May & June Goals & Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May & June Goals & Progress

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 09, 2019 4:11 pm

I have discovered that doing the same exercise often enough the create anticipation can be a key to revealing what needs to be "fixed" in training my horse.

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 09, 2019 8:23 pm

I am getting good use out of my soloshot. I’m learning things about how to use it and am getting comfortable with it. Today, after my ride, I spent twice as much time reviewing it as I did actually riding. Some things that felt awful, really didnt look so bad. The right lead canter depart feels horrible and I could see myself over aiding. Even tho it feels bad for me, she is still easily taking it. In fact, my over positioning her is probably just getting in her way. So now I know I can relax a little and still get the right lead. I will think about it and prepare myself mentally for next time.

My position was better today than the day before yesterday. And the improvement was just from watching the vid and thinking about it. Certainly, I’m not where I would like to be, position wise, but I think i need to allow myself some slack on leaning a little forward, tipping my head down, hands not forward enough,blah blah blah...I know that I am feeling her right now, and if I try to correct too many things about myself all at once, I stiffen and then can’t feel her. With the ability to video frequently, I can correlate what I see in the video with what I am feeling, and then I can develop my feel. From there, I go on to correct myself.

We just keep getting more rain. We had flash flood warnings yesterday so I didnt take Rocky to my lesson. I rode the school horse instead. Rocky has been in the arena too many days in a row and tomorrow she needs a trail ride. I have no idea if the weather will allow it.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 10, 2019 12:15 am

Nice photo updates!

I totally get the feeling vs. viewing experience, Demi. For ex. when I reviewed a few sessions, I was thinking before I saw it that I had Em way too low/contracted in canter, but she is actually quite okay most of the time. But I often need even more bend than I think I need at some points. I think this is why trainers like Jeremy Steinberg say "don't riding the feeling, ride the form."

I will try to capture more video during this period, too (somewhere between more rain and too hot to ride in the arena!).

p.s. I really like Rocky. She looks so solid and capable. And your position is quite on...just look up :-) I do that head drop, too, when I'm concentrating. I like that you notice that Rocky needs time out of the arena. In the summer, I try to do only 2 days/week in the arena at most, since in winter we do so much arena time.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat May 11, 2019 12:43 am

Well, one goal down :) We rode outside in the big arena for the first time this year today! The weather was nice, we had company, and the idiot neighbors are apparently still in Florida, so we had an excellent ride :) Laddie was very well behaved and worked really well. What more could I ask!

Mette next weekend. I will save my full goal setting until after I have ridden with her. I had a drop-out, so I'm left with a spot I'm having a tough time filling this late in the game--there's a show and another clinic happening locally as well, and the Idaho show, so it's going to be a potentially rather expensive weekend. Everything about this clinic has been a pain in the ass to organize. Still, I have the offer of a more cooperative venue next time, which would make life so much easier.

demi

Postby demi » Sat May 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Rocky needs more strength. I felt in my gut that this was true, but watching the vids and studying the screen shots (nearly 80) has convinced me.

I thought that I would only be able to build the strength she needs on trails but now that I am “seeing” what I feel by studying the vids and pics, I have a much better idea of how to ride her in the arena. I didnt realize until I studied the vids and screenshots, how hard she is trying. Now that I am aware of this, I can use my rewards more accurately. This comes at a great time because trail riding is not easy with all the rain we’ve had. Today we had a really nice ride in the arena even though we havent been on trails for a week.

Maybe I’ll post some of the really ugly screen shots later! If I can figure out how to pixelate my face :lol: :lol: :lol: Personally, I learn just as much from the bad pics as the good ones.

blob

Postby blob » Sun May 12, 2019 12:22 am

ugh, guys I am in saddle finding torture zone.

Found a miracle saddle that works well on BOTH my horses and they both seem happy in it. However, I don't like it at all. It's OK for me when I ride RP, but on MM it puts me in an awful saddle seat and I cant get my legs under me or keep my seat where it needs to be, it's a big mess.

I've had two fitters out and a third one comes Wednesday. So far nothing I've liked enough to spend $$$$ on.

