The *Perfect* Dressage Horse (Physically). Your Examples?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Linden
Herd Member

The *Perfect* Dressage Horse (Physically). Your Examples?

Postby Linden » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Just a light thread. I've been thinking a lot over the years of what physically makes the perfect dressage specimen. Form vs function, etc. What/who say you? from angles to size to breed to weight. Love to have some debate
"Fix things going forward." LR

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The *Perfect* Dressage Horse (Physically). Your Examples?

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:46 pm

I think that's a tough one. I would say that for me the following is most important BUT I think my criteria can still come in many wrappers. My one other caveat is that I still look at the horse as a whole and realize that there will always be those who defy logic/don't read the textbooks and I do NOT rule those out.

1. Horse's overall conformation/stature can be divided in 3 equal thirds - fore, mid and back piece.
2. The angles of the shoulder and hip (femur) must demonstrate a high degree of motion being possible including sitting well under (hip) and reaching well in front (shoulder). I want to see the appropriate use and articulation of these joints at liberty/play.
3. I far prefer a higher neck/head set.
4. Long length of rein (longer neck) - still keeping in mind my #1 criteria.
5. Well set on hocks of appropriate angle with very good depth of bone for the overall size and structure of the horse.
6. Feet = appropriately sized for the horse. I like a well shaped hoof that is not too small and demonstrates good concavity of the sole and well formed frog with solid walls & bars. Before anyone starts debating how man (farriers) affect this, keep in mind I deliver my mounts or I primarily purchase 2 year olds or younger.
7. I want a mount appropriately sized for me - not too big, nor too small. I've ridden the full gamut/range and my sweet spot is 14 - 15.2 hands depending on the barrel size of the beast.
8. SOLID MIND, SOLID MIND, SOLID MIND - I can handle ponytude, self-preservation, and demands of a horse/pony that I must first earn their respect and trust - if fact those are the qualities of personality I prefer. I demand of them to be sensible and bold. If they give me that, I can handle just about anything that comes our way.
9. Gaits - pure with plenty of shoulder freedom (since you said ideal) BUT a must have with that is a back mover who can and will use their hind end because without a strong engine the rest has no where to really go.

Breed? Oh come on.....it's about type. I've been trying to breed the 'perfect' sport welsh cob. I don't want the too heavy. I don't want them too 'tight' between the ears (which just translates to too tense over the back) but I do want them solid with a sense of presence. I prefer more baroque type with more cat-like agility and elasticity of gaits. I prefer a more 'refined welsh cob' in some sense; but, I still want them built like a brick shit house = a SOLID post on each of the four corners. I think I'm close.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:55 pm

i do not like a long neck, i find there is far too much natural tendency to swan or s the neck if its too long, i do not actually understand why people like a long neck for dressage. Not short, but absolutely not long.

i agree on bone, angulation, foot shape etc

i have come to alter my requirement to temperament first, i have now had two exceptionally talented horses who do not have the brain for it, or at least do not have the brain i would like to ride for it, so eager forward temperament but steady, and not very sensitive.

I have also turned against naturally uphill builds, if the horse is so naturally uphill they do not actually learn to sit behind and the real collected work becomes spidery rather than rhythmic. I have also learned that i do not like the fashionable huge long slow stride, so normal length of stride attractive gaits, level to ever so slightly uphill build. what i would have loved two decades ago is absolutely not the horse i want now. mostly because i have gained some wisdom

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Just to be clear, my appropriate length of neck is within the realm of the front third of the horse must be in equal proportion to the mid and back thirds. Imo this prevents too long of a neck. The swan neck type which I also prefer not to deal with is also affected by the conformation of the throat latch not just length of neck. I do not like a horse that is too lightly defined in the throat latch area or lacking space between the jowls. This also causes some challenges. That being said I've dealt with my share of stallions that are very thick through this area so in the realm of the ideal I prefer to avoid that too.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:40 pm

Interesting topic! However, I think the perfect dressage horse also has an outstanding mind/trainability.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:38 am

I am always keen on straightness of movement, straight legs, great feet, and no extreme angles anywhere. I love to see a well conformed horse! And a solidly trainable mind (present, calm, willing) is very important too.

