The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Is it too soon to start?

Titanium. Consistent connection, fluid transitions.

Kimba, collection and mediums improved and introduce flying changes.

Self, lose ten more pounds. Be fitter for walking and riding. Ie dont ket winter scuttle my exercise time.

Ryeissa

Re: The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:43 pm

oh, sheesh. (thinking....thinking.....)
will update soon. I had a great last 8 weeks.

blob

Re: The last sextal (bi month) of 2018. November, December goals and training orogress

Postby blob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi! I'm going to join this month's goals thread, even though I'll be out of town for 3 of the 8 weeks. One of my two will get the time off and the other I probably need to find a rider for.

MM (9 year old, 2nd level, starting to school third):
Increased shoulder adjustability/control (would love exercise ideas)
More consistently in front of the leg
More uphill balance in medium trot (will try raised trot poles)
Continue working on changes (no specific change related goal, just some kind of progress)

RP (6 year old, green, pre-training level):
Consistent tempo and contact
Consistent feel on both reins
Bending lines
Put on some weight!
More canter work on the lunge to build strength and balance

Me:
Work on building back core strength
Eat less sugar (bad time of year for this...)
Make time to ride even when it's cold/dark

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:25 am

I am in this time, but just barely.

I will aim for getting Rocky rehabbed. She has had 2 months of just walking and now I am adding trot. I will add more trot gradually, and in three weeks if she is still sound, I can add some canter. I am hoping for her to be ready to get back to full work by the end of this next two months. Then I’lll have the vet recheck her, and then give her another month of work at home before I start lessons on her again. She gets worked harder in lessons than at home, which is why the extra month. So, start lessons again in January...gee, that seems like a long long time. At least I will be taking weekly lessons on Mystique, the school horse. I’m getting kind of attached to her. She nickered last week when she saw me. I give her apples ;)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:57 am

My goal is to get my final horse. Given this thread covers only 2 months, I put the chance of meeting my goal at about 5%.

Another boarder has two horses older than my horse and will retire them at some point. She will get a third horse but wants to keep all the horses at this barn. We will be running out of stalls if she gets anther horse and I get another horse. As much as I love my horse living in Goatback Mountain, I asked if my horse could move to the adjoining property if the owner there, a friend of my BO, loses her old horse and needs another horse for her young one This neighbor is a very nice person and was thrilled to know she had another horse who could come there when she loses her old horse who is 30 I believe. This property is beautiful with a giant pasture and I could literally watch my horse as I ride the new one.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:28 am

I'm hoping to have Annabelle back in action after her vet appointment on 11/7, but will probably be taking it fairly easy for most of November.

Get myself more fit while I'm not in the saddle as much.

Keep playing with Baby T on various things, do some simple ground-driving.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:39 am

Well I have more than a few personal challenges to juggle, mostly aging adults, one in hospice; so, my goals are brief:

Junior - compete at our first recognized show, participate in another Heather Blitz clinic and improve our connection and willingness to come through over the back ...... oh and continue to build up our strength and stamina, hopefully by riding a min of 4 times a week. We shall see.....

Ace, the mustang, continue to tune him up 3 times a week so he remained the most awesome trail horse ever.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:18 pm

I don't know yet. Clinic this weekend, where I will get my homework for the winter, no doubt!

I'm a bit tired and burned out. May have an easyish November and take it from there.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:22 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I don't know yet. Clinic this weekend, where I will get my homework for the winter, no doubt!

I'm a bit tired and burned out. May have an easyish November and take it from there.

I so know this feeling.

Is there some fun cross training that you can do to give you a mental break, but still keep fitness/stamina going? Maybe trying something new like working equitation?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:52 pm

I wish this was my goal. I'd be NAILING IT.

blob wrote:RP (6 year old, green, pre-training level):
[snipped]
Put on some weight!

