The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Mari, I love your horse, as always. FWIW, my scores at 2nd got a lot better when we got a lot more forward and impulsion. It didn't feel as "pretty" to me, but it actually looked better on video and it's apparently what the judges are looking for :)

My current goal is to get Laddie to eat the damned bute. Sigh. I have powdered bute. Most horses I have had on it just eat it mixed with their grain. So far, in addition to begging, we've tried molasses, apple sauce, senior feed, and a mixture of all three. I'm going to swing by the local feed store later and see if they have a giant syringe, and I'll just dilute it and squirt it in, if I have to.

It's an 80 mile roundtrip on snowy roads to go get paste bute, before anyone suggests it.

Flight

Re: The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby Flight » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 pm

Blob, the instructor come down 4 times a year and does live in Australia so hopefully I can keep working with her :)

Mari, it is so hard to get it right at shows and I think the people who show a lot might come close. Your photos are nice, and great to be out there after a long break away.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I'm going to swing by the local feed store later and see if they have a giant syringe, and I'll just dilute it and squirt it in, if I have to.

Do you give him paste wormer? If he's due for one soon, I'd give it early and reuse that syringe.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Ah, Mari, love 'em all, but especially the spotty ones! Lovely pics.

My humorous moment yesterday: Moved the horsie. My old trailer hasn't moved in 3 years, plug rusted so no turn/brake lights, don't trust it, so hired local trainer to haul him. My old trailer is a slant with the divider removed, so we always unloaded by just turning around and walking out (step in/out). Trainer's trailer is side-by-side with ramp. He loaded easily. We got to his new home...and he would not unload. Kept turning his head -"Mom, I need to turn around to walk out." Now he knows the command "back," but seemed to have trouble putting it together with backing out of a trailer. At one point he was like an elephant on a pedestal - the front legs had backed up, but the hind didn't move. Finally, he put a tentative hind leg onto the ramp, and a few chest pushes got him out. He was calm throughout, but just seemed really befuddled by the fact that he couldn't turn around.

Then once out and he realized he was in a new place, he turned into a fire-breathing dragon. Heckuva passage, piaffe, courbette and a capriole or two, in hand. He settled once he was in his new paddock/run in shed with a flake of hay, but I had to give him a little chemical help in order to ride him. Barn owner at new place emailed me this morning that he settled down yesterday afternoon and has been perfectly calm with no yahoos. He's eating, pooping, napping....I won't see him until Wednesday. Sigh. I don't know how I am going to cope with not being to see him everyday. I left baggies with his daily supplements. Sure hope something more local opens up soon.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 am

Thanks everyone, I need some encouragement (25%) and a kick in the pants (75%) :lol:

Mountaineer - I so understand about the forward! Our first outing at this level, I was so tense and nervous that I slowed the trot down to a crawl, and we got a 51%. This time I actually *rode* the horse, and we were both much better. But lack of submission just kills us in the show ring, going to have to really make a project out of getting and keeping his attention.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 am

I remembered I already had a giant syringe, deep in the heart of the first aid kit :)

He's mortally offended that I should pull such a trick on him. It may only work the once.

Mari--I get it. Laddie is two different horses in and out of the show ring. But that's probably because I'm two different riders...

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am

Mountaineer, why don't you buy Previcoxx? It's such a little pill and easy to give.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:19 pm

ditto - I would use Previcox over Bute. Easy given in pill pocket or apple slice. My older retiree has been on it now going on 3 years, otherwise, I would have PTS. I avoid Bute except for very short term use only and when needed.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Sorry to read about all the horse and rider injuries and all the weather related problems, but at least we keep on keeping on.

Rocky appears to be recovering from the torn suspensory. I added canter last week and it feels very nice. The 25th of this month will be the 4 month mark since the injury and I will have the vet recheck her. Ive managed to ride her 4X a week and would be doing 5X except for the winter weather. I think she will be ready to start lessons again by February.