But not all movement is predicted by structure. Athletic expression (charisma, presence) is what can make a downhill looking horse move uphill, a ewe necked horse into a swan, and can let a horse put together out of spare parts jump with huge style, or extend with huge suspension. Too much and you're riding a time bomb though... tight backs, tense jaws and all.

So, beautifully conformed horses can move badly too. Personally? I value everything in this order:
1. A trainable mind
2. Conformation for longevity (straightness of legs, good feet)
3. Athletic expression
4. Perfect angles of hip, croup, shoulder, and neck, optimal length of back and so on (things that could affect gaits, but might not), clean throatlatch, beautiful tail, etc.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 am

Last edited by Ryeissa on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:15 am

OP asks for 'physical' qualities of the perfect dressage horse. I can't argue with what sport horse judges view as important. Here's Hilda's list:

-High set neck
-Thin throat latch
-Big enough mouth
-Intelligent, alert eye
-High muscle topline
-Good shoulder
-Flat knee
-Short cannon
-Straight walls, nice heel
-Free elbow
-Good withers
-Good muscling over loin
-Moderate back length
-Long, angulated hip
-Nicely bent hock
-Even hips
-Good muscling in gaskin and thighs

So, I would like to have all of the above. First of all, even with an unlimited budget, such a horse is not easy to find. Secondly, if I did find it and could afford it, I may not be able to ride it.

When I look at a horse for me from a physical standpoint, there are things I like and dislike that could have no bearing on whether the horse is going to be a good dressage prospect. Top of my list is a smooth topline with no nooks and crannies. I like a pretty head with a big enough eye. I don't like any gawdy markings. If they have socks, then it has to be either two front or two hind; not just one. No irregular blaze. I prefer horse with a lot of bone; big joints. (However, that is not what I ended up buying). Like a few posters above me, I would take a shorter neck over a longer one and a shorter back over a longer one because I find the shorter neck/back easier for an AA like me to ride. A horse I buy has to be pretty, but I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:42 am

I like a higher set neck but not so high that it affects their use of their backs, I like a short coupled strong loin and long hip with good low set hocks good angle to the hind leg, big feet solid bone, good angle to the shoulder, a bit of withers so that the saddle fitting is not too much of a nightmare, I like a supple moving horse with 3 solid gaits with an emphasis on the canter. I want one that is not so one sided and a good mind. My personal preference is for a sensitive but sensible brave horse. I like the look of many of the Iberians at least the ones with a stronger loin and good hind leg (some can be quite crooked behind) or many of the WBs. I like the suppleness of movement that the WBs bring but the more sensitive and quicker hind leg of the Iberian.

http://www.eurodressage.com/2018/02/20/ ... o-stallion

This is a spectacular moving Lusitano stallion though he is a tad bit short and thick in his neck and typical Iberian noble head.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm

I quite like Riccione, except f ou r his looong neck.

https://goo.gl/images/CTFHyB

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Chisamba wrote:I quite like Riccione, except f ou r his looong neck.

https://goo.gl/images/CTFHyB

There's 2 very nice looking horses there! :D

His feet look a little suspect IMHO.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:34 pm

I find Riccione too upright in the front pasterns for me. We do live in an area of hard ground...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:27 pm

I would enjoy seeing your examples.

Yes Riccione also had pastern problems, I find so many warmbloods do.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Here are some I like the look of, based mostly on angles and how balanced they are - front and back. I prefer a longer hip and a shorter back. None are perfect, and this is only one photo, but if we're going strictly on what conformation an individual finds pleasing, vs the reality of their athletic expression and trainability, I find these guys nice to look at :D

Glamourdale

Formidable:

Cobra 18

Connaiseur

All At Once

Cupido

MysticOak
Greenie

Postby MysticOak » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:30 pm

It is much more about brain then conformation! I've been to several symposiums on conformation, and interestingly, the horses that seem to have the "best" conformation all end up with more soundness issues? I don't know if that is because they are pushed harder, or if that "too uphill" build ends up creating problems, or if the bigger movers just have more wear and tear?

