Having Sticker Shock: How much do your trainers charge at a show

A forum for discussion of training in dressage

How much do your trainers charge at a show? Rough estimates.

0-50 per day
38%
50-100 per day
19%
100-150 per day
3%
150-200 per day
9%
200-250 per day
3%
250-300 per day
3%
Over 600/weekend
No votes
plus expenses
25%

Total votes: 32

HafDressage
Herd Member

Having Sticker Shock: How much do your trainers charge at a show

Postby HafDressage » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:36 pm

It's hard to create a poll for this, but I'm going to try. Please feel free to leave comments with details. I'm trying to gauge what is "normal."

You can select more than one poll option because I know many trainers charge a fee + expenses. So, there you can select both an estimate of the charge and "plus expenses." Also, I know many charge per ride, but I'm just trying to get a rough estimate.

Thanks!
Last edited by HafDressage on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angela9823
Herd Member

Re: Having Stick Shock: How much do your trainers charge at a show

Postby angela9823 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Mine only charged a normal lesson fee IF they were at the show. The trainers would normally be there for multiple people.

kcmel
Greenie

Re: Having Sticker Shock: How much do your trainers charge at a show

Postby kcmel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:34 pm

Same here. I've only been to one show with my dressage trainer (I usually go with my event trainer) but she charged the same as for a lesson + a training ride for coaching me in two classes and riding my young horse in 2 classes.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:47 am

Mine would rather be boiled in oil than come, so I'm on my own...

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:59 am

Mine also charges a minimal fee, not even a lesson fee unless I actually have a lesson. I sometimes do this the eve before the show.
She makes it up outside of the shows as she's my 'new best friend' lately, I train w her at least once a week.
sign me not house but horse poor!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

WBLover
Greenie

Postby WBLover » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:31 pm

I only have my trainer coach me if they are at the show with me. I usually do only one class, and it's a lesson fee for each class and no travel expenses since she is there. I ticked the $0-50 for that reason.

KathyS
Greenie

Postby KathyS » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Mine charges pretty much a lesson fee, and she is generally at the show anyway with her own horses & other students.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:56 am

My trainer's policy is $100 per day + expenses split among riders.

Which seems totally reasonable... except the part about...

500/weekend + expenses for riders going alone or with only one other rider.

So, that caused me some sticker shock and now I'm feeling like that is way too expensive to go show given that I seem to be the only one wanting to go to a show currently. Of course, I could go without a trainer, but without a trailer and with the disapproval of my trainer, I feel a bit like that isn't an option. Also, it's not a huge barn in terms of the number of dressage focused riders, so at most I can only picture there being 2 or 3 people showing at one time. Not to mention, that I don't believe in spending unreasonable or excessive amounts of money regardless of whether I can afford to or not.

So, in sum, I just wanted to gauge what was normal to understand how annoyed to feel about this policy. :lol: Also, it always helps to vent. :)

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:56 am

<y trainer is starting out on her own professionally. I am honored that she believes that she will benefit by being seen at shows as my trainer. Hence she is charging me for a lesson to coach me at a show. I consider myself very lucky!

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:24 am

HafDressage wrote:My trainer's policy is $100 per day + expenses split among riders.

So, that caused me some sticker shock and now I'm feeling like that is way too expensive to go show given that I seem to be the only one wanting to go to a show currently. Of course, I could go without a trainer, but without a trailer and with the disapproval of my trainer, I feel a bit like that isn't an option

So if you go without your trainer you will have her disapproval? :( That I would have a problem with, mostly because it promotes an unhealthy dependence on trainer. That I don't like in any form, but then I've never shown with onsite trainer support.

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:12 am

Fatcat wrote:
HafDressage wrote:My trainer's policy is $100 per day + expenses split among riders.

So, that caused me some sticker shock and now I'm feeling like that is way too expensive to go show given that I seem to be the only one wanting to go to a show currently. Of course, I could go without a trainer, but without a trailer and with the disapproval of my trainer, I feel a bit like that isn't an option

So if you go without your trainer you will have her disapproval? :( That I would have a problem with, mostly because it promotes an unhealthy dependence on trainer. That I don't like in any form, but then I've never shown with onsite trainer support.

