2019 and Jan/Feb goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Dresseur
500 post plus club

2019 and Jan/Feb goals

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Happy New Year all! 8-) 8-)
What are your short and long term goals?

My Jan/Feb goals are: get Miro healthy and back under saddle again. Start really nailing down the 1 tempis - not sure if it's doable, some days it feels like more of a possibility than others.

My long term 2019 goals are: get Miro healthy and back under saddle again. :P :? Realistically, I'd love to take him to a few shows, but more importantly, I'd love this to be the year that he learns the changes. I may or may not be able to show G this year, if I can, fantastic, but if not, I just want to keep learning on her as much as possible!

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: 2019 and Jan/Feb goals

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Other than continuing to establish and maintain that ever elusive true connection over the back powering through to the bridle, my main goal will be showing at a recognized show in February with Junior. I plan to continue our regular trail rides/hacks increasing the mileage and distance with both the mustang (Ace) and Junior to help keep Junior's mind fresh. For now that's pretty much it.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Happy new year :)

Norsey - clean flying changes
Ding for this year - start competing PSG.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 pm

Still figuring out Laddie's front feet, so much is dependent on that. Vet on Thursday to re-x-ray, farrier next week. He's been going really well since the shoeing adjustment 4 weeks ago until he got a couple of days off, then he came out noticeably (to me) NQR is his LF again at the trot. He worked out of it pretty quickly and easily and went on to give me some really nice, happy and willing work, but...

What with the very, very cold weather and some other obligations for me, it's unlikely I will get on him again before the vet comes, so it'll be a good test.

Once sound and happy again, my trainer has asked me to leave the lateral work alone for a bit and focus, while she is out of town, on understanding the true nature of collected to extended (vs lengthened) to collected canter. I'm looking forward to it.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:43 pm

Full year too lofty for me, one thing at a time! Jan/Feb goals below.

MM:
-Continue work on changes to get them reliably clean and on the aids
-Medium trot-- more power, less speed
-More polish and power in HP (trot and canter)
-Half steps

RP:
-Find RP a saddle we both like (fitter comes next week)
-Work on establishing strength and consistency in a higher frame at the trot (RP would love to spend all ride in stretch trot and gets fussy staying up)
- keep working on lateral flexibility
- keep working on having a happier, healthier pony (ulcer treatment, body work, and ground work)

Me:
-core strength
- take lunches to work
- ride with shorter reins

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:52 pm

Happy New Year!

My training goals in the next two months:
ME: work on my fitness, walk more regularly, add some core exercises

HORSES under saddle:
JET (13 yr old 3rd Level gelding): improve his fitness/conditioning, improve his “sit”.
FINN (4 yr old greenly backed gelding): start cantering under saddle, improve his (very green) under-saddle work including more relaxation & balance in the trot work, and continue to add more trot poles & small “x”s to his regime (we JUST started that last weekend).
PANACHE (7 yr old 1st/2nd Level gelding, not currently in regular work): I have no idea. He’s not at the indoor facility and remains at home so I’m at the mercy with him of the weather, the early darkness, and, most importantly, lack of time.

Carriage work: try to get out weather-permitting once a week with each horse (Jet & Finn), although this may go by the wayside given winter temps/snow/ice, and time since it gets so dark so early still.

Today was a great start. My close friend is going to ride Jet periodically to help keep him in work, and she rode him today for the 2nd time. She rides him beautifully. I rode Finn and it was my first time riding him in a busy indoor arena (3 other horses, two of which he wasn’t famliar with and one of which did some canter work). We then rode out to the outdoor ring and Finn was a bit zesty at the trot but quickly settled. After that was a brief ride down the back road at the facility and he was super. I’m really pleased with him; he seems to have a really great brain.

My friend got this fun picture showing my daughter on her pony, Sawyer, and me on Finn.
B4D3D7F7-468B-4130-A89B-CCB9C2741D72.jpeg
B4D3D7F7-468B-4130-A89B-CCB9C2741D72.jpeg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 21651 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 am

Happy new year, everybody!

I'm always in for these threads. I love watching everyone's progress!

In the next two months, here's what we'll be working on:

Kiwi:
- Half steps 2x/month
- Transitions between collected and medium or extended trot
- Fluency in half passes
- Canter pirouette work 1x/week

Queso:
- Transitions between trot and canter
- Intro to leg yielding
- Contact

Me:
- Ride 4x/week
- Hit the exercise bike 4x/week
- Track calories

I'm excited to see where we end up. I've got my eye on a couple shows this year but would like to get fitter (me) and clean up some of the training (horses) before we go.

