Bit clinics and changing it up...

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Beorn
Herd Member

Bit clinics and changing it up...

Postby Beorn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Sorry to horn in on the conversations on the other thread; figured I'd comment out here...

demi wrote:I am also interested in Piedmont’s new bit. Emma has had head shaking issues and I’ve tried a few different bits. Her problems are complex. I am figuring them out, but can see trying some different bits in the future. I don’t think the right bit will be the complete answer, but it could make an important difference.

Demi, your comment is very familiar to me.. I have systematically changed every piece of tack on my guy in the past 18 months, starting with the saddle (actually, saddleS - he's developed so much with the changes we've made that he busted right out of that saddle), then girth (I think I've tried all the options at this point). We got stalled by some severe head-shaking, to the point of him throwing himself (with me) into the arena walls because of the pain. Turned out to be a TMJ issue such that most bridles, particularly the browbands, irritated the joint to the point of violence. He can't ever wear a rope halter again since the knots trigger the same points on his head. He'll also start tossing his head when his saddle needs adjusted.

We also did a virtual bit-fitting with a woman who works with multiple brands, to the dismay of the folks in my barn who decided to also try out the plethora of bits that I was trialling, which they ended up buying for themselves! The bit he's wearing now I would not have imagined would be the one that he would pick.

I always thought he was just brace-y and not forward as his standard personality. Other than the dramatic protests, it didn't seem like anything was broken or really wrong - just training issues. The joy he's radiated in his movement in recent rides in a different saddle (and *cough* all the OTHER changes) convinced me I've been wrong about him. He's taught me a lot about how fiendishly subtle horses can be, and how easily they can shut down. He's also learned a lot, including developing an uncanny ability to know exactly how much money I (don't) have in my bank account..

I've also become a terrible tack hoarder with all of this :cry: :oops:

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Bit clinics and changing it up...

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:21 pm

What browband made your fellow happy, Beorn?

FWIW, I recently switched brow bands, too. First ride, my sensitive mare was like "C H A N G E. W h y ? OK." Next rides were decidedly more comfortable from her perspective.

I'm still waiting on the new bit, but am having better rides by expecting her to be more in the connection (go figure, IOW it's me). Will report when we switch.
Last edited by piedmontfields on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:47 pm

piedmontfields wrote:What broadband made your fellow happy, Beorn?

FWIW, I recently switched brow bands, too. First ride, my sensitive mare was like "C H A N G E. W h y ? OK." Next rides were decidedly more comfortable from her perspective.

I'm still waiting on the new bit, but am having better rides by expecting her to be more in the connection (go figure, IOW it's me). Will report when we switch.

I had to switch bridles completely, from a lovely Jerry's Harness monocrown to a PS of Sweden. In between I tried a Tota and a Micklem. He actually went quite well without a browband at all, except for his funky head shape that sent the crown piece sliding down his neck. I was also going to try a Fairfax and a Stubben Freedom bridle, except the PSoS was used and a very good price and worked.

Beorn is always suspicious of change. It takes a little bit before he accepts that it's really okay. Sometimes it's within a few minutes (saddle, bridle, and bit) and sometimes it's between one ride and the next (girth). What I've found is that things are suddenly much easier for both of us. I don't have to ask as firmly and he's more willing to offer without being asked. I've been working on my own independent seat, too, but his changes are happening faster than mine :( , so it's probably increased comfort on several fronts.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:09 am

Your horse's responses to positive change are similar to my mare's. It makes me takes those changes seriously, that is for sure.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:09 pm

All of the bit talk here, and my normally really soft-mouthed mare's sudden (at least to me) switch to being hard-mouthed and brace-y had me considering bits.

Maia was due for coggins and teeth, so I had the vet and dentist out, then rode another ~10 days with the original bit (thinner copper roller D-ring snaffle) with no positive change. Dentist confirmed what I'd noted in my records from the previous year -- shallow/low palate. So, I picked up a thinner French-link loose ring. It seemed like a good choice from the first ride. We're now four rides in, and I think I can say she's back to her happy soft-touch self.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:57 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Your horse's responses to positive change are similar to my mare's. It makes me takes those changes seriously, that is for sure.

Beorn's learning that I'm listening. For better or worse, he's making sure that my standards remain high for myself. Because I needed more pressure! :lol:

My instructor and I go back and forth on the idea that ignorance is bliss and how much marketing affects our choices. Fortunately she's (mostly) unbiased about how Beorn responds to the changes I've made. She tends to be more on the side of 'if it's not broke..', but has had to admit a few times that, while not broken, things definitely got better or easier.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:33 am

Boerne, I fell for the marketing and tried a Tota bridle on Emma, too. It didnt make any difference so now I use it on Rocky. Not that Rocky needed a special bridle, but they are nice bridles and it will be nice for showing!

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:13 pm

demi wrote:Boerne, I fell for the marketing and tried a Tota bridle on Emma, too. It didnt make any difference so now I use it on Rocky. Not that Rocky needed a special bridle, but they are nice bridles and it will be nice for showing!

They are nice! Their customer service was very nice as well.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:11 pm

I recently let a friend with an Andalusian-Percheron (who can be the opposite of my horse in the mouth---too heavy) try out the d-ring Novocontact snaffle. They are both in love! The horse had been in a more typical french link with an oval bean.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I recently let a friend with an Andalusian-Percheron (who can be the opposite of my horse in the mouth---too heavy) try out the d-ring Novocontact snaffle. They are both in love! The horse had been in a more typical french link with an oval bean.

It's so nice when it works out! The Novocontact was one bit that I'll admit snagged me with the marketing. B was a bit backed off of all contact, and the description said it was great to give horses confidence in the contact, so - SOLD! Except not. It turns out he was mildly offended by the bit, which I didn't know until I tried something else (a more typical French link with an oval bean, oddly enough..). That prompted me to do the virtual bit clinic and we ended up with a Neue Schule Team-up, which he has been deliriously happy with. I tried to tempt him with a series of various other HS bits, but they were also no-goes.

Possibly my horse is indulged.

:oops:

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:11 am

What PS bridle did you go with? Are there different models? What happened with the Micklem?

My mare *should* have loved the micklem based upon the design etc and her issues but she really hated it. I’m intrigued by the PS but after the micklem debacle I’m hesitant!

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:22 pm

mld02004 wrote:What PS bridle did you go with? Are there different models? What happened with the Micklem?

My mare *should* have loved the micklem based upon the design etc and her issues but she really hated it. I’m intrigued by the PS but after the micklem debacle I’m hesitant!

Yeah, I thought the Micklem would be perfect, but it still put pressure on his TMJ, and the adjustment possibilities were limited. Possibly just a quirk of his personal anatomy, but the PS Flying Change works great.

Return to “Dressage Training”