March & April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: March & April Goals and Progress

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:26 pm

I can see why some QH people can't understand the ground manners issues that some of the dressage/jumper barns have. Queso is essentially "born broke". He follows anyone with his eye at their shoulder (or lower); when he was led into the barn by one of the young lesson students, he almost kicked himself in the chin trying to not appear too big.

Kiwi, on the other hand, still is sometimes unreliable when tying and almost lost her little mind the other day when the same lesson student had the temerity to wear tie-dye. I'm the same handler/trainer for both, but they have such a dramatic difference in reactivity/trust that the outcome is very different. Go figure, huh?

I had a tough week at work yesterday, so my two got relatively low-key work days with lots of loose-rein trail riding. I'm learning (slowly) that sometimes discretion is the better part of valor when it comes to stressful days.

On the plus side, the 4s on Kiwi weren't a fluke and are repeatable, and Queso is learning off-the-wall leg yielding. So we're on track for great things.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:31 am

So the grey mare decided to try and boss around a 17 hand draft x art deco grandson gelding. A barn helper who misread her name put Kimba out where Karma goes. Thank goodness they rushed to get me, although I was already jumping off my horse to rush out and break up the fight. Kimba was the aggressor so she deserved what she got but the two backed into each other kicking and screaming. The gelding went down and I was able to insert myself in between the combatants while my son and the now terrified working student retrieved K. Quite a few soft tissue whacks but than goodness, that is all.

She trotted out sound so I rode her, theorizing that activity helps bruising inflammation be dispersed.

With horses some mistakes are harder to rectify.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:23 pm

I rode the I-2 test at a schooling show this weekend, been getting the 1s in practice, and nailed them in the show warmup....and then 15 minutes later in the ring, when I asked for them, my horse was like "............what?" :shock: :roll:

Clearly I am doing something differently in the show arena (I assume stiffening up? Or letting him get behind my leg?) that confuses him, but I was so aggravated :lol: We are getting SO CLOSE to getting all this! It's so hard! Aaaaaaaggghh! :lol:
Attachments
IM1G_0421.jpg
IM1G_0421.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 22839 times

blob

Postby blob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Yikes, Chisamba!

So glad humans and horses are mostly ok.

Kelo--ah! it always seems like things change once we enter that show ring, doesn't it? ha.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:15 am

Ugh, Chisamba. Horses, really.

Kelo, yup. I think it's me, not him, but we can win the warmup and then turn into wooden dolls in the show ring.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Show entries are due for the late april show I was planning on attending this friday. So I need to make some decisions. Is MM ready for third? Or should we stick to second? I've committed to showing as much as possible for my own show riding improvement. I just wish i had another week or so to decide.

MM is doing well. Our field trip last weekend was great for both of us. We'd just been stuck in the arena far too long. I've been focusing on trying to improve our canter 10-meter circles, which I think will also help our changes. We don't quite get the sit we need to do a high quality circle. I know it's something she's very capable of--when my instructor sat on her and asked for a volte, she gave him a half piri and he was like 'oh, wow, she collects so easily'. So, I need to figure out how to ride the circle better. I thought I was having trouble getting her inside hind under enough, but I'm now starting to suspect that i'm actually having a hard time getting her outside hind quick enough. Maybe I can get someone to video my circles to see what on earth i'm doing to get in my horse's way.

RP has had a sudden onset of stiffness to the left. In the walk he is perfectly supple both directions. In the trot, he is a bit stiffer going left, but he will let me bend him left and soften him to the left. In the canter, however, he locks agains my left aids (leg and hand) and doesn't want to work through it. On the lunge, tracking left he has also suddenly begun fussy against the side reins in the canter. It's interesting that it's only canter. The bodyworker will come out soon, which maybe will help if there is any soreness through neck and back that's contributing.

In other news, I am trying to break in some new boots and the backs of me knees are bloody and angry about it. I wish there was an easy way to speed up this process!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:17 pm

Blob, with your personal showing goals in mind, I'd do second if I were you. Then you can concentrate on your ring craft and executing each movement as well as possible, rather than it being a stretch and waiting for the other shoe to drop the entire time, which is just so freaking stressful. If you are planning to show a fair bit this season, there's nothing to lose.

I plan to take my own advice this season. I think I've finally realized I'm not a good or confident enough show rider to just go wing it at a level I'm just skating by with at home like some people can... so, as we don't have the FC really solid in one direction, we'll be doing bloody second level a few more times I think, before we move up--the goal being really good scores and to maybe go to Regionals and do well!

And, try tack sponges under your heels in your new boots, and moleskin on the backs of your knees.