I've seen many VERY NICE Warmbloods that just flunked out of dressage because they didn't have the mind for it - once they were asked to compress and elevate, they became very resentful. And I've seen some pretty "interesting" conformation that ended up being very competitive. So for me, it is much more mind then conformation. The horse has to WANT to do the work and WANT to work with the rider.

Of course, a well set neck, a free elbow, good legs, a strong loin, good angles all help. Also good width - too narrow and the lateral work is very difficult. Too wide and they are less manueverable. And good length - too long and they are harder to collect, too short, and they are harder to bend. Ideally, you get the Goldiloks horse that is "just right". But I still think it is more about the horse's willingness and desire the it is about their build.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm

As a slight spinoff (sorry, not meant to derail!), I think there is perfect and then of course there are non-negotiables. And I've found that while on paper, both my lists might be long, when you ride a horse, often lists go out the window.

When I got my mustang, I adopted her off a few pictures online. Not conformation shots, just whatever pics they could get. But it meant for the first time i had to rely soley on lists and conformation rather than movement, brain, rideability, etc. I looked at a lot of mustangs for a long time and it really fine tuned the process of what was a nonnegotiable for me. Of course these are not sport horses, so conformation varied greatly, but it was an interesting and telling exercise for me.

Neck set ended up being one of the most important things for me-- I think it's often what separates dressage horses from other sport horses. But I've found, that in many ways my horse's good neck/shoulder conformation makes her harder to ride correctly. It's easy for her to look right even when she's not using her body fully. So, I'm not sure I would prioritize it in the same way in the future.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:26 pm

blob wrote:Neck set ended up being one of the most important things for me-- I think it's often what separates dressage horses from other sport horses. But I've found, that in many ways my horse's good neck/shoulder conformation makes her harder to ride correctly. It's easy for her to look right even when she's not using her body fully. So, I'm not sure I would prioritize it in the same way in the future.
I look for nice necks too. It's true than many have the 'on the aids' look because of their neck conformation, but they are not over the back and through the neck. Judges are even fooled by this. If the horse has the right look and good enough gaits even when not through, they can score well.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:04 pm

I find three of your suggestions,Xan, to be just as upright in the fetlock as Riccione, and one too long. Imho

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:33 pm

I think Cupido is but the others I like. As I said, none are perfect.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 pm

I really like Glamourdale out of this group. What's his temperament like?

khall

Postby khall » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 pm

I like All At Once with the exception the neck is a bit too long and light for my taste especially in a stallion. I also like Glamourdale with the exception of his front pasterns which I agree look too upright but not horribly so. Love his neck. The others are either way too upright or way too light in the loin/hip for my personal taste.

I tend to like sturdy built horses, not the lighter type that has been the rage in the WBs lately. When they breed them for the more square look, leggy and upright neck the horses tend to have hi/lo issues. I don't mind the older style WBs, big feet big bone.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I really like Glamourdale out of this group. What's his temperament like?

He has Negro in there, and the Negro babies I have known of (including my own) are incredibly personable and easy to work with. I like Negro's conformation too, so he's another option.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Xanthoria wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:I really like Glamourdale out of this group. What's his temperament like?

He has Negro in there, and the Negro babies I have known of (including my own) are incredibly personable and easy to work with. I like Negro's conformation too, so he's another option.

As much as I Love Connaisseur, he's a local star, Of this group I also love Glamourdale. His back is a tad shorter and his neck is more proportional
"Fix things going forward." LR

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Sidebar. Why are so many top stallions nowadays black?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Black is/was stylish? Coveted? It just seems like phases. This is an interesting topic and discussion

I am no breeder or expert. I will just share that I have liked a lot of Sir Gregory offspring in person. So I looked him up:
http://www.dreamscapefarm.com/HorseDetail.aspx?ID=383

I don't love him looking at him. Interesting that Sandro Hit is behind him (sire line), as I have seen many "Sandro Hit" advertised offspring that I seriously do not like (in conformation or temperament). Yet, the Sir Gregory offspring look pretty balanced and seem to have a stunning temperament and aptitude for the work. Jeremy Steinberg is training one, as is Cyndi Jackson in AZ, and I'm sure many others (you could find videos searching on that info).