It's tricky also because most of the demos fitters are bringing for me to try are sizes that are too big for me, so I'm having to guess how I MIGHT like the saddle if it actually fit me. It's hard for me to fork over $4k for saddle that I THINK i MIGHT like.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun May 12, 2019 12:28 am

I appreciate your comments, Demi. It was really just this winter after repeated observation+ comments from a friend/dressage rider/trainer that I trust that I really understood just HOW HARD Emi tries, *all the time*. She doesn't say "No", she says "Is this it?" It is incredibly generous and obedient. I learned that I need to recognize more of her efforts and reward more...and give her more breaks! This is still a work in progress for me. I swear she is preparing me to be a much better trainer for the next horse. All and all, it is very humbling to see just how generous my horse is...

I have been monitoring when Emi gets too tired to carry herself since this realization. It is very helpful, as I give more frequent breaks (even short ones) and she is more comfortable and able to continue in good balance. This takes me paying attention to very slight drops of her poll---that is her "tell" of fatigue/lack of strength. Probably many people would not see it, because she often recovers from the drops and re-balances when I ask. So I have to notice.

We had 2" of rain last night, another inch today, a few more coming overnight.

blob, that is lousy. Is it worth trialling some used saddles in your size/your horses's size if possible (even if you will buy new)?

p.s. you should let us know your saddle likes/size needs in case one of us knows of a saddle in need of a home

blob

Postby blob » Sun May 12, 2019 2:10 am

piedmontfields wrote:blob, that is lousy. Is it worth trialling some used saddles in your size/your horses's size if possible (even if you will buy new)?

p.s. you should let us know your saddle likes/size needs in case one of us knows of a saddle in need of a home

I would happily buy used! Just having a hard time finding the right ones to trial!

I need a 16.5 in a wide tree that does not have esp curvy panels and space for big shoulders. My biggest need in a saddle is that I have a tendency to want to go to chair seat, so I do best with a saddle that it makes it hard for me to give into the temptation . Often just making sure the seat is the right size helps a lot!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am

I did a competition with Norsey, and while he was pretty good I always come away from comps being a bit unsure about how I'm riding my horses and trying to figure out how I've got it all wrong. I think it does relate to my riding being a bit aimless and not riding with enough intensity perhaps.
Also, I've been reading some riding theory and what I interpret from written information doesn't look like what I find on videos.
It can be so confusing this horse riding business.

Anyway for a bit of fun I started Norsey with spanish walk. On the ground he caught on so quickly, that it actually freaked me out a bit! Ding took much longer to cotton on.
Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 1.48.14 pm copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 1.48.14 pm copy.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 20701 times

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Flight wrote:I did a competition with Norsey, and while he was pretty good I always come away from comps being a bit unsure about how I'm riding my horses and trying to figure out how I've got it all wrong. I think it does relate to my riding being a bit aimless and not riding with enough intensity perhaps.

Or maybe too much intensity, because at least low key aimless riding doesn't actively block them, or put them in a state where it's hard for them to learn, as too much too soon can?

I also take comp experiences with a grain, because it's such subjective, seat of the pants feedback. I think the comps themselves are fun and invigorating but am not convinced that the feedback is all that valuable.

Also, I've been reading some riding theory and what I interpret from written information doesn't look like what I find on videos.

The story of my life. Before I had more access to videos I read and looked at pix, but would get so confused when writers (odg's, bnt's) said basically the same things using the same jargon, but then when I saw the bnt's in person I felt like what they were teaching wasn't the same as what they had written.

More info helped, but I still spent quite a few more years confused by what I was seeing at shows vs what I was reading. It really wasn't until I realized that there really was a widening gap between Classical vs Competitive Dressage that it started to become more clear to me that the words didn't always match the reality.

And then there's the whole behavior modification thing, so not only is it necessary to develop an eye for which behaviors, but also the training skills to get those behaviors--which of course, is never ending.

The irony of it all is that unless we know enough to be able to tell when we're headed down the wrong path then it's way too easy to waste our resources on the wrong path.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun May 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Flight wrote:Also, I've been reading some riding theory and what I interpret from written information doesn't look like what I find on videos.
Picking one system and sticking with it is my choice. Sure, as Kande wrote, sometimes we don't know what we don't know, so it does get confusing reading and watching videos. I like the way my trainer rides, I see that it has worked with many horses and students, so I see no point in reading what anyone else has to say or watching what they do. This is me and we each are free to do as we will. Sometimes if something is not working for me in a lesson, I might research it and find some wording that makes my understand better. But that's about it. My days of reading dressage books are over.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:11 pm

musical comedy wrote:My days of reading dressage books are over.