I am currently doing weekly lessons on a school horse and I am definitely benefiting from the weekly aspect. Rocky has gotten good about loading and hauling but I just wonder if once a week would be too much hauling . It’s a 21 mile trip each way. I have options. I can alternate weeks on the school horse and then only have to haul Rocky every other week. But on the other hand, it would be best for Rocky’s training if she had weekly lessons, too. Ideally, I could have the trainer ride her one week and i would ride her the next, and on the week that trainer rides, i could take a lesson on the school horse. But that would mean hauling Rocky every week...am I too protective to not want to haul her once a week? I worry about ulcers with that much hauling. And it’s not just the physical part of ulcers, but the emotional part.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Mari, if se loads well and seems ok I would totally do it. If you are worried about her tummy just give her gastroguard before and after.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:19 pm

musical comedy wrote:Mountaineer, why don't you buy Previcoxx? It's such a little pill and easy to give.

Oh, I love Previcoxx, and if I had any to hand I would use it, but I'm out, vet office is 80 mile round trip on snowy roads, and it's only supposed to be a 5 day course--and the vet specified bute.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Demi, I used to haul my ulcer factory horse, Lad, to an indoor arena 45 miles away twice a week in the winter with no flare-up of ulcers. I would've boarded him there but his ulcers prevented that; the only place he was happy was at home with his herd. So it may not bother Rocky at all.

Mari, lovely pictures and I am thrilled you are back on your hose now. Congratulations!

Moutaineer, so sorry lad is laid up again, but I guess his timing is pretty good, given that winter has officially arrived. ;)

I rode Rudy and lunged Tio this weekend in the light snowfall because it was falling almost straight down instead of our usual sideways. Tio was foot perfect this weekend; nonetheless I declined to ride him as I did not want to come off on frozen ground. I have got to get over this and just hop on--he really is a fun horse to ride. Rudy was grumpy at first because I forgot to put on his quarter sheet. Once he thoroughly warmed up though he was quite nice to ride so long as I could keep myself straight on him. For some reason my back was acting up and sending fiery signals down my right leg making it difficult for me to be functional on that side. I finally figured out to do a slower, very cadenced trot doing "stirrup stepping" first rising, then sitting, which loosened up whatever was locked up in my lower back. Rudy breathed a big sigh of relief when I finally got it right. He's a good egg.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:54 pm

demi wrote:...am I too protective to not want to haul her once a week? I worry about ulcers with that much hauling. And it’s not just the physical part of ulcers, but the emotional part.

Welcome to my world. I never used to worry about any of this stuff, but then when I realized what had likely been going on with the TB/QH mare I rode for 20+ years, I became a lot more protective. And that protectiveness just continues to escalate as I find out about more and more things that can and do go wrong.

And then to add to it, I just read the long thread about DSLD/ESPA on coth and that made me even more anxious. Not because I think any of my horses have it, because it just adds to the bottomless pit of all the things that can go wrong with horses.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:56 pm

demi wrote:But that would mean hauling Rocky every week...am I too protective to not want to haul her once a week? I worry about ulcers with that much hauling. And it’s not just the physical part of ulcers, but the emotional part.
There was a time that I hauled a horse that far daily to a trainer who was riding him. That would have been probably 20+ years ago. I never thought about ulcers with any of my horses; still don't. However, now at my age, I would not haul out at all. The rare times I have to haul 2.5 miles to the clinic causes me emotional distress. The tailgate on the trailer is hard to lift now too and hooking up would be hard on my tendinitis I have in both hands. So, my answer really depends on 'your' physical and emotional state, not that of the horse. I don't think 1/2 hour in the trailer is too much, especially if it's not a rough ride. I think it would be beneficial to you and Rocky to do the once a week lesson. I don't see how once every other week would be that helpful, but that's me.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 pm

Demi, I think the other thing to keep in mind is that once hauling becomes regular, it also becomes easier and less stressful on the horse. Horses are stressed by hauling largely because it's a change from the norm. But if you're hauling weekly, it's not an event, it's just a thing you do. The first couple times give Rocky gastrogaurd if she's ulcer prone. But after that, I think you'll be golden.

Of course you should only do it if you're comfortable and not too worried.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm

I used to trailer my horse weekly for lessons, and after the first time or two, it became a non-event. I agree with Blob. If you do it regularly, it won't be that stressful because it will become part of the routine. (My roundtrip was about 44 miles)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 am

I'm getting better at re-creating the uphill energy in the canter that i felt in my recent clinics. That is huge for me! My horse has a very spunky canter and can flatten, its been a real process. Don't you know that to him, CANTER. BEST. THING. EVER. I swear....there is no wearing out the horse. Never ever. He wears ME out....

