2019 Test Clinic with Hilda Gurney at LAEC

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Red's Mom
Novice

2019 Test Clinic with Hilda Gurney at LAEC

Postby Red's Mom » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:47 am

Hi, is anyone here going to the clinic at LAEC on December 1st? If so, we should meet up!

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: 2019 Test Clinic with Hilda Gurney at LAEC

Postby Sue B » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:18 pm

No, but how are you doing? Are you able to ride yet?

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:57 am

Hi Sue! Yes, I am able to ride, but I am working back up to where I was before the fall. For me, the fal lwas a real set back as I have mental blocks or PTSD from all the falls I have taken over the last 50 years. We were at a point where we were cantering easily, and I was scheduled to take Red to a show all by myself (with my husband) in a few days, before I fractured my pelvis. Now, I have to work myself back mentally to that confidence level. All I can say is that I have the right horse for it. He is a young OTTB, but he has a dream temperament. He is willing to go forward, but not spooky and he always seems to be smiling! How are you doing? You took a fall as well. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and that you, your family, and all of your animals are doing well.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:48 am

I'm not going but I got to ride with Hilda during one of the AA USDF symposiums. Her perspective and analysis is more than worth the value of the cost to attend. I wish I could go and audit. I'm sure I would gain more information to add to my tool box. I hope all that attend have a fantastic time and appreciate the wealth of information gained. I don't subscribe to all of her beliefs but I still value her incite. Have fun! Red's Mom, I'm betting you'll have a fantastic time and it sounds like you have a gem of an OTTB. Pictures are warranted!

MysticOak
Greenie

Postby MysticOak » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:21 pm

We have a similar symposium in Nor-Cal on Feb 2 with Sue Curry!

Has anyone LOOKED at the new tests? I think they are a major improvement - 2nd level is less of a huge jump from 1st level, and 4th level test 3 is no longer a 20 minute canter marathon that makes PSG look easy!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 pm

MysticOak wrote:We have a similar symposium in Nor-Cal on Feb 2 with Sue Curry!

Has anyone LOOKED at the new tests? I think they are a major improvement - 2nd level is less of a huge jump from 1st level, and 4th level test 3 is no longer a 20 minute canter marathon that makes PSG look easy!

yeah, as someone in the 1st level 2nd level bubble I really like 1st 3- massive improvement. the other one didn't work, and many agreed with me. I really like all the 1st and 2nd tests.

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:52 am

I had a good time, and it was inciteful. Many of the tests are still the same. Training 3 is different and includes a 3 loop serpentine. I asked how you would do that in a small arena, Hilda didn't know and said it was a flaw in the test writing. I was amazed that many of the upper level demonstrators had a difficult time riding a 20m circle. Many of them were riding eggs. I was happy to see that they included at least one Thoroughbred.

Return to “Dressage Training”