Ditto.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 am

I go show...the only show I have ever taken a trainer to (or even worked with the trainer on site) was the Arabian Nationals. I figured I was already breaking the bank and I might as well do it up well. Mind you, this was 35 years ago. I think the two of us made the week long trip (Idaho --> New Mexico) for like $2500 (I also had him haul the horse so shipping is included in that amount). Checked one thing off my bucket list :D .

I hate relying on a trainer. I am very competent to manage my own time and warm-up so I go show if I want to. I do my homework in the lessons beforehand and usually have a ride-a-test lesson in my last lesson prior to the show. That allows me to really know the test and my previous instructor was excellent at helping me through the sticky parts.

Susan

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:33 am

Unfortunately to go to a show trainers are often giving up income they could have made by teaching lessons or clinics over the weekend, so they want to make sure they are getting enough income to make up for what they miss and for any clients they may lose of perpetually gone at shows on the weekends. If they have several students showing, they are making the $500 that way. If they only have one student, unfortunately that person has to foot the bill if they want the trainer there.

If it's a very local show (within 30 minutes of trainers home), then I'd think the trainer could pop over to warm you up for a lesson fee plus some mileage. But if you are planning a two day show and needing trainer to trailer you and be there the whole time just for you, yeah, that's like concierge service level and you have to pay a lot for that.

You should still go, even without trainer, and have fun and learn to be on your own. You could even approach other trainers who are there to see if you could hire them to spend 5-10 minutes with you as eyes on the ground in warm-up.

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:59 am

Only had a trainer present at a show once, and because she was there with other clients and had some free time she helped me warm up for free :). Pretty amazing!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:05 pm

It does depend on how many riders, horses, coaching and classes.

A trainer may be giving up 500 to $800 worth of income a day because weekends are your income building days, depending on lesson fees and number of lessons.

So unless most students are going, it's expensive.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:56 pm

Chisamba wrote:A trainer may be giving up 500 to $800 worth of income a day because weekends are your income building days, depending on lesson fees and number of lessons.

Every trainer's gotta charge what they gotta charge, but disapproval if students opt out because they don't feel that the service is worth the price?

Although it' is possible that the trainer wouldn't actually disapprove because she can make more money if she stays at home, but the student is just worried that she might?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:45 am

Kande, as usual vib have no idea what you are talking about. What did I disapprove of?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:11 am

Chisamba wrote:Kande, as usual vib have no idea what you are talking about. What did I disapprove of?

Not you, the OP's trainer. It's an added detail in a later post.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 pm

I found the comment, still do not understand why quite me, and not the comment.

I personally do not insist on going to shows with my riders, if they wish to go out alone I am happy to help them prepare. If course I also do not sign the trainer part of the entry. I may discourage a solo show outing if I feel the horse and rider are not ready.

Showing is expensive, I was simply explaining why a trainer might price her show fee high.
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:52 am

Chisamba wrote:It does depend on how many riders, horses, coaching and classes.

A trainer may be giving up 500 to $800 worth of income a day because weekends are your income building days, depending on lesson fees and number of lessons.

So unless most students are going, it's expensive.

I don't disagree with this principal, although it 1. doesn't apply to this barn where on a busy Saturday maybe 4 lessons are taught and there are never lessons on Sunday and 2. I think it's a bad business practice for trainers.

Now, granted I think people can charge what they want for their weekend time even if it isn't because they are giving up lessons, but I have to say this amount seems a bit extreme.

Now in terms of whether this is a good practice for trainers, I think it is penny-wise pound-foolish. I think trainers need to go to shows to have successful students and thus attract more students as well as to help fulfill the goals of their current students to ensure their long-term happiness/commitment. It is no wonder, in my eyes, based on some of these practices that most horse trainers struggle financially.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:33 am

My coach never charged separately for show weekends, but weekend lessons included in training or half training were not rescheduled. As well, she would not come to a show for just one person. There needed to be at least two or more, and we always included her in our pot luck lunch, but she did not have to bring anything. My friend's coach charged a regular lesson price to come and warm her up for her classes, but only if she was able to fit the timing into her Saturday lesson schedule. She would accommodate as much as she could, but sometimes it just didn't work out.

Return to “Dressage Training”