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 pm

I regularly haul out for lessons. I start my young stock loading and hauling before their weaned so that hopefully it's a nonevent later in life. For those I've acquired that weren't handled the way I do it, I have always had a 'beast' like the stinker pony who LOVES to haul. He truly loves going places. He and my Arab gelding before him (B.K., one of the many Bey Shah offspring) were awesome hauling buddies. A couple times with those cool cucumbers and my horses have developed into seasoned travelers, including long hauls for most. B.K. did have to travel a couple of times cross country to keep my former FEI Welsh Cob company (Monty). Both B.K. and the stinker were/are great at hanging out in or off (at) the trailer while I rode another. Junior was started as I stated, first with his dam and then with the stinker. He's a 4 year old hauling champion now. In fact we're hauling to a lesson today.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanks for the encouraging responses on hauling! This is what I needed to hear. I very much appreciated the people on this board. I will plan on hauling her weekly to the lessons. Since she is recovering from the torn suspensory, I’ll start every other week for the first month, and then go to weekly lessons. I am really looking forward to this!

I bought the 2019 test app! I think its a great way to learn the tests. With weekly lessons, adding a few schooling shows next year should be quite doable. I like the tests as a way to progress, and going to the shows will help, too.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 pm

demi wrote:I bought the 2019 test app! I think its a great way to learn the tests.

Can you tell us more about what the app includes/provides? I'm curious to hear more about it!

I'm also eager for the 2019 show season to be underway a bit more. I find watching youtube videos of people riding tests very helpful, so I'm looking forward to 2019 tests starting to appear.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 am

Well, Laddie felt good this afternoon. A little too good--boiling over good--which was "interesting" with ice falling off the roof. We'll see how he is on Friday after he's been off bute for a few days, but it'll be nice to get him back to some work he can focus on rather than just walking around the arena looking for trouble.

Fingers crossed :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:39 pm

I heard the ap was only for Apple phones so far.....?

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 pm

I also bought the app, and got the bundled FEI and 1st-4th level tests. I personally don't think that the interface is any where near as nice as the Equi-tests, but if you've never used that app, you probably won't mind it. What I loved about Equi-test was that they had the directions on the right, so you could see the directions in your peripheral vision, and it was a natural left to right scan. I also liked that they had a horse icon that quickly showed direction of bend (in SI for example) so you didn't always even need to read to see what was happening, and there was more difference in colors for extended and medium gaits vs regular gaits. I am not happy that the FEI tests will be defunct the second they change anything. I could have stuck with my Equi-tests version until changes were made as they are all still the 2015 versions with amendments.

Miro is getting checked again today. Fingers crossed for improvement.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I cant compare to Equi-tests, but Test-pro seems really neat, to me. I don’t know if it is available for android, yet.I like that it has intro and training levels in both small and full size arenas. In the App Store you can get a preview which will give you a better idea than what I can explain.

When you open a test, the directions are on the left (that doesn’t seem to bother me), and you can touch the arrow to move them off the screen and get a full view of the arena. On the bottom, each movement is written, one at a time with arrows to move back or forward one direction at a time. As you tap the arrows to move through the test, the movements are highlighted on the arena, different colors for different gaits, and little horse bodies to show direction and bend(they are kinda crude little horses, but it works). You an draw on the arena before each movement, and big dots will appear to show you where to go...a connect the dots approach.

What i really like, is that there is audio recording for each test, which has slow, normal, and fast playback speeds. I havent tried it on a horse yet, but if the timing is right, it may be like have a personal reader on demand!

I just got it yesterday and haven’t played with it much. It’s raining today and for the next few days, so i have to wait to try out the audio. In the meantime, I’ll play around with the different app settings.

Blob, i am also looking for the 2019 tests to appear on YouTube. I will try to post my own attempts soon... :o :shock: :?

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Best wishes for all the recovering horses! Rocky is still in rehab stages, but I can so relate to not being able to ride her. Time passes slowly as they recover...

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Tio cracked his foot on the ice and is lame. :evil: It was so cold yesterday when I was digging around on his foot that the bute paste froze in the syringe! Winter can be annoying sometimes. Anyways, the little I got accomplished seems to be working as he is walking much better this morning.