Interesting MC, because I'm getting rid of my dressage books too, because I'm quite sure I'm never going to read them again. I loved reading them for a long time, but now feel like I just need to take the information I already have and get out there and interact with my horses. I still like to read about what others are doing, as long as it doesn't make me too uncomfortable, but am over thinking that I need to seek out more, more, more information.

Apparently, I've entered another phase in my journey toward enlightenment. :-)

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun May 12, 2019 10:45 pm

I'm not sure if it's just that I can learn better by watching and doing rather than reading, and with things like youtube thesedays, we have access to lots of videos. But it's even some of the classical types where my interpretation of what they've written, doesn't match what I see. Not necessarily in a bad way either.
I'm definitely finding that the more I know, the more I realise I don't know!
I've always struggled with the dominance of dressage. Watching someone warming up for a FEI test give the horse some hefty kicks with the spurs to get more expression in the trot, I thought "the horse doesn't care if it trots around an arena like that" and then I knew maybe I'm doomed not to ever do that well in competition!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 13, 2019 12:43 am

Flight, putting a halter on a horse is dominance, putting a saddle on a horse is dominance, in fact putting a horse in a pasture , or a stable is dominance, I guess what you have a problem with is levels of dominance. So you or I , or anyone choose what the difference is between acceptable training and what you think is unacceptable training. to be continued

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 am

Chisamba, I know. It's got to be the level that you're comfortable with and finding a training method that feels as comfortable morally as I can.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 13, 2019 5:04 am

Flight wrote:Chisamba, I know. It's got to be the level that you're comfortable with and finding a training method that feels as comfortable morally as I can.

I had to rush to work. So I stopped mid thought. I think we all agree that it's the level of training we feel comfortable with...and I guess we all have slightly different theory on this. For example some schools of thought believe poll high all the time is ideal and others think its cruel. I am just giving an example.

My personal theory is that being able to listen to your horse is a primary consideration. Let's be honest, some horses will move away from a slight nudge and others you can thump se veral times with a flat hand before they say, oh , were you asking something I was chllaxing here as i step on your foot .

I am not as faithful as MC. I read and explore and experiment. It probably impedes my progress, I bet MC progresses quicker, but I enjoy learning . The process is part of the joy for me. But....

Showing has a set of rules and parameters, of you wish to show you well be judged according to those rules. I mean you could train the horse in all the aspects of Grand prix in a bit less bridle but for now if you dont show in double you wont be scored.

So the options are to show according to the parameters, or do what you prefer and accept the score, or dont show.

My horse does not have fancy gaits. It's taken 5 years to develop the strength and balance to have decent medium gaits, this puts me at a disadvantage showing against horses born with medium gaits. But I am okay judging myself against my previous self, with the suppressed desire to actually be successful against lovely horses.

The choices we make make us who we are and govern the relationship we have with the beasts.

I mean Deneb told me enough times being ridden us just too frightening for her. Si despite being the most talented horse I have, she is retired. She us jealous of the attention the ridden horses get. She gallops up and wants attention, but in her field, not in the barn, not tied, not saddled. I think being confined be it by aids or x ties, is terrifying

When we ride often it is difficult to decide what feels right, often a horse has to be asked to yield quite a lot before they realize how comfortable a swinging back is, or how powerful carrying behind is. But Kimba seems to love the power and the discovery of her new skills. But that's anthropomorphic.

Lol

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon May 13, 2019 9:43 am

Chisamba wrote:My personal theory is that being able to listen to your horse is a primary consideration. Let's be honest, some horses will move away from a slight nudge and others you can thump se veral times with a flat hand before they say, oh , were you asking something I was chllaxing here as i step on your foot .

