2019 and Jan/Feb goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Dresseur
500 post plus club

Re: 2019 and Jan/Feb goals

Postby Dresseur » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 am

Chisamba, I was definitely thinking of you when I wrote that :lol:

I went from having to output a great deal of effort with not much response to only having to give a small effort with a lot of response and I didn’t catch that my effectiveness had changed. Being able to ride a huge variety of horses has had a profound effect on my riding and it’s easy to lose sight of how I need to modulate aids as my timing and overall effectiveness changes.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Love the insights! Dresseur, that is such an interesting (and helpful) realization. Your point about the long torso is very interesting. Congratulations on so much evolution and development!

Blob, I totally relate to your comment "My natural riding style is to be like xanax, she needs a rider to be more like coffee." I am definitely the rider who chills out the hot horse. That often works well for my mare (who is basically like a little cup of espresso, as long as it is above 50 F), but finding my inner caffeinated rider is also very helpful! (ex. to create an electric aid/response when the mare is less pumped).

Today it is 40 F and drizzling. The mare will not be feeling her best, but exercise we must (because it helps her feel better).

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 am

Sorry for all you guys in the snow! We're having a heat wave in South Africa. Between the afternoon thunderstorms and the 40C days, riding is going to be tricky over the next few weeks.

I've been away on holiday for 3 weeks, had a lesson this morning. My instructor started up the engines by riding Odin 3 times last week. Really appreciate it, because he can be dull and uncooperative after a long time off, so she got to be the bad guy. He was *very* glad to have his mom on board, methinks, because he was lovely this morning :D

My goal for the first few months is to do some ungraded shows at 2nd. We have new tests this year, which is exciting. For the first time ever, we can rise for the mediums, which is a big whoop for me, and I think a lot of other competitors as well.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Mari, thanks for sharing your recent experience with Odin and lessons. I have a lesson this Wednesday and the weather looks perfect for taking it on Rocky (as opposed to my trainer’s school horse). I have been a little worried about her first lesson back after her injury. I haven’t been able to ride her as consisitently as I would have liked in the last few weeks due to weather, my own sickness, and travel. But after reading how you handled it, I think I’ll let my trainer ride her for the first 15-20 minutes and then get on her myself. She can get very strong in the canter when she’s fresh and I don’t want end up “holding” her because I fear she’ll get up too much speed and start bucking. I have never let her get into the pattern of me holding her when she’s fresh, but I’m afraid trainer will want me to canter since I’ve been doing it a lot on the school horse. Normally when she’s fresh, I just longe her a bit in side reins, but since the torn suspensory I don’t want to do any longeing.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Flight wrote:
ETA - Yes, he's more into the bridle in a snaffle but can be a bit heavy for my liking :

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 9.45.33 am copy.jpg

He looks fabulous, even though he does look like a handful!!

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm

exvet wrote:I'm going to have to come up with a means of getting Junior on video again. One nice bonus with where I am taking lessons currently is that they have mirrors. I was able to see just how expressive and cadenced Junior is becoming at the canter in my lesson yesterday and it was to the LEFT! which is usually his more difficult side. .......

I'm going to start hauling him over to some of the steeper trails so that I can use them to build more strength in his hind end and stamina. I used to work a lot of road & tracks as a kid on an instructor's horses to pay for lessons on my ponies......something I also used a lot on Monty to help him with his conditioning and thus it will be used similarly with this stinker. Of course the risk will be that I'll have a little powerhouse to contend with - good when they cooperate, a challenge if they choose to have a mind of their own......LOL.

I would love it if you shared some videos!!! Your pics have always been nice to look at in addition to being helpful in my own training. Soloshot 3 (25 optic) has worked well for me. I don’t know if it’s still available at the reduced price but maybe.

I love how hills have naturally helped me condition my horses in the past. I lost my perfect trails a few years ago but now have another option opening up and plan to get Rocky out often. At least at her age now, 11, I’m not too worried about developing a powerhouse that I cant handle! Well, age and having a great trainer to get on her when necessary!!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:08 pm

Well I rode Rudy both days this weekend but it was bloody cold (mid-teens, Fahrenheit). I wimped out and did not ride Tio, but mainly because the frozen, uneven ground was causing more foot issues. Instead I trimmed his feet a bit and iodined them on Saturday, making him much happier Sunday. My abdominal muscles were a touch sore after riding, so I must have been doing something right i guess. I don't have winter riding boots so i rode in my leather hiking boots, making things a little awkward. Good news is that places where dh removed snow from my arena have melted and the footing is quite nice even if the rest of our little world is frozen.