Gratuitous Queso photo:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:32 am

There's funny green stuff underfoot in that picture...

(It'll be months before we see grass again... sigh.)

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:46 pm

The weather here has been very wintery lately, with lots of ice and cold temps, so we've been limited to walking the past week, but I have still been riding regularly. I've been focusing on smooth and elastic lateral work - SI to HP, HP to SI and back to HP, HP to LY, SI to Rv, etc. He's certainly feeling supple so I think it's been good. :)

Goals for Jan/Feb:
* Ride 3 x a week
* Haul to an indoor @least twice
* Hopefully not lose too much condition or suppleness, although some loss is inevitable.

Goals for 2019:
flying changes!!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:53 pm

My goals are going to be pretty basic because it seems that's where we need to be right now. I'm currently riding 5 days per week and a very brief lunging session 1 day per week. The lunging is just because she doesn't tend to move around at all unless asked and she seems to feel/go better if she doesn't have an entire day of standing around doing nothing (except her favorite activity.. eating). I may go walking and/or jogging with her sometimes instead too.

In any case our goals will be:

- Work toward upward transitions without any arguments for the entire ride. For me this means having light and consistent aids and if she does try to argue stay patient and work through it quietly and calmly. We've already made a lot of progress here so I think it should be an attainable goal.
- More cantering. I rode a couple of times with the Equilab app and realized that we're barely cantering at all. She tends to get nice and loosened up and far more agreeable after a good canter so it should be helpful for all our other work as well.
- Get back into healthier habits for myself

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Starting off 2019 slow but this is what I have jotted down so far:

* I am hoping to start lessons this month, just waiting to hear back from my coach as to what days/times are available.
* I have a saddle fitter coming out to my place on Sunday to do tracings of both Yonka and Tuddy so that I can take them with me if/when I start saddle shopping. (I am hoping that the saddle that I do have already fits, so that I don't have to purchase.)

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Queso is so cute - a real 'My Little Pony."

My goals. Haaahahahaha. Basically, to (a) survive riding my beastie when he's only ridden 2/max 3 times a week; and (b) teach him to be a trail horse, something he has always had a melt down over. Sigh. Unfortunately, it took him quite a while at his old barn - where he eventually lived for 11 years - to settle and be quiet, relaxed and non-reactive when being ridden around the property. He's been at his new home barely a month, so that's not happening yet. He's cool with his new paddock/run-in shed, he's gained a little weight (he didn't need to, so we've cut him back a little). He likes his neighbor (a Haflinger gelding). Because of the holidays, he's been ridden 10 days out of the last 14 days. But that's gong to be cut back to weekends and one weeknight - when I'll probably have to hand walk him, now that the holidays are over. Weather mitigates against any trail riding attempts at present. High winds and icy temperatures and horse that isn't fond of trail riding - not a good formula for success. LOL If he has to remain where he is as the weather warms, we will make our trail riding attempts. Until then, it's cross my fingers and hope for the best as we do our walking rides. Unfortunately, the travel time and expense also prevent me from starting up again with my H/J lessons. We shall see how it goes as we work through winter and hope for an early spring!!! (Yeah, I'm in California, but it still gets cold and wet and muddy, so....)

Happy New Year, everyone!!

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Hot4Spots, could you coordinate ride times with a buddy? Perhaps the halflinger could be a good option.

Tuddy, would love to hear about your fitter experience, I'm about to do the same!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm

blob wrote:Tuddy, would love to hear about your fitter experience, I'm about to do the same!

I'll take pictures! :)

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Blob - The timing just doesn't work out, unfortunately. The Halfie was gifted to my former trainer, and while she does ride him, she travels on the weekends to teach at other barns, so we're just not there at the same time(s). It's a small barn, and most of the other boarders don't trail ride. I'll work something out. Just hoping he adjusts before we have to move again! LOL Since he's been pretty calm in his stall/run-in shed arrangements, I'm starting him on turnout in a larger area for a few hours a day, and maybe that will help, though if he plays up too much, he'll have to go back to the stall/paddock. UC Davis said he can be in a moderate-sized turnout, but not a large one or pasture.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Short Term Goals

-Do integrated practice of what I've been slowly learning about my seat and the aids over the last year, especially in canter work. I have been doing a lot of practice of separate concepts, which does help me, but I need to bring it together to get the full benefit. I have had flashes of integration but I need to make it more automatic. I was watching more Suzanna von Dietz videos over the holidays and that really brought this point home to me.

