and some are dressage coaches and look to be amazing riders with beautiful horses! So, I'm thinking I'm going to pass up on the chance. YOu do get a 45 min lesson with Pedro and he does want to ride the horses, but it's a long way to go for that!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Well I finally gave in and went to the doctor today about the foot and ankle Laddie jumped all over 3 weeks ago, and ended up having a rather gnarly looking lump drained... ewww. So I'm sitting here with my leg up, with a compression wrap on and I'm banned from riding for a couple of days. My new doctor turns out to be a horseman so if he says no riding, then I have to believe him...

As far as the clinic reporting goes, there's really no magic new and different things, I just come out a better and more thinking rider than I went in. We worked a lot on simple basic concepts--getting an even contact and developing even bend through the ribcage, which I have mentioned before has been an issue. The big thing for Mette is that we should understand why we are doing what we are doing and be able to think it through and apply it independently rather than just doing what we are told because she says so.

She has me riding with a much quieter and more solid inside rein--"imagine that the horse is wearing no bridle, and that you must keep the bit steadily in the corner of the mouth without dropping it or pulling on it." When combined with a living, elastic contact on the outside, this makes steering and bending using the outside aids really rather obvious... (I'm chaffing at sitting here with my darned foot up as I want to go play with this on my own.) And from that we developed the SI, travers and the half pass at trot and canter--first time we've done anything with the canter HP, so that was fun.

We also worked on collecting the canter on a circle. No rocket science, just reiterating the basics of even bend, contact, activating the hind legs, developing jump and adjustability, and emphasizing the importance of adjustability in the successful development of the changes.

So, nothing exciting, except that it was, because I was able to actually do it :)

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 am

Chisamba wrote:I do not really agree with going no stirrup, i think its hard on the horses back, but I do drop my stirrups for a while each day in November. I will say that i decided yesterday, if i was really going to work on anything,i should go bareback as it makes balance even more important, so i will do one bareback ride each day for november instead. I did one yesterday, everything, walk, trot canter, lateral et al.
Fwiw, here is an article that talks about a study done by Dr. Clayton. It showed that riding bareback is in fact hard on a horse's back, especially if done frequently. I don't know the effect of riding in a saddle w/o stirrups, but it would seem to me that because the saddle distributes weight more evenly, it would be better on the horse's back than riding bareback.
https://ker.com/equinews/bareback-ridin ... ble-horse/

demi

Postby demi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:16 am

I’m up to 8 minutes of trot with Rocky. Not all at once, but a couple minutes at a time. She is more on the forehand than before, and was for the whole ride. I wasn’t pushing to get her off the forehand, but allowed it because she has only been trotting for a week or so.

During the last two months of just walking, she has seemed like she is understanding the connection more. She has consistently been feeling like she would give me a lengthening. So today I asked. It is just the beginnings but she definitely knew what I wanted. I only asked for a few strides and when I asked her to come back she did in just one stride. I only asked for one lengthening, and wont ask again until the end of December which will be 4 months after the injury. Even then, I will continue slowly. I have my trainer’s school horse to lesson on weekly, so I am thinking I won't take Rocky back for lessons until March. That will give her a full 6 months of rehab.

These are screenshots from the video i took with the Soloshot3. The first is the regular trot and the second is the lengthening. I really like being able to video!!

932A609B-A8F9-4AB8-A0CD-FF62A32C0D19.png
932A609B-A8F9-4AB8-A0CD-FF62A32C0D19.png (129.6 KiB) Viewed 19824 times
2E1466E2-3FAD-4428-BB2E-0F1B99EEF372.png
2E1466E2-3FAD-4428-BB2E-0F1B99EEF372.png (128.25 KiB) Viewed 19824 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:35 am

musical comedy wrote:
Chisamba wrote:I do not really agree with going no stirrup, i think its hard on the horses back, but I do drop my stirrups for a while each day in November. I will say that i decided yesterday, if i was really going to work on anything,i should go bareback as it makes balance even more important, so i will do one bareback ride each day for november instead. I did one yesterday, everything, walk, trot canter, lateral et al.
Fwiw, here is an article that talks about a study done by Dr. Clayton. It showed that riding bareback is in fact hard on a horse's back, especially if done frequently. I don't know the effect of riding in a saddle w/o stirrups, but it would seem to me that because the saddle distributes weight more evenly, it would be better on the horse's back than riding bareback.
https://ker.com/equinews/bareback-ridin ... ble-horse/

Yes it is , but there are a few quid pro quos. Firstly bareback if I do something that causes the back to stiffen I can feel it immediately, so its easier to self correct.

Secondly, I fortunately have nine horses that I ride each week so I can mitigate the circumstances.

I suppose I could just as easily do that with stirrups but its easier to hop on bareback than it is to take stirrups on and off a different saddle every day.

So in my opinion, riding each horse bare back twice a month differs from taking the stirrups off all saddles for a month. Or maybe in I will wear the saddle but no girth.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:43 am

A couple of fuzzy pictures my friend just sent me from the clinic. This indoor is a black hole, so forgive the quality.