ETA: I am grateful to myself for teaching him to hold his leg up on command, so that I could work on it without totally hurting my poor back (just tingling last night and this morning, so not bad).

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:25 pm

After playing with the app some more, I definitely like hearing the test as I watch the diagramming. This is way easier for my visual self than reading.

Also, the little horse body changes shape and color. Yellow and short for collection and white and long foe extensions. The color gets more yellow as the collection increases.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Can this app work on my big Imac desktop?

demi

Postby demi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:04 pm

The App Store says for iPhone, iPad and I touch, so probably not.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Finally back in town after 2.5 weeks of traveling.

MM typically does well with time off, but she is always a bit stiff and strung out the first few rides. And she's not the only one who is a bit disorganized after time off...So, we're working through getting us both back on track with easy work. Once we're limbered up, it'll be back to developing our medium/extended trot (this is our real weakness) and getting changes confirmed. With the changes, I need to get much, much better about my timing. I can FEEL the timing, but I don't consistently act on the timing. I need to start working on it/thinking about it even when we're not actively working on the changes.

I lunged RP yesterday. He's really only had ground work since he started being reactive in November. After he dumped me, I'd put a few more rides on him. But I haven't been on since he flipped himself over on the lunge. He'd been working well on the lunge the week or so before I left and picked right back up yesterday. I really do need to get back on him, but admittedly, I'm nervous. It's not so much the riding him that worries me, it's the mounting up that worries me. While I was away, he completed 30 days of ulcer treatment. He'll continue to get the pop rocks for at least another month, if not more. He also has an appointment with the dentist next week. Regardless of what she sees in his mouth, I've ordered mouth/jaw xrays, so I can be sure to cross my t's and dot my i's. I'm very much hoping she finds something--it'll save me me time/money of further diagnostics and mouth problems sound like potentially the most fixable of the possibilities. I'm not sure I'll feel totally comfortable with him as a riding horse unless something is found. I don't mind working with horses that have behavioral or fear problems, but in those cases I can identify a trigger and therefore predict and prepare.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 am

Well, not wishing to tempt the gods or anything... but we have bute-free soundness, so far.

Looking forward to a proper ride when I can test all the buttons, so to speak, instead of having to ride defensively while sharing our small indoor arena with not just one, but two clueless people who don't ride proper figures, can't maintain a circle, forget the left to left rule and have no idea where they are going most of the time. Lovely ladies who I am very fond of, but crap, they are a challenge to ride with.

Sorry, just a little winter vent... They probably think I'm an entitled witch thundering around the place on my giant warmblood.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Well, not wishing to tempt the gods or anything... but we have bute-free soundness, so far.

Looking forward to a proper ride when I can test all the buttons, so to speak, instead of having to ride defensively while sharing our small indoor arena with not just one, but two clueless people who don't ride proper figures, can't maintain a circle, forget the left to left rule and have no idea where they are going most of the time. Lovely ladies who I am very fond of, but crap, they are a challenge to ride with.

Sorry, just a little winter vent... They probably think I'm an entitled witch thundering around the place on my giant warmblood.

I have come to realize that spacial orientation is a rare gift. as is riding logic i try to make up for it by calling my line loudly. ON THE RAIL, left to left, im circling. I suppose that makes me also seem like an entitled bitch, but i encourage everyone to do it, so i dont stand out, lol

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm

I don’t run into the left to left conflict much when I’m riding (I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve shared the arena with my 4 barn mates in the past year), but when I run later in the day it’s an endless gauntlet of walkers, dogs, old folks, moms with strollers, etc. All seem mystified by the normal “stay to the right” trail etiquette that the city POSTS on signs at regular intervals!!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Chisamba wrote:I have come to realize that spacial orientation is a rare gift. as is riding logic i try to make up for it by calling my line loudly. ON THE RAIL, left to left, im circling. I suppose that makes me also seem like an entitled bitch, but i encourage everyone to do it, so i dont stand out, lol
The few times I ride with my neighbor, we both do this. I have been riding alone now for years. Sadly, I think I would have a lot of trouble riding with a group now. Maybe it's my inability, but I think it would be hard to work with a greener horse in a group ride. It's not that I can't 'steer', but I don't like to abandon whatever it is I feel I need to do to keep the horse going well. Am I making any sense (probably not) :lol: .