My crew and I are in. Looks like there may be some new-to-the-thread "faces" around here, so here's a quick rundown of who we are and where we're headed:

Kiwi, 2007 GRP, consistently schooling somewhere between 3rd/4th:
- Flying changes are in season. By the end of this, I want to be nailing consistent 3- and 4-tempi changes without the extracurriculars that we currently have (maybe just a bit too much "expression")
- Clean up the collected/medium/collected trot transitions
- School 1/3 pirouettes 1x/week

Queso, 2013 QH, super green-broke:
- Longe 1-2x week in side reins to introduce contact
- Ride 4x/week
- Canter transitions: by the end of this I want to be able to strike off on either lead at will.

Me, ahem yrs old, who even knows what level I am:
- Lose 8lb by my birthday (early Dec)
- Ride 4-5x/week
- Work out on days I don't ride
- Smile more

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Once winter sets in we are a bit isolated, Blob, so not a lot. I think it's that realization that makes me go "oouff."

We'll be all right after a swift kick up the bum from Ms. Rosencrantz this weekend :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:16 am

I've started flying changes with Norsey, so get them going over these 2 months.
Ding - better pirouettes, keep working toward levade.
Me - lose that 5kg!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:07 am

Ponichiwa wrote:Me, ahem yrs old, who even knows what level I am:

You are FEI. You took a fourth level horse and brought him up to GP.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:52 am

Tsavo wrote:

2nd when I got him, but that was ~10 yrs ago.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:57 am

Ponichiwa wrote:
Tsavo wrote:

2nd when I got him, but that was ~10 yrs ago.

Ah sorry about that. I didn't remember correctly there.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Flight wrote:I've started flying changes with Norsey, so get them going over these 2 months.
Ding - better pirouettes, keep working toward levade.
Me - lose that 5kg!

Would love to compare flying change notes/exercises/etc. I started them recently with my mare and they have been a challenge for us.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Hoping to be able to join in on this one but Pal is having some trouble adjusting to the dryness and dust here so we've been taking it easy. I'm also unfortunately wondering if I need to do some saddle shopping. I feel like I'm jabbing my seat bones into the saddle all the time no matter what I do to the point of actually having tender seat bones for several days. I've been thinking this might be necessary for a while but didn't think it was this bad. I guess all the time off gave me back the feeling in my seat bones or something. Definitely not comfortable for me and I'm sure it's not comfortable for Pal either.

Anyway assuming we'll get to join back in at some point riding goals are:
Remember how to ride ( :lol: )
Maintain the lightness off the leg that she developed during her time with a pro
Polish our canter-walk-canter
Work toward a better response for transitions within gaits because I think it's a more attainable goal now that she doesn't ignore my leg so much

Goals for me:
Lose the weight I gained since moving
Start doing my ab and glute exercises again for the benefit of my hips
Continue going to the gym at least 3 days a week (I started that a little over a month ago)

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:32 am

Ok I'll share some vid of our first proper attempts at flying changes. So, when i've casually asked, he is always late behind. He gets anxious and wants to run away.
I did some work like Dresseur explained she was doing with Miro and within one session he started to do some clean ones but only right to left.
Left to right started with him leaping in the air and running off, nearly taking me through the fence, so the first one in the video, although late behind, was a big improvement.
It was interesting as he went from being together behind and then starting to step through. The last bit was today (second session) and he did one dodgy change then this one clean. It's hard to always feel that late behind thing though, might need to train my partner to come and be my eyes on the ground :) Obviously a long way to go yet! I need him to stay straight and calm etc, but I'm not too worried and I think he'll get there.

https://youtu.be/fFX7V_V5h3I

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 am

If I ever get to flying changes my plan is to get someone with a very good eye on the ground so that they can yell "yes" whenever he changes so that I can reward the good ones immediately. My plan is to start with PK's method, in which he asks for the change from counter canter on a big circle.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Flight, changes look like they're coming along nicely!

I've been working on them longer and have them in a much worse place, ha!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:28 pm

My goals:
-ride regularly
-improve my sitting trot
-go for walks more often
-plan in some leisure time somewhere in my chaotic week (!)

