My goals...

MM:
Work on better timing for changes and more consistent response
Work on creating more shoulder freedom
Continue working on up, up, up
Cross train as much as possible
Look for a new saddle? (ugh)

RP:
Figure out next steps (is this a horse I want to keep?)
If yes...:
Improve lateral suppleness
Get more consistent and nuanced half-halt
Get off property to a show (schooling show or non-compete at recognized)

Me:
Stay hydrated as temps go up!

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May & June Goals & Progress

Postby exvet » Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 pm

How and how long it takes me to reach my goals will be predicated on my family's needs; so, my first goal will be to make sure I carve out time to ride.

Junior - We'll be focusing on much of the same - improve balance and strength and maintain what we've achieved on establishing straightness. By doing this I hope to improve the quality of gaits as well as throughness all-the-way-over-his-back-AND-finishing-into=the-bridle.

Ace (the mustang) - just keep enjoying his sweet nature, keeping him tuned up for the many visitors who ride him in addition to his regular trail duties.

Morgan, aka stinker pony - he now has his shoes back on so we'll start working him in hand and hopefully by the end of this period be successfully and safely back in the saddle. I just want him for a trail buddy. I'm hoping that is something now that he's had 18 months off after his turn out injury (aka Junior being a butt head) he'll subscribe to and be able to do.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Annabelle:
Finish her rehab
Use in-hand work to get her suppleness back
Hope to get cleared for normal work mid to late June
Restore her ground manners (she has gotten pushy)

Tesla:
Go off property (oops, missed that one last challenge)
Keep working with feet manners
Teach her to be a little more respectful of pressure
Teach to draw to the mounting block

She will possibly be getting OCD surgery around June 1, so TBD on anything else.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 pm

I plan to continue hauling out for weekly lessons and to do more trail work. The only other goals are:

1. Get video

2. Post some of that video.

That should be easy, right?

I had a good lesson yesterday and planned on a trail ride today but it rained last night and the trails were too muddy. So I charged the Soloshot 3 and was psyched to video. I havent used the soloshot3 much since i got it due to Rocky’s injury but I havent had any of the problems other people have reported with it. Until today. I fully charged it, refreshed myself on how to use it and then when I was ready to start, he tag wouldn’t turn on. I messed around and messed around and finally gave up and just rode. I don’t know what the problem was, but when i brought it back inside it started working again. If the weather is good tomorrow I’ll try again.

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Actually, I need to think about this some more. I should have some better goals. No lofty goals, just doable goals.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu May 02, 2019 10:34 pm

My goals are to be a bit sharper in my training and put more effort in. Stop avoiding the hard stuff.
For Ding that's keeping him reactive to my aids (and lots of pats and breaks to keep him happy!) and asking more of Norsey now. I keep taking the easy path.

Hope your soloshot doesn't play up for you Demi. Ding ate some of mine and licked the touchscreen but it's still working for now..

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Thu May 02, 2019 11:48 pm

I am in this time! I think winter might (maybe? finally?) be over. We've had the same horrible winter as many of you, along with terrible arena footing issues this spring. But, I just moved Autumn to a new barn and have full long sides available for the first time in months. The big perk, though, is that we now are on 250 acres with trails and permission to ride on hundreds of neighbouring acres. Goals for the next two months are to get our fitness back along with basic relaxation and straightness work (for both of us!). I've been working hard on my canter seat, so I see some longe line lessons in the near future.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 03, 2019 12:50 am

Flight wrote:Hope your soloshot doesn't play up for you Demi. Ding ate some of mine and licked the touchscreen but it's still working for now..

It's like horses have homing instincts for anything expensive. Once I pulled A's saddle to let her roll and she went straight to the SS, knocked the tripod over and was about to stomp it when I managed to chase her off. :shock: Then there was the time she dumped my best saddle just as I was walking around to do up the other side of the girth.

Well, I rode Annabelle W/T/C in the indoor today. She was a little wobbly, but the main buttons still seem to be installed. I think I'll be incorporating some walk work to help her get her U/S balance back while we incrementally increase the T/C work minutes.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri May 03, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm in this time!