Sounds like an excuse, but my showing suffered due to not being able to warmup properly in the crowded warmup. Of course, the dressage warmup is nothing like the hunter/jumper warmup ring.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 pm

While Mark has adjusted fairly well to his new paddock/run-in shed arrangement*, he has been a nervous wreck under saddle. He's been at his new home one week, so admittedly, early days. I rode him the Sunday he was moved and the following Wednesday (used up my "floating holiday" from work, which has to be used before year's end). I had to ACE him each time. A fellow boarder was supposed to hand walk him on Thursday, but I told her if he acted up, she should not risk injury and should put him back in his paddock - and apparently that's exactly what happened. He's almost two hands taller than her little mustang that died recently, and if he decides to get charge-y, spin, etc. - he's just too intimidating for her. So when I got there Saturday, I drugged him again. Sunday, in the cold and fog (and quiet - I was the only one there since stable hand had started early and left for his Sunday off and BO was in the house), I did our usual, hopefully calming, grooming routine and got on without benefit of ACE. I SURVIVED!!! The first 5-10 minutes were a little dicey - I rode him in the (square) lunging pen, and waited until the hump in his back subsided. Then we ventured out and around the property, around and into the two arenas, etc. I am flummoxed as to what to do next, however. The commute after work is horrendous and the point of putting him there was he could have his paddock and I thought two days of hand walking and three days of riding would be sufficient, but if he's not being hand walked at all.......I suggested to the hand walker that I could buy some oral paste calmer she could give him...but she seemed very wary of handling him ever again. Sigh. I will attempt the rush hour commute Wednesday and we'll see what happens.

*he's used to getting his supplements/grass hay pellets after I ride him, whatever time of day that may be. However, after being given his supplements each day with his evening hay since he's been there, apparently he had a hissy when I miscounted and left one less bag than I should have. Amazing how quickly THAT new routine was engraved into his brain!
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm

After decades of riding by myself I recently started riding with a couple of friends, and I think I get what you mean MC, because when I'm on a roll I hate to stop even though I know I'm probably intimidating my riding partners. I keep telling them that they don't need to stop or get out of my way because I have more control than it may look like I do, but I don't think they believe me. :-)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:58 am

I went to Dallas to spend some time with DH. Four days with nothing horse. No cleaning feeding or riding. I was happy to get five rides in this morning. It was refreshing. My current focus is still hands more back to front riding . I do think my weight loss is paying off for the horses.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm

I took my horses to a show on Saturday and am pleased to report that Kiwi broke 60% on both 3rd level tests (although there was plenty of room for improvement thanks to tension), and Queso handled a busy warm-up ring in a strange place like a champ. His scores aren't really anything to write home about, but my goal was exposure and we checked that box with gusto. That's not a horse that goes off his feed away from home, let me tell you.

I also got a new saddle that fits, so our journey to actually starting dressage (instead of toodling around on a long rein) begins!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Congrats, Ponchiwa! Sounds like a very successful show outing. Also, exciting news on the saddle. Finding the right saddle can be such a nightmare, but it's such a blessing once you find the right thing!

Hot4Spots, moving horses can be such a challenge. Hopefully Mark will settle down soon--sometimes it can take a few weeks. It's funny because there are horses I know who are exactly the same when you take them to overnight shows, yet when you move them to a new home, it's like they know somehow and get rather anxious. Maybe you can coordinate riding with another boarder--some horses are a lot calmer with another horse in the arena.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 pm

