The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Blob, your girl looks fantastic. I love how she's using her hind leg in those shots!

Annabelle's leg is nearly back to normal, so I'm thinking she'll be back to work for Thanksgiving. I managed to jog her in hand a few times, then she just started showing off her rearing skillz, so we had to shut down that operation. Now to get her back to moving without too many stupid explosions...

I need to enlist some help to get Tesla ground-driving. She was almost getting it, but spins her rear end around to face me as soon as she gets confused, so there's high potential for a tangled mess developing without a head person. She is a lot more energetic now that the weather's cool, and demonstrated her broncing when I put the saddle on a few days ago. So goal is to get her backed in July/August next summer, lol.
Keep calm and canter on.

ZinniaZ
Novice

Re: The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby ZinniaZ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:41 pm

StraightForward wrote:Blob, your girl looks fantastic. I love how she's using her hind leg in those shots!

Annabelle's leg is nearly back to normal, so I'm thinking she'll be back to work for Thanksgiving. I managed to jog her in hand a few times, then she just started showing off her rearing skillz, so we had to shut down that operation. Now to get her back to moving without too many stupid explosions...

I need to enlist some help to get Tesla ground-driving. She was almost getting it, but spins her rear end around to face me as soon as she gets confused, so there's high potential for a tangled mess developing without a head person. She is a lot more energetic now that the weather's cool, and demonstrated her broncing when I put the saddle on a few days ago. So goal is to get her backed in July/August next summer, lol.

Set up the lines so that they are low on the surcingle-- this prevents the spin and is a bit like butt reining. ;) If you are not using a surcingle, holler and I will take a photo of how I do it with a saddle on the low setting.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:03 pm

ZinniaZ wrote:Set up the lines so that they are low on the surcingle-- this prevents the spin and is a bit like butt reining. ;) If you are not using a surcingle, holler and I will take a photo of how I do it with a saddle on the low setting.

Yes, I am using a surcingle, I will try putting them a little lower, but there is a trainer at the barn who I can get to help too. The baby is all legs and quite sensitive, but does well once she figures out what I'm asking.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Blob your girl is beautiful!

Mountaineer - you and Laddie are looking great. :)

Bliss and I are keeping on. I didn't post goals this time because I'll be happy if I can just keep riding 3x a week. My work is crazy and life is busy, so just keeping Bliss going regularly will be a triumph.

I had a bunch of great rides though last week. He just keeps getting better and better in the contact - more accepting, more responsive, and more supple. I was going to add some pics to prove it, but just got an error message saying the board attachment limit had been reached???

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 am

Kyra and I are plodding along. I am currently continuing to work on my fitness and flexibility which means I am not riding very much but I do feel things are progressing although it seems awfully slow. I guess when you get 'over the hill', that is the way it is. I am swimming a couple time a week and doing strength training...mostly working on core a couple days a week. I am getting so I don't feel I need a siesta to get off my feet before I go to work so that is positive. I am still having foot issues otherwise I would love to be getting in some walking in this lovely fall weather.

Kyra has been pretty good. Our ride on Monday ended a little prematurely. I had her over on the track and one of the other boarders was riding way out in the hay field. She was very intent on the apparition that was out there. When that rider came back by us, she finally figured out it was a horse and rider and immediately relaxed but that horse and rider continued on past to the barn and all of a sudden she got very lonely and tensed up and on her toes. I just got off and walked back to the barn. I have nothing to prove and to boot, the BO had the tractor out ready to work the track and it was easier to dismount and walk by the tractor. She has a thing about the tractor, especially when the bucket is up. That started at the last barn I boarded at so I don't know what a tractor did to her :? .

Today was splendid weather for mid November. 50 degrees and no wind. Kind of dusty which is kind of strange for the time of year but no doubt about it that we have been dry. I think we have had one decent day of rain since mid-July. My back is feeling pretty good so I tried some trot work. It was quite nice. Since that went to well, I tried just a bit of canter and once in the canter, it was nice. Her transitions left a bit to be desired but the canter was good. Like trot the first time after my surgery, my back wasn't quite sure it liked that but what twinges I got abated quickly. We had a nice cool down and walk about over to the track and back (not that we got warm enough for a cool down :lol: ).

