Things you will never be able to do & Problems you will never be able to solve

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Things you will never be able to do & Problems you will never be able to solve

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:23 pm

It's the time of year where I think about this question more (damp, cold, challenging for miss PSSM mare). I'm in a bit of a funk as we were on the verge of much better work and are now grappling some with comfort and management. Some of this is me, as I do notice her struggles. Probably a more determined trainer/rider would push her through....but that approach has also failed quite a bit in her past.

Linden, the last time I mounted a 17.1 h horse from the ground was on a trail ride about 17 years ago. It is etched in my mind as a major equestrian achievement! lol It was a lovely chestnut Trakehner mare that reminds me a lot of my current mare in temperament and character. I could not repeat that mounting feat today (and admit that if I need to mount away from a block, I use a slope if possible on a 15.2 horse).

p.s. For the equestrian achievements record, I would also like it to be known that I mounted a potential lease horse who was another 17.1 Trak in front of his owners in a flat field. They were awed. My DH (who went with me) was awed. That was about 15 years ago...never to be repeated...only re-told. :-D

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Re: Things you will never be able to do & Problems you will never be able to solve

Postby Dresseur » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:07 pm

KootKat, for me at this point, it's a guts issue... I used to do some dumb, dumb things - got close to 5' with horses that shouldn't have done it. But also got tossed enough times by some bad actors that I started to develop fear and defensive riding habits to fences. At this point, I haven't jumped in 5-7 years and can't even fathom wanting to jump again.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Dresseur wrote:KootKat, for me at this point, it's a guts issue... I used to do some dumb, dumb things - got close to 5' with horses that shouldn't have done it. But also got tossed enough times by some bad actors that I started to develop fear and defensive riding habits to fences. At this point, I haven't jumped in 5-7 years and can't even fathom wanting to jump again.
I never got anywhere close to 5', but when I look at some of the things I've jumped, I cringe. I didn't even start eventing until I was in my 40's. I was pretty brave back then. Here jumping with one hand on reins, left hand using whip, and in a postage stamp saddle. Better yet, this mare I bought when she was 4 and she had no x-country experience nor did I.
Attachments
waterjump.jpg
waterjump.jpg (39.02 KiB) Viewed 7242 times

demi

Postby demi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Wow, MC. I cringe just looking at it!

(That mare looks like my Emma!)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:24 pm

That is a classic photo, MC, and you and the mare look utterly composed.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:20 pm

musical comedy wrote: I never got anywhere close to 5', but when I look at some of the things I've jumped, I cringe.

I now cringe at a lot of what I did when I was young and fearless, and am grateful that I survived it and got to a better place. I'm sure my horses would be grateful too, if they had any conception of what their lives could have been like. :-(

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Dresseur wrote:KootKat, for me at this point, it's a guts issue... I used to do some dumb, dumb things - got close to 5' with horses that shouldn't have done it. But also got tossed enough times by some bad actors that I started to develop fear and defensive riding habits to fences. At this point, I haven't jumped in 5-7 years and can't even fathom wanting to jump again.

Dresseur - This was so not aimed at you, it just gave horsey context to the point.

Being closer to 70 than 60 now, I do get reality. But a tablespoon of dreams/desires will get you places can't/won't never will. Call me Polyanna. :D

What a beautiful mare, MC.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:26 pm

MC - great photo! I hope you have it framed too. Love the postage stamp saddle LOL!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:54 pm

MC, that's a fantastic photo! I'm laughing that you also call that a postage stamp saddle - after a few years of straight dressage - I sat in one and couldn't believe I had ever been comfortable :lol:

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:03 pm

MC that is a great photo! If you were like me (I evented through training and schooled Prelim) coming up to a drop jump I had a mantra: sit back and let the reins slip!

blob

Postby blob » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Boudicea wrote:At this point I think it would take an act of god to get a real medium out of my horse LOL. Not to say we haven't made improvements in that area but I just don't think he has it in him nor do I have it in me. I'm not really heart broken over it. He's really good at collected work and a blast to ride so who cares. It's given me a chance to learn a million different techniques to improve the extended gates.
You are not alone. I believe some horses just do not have what I call 'range' in their gaits. No matter how well they can sit and collect, they just can't do a very good medium. I agree with you "who cares". I guess someone showing cares, but since I don't anymore, I am resigned to be happy with what my horse is able to give me.

I'm also in this boat. I do show, but I figure my mare has other strengths, so even if I get 5s (or even 4s) on my medium/extended trot, I can get higher scores in other movements and still end up with an overall score I'm proud of.

Return to “Dressage Training”