This made me laugh out loud at work :lol: The chillaxing one is my boy. He's sort of generally sweet and tries really hard, but getting him to really hear me is hard work. Wait, this sounds like my husband too... Maybe it's a guy thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chisamba wrote:When we ride often it is difficult to decide what feels right, often a horse has to be asked to yield quite a lot before they realize how comfortable a swinging back is, or how powerful carrying behind is. But Kimba seems to love the power and the discovery of her new skills. But that's anthropomorphic.

This is really powerful for me. I have a neck injury that causes constant discomfort. The only way to alleviate it is exercise, and it is not always comfortable, but I know what the benefit is, so I can motivate myself easily to push through discomfort. The same with general fitness and strength training. It is not always pleasant, especially when you're learning a new thing and struggling. But as humans we can see the projected results ahead of time. Our horses do not have the luxury of such insight. I honestly don't believe that a horse can progress through the levels (dressage) without having to be pushed through some periods of discomfort. And I guess that's where we have to decide how to get through it, and it's where training philosophies can start clashing so wildly.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:49 am

duplicate
Last edited by kande50 on Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:52 am

Flight wrote:I thought "the horse doesn't care if it trots around an arena like that" and then I knew maybe I'm doomed not to ever do that well in competition!

Same here, and really, who would even want to do "well" if it meant that they needed to be harsh with their horse to accomplish it?

Course the big problem is in how we interpret what our horses want, or more specifically, how we decide how much is too much.
Last edited by kande50 on Mon May 13, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am

Chisamba wrote:My personal theory is that being able to listen to your horse is a primary consideration. Let's be honest, some horses will move away from a slight nudge and others you can thump se veral times with a flat hand before they say, oh , were you asking something I was chllaxing here as i step on your foot .

I can relate to this with my two. Norsey you just touch with the whip (like literally, just touch) and get a big effort of response. Ding is the chillaxing type that doesn't realise you've even asked him to move. However, Ding has now learned/developed the energy when I ride and now can respond to a lighter touch and seems to be keener to work now. But it has taken a while to get him there.

Yes Mari, II guess it's that balance between pushing them through a discomfort vs asking too much and knowing when is too much?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:19 am

kande50 wrote:Same here, and really, who would even want to do "well" if it meant that they needed to be harsh with their horse to accomplish it?
Probably a large majority of show people that are competitive. I'd like to think I was never one of them, but I used to be less considerate of the horse that I am now. I think certain things people do are on the cruel side, and I suppose people think some things I do are on the cruel side. We all view things differently.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am

mari wrote:This is really powerful for me. I have a neck injury that causes constant discomfort. The only way to alleviate it is exercise, and it is not always comfortable, but I know what the benefit is, so I can motivate myself easily to push through discomfort. The same with general fitness and strength training. It is not always pleasant, especially when you're learning a new thing and struggling. But as humans we can see the projected results ahead of time. Our horses do not have the luxury of such insight. I honestly don't believe that a horse can progress through the levels (dressage) without having to be pushed through some periods of discomfort. And I guess that's where we have to decide how to get through it, and it's where training philosophies can start clashing so wildly.
I can relate. I just recently started PT for my weak right leg. The exercises that I have to do 2x a day are hard and I really have to push myself to do them. I totally understand why a horse objects when asked to be straight or collect. It's got to be uncomfortable for them.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:52 am

musical comedy wrote:Probably a large majority of show people that are competitive. I'd like to think I was never one of them, but I used to be less considerate of the horse that I am now.

Same here, but that was because I didn't know enough back then so was much more willing to listen to those who I thought did. Trouble was, I eventually realized that what some knew how to do was not what I wanted to learn how to do.

I think certain things people do are on the cruel side, and I suppose people think some things I do are on the cruel side. We all view things differently.

True, and when I was younger I was much more willing to listen to those who I thought knew more, whereas now I'm much more skeptical, because I'm more aware that perspectives differ and what's important to me may not be important to them.

I also used to be much more impressed by "credentials", until I realized that those who got their credentials in horse sports may have actually done it at the expense of their horses.

And thus started the lifelong journey to figure out how to balance what I wanted (interactions with horses) with what I felt was an ethical way to do it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 13, 2019 1:38 pm

If we trust our physiotherapist , or physical trainer at the gym, we push through and get results and feel great, I went to a different form of exercise one, the trainer did not correct positional errors i made and i really hurt my back, so two things.