-Work more on developing variations of canter. I recently realized that we have actually developed a number of different trots (from western jog, to working trot, to lengthened trot, to not quite medium trot, to collected trot, to cadenced slow collected trot to half steps). But I don't have quite so many canters.

2019 goals? I have to think about that. Right now I'm in survival mode: It's 40 F and drizzling and damp---the worst time of year for me and my horse.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Right now I would just like to get to ride! Between Rip and Gaila running fevers and now rain for over a week riding is just not in the cards. I do have an all weather arena, but even it is being taxed with all the rain we are having and more predicted tonight and tomorrow! Heck I need 4 wd just to get to the hay barn in my RTV.

The only good thing is it is warm, so horses are able to go out daily, though I cringe when I see them trying to gallop around in the sloppy slippery mess.

I need to get back on Rip and work the changes, when I can get him back in gear. Have clinic in March with Cedar.
Gaila, just need to get back on her. She has come back from her weight loss while at "trainers" and is fine now after her fever issue. Last time I lunged her she looked great.
Get back on Joplin, I have a friend who is willing to come help me to be safe. "Ride" her 2 Xs a week is the goal.

2019 definitely get changes on Rip, SW under saddle.
Gaila WTC and lateral work possibly sell her.
Joplin WT and eventually C US.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:50 pm

As of this morning, our top goal has shifted:

1- Get Maia's butt on the freaking trailer!
2- LESSONS (see #1 ....)
3- Jumping (already intro'd cross rails, need to pump that up
4- More trail miles (firearms hunting season ends mid/late February; archery runs through March)

I had to cancel this morning's lesson because Ms. Stubborn is still quite concerned that the horse trailer is going to reach out and bite her face. I called it quits after 2 hours of not loading. My husband, BO, and I tried my normal technique (Clinton Anderson), feeding in trailer, butt rope, companion, treats, broom, whip ... the last two were kinda sad. She just stood there like "why are you smacking me"?

My awesome BO suggested moving the horse trailer to a paddock, and she's going to open it up, stick Maia's feed tub in there ... so if Maia wants her grain, she has to walk partially (and eventually, fully) into the trailer. The plan is for no human participation after the first few times. We're commencing the new mealtime regime tomorrow evening :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Ugh, Heddy. there's NOTHING more frustrating than a horse that won't get on the damned trailer. Good luck. I discovered that I do not have the skills or patience to conquer it, but I've found a magician who can indeed teach anything to go anywhere, thank goodness!

Vet visit for Laddie this morning. Based on a lunge (where he looked so much better than he had, and worked out of some minor ouchiness pretty quickly) and some x-rays, vet feels we have made significant progress in sorting out the NPA issue in his front feet, and that we are well on the way to full resolution. We've put him on Previcox for a month to really knock out any lingering inflammation, and he's sending the x-rays to the farrier with a note for his visit next Wednesday, and we'll see where we go from there.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Ugh, Heddy. there's NOTHING more frustrating than a horse that won't get on the damned trailer. Good luck. I discovered that I do not have the skills or patience to conquer it, but I've found a magician who can indeed teach anything to go anywhere, thank goodness!

Back in the day, I had a friend (who had helped a lot of people get reluctant horses to load) say that she didn't care if a horse was the reincarnation of Keen or Marzog or Ahlerich - if it wouldn't get into the trailer, she didn't want it!" :lol: :lol:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 am

Hot4Spots wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:Ugh, Heddy. there's NOTHING more frustrating than a horse that won't get on the damned trailer. Good luck. I discovered that I do not have the skills or patience to conquer it, but I've found a magician who can indeed teach anything to go anywhere, thank goodness!

Back in the day, I had a friend (who had helped a lot of people get reluctant horses to load) say that she didn't care if a horse was the reincarnation of Keen or Marzog or Ahlerich - if it wouldn't get into the trailer, she didn't want it!" :lol: :lol:

The funny thing is that I'm normally the one who can get the problem loaders in the trailer :lol:

This is what Maia did to herself in a trailering mishap in September. I thought this would be another round of what happened when she scalped her face as a 3yo during her second trailer trip -- some side-eye at the trailer, then back to self loading. Apparently 5yos have a much longer memory!

