2019 and Jan/Feb goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: 2019 and Jan/Feb goals

Postby Tuddy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:22 pm

I am getting no where with riding this month. I rode once last month and then it turned into the arctic out here on the prairies. In fact, I think the arctic is warmer than my place right now. We have been under an "Extreme Cold Warning" for the past couple of weeks, with last week dipping to the -50°C range with the windchill.

I am done with winter.....

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Tuddy wrote:I am getting no where with riding this month. I rode once last month and then it turned into the arctic out here on the prairies. In fact, I think the arctic is warmer than my place right now. We have been under an "Extreme Cold Warning" for the past couple of weeks, with last week dipping to the -50°C range with the windchill.

I am done with winter.....

Me too. I can't recall a time in the past years where I haven't been riding in 3 weeks. I just do some longing when I am out as I don't want to ask too much since there have been a lot of bad winter roads so I never know if I can get out. I tend to ask too much when I ride (in a good way) so that is also my way of checking my expectations and limiting myself.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 pm

The night is always darkest before the dawn, but on days when it's dark when I get to work and dark when I leave work it's hard to remember that at the very least, I'm thankful it's not 90F outside.

That said, my crew is hangin' in there. I had a couple tough rides on Kiwi late last month and could not put my finger on what was wrong. 1000 thanks to my super-observant barn owner, who noticed a on-again-off-again weird smell around dinner time (which is when Kiwi is baring her teeth at any and all passersby)-- the vet came out and noticed a break in one of her teeth which had started storing hay/grain bits and festering a bit. We caught it before it became a real problem, but that totally explains the weirdness in the bridle.

Anyway, fixed it up, gave her a week off, and she's been brilliant ever since. I'm totally kicking myself for not figuring this out sooner.

Queso, meanwhile, remains ridiculously good-looking. He also did his first canter single-loop ever to both directions with zero fuss.

My new concern: WHAT IF HE NEVER LEARNS FLYING CHANGES?!??!

Totally sane and healthy perspective over here, folks.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm so sorry for those who are dealing with harsh weather, injured horses and injured humans. I'm sure you guys are like me you just want to get riding regularly! Last week was really nice here and I got all 3 horses worked several days in a row, actually riding a couple over the days. I am dealing with family health issues though. My dad in 2018 was diagnosed with dementia (not really specified and meds have helped him) after some serious break with reality (hallucinations and paranoia) and last week my mom was also diagnosed with dementia either frontal temporal lobe or Alzheimers. We have more testing before starting medications. I am the main go to with doctors appointments for them both, neither can drive now and they have to have someone with them for doctors appointments. They cannot comprehend anymore. That drastically impacts my riding right now.

I am trying to host Cedar next month (she got her gold medal!) and am struggling. My riders have had horses getting hurt (Juliet is lame again, sigh) humans having health issues and major truck repairs. Hoping she will come down for an abbreviated clinic. Then Jillian for biomechanics lecture in May and Cedar again in June. May try to hit a schooling show in April, have also signed up to audit the Cavalia original trainers in SC in April. I love their book Gallop to Freedom.

Edit:
I forgot to add for Dresseur and H4spots, I found a calming supplement that has worked with my reactive gelding Rip. He is a spook and a spinner, not fun. Smartpak has Relax Blend, it has herbs that will test so cannot be used for showing but with M being on stall rest and H4S gelding needing to walk only and hopefully trail ride I thought I would pass it on to you guys. I've tried so many different ones over the years (had a tense OTTB g) and this is the first that I've used where I could see major difference in my horse.
Last edited by khall on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Khall sent you a PM

exvet
Herd Member

Postby exvet » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your parents khall. I lost my dad to dementia this past fall and my mother has had now 3 strokes. Due to the part of her brain where the strokes occurred they have been preparing me for the likelihood of her developing dementia. I've made several changes to help take care of her and I'm sure there will be more to come. Hang in there. You are not alone.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks, Khall. I will check it out and give it a try.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Another exciting day of horizontal snow and high winds... this goes through Sunday with a brief break on Friday. The roads are dreadful, so indoor arena or no indoor arena, I'm staying home and safe. Goals and progress are on hold for a while.

Khall, I'm sorry you are going through this. Seeing one's parents decline is such a difficult thing. Sending you (and ex-vet) my best wishes for fortitude and patience.

Sue B
500 post plus club

Postby Sue B » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm

We had sideways snow all day yesterday that turned to thick rain (almost snow) last night. Now we have flooding. Supposed to turn back to snow tomorrow and through the weekend. Hold onto your hat, Moutaineer! :shock:

(I am so happy we bought that tractor/loader. Clearing the driveways in the blizzard yesterday was such a treat. Three cheers for having a cab.)

DJR
Herd Member

Postby DJR » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:42 pm

We've been challenged by weather the last 2-3 weeks, too.

We had a colossal blizzard Tues-Wed, enough that I put all the horses inside overnight (that is a rare event on my farm). Today is sunny and lots of snow on the ground, but overnight tonight we are getting snow then rain/freezing rain, which will once again ruin the snow base and the footing. We've had ice everywhere for the bulk of the last 4 weeks.

I'm lucky if I ride 2x weekly because of all this. The three that I have boarded at an indoor facility are fine, but just driving there has often been too treacherous! When I've been able to ride, I'm taking lessons with my daughter's coach and doing pole/X-pole lessons on Finn (my rising 5-yr-old green-bean) which are fun and very helpful for Finn. Then I'm doing a jump lesson over 2'6" with Jet afterwards (in my dressage saddle since my all-purpose Wintec doesn't fit him!). I've enjoyed this change from constant flat work, and Jet seems to love it so that's fun.

Bring on spring!!!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 pm

So, I think focus on some basics has paid off. I also am recognizing specific riding errors I have.

Kimba will lose balance and rush during medium to extended gaits. My modus operandi is to collect, rebalance and go again. Suddenly the penny dropped, kick her forward and insist she balance forward then reward with collection or stretch.

Also I reminded myself to activate the hind end every time she leaned into my hand.

I was definitely able to find a higher gear .

I do need to find a trainer I can trust.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm

I just checked my current weather - it is -30°F. When you add the wind chill factor, it is -51°F. But, the weather is going to smarten up because all the horses were acting like feral a**holes last night at feeding time. Running and bucking and snorting. My daughters old QH thought he should run by me and kick out... that didn't end well for him.

blob
Herd Member

Postby blob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Kimba will lose balance and rush during medium to extended gaits. My modus operandi is to collect, rebalance and go again. Suddenly the penny dropped, kick her forward and insist she balance forward then reward with collection or stretch.

This is a good reminder. Glad it's been working well for you and Kimba. I audited a Scott Hassler clinic about a year ago and he talked about how too often riders do a transitions (within gaits or from one to another) when things aren't going well. But that we shouldn't do that. If a horse is struggling with the canter, we can only fix that in the canter, rather than coming down to the trot. Once the horse fixes it's balance in the gait you're asking, then you can use the transition as a reward and then you're also training a better, stronger transition. The clinic was otherwise useless :lol: , but this was a good takeaway for me.

I hear you on finding an instructor you trust. That can be so hard. Even when there are plenty of trainers around, finding one who's theory you agree with, who understands you and your horse, and is a good teacher can be a challenge. Hoping you find someone you and Kimba really like soon.

Return to “Dressage Training”