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:56 pm

The one Cyndi is riding is a stunning mover. My SO was mesmerized at the last show watching him go.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:02 pm

I've known two Sir Gregory offspring and I really liked both of them as far as personality looks and movement. I didn't ride them so I don't know how they felt but they sure were nice to watch and easy in the barn.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Sidebar. Why are so many top stallions nowadays black?

I noticed that too. A lot of imports coming from Europe are black as well. I think black horses are more of a "dream horse" color, intense, etc. Could be trendy or just genetics playing out-- I don't have anything to do with it so it's all a stupid guess.

(and easier to clean!)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:03 am

Ryeissa wrote:(and easier to clean!)

Trust me, they aren't!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:20 am

Moutaineer wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:(and easier to clean!)

Trust me, they aren't!

well, I had a dark dark bay and now a white legged pinto..... in my eyes, no comparison..... :roll:

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 pm

My EX father-in-law was a horse trader (quarter horses and grade working western stock) and he as well as the reining trainer that lives next door and flips horses weekly claim that 'black' is the easiest horse to sell. I always had people calling me for palominos or buckskins, not caring about much else. Junior is a very dark bay and during the winter looks close to black. I've had more than one seasoned individual assume he must be a german riding pony. I must admit I like the color but wouldn't purchase based on it. Some of the pictures posted here, however, have me wondering if I should just break/crack and buy a 'real' dressage horse. They are impressive.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Well I might be biased - I did an image search for warmblood stallions of various breeds and mine is a black Negro baby so that probably slanted my choices!

That said there aren’t a lot of WB stallions who aren’t bay/black/chestnut. I looked for good photos of a few other breeds that also might have other colors (eg Saddlebred, Akhal Teke - Kambarbay, Cleveland Bay - Tregoyd William) and either their breed standard won’t work for most, their conformation stance is unlike a WB one, or the available photos aren’t good enough, so I gave up pretty quickly. I couldn’t even find a nice shot of a TB stallion that I really liked to add to the mix to be honest, and I love a good TB.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Xan - You definitely have a type! :) I think Glamordale was my least fav of the bunch - looks over in the knees on both front legs, but perhaps it is just that picture.

I am also of the shorter neck camp. I don't like a long back and I don't like a long neck. I also don't think a thick throatlatch is bad unless it's so thick that it causes breathing issues.

One thing that I've learned should be avoided like the plague is straight hind legs. Most of the horses I've seen with very straight hind legs have developed bone spurs in either the stifles or hocks. So, that is a big deal breaker for me.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Besides brains and trainability, I like a high set neck too. :)
I personally don't mind a little bit of an upright pastern (think 50 degrees rather than 45). I think it sometimes correlates with the more open shoulder/elbow/forearm angle that give a horse more shoulder reach and freedom. I like seeing the front leg coming out of the very front of the shoulder (more like Connaiseur and Cupido above, although they all have pretty good angles).
I also don't kill them for being a little long, I'm much more concerned they have a strong loin connection.
But like some have said, although we like to think form follows function (or at least soundness) when talking conformation...that is not always the case, so it is important to look for that 'athletic expression'...ie. the horse has the motor skill and coordination to produce an athletic and adjustable gait and power.

Riccone is lovely, but does look a little clubby on front left?

Tough to find a Saddlebred stallion stoodup like a sporthorse for comparison, but here is a current pic of a 2 yr old gelding.
Attachments
2 yr old ASB.jpg
2 yr old ASB.jpg (168.1 KiB) Viewed 20176 times

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm

CB that is a lovely ASB. While often their conformation is not what I am usually drawn to, I still love a good ASB and when is correct work that conformation changes!!