I'm pretty stoked with that right hind in the canter shot.

laddie Nov 18 canter.jpg
laddie Nov 18 canter.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 19798 times

laddie Nov 18 trot.jpg
laddie Nov 18 trot.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 19798 times

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:34 am

I am continuing the goals of the last two months.

For both of us, ride a couple times a week.

I had a nice ride today with some more trot sets. Short ones which then ups the number of transitions we do which is good.
They were prompt and connected. One circle she did want to bear down a bit but I just lifted the outside rein and she quit that. I did an interesting exercise that quickly revealed issues with straightness. I did leg yield (in walk), halt, rein back 5 steps then straight forward and immediately back into LY. If she got the least bit crooked it was really evident. Remarkably, for the most part she was very straight. One reinback she dribbled out her weaker right hind but otherwise stayed very straight. For our lateral work (again at walk) we did SI -->10m circle-->HI each way then SI-->renver-->SI and that was quite nice. She kept her body alignment with only changing the bend in the neck. Finished up with leg yield 3-4 steps off the rail into SI and immediately into half pass back to the rail. We can fit quite a bit into a 30 minute walk session :D .

For me...continue working with the personal trainer. Unfortunately, I had a sneezing fit the other day and the back/leg has been less happy since. Nothing like when I first injured it and all the exercise I am doing is core work which is sorely needed. Riding didn't make anything worse today so I just need to keep toiling away. I have gotten so gun shy that if anything hurts I just back off and that certainly hasn't gotten me anywhere so I have to keep working at it.

Kyra gets a visit from the vet on Thursday. I was doing housekeeping in her pen and cleaning out her feeder when I noticed what looked like a rock on the mat. I picked it up and it wasn't a rock but a nice big shard of tooth :o . All I was able to ascertain by looking in her mouth without a speculum was where it came from. She isn't having any problems eating but I don't know if the root was compromised. So some happy juice and a speculum and the vet/dentist to see if else anything needs to be done.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Moutaineer wrote:A couple of fuzzy pictures my friend just sent me from the clinic. This indoor is a black hole, so forgive the quality.

I'm pretty stoked with that right hind in the canter shot.

Nice! I'd be happy with that too

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:52 pm

As would I!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Nice pics Moutaineer. Laddie is looking great!

I am having a pity party for myself right now. Annabelle was ordered 3 more weeks of stall rest + Previcox. We were given some other options, but my bank account was not feeling super game for that right now. We'll do more exploration if needed when we go back at the end of the month.

I also brought Obie to the vet because they were interested in using him for a trial on an arthritis treatment that is in the FDA approval process. Good for him, he was only a 1/5, and needed to be a 2/5. He was moving out really nicely on the lunge at the clinic and it just made me depressed all over about what a wasted talent he is.

So the rest of the month will be focusing on getting myself in shape and doing a little more formal groundwork with baby. Even if Annabelle is cleared to work at the end of the month, she'll need a few weeks to come back up to speed, so it looks like this 8-week period is toast for us. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm so sorry SF... that sucks.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:54 pm

:( bummer

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Oh, boo, SF. I'm sorry about Annabelle.

Obie doesn't know his talent is wasted. He's probably pretty happy living his life.

Susan, I hope Kyra's mouth is OK! Really, they do go about finding ways to freak us out...

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:05 am

Yes, bummer about Annabelle SF. Sorry to hear this.
Demi, glad your solsohot is going well too. Mine is a bit naughty somedays but yesterday it worked even in the rain. Rocky is looking good, especially given the light work she is in.
So is Laddie, Moutaineer! I like that about the contact/bit.
Susan hope your back/leg gets better sounds like you are doing some good riding stuff. I know with my knee when it was bad, it makes you avoid doing thing that will cause pain. You can't always just 'push through' it. Let us know how her tooth is!

I wont ride bareback, cause I'll fall off. But I did watch at a dressage clinic a girl riding bareback and no bridle and that's how she rides all the time. It was fascinating how you could see the responses in the horse and what she did with her posture/seat.

Here is some vid of us still chipping away at pirouettes. He is built quite straight behind, so I'm not sure we will ever get much 'sit'. He finds it so much harder to the left (he is stiffer to the left), is this because the left hind is stiffer so can't flex under enough, or is it the right hind that is weaker that makes it harder for him?
Also I've realised we need to be much straighter in our changes, especially after, if I ever want to do good tempi changes. So, I've been doing them at the camera so I can work out what I need to do.

https://youtu.be/XhstOhwcyeE

khall

Postby khall » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:57 am

Flight I would think the difficulties with the left CP would be from weak RH. I've always considered the outside hind is the collecting hind leg. Looking good though. Is Ding swinging in the changes because of the aids, not forward enough, are you having trouble riding a line and doing changes? He swung a bit with the hind legs (swinging the haunches) but at one point kind of went sideways even more. Does it help to have the new inside leg on to hold him a bit? Are you riding to a point and making it a point to do so? Do they swing sideways when not collected enough? I've always heard go forward to straighten the changes. Right now with Rip I would take anything! it just does not compute with him. Cedar had to throw him out of balance to get even an effort.