Wow, blob, your mare looks lovely.

Hot4Spots, so sorry that finding a new barn is so challenging.

Chisamba...you look great. I feel better with all my exercise but so far have yet to lose a pound. Oh well, I must continue.

Happy riding all.
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:Kyra has been pretty good. Our ride on Monday ended a little prematurely. I had her over on the track and one of the other boarders was riding way out in the hay field. She was very intent on the apparition that was out there. When that rider came back by us, she finally figured out it was a horse and rider and immediately relaxed but that horse and rider continued on past to the barn and all of a sudden she got very lonely and tensed up and on her toes.

It was so funny the other day - I was handwalking Annabelle and she was watching a palomino horse being ridden down Hubbard Rd. Then they cut across the corn stubble field, and all the horses freaked out because the palomino just blended right into the dried corn. :shock: :shock: Very dramatic!

Annabelle's fetlock looked to be normal size after 24 hours without a wrap, so I am introducing some light lunging (I'd try to jog her in hand, but she explodes randomly and I don't really want to take a hoof to the head) for a few days, and maybe on Thanksgiving day I'll climb aboard if all is well.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Finally got the video from Monday edited and posted:
https://youtu.be/YIrrWyRfE78

Lots to work on obviously but I'm pleased at the progress.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:07 am

StraightForward wrote:It was so funny the other day - I was handwalking Annabelle and she was watching a palomino horse being ridden down Hubbard Rd. Then they cut across the corn stubble field, and all the horses freaked out because the palomino just blended right into the dried corn. :shock: :shock: Very dramatic!

Yes. It was a similar situation. Bay horse cantering on a dirt field (it is all plowed up). I am sure at that distance they can discern the movement but not much else so their little brains just melt since they have no idea what IT is that is in motion :lol: .

Kyra must have forgotten about it as yesterday, she was very sensible on our track ride.

Rosie, Bliss looks to be curling in the collected canter work. Of course I can only see your little snippet as you put it together, not your whole session but I would do lots of "refreshing' of the canter forward in between short stints of more collected work. He looked slow behind and a couple times almost 4-beat. The trot work was better. All in all though, he looks good and progressing well for limited work...I know how that goes. Such a handsome boy and you ride him so well.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks Kyra - as I said there is lots to work on. :)

I know there's some 4 beating and that's exactly what I am working on - lots of gear changes in the canter. The place in the video the 4 beating is most obvious is the first 10m canter circle R... you may have noticed the second one was much better as I had the canter in a better balance/activity a little later. He has a tendency to go there if I challenge him in canter, so I am working on getting the activity, challenging him while trying to retain the activity, then going forward again to re-establish the activity. His gaits are naturally lofty but he's a little lazy behind so that will always be a work in progress.

You may not have noticed in previous videos, but Bliss has been holding a lot of tension in his neck in canter especially. It looks "pretty" but anytime I ask for flexion or ask him to bend a bit more he locks up, loses activity behind, and sometimes comes above the bit. So I am totally ok with a little curling from time to time as he learns that he can be soft and let go without losing activity. Especially because the feel is now significantly better - he is taking/accepting the contact much better and feels more even in both reins. I think it was WAZ that said that if a horse won't momentarily accept a stronger rein aid with softness, he's not truly on the aids.

What really helped me identify and start to address that tension issue was the comment that Linden left on the Rudy thread: "don't accept anything less than a soft, round contact on both side. not. one. step. otherwise you are encouraging him to be disconnected and blocked in his body."

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:53 pm

If it helps, Rosie, we all go through the same steps. This year, I've spent the majority of my canter work with Kiwi establishing that yes indeed we can be round and honest in the canter (even when we're going sideways or doing changes). Kiwi has the opposite reaction to increased engagement w.r.t. the hind legs and the tempo-- she gets quick instead of slow-- but the ultimate outcome is the same.