Goals for the horses: move Jet plus/minus Finn (or Pan) to an indoor facility now that winter is looming.
JET: keep him as fit as possible, strengthen his low back & base of neck.
PANACHE: I don’t know. I think I need to sell him. He has become a pasture puff! I can’t find time to fit in riding 3 horses anymore which makes me sad, but I have to be realistic.
FINN: get cantering under saddle (he has with the trainer, but not with me yet) after moving to the indoor facility.
SAWYER (daughter’s QH lg pony): he’ll move to the indoor, too, and my daughter wants to keep working towards showing at Training Level next season.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

MaryC
Novice

Postby MaryC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Jumping back into the fun! After chasing some NQR problems for most of the summer, we've got a newly injected stifle and SI, and the hind legs are back in a big way. We didn't show this year so that I could confirm MY fourth level chops (my mare will do whatever I ask, but I don't ask enough). I am a bit put off by the 3 changes across the diagonal. One's just peachy, but I get tight as we go and get bumped out or lose the connection. That's my goal for Nov/Dec - make them a complete non-event. Any zen insights would be welcome!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 pm

-Ride consistently with appropriately short reins
-Continue with harder strength-building work
-Get back into flying change work with my "new and improved" seat and her improved reactivity
-Keep mare and me warm!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:20 pm

I have a few issues. Trainer leaves for Florida on 12/1 and I'm on my own for 4 months. When he returns, not even sure if he will return to my area. Mare developed a sarcoid on the left right where the girth goes. It's been there a couple months unchanged. Vet wants me to put on Xxtera cream. That's going to mean at least 2 weeks out of the saddle. I'm trying to hold off until Winter to do that as the riding weather right now is so good. I have a third problem too, but I don't even want to think about it now.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:21 pm

A place to keep my horse, not too far from home, not too expensive, with a covered arena.........I've struck out at four places already - too full or too expensive. Hitting the road this weekend, in search of....a "unicorn" barn?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:33 am

musical comedy wrote:I have a few issues. Trainer leaves for Florida on 12/1 and I'm on my own for 4 months. When he returns, not even sure if he will return to my area. Mare developed a sarcoid on the left right where the girth goes. It's been there a couple months unchanged. Vet wants me to put on Xxtera cream. That's going to mean at least 2 weeks out of the saddle. I'm trying to hold off until Winter to do that as the riding weather right now is so good. I have a third problem too, but I don't even want to think about it now.

I used Xxtera cream on a sarcoid on my young mare Kaira. It worked fabulously, but it was a real mess, i mean a huge wound that eventually healed perfectly. I hope it is not as big as Kaira's was, and that it heals well. WIll you ride bareback or just avoid riding?
Last edited by Chisamba on Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:48 am

Rip:
Continue with piaffe diagnolization in hand, SW. Continue with FC work (started them under Cedar, Rip is not so keen on them) going to ask a H/J friend to help me with him and FCs. Keep up with the lateral work in canter counter bending to HI to HP etc. Ask more in lateral work in trot.

Joplin: will know more after next week's trip to the vet.

Gaila: came back from the trainer a bit of a mess. Having to put weight on her, will have to get her feet redone (so out of balance she is at risk for collateral ligament injury) sometime next week, have her seen by my acupuncture/chiro again, WIH only right now.

Juliet: Continue riding her some and helping her owner with her. Owner trotted US the other day for first time in awhile (on a line). Found a lovely BC saddle that fits owner and Juliet well. BC Elegance hoop tree. Beautiful saddle.

Gallie: get the old girl out a bit see how she looks now that is has cooled off.

Me: continue with weight loss. Would love to be down another 10 lbs in a month. Trying a new system with menus and work out program.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:04 am

kande50 wrote:If I ever get to flying changes my plan is to get someone with a very good eye on the ground so that they can yell "yes" whenever he changes so that I can reward the good ones immediately. My plan is to start with PK's method, in which he asks for the change from counter canter on a big circle.

That would be ideal, if you have someone help you out.

I've only trained/training 2 horses for flying changes but I'd suggest having a couple of ideas of methods to try. What worked better for one horse, wasn't so great for the other!

MaryC - I was the same for my changes, and struggled to get the counting right. I say keep practicing! I think it was Chisamba that said don't avoid the hard stuff - I kept thinking that and managed to do the PSG test without errors.

MC - It's hard when you lose your trainer. I've used xxtera cream (and other stuff) to treat sarcoids. They can be hard to get rid of. Hope yours works and I hope your third problem you can sort out ok too.