A picture of rudy added just for grins. I swear he isn't as fat as that picture makes him look though. :lol:

20190113_170929 Rudy Jan 2019.jpg
20190113_170929 Rudy Jan 2019.jpg (138.8 KiB) Viewed 22125 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 am

It was 10F this morning, it took so long to warm up I did not get training rides in. When its below 15 I do mostly walk work and I let the horses roll in the indoor. Lol I hand rake after :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 am

Rudy is just protecting his organs from the cold, like any sensible mammal should...

Finally back to some semblance of normality here post-holiday and work catch-up. Laddie apparently enjoyed a little vacation, and is going well, except we seem to have lost some of our "through" in left lead canter and he's trying to pop his shoulder rather than honestly bend and use himself, but it'll come back--I hope we will have a lesson on Saturday and if we haven't resolved it by then I'm sure that will help. The right lead is just lovely, so I'm guessing we need to go back to strengthening that right hind again.

The farrier finally got adventurous with his trim after seeing this round of x-rays and seeing how much toe and sole he has to play with, so he's got some much better looking short toes and he's stood up well. He's sound and happy, but he's also on Previcox for the month, so we'll see how he does when he comes off it.

So all is well apart from far too much drama in the barn. But I'm not moving in the middle of winter so I'll just deal with it, I guess.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

2019: Great start, tough follow-up. In my first week back at work after the holidays, I was a paragon of accomplishment. Workouts before work? Check. Eating well? Check. Riding both horses after work? Check, and also they were great. On the up-and-up.

Then all of the leadership got back into the office, and my work has morphed into a hydra. Lop off one task and 4 pop up in its stead. Work travel is making the early-morning workouts more onerous-- and easier to skip. Top it all off with a pony that is having NONE OF IT the last few rides (Kiwi, what have I ever done to deserve this rancor?!?) and I'm feeling a bit bummed.

I did take my dog to our first Rally Obedience show, and had a blast.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:34 pm

I would love it if you shared some videos!!! Your pics have always been nice to look at in addition to being helpful in my own training. Soloshot 3 (25 optic) has worked well for me. I don’t know if it’s still available at the reduced price but maybe.

I'll look into the soloshot today. I don't know how quickly I can make it happen or if it's something I can afford; but, I have a lesson tomorrow. I'll see if my riding instructor would mind shooting some video for me at least on my phone.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Exvet, at least you are in the land of sunshine so it could be worth getting something like a Soloshot!

I am limited to using it on weekends (when I have time to fuss with it and it is not dark). Between rain and a busy weekend arena, I have not used it in months. I'm hoping the weather improves at some point so that I can get back to it, as it is very useful.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Well I looked and it's not a toy I can afford; so, I'll see if my instructor is willing to video tape any of my ride tomorrow. I have to get my car fixed and my mother was just put on cardiac meds that neither medicare nor medigap will cover. They suspect the A fib she was just diagnosed with caused her strokes. Until I can find a source in Mexico all of my 'extra' funds will have to go there.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 pm

exvet wrote:Well I looked and it's not a toy I can afford; so, I'll see if my instructor is willing to video tape any of my ride tomorrow. I have to get my car fixed and my mother was just put on cardiac meds that neither medicare nor medigap will cover. They suspect the A fib she was just diagnosed with caused her strokes. Until I can find a source in Mexico all of my 'extra' funds will have to go there.

Much, much more affordable is something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/d/Camera-Tripod- ... ound+stand

I don't have one yet, but my friend does and she can wrap the legs around the arena fence so that her phone is propped up and ready to video and then the remote can get it started whenever. I keep meaning to buy it myself since it seems like such an easy way to track some kind of progress and get some kind of video, which is so helpful, esp when you don't have mirrors.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:40 pm

And now I have some flu thing...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Aw, rest up and get better Moutaineer. At least it's during a fairly crappy weather period (unless you like snow!).