I had a lazy day on Saturday, so I just toodled around the trails with each of my horses. Because Queso is a good-minded guy, I tend to forget that he's actually still very green. So I trundled along on a trail that leads over a (currently dry) creekbed and didn't think anything of it until he slammed on the brakes and balked at the creek. Fabulous, says I, a learning moment. I let him think about it and rewarded every forward step he took (just like the books say).

Pro tip: hold off on rewarding your young horse with a big pat on the neck until you're safely on the other side of the creek. Else you may find yourself in a springbok-jump-over-the-creek situation.

All parties safely got to the other side, but I bet it was a thing of beauty to watch.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Just an update. Miro is still down for the count. I had a second opinion and while nothing is fractured, and nothing changes on flexion - meaning his joints (stifle, hips etc.) are good - he palpates very sore across his pelvis and he definitely has scar tissue built up around the wound. Vet feels strongly that this is soft tissue and will take a while - meaning that he must have been running and caught himself really hard. Very possible that some ligaments are involved, or a very deep bone bruise. I'm devastated, but at least the vet feels that it's not a career ender.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Argh, Dresseur! I'm glad you got another opinion but am sorry for the news...and grateful that a good long term outcome is possible.

Rosie, your videos shows that you have been doing good work! Lots of development is evident. Linden's comment resonated with me, too, and it what I've also heard from JJ and others.

Ponichiwa, your updates are always inspiring and fill me with smiles. My not green mare does that antelope creek leap sometimes. Usually on a long rein.... :lol:

Susan, I'm really glad you are back to a number of activities! I am "back on the bike" aka it is winter and I am not active enough in the dark, so I must do my spin bike time several days a week. I kind of hate it until the music starts and then I submit. It has really helped my core and endurance in the saddle---and it doesn't hurt my joints.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Very disappointing, Dresseur. Horses teach us patience.

Rosie, that's a lot of progress, and as we all know, it's not a linear, always classically perfect process, as none of us have classically perfect horses and sometimes compromises must be made in order to move forward. You are such an elegant rider.

Ponichiwa, that move isn't limited to young horses :)

My ankle feels a bit like Miro's hip, I think. No bones broken but that's the only good news. So I'm not as active as I'd like to be.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Thank you all for your posts and videos and photos. I don't post but I am reading all yalls's posts every day.

Once again my riding has been on hold. My foot was continuing to be a problem but I was ignoring it. My surgeon wasn't happy with how the lst surgery was going but iwas toughing it out. After the July Bertrand Ravoux clinic I was having a hard time; a day at Universal Studios left me crippled. The xrays between Jan and September showed such increased mess; my surgeon said 'what miracle do you thin is going to occur?!" So bac I went for surgery Sept 27. We have given up on the tendon. He lengthened the tendons of my four small toes and pinned them. He fused my big toe joint and disengaged the original screwed up tendon. Took out lots of arthritic bone and scar tissue.

As usual the post surgery was excruciating. One of my daughters came for the first two weeks. My poor husband is doing everything and waiting on me. I hate being dependent.

Post surgery thing didn't go well. My incision necrotized and I developed a fracture blister/hematoma. It was a disgusting nasty mess. I had to have another surgery October 30 to clean all the necrosis. I had a Wound Vac for a month. What a PIA!!!!

I am finally able to put weight on my heel, still in a big boot, go to the wound care doc twice a week.

My left calf is almost two inches thinner than my right calf and my left thigh is over an inch bigger than my right thigh. My right leg is doing all the work and is muscly and so strong, my left leg, meh. I am so tired of going through this.

My neighbor/vet/renter is taking care of the horses. Shes a Godsend.

The good news: I probably will not need skin grafts yay!

But Im looking at still two or three months of crutches and wound care visits.

I was so on edge since we have been in fire season and I felt so helpless. I packed the truck and trailer and left them hooked up and my friends have been great, checking in. But those first five weeks I was a medicated vomiting miserable mess ad thought HTH would I be able to get out of here in a hurry. Thank God we were spared so far.