I get to clinic with Dawn White-O'Connor this weekend. I need to get my act together and get more excited about the opportunity than I am. I've just had such a busy month that I don't feel particularly prepared, I'm feeling kind of saggy and I have a nagging cough that is sapping my stamina. I'm sure she'll be great and it will be an energizing experience. I'll report back.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:52 am

Well if it's any consolidation I LOVE second level. I wish we were there now. So for those of you who are contemplating doing it (again or not) you have my envy.

Hey Mountaineer how far way from SLC are you?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:53 am

Blob, I am one that skipped 2nd level and started at 3rd because I had solid changes. I never went back and got 2nd level scores for my bronze because 2nd level showed my holes. I admit it. I believe that until someone gets 2nd level down pat (scores well into the high 60's) that they will eventually have trouble at some point as they try to progress.

I have seen a few people that were able to get good scores at 3rd and then went back to First to get medal scores at had some marks in the 50's at First. Point being, that just because you can do some higher level moves and get 6+ for them does not mean you are confirmed at the basics.

I have also said that the scoring today is much higher, not just because of better riders and horses, but because of using the half point. Today's 65 is yesterday's 60 or maybe even high 50's. It used to be that 60% was an acceptable mark because if you go by the wording (which I don't believe many judges do) means satisfactory. That is no longer the case imo. A 60% at the lower levels I wouldn't be happy with. Now, a 60% at FEI is another story.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:18 pm

We have two lessons scheduled this week, then we school at the show grounds on Friday, then Saturday it's our first level debut, tests 1 & 2. I'm showing open so we'll see how well we do. I think Junior is ready. This week of course we'll know for sure. I haven't ridden the tests yet but looking at them online and on paper they look pretty similar to a few renditions I've done in the past. Junior has the trot lengthening down, just will improve with more strength. He's pretty good about letting me re-balance him across the diagonal so we'll see if my ring craft is there. We actually have reproducible gears within the canter so I think that too will be doable (meaning the lengthening AND the half-halt/transition within the canter). Fifteen meter circles and 10 meter circles are nothing to a compact welsh cob. We have even started to smooth out the issues we had at the halt. What it will all come down to is tension - the right or wrong kind. I know to go for the bigger scores he has to show power but to go for it means I risk causing him to brace............to avoid bracing all together requires me ride in a namby pamby sort of way - which is 'pleasant' but not forward or bold enough to get us much above a 6 with a few exceptions since he has such a nice canter..........decisions, decisions.......my other nemesis is keeping him straight but that too seems to be getting better. We shall see. Today and tomorrow is just going to be long trail rides and avoiding rattle snakes LOL.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Exvet, about 30 freeway miles.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:52 pm

I'll PM you. There's a young horse in that vicinity that has peaked my interest.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:59 pm

musical comedy wrote:Blob, I am one that skipped 2nd level and started at 3rd because I had solid changes. I never went back and got 2nd level scores for my bronze because 2nd level showed my holes. I admit it. I believe that until someone gets 2nd level down pat (scores well into the high 60's) that they will eventually have trouble at some point as they try to progress.

I have seen a few people that were able to get good scores at 3rd and then went back to First to get medal scores at had some marks in the 50's at First. Point being, that just because you can do some higher level moves and get 6+ for them does not mean you are confirmed at the basics.

I have also said that the scoring today is much higher, not just because of better riders and horses, but because of using the half point. Today's 65 is yesterday's 60 or maybe even high 50's. It used to be that 60% was an acceptable mark because if you go by the wording (which I don't believe many judges do) means satisfactory. That is no longer the case imo. A 60% at the lower levels I wouldn't be happy with. Now, a 60% at FEI is another story.

We've done mid 60s at second when I don't choke and not sure we can get TOO much higher based on our gait scores. MM is correct, but far from flashy. It's less that second level is a hole, but more on whether we're ready for third. Though last show was dusty, I was hoping we'd pick off closer to where we left off last, but no showing for awhile played a toll on my ability to put together a test. I'm not trying to run away from 2nd, it's a decent level for us and the tests itself highlights some things that are strongpoints that aren't in third-- such as CC, and haunches-in.

Mountaineer---it's true staying at second is probably better for my goals of learning to string together a test better, to not choke on my nerves. But I also need to push myself and MM, otherwise we will spend forever schooling counter canter serpentines. I have a tendency to get stuck and not move myself forward-- so it's finding the balance between making sure we're ready, but also moving on when we are--pushing for the challenge.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:55 pm

I hate to be a whiner, but while I've vented to a few friends, I'm sitting here at home, and just going back and forth between anger and..I don't know...depression? Inertia? On Wednesday, I got fired. :shock: Been on the job for 9 years with consistently good reviews. Last review in January was good, small bonus, but both I and my co-worker, who's been there as long as i, were told that there was now a salary cap. No more raises, ever. Well, not liking it but retirement is somewhere in the future.