Here are my goals for this period:
- Ride 4x a week
- have at least 2 lessons with a local FEI rider who has already committed to coming out to my place periodically
- re-introduce 2nd level lateral work starting in June

And the plan:
- build gradually on the strength I feel returning
- slowly add back in the more difficult figures and the lateral work, without compromising the lovely power he's giving me now
- build on the quality of the canter so that I can feel a flying change in every canter stride

Overall goal for 2019: Single flying changes

(I kept my goals SMART this time, and put everything else I want to do under the plan rather than the goals... for those that aren't familiar with SMART goals it's an acronym for Specific Measurable Achievable Relevant and Time Bound)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 03, 2019 3:05 pm

Yeah I use SMART goal setting! Its very helpful.

blob

Postby blob » Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 pm

SMART goal is a good reminder. I'm bad about the measurable part. I tend to set a lot of "better" and "more" goals when it comes to riding and that can be hard to track.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 pm

I am curious, how do you set measurable training goals in dressage?

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 05, 2019 2:18 pm

I like the SMART goals idea. It has helped to motivate me to set some goals this time. Thanks for sharing, Rosie.

Chisamba, for me, the measurable part is not actually measuring the goal, but measuring the progress. When setting the goals, it helps to have a quantifiable component as in (1) lesson per week, riding (5)days a week, riding a (2nd) level test, etc. Maybe if I was going to work on trot lengthenings, I’d video my lengthening on May1, and then again on June 30, and try to set the camera up in the same place and do the lengthening in the same place, like from B to F. I think using the tests is a good way to measure progress.

With that in mind, I am not going to get up from this spot in front of my tablet until I have set myself some SMART goals for this thread :shock: :D 8-)

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 05, 2019 2:49 pm

May and June GOALS:
Continue with 1 lesson per week.
Ride 5 times a week: 2 on trail, 3 in the arena including my lesson ride.
Video a Training Level test 3 this week
Video a Training Level test 3 sometime in the last week of June.

The Plan:

Be determined to keep all my lessons in spite of rainy days and high heat days. Of course, Rocky’s safety and comfort will still take precedence and I will take precautions to keep her safe and comfortable.

Be determined to keep my riding days. If it’s raining on a dressage day I will use my old dressage saddle so I won’t get my new one wet, and if it’s raining and or windy on trail days, I’ll use my western tack. I’ll not let the muddy trails stop me, although I will be extra careful.

All my “training” will be at my lessons. For my areana rides at home I will just ride training and first level stuff. With the combination of my personality and Rocky’s, I need to keep things low key.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Chisamba wrote:I am curious, how do you set measurable training goals in dressage?

I can think of some - e.g. W/C transition with no trot steps, (or when A. was greener, canter 20m circle without knocking down any cones), get the correct angle of LY (or HP) to arrive exactly at X, achieve 4 tempi changes in a line. Many of them would probably have to do with riding an accurate test/improving geometry.

Meanwhile, I'm over here trying to get Tesla to rest her hoof on the hoof jack. I think we made it 15 seconds last night. :lol: She is being nicer about giving to pressure on both sides from the ground though, and last night I introduced yielding away from the carrot stick. She is a smart one that has opinions about things.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun May 05, 2019 4:04 pm

I have done SMART goals in dressage and agree with SF. It can be something concrete like "my canter walks will have no trot steps" or "I will ride 5x a week"
I will do half pass 1ride a week
I will get 65% at X Level
I will ride for 45 mins X times

Examples

I Want to Start a Business
Specific: I will sell handmade cards through Etsy.com.
Measurable: I will be ready to take my first Etsy order within four weeks, and I will aim to sell a minimum of five cards per week.
Attainable: I will get set up on Etsy first. Then I will build an inventory of 30 handmade cards to sell. Finally, I will promote my business and build customer relationships through word-of-mouth, referrals, and local networking.
Relevant: Selling handmade cards will allow me to benefit financially from my favorite hobby.

Time-Based: My Etsy store will be up and running within four weeks, and I will have an inventory of 30 cards to sell within six weeks.

S.M.A.R.T. goal setting: Measurable
Measurable goals means that you identify exactly what it is you will see, hear and feel when you reach your goal. It means breaking your goal down into measurable elements. You'll need concrete evidence. Being happier is not evidence; not smoking anymore because you adhere to a healthy lifestyle where you eat vegetables twice a day and fat only once a week, is.