I cant wait to be back to riding!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm so sorry, Abby. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Okay. This isn't MY progress, but at least someone with an Appy is making progress. LOL This is my horse's "cousin" (same grandsire). She's 4 or 5 years old, owned and ridden by a 14 year old. The horse is quite green, to my knowledge. She's very hesitant the first few fences, but around fence 5 or 6 gets the hang of it. She apparently won the Area VI Intro Championship (eventing). And the turnout!! Pretty in Pink!!* and are those mare ears or are those mare ears??!?! So cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgiwM_XqBU

*George Morris would have a heart attack.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Hot! That video was adorable, thank you so much, I laughed at every silliness and personally I think the pink ensemble looked great.

What a CUTE horse and good little rider.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:37 am

That is such an athletic little horse. I bet they will go far together.

Abby, so sorry about your foot woes.

And Miro/Dresseur.

Such a bummer that this thread seems to be turning into an injured list.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:38 am

H4S what a cute pair there!

Dresseur I am so sorry about Miro. Dang I hope it won't be too much longer before he gets back into work again.

SF I hope Annabelle is good to go this week. Joplin seems to be doing well. Lunged her for the first time today, she looked pretty good as good as I could tell as she was whizzing by! A bit cool and breezy and she was feeling her oats. Hope to try again tomorrow and get a better assessment. Leg looks good though even with the bouncing around in muddy footing she did when I first put her back out.

Not getting much done right now, after having to let Roger go and dealing with his medical issues last week and my Dad ended up in the ER with vertigo and the weather last week, my horses have been getting a bit of time off. Sometimes you just have to step away.

Hoping all heal both horse and human (Mountaineer, Abby and SueB) and happy riding to all others. Jingling for a not too nasty of winter this year!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:54 pm

I don't teach lessons below 15. Over thev years of living in the northeast I have realized that if you give a lesson significant enough to ask money, at 15 the horse has to work hard enough that though can actually hear its breathing change. So I simply made 15 F an arbitrary cut off. Others trainers and riders disagree with me but I live with my own conscience.

So Thursday /Friday here is supposed to be the coldest since 1901. I keep getting texts to schedule lessons. I won't make a schedule because I really dont know at what time it will warm up to 15. Am I being obtuse?

I pulled shoes because we had a foot of snow and the ship horses couldn't go out. I have lightened the work load to let feet toughen. My goals will not be achieved.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:29 pm

nice horse! I *used* to be more traditional as far as colors, but once I had friends that evented and have bay TBS that look the SAME, esp from far away on XC, you learn to appreciate colors!

(I don't have that problem....)

my horse is sort of injured too, but not really. he has some swelling on his jaw but i think its a bite. Modified work program.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Chisamba wrote:I don't teach lessons below 15. Over thev years of living in the northeast I have realized that if you give a lesson significant enough to ask money, at 15 the horse has to work hard enough that though can actually hear its breathing change. So I simply made 15 F an arbitrary cut off. Others trainers and riders disagree with me but I live with my own conscience.

Yeah, that is my thought too.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:37 pm

I should mention that the mare won the CDS Sport Horse Championship for her age group as a weaning (open), and had the third highest score in the show. I'm not sure how big she us, but the sire is 16.2 and dam is an Oldenburg. Her name is Confetti's Cottontail ("Bunny") because she was born on Easter Sunday.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:19 am

Abby, thinking of you and sending continued healing jingles.

H4S, that pair is awesome! I loved how careful yet willing the mare was. Quite elegant, too---even in the pink :-)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Happy thanksgiving (American thanksgiving)....to everyone!!!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Happy thanksgiving (American thanksgiving)....to everyone!!!

Agreed! Happy Thanksgiving, all, even if you celebrated it one month early (looking at you, Canadians) or not at all.

I'm hosting dinner this year and am trying to sneak out for a couple hours to ride before this day gets away from me. Taking my host responsibilities seriously!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Hey, eating pie is always in style in every country, is it not? I say celebrate.

