May & June Goals & Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May & June Goals & Progress

Postby kande50 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Flight wrote:Someone showed me this book:
https://www.amazon.com.au/HORSES-VOICE- ... ext&sr=1-1

It's very good! Although now I look at my photos and cringe!!

The worst part is the regret over not knowing more sooner, so I try to just forge onward and not think about what I didn't know/believe before.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 pm

Wow - everyone has such stories!

Congrats to those who are getting out and about on their horses and good vibes sent to those that are having some issues - health and/or training wise!

After 7 weeks of a six days on and one off overtime shift at work, then 3 weeks - and counting - of looking after my husband who contracted H1N1 and getting pneumonia on top of that, racing my child around for school and life stuff as I was pretty much a single parent while my husband was laid up..... I am finally getting back on a horse tomorrow night.

I.can't.wait. :D

I also have the truck and trailer hooked up and ready to go so I can start hauling out for lessons at the end of the month. Til then, I will use my coach's horse.

I told this this little monkey vacation is over, enjoy pasture life while he can as we are going to be travelling partners soon!

Yonka June 2.jpg
Yonka June 2.jpg (231.28 KiB) Viewed 24398 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:46 am

All the reviews sound scripted. What did you like about it?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 am

Chisamba wrote:

All the reviews sound scripted. What did you like about it?

Another question: is this someone who trains and shows? I ask because it's been hard for me to find the natural horsemanship type work that is embedded in the competition framework- I agree with the book and it's suggestions, but most NH people just ride more for pleasure and "they get what they get"-
Also, what exactly is the book suggesting? how is this different than our dressage principles of harmony and good contact? I'm very open to animal communication- is that what they mean? thanks

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:35 am

I didn't read the reviews sorry. There's some good photos showing where to look to see how a horse is going, in particular behind the saddle, base of neck, hind leg strides. Showing where to notice the condition of horses muscles for riding and some good info on saddle fit.

Ryeissa - just from memory - I've skimmed read through most of the book and about to go through it more closely (been busy at work). Yes she used to train and show maybe not always dressage. It's more about biomechanics, effects of rider etc. Encouraging noticing and getting feedback from the horse - tension in muscles, facial expressions etc. There's a little bit about horses 'energy'. I'm not particularly into that sort of thing, but it's only a small part in the book.
For me, the book helped me because it is specific in what to notice and look for in photos (and consequently video) and generally in horses. It may be stuff that everyone already knows on here already. I have known most of it from various sources, but it's all in one book to use as a reference.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Flight wrote:For me, the book helped me because it is specific in what to notice and look for in photos (and consequently video) and generally in horses.
But how do you know what she is telling you is accurate? Maybe her version of what looks good or bad is not what another person sees. Also, there are certain conformations that are what they are and not a product of poor riding or poor care.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Flight wrote:For me, the book helped me because it is specific in what to notice and look for in photos (and consequently video) and generally in horses.
But how do you know what she is telling you is accurate? Maybe her version of what looks good or bad is not what another person sees. Also, there are certain conformations that are what they are and not a product of poor riding or poor care.

Maybe, but it aligns with what I've been learning over the past couple of years. It's interesting just how subjective and how varied horseriders views on horses and training is really...

Sorry, this forum probably isn't a good place to put forward a book suggestion like I did!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:36 pm

musical comedy wrote:But how do you know what she is telling you is accurate? Maybe her version of what looks good or bad is not what another person sees. Also, there are certain conformations that are what they are and not a product of poor riding or poor care.

I think any information that encourages one to pay attention to feedback from the horse is good. And I think it's useful to listen to as many possible explanations for what might be going on as possible, but agree that theories still need to be somehow confirmed if they can be confirmed. If they can't be confirmed then we just need to pick the explanation that seems most likely, and then modify that if we get new information that conflicts with what we believed.
Last edited by kande50 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Flight wrote:I didn't read the reviews sorry. There's some good photos showing where to look to see how a horse is going, in particular behind the saddle, base of neck, hind leg strides. Showing where to notice the condition of horses muscles for riding and some good info on saddle fit.

Ryeissa - just from memory - I've skimmed read through most of the book and about to go through it more closely (been busy at work). Yes she used to train and show maybe not always dressage. It's more about biomechanics, effects of rider etc. Encouraging noticing and getting feedback from the horse - tension in muscles, facial expressions etc. There's a little bit about horses 'energy'. I'm not particularly into that sort of thing, but it's only a small part in the book.
For me, the book helped me because it is specific in what to notice and look for in photos (and consequently video) and generally in horses. It may be stuff that everyone already knows on here already. I have known most of it from various sources, but it's all in one book to use as a reference.

Ok, I sort of already do that as I study Mary Wanless type biomehcanics which is heavy into the subject of tension and muscle tone, relaxation/passivity or not, etc. I will keep it in mind...its a bit pricey.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Flight wrote:
musical comedy wrote:

Maybe, but it aligns with what I've been learning over the past couple of years. It's interesting just how subjective and how varied horseriders views on horses and training is really...

Sorry, this forum probably isn't a good place to put forward a book suggestion like I did!

I’m glad you posted. I got on amazon and read the preface and introduction. A couple of things she said resonated strongly with me. I think it is definitely worth reading. One doesn’t have to accept everything the author writes, but to dismiss it summarily is sort of limiting.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Ryeissa wrote:..... I will keep it in mind...its a bit pricey.