Measurable goals can go a long way in refining what exactly it is that you want, too. Defining the physical manifestations of your goal or objective makes it clearer, and easier to reach.

S.M.A.R.T. goal setting: Attainable
Is your goal attainable? That means investigating whether the goal really is acceptable to you. You weigh the effort, time and other costs your goal will take against the profits and the other obligations and priorities you have in life.

If you don't have the time, money or talent to reach a certain goal you'll certainly fail and be miserable. That doesn't mean that you can't take something that seems impossible and make it happen by planning smartly and going for it!

There's nothing wrong with shooting for the stars; if you aim to make your department twice as efficient this year as it was last year with no extra labour involved, how bad is it when you only reach 1,8 times? Not too bad...

S.M.A.R.T. goal setting: Relevant
Is reaching your goal relevant to you? Do you actually want to run a multinational, be famous, have three children and a busy job? You decide for yourself whether you have the personality for it, or your team has the bandwidth.

If you're lacking certain skills, you can plan trainings. If you lack certain resources, you can look for ways of getting them.

The main questions, why do you want to reach this goal? What is the objective behind the goal, and will this goal really achieve that?

You could think that having a bigger team will make it perform better, but will it really?

S.M.A.R.T. goal setting: Timely
Time is money! Make a tentative plan of everything you do. Everybody knows that deadlines are what makes most people switch to action. So install deadlines, for yourself and your team, and go after them. Keep the timeline realistic and flexible, that way you can keep morale high. Being too stringent on the timely aspect of your goal setting can have the perverse effect of making the learning path of achieving your goals and objectives into a hellish race against time – which is most likely not how you want to achieve anything.

SMART+ goals
Another thing that's very important when setting SMART goals, is formulating it POSITIVELY. Remember that what you focus on, increases. So when you focus on NOT doing something, all you think about is that thing. And it will increase. So don't 'stop procrastinating', but 'achieve a daily discipline'.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm

nm
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 05, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks for the details on SMART goal setting, Ryeissa. Interesting stuff, but for me, this part especially:

SMART+ goals
Another thing that's very important when setting SMART goals, is formulating it POSITIVELY. Remember that what you focus on, increases. So when you focus on NOT doing something, all you think about is that thing. And it will increase. So don't 'stop procrastinating', but 'achieve a daily discipline'.

When i rode today after setting my goals, it was fairly easy to decide what to do, how to ride today. I decided to do a trail ride since after today its going to rain for the rest of the week. It was muddy because we’ve had 6 1/2 inches of rain since Thursday, but my goal was simply to get in my trail ride. Really, not much pressure. And the result was a nice time where Rocky got some good hill work in spite of the mud. And I got to concentrate on my position.

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Ryeissa wrote:My horse and I did awesome in a two day clinic. Half pass is getting a lot better, as are mediums. He was so good and happy to work for both lessons. I am on track and can see more clearly a summer plan with shows, clinics, and lessons.

This post made me smile. Like, “this is what it’s all about”.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun May 05, 2019 9:18 pm

demi wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:My horse and I did awesome in a two day clinic. Half pass is getting a lot better, as are mediums. He was so good and happy to work for both lessons. I am on track and can see more clearly a summer plan with shows, clinics, and lessons.

This post made me smile. Like, “this is what it’s all about”.

Thanks!

Riot never has a bad attitude and is always happy. I am very lucky

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon May 06, 2019 12:27 am

Get through the May yee-haws safely.
Get his neck out a bit longer and throatlatch open a bit more while not allowing him to fall down on his forehand.
Figure out the head tossing thing-it's minor, wondering if it's the bit or the saddle. His saddle is coming in a few weeks, finally. It may also partiallly be the developmental stage we are in, him figuring out things. I don't worry about it, I stay consistent.
Get my position more solidified, knees down, not giving away elbows at the trot, looking up, no curve in my back, hands low (I'm sure there are more).

Get him more relaxed in lunge work, he's good at the walk, but gets stressed at the trot. Work in progress, we need more time and have time this month as I'm trying to avoid a ton of saddle time with my old saddle to avoid soreness.

More pole trot work and a little more trot canter work when hacking. This may be a after the grass high settles a bit.