Anyways, not much doing this week for me as I'm doing a lighter week till the bite/swelling resolves. I hope I can get back to more when I have this extra time off. The work has been going really well -- the saddle change really was what spring-boarded us to better engagement. Its not just the fit, its the balance. Its so amazing saddles can be so different

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Sorry for everyone's injuries! Hopefully everyone heals up soon, or at least if it's over winter if you can't ride as much?

I'll share a bit of vid from Equitana. This was the last bit of the session, putting it all together what he showed us to do for the single and double pole slalom.
I seriously didn't think I'd be able to do tight turns and then changes, but with the tips that Pedro gave us, Ding was able to do it! Ding handled the environment really well. I was pretty nervous but Pedro was very encouraging and reassuring, a really nice guy.
The awesome thing with Equitana was that there was such a diversity of horses and riders. One minute we were walking amongst dressage horses, then showjumpers, then ponies, reining horses (once we were swept up by about 30 reining riders in the warm up, all just going in one big circle. Ding loved checking everyone out) carriage horses and even a pack of hunting hounds. Also it was interesting seeing which people were friendlier than others.
Ding was happy to be home. Such a long float trip and Norsey was so happy to see him too :)

https://youtu.be/uLPoDNodgEk

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:21 pm

Flight wrote:Sorry for everyone's injuries! Hopefully everyone heals up soon, or at least if it's over winter if you can't ride as much?

I'll share a bit of vid from Equitana. This was the last bit of the session, putting it all together what he showed us to do for the single and double pole slalom.
I seriously didn't think I'd be able to do tight turns and then changes, but with the tips that Pedro gave us, Ding was able to do it! Ding handled the environment really well. I was pretty nervous but Pedro was very encouraging and reassuring, a really nice guy.
The awesome thing with Equitana was that there was such a diversity of horses and riders. One minute we were walking amongst dressage horses, then showjumpers, then ponies, reining horses (once we were swept up by about 30 reining riders in the warm up, all just going in one big circle. Ding loved checking everyone out) carriage horses and even a pack of hunting hounds. Also it was interesting seeing which people were friendlier than others.
Ding was happy to be home. Such a long float trip and Norsey was so happy to see him too :)

https://youtu.be/uLPoDNodgEk

What a great experience. You look really good

blob

Postby blob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Gosh, Flight, that looks beautiful and impossible! Ha!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:04 pm

awesome flight! great job!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Doing the happy dance! Ever since I got hurt, I worried about doing our town's Turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning. it's a 5K fun run/walk and I've been doing it for like 10 ears now. Two years ago I walked/jogged for a time of 40min (not impressive unless you know I can't run due to bad knees and hips) in the snow; last year a family tragedy took me out of town over T-day. This year, my initial goal was to simply complete the thing no matter what, but a few weeks ago I changed my goal to finishing under an hour. Yesterday, with my son's encouragement, I finished at 55 minutes. :D :D

I have been riding some, good workout Wednesday but I am still struggling to to ride symmetrically which seems to annoy Rudy. When I get my act together, though, he goes quite nicely in walk and trot. I don't seem to swing my hips enough yet in the canter though, so I only do a few strides at a time. I did get him a new bridle which he definitely prefers over the one he broke and I taped together. He he

I lunged Tio but did not ride as he was being a bit pushy and a bit bucky. Fortunately, he did NOT jerk me around on the lunge and ultimately turned into a "very good boy." Yesterday was rainy and cold so I did not ride at all. Turkey was yummy though.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Glad you are getting around better and riding, Sue!

Baby T has learned to trot next to me without getting so excited (mostly) and slowly getting better with her hoof-handling manners. Learning to wear a blanket now that the weather has turned. Yesterday she took the bridle without the fruit roll-up incentive.

Annabelle seems nearly ready to go back to work. Trying to be patient, but I'm itching to ride.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:47 am

Despite shockingly cold morning temp ( -3F on the barn thermometer) despite the weather report saying it was 5. It did turn sunny and warm up above 15, so I was able to teach and ride. Kimba was fresh but good, sound on her bare feet. All in all a good day at Chisamba Farm

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks for the kind wishes!