Sorry SF that Annabelle is still on the disabled list. Damn horses are enough to drive us to drink or go crazy. With Joplin my vet injected the tendon sheath because of the synovitis he found and he had me do a week of equiox along with 2 weeks of stall rest/hand walking. I took her back today and he was thrilled. She is sound with clean US and no swelling. She has the all clear both for pasture TO and work though I am to keep her on big circles and straight lines no tight turns. Easy enough to do, my arena is 80X200. Except we are supposed to get rain/storms through Friday:( Had a heck of a storm move through this evening during chore time, spun off a tornado just north of our farm downing trees and power lines. I was not surprised watching it come through. I was out hurrying to bring some hay to the barn from hay barn watching some threatening clouds roll over us and nasty lightning. I don't want to speak of what my vet bills have been with Joplin between the bruised coffin bone issue before the clinic and now the "sprained ankle" as my vet said. US, radiographs, injections, multiple lameness exams, blocking, sedation, medication (Gastro guard with her being stabled, yikes that stuff is expensive!). I should recoup some from this latest visit since she does have MM, but not sure how much.

Rode Rip again with the shorter reins the other day (no riding yesterday or today being gone) and really feel like it will be the answer with his medium trot. I can feel how the shorter reins help him to elevate the front end even better. When I was asking for medium trot he kept stepping into the canter which is something he rarely rarely does. It is also making him easier to sit on. Got off and looked at his sweat patterns (yes we are still sweating here!) even with his clip he was sweating specifically in a triangular area from his withers along the neck, about 6-8 inches. I found that interesting and a bit unusual area for him to sweat. Not sure how much I will get to ride until the weekend with our weather/storms. Don't have a covered, with these storms would not ride even under a cover anyway. I'm hoping the shorter reins will help with changes too. We will see. Want to get some video of him going with shorter reins to see if what I am feeling is as positive as I think it is.
Last edited by khall on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 am

Yes, I think it might be the weaker right hind too. I really need to read more theory about this stuff now!
Ding is usually a bit too forward for the changes and tends to run faster and faster as we go. He does swing his haunches. I need to refine it. We've been practising single changes staying straight, and the vid I just wanted to see how bad it was aiming straight at the camera. It's still hard to feel it properly -my inexperience. Hopefully in a little while I can compare and it will be straighter! (fingers crossed).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Flight wrote:Yes, I think it might be the weaker right hind too. I really need to read more theory about this stuff now!
Ding is usually a bit too forward for the changes and tends to run faster and faster as we go. He does swing his haunches. I need to refine it. We've been practising single changes staying straight, and the vid I just wanted to see how bad it was aiming straight at the camera. It's still hard to feel it properly -my inexperience. Hopefully in a little while I can compare and it will be straighter! (fingers crossed).

First let me say you should be very happy that you have brought him this far, he is responding well to the aids and is progressing in a way that should make you feel that you are working together well,

An hopefully helpful observation, i believe that he is evading through the back via the outside rein, in the piri, watch for the up and down head and neck movement and the head tipping to the outside , when he starts being very up and down in the neck, he is neither uphill and out, nor on the bit, but using his neck to balance because he is not coming through the back. I do not think its a strength thing, i think its balance and elasticity through the back. I think you need to show him how to remain through the back and in balance to improve the wonderful work you have already done.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Chisamba I've always held the belief that when a horse resists in the contact during exercises it is a strength issue and a balance issue. Balance comes from strength IMO. Takes time to build that strength.

Two ways I have seen and done work on CPs is in CC renvere off the rail and using the corners of the arena to help with the CP approach the corner in CC renvere and in each corner CP. The walls of the arena help to collect the horse, the renvere helps the engagement and stregthens the collecting outside hind leg. It is a difficult exercise and quite taxing.

HI on a circle to activate and engage the outside hind leg, spiral down in HI to CP. The bend helps prevent the rein resistance.

Regardless Ding has come a long way due to your training Flight. You've learned so much with him, great job.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:59 pm

khall wrote:Sorry SF that Annabelle is still on the disabled list. Damn horses are enough to drive us to drink or go crazy. With Joplin my vet injected the tendon sheath because of the synovitis he found and he had me do a week of equiox along with 2 weeks of stall rest/hand walking. I took her back today and he was thrilled. She is sound with clean US and no swelling. She has the all clear both for pasture TO and work though I am to keep her on big circles and straight lines no tight turns. Easy enough to do, my arena is 80X200. Except we are supposed to get rain/storms through Friday:( Had a heck of a storm move through this evening during chore time, spun off a tornado just north of our farm downing trees and power lines. I was not surprised watching it come through. I was out hurrying to bring some hay to the barn from hay barn watching some threatening clouds roll over us and nasty lightning. I don't want to speak of what my vet bills have been with Joplin between the bruised coffin bone issue before the clinic and now the "sprained ankle" as my vet said. US, radiographs, injections, multiple lameness exams, blocking, sedation, medication (Gastro guard with her being stabled, yikes that stuff is expensive!). I should recoup some from this latest visit since she does have MM, but not sure how much.

