Membership Questions

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
goldhorse
Herd Member

Membership Questions

Postby goldhorse » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 am

I don't show. The last time I entered a recognized show was 1975 so things have changed. Anyway, a grade 2 Paradressage rider is planning to show my Morgan gelding in rated shows this year and I partly sponsor her by agreeing to pick up all the horse related fees. So I have to join and also get my horse a membership. Do I join USDF? Or USEF? or both? I'm in California so joining California Dressage Society will get me into the group membership for USDF. Is that enough for an owner or does that only apply to riders?

And if anyone has dealt with Paradressage entries: At what point does my horse need a passport? Since Para is governed by FEI, the regulations confuse me as to when FEI rules apply and when it's still a national show.

TIA

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Membership Questions

Postby blob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:18 am

I can't answer the FEI related questions...

But the horse will need USEF and USDF membership. The California Dressage society membership will get USDF for you, but not the horse. You can do either yearly or lifetime for the horse, but if you're going to do more than one year it's a better deal to get lifetime.

Hope that helps some!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 am

So is there any advantage to joining California DS or just skipping it and just joining USDF?

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby blob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:46 pm

goldhorse wrote:So is there any advantage to joining California DS or just skipping it and just joining USDF?

There probably isn't much advantage for your situation. Normally joining something like California DS would cover rider USDF membership, make you eligible for you local year end awards, and lower cost/increase access to riding in clinics. So, it really makes a lot more sense for the rider rather than the owner to join.

In your case, I would go straight to USEF and USDF and get memberships directly.

Return to “Dressage Training”