At first it was just to discouraging/depressing to watch horse videos and I read your updates but couldn't bear to watch your videos.

But now that I HOPE that another 6 weeks will let me transition in to a regular shoe and permission to weight bear I can handle watching you guys ride >;-> Flght a going to watch your video EVERY DAY and imagine George and I doing this exercise. Thank you for posting it.

Chisamba my personal limit used to be 2 degrees. I didn't work hard but I would still ride if it was above 2. I cant even imagine living that way now.

Thanks again all t feels good to be back in your world. I hope everybody had the day they wanted yesterday. I cant cook and no kids were able come so we went out to dinner. It seemed strange but it was ok.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Marooned at home today--snowing like crazy. Missing my lesson, but better than being out on the roads!

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:14 pm

Rosie B wrote:Finally got the video from Monday edited and posted:
https://youtu.be/YIrrWyRfE78

Lots to work on obviously but I'm pleased at the progress.

much softer through the base of the neck - good job. Now its time to rev the engine - esp in the canter, ride much stronger in your seat, and use much stronger half halts to encourage a 3-beat rhythm and think "withers up" every stride, without reverting to rigid arms and contact - supple and release through the strength. self carriage comes after suppleness is achieved. you can start to vary the size and shape of gaits, and also the orientation of the contact - sometimes ask for higher neck positioning, stay up until it's soft and connected and true, then lower, stay there again until it is honest, position right, same thing, position left, same thing, then go from there.

have fun!! looks better
"Fix things going forward." LR

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:03 pm

what does it mean "the board attachment quota has been reached?"

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Ryeissa wrote:what does it mean "the board attachment quota has been reached?"

= no more fun for Rye

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:09 pm

went through my photos from 2011 when I first got my horse to today (they needed to be organized). I realize that I have not taken a break for more than say 4 days in almost 8 yrs besides one month when I was home sick (like sick from work for a month straight) and except when he was actually hurt. I guess its valid that sometimes it feels like the same old same old, but I have really learned a lot with my new trainers. I am definitely passionate about dressage, but there is probably a reason it can be hard to keep that upward momentum

We are like an old married couple, we still have the same bad habits. But he is still super fun.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:09 pm

Linden wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:what does it mean "the board attachment quota has been reached?"

= no more fun for Rye

Hmmm I even limited my pony pics to like 2....I'm missing something! If someone spammed us with pony pics it wasn't me :lol:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:34 pm

Ryeissa wrote: I realize that I have not taken a break for more than say 4 days in almost 8 yrs besides one month when I was home sick (like sick from work for a month straight) and except when he was actually hurt.

I think showing up and doing good work is huge! That applies to most things in life IMO. So congratulations from me.

I'm a very steady 5 day a week rider/trainer with my mare. The few times I ride less, she just doesn't feel as good. In icky weather today (40s F, grey, damp, after 1-2" of rain overnight), we just did an energetic walk in the ring for 15 minutes and then an energetic walking hack in the fields with a friend. But even with that little sort of work, I am still picky about straightness and connection. This truly makes a difference over time. And the little mare is happier at the end of the ride: loose and relaxed heading to her stall and dinner.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:48 am

piedmontfields wrote:
Ryeissa wrote: I realize that I have not taken a break for more than say 4 days in almost 8 yrs besides one month when I was home sick (like sick from work for a month straight) and except when he was actually hurt.

I think showing up and doing good work is huge! That applies to most things in life IMO. So congratulations from me.

I'm a very steady 5 day a week rider/trainer with my mare. The few times I ride less, she just doesn't feel as good. In icky weather today (40s F, grey, damp, after 1-2" of rain overnight), we just did an energetic walk in the ring for 15 minutes and then an energetic walking hack in the fields with a friend. But even with that little sort of work, I am still picky about straightness and connection. This truly makes a difference over time. And the little mare is happier at the end of the ride: loose and relaxed heading to her stall and dinner.