Oh, and getting a safety vest for me for hacking.

Edited to add-continue having fun!
Last edited by chantal on Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon May 06, 2019 10:04 am

Another Bliss pic to share.. He's mostly shed out in front but still has some winter coat to lose on his flank and butt. :)
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (77.83 KiB) Viewed 23147 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Love seeing Bliss in action without snow! :-) Nice to "see" Quinta, too! I look forward to all of your updates. I think we need new Laddie photos, too (hint hint). And I look forward to your photos/video Demi! For those of you who have survived winter, be safe, have fun and enjoy riding outside!

I feel I should confess that I am not a SMART goals sort of person... but that's not to say that I don't see how it is useful! I tend to plan/act in terms of "trending towards." Does this action/choice/activity bring me closer towards something that is important, further away, or do nothing towards it?

As I've mentioned on another thread, I've been re-reading Mark Rashid and just generally thinking about the clarity of my communication with my horse. I think that is the main theme I want to keep addressing in these months: Did I listen to Emi and did I communicate effectively and consistently with her? This kind of relates to being a good coach for my horse, too.

Here's a little example of why I think this could be rewarding for us. This weekend I was warming Emi up in trot in the fields. She felt relaxed and was willingly dialing up her trot when she surprised me with a fairly sudden, but balanced halt. Instead of sending her on, I decided to listen to her. She raised her head and looked to the right, spotting a neighboring farmer in a tree line about 300 m away dragging a gate for a cattle pen into position. I had not noticed it. She watched for about 10 seconds and then put herself back on the bit and waited. I asked her to resume work and she was very happy to do so. We ended up with one of the best rides we've had in a while---both very relaxed and flowing and energetic. We even did some galloping. It was a very simple reminder to me that listening to the horse can yield rewards for the work you do together. It would have been easy to just leg her on when she stopped and she would have kept working---just with a bit more tension and will a bit less partnership in that environment.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon May 06, 2019 1:43 pm

I finally have my arena footing finished and in the perfect shape; so, we were able to set up cavallettis and work on the walk. Of course as we've been focusing on the canter and transitions especially the proper balance/bearing within those transitions......all of a sudden......I have the walk to canter and canter to walk transition. They were just there! The other bonus was Morgan, aka stinker pony, looked absolutely great while working on the lounge line. I hope to be riding him by the weekend......

I too would love to see pictures of everyone, hint, hint!

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Great to hear everyone updates and goals as everyone on the Northern hemisphere hopefully fully emerges from any lingering winter.

@RosieB, you and bliss look really lovely together!

The summer grass has really come in with a bang that last few weeks and as a result RP has suddenly put on noticeable weight and MUSCLE is finely showing through. He has a glimmer of a respectable topline! Hurrah! Of course, the bad part is that with this muscle and weight, he's happily outgrown his saddle. So, while my goal this month was to find a new saddle for MM, it looks like I might be shopping for two. My wallet is definitely not going to be happy about that. But perhaps I can find something inexpensive for RP as I suspect he will continue to grow/change. Or maybe I'll find some magical saddle that works on both?? Either way, the saddle search process is never my favorite, but alas here we go.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Mon May 06, 2019 8:08 pm

Here's a picture of Autumn in her new digs. We've been out on the trail twice, and she has been happily charging through all of the creek crossings.

autumn.jpg
autumn.jpg (109.81 KiB) Viewed 23088 times

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 pm

I am tying to get pics but it isnt working for me. Yesterday the weather was nice so I needed to do my trail day. Today, my “arena day”, it was overcast and sprinkling. I got the soloshot out anyway and set it up just inside the barn to sheild it from the rain, but I couldn’t get a good enough gps signal. So no video, but at least, I had a nice arena ride in spite of the sprinkling.

It’s suppose to rain all week here :shock: . We seem to be having an unusual amount of rain for this area.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon May 06, 2019 10:59 pm

Exvet, you asked-I would love a pic of us from a lesson or clinic. Hopefully in a few weeks. He was really up and DH was taking pics so... it is what is. It's much better than 1 year ago when I was riding a different horse 2x a week, if that. Here's the one I posted in the young horse forum. We have lots to work on.
Attachments
_DSC1742 - Edited.jpg
_DSC1742 - Edited.jpg (160 KiB) Viewed 23070 times

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Nice pic, Chantal!!! Thanks for posting!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue May 07, 2019 2:18 am

Thanks for the pics! Chantal, I think you guys are looking good. I'll add that we're all a work in progress, LOL.