Did they inject her with PHP (I think that was the acronym)? My vet offered that, but it seemed to be a somewhat literal stab in the dark and I don't know anything about it, so wanted to at least look into it more. He blocked the fetlock yesterday and she was better, but still NQR. It's difficult with her because her SI issues make her stiff and she moves funky at the beginning of each workout, but he did say he was seeing uneven fetlock drop between the two legs. I ordered SmartPak's Rehab Pellets (mostly silica and collagen) and some turmeric last night. Might not do anything, but I figure $60 is nothing compared to any single thing the vet might offer, and won't hurt anyway.

Have you read the Nexium thread on CotH? It seems like a cheap alternative to Ulcerguard if you are just looking for an ounce of prevention. 3 pills a day of the generic from CostCo comes out to $1/day. That's what I used for a week around taking Annabelle off property overnight when I showed her last month.
Keep calm and canter on.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Flight, here's some advice to take or leave... If it was me, or if Andrea was telling me what to do, she would say go back to larger working piris and make sure that you keep the haunches well in and keep the rhythm. You should, in those larger working piris, be able to push it closer to a medium and bring it back, without losing the haunches or the rhythm - it should be smooth in and out of those gear changes. When you can get that, then you can go smaller.
Basically, if you take stills, his outside leg isn't carrying weight the way that it should for a piri, which is also why he's able to pop up.

For the changes- put them up against the wall, especially whatever side he swings the most on. He's not swinging that badly, and I think that putting them on the wall can clean them up without you having to go to the hand too much. Also make sure that you can do canter, canter on the spot back to canter to test your collection for the changes.
Last edited by Dresseur on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:33 pm

SF I don't know what the vet injected in the tendon sheath. My recollection is he said it was a steroid but don't quote me on it. Cost for the injection was $155, won't tell you what the rest cost! Thanks for the heads up on Nexium, have not read anything on COTH much lately so had not seen it. Will ask my vet and see what she says about it. Though now Joplin is back on her regularly scheduled TO and work (when weather co-operates) so I think she should be ok. Gaila is the one I most worry about. She has scoped with some level of gastric ulcers every time she has been scoped, why she is on Alfa-Lox by Triple Crown now.

He was targeting the synovitis in the tendon sheath. He said we had caught it early because there was no floaters or threads in the fluid (which was good!) Joplin had firm swelling in the DDFTS. Swelling is gone now. TO with chemical assistance for her and Rip though Rip decided to be a jerk and re establish his dominance by going after her a bit, chasing her with teeth bared. It is wet and raining and he fell down the doofus. Hopefully that is all the fire works. Thank dog for the grass, that is all Joplin is interested in.
Last edited by khall on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Mountaineer--so glad the clinic was productive and successful. Hopefully your ankle is doing better and you'll be able to ride soon. It's so frustrating to be eager to work on something and being tied up.
SF--I'm so sorry to hear the news about Annabelle. If only our horses could just stay healthy. Are you still being able to ride others while she heals?
Flight--Ding looks lovely! And your work seems to be really coming along. I'm so impressed with your quick flying change progress. Our progression has been no where near as smooth or quick! Also, what an exciting opportunity to ride with Pedro Torres. But I understand the hassle of the travel being too much.

The weather here has been rubbish--lots of all day rain (not necessarily very hard, but no time for anything to dry out). The barn I board at luckily has a covered, but when the weather gets really bad, often the covered can get crowded and hard to do real work in. It's the arena that has all the jumps set up in it, so even just a handful of riders can limit what you can do. I also have not really felt 100% since the fall. The inside of my left thigh and knee are pretty bruised up and so is the right side of my butt. I have other areas with pain, but those are the two that really impact saddle time.

So, between the rain and my bruising MM has gotten some time off and some lunging days. The last few rides I did have on her, I was losing her back some. Because of her build she can often get away with "performing" what needs to be done without really engaging her lower back. So, I think the lunging work was too our benefit.

I did really want to make sure I was able to do some work with RP this week despite the bruising. He is a worrier by nature and I did not want our bad incident to stick around in his head for too long. He's also had a few lunging days paired with some very, very light riding time. The riding has been ok. The first day I got back on, mounting up seemed to go ok, but he was very, very tense the whole ride (just walking). He had a few moments of relaxation, but they didn't last. The second time (just walk, trot) was about the same. The third time (yesterday) I mounted up ok again, but then when I went to walk, I felt his back bunch up again like it did when I came off. But luckily it did not escalate into broncs. I had some ok walk, trot, canter, but he snorted nearly the whole time. At this point it's hard for me to tell if whatever caused his panic last weekend is a lingering issue. Or if he's distressed/slightly traumatized from the panic and me coming off.

I have 10 days left before I head out of the country for 2.5 weeks. I'd like to get RP back to a relaxed place before I go. Even if it's just that we go back to walking around nice and relaxed. Originally I was going to have someone ride him while I was gone. But after last weekend, I don't feel comfortable having anyone else get on him. So, he'll get the time off. I think if I can leave on a good/relaxed note the time time off might end up being good. Give him some time to gain weight without work, give his muscles a chance to rest/relax. And when I come back I think I need to really investigate to see if there are trigger points/causes.