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 am

Sorry you’re having loading problems heddy, but it will get better. This is probably just coincidence, but the only horses I ever had trailering/loading issues with were mares...they are so stubborn. With Rocky, the biggest help was having my trainer load her several times. But another thing that worked fairly well, was walking her toward the trailer and then backing her before she even thought about objecting. Over and over, each time getting closer to the trailer and then backing her up. Then letting her get one foot in before the backup and then two feet, etc. It was tedious but she got to the point of wanting to go in to avoid the backing. Very little drama with the backing method, at least for my mare, although I am pretty sure she started rolling her eyes at me when she was almost in and I’d back her out. She is a good and reliable loader now (knock on wood).

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:30 am

I’m in the boat with all the others who are having rainy weather. It really puts a damper on riding (boat/damper- haha). Rocky is fully recovered from her torn suspensory and is ready to rock and roll, but I just havent been able to with the rain.

Goals for Jan/Feb:

Ride 4-6 times a week

Self video every couple of weeks.

Get back to weekly lessons on Rocky.

Be ready for schooling show March 9th, including practice French braiding!

For 2019 long term:

2-3 schooling shows in the spring. The first two at Intro level and then if all is well, the third at Training level.
2-3 schooling shows in the fall.

Get back on my own workouts 4 times a week.
Last edited by demi on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 am

Demi, that forward/back technique is what I attribute correctly(?) or not to Clinton Anderson. Most horses get so fed up they charge forward into the trailer. It worked for Maia before the face-meet-trailer incident. Now she's like "Haha. I'm not falling for that one, silly human."

We need an ark here too. My semi-retiree is starting to mold :shock:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:07 am

Moutaineer wrote:Vet visit for Laddie this morning. Based on a lunge (where he looked so much better than he had, and worked out of some minor ouchiness pretty quickly) and some x-rays, vet feels we have made significant progress in sorting out the NPA issue in his front feet, and that we are well on the way to full resolution. We've put him on Previcox for a month to really knock out any lingering inflammation, and he's sending the x-rays to the farrier with a note for his visit next Wednesday, and we'll see where we go from there.

This sounds like possibly fantastic news. Fingers crossed it turns out as projected!

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:39 am

Demi, self videoing is an excellent goal, I need to do more of that myself.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm

I'm going to have to come up with a means of getting Junior on video again. One nice bonus with where I am taking lessons currently is that they have mirrors. I was able to see just how expressive and cadenced Junior is becoming at the canter in my lesson yesterday and it was to the LEFT! which is usually his more difficult side. He was honestly taking half-halts within the stride and giving me the correct response. It was awesome. Unfortunately and as it usually goes with youngsters, his typically wonderful right lead canter, though it started out relatively nice, when my instructor wanted me to take it up a notch and see if he would accept the half-halt within the gait (without breaking of course) and accept more dictation on my part in how to use his body, all of a sudden he started having a minor melt down over accepting the left rein as the balancing/reciprocating directional aid (up to this point accepting the left rein had always been an 'easy' sell). He was pulling everything out of the bag trying to avoid honestly going into and accepting the contact. Well the little stinker was working far harder than what I was originally asking him to do and he finally signed up and gave me not just a lovely expressive but cadenced canter (not freight train at all).....we also got to see (in the mirror for me) what the future holds in terms of talent. He was mentally exhausted by the end so we quit the lesson on a good note a little early.

We're going to keep working on developing better balance, strength and of course CONSISTENT true connection but this year we will also focus on elasticity within the gaits. The hope/goal will be that next year at this time I'll have a welsh cob ready to start producing clear and distinct medium gaits. I'm going to start hauling him over to some of the steeper trails so that I can use them to build more strength in his hind end and stamina. I used to work a lot of road & tracks as a kid on an instructor's horses to pay for lessons on my ponies......something I also used a lot on Monty to help him with his conditioning and thus it will be used similarly with this stinker. Of course the risk will be that I'll have a little powerhouse to contend with - good when they cooperate, a challenge if they choose to have a mind of their own......LOL.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:37 pm

exvet sounds like you are heading in the right direction with Jr, hope he figures it out and gets stronger to develop this year even better. Riding out is a wonderful way to get them fit and stronger, love being able to add in outside the sandbox. I am lucky to have some rolling pastures to ride in to help keep my horses strong and not so bored.

https://www.facebook.com/keri.hall.35/v ... 367429828/ this is our farm today:( We don't have a creek usually, now we have several running through our property. Sooo much rain the ground is like walking on mush. No idea when I will be able to ride though the next week looks dry finally!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:56 pm

I goals for the last two months were to start single flying changes, well it did not go very well, and i decided that perhaps i need to work on a few basic things before trying changes again, first, instant response to the leg, i think that my horse is more inclined to follow a pattern of behavior that really listen to me.