It continues to be 40 F and rainy here...ick..until this weekend when the temps drop dramatically. More ick.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:39 pm

It's been wet and cold by AZ standards here in the valley. Fortunately my arena drains and dries easily. Everyone around me has been sick with the flu. I finally succumbed on Monday. Fortunately I've had the last 3 days off before I go back to work tomorrow. I feel for all those who have it or had it. It was too dark yesterday to get any video of my lesson (rode indoors). It's too bad too because my instructor kept remarking how expressive Junior is able to be more consistently with his front end at the canter now that he's moving at a better momentum and balance. The pieces are really coming together nicely. One thing is clear, though, he gets very naughty if he doesn't understand and it must be broken down into very small pieces, working each piece separately before putting it altogether. By naughty I mean kicking out or bucking or just freight training it. None of it in a dangerous send me packing sort of way, just not the cheeky worker bee he is 95% of the time. Once he understands what I'm asking for and want, he really tries hard to deliver it in spades. I can tell, though, I must be very careful with that type of 'trust' because if it's ever broken he is a real force to be reckoned with.....

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Full sympathy for those under the weather/dealing with bad weather.

Motivation to ride has been very low for me. I too have been battling a nasty cold, which just doesn't want to go gently into the good night. It's also been either very cold (for our standards) or wet down here here. The barn I board at has an indoor so, wet or dark is still rideable. But the motivation is definitely hard.

RP has been doing well and we've been incident free (knock on wood), he's still nervy about that first step after mounting. I'm hoping a lot of repetition without incident will do the trick. But I noticed the other day that he's especially anxious about movement in my right leg. So, I'm thinking I might try to do some desensitizing work with him this weekend. I'll see how he does lunging with the stirrups down on the saddle and then if that goes ok, I will lunge him in the surcingle with some old leathers (no stirrups) attached, so he can get used to something moving around freely against his sides and it not being a cause for stress (not that my leg should or will be moving around freely!).

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:47 am

Not getting much accomplished here between the rain and the other weather or my other responsibilities (aging parents and doctors appt). Joplin when she is getting worked is showing how sensible she is. Our farm is next to a tree nursery and they are clearing out in prep for spring. Their burn pile is not far from my arena. They were hauling stuff to be burned with a rattlely trailer and pulling it off with an excavator and piling it on the burning pile, no issues. Now Gaila had a come apart and ended up working way harder than she would have. Rain came in before I could get to Rip which may have not been the worst thing! He can be a spook, don't know if he would have had as much of an issue as Gaila did or not. The usual equipment moving around is not usually an issue, but this was pretty intense.

Joplin is ready to get back on but our weather is just not working with us. More rain moving in along with cold and wind. We get one maybe 2 just spectacular days (Wednesday was gorgeous) just enough to get a couple worked before my other responsibilities pulls me away before either rain or just plain winter (wind and cold) moves back in.

Mountaineer, Juliet the TB/perch I have been helping with who also had similar feet issues is lame again that low RF where she had the neg palmer angle issue along with collateral ligament problem. She will probably end up on the trip to vet next week (Rip's usual scope for cicatrix) for our vet to take a look at her. Thankfully our wonderful farrier and the vet are great friends so work well together. If it is that hoof causing the problem again not sure what else could be done. She's been shod for fixing that hoof problem as best as our farrier can, but only so much you can do with feet like hers (bad mix of TB flat and percheron platter:(

Stay warm all and happy riding for all who are well and with sound horses!

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:39 am

It’s been sooo hot here! I’ve mostly been up early enough to ride both but last night we had some wicked storms and I currently have six dogs here. All of which ended on or around the bed being scared all night, which meant me being awake all night. Fortunately it was a day off today. It’s too hot to even go in the pool because my white legs just buuuurn! Other than that the horses are going well. I’m amazed at how they will stand in the middle of the paddock and snooze when it’s so hot, they do have some good shade trees available.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:07 am

I've managed to ride 4 times this week so far. The afternoon rides were unbearable hot. I'm on for about 30 mins, only really schooling for 10 minutes or so, with a walk break every few rounds.

Had my first jumping lesson of the year this morning. Odin was very lazy, but perked up when we started doing a small gymnastic. Was huge fun. I'm definitely a bit rusty, even though I was away for only 3 weeks.

