Year In Review

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tuddy
500 post plus club

Year In Review

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 pm

Well folks, 2018 is nearly in the books! How was your year?!

My equine year was amazing. Except for the 2 month battle with the boogers that hopefully never, ever make an appearance again!

2018 was the year that I got back in the saddle. I had taken time off from (serious) riding to refocus and regroup and it was time well spent. I let go of the people who didn't support my decisions and instead decided to support myself. That, I think, was my major accomplishment.

I was able to get Yonka into a trainer and he learned some valuable life lessons. He is such a great horse. A little stinker, but man, he's is priceless. I am so grateful to have him in my life.

And Tuddy, oh boy, highlight of the year was getting back on that horse. I have no real words about that very emotional experience. I just know that he is my heart horse and always will be.

Next years goals? I reconnected with my very first riding instructor ever a couple months ago. We are literally sisters from another mister, we lost touch a few years ago, but, like sisters, we know we are family and are "back together". Depending on the job situation in the new year, I will be back into a consistent lesson program with her, and part of her all Canadian Horse Jumping team.

How about everyone else! Lets hear your Year in Review!!!!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Year In Review

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:49 am

This year was a roller coaster. I went into 2018 thinking that I would be getting Rosette, my GOV mare, back from the trainer and starting to ride her finally. Instead, I got a call to come get her and figure out if she had physical issues because she was still being unpredictable under saddle. I sunk $$$$ into her, and then finally made the decision to put her up for sale as a broodmare. In August, I traded her for a 2 year old Westphalian filly, and I am now in the trenches of horse babyhood again.

Meanwhile, Annabelle and I made a lot of progress through spring and summer of the year, after getting her over her ulcers, and moving to a new barn. We survived our first show of the year debuting training level with a 38% following an impressive display of rearing in the warmup arena. In October we redeemed ourselves with a 65% and winning test. Three days later, she fractured her coffin bone, which took several weeks to figure out. Now she is on extended stall rest.

Overall, it's been a character-building experience, and I think I am a better rider than I was a year ago, but it's definitely not what I expected back in January (is it ever with horses?).

I hope that next year brings me two sound horses, and that I can get back into regular lessons with Annabelle by summer, get Tesla W/T/C under saddle by fall, and avoid major vet bills for a while!
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:48 pm

This year I feel like I am finally 'back'. We hit all of our major goals for the year - first schooling show, first recognized show, first bath, first body clip etc and survived. Junior is certainly living up to his breeding and hopefully despite containing full ponytude will continue to progress. I am hitting some of the same stumbling blocks I do with all welsh cobs; but, this guy is truly built to do the job. It will continue to be my job to convince him of it. The mustang is still the best darn trail horse around and we continue to put tons of mileage on both horses using the nearby trails. I am pleased with where we are in our riding.

I'm only going to show 2, at the most 3 recognized shows next year and hopefully more schooling shows if my work schedule allows. My riding instructor was trying to convince me to go to the small horse/pony nationals at Lamplight this coming year but I cannot justify the expense for a pony that will only be training/first level. I had to cancel my last clinic with Heather Blitz due to my father's death but I hope to use what would have been my show budget for the clinics instead. I must say that I'm happy to have fallen in with her followers. It's been a nice change of pace. Hopefully I can post more reports on clinics next year. We're hovering with the whole being truly connected, accepting the contact aspect of developing the energy forward and recycling it so I guess you already know what next year's focus will [continue to] be.

Fortunately our health issues of 2018 have been injuries that have healed quickly. I hope all of our horses stay healthy and sound for the year(s) to come.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Good thread idea, Tuddy! Thanks for starting it.

The biggest event of the year for me has been being in a regular training program with a trainer that is right for me and my horse. I started with her late in 2017 doing weekly lessons and then backed off to every other week. She rode Rocky for a lot of those lessons which was exactly what Rocky’s dominant personality needed. She learned that the rider was the boss, even under pressure. She gave trainer some exciting rides (trainer liked it! Said it was fun!) before she decided trailer knew best. A month or so before Rocky got hurt, trainer mentioned that “the worst of it is behind us”.

Rocky learned to trailer this year. Since she was 3, I’ve been able to haul her occasionally when ever I needed, but when I started the weekly lessons, she decided the trailer was a BAD idea. Shortly after we started the lessons, I injured my shoulder from her pulling on it a few times in loading incidents. She would load ok at home, but after the lesson, refused to get in. Trainer said it wasn’t unusual, since she was pushing her mental limits during the lessons. She loaded her for the home trip for the next several lessons. I watched and took note and was eventually able to get her in with little drama after a lesson.