she seems to enjoy work is always eager to come, be caught, walk into the arena etc, but once ridden she kind of wants to take over. So i think once again a step back to establish consistent responses is needed

for me, back to healthy eating and i do want to join a gym and of course, go there three times a week

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:03 am

My goal is for Jan-Feb is to regain my confidence in the saddle since my fall last September, I am geting there, but it takes time. We are also working on trail riding. Additionally, my goal will be to ride as often as I can during the winter months. We have a lot of rain forecasted in the near future. I am working on training level with Red, although we are also working on LY, SI, and HI. I suppose another goal is photo sharing. I have a MacBook, so if anyone has suggestions tha would be helpful. I would love to post photos to DD, but have been terribly unsuccessful at it.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 am

Hi Red's mum, what troubles are you having with the pics? I have a macbook and can try and help you out if you want to msg me?

We've finally got some cooler weather! It's been up to 40 degrees C for nearly 2 weeks and the next week is forecasted for only 30. Enjoying some storms and rain right this minute before I go to nightshift :)

Working with Norsey has been trying to get his neck longer, more open through is gullet (he sucks back) and with medium trots not to turn himself into a wheelbarrow :)
I had to get him a new saddle (expensive :shock: ) and I pick that up tomorrow. Can't wait because it should fit me better too and stop me feeling like I'm sliding backwards off the cantle all the time.

Norsey1.jpg
Norsey1.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 21301 times

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 pm

Short version - sort of had gave up dressage, did a test today and actually won it on 68.92%. Long version ... So, we went to a local dressage intro class (walk, trot only) today. Aim was to remember test and have a consistent contact. Huge class of 17 seniors plus 5 juniors. New venue to us with a cafe and big viewers gallery. Small warm up arena which was very busy. Went in, rembered test, remembered how to ride and actually enjoyed it. Pony also seemed quite happy but in retrospect could have given her more rein so she was more forwarded, judges comments were helpfu ending with “ a pleasure to watch”. Pony then blotted her copy book by refusing to load to go home for an hour! She sat on a traffic cone, climbed backward up a vertical bank, finally went in and stood there happy as Larry -damn thing.

Link to clip of test below

Plan is another test next month, thus month we have a training session with a porteguese chap next Sunday, a showing clinic the week after then an indoor trec at the month end, so mixing it up. Bit.

https://youtu.be/7lvgg98009c
Last edited by greenholmeshandy on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:09 pm

That's a really great shot of Norsey, Flight. He looks awesome and also like a tricky body to ride! Hope the new saddle helps you, too.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Flight wrote:Working with Norsey has been trying to get his neck longer, more open through is gullet (he sucks back) and with medium trots not to turn himself into a wheelbarrow :)
How was he in the snaffle? If you put a horse in a double before he is really moving into the snaffle, you are going to encounter a problem like this. I was one that moved on to a double too quickly and had this kind of problem. Once I moved back to the snaffle and got a true solid connection everything came together.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 pm

musical comedy wrote: How was he in the snaffle? If you put a horse in a double before he is really moving into the snaffle, you are going to encounter a problem like this. I was one that moved on to a double too quickly and had this kind of problem. Once I moved back to the snaffle and got a true solid connection everything came together.

He went through a phase of leaning on the snaffle and charging off, and being such a big horse and me not the greatest rider, it got a little concerning. But we got through that and yes he can go back to a snaffle now.

ETA - Yes, he's more into the bridle in a snaffle but can be a bit heavy for my liking :

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 9.45.33 am copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 9.45.33 am copy.jpg (104.89 KiB) Viewed 21146 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:09 am

khall wrote:Right now I would just like to get to ride! Between Rip and Gaila running fevers and now rain for over a week riding is just not in the cards. I do have an all weather arena, but even it is being taxed with all the rain we are having and more predicted tonight and tomorrow! Heck I need 4 wd just to get to the hay barn in my RTV.

The only good thing is it is warm, so horses are able to go out daily, though I cringe when I see them trying to gallop around in the sloppy slippery mess.

I need to get back on Rip and work the changes, when I can get him back in gear. Have clinic in March with Cedar.
Gaila, just need to get back on her. She has come back from her weight loss while at "trainers" and is fine now after her fever issue. Last time I lunged her she looked great.
Get back on Joplin, I have a friend who is willing to come help me to be safe. "Ride" her 2 Xs a week is the goal.

2019 definitely get changes on Rip, SW under saddle.
Gaila WTC and lateral work possibly sell her.
Joplin WT and eventually C US.