HOt4Spots - fingers crossed you find your unicorn barn!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:42 pm

All right! I'm feeling energized after a really good couple of rides with Mette.

I think I may finally have my left hand under control and I've got lots of stuff to work on. Relative straightness and bending around my inside leg, not just bend in the neck, were some of the themes for the weekend, along with collection in the canter. Because we've been working so hard at home it was easy to follow instructions and get what she wanted, so everyone was happy. Watching the video, I can see I've come a long way in the past few months.

Laddie was a complete rock star, very focused and responsive--especially as the barn we were at was a complete fun-fair yesterday for our session--vaulting lessons going on at one end of the arena, therapeutic kids lessons in another corner with running and screaming small children waving lunge whips around, herds of dogs, cats popping out from under the bleachers... I think he was too overstimulated to decide what to spook at. I realize we are rather spoiled at our peaceful little home barn!

So we will continue down the path we have been following, as it seems to be reaping rewards and moving us towards the goal of correct flying changes without drama and without drilling the old man to death.

I've got a lesson with Melissa Cresswick in three weeks, which should be interesting--a judge's perspective for a change.

I've kind of decided that we only have a limited time left to do this, I'm not rich, but I'm not broke, so I'm going to seize every worthwhile opportunity that presents itself to me and go for it. And, bless my dear husband's heart, he is of the same mind. He's pushing for me to load up and head on out to work with Mette in CA this winter (She's moving to San Diego in January to work out of Arroyo de Mar, which is really exciting for her. and it's only a 10 hour drive from here...) However, it's not so easy to leave the farm, and work, and stuff, so I'm not getting too worked up at the prospect.

MC, I'm sorry, you sound rather down. I hope you can find some solutions to your problems. I've used Xterra on an ugly wire scar and it helped a lot. It's hard when you are doing something deliberate that will make something worse before it gets better though. Wishing you well.

H4S, keep us posted on the barn search. What a pain. I hope something lovely and unexpected turns up for you.
Last edited by Moutaineer on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:06 pm

Updating my goals to include figuring out what's going on with RP.

He's my new, green one and thus far he's been coming along in the right direction. I've been trying to get weight on him before upping our work too much. So he's been getting lunging time, light riding time, and just some general pay attention and get more comfortable ground work that isn't physical work, but is mental work. He's nervous by nature, but one of the things I've liked about him is that even though literally everything worries him, he will always turn to me first and he's not quick to react other than to stop/hesitate.

Well... that all changed today. I mounted up today and after doing our typical game plan of waiting for a minute (he came to me with the habit of walking off as soon as a rider swung up, so now we work on mounting up and waiting calmly). And all seemed fine. We started to walk on and he went straight up in the air, came down, straight up again, and started broncing. I landed on the mounting block (ugh) and he continued to bronc around for awhile until I could settle him down and catch him.

I put him on the lunge and he went up a few times during the course of lunging him, dangerously close to sending himself over. Eventually he settled some. I got on, did some walk and trot. Got off, got on again, walked a few steps, got off (repeated once more).

I have no idea what happened to trigger the whole thing. He's never done anything like this before or even a tendency towards it. I palpated his back carefully after and no reactiveness.

I've witnessed his reaction to a wasp sting while I was riding and it was nothing this explosive. It also doesn't seem like there was any real environmental trigger and it's so different from his normal fear reaction.

He doesn't seem to have any of the other kissing spine symptoms. So I'm hoping that's not the case here. But whatever it is--physical or behavioral--I'll need to get to the bottom of it and hopefully without hitting the ground again. Sigh.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 pm

blob wrote:
He doesn't seem to have any of the other kissing spine symptoms. So I'm hoping that's not the case here. But whatever it is--physical or behavioral--I'll need to get to the bottom of it and hopefully without hitting the ground again. Sigh.

I get the same kind of thing every now and then, with lots of rearing and leaping but not as much bucking as it sounds like you got. I have no real idea what triggers it--or at least I'm not sure because I'm not sure what his motivations are. But, I'm much more careful now than I was in my youth so have always managed to get off (without his assistance) before he really gets going.