For MM, I'd like to have a good solid week of work with her before I head out. The plan was always to give her the time off because she's worked hard the last few months and she does well with vacations--usually comes back ready and eager for work. Would love to do some good flying change work before her break. Our change right to left is pretty reliable, the one left to right can be a challenge. When I have it, it's a probably the better of the two changes in terms of quality. But it's not always there or not always on the aids.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Sorry to hear about Annabelle SF, hope the additional stall rest will do its thing and help her heal up so you can get back to work with her.

Lovely fuzzy pics Mountaineer, Laddie is looking really good.

I don't have anything helpful to add Flight but thanks for sharing your videos. I think you and Ding are a super awesome pair.

Pal had finally adjusted to the dust and dryness here and then she banged her leg and it was puffy for a few days but at last we're coming back to work. I was worried for a time that she wasn't going to be able to handle it here and I would have to move back up north for/with her :lol: In any case we've had a few rides now and they've been mostly good. The arena here is a bit of a spooky one so she has been somewhat tense and she's usually stiffer at the start of a ride anyway, especially now that she doesn't get the 8+ hours of turnout she has always had before but so far she's relaxed by the end of every ride and is going nice and forward. If I can manage to keep the level of responsiveness and forward that she's giving me now then we might actually have a chance at moving up some day.

We're doing more walking due to the lack of turnout and I've realized that I can get her into a nice forward walk quite easily if I just touch her slightly on the same side as her hind leg is coming forward. There was an article I read that described it as "pedaling" which I don't think sounds very nice but it seems to work for us and it's really subtle and just a couple of steps and she easily recognizes that I want more walk. We'll have to get back into regular lessons soon.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Imperini, glad to hear Pal is settling in. I'm sure she'll relax in the new arena soon. It is a big change for her.

khall wrote:SF I don't know what the vet injected in the tendon sheath. My recollection is he said it was a steroid but don't quote me on it. Cost for the injection was $155, won't tell you what the rest cost! Thanks for the heads up on Nexium, have not read anything on COTH much lately so had not seen it. Will ask my vet and see what she says about it.

There is a peer-reviewed journal article linked in the CotH thread showing stomach acid control on low-dose esomeprazole. Your vet might be different, but I find that mine definitely hew to the Merial company line on the Ulcer/Gastroguard. Between Annabelle and Pickle I've spent over $2K on that stuff this year though :shock: It does sound like Joplin got a steroid. The PHP is some sort of biologically-sourced healing aid, majickal serum, so it was going to run about $500 with the sedation, etc. by the time we were done. I got the impression it would go into the joint, not the tendon sheath. At that price, and with the risk of going into a joint, I decided to try a little more tincture of time.

Blob, I can ride Susan's horse, but time and daylight are both in short supply right now, so I probably won't. I have a 2.5 year old that can use the attention anyway.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:41 pm

SF Ah ok yes the biological stuff can get pricey quick! I did IRAP on my older mare in 2016, yikes that was not cheap! Joplin's did not go into the joint but into the sheath itself. The vet I use interned at Rood and Riddle and was a farrier before vet school so he knows lameness! The day he saw Joplin for the injury he had done surgery on a WB both front fetlocks I believe, chip removal. I don't really even question him on treatment for lameness usually. I trust his judgement.

Weather is no fun right now, rain last week, colder this weekend and then cold rain M/T this coming week. Trying to get horses worked, but my arena was pretty wet yesterday when I drug it. No riding in the pasture that is for sure.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:46 am

Chisamba wrote:An hopefully helpful observation, i believe that he is evading through the back via the outside rein, in the piri, watch for the up and down head and neck movement and the head tipping to the outside , when he starts being very up and down in the neck, he is neither uphill and out, nor on the bit, but using his neck to balance because he is not coming through the back. I do not think its a strength thing, i think its balance and elasticity through the back. I think you need to show him how to remain through the back and in balance to improve the wonderful work you have already done.

I agree that he uses his neck/head to lever himself up and is stiff. But interesting that you say it's not just a strength issue. That makes me need to work out how to work him better to get more suppleness and balance, and where my inexperience shines :?
Thanks Dresseur and Khall I will work with those exercises and see if it helps us.

I have decided to go to Equitana to try out. I've got a few people coming with me for the road trip so that makes it more fun and helpful if needed. Just one more nightshift then I'm on leave for 2 weeks, with a couple of clinics to attend after equitana! So much horses!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Flight wrote:
Chisamba wrote:An hopefully helpful observation, i believe that he is evading through the back via the outside rein, in the piri, watch for the up and down head and neck movement and the head tipping to the outside , when he starts being very up and down in the neck, he is neither uphill and out, nor on the bit, but using his neck to balance because he is not coming through the back. I do not think its a strength thing, i think its balance and elasticity through the back. I think you need to show him how to remain through the back and in balance to improve the wonderful work you have already done.

I agree that he uses his neck/head to lever himself up and is stiff. But interesting that you say it's not just a strength issue. That makes me need to work out how to work him better to get more suppleness and balance, and where my inexperience shines :?
Thanks Dresseur and Khall I will work with those exercises and see if it helps us.