We must be in a similar weather pattern. For us unseasonably warm, rain almost daily. It's mud, mud, mud and more mud. I have horses that live out and they don't like spending much time in their shelter. Going with their heavily mud crusted legs is an ongoing nightmare.

Everyone is slightly sore. I think it's the constant deep footing.

I read somewhere that it's the wettest period in hundreds of years.

Anyway, we do have an indoor and I am going a lot of hacking so that the horses can have decent footing for at least an hour a day.

Its finally supposed to freeze this week, so we will at least have dry legs, but frozen potholes mudscapes will not offer kinder footing

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:47 pm

Chisamba wrote:We must be in a similar weather pattern. For us unseasonably warm, rain almost daily. It's mud, mud, mud and more mud. I have horses that live out and they don't like spending much time in their shelter. Going with their heavily mud crusted legs is an ongoing nightmare.

Anyway, we do have an indoor and I am going a lot of hacking so that the horses can have decent footing for at least an hour a day.

Its finally supposed to freeze this week, so we will at least have dry legs, but frozen potholes mudscapes will not offer kinder footing
Same here with the weather. Pastures are ruined. And yes, when it freezes we have the rough footing for them to deal with. Fortunately here our soil is clay-like and dries up quickly. We've usually gotten a windy/sunny day right after the rains to help that out. I swear, since beginning of 2018 it rains at least every other day a little bit. Gloomy too. Without an indoor here in NJ, no point to having horses to ride.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 pm

For my 4 1/2 yo, open up the throatlatch. I saw in a different thread (I think OTOB) that horses who really reach under themselves may tend to want to come behind the vertical before they find their balance. He does easily come behind the vertical, we are really aware of that. I have to be very careful not to block him at all. I see it in the jumping pictures on my other topic. We were managing other stuff there so not I'm not worried for it being the first time. I don't want it to become the norm.

Forward, forward, forward-not out of balance. And fun. And new experiences.

Oh, and cantering. Building strength. The transitions are coming along.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 pm

We had a lesson yesterday and really focused on straightness and forward and back within the gaits. We're finally at a point where in both directions the canter from the transition upward to downward is a balanced relaxed working momentum; so, it was time to up the ante. When I first mounted I thought I was going to have a terrible lesson. Junior felt like he was ready for full pig mode when I started to warm up but I started to do some transitions within the gait and all of a sudden he really started to click in, wait for me and try to give appropriate answers. Junior likes to stay more contracted on his left side; so, I also focused on making sure we were making his left side longer in the frame he prefers so that I got a truly straight pony. It turned out to be a great lesson with glimmers of a real first level pony. Now to carve out some time to take the 'safety test' so that I am eligible to show in Feb.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:03 pm

@Exvet--great news with Junior, sounds like you've had some really productive lessons and rides with him lately. I'm excited to keep hearing about your progress with him. I took with safety test while watching a documentary on netflix. You have to 'play' all the videos to the end, but they're all so basic that there was no need to actually watch them in order to get the questions right.

@Flight-- that picture of norsey in the snaffle is really lovely! But my, he is a big boy! How is the new saddle working out? Would also love to hear how medium trot work is going with him. It's been a struggle point for me and my mare--she too likes to turn into a wheelbarrow.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm

:shock: Kimba and I have been spending quite a lot of time up and ahead of the vertical this month. Also working on a half halt in canter that does NOT close the angle. I realize that she is particularly inclined to go btv in the canter hh.

I am thrilled with how much this is improving her extended gaits, but we have lost a little in the consistency of connection over the back. It can be like dancing on the edge of a cliff :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Very good updates, folks. @Flight, that snaffle photo is even more impressive! He is a lot of horse. @Exvet, you have a lot of exciting work coming together. I think you're in for an excellent lifelong journey with this partner 8-) @Chisamba, your comments on Kimba and canter remind me of how I need to ride Emi fairly open and forward in the canter to have enough power for changes. If I try to keep her too round, I've got nothing to work with. @heddyL hope patience and persistence yields consistent solutions on the trailering adventure! @khall, hope everyone is feeling better and staying afloat.

I think I have a goal for 2019:

Make my aids more electric so that Emi is more consistently electric (and hence ready for anything).

That is all...because I think that addresses so many things!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:56 pm

My goodness Norsey is a big boy although I'm sure you hear that all the time Flight. In any case he's lovely.

I know it's probably a bit too early to hope for better winter weather for those that are having troubles but I will anyway. It's tough when the weather can't decide how it wants to be, or when it wants to be just miserable.