I got a lot of good advice and encouragement from this board about loading/hauling. One thing that made a difference was Mountaineers’s advice about trailer speed. I then quit taking her on the freeway, and went thru town instead, where the speed limits were 55 and under. Trainer didnt think it mattered, my gut feeling told me otherwise. Anyway, she is now a very dependable loader and hauler. I can continue avoiding the freeway until I start to show her and maybe by then the speed wont bother her.

Another big event in 2018 was getting my confidence back. 4 months ago Rocky tore a suspensory and during that time I started riding a school horse with trainer, on a weekly basis. It was my turn to get worked on! Over the years, I’ve had some serious injuries that gradually took away my confidence. I had gotten to the point of being excessively cautious in canter, thus doing very little canter. With the school horse, I was able to put complete trust in a horse again, and after a month, I really started to get my confidence back. After a month or so, I was back to good, forward cantering for a good part of my lesson. Now that Rocky and I have both been worked hard regularly!, I am excited to get back with the program on my own horse on a weekly basis.

I didn’t lose the weight I wanted but am not giving up.

I also didnt get Emma back in full work. I am more determined now that I am riding more confidently. Emma knows tempi changes and I would love to have her to learn them on. I’ve had her three years now and have ironed out (i think and hope) one of her biggest issues which is the serious fly allergies. When I first got her I had at least a year of very regular work with her and the rest of the time just once or twice a week, with no pressure. We have developed a really nice friendship and this will go a long way in started to train seriously. Having a great trainer will help, too, but I won’t start that until Em is in good physical condition. That could take all winter.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:55 pm

I have done next to nothing with my horses this year. They are lucky to see me on weekends, and I haven't really been riding (combo of injury, weather, lack of inclination, stress/other things to do).

The baby horse continues to grow. I need to do more with her, ie use that brain of hers so she isn't a terror. My old girl remains semi-retired and enjoys being ridden when I have the time/inclination (we just hack out and about - she's usually fairly bouncy and I often let her choose the way).

I have been nursing a back injury (most likely slipped/prolapsed disc) which is finally coming right, about a year on from when I probably did it. I dialed back on my 'weekend' trimming job (two client horses were put down, separately but similar timing, two moved away, and three more have just moved away also), though did just pick up one newbie at the same time as the other 3 have left. Lower numbers definitely helped back rehab (well, err, not relapsing).

Two weeks off from tomorrow so will be at home and have absolutely zero plans, so the horses will at least get brushed and a bit of groundwork/riding respectively.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Lots of big changes for us this year. The biggest of which was moving from Ontario to Nevada. When DH and I first decided to go for it I wondered if I should sell Pal instead of moving her from pretty much one side of the continent to the other but ultimately decided it would be a decision I'd regret and so started making plans to bring her along.

So we moved barns, twice, once was a small move to my coach's barn and the next was the gigantic move. She handled the big move pretty well though had some back to back issues resulting in extra time off. We're now getting back into a work routine and she's lately being very appy.. I mean obstinate :lol: Perhaps one of these days I'll figure out how to make her happy in her work.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:12 am

This was an unexpected horse year for me.

I got back in the show ring after a few years away and it was difficult and not especially rewarding, but it did focus my training and my goals.

I really questioned whether my mare and I were the right partners for each other and as a result made some big changes with her and also started looking at what else was out there. So, I ended up with a pony! If you'd told me a year ago I'd have a second horse, I would have thought it a ludicrous idea, but here I am, a two horse owner.

The pony has needed a good bit of puzzling through--his health and training have all needed some work and i'm still trying to figure out what all he needs. Through this process I also fell off for the first time in several years. But we've figured some things out and hopefully are on our way to getting him on a good track.

My mare's training has taken a turn for the better and she and I got out of the strange funk we'd been in. I still think she's harder for me to ride well than she would be for a different type of rider, but she has made me a better rider and will continue to do so. I have also realized how grateful I am for the tremendous amount of trust that has developed between us. And I think even if though we could probably both be more successful in the show ring with another partner, it would be very hard for me to give her up. And luckily, I don't think she cares much about scores or ribbons.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:19 am

I think you and Pal are a good pair, Imperini. She has had a lot of big changes and that would bring up training issues for a lot of horses and amateur rider/trainers. As Chisamba suggested in another thread, be kind to yourself, and take the pressure off for a while. I think you’ll figure out how to make her happy.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:37 am

Blob, I missed your post as I was posting another.