My horse has always done it though, and does it on his own time, too.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:56 pm

We had one in the barn that did that, Blob. Nice horse, easy to deal with on the ground, generally been easy to start. Owner bought a new saddle (Western) got on, and ended up sitting in the dirt. It turned out after much heartsearching and exploration that there was a sharp nail sticking out of the underside of the saddle that when he turned just right or the weight in the saddle was just right, stuck him in the back. I'd start by looking at something like that before I started worrying about kissing spines or anything.

Ouch, though. that would be really unnerving and you are a braver woman than I for getting back on again. I hope you aren't too sore today.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:37 am

kande50 wrote:I get the same kind of thing every now and then, with lots of rearing and leaping but not as much bucking as it sounds like you got. I have no real idea what triggers it--or at least I'm not sure because I'm not sure what his motivations are. But, I'm much more careful now than I was in my youth so have always managed to get off (without his assistance) before he really gets going.

My horse has always done it though, and does it on his own time, too.

It's hard for me to know what is normal for this guy, which is part of the challenge. He's new to me and the person i bought him from had also only had him for a couple of months, so she didn't know a lot either. I'm hoping this was some kind of fluke thing because it does seem out of character, but admittedly I don't know his character that well yet. If he ends up making a habit of it and there's no physical cause, then I'll have to train to solve for it. Because it's not something I'm willing to deal with on a regular basis.

Moutaineer wrote:We had one in the barn that did that, Blob. Nice horse, easy to deal with on the ground, generally been easy to start. Owner bought a new saddle (Western) got on, and ended up sitting in the dirt. It turned out after much heartsearching and exploration that there was a sharp nail sticking out of the underside of the saddle that when he turned just right or the weight in the saddle was just right, stuck him in the back. I'd start by looking at something like that before I started worrying about kissing spines or anything.

yes, I also suspect that KS is not the culprit here. I know of something like this happening before on a very quiet horse that was explained by the vet as probably something suddenly pinching a nerve in the horse's back--it happened once and never again. So, hopefully it's something like that.

I'm def starting to feel the aches setting in. But I think I need to try to make it to the barn tomorrow to do something with him. I don't want this sitting around in his memory too long. So, I will probably lunge in tack and see how he goes, and then if he seems ok, I'll try to get on to just walk around.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:48 am

Hell yeah! We're BACK! We earned all blues (though admittedly we were the only open riders in two of my four opportunity training level classes). It was a huge win, not for the ribbon, but for the fact that Junior was so obedient and tried extremely hard to please for the most part. He got tense and lost submission occasionally but from beginning to end of each test he tried to give what was asked. I'm so proud and please with this guy I delivered 4 years ago.

Last edited by exvet on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 am

Looks fabulous exvet

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:44 am

Exvet - how wonderful to compete on a horse you bred yourself and did so well. You must pleased as punch.

My post is a kind of end of an era/chapter beginning of a new one. I did a pleasure ride last month and an indoor trec comp. absolutely loved both. Did a long post on October thread which I accidentally deleted pre posting hence mentioning them on here!

Shandy coped well with the pleasure ride despite awful weather with most the route makers washed away, plus a route Marshall sending everyone the wrong way- I ended up with a platoon of riders following me as courtesy of Trec I can read a map!

We went to an indoor trec - obstacle and control of paces. Despite lack of practice as last indoor trec 4 years ago, plus we turned up early to find classes running early so 45 mins to view course, tack up and warm up turned into just tack up and get in there. Pony showed her great memory coping with s bend, rein back, ditch (tarp) etc with aplomb. We came 4th in novice horse and second in newcomers. I really like trec and like dressage you get a judges sheet with feedback, obstacles are judged on effectiveness, style and or gait taken. Great fun and my thing I think.

So, some changes a foot more in door Trecs provided it’s not too icey to tow, lots of long hacks at the weekends to get Shandy super fit so next year when it’s hay fever season hopefully she will cope with pleasure and short competitive rides as well as outdoor Trecs.

Did consider selling Shandy to buy a “proper” long distance horse but discovered my hips can only cope with hacks of upto 20 miles plus I would need a crew to do more than 30 miles a day and I like not having to beg favours.