As for myself we might be getting somewhere, maybe, I hope. Paloma is no longer arguing with me about walk-trot transitions, even rapid ones, although she's wanting to crank her neck right and fall left big time on the down transition going left. I would say it's my hands' fault because things usually are but she does it on a completely loose rein too so it's either my body or I need to figure out how to support her better or both. My rides have gotten quite short because I'm trying to reward good work with breaks and less work. She still starts out feeling balled up and plodding but I give her a break almost as soon as she loosens up and starts moving out nicely and then end the ride when I'm able to pick up the reins at the walk and she puts herself together but continues marching forward which is another of our problem areas. She seems to respond well to breaks as a reward but I have to figure out how to build on that without losing the gains we've made.

I felt very weird when I started riding on a very loose rein (part of figuring out her resistance to upward transitions to make sure I wasn't giving mixed signals where the leg said go and the hand said no) so I think I was using the reins for some balancing assistance without realizing it. My canter seat seems to be changing too which I think is interesting.

I also changed her bit to a Neue Schule Verbindend which feels harsher than I imagined it would be but I chose it based on the description because she likes to sneak a gradual lean on the hands and slowly pull the reins out as well as being somewhat resistant to flexing. I am still not sure how well I like it for myself to ride in because of my hands but she seems to like it well enough as long as I keep my hands from getting a mind of their own and doing things they shouldn't be doing.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm

My only goal is to keep riding thru these icy winter months, especially Rudy.

Someone wanted to know what jacket I was wearing in the last challenge--it's a riding jacket from LLBean. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78463?f ... cket&csp=a Again, very light weight, great double zipper so you can adjust it for when you're in the saddle and, importantly for me, it is windproof. It also has extra long sleeves that cover the back of your hands so you can wear regular riding gloves and not have frozen hands.

Back to the horses, I rode Rudy and gw'd Tio and then hand walked him down the road. That went really well so maybe this weekend I'll try riding the beast. DH used our new tractor and cleared out all the drifts so the arena is rideable now. Like many of you, I am inspired to work on promptness in response to aides while keeping seat, hands and legs quiet.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 am

I'm around. Doing weekly lessons...trying to stay sane on the ice (outside) ....otherwise all systems go.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:11 am

musical comedy wrote:
Chisamba wrote:We must be in a similar weather pattern. For us unseasonably warm, rain almost daily. It's mud, mud, mud and more mud. I have horses that live out and they don't like spending much time in their shelter. Going with their heavily mud crusted legs is an ongoing nightmare.

Same here with the weather. Pastures are ruined. And yes, when it freezes we have the rough footing for them to deal with. Fortunately here our soil is clay-like and dries up quickly. We've usually gotten a windy/sunny day right after the rains to help that out. I swear, since beginning of 2018 it rains at least every other day a little bit. Gloomy too. Without an indoor here in NJ, no point to having horses to ride.

Are you frozen now?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 am

Chisamba wrote:Are you frozen now?
Yes. It's been very cold, especially overnight.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 pm

We are finally frozen, and expecting snow later today. I'm not sure what's worse, the mud or the frozen, pitted ground.
Miro just finished his second course of Equioxx. I need to wait a few days and take new video to send to my vet. Last I checked him (about 2 weeks ago) he was almost 100% - but that was on Equioxx. So, who knows. This is incredibly frustrating.

My last several rides down at A's have been incredibly frustrating too. The last few weeks in a row, stuff started to go downhill with Gala, meaning that while I was able to start getting the 1s, I had more and more horse in my hand, and the connection felt stiff to me. Last weekend, Andrea let me ride Maya, who is schooling all the GP work. (She's hoping to debut Maya this year at GP.) While I was able to run Maya through all the work, (with A watching to make sure I didn't screw up her horse lol), I felt that the canter work in particular was heavy and stiff in my hands and I KNOW that she's not heavy for Andrea. I just didn't understand where the heaviness was coming from, but I discussed with Andrea that it only seems to happen on horses that are more powerful and further along in training... which in my mind shouldn't happen.

A few days later, Andrea let me know that she had some theories and that we were going to test it by riding Gala in her snaffle. So, I did. And it wasn't a disaster. In fact, she was lighter and straighter than anything that I get in the double. So what gives ?? Apparently, I am accidentally driving all. the. time. with my back. Essentially, I have no gears, particularly in the canter. This wasn't happening several months ago, because I was still giving in my shoulders and I wasn't as knitted together as I am at this moment. So, what I thought was normal tone through my body had become a weapon of sorts. A few people have told me over the years that because I am long in the torso, I would eventually have more leverage in my body - and that's exactly what happened. So, I have to learn the difference between a holding back and a driving back.