My instructor really wanted me to enter a show next weekend, but I feel very unprepared. My debut at 2nd has not been amazing, and I feel a bit discouraged and not inclined to show. Irritatingly, the stuff that we get marked down for is related to lack of ring craft, and lack of practice of managing a distracted horse at a show. Not things that can be fixed at home...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:05 pm

Two feet of wet, heavy snow here in the last 24 hours and still snowing, and windy and drifting... I staggered out to feed and check on the horses this morning for the first time in a couple of days (DH has been doing it, bless his dear heart,) and Lucky's blanket was a shell of ice--I have to say he was largely dry and not particularly cold so it had done its job, but he wasn't very comfortable . By the time I'd waded back to the garage, waded back out there with a dry blanket, extracted him from his carapace (not easy!), put the dry blanket on and waded back to the house, I'd used up my apparently tiny reserve of energy... blegh.

Now curled up in my office with the heater on pretending to work. I guess I'll get to ride again eventually.

Mari, that was my problem last show season. As my trainer said, the only way to learn to show is to show. But it is discouraging when you can do all the things at home and it all goes to hell in a handbasket in public. And some venues are worse than others. The place closest to me to go show--literally 30 minutes from home and the barn, in a pretty mountain valley so not painfully hot--just has a bad vibe for Laddie and I and we always seem to have tense, unhappy rides there, whereas if I trek out an hour and a half into the simmering desert to the other show facility around here, we do much better. Walker was completely the opposite, so I'm not sure it's just me!

Khall, good luck with Juliet. It's a tricky one to be sure.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Sometimes you have to push through a few shows to get the practice in Mari. If it’s forecast not too hot then I’d go, if it’s too hot then maybe not?

So strange to think there is snow somewhere when we are truly melting here! A blanket ice carapace (lol) is very hard to imagine!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm

I am longing for heat at the moment. It’s been very cold here so far this winter.

I had a good ride today though. It was about -17C or 2F with wind chill but Bliss and I were comfy. We mostly walked and did a tiny bit of easy trot. It’s been hours since I came in and my legs are still cold. Lol.
Attachments
A7C16B16-0B25-4DCE-8261-DEE3D0C97782.jpeg
A7C16B16-0B25-4DCE-8261-DEE3D0C97782.jpeg (73.32 KiB) Viewed 21835 times

blob

Postby blob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Wow, Rosie, you're bolder than me! In that weather, I'd be indoors, under blankets! You and bliss look great and appropriately bundled!

Mari, I also had a discouraging debut at second level last year that really zapped the show motivation out for me. I know i need to show more to get better, but I get nervous, I haven't figured out a show system that works, and it's easy to convince myself to save money/ keep preparing and not go. But I am trying to kick myself in the butt this year and do as many shows as logistically possible, no matter what my scores look like. I really want it to be something that is exciting and motivating, not something that fills me with dread.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:50 am

I am a terrible show rider. I ask too much lose relaxation, get nervous, dont want to be there, then I settle.

The more I show the more I enjoy it, the less I show the more I hate it.

I used to be intensely motivated, show monthly. Now I wait til I'm ready and do a show. It's harder this way.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks everyone! I know I need to do it more to get better, and I really do want to show, but it feels like this year is kicking my ass motivation-wise and it's only January :D At least we had a lovely hack yesterday, and splashed in the dam.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Rosie, you all are impressive and looking good! I'm especially impressed since it took me 20 minutes to get Em to stop pronking like an antelope yesterday in cold temps.

We have a visiting instructor coming to the barn next weekend but the forecast looks so cold.... :shock: We are wimps here in the mid-south.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 pm

It's very brrrr, as in sub zero here. Just taking care of everyone and thing was all if my energy.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Ugh, Chisamba. More feet of snow here and high winds so huge drifts. fences now only have top rail visible. I'm about done with this.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:47 am

I'm impressed with the riding in the snow Rosie, and looking that good while you do it!
Sue B, cute pic of Rudy and nice snow that I wouldn't mind rolling around in right now. We are still heatwaving and I really can only try and pack as much in during the early morning hours. I'm trying to get back to running as well, I did go for a run at 6 in the evening but it was still 37 degrees C (98.6 F according to google), and I nearly cooked myself so I wont be doing that again.
Mari, when our hemisphere cools down a bit, you might feel more motivated. It's zapping my motivation too.