They were rather nasty about it, and vague on the details of why. There has been no indication of issues, no "you shouldn't do that" or "this needs to be improved." When I asked for specifics, it was " specifics don't matter, the decision has been made. ". The partner with whom I work most closely is not an equity partner, so he had no say in the matter. They are expanding, remodeling, New people..I think it was a case of getting rid of the highest non-attorney salary, but of course they can't SAY that.

But now? I have a vacation planned starting April 21and this certainly casts a pall over it; flight is paid for (Landrover Kentucky 3 Day and visiting friends in Aiken, SC). I've applied for unemployment, going to an agency Monday re temp work, will look for full employment when I return. Just totally blindsided by this. But the horse is doing well, much more settled. Did I mention how angry I am?!?!? :?

blob

Postby blob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:42 am

UGH. Hot4Spots, I am so angry for you.

And how awful that they were vague and shitty about it. It may not be worth the hassle, but I think they legally have to site a concrete reason, the way they went about it seems like it could be grounds for talking to a lawyer...

Either way, sending you lots of jingles and hoping you find something good asap.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:58 am

I am so sorry, Hot4Spots. Lots of jingles for a soft landing.

I did talk to a lawyer after a similar firing (years of good reviews, filed a HR complaint against my new boss, and fired within 3 weeks), and subsequently consulted a lawyer who specializes in sexual harrassment claims. There was far too much he said/she said for me to pursue further. It’s small consolation, but, because of the number of company employees, my HR complaint was legally required to be reported to the state. Hopefully his next victim takes better notes.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:59 am

They offered a severance, not particularly generous, but.. Bird in the hand? It's actually an employment law firm! I think I'll get a consult, but agree it may not be worth the hassle. California is an at-will employment state, and as shitty as it was, it probably doesn't rise to the level of "wrongful termination." I have 20 days to make up my mind.

Had just spent parts of five days totally shifting, closing and organizing files, a very physical task, and I did comment that, having finished that task - which I set for myself and which had been left undone for two years because no one wanted to do it - that I hoped they felt they got enough work out of me!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:29 am

Hots4Spots, I would be livid, too! But as you probably know, something like this has happened at some point to most of us in the workplace, unless we have been incredibly blessed. Thinking of you.

Would you consider job hunting in Aitken? Not totally kidding...but it's a very nice area for horse people and super affordable compared to CA.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:23 pm

Just a few shots from today's easy work in the cross country field. I finally set up the Soloshot out there (it is about a mile from the barn).

arriving through the forest to the field.jpg
arriving through the forest to the field.jpg (176.78 KiB) Viewed 22585 times

open spaces trot.jpg
open spaces trot.jpg (205.47 KiB) Viewed 22585 times

cantering through the obstacles.jpg
cantering through the obstacles.jpg (143.07 KiB) Viewed 22585 times

It is so green in E Tennessee!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Oh Kelo my horse can do that too. Not that we are up to I 1 or showing tempis but flying changes is his best thing and at a recent clinic he didn’t want to give me any! That meme was exactly him :roll: :lol: very exciting that you are riding that level though!

Lovely pics Pied! Gotta love the solo shots when they work. Looks like a nice spot to ride in and your horse looks happy enough there too.

Hot4spots, very sorry to hear about your job. Not a nice thing to have happen. I hope this means you find an even better job next.

I’m in Japan at the moment on a holiday! Decided to go with my partner somewhere different and not where I would be tempted to go off and ride a horse. I think I may have seen one on a menu though :? There are so many people here, next holiday has to be less people-y but the experience has been pretty cool.

I did a another clinic the day before I left with my new ‘regular’ instructor. I think I am just going to stick with her now, no other clinics. The detail she provides is just perfect for me. Norsey makes me sit to the right when we are on the left rein, I find it difficult to turn him and with two little adjustments she helped sort us out. It was such a light bulb moment that if that was the only thing we did for the whole lesson I still would have been happy!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm

Don't let anyone tell you that dressage doesn't have a purpose! We went riding late yesterday afternoon out on the preserve next to our property. There's been an overabundance of everything alive - flowers, plants, and animals due to our weather. It's breeding season for the rattlesnakes. We're usually always on the lookout for critters; but, I got lax towards the end of our ride. We were walking at a brisk pace with Junior and I in the lead on a long, loose rein. Well all of a sudden I heard it and, no exaggerating, an approx 8 foot diamondback was raised and ready right in front of Junior's nose/chest. He/She were just hanging out in the open on the trail. It did not appear that it had eaten so while it was beginning to cool off it still had the ability to move quickly. Well those reinbacks and insistence that Junior give to the rein and shift his entire weight back on to his haunches saved him from getting bitten. Mr. Rattle refused to give his ground so our original plan of a relaxing 4 mile ride turned into a conditioning ride of 7 miles with trotting the latter half (had to turn around) to get back before dark........LOL, the fun you have in the desert - but we had great lengthenings, life saving rein backs and more than a wee bit of straightening work as I made DAM sure we did not stray off the trail (high weeds everywhere).