1) it really works better if the horse trusts us, that they respond because they trust us, not because they fear consequences

2) We should be prepared to learn and educate ourselves so that what we do is in fact beneficial to the horse

3) I am fortunate to have been around a number of horses, and as MC once said, most horses have some sort of weakness or unsoundness, but I have seen correct work heal horses, change their shape, improve their well being, that is ultimately how i know the work was correct. Less by what some wise person wrote or said, and more by the results . and then once i have the results, SUDDENLY i understand what the wise person actually was saying or meant. apparently I am not one to understand until i have achieved

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 pm

IMG_1760 (2).jpg
IMG_1760 (2).jpg (106.36 KiB) Viewed 20580 times

Fate still continues to think I am hilarious. After the Sept surgery, the Oct surgery, and the December surgery, I rode George late Feb. He felt great and though I had no stamina I also felt ok and that maybe the 6 months off hadn't set me back that far. Hahahaha! said fate and I blew an infection that made me miss the April legerete clinic and not ride for several more weeks. When I finally got back on George a month ago he didn't feel right at all. I got off and called Doc. I was very much in denial about what I was feeling and seeing. George failed all of his neuro tests but when he had no reflex/flinch reaction to the pen cap on his left hind quadrant I knew we were in trouble. He was 28. We put him down the next day. Stroke? Impingement? some rapid neuro inflammation?

I have lost so many horses in the last few years and I cry at all of them but George! I am broken hearted. He was just one in a million. In addition to all of his wonderful qualities he was vocal and affectionate and had the most hilarious whinny I ever heard in my whole life and he did it WHENEVER he saw me. Hes the one who was not afraid of the wheelchair or the crutches and if I even made it down stairs to sit on the porch he would trot over to the fence and HOLLER AT MOM. I could ride him bareback in my casts, in any weather in any clinic or property or trail. My Craigslist freebie. My legerete clinic horse. He leaves a gigantic whole. I still have Lafit the DWB and I was given a nice Oldenburg hunter type gelding in January to rehab. So I am lucky to still have them to care for and work with. But George.

The same fate that keeps me on crutches and takes my horses also sometimes smiles. The week before George left I was given an ISH gelding that I have known and loved for years. Hes been on the Dartmouth Eq team and doesn't want to be a schoolie any more. He comes tomorrow from New Hampshire. Welcome Slick! I am sure he will have some issues but he is a solid citizen. I am really excited and cant wait to meet him. I suspect he will become my go to boy while I work on the other two and continue to recover from all the foot crap.

Goals:

Ride.

Just ride.

Just ride some more.

Ride with my Soloshot so I can work on my I look like I want to hurl myself off to the left >;->>>

I really love seeing all yalls updates and goals. They have reassured me through the last months that I too can get back on track.
Attachments
IMG_1729.jpg
IMG_1729.jpg (94.59 KiB) Viewed 20580 times
IMG_2205.jpg
IMG_2205.jpg (222.78 KiB) Viewed 20580 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 13, 2019 5:13 pm

:( sorry for the loss of George. its so sad. I lost a horse Ryeissa in late 2011 to a neuro disease.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon May 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Ryeissa wrote::( sorry for the loss of George. its so sad. I lost a horse Ryeissa in late 2011 to a neuro disease.

Yes, thanks. I feel quite cheated. Yes I know he was old (28) but he was sound and in perfect health...barefoot, no Cushings, nothing. All I have dreamt about the last 7 months is riding George. Poof. No George. He was my clinic horse, my any weather any venue horse. I was really in shock. I was doing ok and worked at our chapter show this weekend. I saw his old trainer and also his old mom, the girl who gave him to me. BAWL!!!!! major ugly cry >;->

I was lucky to have him.

Slick comes tomorrow between 630 and 730.

The alphabet soup of neuro can be a series of endless sad rabbit holes. Im so sorry about your loss.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 13, 2019 6:44 pm

I'm sorry, Abby.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon May 13, 2019 7:26 pm

I’m so sorry Abbey. It always hurts to lose one, but some hurt more.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Abby - I'm sorry to hear you lost George. He really was a special horse as you described him. He sounds a bit like my pocket pony.