I have decided to go to Equitana to try out. I've got a few people coming with me for the road trip so that makes it more fun and helpful if needed. Just one more nightshift then I'm on leave for 2 weeks, with a couple of clinics to attend after equitana! So much horses!

how exciting!!! i hope you have a wonderful time

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:59 pm

Ryeissa - I'm also finding it exceptionally hard this fall to adjust to the darker evenings and the cold. I could have ridden both days this past weekend and didn't ride AT ALL. Just want to hibernate. Of course, this is at odds with my long-term goal of moving Jet up the levels, hopefully to PSG, maybe more. Ugh, the dissonance between my goals and what is actually happening is discouraging.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Yeah.... It hit hard with 5f here last weekend. Gross.

For me I have to ride days that I can drive out to the barn. In one way I have more time. What else do I do when its dark at 5pm? Sheesh. I have a nice indoor which helps.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:44 am

For us it is heavy cold rain here. I was able to get the horses out for about 2 hours just long enough to give everyone's stall a good cleaning and then the heavy rain started again. Have no idea when I will get a chance to ride this week, supposed to do this through Thursday.

I worked Joplin in hand out in the field yesterday (I like to do some WT in hand uphill for her stifles and then do some in hand lateral work. I have never seen her act quite like that. She pitched quite the temper tantrum and tried several times to leave town. Thank goodness she is not very accomplished at this behavior and I was able to keep her with me and remind her that is not acceptable behavior for a good filly to show. She finally settled down and was listening better and our in hand lateral work was good. I've started asking for HI in a draw and she is picking it up nicely now. L easier than R (right shoulder wants to stay R so have to remind her about that) but neither is all that difficult. Her SI and counter SI are very good. Pretty happy with how she ended up. First time I've done so since she got the all clear from the vet.

Was able to lunge and work Rip in hand Saturday and I was pleasantly surprised that he was pretty co-operative! He can be a PIA to lunge. Worked on collection in the canter, medium trot and half steps. Then WIH with SW and some diagnolizing work. I was trying to get the feel of this work that Cedar was doing this last clinic. Was pretty happy with his try. Sitting here listening to it pouring rain. We are going to be one sloppy mess here on the farm with last week's rain and now 4 more days of it.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm in the same boat as many here. Rain, cold and high winds yesterday and since I can't longe I didn't ride. Today is colder but no rain or wind. I'll turn her out and ride later. I want to ride every day now that she is rehabbing but the weather and circumstances prevent it. Oh well, I'll take what I can get and be happy with it. I could board at an indoor if I really wanted to, but the drawbacks out weigh the benefits for me. So it's two steps forward and one steps back. We are making progress even though it is very slow going.

In spite of circumstances, Rocky is a fairly willing and able partner. Aside from her hotter temperament, her sometimes alpha mare personality, and her downhill build, she is a friendly horse, and also physically strong and athletic. Those things are a big plus.

Emma is becoming very friendly and willing but she is not nearly as able as Rocky. She is tempermentally similar to Rocky in being hot, but she has no alpha tendency . In some ways, with her uphill build and long legs, she is built better for dressge than Rocky. She has proven that she can do decent dressage but I think her weak hindquarter conformation means that she has to be built up way more gradually then the average dressage horse. I am only working her 2-3 times a week but that may work out for us, for now. I have an idea of how to build her up but time and circumstances get in my way. She is at least a happy horse now, and we are in a good place to go to work if and when the stars align!

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am

Made it down to Equitana. Had selection ride today, unfortunately Ding didn't make it into the masterclass but will do a working equitation session on Sat. Pretty much what I was expecting. Pedro Torres rode all the horses, we didn't have to do much at all! It was very cool to watch him ride Ding. Holy sh#t I have never seen Ding look so good! He did pirouettes with Ding, like Ding was doing them properly to the right. Here I am thinking the horse can't do them, isn't strong enough etc.. no just isn't ridden properly by me! To the left he has issues, and Pedro told me briefly what he does there to help.
It was worth the long trip down I think. Ding isn't keen on being stuck in a stable though. I try and get him out as much as possible but in an environment like this in a city, it's very different from home. Would never do it again, but glad I had this one opportunity to watch someone like Pedro ride my horse and see what he is capable of.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Wow, Flight! Glad you made the trip safely. I hear you on the challenge of being in a stabled setting. You are probably walking your boots off.

That is super cool that you got to watch Pedro work Ding. That should provide you inspiration and insight for some time to come! For me, watching one's horse go well with a trainer I respect really spurs me on to ask/do more. And I'm glad you are in the WE session. Stay safe and have fun.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Exciting, Flight! What a neat experience-- I'm glad you went.

For us, it's the same story as many above. Rainy/cold weather converged with some sort of flu = I haven't done a whole lot of riding this month so far. Last week we had a couple days in the high 80s/low 90s, and today I woke up and it was 25F. I guess on average it's fall?