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Whoa, exvet, that is intense! Dressage training to the rescue indeed.

Flight, enjoy your horse-less adventures. Your comments on your trainer make sense---it is often best to just go deep with the method/trainer that is the best fit. Would love to hear about the adjustments, as I have the same issue on the left rein!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:41 pm

piedmont - I am desperately jealous of all that beautiful green.

Everything here is still brown and white, with another 8 inches of the white stuff being forecast overnight. :(

Yesterday it was actually quite nice here... about 55 degrees. Far and away the warmest day we've had this year. Bliss was very happy to soak up the sun. :)

The good news is, I have been riding since March 9th and am starting to build Bliss's fitness back up after the ice-ageddon that was our winter. I have been back in my arena since last weekend, so onward and upward!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:51 pm

I really love my grey mare. I feel like she is improving. I am tempted to do one more second level show to see if I can raise my scores.

Meanwhile we have flying changes but they are still tense and not always clean, especially right to left. Now that she understands I might put a cavaletti to help.

Trot work is getting a bit more expressive I think. I am letting her speed up a little to get the idea. and will work on slower rhythm in time
Attachments
SmartSelect_20190408-133500_Video Player.jpg
SmartSelect_20190408-133500_Video Player.jpg (212.08 KiB) Viewed 22501 times
20190408_142008.jpg
20190408_142008.jpg (247.31 KiB) Viewed 22501 times
20190408_142227.jpg
20190408_142227.jpg (197.64 KiB) Viewed 22501 times

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Piedmont, I too am jealous that you have space like that to ride out in. We have to trailer out to get access to big open spaces. What a treat! You guys look lovely.

Chisamba, great pictures of you and Kimba, looks like she's stepping under nicely with her hind leg.

I have been playing around with more lateral work for RP. Previously we were doing some very baby leg yields--coming out of the short-side on the inside track and leg yielding back to the rail. We've started venturing out further towards the centerline and LYing from there back to the rail. I've also started doing some baby shoulder-in/fore at the walk and asking just a few strides of it at a time at the trot. It's interesting because though he moves off the right leg more easily, I'm finding it harder to right laterals off that side trickier. He almost moves off the leg TOO much that direction and even the lightest touch can result in some crooked, side-ways rushing. On the left, it's pretty easy to regulate and get nice, consistent step-over.

He still has moments in general where something gets to be a bit too much and we just have to take a time out for a minute before continuing. But he's getting much better about letting me work him through some tough spots.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:36 am

piedmontfields wrote:Hots4Spots, I would be livid, too! But as you probably know, something like this has happened at some point to most of us in the workplace, unless we have been incredibly blessed. Thinking of you.

Would you consider job hunting in Aitken? Not totally kidding...but it's a very nice area for horse people and super affordable compared to CA.

Actually, I have friend who recently moved to Aiken from Charlotte, but she doesn't ride anymore. :D. seriously, I can't see shipping Mark all the way across country. He had a meltdown going from Livermore to Walnut Creek (22 miles). :lol: Still trying to figure that one out, since he showed quite a bit from age 4 to 11. He would be tense, but never had a major problem showing. *shrug*

I went to an agency today, and they fell all over themselves with enthusiasm about my resume, saying there is a shortage of legal secretaries/assistants with my experience, so fingers crossed.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:13 am

Hot4Spots. Well, that sucks gigantically. I'm sorry. They are idiots. Good employees are hard to come by nowadays.

Piedmont, grass? You lucky soul...

Mud, running water, melting snow, and another 10" due on Wednesday, is all I have to say about that. But in August you will wish you were here.

Chisamba, she's looking good! So are you!

So, this weekend's clinic... Day one was a bit boring. In fairness, I wasn't feeling at my best, and she needed to get to know us and our strengths and weaknesses, and she pinpointed a couple of areas that needed work. We worked out a better strategy for the following day--including doing the canter work before the trot work...

Day two was a good lesson. We decided to leave the changes alone--a first-time clinic isn't the right environment to work on them. We worked quite a bit on consolidating the outside aids, straightness (of course) and improving the quality of the trot and canter.