I did manage to start teaching Ding 1x changes. We can only do one, but hey we can do one! I had NO idea how to ask for it, and I happened to see someone on a video on Facebook saying they've just started them. They introduced them from a half pass, so I tried that. After a good handful of confused goes, Ding did it! This is a vid from I think his third ride of me trying them, and he did this first go. I guess when that comes easily I just try and add another one on?

https://youtu.be/fD70Fn0Knqk

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Ugh, southern hemisphere folks--that is wicked heat! Be safe and don't overwork.

Flight, love your experiments and successes! I bet that will feed to a line in no time.

In pursuit of the electric mare, we did hand gallop sets in the arena last night. Once Em realized I really meant G O she did very well! More rain today. Then more cold (but pretty mild compared to the mountains and north of the US).

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:15 pm

That's awesome Flight! He seems like a natural! I know that Andrea teaches the first couplet on a circle - true to counter lead to back again. The hardest phase seems to be doing 3 1s because of having to go back to the counter lead. Once the horse gets that, you can start adding and it's a matter of strength and straightness. She does most of the 1s on the wall so that the horse stays straight.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:22 am

Great job Flight! You poor ones on the southern hemisphere, that is some hot weather.

Rosie you and Bliss are tough! All that snow and cold I would be huddled up by the fire refusing to step outside. I hate cold weather, heck I freeze here in Georgia when it is in the 40's!

I am getting nothing done right now riding wise. I did haul Rip up and his scope is looking good, holding with just the bit of webbing in front of the epiglottis. Going to scopes every 4 months now:) Juliet came sound, we will see if she will stay sound. No idea what was going on with her.

Our weather is beyond crazy right now, in the last week we have had temps in the 70's! Horses are sweating with their winter hair (my old girl Gallie poor girl is the worst, Rip is clipped so is ok) then the temps plummet with howling winds, feels like in the 30's happened last Sat and Sun. Same roller coaster today, 70 howling wind, going down not quite as cold 40's with wind. So far we have been up and down and up and down like this for a bit. Hard on the horses. More rain to go with all of it, course the wind dries it up the next day. Not dealing with snow, frozen and impossibly cold temps, but still has not been a fun winter this year.

Hope all can get back into a routine whether we are dealing with summer or winter! I know I really want to!!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:16 am

Awesome job Flight!

Don't know how you guys survive in the snow. This is what you're missing in sunny South Africa :lol:

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:01 pm

I feel for those who suffer both extremes in weather. I no longer deal with snow/ice etc and am thankful for having anything but 100+ degrees right now though I know it's coming. Unfortunately I was not able to get video yesterday of my lesson (again). It's just too dark in the covered arena to get anything that you can see. Next week though there is a good chance we'll be schooling tests in the outdoor so maybe then. I had a good lesson yesterday. I got some pretty nice short sequences of medium (sitting) trot with lots of "appropriate" expression. I'm not really focusing on it for schooling purposes other than playing around with elasticity within the gaits. This helped to continue our progress with really nice steady momentum and cadence to our canter both directions. I was even able to introduce shallow serpentines at the canter which Junior handled well in each direction. We still go back and forth as to a better side though it seems to switch almost weekly but the vision of the future barring any unexpected injuries is becoming clearer and brighter. My instructor stated that it was the best she's seen Junior with accepting and finishing the connection over his back and through to the bridle, recycling it.

On a down note, my daughter informed me a couple of days ago that she's selling our stallion. She has been struggling with many things that have prevented her from riding or using him and it's a waste not to have him with a more active breeder. It breaks my heart but I know it's what is best. Junior is certainly the epitome of our breeding program. Hopefully other equally willing and talented welsh cobs/crosses will be produced in the future under another's guidance.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 am

Still battling tricky weather--lots of wet, lots of wind, lots of cold (for us anyway). But trying to stay motivated through it. We're scheduled for some ice/snow next week, which will be a bigger challenge if that happens. Hoping we either get snow instead of ice or just some cold, dry days.

MM: The last few lessons with my trainer, we've been working on getting MM's frame higher and her collected canter a lot more active. The lessons have been really good--with some canter work that has felt really, really great--uphill, through, powerful, adjustable. But in the time between our lessons (lessons are once a week usually), we've been struggling. In an effort to get her up and forward, I often get what feels like flat and strung out. Other times I get the right kind of balance and power, but without the suppleness. It's a weird place to be in because lesson rides have been some of our best in months, rides between have been some of our worst.