Recently I lost my retiree age 23 in March from sudden colic. He had been unsound for years due to navicular and arthritis. I tried to keep him comfortable on Equioxx for the past several years and expected to put him down for those issues. He always was a great eater - more like a vacuum cleaner so the colic was sudden and very bad. I made a quick decision to PTS but I still miss the alpha bugger.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Riding in the sunshine... It's going to be snowing again by Friday...
Laddie 519.jpg
Laddie 519.jpg (121.22 KiB) Viewed 20531 times
Attachments
Laddie 519 2.jpg
Laddie 519 2.jpg (77.98 KiB) Viewed 20531 times

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 pm

It truly was a beautiful weekend, wasn't it Moutaineer. Thank you for sharing pictures of Lad; it seems like forever since I saw him last. He has developed into quite muscle man. 8-)

I had sooo much fun riding in the beautiful sunshine, in and out of the arena. My "lazy", "stubborn" "bully" of a horse, Tio, was super on the lunge and under saddle. He can leg yield from center line to wall and back in the trot now! When I take him through cavalletti he lowers his neck, lifts his back and really stretches--I can hold that trot for only a couple strides after but better than nothing. :P I also did t-c-t roughly every 8 strides. I keep the canter short (as in few strides) because he's back to feeling awkward/tense. I'm thinking his near fall and my actual fall, spooked him too and he worries about his balance. On the lunge, his canter is lovely, balanced and (dare I say) powerful, which is what it was under saddle before we parted ways last fall. So meanwhile, I'm keeping things short and easy. Also trotted him away and toward home on the road after his workout. There have been no push-backs against forward for awhile now, and a tap of the whip send him forward instead of stopping him.

Rudy is always grand. Used to be that the widest part of his neck was around the 3rd cervical vertebra, now the widest part is the base of his neck. I am very happy about this but I need to find away to stop looking down to check. Hehe.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Wow, I'm all teary at George's sudden departure. Both for your loss, Abbie, and for the fact that you found each other and shared such love for one another. Also---I am excited that Slick is coming to you because I "know" him through rec. eq.

Great photos, Moutaineer. I always say that you are an elegant pair, but you are and he has put on quite some muscle.

Sue, that is a lovely update. Changing Rudy's neck is a huge accomplishment! Emi *still* doesn't have a proper wedge neck like that. It is much much better (it used to be "wavy" with narrow and wide areas as you moved down the neck). Now it is smooth and slightly wider at the base, and there is real muscle on top (that pops when she works).

I was going through the t-c-t-c test today (can we maintain the same power and thoroughness while we do these transitions). It was ugly initially (tight mare terrified of sweet pony in the ring) but it came through and is such therapy for her back and mind to do these disciplined transitions every x strides. Basically, that is our warm-up these days. If we can't do that exercise with thoroughness and power, we can't do anything very well.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 am

I agree with Piedmont that Laddie and M make an elegant pair. We have a nice group of horses and riders on this board, don’t we!!! I just love seeing the pics.

Abby, your pictures are lovely. I am sorry about George. I’m glad you feel like you can get back on track. I look forward to your training comments...and now that we know you have a soloshot you have NO excuses for not posting lots of pictures!

We had beautiful weather today, but instead of riding, I mowed the pastures and trails. It had to be done. Took all day. I am so looking forward to trail riding tomorrow.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Abby I am so sorry about George. Hard to keep pushing forwards when so many things are holding you back. I am happy for you that you have a new friend arriving to keep you going, and jingles that your darn foot finally heals and allows you to ride!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue May 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Abby, I am so sorry for your loss of George. That is just heartbreaking, and I am sending internet hugs to you. :cry:

A couple weeks ago, I took my ponies to a schooling show.

I rode my first Grand Prix test. :D While it was packed with stuff we need to improve, I kept my wits, my horse did his best and we got through the test! The judge had a keen eye, but was also pretty encouraging for me, I brought home a number of things to work on.

I was glad I did it -- just to push myself. You know how you get in a routine at home, and unless I'm about to show, I never ride tests. I just warmup and stretch, and then if it's a work day practice one or two things and exercises with lots of walk breaks, and as time goes on, at least for me, I tend to putter instead of push myself. So actually riding the test (or at least chunks of test-like riding), and putting all this stuff together, is super important for not just me but my horse too. To ride all the maneuvers in a day, but also practicing the glue between them and the preciseness of the maneuver itself. So that's a new resolution for me.