Nothing earth-shattering, nothing that different from what my regular trainer has been working on with me at home, but all relevant stuff, and a reinforcement that we are on the right path. And it was a nice weekend out with my dressage friends at a really lovely private barn that we wouldn't normally be allowed to set a hoof in, 15 minutes from my house. Laddie had a good time in the dry and perfectly level turnouts and immaculate 15ft square stalls, and the 100ft x 200ft indoor with windows and skylights all round, and I spent the entire time trying desperately not to make a mess in the immaculate aisles... I told him he'd better not get ideas above his station!

All in all it served the purpose of re-energizing me and getting me out of a sad little rut.

Thinking about it, I think the people who got the most out of it were the ones who don't have a good regular trainer themselves or were at the point where their trainer had maxed out. or are trainers themselves without really good eyes on the ground--she is very correct, holds the wellbeing of the horse paramount, calls out unfair treatment, and got good work out of everyone, even when it required some considerable effort on her part.

And the really good news is that this lovely barn is kindly going to host Mette for me next month :) Now that's a clinic I am really looking forward to.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 am

Exvet- scary :shock: :shock: wow and I worry about our brown snakes!

Chisamba, looking like some nice big trots there. You are both looking good.
Moutaineer I find that with clinics, the first lesson is not always great but gets better once the clinician knows where you are at. The clinics I’ve been too lately (that weren’t my sorta regular instructor) were the same in that respect but also in that I enjoyed the horsey time spent with friends.

The Japanese are so nicely dressed and groomed and quiet. I think their clothes sit so nicely on them too because no one is overweight! The food is great but much smaller portions than what we get in Aus and it takes a bit of time to eat rice with chopsticks :D We’ve been catching trains around the cities and while sometimes we are seriously jammed in ‘sheeple’ (people x sheep) crowds, it is great to experience a different culture.

Piedmontfields - basically she said to me put your hand on your left hip and poke your thumb on your hip joint. Now move your hips right to push your thumb to the right. Notice your pelvis has moved to the right and your left side might have collapsed. This is what the horse is making happen. So use your thumb now to shift your hips back to the left and keep your left chest lifted. You want to keep your right seat bone closer to the middle of the saddle, don’t let it slide off to the right. The ‘thumb poke’ helped me the most to keep my seat ones in the right spot.

Here’s a cool pic a friend got of Norsey. We are at the beginning of half steps and trying at the halt for him to start thinking of sitting more behind. He gets a bit dramatic when he’s not sure of what I’m asking!
517F586E-3D23-407D-86CD-13EFE86C4DCF.jpeg
517F586E-3D23-407D-86CD-13EFE86C4DCF.jpeg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 22454 times

blob

Postby blob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:56 pm

What a fun pic, Flight, looks like he's in training to become a performance horse. I was sure you were going to tell me you were teaching spanish walk, not that he was being dramatic, ha!

Glad you had a good clinic, Mountaineer. getting out of a riding rut is so important.

hot4spots, sounds like the temp agency might be able to get you some work quickly! Great news!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Flight, thanks for this: "You want to keep your right seat bone closer to the middle of the saddle, don’t let it slide off to the right. The ‘thumb poke’ helped me the most to keep my seat ones in the right spot." I had figured out moving my right sit bone toward the middle, but I like the tactile thumb poke reminder.
Chisamba, I like your grey mare too! She really has what I think of as that big Lipizzan trot (although it could her other half, too!)
Moutaineer, glad the clinic went well and that more fun is near at hand in the posh barn :-)
Hots4, I'm glad you are already getting positive feedback about your options!

For those with green envy, I'll say that it really is lush here in Tennessee. Like crazy moist rainforesty-lush. The ticks are already out in force. I actually want to move to the desert west later in life! I'm lucky that my horse does not have to wear a muzzle (she is usually more interested in watching scenery or doing a protest walk than eating when she is outside), but many horses do need one when the grass comes in. While there are many large farms in our area, not many combine land with good facilities and good care. I know I'm lucky. At my barn, it is pretty easy to do a 10 km / 6 mile loop through and around the property, including fields, woods and farm roads.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 pm

I know this doesn't belong on the training thread... but I can't resist, so sorry guys. Here's my barn this morning (and it's snowing again now, fairly steadily):
Attachments
barn.jpg
barn.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 22367 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:17 pm

yes, we are in for some snow too...nice pic but I really hate snow

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Love the picture, Flight! And condolences, Rosie, looks like winter isn't ready to give up just yet.

Down south, winter has well and truly given up. Temperatures hit (and exceeded) 90F this week for the first time this year, and we're all wilting a bit. Kiwi is starting to get the pirouette canter but gets frustrated if I ask for too much. We had a very similar moment to Flight's photo... except it was a very sassy levade.