When I got on Gala, I went off in my trot and immediately had a ton of weight in my hands, so I dialed back and dialed back and then everything became light and manageable again. But I felt incredibly sloppy and I felt as if the trot was some sort of western jog. But everything I did a transition, she was well under behind, and light - exactly the way it should be. So, I was driving too much power into my hand. In the canter, again, I felt incredibly sloppy - but there was nothing abrupt about the work, and she was light and straight. What was crazy to me was that I could really nuance the hell out of the work. So if I was cantering along, I could increase a bit of tension and she would collect right up. Rather than me starting at a 5 and ramping to an 8 and her landing right in my hands.

The changes were a revelation as well. The first change I went to, she went hard into my hand. I realized that I had tightened and was driving her into the change. So because I had all this power dammed up, the only place for it to escape was the haunches - which essentially means that I have been creating the crookedness simply by over powering the engine. Sigh. So, my homework is basically riding G in her snaffle and when I go to changes, I have to be able to adjust the canter before and after the change. What I was getting was a change. A good stride and then either she broke gait or got heavy - nothing in between. I think that this is a big deal and is going to open a lot of doors. But, I'm a bit miffed at myself for not recognizing this and creating my own issues.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:04 pm

I cannot even remember how many times I have commented that too much focus on seat creates a hammer of a back. With the admission that since I am strong and heavy perhaps that emphasizes it.

It I admit it's been six years since I was even schooling PSG, and I only had one GP horse, so ..

But it was huge for me to lighten my seat and make elastic my pelvis.

Less is more.

That was someone's name but it's also just true

blob

Postby blob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:46 pm

@dresseur sounds like a really useful lesson/epiphany!

My January has been off to a slow start--I had some more travel and am currently battling a nasty and stubborn cold that has been hanging around for over a week and doesn't seem to want to slow down anytime soon. And in cold and wet weather my motivation to ride hasn't been at its highest.

RP had some body work done, which was very useful to watch. He's really started to come out of his shell recently and was very receptive to being worked on. He had tension/soreness in places that I expected (poll, left side of neck, lower back) and some that I didn't (chest, withers). None of it was a major red flag, just things to work on/work through, and he seemed to enjoy the time quite a bit.

I also had the saddle fitter out to look at saddles for him. The saddle that fit him and me best was the Frank Baines Adagio. But by the saddle fitter's assessment he also fits my mare's hennig very well. I'm torn because I have felt that when I've ridden him several rides in the hennig he starts out the series of rides great, but then seems to be less comfortable by ride 3 or 4. So, I'd been riding him in my old passier, which he stays consistent in, but the tree is too curved for him. This makes me want to get a new saddle for him, but the saddle fitter thought the Adagio and my hennig fit equally well and I'd hate to buy the adagio only to find that he acts not so comfortable in it over time. Or perhaps the feeling less comfortable is because the work just feels harder and there is some general body soreness and I should stick with it? Hard to tell when he's still so green/weak and when so many other changes have been made in the last few months. As for me? I liked the Adagio a lot, but I LOVE my hennig.

Had a lesson today on MM after two months of no lessons. The last "lesson" was actually when my trainer hopped on her back in November. My biggest long term struggle with MM is keeping her truly in front of the leg and motivated. She's not a traditionally lazy horse, but she has to really believe the rider/handler means business otherwise she'll kind of shrug and take the easy way out. On the ground I have the right respect from her, but under saddle she often gives me just the bare minimum required. But if the work is challenging/interesting or if I get into a pattern of real determination with her, I have a horse that gives full effort. I think my trainer had kind of come to believe she was just a true push ride and somedays I just rode with more strength, even though I'd told him otherwise. But when he got on her in November she was 110% for him. And yes, of course he is a stronger, better, clearer rider than me (that's why i pay him!), but I think now he better understands that she's not a traditionally lazy horse, she is just a hard horse for the kind of rider I am. My natural riding style is to be like xanax, she needs a rider to be more like coffee. So, now my trainer is focused on creating a pattern of more intensity in order to get her more electric and motivated--warming up so that we didnt' spend more than 5 strides doing the same thing--tons of transitions, simple laterals, changes of directions, figures, etc and then after warm up being very quick to remind her to stay up and forward at the smallest bit of easing down. We had a really good lesson/ride with some excellent changes, but not sure how easy it'll be for me to recreate that more dynamic ride on my own...

Return to “Dressage Training”