Microchip requirement for dressage?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
MaryC
Novice

Microchip requirement for dressage?

Postby MaryC » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:00 pm

I've tried searching here and on COTH and have come up empty on this one. The USEF now has a requirement that hunter/jumpers need to be microchipped to compete at USEF-sanctioned shows. There is language that the microchip requirement will be extended to all USEF competitions.

I quote, adding bolding: Beginning in the competition year 2018, the new rule will require horses competing for points under USEF to have microchips. In 2019, this will extend to all horses competing at USEF competitions. Many veterinarians already scan for microchips on a fairly regular basis.

Does that mean that horses have to be microchipped for USDF shows since they are also under USEF rules?

https://horsenetwork.com/2016/01/everything-you-need-to-know-about-usefs-new-microchip-rule/

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Microchip requirement for dressage?

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Yes, I believe they are required....... they are only 25 so I am going ahead with this anyways...the language isn't clear but my vets said I should do this
https://files.usef.org/assets/Os98F1mKs ... qs-pdf.pdf

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:57 pm

It looks like the microchip rule is limited to competitions with USHJA licensing (hunters/jumpers/equitation):
https://www.usef.org/learning-center/vi ... rochipping

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/sa ... te-in-2019

The microchip rules are only found in the hunters/jumpers/eq:
HU101, JP100, EQ103

blob

Postby blob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:06 pm

I also found this confusing. But so far the 2019 competitions have not asked for microchip info.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Q: Who can I contact for more information?
A: For more information about the microchipping requirement, contact USEF Customer Care by
phone at 859-258-2472, send an email to customercare@usef.org (please allow up to 24
business hours response time), or log onto USequestrian.org and choose online support to live
chat with a representative. USEF Customer Care representatives are available M-F 8:30am to
5pm ET.

MaryC
Novice

Postby MaryC » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:13 pm

I've sent an email off (thanks, Ponichiwa!), hopefully they'll clarify. Yes, entry forms don't seem to be asking for it, there's been no buzz on either of the boards, and all the regs I can find are h/j. Just wanted to know if I should get the vet back out or wait until fall shots! :lol:

MaryC
Novice

Postby MaryC » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Not needed! USEF responded very quickly with:

To clarify the below rule – in 2018 there was a transitioning period to allow those competing at USEF/USHJA Competitions adequate time to get their horses microchipped. This rule only applies to those competing at recognized Hunter/Jumper Competitions.

· In the 2018 competition year if the rider wanted points to count for Year End Awards they would need to present proof of a microchip number to USEF.
· In the 2019 competition year the microchip became mandatory for all horses competing at a recognized Hunter/Jumper Competition.

At this time, microchips are not mandatory for the other disciplines. The only time you will come across a microchip requirement for Dressage is if you apply for a new FEI Passport, as the FEI requires a microchip for identification purposes.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Its super easy, my horse got microchipped. piece of cake and super cheap....I expect this will be mandatory for all horses at some point....just a hunch

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 am

If nothing else, a microchip will identify the horse in case of theft or escape - I live in hurricane country and after a bad storm there are loose animals....

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon May 20, 2019 3:22 am

I got my horse microchipped in case of evacuation for a wildfire. I figure it's my best chance of getting him back if a good samaritan rescues him.

Return to “Dressage Training”