Quinta, Autumn looks simply dashing. Really miss her.

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 07, 2019 4:25 am

Love all the chestnut horses pics!

May/June goals is to just ride (maybe) host two clinics and biomechanics lecture (Jillian Kreinbring this weekend and Cedar in June), break ground for my parent's apartment here on the farm, just survive!

Dealing with on going health issues with both my parents unfortunately. Dad is especially fragile and dealing with his doctors is a PIA.

So made the trip to my vet today to get Rip scoped and his annual look see/dental and I am very glad I did! Had thought about putting it off until after Jillian, but with breaking ground the 15th decided to just bite the bullet. Fabulous vet who is a great diagnostician re lameness (he was a farrier before vet school and then interned at Rood and Riddle), found Rip had some joint effusion left stifle (no telling with Rip and his shenanigans!) so went ahead and injected both stifles. Did not find anything else to be concerned about, just that minor help needed. Scope looked great, holding his own. But during the dental found one of his canines is cracked/loose so have to take him back in 2 weeks to have it removed. Apparently a pretty involved removal but at least easy to get to. No telling what Rip did to crack that tooth, he is a mouthy one. According to my DVM friend 7-10 days of no bit/healing so will have to work him just with caveson (no riding, not getting on him with no bridle!) but should be ok for Cedar clinic.

Pics of scope today showing the webbing from the cicatrix in front of the epiglottis:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I have been riding and/or working Rip and Joplin fairly regularly this week. Both are going well doing a bit of caveletti work with Jo. Gaila is just sitting, just no time right now to get to her unfortunately. But I had a former boarder/friend get in touch last week. She unexpectedly lost her DH 6 months ago and is looking to move back here from SC to be near her grown sons. She is selling her horse so I told her I have one just sitting if she is interested! She is German and used to be a flight attendant, but gave that up after her marriage and 9/11 and now is a dog trainer training schultzhund and drug dogs. I feel so bad for her trying to move on after such a blow. She is a lovely fun person and am looking forward to reconnecting to her again.

I just hope to work 2 horses at least 4 times a week.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 am

I love reading the updates.

My son took a bunch of pictures before the rain demolished the spring blossoms but they were not training related, more spring inspired.

I am a fairly simple goal setter. I find the whole SMART goal system ...maybe intimidating, but definitely off putting so I will chime out this time and enjoy all your updates.

blob

Postby blob » Tue May 07, 2019 11:43 am

Chisamba wrote:I love reading the updates.

My son took a bunch of pictures before the rain demolished the spring blossoms but they were not training related, more spring inspired.

I am a fairly simple goal setter. I find the whole SMART goal system ...maybe intimidating, but definitely off putting so I will chime out this time and enjoy all your updates.

My goals were not SMART, I think all goals are welcome here!

Those blossom pictures were truly lovely!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 07, 2019 12:27 pm

I like the structure of the SMART goals and I have had regular sessions with my trainer to discuss (using SMART goals originated from her) so this was the bread and butter of my approach for 4 or so years now. Its not for everyone, and it doesn't have to be! whatever works for you

I also take notes for every ride and several page lesson notes, so this is all a way for me to remember what I am learning. I also mark on a calendar when I ride.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 07, 2019 1:15 pm

blob wrote:
Chisamba wrote:I love reading the updates.

My goals were not SMART, I think all goals are welcome here!

Those blossom pictures were truly lovely!

Blob, I tried to share but I can't do it on my phone. I may share one or two here fro. My laptop

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Wow, there sure are some gorgeous chestnuts on this board! I hear you on the hard work of a young horse Chantal, but you two look great! The cow friend photo in other thread is hysterical. I notice that Autumn is wearing layers---eeek! :-0 How great that you have tons of space in her new home and she enjoys it.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue May 07, 2019 1:49 pm

I get my fill of SMART goals/actions/deliverables/etc. at work, but looking back through the various 8-week threads I still default to that general structure anyway. Classic case of becoming the thing that you hate.