Queso has an abscess brewing, poor guy. He doesn't have a lot of quit in him but tried to just stop and stand there when I was leading him in from the field yesterday, looking very pathetic.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:57 pm

I've struggled with writing this update, because with each telling, I get a little sadder, and a little angrier about the heartbreak that horses bring. Miro went through two rounds of shock wave, and after a total of 5-going on 6 months of stall rest, 2 treatments, lots of diagnostics, lots of alternative treatments, we have zero progress and zero improvement in his condition. I'm devastated. It's probably too early to feel this hopeless, and we have a plan - slowly transition him back into limited turnout and just let him be. Maybe he heals, maybe he doesn't. This is the horse that I saved for 7 years for, spent more money than I had a right to on, and has more talent than I have a right to sit on, and was going to be my first upper level horse that I could train to those levels (not that he cared about any of that :/ ) and he's broken. And I'm broken too. Heart broken and my injury is still preventing me from riding, which isn't helping. The silver lining is that when I am sound again, Miro has a spot at Andrea's and she'll trade me one of her personal horses so that I can keep riding and Miro will have the time that he needs. I just pray that some day he is sound again, it just can't end like this.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Dammit I am so sorry to read your update Dresseur:( I hope doctor green does the trick and Miro will be back in work later this year and you heal so you can ride and keep progressing. I know how heartbreaking horses can be.

Fun pic Flight! Norsey will have a spectacular SW!

Nice to read the updates (except for Dresseur's heartbreaking one and the more snow) looks like many are gearing up for spring and summer work schedule. I am trying but not being very successful. Weather last 2 days of storms, mishap at the farm Friday where we had some trees being cleared and they dropped a tree onto our hay barn:( so not only will we have construction going to build the apartment for my parents but to repair/replace our hay barn. Sigh

I did go audit Frederique Pignon and Magdali Delgado last weekend in SC and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Both are masterful horseman with true sympathy for the horses. Both are sticklers on correct biomechanics whether riding or at liberty. Take away from the weekend: correct biomechanics leads to a more balanced horse mentally and physically, take the time it takes, have positive outlook when working with horses, lengthen the neck during ridden work so there is no compression. Fred is a joy to watch with the horses, Magdali knows her stuff. Both are lovely warm and giving horsemen with great information to share.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Dresseur wrote:I've struggled with writing this update, because with each telling, I get a little sadder, and a little angrier about the heartbreak that horses bring. Miro went through two rounds of shock wave, and after a total of 5-going on 6 months of stall rest, 2 treatments, lots of diagnostics, lots of alternative treatments, we have zero progress and zero improvement in his condition. I'm devastated. It's probably too early to feel this hopeless, and we have a plan - slowly transition him back into limited turnout and just let him be. Maybe he heals, maybe he doesn't. This is the horse that I saved for 7 years for, spent more money than I had a right to on, and has more talent than I have a right to sit on, and was going to be my first upper level horse that I could train to those levels (not that he cared about any of that :/ ) and he's broken. And I'm broken too. Heart broken and my injury is still preventing me from riding, which isn't helping. The silver lining is that when I am sound again, Miro has a spot at Andrea's and she'll trade me one of her personal horses so that I can keep riding and Miro will have the time that he needs. I just pray that some day he is sound again, it just can't end like this.
It's a sad situation for sure. I'm sure you realize how fortunate you are, though, to have a trainer that accomodates you this way. That imo is very rare. You still don't have a true diagnosis do you? My rigid opinion is that hind suspensory injuries are never going to return a horse to complete soundness and are prone to re-injury. I don't recall if that was Miro's area of unsoundness or not. If you're out of funds, there is not much you can do. If you have a small budget, perhaps think about buying a foal that maybe you can keep at your trainer's place. Your ace in the hole is that you are young and you have decades to get to where you want to go.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:47 pm

We don't. The suspensory is not really an issue. It didn't make a huge difference when we blocked things, the primary injury is to the hip. The only thing left to do is a bone scan. We did trans rectal u/s, palpation, tried to xray it etc... but we all agree (including the vets) that to do the bone scan is good money after bad.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm

I am really sad to read that update, Dresseur. I hope time yields more insight and healing.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Dresseur wrote:I've struggled with writing this update, because with each telling, I get a little sadder, and a little angrier about the heartbreak that horses bring. Miro went through two rounds of shock wave, and after a total of 5-going on 6 months of stall rest, 2 treatments, lots of diagnostics, lots of alternative treatments, we have zero progress and zero improvement in his condition. I'm devastated. It's probably too early to feel this hopeless, and we have a plan - slowly transition him back into limited turnout and just let him be. Maybe he heals, maybe he doesn't. This is the horse that I saved for 7 years for, spent more money than I had a right to on, and has more talent than I have a right to sit on, and was going to be my first upper level horse that I could train to those levels (not that he cared about any of that :/ ) and he's broken. And I'm broken too. Heart broken and my injury is still preventing me from riding, which isn't helping. The silver lining is that when I am sound again, Miro has a spot at Andrea's and she'll trade me one of her personal horses so that I can keep riding and Miro will have the time that he needs. I just pray that some day he is sound again, it just can't end like this.