I love these stories of sticking with horses that are challenging. Aren’t they all challenging, really? Your mare, with her active hind leg is really a neat horse. You’ve done well with her so far and I hope to hear more good things in the future.

The pony will also be interesting to follow! I like figuring out complex horses (well, complex from and amateur’s POV) and the biggest thing for me personally, is to not have great expectations. I try to be happy with little steps. (That isnt such an easy task!)

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:51 am

Thanks Tuddy, it's a good time to reflect, near the end of the year. I'll add to the 'challenging horses' stories! Fergal and I made good progress when I had some time off work August through October, and he was ridden 4 to 5 days a week - reliably riding out (with a buddy), including cantering and popping over some small jumps. However, he had 8 weeks off when I was away for work, and despite regular handling (grooming, leading, feeding etc) by my SO, when we put a saddle on him the other day he bucked.... he is sensitive around his girth, and generally spooky and (over)-reactive. Today I hopped on for my first ride (after leading around, & very slowly girthing up etc), and as soon as he stepped off with me on board he bucked... I bailed, and rolled fairly well, got back on and proceeded to do a good hour session mostly walking, turning, halting, walking (initially led around by my SO), and ending with a good, forward rhythmic trot on each rein.

Looking back on the year we have come a long way (even though today felt like a step back!), from being an un-handled and un-ridden young boy to a mostly-confident and cooperative youngster. He will lead into the (dark) shed and turn around without panicking, he'll also walk up the ramp onto the truck and back quietly down, and ridden work is mostly reliable (despite today's experience...).

So, yay for summer here, and the next 3 weeks to do horsey stuff.

Much enjoying reading everyone else's summaries :-) Like Demi said above, I am happy with little steps.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:37 pm

by the numbers, this wasn't a "successful" dressage year. I didn't move up a level, I never did a dressage show....

I might have been even "backsliding"....

However, I did ....

MORE!

4 clinics
I learned to haul on my own
I started jumping
1 hunter jumper show- we won!
Longed over XC jumps/banks etc
gained a trainer, so now I have a few!
bought a fantastic new dressage saddle
Tons of lessons!

And we are STILL well on our way to dressage goals! We have better collection, more strength, and I am riding much better.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:40 pm

I, too, can chime in with a challenging horse! I've even dedicated a thread to mine (from 2016): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1408&sid=a1ab0c469bb7100fff3177b88b9b0d87#p22093

This year has had its triumphs and nadirs:
- We solidified the 3rd level work with Kiwi to the point of getting a decent score at a recent show
- Kiwi is now a rock-solid trail ride pony, unless there's a neighbor doing something weird
- Bought (and gelded, and started, and showed) a new horse, who has been the easiest horse to handle/train/ride
- Didn't get the weight loss I wanted (but still down 10lb since March...)

I'm looking forward to 2019.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:03 am

My biggest accomplishment this year has been finding Cedar to work with. So happy to be able to host her regularly here and she is developing quite the following. She's got Rip and I working SW in hand, now to transfer it to US. I am excited to continue to work with Cedar in 2019. Already have 2 clinics lined up in the spring.

I will have to say I am looking forward to working with Joplin who is not nearly as challenging as Rip is! As I sport a bruise on my hip from his shenanigans while I was WIH. I am sure I will still have challenges with her, she is a young horse! But I do think those challenges will be very different than those I have faced with Rip.

I have been contemplating this a bit this week, following KathyK's sale ad thread and losing Indy and the horse shopping Xan thread really brings it home to me how much I appreciate working with a horse that has good try and is safe. I like and appreciate a good minded horse.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:41 am

It's been a rebuilding year for us. Laddie really only came back into full work after his stifle injury at the end of last year, so we've had to build a lot of fitness and muscle back. He looks better now than he ever has, but it really has taken the year of focused work.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to ride regularly with a really good "home" trainer--someone who I have wanted to work with for years but never managed to make the connection with--she now comes to our barn most weeks which has been great. She has helped me inestimably with my position and lots of little detailed stuff that has vastly improved our overall picture and way of going.

And in addition I've been able to ride with Mette Rosencrantz several times. She's a consummate horsewoman and thoroughly decent human being as well as being a trainer I really click with. I hope to have many more opportunities to ride with her.