Demi-- did you make it through all this crazy rain without issues?

It's been a slow start to May for me and my crew due to work, weather, and weekend travel, but I got my first ride of the month i yesterday. Both of the horses were great. Maybe I should give them some time off periodically.

Onward to goals:

Kiwi had a collection-heavy March and April and as a result is getting a bit tight through the topline. So we're going to mix it up a bit the next few weeks and get back some of that elasticity.
- Stretchy topline work in every ride (w/t/c)
- 1x/week: work on collected canter with a long loose neck
- Return to more sitting trot work

Queso was great yesterday when I asked for a bit of shoulder-fore in walk/trot-- the canter transitions were quiet. They were prompt. They kept the inside bend. And they landed on the correct lead. It's hard to ask for much more than that.
- Introduce SF in canter
- Play with leg yield 2x/week
- Ride out of the arena 1x/week (or more if weather allows)

Me:
- Continue tracking calories
- Work out before work 3x/week
- 15000 steps/day avg for the week
- Ride 4x/week

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 07, 2019 4:46 pm

One of the photos I managed to resize. Yes I took my helmet off for the photo
Attachments
20190506_190700_480x562-01.jpeg
20190506_190700_480x562-01.jpeg (135.39 KiB) Viewed 22983 times

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue May 07, 2019 5:07 pm

Nice to see the lovely horses of the board :) I need to see if I can talk DH into coming to the barn to take pictures or video at some point as I haven't gotten any since we moved down here.

I've been having weekly lessons with a new instructor and she has been really good for both Pal and I. She is actually an eventer but has also shown through 3rd level and has a lot of good ideas for working with energy conservationists such as Pal. Though we're mostly sticking with very basic work right now I feel like we've improved leaps and bounds in a pretty short period of time. Pal is moving better and is more willing to go forward. She still wants to ignore my leg and drift quite a lot sometimes especially at the beginning of a ride but typically by the end of the ride she's tuned in and going better than ever.

Goals for me:
More work without stirrups, at least a little each ride even if it needs to be just at the walk some days
Healthier food choices, I've gained a good 10 lbs since we moved when I really needed to lose at least that much

Goals for Pal:
More reactivity for transitions within gaits, especially the canter
Better canter transitions (which I think is really more about me but I'll leave it here)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Rode over the weekend, but I have changed my goals somewhat.

Rudy: Keep trying to attain fc's. To do that, I swear i am going to find a coach to help me and even trailer weekly if need be.

Tio: 1) Eliminate balkiness
2) Consitent, balanced canter both directions
3) Find clinics and/or schooling shows to take him to.

Me: walk at least 5 mornings a week at least 1 mile.

Here's another gratuitous chestnut picture

Tio April 26 2019.jpg
Tio after a ride last week or so.
Tio April 26 2019.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 22979 times

Beautiful photo Chisamba

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 pm

nm
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 pm

Very nice, Ryeissa! Riot looks like he is really reaching with his hind leg. He looks freely forward and your position looks super.

I really enjoy seeing all the pics.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Ponichiwa, the rain IS crazy. Today was not as planned! I had to get a state inspection on my trailer first thing this morning and DH said I better get it parked under cover ASAP because it was supposed to hail! So I parked it and did all my outdoor chores trying to get done before the storm. But the storm never came. It didnt even rain! So I set up the soloshot and finally got some pics.

I know about the problems with my position, but I am just happy to have gotten to this point. I can and do work on it, and I will set that as a goal. I’ll take pics at the end of June and see if I have improved....

6C197A91-BF59-47ED-9638-FD8C70EC6BAB.jpeg
6C197A91-BF59-47ED-9638-FD8C70EC6BAB.jpeg (146.8 KiB) Viewed 22946 times

D6F1639E-B152-43E3-8145-6B20658F2E33.jpeg
D6F1639E-B152-43E3-8145-6B20658F2E33.jpeg (123.56 KiB) Viewed 22946 times

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Love the pics all!! Everyone is working hard, it's inspiring. And pretty ponies!! Rye, you've come so far, so cool! I remember when you got him. Demi, it is always a work in progress. You two are looking good. I have to step back and remember where we were 6 months ago, and gosh, where I was a year ago. Chisamba, lovely flower pics, and I love the pics of your son on FB. He reminds me of my 17 yo, dark hair and build and just plain kind. And you look great! Great goals Sue B. More pics exvet... :lol: Quinta-trail riding is the best! Sounds like you have a great horse. Khali-I hear you, sending you strength. Caring for ailing parents is not easy.