Alll happy really which is unusual!

I have added photos from the ride (dreadful position due to new saddle I have returned as couldn’t balance on it) and after trec - none of trec comp as my photographer/elderly mother took one look at my flustered warm up and got back in car. She greated my handful of rosettes with the motherly and supportive comment “that’s astonishing “
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:13 am

I'm committing to no-stirrups-November, and my irons have been completely removed from my saddle. I want to do an ungraded show early in December, my first outing since my neck injury 2 years ago. Oh my goodness I can't believe it's been 2 years...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

demi

Postby demi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Beautiful Exvet!! In the canter pics he looks like a German Riding Pony! All the pics are good but I especially like the last of the 3 pics you posted on the young horse forum. In that pic he has quite an expressive front end without losing the engagement in the hind leg. It’s especially nice considering he’s so young!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:58 pm

He looks great Exvet, that is a fancy canter!

Greenholme - glad you are enjoying trec with Shandy. Sounds like fun!

Annabelle was looking sound on packed dirt yesterday. I hopefully didn't make a big error by turning her loose in the indoor arena last night. At first the vet said 10 days of stall rest, and then recanted and said 14 - well, we made it to 11 days, and she'd had a week in before the vet visit, so hopefully it was enough. I felt like she needed to start slowly back into moving, and at least it's a little more of a controlled environment there. She reared, bucked, and did other things that made me cringe, but it didn't go on too long. Vet on Wednesday and hopefully she'll be cleared to come back to work.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks y'all. I am very pleased with him. Congrats on finding a new avenue/venue greenholmeshandy. My son and I got into obstacles/trail competition when he was actively riding and competing. It was a blast and like you we got great feedback from the judges along with scores per obstacle. What was really nice is they posted the judges' cards after each show for everyone to review. It really gave us an opportunity to evaluate what they were really looking for and what to focus on in our training. Please keep us posted on your progress. I am considering going back to it with my mustang. He really is born to do it. Our competitions were usually 10 - 12 miles max - just really pleasant and fun.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:44 pm

]Greenholmes, so glad you are having fun with your horse!
Blob, that's scary - I hope you get to the bottom of that soon, and without getting hurt. I have zero trust in horses that screw around after or during mounting, that's when the rider is most vulnerable.
SF, hoping for good news from the vet for you!
Exvet, I've loved following your work with your ponies - job well done!
Mountaineer, I'm looking forward to clinic reports!
Chisamba, you've been sharing a lot of great stuff - thank you for that!
Anyone else who I've missed, it's not intentional, I read it all. I've been meaning to add to some other threads, but have had zero energy while I get over this damn plague from traveling!

Miro - vet basically said he must have knocked the hell out of himself and possibly wrenched his hip - nothing major, no infection, just will take a little time. He's already looking better - So once he's good to go, we're full on back to changes.

I do have a goal these two months for my student's horse, Charm. I've talked about him here and there, but we've gotten to the point where I need to put schooling rides on him - not for misbehavior, thank goodness - but because I need to keep him ahead of my student. So, my goal for him over the next two months: A decent shoulder in. MAYBE the starts of haunches in. Clean up his canter so that it's easier for her to ride. He's disconnected and has a big canter, so he needs to be pushed together a bit. The good news is that over the past 8 rides that I've put on him, his canter has significantly improved. Trot/walk transitions need to stop diving. He's a master at dropping his head and neck with her. So, basic goals that will make a huge difference in his rideability for her.
Here's some videos of him. I find that I have to keep him slightly deeper than I'd like, but with the kissing spines issues, whatever keeps him happy. I also have to stay a bit lighter in my seat - as he gets stronger, I do feel as though he'll be able to be sat on fully, rather than having more of my weight supported in my thighs as I do now. Also, his trick in the canter has been to throw his head up, slam on the brakes and try to intimidate the rider, so yes, I'm taking some harsher feels on the inside rein from time to time - there is a zero tolerance policy for him grabbing rein, but what I like is that I can do that, and then let go and send him forward as opposed to him slamming on the brakes and acting like he's going to rear.
https://youtu.be/yyp9GUApvGQ
https://youtu.be/D52-CXsdT3Q
https://youtu.be/cqE0x4OaKdw

