Patrick King Clinics

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
greenhorse
Novice

Patrick King Clinics

Postby greenhorse » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:44 am

Has anybody gone to one of his clinics or know anything about him?

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Patrick King Clinics

Postby khall » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:56 pm

greenhorse, I've never ridden with Patrick but know who he is. His teaching is similar to the late Mark Russell (he worked with Mark some) now though was not always. He has been spending time working with the Valenca's in Portugal. He teaches in hand work and used to do horsemanship type clinics. I know some who have enjoyed working with him, i have just been a bit reluctant for several different reasons. I don't like group lessons generally, I worked with Mark Russell for a long time (9 1/2 years) not sure how much Patrick could offer me, I like to work with a clinician more frequently than once or twice a year (I hosted Mark 3-4 times a year and would travel to other clinic locations to meet up with him as well) and I have found Cedar Potts-Warner who has the background in training that I sought out (she is JP Giacomini's assistant trainer who worked with Nuno Olivera, Mark worked with NO as well) and I can host her 3-4 times a year. She is also showing at GP level.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Wow Khall you have had a lot of great instructors/clinicians!

I follow Cedar Potts on Facebook since she trainers under JPG.

Being an Iberian owner I am always looking for helpful hints on riding/training this breed.

I did a PK clinic 2 years ago, it was fun, I was very much a beginner and riding a school horse so I did not get as much out of it as his other students. Mainly worked on getting me to sit back rather than being hunched over. Many of his regulars were there so he was able to focus on what they really needed and wanted help with. It was a fun clinic and I would do it again. I've been watching some of the work he's doing with Callie King and following some of their inhand work videos.

I am hoping that next year I can join him on his group trip to Portugal.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. Right now Inam looking for in-hand training. I should have mentioned that in the first post.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Wow, hayburner! Group trips to Portugal??? Fun!!!

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:11 am

greenhorse, the instructors that I know that do in hand in what I consider to be the most biomechanically correct way is Patrick King, Jillian Kreinbring and Cedar Potts-Warner. Mark Russell is who I learned from the details of the in hand work. Bettina Drummond also does the in hand work, but I just did not like her when I audited her in winter after Mark died.

This trainer also looks interesting but I do not know him personally: http://www.trigomanuel.com

Or go to Portugal! 2 friends and I go this September to ride with the Valenca's which is where Patrick takes his groups. I just cannot afford nor do I want to have that many people to deal with when learning (his groups seem to be 8-10 for $4500)

http://valencaequestriantours.com/learn-with-us/ The Valenca program week is what we are doing.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 am

khall wrote:greenhorse, the instructors that I know that do in hand in what I consider to be the most biomechanically correct way is Patrick King, Jillian Kreinbring and Cedar Potts-Warner. Mark Russell is who I learned from the details of the in hand work. Bettina Drummond also does the in hand work, but I just did not like her when I audited her in winter after Mark died.

This trainer also looks interesting but I do not know him personally: http://www.trigomanuel.com

Or go to Portugal! 2 friends and I go this September to ride with the Valenca's which is where Patrick takes his groups. I just cannot afford nor do I want to have that many people to deal with when learning (his groups seem to be 8-10 for $4500)

http://valencaequestriantours.com/learn-with-us/ The Valenca program week is what we are doing.

I find his rates to be very expensive. $4500 is almost 3x as much as Valenca charges. Does that include the plane ticket?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:40 am

Khal. I am green with envy for your planned trip to Portugal!

Unfortunately, I do not have any barn buddies that would be interested in doing this, or I too would be going.

Patrick has a new on-line program starting up for in-hand work.

I bought a video from Manolo Mendez, just haven't had time to watch it yet.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:53 pm

I decided to try the on-line in-hand class. I can get my money back for 30 days if I don’t like it. So, I thought it was worth a try.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:27 pm

greenhorse wrote:I decided to try the on-line in-hand class. I can get my money back for 30 days if I don’t like it. So, I thought it was worth a try.

let us know how it goes!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:22 pm

chantal I am not sure of the details of what the $4500 covers. I don't feel I need a minder to do the trip to Portugal and yes we can do the trip to Portugal much cheaper than what PK is asking. One of the friends that is going to Portugal this year went with me in 2017 to Spain to ride and we loved the trip. SO MUCH FUN!

Hayburner I have the MM video as well. He just does things very differently than the way I learned. The way he does in hand work you cannot do as much of the intricate work than the way I learned. He does it off just the caveson and single line, I learned to use the bit and bridle.

Yes I know about PK's on line course, I signed up for the free course just to see how he taught and had a bit of issue with some. He just does things a bit differently again than how I was taught (using a halter initially, the turn thru the circle to go from position 1 to position 2 which IMO makes the exercise more difficult than it should be) I also am skeptical of how a rider can learn via on line especially if they do not have in hand experience and even more especially if they have no lateral work experience which is the case with some that were in the free course. The cost is not insignificant either.

Yes please keep us posted on the on line in hand course greenhorse! I was just not willing to fork out for it.

At this point I am pretty far along with in hand work and am finding great help with Cedar when I clinic with her.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:19 am

Khall. That's the reason I did not sign up for the in hand class. I have no experience using a cavesson or lateral movements. Unfortunately, neither barn I have boarded at has anyone that does in hand work. So there isn't anyone I can learn from or even watch do it. My mare is very antimated on the lunge line so I don't even lunge her, not worth the risk of another injury.

Return to “Dressage Training”