Getting off the property is so important. I'm so lucky the training my guy had before I got him was solid. I make an effort to get to see his trainer a few times a year and she adores him. And he loves her! It set a very high standard for me to keep. I post more in the young horse forum about my guy on his 4yo thread, even tho he's 5 as May 2. :D Big man now. Or not.

Edited to add, big man scraped his hock over the weekend, probably on Sunday as he had off, or maybe Saturday evening. It was a little swollen yesterday but he wasn't really off. Swelling came down with walking. It seems bruised as he is sensitive to touch around it. It was a little worse today with a little more swelling on the outside of the fetlock and he was a little more ouchy on it. We'll give him 'til tomorrow then call the vet if it hasn't improved.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 08, 2019 12:03 am

I RODE THE STINKER PONY TODAY!!!! and stayed on! We decided to trail ride after another unusual Arizona rain storm. When I got home, I put the stinker on the lounge line. He did go a little 'ape sh!t' at the canter but darn it looked so good. I haven't done xrays but clinically all the signs point to arthritis in the spine/LS area. He's not reactive at all at walk and trot and never looks lame. I decided to go ahead any way and test the waters. He let me mount and ride around the arena. We just did walk since it's been so long since he's been ridden but he didn't put a hoof wrong. I might have my little trail buddy back! We'll see in a few more days. Plans are to walk and maybe a little trot but that's it. No more collection, no more canter. If he clearly seems up for the game it will just be miles of trail which he always liked before and did so well at that he was usually the lead for everyone else. Keeping fingers crossed!

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 am

Yay, exvet! Sometimes, trail is all they want to do. When I had red mare (Autumn) and black mare (Quinta), my life was much better once i transitioned Quinta to exclusively Trail Pony and forgot about making her Do Dressage.

Moving Autumn to 24/7 turnout (another perk of the new barn) has made a huge difference. We had a huge spooky problem over the winter, which I suspected was due to lack of exercise (not enough turnout, plus poor arena footing). Since moving, spooking has been a non-issue, which means I can focus on actual work rather than just riding defensively.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Glad to hear that the new arrangement is working out so well for you and Autumn. As you know she never had issues with spooking here, was actually rather bold especially when trail riding. Of course from the time she was born until she left here she had pretty much always been turned out 24/7 even if here in the desert the turn outs were small by comparison (an acre versus 100s). The only time she saw a stall was when she got bathed and had to stay 'pretty' ie, clean. It also helps when your stalls are of a pole barn type so that even when they're 'in' they can see all their pals. Autumn isn't the first one from here that has had similar challenges with a change in management nor the first to improve with exactly the type of change you've made. I'm so glad to see an update on her! It comes on the heels of an update from a gal who purchased one of the fillies (one of the twisted sista's for those who remember). There is nothing nicer than to see bloodlines you've [helped] fostered out there still being loved and cared for in such great homes.

I do think exclusive trail pony will keep the stinker happier and boy do we have the unlimited trails to keep him busy!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu May 09, 2019 10:24 am

Trails are so good for them! Autumn is a pretty girl.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Thu May 09, 2019 2:17 pm

...and we're out for at least the first part of this round. Mare somehow cut across the cannon bone on her right hind. Stitched up nicely, tendon not severed, and she is sound on it, so we are optimistic that it will heal up well. But, it does mean my barn visits are bandage changes rather than riding for the next little while. Sigh.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu May 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Horses... one step forwards and tow steps back. Sorry, Quinta!

Nothing earth-shattering to report here, gearing up for Mette in a week, Laddie's got some lovely shoulder in and half-passes going. Walker healing well and feeling quite bouncy. I'm hopeful that I might be able to trail ride him this summer, if we ever get one, except he's got a growth of some kind right on his girth line that I need to get the vet to look at.

Quite cold here--27 this morning when I went out to feed, and it was snowing a few minutes ago.

Return to “Dressage Training”