Showing has been a bit of a mixed bag. I got some surprisingly low scores and some really very respectable ones. I think I've learned from both, even though some of it was a bit humbling.

So now I have a fit, happy horse who is in front of my leg and eager to work, and I think I've become a more thoughtful and effective rider with a much better seat and hands, so onwards and upwards--tempus fugit and all that, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:24 pm

This has been a year of refined understanding of power, straightness and connection. My short summary would be I am now totally into using power to solve straightness and connection! I'm no longer worried about reactivity---I love it! And I can go back to relaxation very quickly. And I do realize that I still haven't tapped out my little mare on performance or learning. Today's ride was yet further evidence of that (awesome!)

I also had the pleasure of participating in a few clinics (Jeremy Steinberg, JJ Tate, Kim Gentry) and observing days of others (Charles de Kunffy, Suzanne von Dietz). All really reinforced the power of position and clarity of communication to me.

I learned a lot this year, even though in some ways things were not obviously different. HP is way less of big deal to me now, especially in trot (canter is easier). Counter canter has expression. Trot has more cadence. Really, I'm very pleased, especially because Miss Mare (who is 16 1/2) is sound, happy and ear-flopping in her work.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Tuddy, excellent thread!

This year for me has been wonderful, even though Miro decided to end the year with a literal bang to his hip. :cry: :x
I learned so much by having the opportunity to ride for Andrea. I shored up basics, found holes in my understanding or execution, and started down the path of learning how to ride multiple horses, not just mine.

Miro, while down and out right now, had a very full year - we put together most of the 3rd level work, including his first changes, and I'm so excited for what the future is for he and I once he gets better.

Overall, it can be easy to focus on the negative, especially with the bad luck towards the end, but when I look over everything that we've learned and accomplished together, I am a bit in wonderment that I was even given the opportunity to do such a deep dive into riding and learning. I wish I could do more.

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:03 am

Funny old year for me in many ways, some newish disciplines tried and a lot of growing up on my part-at 54 years old :oops:

Having bored many to tears about wanting to do long distance on an Ayrab, I have done two short long distance rides on Shandy pony. Loved it but sadly my hips/pelvis didn’t and time wise I don’t really have any spare time for the fitness required. Plan is to do short rides for variety and fun next year.

Did one outdoor trec orienteering 15 km first day, control of paces and obstacles the next day. Enjoyed it but was very ill with chest infection second day. All credit to Shandy as I just steered she did the obstacles including water in and out, s bend etc herself. Enjoyed it but it doesn’t have the wow factor any more for me. I liked doing at as a pair, solo is quite hard work! It is also very expensive averaging out £250 per comp with entry fees, fuel etc. I was near over drawn every month I did a lot of Trec comps. Finances improved massively with out it!

Tried and qualified for British Dressage Associated championships with Shandy but lost my Dressage mo jo and gave up the discipline.

Started doing breed specific shows with reasonable success in hand and ridden , so plan to do more this with Shandy next year. I’m luckily fairly central to reach some good show centres. Shandys son meanwhile has won a prestige National showing championship against all breeds which has given me confidence about showing her. Just have to ride and produce her as well as his owners do!

I did qualify for a big showing annual championship but didn’t go as listened to “friends” who said it wasn’t worth the effort, then went and entered the classes we would have been in - learning point, ignore others!

Found a new discipline concours de elegance which is basically ridden showing in a lovely historic costume. Watched one show and though “oh combines two favourite hobby’s , dressmaking and riding”, so plan to try that next year as well.

Have realised the issue I had with dressage and other disciplines is that 1. I focus too much and make a big thing out of doing this or that and rob it if fun, 2. I haven’t been well on the edge of diebetes and it’s really effected me so on a diet recommended by my doctor. Feel much better and more able to focus - sugar in both food and wine seems to muzzy up my mind.

Also finally realised how perfect Shandy is for me - she very patiently waits for me to slither of when hacking, courtesy of sickie hips this can take some time! Saw my dream Arab at a competition and oh, as lovely as it was gently dancing as it waited to go in the arena , my little Fell marewho just stood there minding her own business is a much better fit for me - also placed much higher than dream horse...

The grown up stuff is have finally accepted I’m not going to have a farmhouse with land, couldn’t afford one and certainly wouldn’t be able to maintain one. So I’m redecorating our lovely house which is currently shabby without the chic so it shows it off properly. Also courtesy of Brexit am saving as much as I can to pay mortgage of as who knows what’s around the corner for the UK economy.