I had a bad last show of the year. Nothing major just lots of little things. It was forecast hot, and there is no shade at the grounds so I was thinking about scratching. Ding doesn't go well in the heat - black, fat and fluffy. I was due to ride early afternoon so I plaited up in the morning and went and had some breaky. He rolled in the dust and his plaits were destroyed! What was I thinking!
Then the valve on the spare tyre had broken so took the chance with going with no spare. Had to try and fix the plaits when I got there, which made me only have 10 mins warm up and then as I was doing the test I totally forgot it! I was cantering along near C, had to stop and ask the judge what was next :oops: I saw some pics from the test and my riding was awful :oops:
The second test I totally fluffed the timing on the changes. They are Ding's best thing but I was really off my game. So disappointed, came last and then just went home and swam in the pool. Should have done that from the start!!
It really highlighted just how much I need to prepare more and concentrate on doing the best I can when I compete. As soon as I get distracted by thinking about not going etc, or not being prepared well enough, I totally suck.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Mark has always been an edgy, hyper-alert horse. We succeeded at showing 2nd level, but not brilliantly. I believe our best score was a 65%. more often 60-62% (Oh noes, we wouldn't be able to do a freestyle!). A big part of the problem showing was that edginess. He'd be tense at most venues, but obedient, i.e., you could do the test, but there was almost always tension. His best rides were at a venue with an very airy lighted indoor arena with high walls that prevented much in the way of outside noises/movement to distract him. Now with the restrictions on his exercise, it's more of a problem. At his old barn, I did get him to the point where, short of a loose horse, bounding deer, or unexpected occurrences like that, he would stroll around the property on a relatively loose rein and relax. I guess we're just starting all over again (and will have to start over yet again next spring if I can find a place closer to home.) C'est la vie.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Flight wrote:I had a bad last show of the year. Nothing major just lots of little things. It was forecast hot, and there is no shade at the grounds so I was thinking about scratching. Ding doesn't go well in the heat - black, fat and fluffy. I was due to ride early afternoon so I plaited up in the morning and went and had some breaky. He rolled in the dust and his plaits were destroyed! What was I thinking!
Then the valve on the spare tyre had broken so took the chance with going with no spare. Had to try and fix the plaits when I got there, which made me only have 10 mins warm up and then as I was doing the test I totally forgot it! I was cantering along near C, had to stop and ask the judge what was next :oops: I saw some pics from the test and my riding was awful :oops:
The second test I totally fluffed the timing on the changes. They are Ding's best thing but I was really off my game. So disappointed, came last and then just went home and swam in the pool. Should have done that from the start!!
It really highlighted just how much I need to prepare more and concentrate on doing the best I can when I compete. As soon as I get distracted by thinking about not going etc, or not being prepared well enough, I totally suck.

I totally go to rank beginner mode when I focus and over ride or get too caught up in details like cleaning my pinto white legs. Its annoying.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:31 am

-First, let me say: Go Kiwi! (and go Queso, he who will learn) That's quite something for both.
-Hots4Spots, I hope in time your guy settles. He does just sound like hot spotty stuff! I appreciate that you want to do right by him, even as you wish for some other options.
-Fingers crossed for Laddie being sane and sound

I have been practicing riding in a very busy (but big) arena with very green big horses (who have ? steering and brakes). Em has been doing fairly well, especially considering how miserably damp and chilly it has been (her ideal temp is 85 and sunny; it has been in the 30s and misty or rainy). We chase the young ' uns a little bit and also just do our own thing.

The best thing I'm doing lately is sitting like a buddha with very quiet close hands and shorter reins---and NOT DOING ANYTHING ELSE with the hand. I use my sitbones/shoulder blades as needed to put her back on the bit, but no fidgety fidgety. Emi approves. I even went back to the loose ring bit (instead of the D ring) and there is little difference if I behave myself. We do have a clinic in a week or so (bit clinic), so we'll see if Em picks the most expensive bit available. That is what I expect! :lol:

Flight, I would trade those hot conditions for my Mediterranean girl, but I totally get how sometimes events are just at the wrong time for all. It is humbling, but please don't be discouraged. Showing is really hard work! Enjoy the pool. Keep Ding out of the pool :-)

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:17 am

piedmontfields wrote: I even went back to the loose ring bit (instead of the D ring) and there is little difference if I behave myself.
Why did you move from the loose ring to the D? Was she too busy in the mouth in the loose or was there a connection issue? I have my mare in an eggbutt. I had various reasons for buying that bit, but now I am wondering if she may go better in the loose.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:12 am

It was a suggestion from a trainer I trust (to go to an eggbutt). But the bit she has been going well in (novocontact) only came in a D-ring so I tried that. My mare generally hates French links, so I was at a bit (excuse me) of a loss for ideas.