Xan here you go: What I would consider to be an excellent eventual TB sport horse sire (his gallop was just phenomenal!) While not picture perfect conformation we all know his history

https://coolmore.com/farms/america/stal ... an-pharoah

I do believe this guy is putting sport horses on the ground:

https://coolmore.com/farms/america/stal ... hi-pegasus

I too love a good TB. I have become a bit soured on the WBs and their temperaments. They can be challenging, especially the ones with jumping lines. I still love their looks especially the ones with the older style, but have obviously branched out from them now going Iberian.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
Ponichiwa wrote:Sidebar. Why are so many top stallions nowadays black?

I noticed that too. A lot of imports coming from Europe are black as well. I think black horses are more of a "dream horse" color, intense, etc. Could be trendy or just genetics playing out-- I don't have anything to do with it so it's all a stupid guess.

(and easier to clean!)

I do think it's a trendy thing-- as well as a trait that's pretty easy to predict (black is a recessive color trait that has known DNA markers and follows typical Punnet Square patterns if there isn't anything crazy going on from the color modifier side), so is relatively easy to breed for.

I was looking through the licensed Hanoverian stallions list and before I got to the bottom of the As, something like 60% were either black or dark brown. Yes, I'd need to get through the whole list to make sure that it wasn't just a line breeding thing, but it does feel like breeders are aiming for dark, impressive horses.

/sidebar.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:I do think it's a trendy thing-- as well as a trait that's pretty easy to predict (black is a recessive color trait that has known DNA markers and follows typical Punnet Square patterns if there isn't anything crazy going on from the color modifier side), so is relatively easy to breed for.

I was looking through the licensed Hanoverian stallions list and before I got to the bottom of the As, something like 60% were either black or dark brown. Yes, I'd need to get through the whole list to make sure that it wasn't just a line breeding thing, but it does feel like breeders are aiming for dark, impressive horses.

/sidebar.

sidebar x 2- yeah, makes sense. I wonder honestly why people don't like chrome- I mean you guys all put white polos to dress the horse up and I don't have to. :lol: I thought chestnut with chrome would be a bit more popular- there is Quaterback....? anyways, interesting discussion. Also, I live in a bay world, even after all this time i can't tell what horse is which at my barn.

And GOLD horses, now there is the jackpot....very rare indeed. :!:

khall

Postby khall » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:40 am

Here you go Rye! A golden boy:)

http://frozensemen.com.au/quasi-gold-md/

and by Quaterback!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:58 pm

khall wrote:Here you go Rye! A golden boy:)

and by Quaterback!

Queso is my dude.... :lol:

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:12 pm

I can't blame you...

I honestly have never had a horse that had perfect conformation for dressage (even *gasp* Queso, but I'm not telling him that!). What makes a dressage horse for me is that they're sound, they're willing, and they're athletic. Sometimes that matches their conformation. Sometimes it doesn't.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:26 pm

khall wrote:Here you go Rye! A golden boy:)

and by Quaterback!
That horse is gorgeous!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:46 pm

shhhh don't tell Riot.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:15 am

I agree MC and he can JUMP!

I love Quaterback offspring, have been watching them for several years now (2008 I think was the first year I ran across them). In searching for Quaterback stallions this guy popped up. His dressage movement is not quite as good as some I've seen but dang that guy has some tight knees. Not surprising since Quaterback has both dressage and strong jumping lines. My one breeding regret is not breeding to him. His semen has been easy to get here in the states for a long time, but I was always leary of frozen (a good vet is so important for frozen).

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 pm

This stallion caught my eye because of the TB look and breeding. He shares some of the same pedigree as my deceased TB. Now I would select for myself the large ponies and really like Welsh.

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=11716

MysticOak
Greenie

Postby MysticOak » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Josette wrote:This stallion caught my eye because of the TB look and breeding. He shares some of the same pedigree as my deceased TB. Now I would select for myself the large ponies and really like Welsh.

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=11716

I think he looks more modern WB type. He does have some "pure" Thoroughbred close up with Prince Thatch - this is the only "conformation" shot I can find of Prince Thatch - he had quite a good neck and shoulder, which some Tbreds lack.

Princethatch.jpg
Princethatch.jpg (10.57 KiB) Viewed 19960 times

Return to “Dressage Training”