Anyway, I finally started feeling better yesterday, and had good rides on both horses. Queso learned how to wear a quartersheet (0 issues) and Kiwi gave some of the softest flying changes we've had in a while. Onward and upward!

kathel
Greenie

Postby kathel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Our goals depend a lot on weather conditions. The roads and the arena surface will freeze in the next few weeks and horses will be given a vacation. Both horses are barefoot, so the weather conditions are even more impressive than those with the shoes.
Lloyd: When he doesn’t understand what I'm asking or finds it difficult to respond because of how I have (or haven’t) set him up, he buck out of frustration. And those bucks are BIG... Before he came to our stable he has learned he has the ability to buck a rider off. He has made a lot of progress, but he is anxious to canter. In his previous life canter was forbidden and that's because he is struggling with that. His brain says canter but his mind says trot. He will canter after a jump, and will canter on his own in the field, but in arena will just trot faster and faster and then maybe will canter for a few strides, then get confused and trots. He canters great on the lunge and understands voice commands halt, walk, trot, canter ( in finnish seis, käynti, ravi, laukka, might sound freeky for you :D ), but ridden there is problem with canter. That is our challenge. I just hope we have a good winter when there is a lot of snow. Then the problem will be resolved by itself, in the snow most horses want to canter.
Cody: After several hoof problems which led us to end up barefoot with him, I would like to bring him back to his own level. He has competed at the 1st level mostly "Easy B" and couple "Easy A"-classes. I don't know what level it is in your country... "Easy B" contains the medium gaits, leg yield in walk and "Easy A" contains medium gaits, extended walk, collected walk, leg yield in trot, shoulder-in in trot, simple change of lead, walk pirouette and countercanter.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Flight, I can't wait to hear more about your working equitation session. I would like to start dabbling in it with my mare, who I think will enjoy the purposefulness of the obstacles as a way to think differently about our dressage work.

Kathel, hope the weather cooperates and helps you get Cody back on track and helps Lloyd get his canter under saddle going. Sounds like "Easy A" is the equivalent of our our Second Level and "Easy B" might be closer to our First Level (though there we have trot leg yields and lengthened gaits rather than true mediums).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Flight wrote:Made it down to Equitana. Had selection ride today, unfortunately Ding didn't make it into the masterclass but will do a working equitation session on Sat. Pretty much what I was expecting. Pedro Torres rode all the horses, we didn't have to do much at all! It was very cool to watch him ride Ding. Holy sh#t I have never seen Ding look so good! He did pirouettes with Ding, like Ding was doing them properly to the right. Here I am thinking the horse can't do them, isn't strong enough etc.. no just isn't ridden properly by me! To the left he has issues, and Pedro told me briefly what he does there to help.
It was worth the long trip down I think. Ding isn't keen on being stuck in a stable though. I try and get him out as much as possible but in an environment like this in a city, it's very different from home. Would never do it again, but glad I had this one opportunity to watch someone like Pedro ride my horse and see what he is capable of.

I wanna say...I told you he was strong enough. But I won't. Oh wait, I said it.
I am joking though. So nice that the long trip was worth your while. It is hard on horses used to turn our to be confined. Hope it continues to be interesting

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:48 pm

On a personal goals note, I took out my winter clothes. They are not very useful. I dont really want to buy more if Texas is warmer. What layers would I realistically need for a Texas winter? Is it worth buying or should I just walk around in a tent?
Attachments
20181115_074520_240x359.jpg
20181115_074520_240x359.jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 19213 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:26 pm

That is a nice problem to have, Chisamba! I can't speak directly to Texas, but I did spend two years in southern New Mexico, and it would occasionally dip into the 20's, but mostly stayed above freezing, so I certainly didn't need or have the arsenal of various winter clothes that I own now as an Idahoan.
Keep calm and canter on.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Sounds like a neat experience Flight, can't wait to hear about the working equitation class.

Wow Chisamba, indeed what a nice problem to have! Like SF I can't speak to Texas but I've found with my move to a warmer climate my wardrobe is approximately 75% winter clothes and 25% summer clothes but it should be pretty much the opposite here. Of course being in the desert there's a pretty big temperature swing between daytime and nighttime when it gets pretty darn cold which I don't think you'd get Texas.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Wow, Chisamba!

I am with khall in suffering through southern winter weather now. For us, that means tons of rain and about 38 F/3 C. I know that doesn't sound too bad to most people! This is probably going to be one of those few weeks where I only ride 4 x and 2 or 3 of them will be walking on the road--because everything else is so soggy.

I did sign up for a December clinic, though, so I must keep on keeping on!

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Poor Annabelle. Thankfully, from what you've said, her prognosis is better than my guy's.