All of this! So true that steady exercise keeps horses' ( and riders') bodies and minds comfortable and efficient

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:34 am

Abby Kogler wrote:Thanks for the kind wishes!

At first it was just to discouraging/depressing to watch horse videos and I read your updates but couldn't bear to watch your videos.

But now that I HOPE that another 6 weeks will let me transition in to a regular shoe and permission to weight bear I can handle watching you guys ride >;-> Flght a going to watch your video EVERY DAY and imagine George and I doing this exercise. Thank you for posting it.

Chisamba my personal limit used to be 2 degrees. I didn't work hard but I would still ride if it was above 2. I cant even imagine living that way now.

Thanks again all t feels good to be back in your world. I hope everybody had the day they wanted yesterday. I cant cook and no kids were able come so we went out to dinner. It seemed strange but it was ok.

I ride, and tell people to hack, I just don't teach. There is a difference in aerobic requirements for a lesson versus a ride.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:01 am

My fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue is kicking my butt.
Last edited by Ryeissa on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:48 pm

My barn held a Ride-A-Test clinic on Saturday. Kiwi and I served as the demo riders for how to (and how not to) ride the intro through 1st movements, and also took the chance to run through 3rd 3 while we were at it. It actually felt pretty easy! I'm glad all the work we did this year to improve the connection has paid off.

I ran through Intro B with Queso, who (despite almost leaving the arena at A-- young horses, man) did super. We're starting to get the basics of acceptance of the bit now, which means next year we're going to GRAND PRIX!! Ahem. Maybe not.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:I ran through Intro B with Queso, who (despite almost leaving the arena at A-- young horses, man) did super. We're starting to get the basics of acceptance of the bit now, which means next year we're going to GRAND PRIX!! Ahem. Maybe not.

sure! I love the little confident dudes. they are so READY to do ANYTHING :lol:

you should see Riot stare down a cross rail BUS-NASS, people, Lets do this thing

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Moutaineer took all our snow; all we got was horridly cold wind on Saturday. :evil:

Sunday was beautiful, in the 30's and NO wind, just a light breeze. Rode Rudy in and out of the arena--I find i have to spend a good 15 minutes briskly walking him to get MY back and hips swinging, never mind his. Part way through our ride-out, he saw something "scary" that he hadn't noticed before (maybe it was the way the tarp was flapping around) and started to do his crazy horse imitation. Much to my credit, however, after initially tightening up, I relaxed, wrapped my legs around his pudgy barrel, deepened my seat and softened my elbows. While he was still concerned about the scary object, he immediately focused in on my instructions and never gave it or anything else a second look. he just marched on by like some well-trained dressage horse would. :P Arena work went reasonably well also, but it's hard when he says I am still not quite right. Gets better every time I ride though.

I lunged Tio again, who was an absolute gem to the left and a snot to the right. Guess that means I am 50% of the way there to riding him. On the plus side, he is moving really well and when he's a good kid I remember why I like to ride him. I'm still noodling over the idea of sending him to a cowboy--is that crazy? I just want someone to ride him out and shut him down faster than I can when he pulls his c**p. There isn't a mean bone in that boy's body, but he can be very pushy and he is insanely strong when he puffs out all his muscles. I think khall understands what I'm saying.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:16 pm

SueB yes I do. I have one of the those pushy types that can be very impressive with his shenanigans, sigh. I too know when it is ok to step on him and when it is best left for another day. Thank goodness those days are getting fewer now as he matures finally!

I'm not getting much done these days, weather has not been co operating and when it is good I have had other obligations (sick cat that I spent time at the ER vet Saturday and Sunday, still don't know what is going on, fever but all diagnostics normal) farrier yesterday, hosting Thanksgiving, vet for teeth today.

I hope all are having good rides when you can. Now to gear up for the holidays! Already have my tree up and some other decorations done.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Well, FML. Had a new vet out and she pinpointed Annabelle's issue: fractured coffin bone wing. :( Good prognosis, but she is going to be layed up for 6-8 months. So much for 2019.

I will need to muster the ambition to ride other people's horse, I suppose.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”