RP: still working on establishing what is 'normal' for us. His nerves vary quite a bit from day to day. Sometimes for clear reasons (unusually cold and windy day) and sometimes not. But we've had some very good rides and good moments. We're at that stage that now that he's put on weight and gotten more comfortable, where the level of work is increasing. He still has a lot of strength to build, so more transitions, longer work, more bending lines, etc. When he gets tired he just wants to drop down into stretch trot and sometimes gets quite pushy about it--so we're also finding that balance where he understands he can't just decide to be done when he's ready, but also that work doesn't push him beyond what he can handle.

Picture of the little dude finally with some weight (time to build that topline !) and lots of fuzz. He's also really dirty, but luckily with his coloring it's hard to tell how much is mud and how much is roaning. :lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 10.15.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 10.15.09 PM.png (186.34 KiB) Viewed 21440 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Very cute Blob, he looks like Helicon/Glannant breeding. The last two days here have been very nice in terms of weather. Heading out for a trail ride this morning on our two. Looks like the stinker pony will be coming back too once the stallion is sold/leaves, since his baby sitting services will no longer be necessary.

kathel
Greenie

Postby kathel » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Freezing greetings from Scandinavia :D Temperatures range from -10C(14F) to -30C (-22F), which is quite normal at this time of year. There's a lot of snow this winter, awesome environment for training in the snow, both horses have developed a lot of muscle and strength :) When I'm dressed warm enough, training is fun and the winter wonderland is so beautiful!
We have now regular lessons, skillful GP-rider teaches me with Cody 1-2 times/month and another coach (great with young/green horses) teaches me with Lloyd 1-2 times/month. Both horses are still barefoot, it works great because there is a lot of snow.
I am currently pleased with the progress. Cody is back on track again, he moves in a steady rhythm and is more supple. Lloyd has begun to come out of his shell, he is excited to work. I talked to the coach about Lloyd's anxiety with canter. We decided that I don't try canter under saddle until he is 100 % relaxed with transitions from a walk to a canter on the lunge. I believe we will reach that point soon. Bucking has decreased as he has gained self-confidence.

-Goals-
Cody:
training in the snow
training indoor arena at least once in month
nose forward-theme continues
sharper reactions to leg aids
developing counter-canter

Lloyd:
introducing training in indoor arena
hacking without Cody's company
walk to canter transitions on the lunge line
Attachments
DSC_0765small.jpg
DSC_0765small.jpg (207.41 KiB) Viewed 21412 times
DSC_0686ksmall.jpg
DSC_0686ksmall.jpg (152.17 KiB) Viewed 21412 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:56 pm

exvet wrote:On a down note, my daughter informed me a couple of days ago that she's selling our stallion.

I'm sorry to hear this, exvet. I hope he ends up in a great breeding program.

Great now pics, kathel! It's so much fun to ride in a great snowfall like that!! :D

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Love your pictures Kathel, looks so beautiful. I wish we could get snow like that, but it's always on the move and this year it's a warm winter so freezing rain instead. :(

Since my arena is still pretty soft (wet) I did road work with Rudy--went about 3 miles this time--and I am pleased to report my back felt really good. Once he was warmed up, I did a lot of rubber band exercises in the trot, focusing on crisp hh. Soon as I quit using so much hand, they got really nice, even in a rising trot. Also did some si and travers in walk and trot because I could look at his hoof prints and see how he was tracking. Anyway, you would think with all that "work" stuff, Rudy would have been happy to head home, but NO, he wanted to stay out longer! :P I had to make him go though, because the sun was heading down and I still had Tio to work.

Tio was soooo happy to get in the arena and work that he was wanting to paw while I was rigging up his side reins and lunge line. There's enough ice and slick skiff of mud that he is afraid to cut loose in the pasture, and my arena footing is very secure. Needless to say, quite a bit of bucking took place early in the lunging, but he eventually settled into very nice work in walk and trot. I am so torn about whether to send him off or not. Meanwhile, i am sticking to having his feet trimmed every 4 weeks, so there won't be any more nasty abscesses (I hope).