So the stabling saga continues. NONE of the stables in the area that are affordable and have a suitable stall paddock arrangement are available. Strangely, one said, "I'm out of town, back next week, call me then to discuss." So in the meantime, I visited stable to see if it would work and was delighted that they had a pole paddock with roofed stall w.wooden sides put up and the paddock was about 20 x 35 (vet said no pasture, but that a paddock slightly larger than his current 15 x 40 would be okay.) So I figured I was set. 12 miles on the freeway, counter-commute, then two miles of bad road, but WTH, it'll do. Then I get an email, "Sorry, we can't accommodate you." Uh....then what was the "let's talk next week about?" They couldn't tell me when I first emailed? Sigh. I am now wait-listed for the three most workable local stables, including that one. In the interim, bless her, my former instructor has space for him. It's a 40 min. drive away, in commute traffic, so I will probably go perhaps once a week during the week and both weekend days (in my gasoholic truck). But he will have a stall with a decent paddock (If it's available, there's one about the size of his present one, otherwise, probably a 12 X 20 paddock). One of her boarder/students will hand walk him for me. (I don't have sufficient insurance to ask one to ride him! They are some good riders, but he is touchy and you can't get after him when he gets hyped - you have to be VERY CALM and realize when getting off is the better option). The board is about $150 less than I current ly pay, so perhaps that will compensate for the gas, if not the time. Hopefully, by spring something more local will open up.

I realize that in my situation, I have to come to grips with the reality that I have what is basically a semi-retired horse at 14 and that I cannot afford another horse and THIS IS IT for the foreseeable future. One good thing = it's very quiet near her barn and trail access is easy and quite a few of the trails are relatively flat, so if it isn't too rainy a winter, perhaps with a little ACE, he can learn to be a decent trail horse. :roll:

blob

Postby blob » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Chisamba, A nice problem, indeed! I don't think you'll need a lot of winter clothes in TX (depending on where you are)-- some layers of course. But I'm guessing texas winter will be the equivalent of your early fall.

Hot4spots, I don't envy you. Looking for a new barn (no matter what the needs are) is always so difficult. hopefully this place works well even if it is further and that in the spring (or sooner?) you find a closer option.

I'm approaching my trip, so I just have a few more riding days left before the ponies get a couple of weeks off.

RP: I started another thread on the forum about some of the challenges we've been having, so I won't go into too much detail here. But basically since his sudden and unexpected episodes, I've just been taking it easy with him--trying to get him relaxed and comfortable in ground work. When I return from my trip, I'll do some diagnostic work, starting with the dentist and some mouth x-rays and then working our way back. Hoping I can find out what's been going on with him.

My mare has been doing well. I've been trying to remember to keep my reins short (they have a tendency to get long, esp in the double) and to stay quiet but clear in my aids. This past weekend instead of having a lesson, I had my trainer hop on her. He hadn't really ridden her before, so it was good for both of us--for him to feel and for me to see. And I have to say, I was very proud of the little mustang--she was responsive and tried very hard for him. He played around with some stuff what we've been working on --more lift in the medium, flying changes, HP, and half steps. He also played around with some stuff we haven't really played with yet--some early pirouette work--he thinks those will come really easy for her so that was good to hear. It was also good to see that she did her changes well for him. Not perfect, but they were were obedient and all but one was clean. He thinks I've done a good job teaching her the changes (which was good to hear) but that I need to get my timing a lot better so that I can consistently get good ones out of her (homework for me!). I'm also glad that she will get a couple of weeks off. She has worked hard and I'm happy to leave her in a good place for a little vacation.

I'm including a couple pictures (I've chopped off my trainer's head for his own privacy):

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 1.37.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 1.37.45 PM.png (157.43 KiB) Viewed 19167 times

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 1.36.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 1.36.53 PM.png (139.44 KiB) Viewed 19167 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Hot4Spots, that sounds like a good option. I know if I had to move Laddie now I'd be driving 40 minutes to get what I want. Everything more local is either horrible, been built over, or is breathtakingly expensive, or a combination of the three. I think that's going to be the way of the world from now on. Much as I love Laddie and appreciate his skills and general fabulousness, I won't own another horse I can't keep in my back yard. (Laddie is too much of a city boy to live up here on the mountain. Someone would get hurt.)

Chisamba, my vote is for new clothes to show of your svelte new self that you've worked so hard to achieve! Wherever you live you'll probably need a vest and a jacket for a few days a year. With Black Friday next week, you can find a bargain, I'm sure.

Blob, I'm thinking of putting my trainer on in my lesson on Saturday. It's always interesting, both for me and for her, to get a true perspective of where we are at instead of having to interpret it through my flailings--and it's nice to see my horsie looking pretty under someone competent :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:51 am

Wow Blob your girl is looking really good. I love how she's using her hind end.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Wow Blob, hard to believe it's the same mare from all those years ago. She looks amazing, you have done a wonderful job with her. I'm sure you will get poor RP figured out as well.

I only ride twice a week lately and mostly at the walk, so nothing to report except that my new bridle arrived (turns out it was sitting at the neighbor's house) and fits perfectly. I'll catch a photog this weekend.

I would definitely get a nice new vest Chisamba, and congratulations on your "new" body. Losing weight and toning up is soooo much work--your smile says it all.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

We had a lot of snow the past two days, and I suddenly realized my shod horses did not have their snow tires on yet, so I rushed to bring them in.; Fortunately my farrier dug himself out and came to pull shoes and put snow pads on the one that just cannot go barefoot.; So kimba is now shoeless, it will be interesting to see if she holds up, barefoot through the winter. We worked a lot of canter leads, the listen to what i ask do not think for yourself kind of canter work. We are improving at it

Return to “Dressage Training”