I feel like the D ring is a bit "stiff" for lack of a better word. I also don't like how the rein catches on it sometimes. It is very clear for steering, but steering is not really my mare's challenge. Steady connection is the challenge. I also prefer that the loose ring gives me better feel. Really, she goes about the same in both if I ride properly! lol

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:37 am

piedmontfields wrote:Steady connection is the challenge. I also prefer that the loose ring gives me better feel. Really, she goes about the same in both if I ride properly! lol

My horse's bridle was in the house so I put a different bridle on him the other day. It had some kind of a Myler snaffle on it, which was a little narrower than the eggbutt french link I normally ride him in. I thought he took a better contact with that bit so I switched bits and put the Myler on his bridle because the throat latch was too short on the other one. But then I rode him in the Myler again yesterday and didn't think there was any difference, after all.

I'll switch back and forth a couple times, and probably throw his old loose ring back into the mix at some point too, because I'm curious about whether the bit actually does make any difference to the contact.

And now I'm thinking that maybe he was reacting to the tighter throat latch or bridle rather than the bit?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Did Tsavo ever find her dream horse? Haven't "seen" her around lately.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Ponichiwa Tsavo was banned from the board because of her posts re acupuncture. Congrats on your scores with Kiwi! and yeah on Queso:) Nice to have a good minded young horse for sure.

I tend to like double break snaffles, sometimes loose ring (my favorite is a KK) and sometimes eggbutt, though for a young horse a D ring can be useful (similar to a fulmer or full cheek action). I am going to have to do some bit searching since it seems that Joplin is pretty mouthy and the eggbutt snaffles sit funny on her that I've tried. Right now have just been WIH off the caveson. Still NQR on the RH though the leg looks great, not sure what is going on. My holistic vet is going to have a look at her this week and if she stills has something going on I will take her back to my regular vet. Rip will be due for his check up scope here soon anyway. She looks a bit off occasionally mostly with the RH on the outside. One of those am I really seeing it deals.

Not getting much done regularly. We have had rain rain and more rain. Dry yesterday, got Rip WIH, dry today and tomorrow before rain moves back in Thursday night. Hope to work all 3 today and tomorrow see what Jo looks like.

I did have an interesting ride on Juliet last week. She is coming along very well, excellent lunging WTC showing good balance and relaxation, listening beautifully (no SRs) good WIH and very interesting ride. She is a very forward kind of gal, whose balance wants to be more on forehand and we have been really trying to get her to shift more to the HQs/ hind legs. I have been concentrating on trying to get her to listen to my seat for better balance with mixed results. Sometimes good but also would get heavy and a bit strong in the hand. So I decided to try a bit different tactic and step more into the stirrups see if that would ground her hind legs better. I was amazed (her owner was too) at how well that worked!! From the hip down I pressed my weight into the stirrups which really helped to stabilize my seat better and Juliet really stayed on her hind legs, I was able to ride much lighter with my hands and she was a complete pleasure to ride (very much a first). Riding straight lines and change of direction across the diagonal no issues. I will be interested to see if this tactic will continue to work and if her owner can recreate it (she is not a strong rider and is tiny). Thought this might help some who deal with the more forward type horses (not something I am used to!) and is not something I bring out very often. Though might be a good thing to test out on my not so forward horses, see what happens with them.

Happy riding all to those who are able, jingles for the horses and riders who are out of commission.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 pm

RP had his dental appointment today. And sure enough the back of his mouth was a mess. She said it looked like the last person who did his teeth never went beyond the front set. And that it might have been quite some time since he had a full mouth dental. There were several uneven ridges in the molars and some bad hooks all the way in the back. Before she started she noticed he was very locked in the jaw (nearly impossible to move his mouth side to side)--which fits the difficult mouth feel he's had. After she was done floating, it was much easier for her to move his mouth. She suspects that it might take some time for his jaw and poll to relax, but she was quite confident that the jaw and poll tension I'd noticed was a result of the mess in his mouth.

She also noticed that he was still very reactive to ulcer points--more reactive than a horse who's had 30 days of treatment should be. So, I'm upping his dosage for now.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the mess in his mouth was the cause of his explosive moments. And I'm excited to work him again (both under saddle and on the lunge) to see the difference the dental work will make.

MM on the other hand has been a real grouch the last few rides. I can hardly blame her--the weather has been awful--unusually cold, windy, and very, very wet. And she's been pretty stiff, especially in the canter. Hopefully we can schedule a lesson soon to help us get back on track--speaking of which, she might benefit from some time in the BOT sheet as well!

Return to “Dressage Training”