IMG_6064.jpg
IMG_6064.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 21519 times

IMG_6049.jpg
IMG_6049.jpg (137.37 KiB) Viewed 21519 times

[attachment=2]IMG_6049.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
IMG_6063.jpg
IMG_6063.jpg (184.55 KiB) Viewed 21519 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:54 pm

wow~ really nice work! if there are issues you cover it up, he looks fun to ride. Nice contact, I don't see him too deep here. If he goes a wee bit deep I feel that you add enough energy and push to the bit that he can still have connection.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Rye - for the first time, this horse IS fun to ride, and even more importantly, he's enjoying himself. A year ago, my student and I were discussing selling him because he was angry, and in my view, borderline dangerous, and she's by and large a beginner. I advised her to go hunting with the vet before we made a final determination, and that's when we found the kissing spines. Based on that, we spent the better part of the year in a longing program, getting him to understand that 1, forward means GO. NOW!!!!! 2, when I touch the bridle, you can't throw your head up, and 3, that moving can be fun. His top line has transformed, and so did his attitude. A work up a few months ago revealed that the muscling was actually pulling the spinal processes further away from each other. He will occasionally try his old tricks, but now when he does, it's not scary because it's not angry, and it doesn't escalate. But, there is still a zero tolerance policy in effect for him and we are very careful to not let him do anything that jams his back (ie, throwing his head and neck up, or working in a hollow frame.) I joked yesterday that I was going to steal him from my student! :lol:

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:10 pm

I really like him, he reminds me a lot of Miro, which is a complement.
Is he a TB? I know several with kissing spines

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Yes, he's an OTTB. I forget how old. 5-6? I'll ask his owner what his JC name is. Funny thing is, when he's going well, he actually feels really amazing. If he gets his act together, I could see him easily doing 3rd level.

Edited to add: Shemps Boy is his name. A 2011 model. https://www.pedigreequery.com/shemps+boy
Last edited by Dresseur on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Exvet, what level did you show? He looks lovely!

Straightforward, glad Annabelle is on the up and up. I tend to agree that some movement is good for them, if only we could explain to them that they're only allowed to stroll around gently!

Mari, you're better than me! I can never convince myself to go stirrupless unless someone is making me. Plus I justify to myself that I spent enough years jumping without stirrups that I've earned them! Though it would definitely be good for me.

Dresseur, so glad to hear nothing serious with Miro and that you have something fun to ride while he heals!

MaryC
Novice

Postby MaryC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Flight wrote:I think it was Chisamba that said don't avoid the hard stuff

I love this! OK, that's the real goal for November and December!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:50 am

Blob - we were just competing at training level. He's only 4.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:15 am

exvet wrote:Blob - we were just competing at training level. He's only 4.

No "just" about it! He looks great. And show goals are show goals

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Really appreciate all of the updates. If I don't comment on you/yours, I am still reading and enjoying your notes!

-Flight, thanks for sharing some video of Norsey working on changes. Wow, that is a different challenge to figure out than Ding! Super helpful to watch.
-Mountaineer, I'd love to read more about your clinic/lesson insights if you have the chance. Sounds like lots of good progress is happening.
-Exvet, Junior looks wonderful! I look forward to more notes and photos.
-GHH, what a great report. Glad you are having a fabulous time.
-Dresseur, I enjoyed the Charm report. I have ridden a few horses like him :-) It did strike me that it may well be a gradual process to bring him into straighter alignment, in order to avoid any "freak outs". I have no doubt you have it in hand, but there is something that reminded me of going through that with another TB.
-Blob, be safe and good luck figuring out what is going on.
-Jingles to all who are healing up! Make smart choices, horses, and heal quickly and thoroughly :-D

Emi and I did our first ride under the lights last night, thanks to the time change. She was a gem, despite the glistening puddles and liverpools scattered about the ring. Mari, I am game for some no-stirrup riding. I do like doing this during winter, as we do so much more arena riding that time of year that it is fun to mix in different kinds of practice.

Return to “Dressage Training”