I am so sorry to hear this. But I think the plan to give turn out and time is a good one. Bodies are designed to be self-healing. And often when we cannot get the right diagnosis or figure out the right protocol, time and nature can still do its thing. I have had experience with turning out horses who were not sound and leaving them be with good success. There is a frustration in not really knowing or understanding but at the end of the day that barely matters compared to getting the soundness you need. Sending you and Miro jingles.

I"m also hoping you heal quickly and can get back in the saddle. I'm sure some riding time will help, even if it's not on Miro.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:50 pm

:( damn so sorry. Sending massive jingles

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:02 pm

I'm sorry, Dresseur. Horses can be so damned heartbreaking.

Rosie, ditto here. Its dreadful out there this morning. I'm just trying to mentally translate all this water into grass growth. But without a bit of warmth, it seems like a hopeless wish.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 pm

So, so, sorry Dresseur. Horses can be so heartbreaking sometimes. Jingles that eventually Dr. Green does the trick for Miro and jingles that you recover quickly and can start riding again. You are indeed blessed to have Andrea helping you out and you do have your lovely student to continue focusing on. Small compensation for the devastation your feeling right now, however. ((((((Dresseur))))))

Had a rough time riding this weekend, Rudy said I suck. My back/sacrum was simply not being real cooperative, making me think that it was dumb to sign up for the clinic this weekend. Tell me it will be worth the 2hr drive one way, possibly in the snow, likely in high winds and rain.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Dresseur, that is so frustrating and sad! Something tells me that he will improve with some extended turnout; I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Flight, Piedmont and Chisamba, I love all the photos! The Norsey pic is definitely one to hang on to.

Tesla gave me a scare this weekend. Sunday she came out of her stall curling her whole body to the left and crabwalking, acting like she thought she might fall over. I knew she was getting shots on the weekend, but I've never had a horse react badly to shots before, so I didn't put two and two together, and thought she'd gotten cast and damaged her neck or something. BO assured me it was from the vaccinations, and gave her some bute, and she was just fine the next day. Otherwise she is slowly progressing and likes getting attention, but is also a typical 3 year old brat.

Annabelle is working up to 15 minutes trotting on the lunge and should be able to start cantering in about two weeks. She is still a nutter though, so we're stuck with lunging and waiting on the riding until she can keep it together without needing Ace on top of Reserpine.

Sue - is it the Carrie Harnden clinic this weekend? I'd like to go audit, but just have a ton of stuff to do. I need to just make the time.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 am

Dresseur, that’s not a good update .. so sorry. I think turning out and seeing what happens is a great idea. My sister has endurance horses and if they go unsound they often get chucked in the paddock and left for a few months and come back good. I had surgery done on my first horses annular ligament. Did all the rehab as per the vet, horse was still unsound so I chucked her out in the paddock to retire her and noticed after another 8 weeks or so of her doing her own thing, she looked sound. Brought her back into work and she was fine. He is young so still time to hope. Fingers so crossed for you!

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 pm

My heart goes out to those struggling with horse health issues, people health issues and the other challenges life throws at us that always seem to throw a wrinkle or temporary road block in our plans for riding progress. Junior gave me heart failure earlier in the week when he kicked the fence in an attempt to kick the mustang. He just bruised his sole thankfully.

He's developed a VERY STRONG sense of SELF. This has it's advantage when showing but it has also translated into inter horse aggression that has been escalating. It would certainly be easier on all of us if our horses would just 'get with the program' and not risk injury to self or others.....................oh well I refuse to put him in a padded cell, at least not yet - he's okay in a stall but is the messiest horse I have; so, I have transitioned to bringing the pony and mustang in for them to eat so they can do so in peace. Perhaps that will cut down on the bite and kick marks.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:51 pm

SF, it's Cindy Canace. Yesterday we had winds in excess of 35mph, today a little less strong, but it's still only 40F out and the hills have a fresh coat of snow. The horses are galloping around playing stallion games after breakfast. :lol:

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Hugs to you, Dresseur. So hard to be going through all that.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:52 am

SueB, while good clinics can be so inspiring for months of good work, please do take care of yourself. Your back is important! Best wishes for whatever comes next, winds and all.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:06 am

This is a good time for an update as I sit on the couch drinking a little wine with my little Boston Terrier rescue that just had her left eye removed today. I think of the two vets on this forum and I appreciate them even more as I sit with little Pippa, thankful that my vet helped her.