So for next year I have in mind -some showing, trec, Dressage (eek) and long distance- but mainly some fun.

I wish everyone success next yearx
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:37 am

Love this thread, and reading everyone’s progress. So cool!

For me, 2018 had a slow start. I keep my horses at home except for about 3 months during the worst part of the winter typically. However, Dec 2017 was AMAZINGLY cold (as in, -30C!!!) so I brought the horses home since I was paying board for 3 and only rode them once the whole month (not a good value for my hard-earned dollar). I tried to restart Panache and Jet in March by moving them to an indoor nearby for six weeks (until my own outdoor sand ring had thawed), but it was not a good start. The arena was SO bloody dusty that we could only ride for about 5-10 min before having to stop. And, Jet developed cellulitis in his LH leg (near the groin) which put him on rest for 10-14 days. Plus, Panache was OH-SO REACTIVE and difficult in every way to work with (uncharacteristically for him).

So, they all moved home in April and I hoped to get going with them ... but our weather here in eastern Ontario was challenging and remained challenging for most of the summer. As a result, I didn’t ride consistently until about July.

Meanwhile, I sent my 4 yr old Hano/Shire gelding - Finn - to the trainer to get 3 months of driving training, and then to another trainer for another 2 months of under-saddle training. I’m glad I did as he has such a good base now. He drives beautifully even after having a few weeks away from it, is fine on the roads with traffic zooming by and even with driving past other horses galloping around in their paddocks. I have only walked & trotted under saddle myself (he was cantering a bit with the trainer), but I’m SO pleased with his walk/trot and he’s still young/growing so I’ll let the canter happen when he offers it.

I did manage to get Jet (13 yr old Friesian/Perch) to three recognized dressage shows at Third Level. In just those three shows, I earned four scores of 62% or higher to get our Dressage Canada Silver Medal for Third Level! And we finished 2nd provincially at that level. We even debuted our first freestyle at Third Level with a 62% score. None of his Third Level scores were less than 60%, so I’m SO pleased considering how hard it was to teach him his changes. He still hops behind for some changes, but when he does them cleanly he gets ‘7’s on them. Really chuffed about that.

Panache, sadly, sat in the field for most of 2018. It’s too bad after our stellar 2017 show season with his First Level work (most scores then in the 70s, the rest in the 60s). My work this year was atrociously busy so I just ran out of daylight hours to ride him consistently. I’m trying to sell him as a result, but only to a super home otherwise he’ll stay here (and I’ll continue to dream about having another 4 hrs each day to fit in all the things I wish I could do!).

Another highlight was the birth of my 2nd homebred foal, Eowyn (full sister to Finn, out of my Shire mare and by the Hanoverian stallion, Sir Wanabi). She is beautiful and so feminine yet with so much presence. I can’t wait to see how she matures! She is also black (or very dark bay) whereas Finn ended up a mousy/mahogany bay, and I love her markings (I also adore Finn’s flashy markings).

The last first for me was buying a marathon carriage and competing with both Jet and Finn in my first schooling CDE (Combined Driving Event). I have ordered a custom-built Hawk trailer that will accomodate two horses and the carriage (or two horses and a pony up front), and it will arrive in Feb or Mar 2019. So, my daughter and I plan on competing in some recognized CDEs as well as clinics & schooling events in 2019 ... so fun!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:05 pm

My 2018 was not great for a number of reasons:
* Bliss had an ongoing sinus infection for weeks until we figured out he had an abscessed molar, and then it was months until he could be scheduled for removal
* Treatment leading up to diagnosis, and surgical removal ended up costing $$$$$ as well as lots of missed riding time
* I missed out on multiple clinics and shows because of it
* We put the kids in public daycare in Feb which commenced a constant bombardment of illness to the whole family (lots more lost riding time)
* In June the 18yo son of our close personal friend drowned resulting in 3 days of searching for his body, with eventual recovery (and more lost riding time)
* In August I got pneumonia (more missed riding time)
* In Sept my older son's godfather and my husband's best friend committed suicide...
* We had to put my beautiful cocker spaniel (Emma) down Dec 1 due to congestive heart failure

I had a total of one lesson in 2018, but we still made a lot of progress, and also managed our 2nd level debut with a 67%. Bliss is going better than ever, and I feel that in 2019 consolidating the 3rd level work is a real possibility. Here's hoping 2019 doesn't bring anything like the level of heartache we went through in 2018.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Return to “Dressage Training”