Then a few days ago, a friend came through town. We have been in contact but I haven't seen her in person in years, but she used to ride/train GP. So she worked with me and my horse for a few minutes, and helped me with one piece I was missing. I was (am) walking on air after that! I wish I could work with her regularly, but alas that's not in the cards.

Then added bonus, I took my baby horse to the schooling show, too. It was her first show, and considering that, she was a rockstar. She didn't spook once, they let me hand walk her around the arena to look at stuff and she just took it all in. Then I did the western dressage intro walk-trot test, and she tried so hard. Was a bit nervous so the tempo was too fast and of course she did baby wobbles as she looked everywhere at once, but she bravely rode away from all the other horses into the arena when I asked, listened to me the whole time, and even attempted to stretch in the free walk. She got many cookies!

I don't know how all of you guys get great photos (I'm kind of jealous) but here's what I have of my sweet ponies 8-) :lol:
Attachments
IMG_E2467.JPG
IMG_E2467.JPG (33.35 KiB) Viewed 20445 times
IMG_E2454.JPG
IMG_E2454.JPG (26.24 KiB) Viewed 20445 times

blob

Postby blob » Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Oh Abby, I am so sorry. Sending you hugs.

So great to see everyone's progress and pictures!

Kelo--so glad you got a chance to get your horses out for the show. And big congrats on the GP!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm

GP! how cool is that? Congrats

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 pm

blob wrote:
piedmontfields wrote:blob, that is lousy. Is it worth trialling some used saddles in your size/your horses's size if possible (even if you will buy new)?

I would happily buy used! Just having a hard time finding the right ones to trial!

I need a 16.5 in a wide tree that does not have esp curvy panels and space for big shoulders. My biggest need in a saddle is that I have a tendency to want to go to chair seat, so I do best with a saddle that it makes it hard for me to give into the temptation . Often just making sure the seat is the right size helps a lot!

Blob, I sent you a PM (I think! It says it’s in my outbox and doesn’t show up under sent mail)

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 pm

GP! Nice, Kelo!
Your baby is so cute. She reminds my of my (half quarter horse), Rocky.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 15, 2019 12:07 am

My sincere condolences to you Abby. It sounds like George was as lucky to have you as you were to have him. It's never easy to lose such giving partners.

That's awesome Kelo! on both accounts!

I rode the stinker pony on his first official trail ride in 2 years. He was the bomb! He's 17 this year and I keep hoping that like so many ponies he's just in his prime at this age. I also took a lesson on Junior today. He has made so much progress on his canter. We're going to start introducing counter canter and the lateral work at a trot (well we did that today). He is such a hard worker bee I couldn't be happier for his first try at it all. It clear though that it is all about relaxation. If I can keep him relaxed he does great work. I'm going to focus on that this summer - keeping it all as relaxed as possible without losing the power and the appropriate momentum. We'll see in the fall if we achieved our goal.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed May 15, 2019 2:26 am

Moutaineer-nice to see pics of you!

Mikey's hock is better, I think he banged it on something while rolling. He kept reopening it last week but by Friday, the swelling and heat were gone so we rode a shortened lesson in a poles clinic to occupy his brain and exercise a little. He felt like a coiled spring on Friday but was well behaved and listened to me. Had a great lesson yesterday on him and a hour long trail walk today as the ground is wet here. His buddy spooked 3 times and he didn't bat an eye. First time at the new place that he's back to his personality of last fall at the trainers. He also seemed to know I wasn't feeling great so maybe he was taking care of me. And we clipped his fetlocks and under his face for the first time (no whiskers). He was well-behaved and got lots of carrots afterwards.

I'm working on relaxing myself for canter work in the ring. I think I tense up and stop his motion with my hands and hips, especially to the right. Out in the fields we are great, but the ring is a different story. Better in the outside ring than the inside arena.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 am

Kelo wrote: I rode my first Grand Prix test. :D While it was packed with stuff we need to improve, I kept my wits, my horse did his best and we got through the test! The judge had a keen eye, but was also pretty encouraging for me, I brought home a number of things to work on.