I’ve been keeping up with this thread, and I have to say that I SO enjoy it. Especially the pics. The two grey mares, Kimba and Emmy stand out in my mind. Norsey’s dramatic pic is special, and there were some really nice pics of Ding, too. And going further back, Blob’s mustang and pony both are lovely. Really, nice movement. And Odin is spectacular as usual!! Dresseur, I am sorry about Miro, but more for you, than him, because I know how much you are invested in him. As other’s have said, turn out can have a great effect on healing. Our own bodies are wonderfully made, and horse’s too. We (and they) are capable of self healing. You’re young (as someone else pointed out) and so is Miro. Early in this thread I noticed pics of your new mare, and she is very attractive. I don’t even know her name, but I would love to hear of her progress and see lots of pics.

I love Dawn White O’conner as a rider. No idea how she teaches, but Mountaineers clinic ride sounded interesting. And Walker!! Gees!! You are a lucky old man to have gramanda (sorry, but that made me laugh when I read it somewhere) taking care of your old butt!!

I know I am missing stuff. Oh, RosieB, your red barn in the snow is sweet.

Okay so my own stuff. I didnt even have goals this time around, but I did have some progress. I still love my trainer. Even more. I have had four lessons in a row on Rocky and i am psyched. I was worried about trailering her every week but she is handling it with aplomb.Trainer is very happy with our progress. I am kind of amazed that 4 months of walk work due to the left front suspensory tear resulted in definite progress. So much stuff here but I’ll try to convey.

Going to the left. Flex her head to the right, using my right thigh to hold her shoulder in, and at the same time, using my left leg to keep her haunches left. Renvers, really. We’ve played around with this A LOT. The mirrors are super helpful.

Going to the right. Let the left rein breath with her. I love doing that. Push her into the contact on the left rein but don’t hold or fix the left rein. Feel it. It’s pretty cool! When I can get it! More of a shoulder in. BUT I need to keep her bent around my right leg, WITHOUT using my right rein.

Trainer is relentless on this stuff and I love it. She is Roccky’s advocate. It’s alway my fault and not Rocky’s!!! And of course, she’s absolutely right!

This is getting long, but one more thing. I wish I could do trail rides where I work in dressage. But I think I need to have my trail rides be just for relaxation. Maybe it’s just me. But Rocky seem to know when we have the western saddle and split reins that she can carry herself however she wants as long as she goes where I ask. She’s a hot horse and the relaxation on the trails seems to calm her. We have gentle hills and lots of terrain to negotiate but I don’t askher to do it in a frame. (And like exvet, we also have the occasional rattler!!! )

blob

Postby blob » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:31 pm

Demi, so good to hear an update from you! Glad you and Rocky are doing well with the trainer--it's so important to find a good fit. And sounds like there is some good consistent progress being made!

RP's stiffness to the left seems to be getting worse not better and it's become clear that it's not really about moving off the leg, but rather about accepting the left rein. I'm wondering if I need to have the dentist out again. When she'd come in december and worked on his disaster of a mouth she'd said she'd need to come back in about 6 months to get him fully back on track. It hasn't quite been 6 months yet, but I'm wondering if it might make sense to have her out, so I can rule out anything in the mouth. I don't want to push him to work through something if it's due to a dental problem. Otherwise, he's doing well--getting stronger and gaining a lot of confidence. His topline is starting to build a bit more, which means despite not a major weight change (I'd still like him to put on a few lbs, but he's much improved from the winter), but it has meant his belly has come up some. Currently his 18inch girth is on the second highest hole on either side. So, looks like I might need to look into a 16inch??? Surely some pony specialty place carries those...

MM and I are still working hard. I am feeling a bit frustrated with my own riding. I just don't feel as strong or precise as I would like to be. There are too many moments when I know my aids are getting muddled or my timing is off or when I'm not able to keep my body in the position it needs to be in. All and all, I am just feeling rather sloppy and like my body is just not doing what my brain is telling it to do. It can be disheartening to feel like you're holding your horse back. But I also have to remind myself that MM does not have dressage aspirations--she is not dreaming of moving up the levels. And yes, riding should be fair and enjoyable for her. But i'm the one who will be disappointed to spend a lifetime at 2nd level, not her.

Return to “Dressage Training”