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Finally back in the saddle again after a 2 week bout with some kind of stomach flu. Our current project after our break is "stand up on your right shoulder and quit laying on my right hand." On Saturday my trainer got on and worked with him, and it was such a treat to get on afterwards and have him honestly even. It can be done. So, my homework for the week is lots of lateral work, counterbending, remember to use my outside leg (!), No holding him up with my hands.

I clipped him again yesterday--tired of having a wringing wet, steaming horse the looks like I've worked the stuffing out of him at the end of every ride and takes an hour to cool out! We aren't expecting the cold you folks east of us are meant to get this week, fortunately, but he snuggled up in his heavyweight Rambo.

I've watched quite a bit of the live feed from the Adequan West Coast dressage festival this weekend. (All still on their facebook page if you are interested.) I find it interesting watching the national classes because it's all a bit more relatable than watching the superstars all the time. Some really nice rides, some not so great rides, good commentary from Axel S. We all put our breeches on one leg at a time and we all face the same issues :)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Tuddy wrote:Starting off 2019 slow but this is what I have jotted down so far:

* I am hoping to start lessons this month, just waiting to hear back from my coach as to what days/times are available.
* I have a saddle fitter coming out to my place on Sunday to do tracings of both Yonka and Tuddy so that I can take them with me if/when I start saddle shopping. (I am hoping that the saddle that I do have already fits, so that I don't have to purchase.)

Goals met....

I had my first lesson on Friday - wow, it was sure nice to sit in that saddle! Hoping to have a weekly lesson until last week of march, then I need to take some time off because of work commitments. My coach is happy to see me back on her place, and her horses, and she gave me her show jumping horse to ride. This horse is not in her lesson horse string, but she has faith in me that I can handle her. Her other students had a little green look of envy, but they got over it. Lol. Excellent lesson, my previous lessons kicked in and my coach was impressed on the baseline I gave her to start building a plan for us.

I had the saddle fitter out, and I need a hoop tree for Yonka, the search is on!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:59 pm

Miro had his spring shots, and while he wasn't 100% as of last video sent to my vet, my vet wants me to start hand walking him. He feels that controlled exercise (walking) will help. Especially with Miro's weight problem. At this point, I can't feed him any less. It's worrisome and discouraging.

Also discouraging is how feral Miro is to just walk. I thank my lucky stars that he doesn't ever come into my space, but it makes me wonder if I'll even be able to get on board him safely to get him back into work. I've never drugged a horse before (other than vet/dentistry needs) but I'm seriously considering resurpine for when it's time to come back into work for real. I do have some oral ace coming my way because I'm uncomfortable with sticking him every time he needs a video taken to send to my vet. I just hate this.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:49 pm

I'm sorry, Dresseur. I hate to hear you sounding so down.

This has got to be the worst time of year to be handwalking.

It will be all right eventually, and there's no shame in better living through chemistry, especially if it stops you both from getting hurt.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:58 am

Mountaineer-- sounds like good progress! It's always good to recognize the small ways we are uneven. I am also working on correcting some right leg issues!

Tuddy -- so glad to hear you're back in the saddle and had a good lesson! And fingers crossed for a saddle for Yonka soon. I have noticed some good used Black Country's for sale with hoop trees. Hopefully you'll find something you both love.

Dresseur -- stall rest and handwalking is so tough on the horses and on the owners. Don't feel bad about giving the oral ace--it's not just about making you safer (which is critically important), but it's also about making him happier/more relaxed when he's full of energy he can't release. Also the more you get into a pattern of hand walking, the easier it will hopefully get. Fingers crossed his recovery continues quickly and smoothly.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 am

Dresseur, Reserpine is making our life mostly bearable right now. I would definitely use it again. Hope Miro gets better soon.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:01 pm

sorry dresseur
I hope to be back riding soon, forty below F windchill and snow. Otherwise things previously have been going well.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Ryeissa wrote:I hope to be back riding soon, forty below F windchill and snow. Otherwise things previously have been going well.

That is what we are dealing with too.... yesterday was wind, today is -43. Even though, I would rather have the cold, than that wind, man that was unbearable!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 am

Tuddy wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:I hope to be back riding soon, forty below F windchill and snow. Otherwise things previously have been going well.

That is what we are dealing with too.... yesterday was wind, today is -43. Even though, I would rather have the cold, than that wind, man that was unbearable!

yeah.... its tough. I can't wait to get back at it

Return to “Dressage Training”