Wowza! Congratulations---and the young-un looks great, too.

Chantal, this is always my personal challenge, even with a mature horse: "Better in the outside ring than the inside arena." I think I am just looser and more attentive (a weird combo?) outside the arena.

That'a a great update Exvet. Be safe on the buckskin stinker---but I hope you and he enjoy the outings. Junior is doing good work, that's for sure.

demi

Postby demi » Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 am

Nice reports everyone. I am enjoying everyone’s progress.

I had a good ride on trails today. Rocky and I are both getting stronger after a year and a half of regular lessons and my confidence is returning. I am riding her in a bit of a dressage frame on the trails now, and doing a lot more trotting. I just recently started trail riding in my dressage tack vs. western tack and Rocky was a little weirded out by the tack (and frame) change! Not bad, but more looky and spooky. Today she stopped when we came within ten feet of a turkey, but she just looked and was ok to continue, even tho the turkey started clucking and turkey trotting when we got closer to it.

The trotting we are doing is up a long gentle incline. I think I will see results from this fairly quickly. She feels like she is coming under and reaching with the hind legs, and the feel in the bridle is light but steady and focused. She “gets” the hill and shifts gears to “go to work”. Walking back down the same hill feels good, too.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 am

Abby, so sorry to read about George. He sounded so special to you :(

Nice pics Moutaineer! Yes, you do look elegant and he looks very black and shiny.

Kelo -massive congrats on riding a GP test! That is very exciting. I hope to be able to say the same one day.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm

demi wrote:I just recently started trail riding in my dressage tack vs. western tack and Rocky was a little weirded out by the tack (and frame) change!

If it was me I'd just have to try to figure out which was responsible. :-)

Although I do have a lot of trouble drawing conclusions about spooky vs not so spooky, because I keep thinking up new reasons to explain it. Last winter I thought it might be somewhat dependent upon how frequently they'd been out, and how much things had changed since the last time they were there?

DH's horse was spooky several times last winter, but hasn't been this spring. Mr Mule had one very worked up ride last winter (dh's horse spooked behind him and he just couldn't seem to get over it) but hasn't been goofy since.

What happened between rides may also be a factor, although sometimes I expect them to be spooky because they haven't been out as often and then they aren't, and other times I don't expect any drama and get plenty of it.

IOW, it's such a mystery that I sometimes think maybe they had nightmares the night before and are still on edge.
Last edited by kande50 on Thu May 16, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 15, 2019 3:11 pm

First Kelo major congrats on the GP debut with your cowpony! and your young cowpony is looking great:) Glad she was a good girl for her first outing.
Flight nice SW pics there with Norsey, he has huge reach showing off that Iberian fancy foot work.
Abby gosh what a heart breaker to lose your precious George. He sounds like such a special boy. I hope your new friend makes the trip fine and you can develop a special relationship just as rewarding.
exvet yeah for stinker pony! It sounds like Jr is just trucking along. So happy for you!!
Mountaineer lovely photos of you and Laddie, dang though on more snow. Good grief the endless winter for you.

My update is that I hosted Jillian Kreinbring for her biomechanics lecture last weekend and boy is she brilliant at sharing her knowledge. If you ever get a chance to go to one of her lectures, do you won't regret it. I had taken this course in 2013 and now it is even better with more in depth information that marries the work done in dressage with the anatomical structures of the equine anatomy.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Jillian also stayed over for a couple of lesson days here at the farm. Such a wonderful eye to detail!! I so appreciate Jillian's help with Rip here. It is too easy to let things slip in the finer details. All about compression for collection and the movements that help this (counter SI)

Jillian loves Joplin:) Did not get to do too much with Jo and Jillian, but did show what a fun and easy and smart girl Joplin is to work with.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Huge congrats, Kelo! What a good couple of cowponies. :)
Abby - so sorry to hear about George. Hope that the new horse helps to fill the hole.

Autum's leg wound is healing fabulously, and she is being a super star patient. She hasn't been lame on it at all, so I've been adding a little walk work under saddle, both in the arena and on the trail. Crossing fingers that this was only a minor bump in the road.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Fingers Crossed (and toes LOL)!

Return to “Dressage Training”