I notice that, too! But The kindle price is only 11.99. I cant decide if I want the kindle or the really book. Stuff like this is easier for me to read in real book form as it is easier to flip around an compare pics and things.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm

demi wrote:

I notice that, too! But The kindle price is only 11.99. I cant decide if I want the kindle or the really book. Stuff like this is easier for me to read in real book form as it is easier to flip around an compare pics and things.

I don't do Kindle but that is good to know! thanks!

I just got the book Horses Speak of God which is more of a spiritual book but I'm struggling with the language. Its all a bit grandiose and yet basic.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Junior and I had another lesson yesterday. We re-evaluated where we were in our development and I'm very pleased (FWIW) to learn that our riding instructor/coach feels that the trot work and canter were would easily rate an 8 at first level. We worked on shoulder in at the trot and started turn on the haunches. He was giving me some really good answers to my aids especially when I would test to see if he would follow my hands and/or stay in the carriage I asked for when totally relaxed. Of course his strength is still developing but at least it's going in the right direction.

Over the last week I've really focused a lot more on feel and identifying straightness issues and it has helped improved his walk under saddle. I knew from the get go that he had a nice walk but under saddle it is so often short and too quick with lack of swing through his back. Focusing almost entirely on making sure he is straight though his body has helped 'unlock' his spine especially at the LS and helped him relax and swing with some over stride. I also have been doing a mental checklist to make sure - (1) Is he straight and even on both sides? (2) Is he finishing all the way through to the bridle? and (3) Can I feel his hind legs stepping into my hands? and if it's no to a single one of those.....immediately making little corrections..........I think that's why we're rating an 8 in the quality of his gaits, even if only in my instructor's eyes (though he felt pretty darn good underneath me).

On the downside, the stinker threw me and threw me hard the other day. It was his typical MO just as I was settling in the saddle he launched so I didn't have my right foot fully planted in the stirrup. Luckily I landed initially on my feet but fell back and got just some road rash on my elbow. Got right back on the little sh!t and have since trail ridden him without issue. If I didn't know with 200% certainty that he is full welsh cob I'd swear there was some sh!tland in there.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Flight wrote:Maybe, but it aligns with what I've been learning over the past couple of years. It's interesting just how subjective and how varied horseriders views on horses and training is really...

I got the book and started reading last night--so thank you, Flight! I'm finding that it actually does align with a lot of what I've learned about biomechanics from more well known sources over the years...Like Demi, I'm inclined to be open about alternative ways of explaining topics, as often different learning occurs for me when I hear/read things stated in a different way.

Exvet, I'm glad you landed well, but that Shetland I mean little Welsh S is worrying! Is it worth it to trail ride him? Junior and you are making awesome progress.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:11 pm

demi wrote:

I find that I need my dressage books to be dead tree books that I can tab and highlight (I realize Kindle allows this, but it's not the same). I digest the information best if I read a couple paragraphs at a time, right before bed. In fact, I should restore the stack of dressage books that is usually on my nightstand.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:45 pm

I bought the Kindle version in case it was crap, but it actually looks like a good reference book to have in paper. I'm like you SF in that I have a whole bookcase dedicated to training books with various notes and tabs in them.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Oh ugh, Exvet, glad you are ok. Mounting shenanigans are especially scary. As you know, it's also something I've been dealing with when it comes to my welsh. Glad to hear Junior is doing so well!

Tuddy, that's one handsome monkey! Excited to hear updates when you start your lessons with him.

I did some test riding with RP today to see how he might handle the succession of movements in the training level tests and also to familiarize myself with those new tests. Went pretty well (though I might have blanked out on where to do a stretchy circle in t-2). But there are definitely things we need to work on.

There's also a tricky transition sequence in t-3 that needs some practice: you go from canter to trot at A and then need to walk before F. I think he handles transitions like that well, but it's still one I really need to plan for/ride well because there's not a lot of time to ride that. I also consider it a pretty challenging sequence for a training level horse, so I need to make sure he's really set up well for that canter-trot transition to make the trot-walk smooth. We also desperately need to practice our centerlines. MM has always been so good at staying straight down a centerline, that even when she was a very green bean, that was a reliably good part of our test. RP, however is much, much more wiggly in general and will often readjust himself in the halt. So we definitely need to spend time working on straight straight straight off the rail and standing nicely in a halt.

There's another show towards the end of June, luckily entries are due only the week before so I have some time to see if RP might be ready. If not, there will be plenty more opportunities later in the summer/fall. It's a bit too much for me (mentally, physically, financially) to take both to a show right now. So, the plan is to take only one to each show. I'd love to wait until fall/cooler weather to get MM back out. She does ok in the heat normally, but third level is a lot more physically demanding than training level. And RP seems to thrive in the heat. He stays cool as a cucumber and seems to have more energy the warmer it gets. But we'll see where everyone is and how everyone is doing.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Blob, you/RP and Queso/I are in similar places. I learned recently that while Queso's great at patiently halting and standing on a loose rein, those skills don't necessarily transfer over to on-the-bit patient halts. In fact, they 0% transfer over.

So we've been schooling 5-10 sec immobile (ish) halts and then calmly trotting onwards. I have been moving the spot at which we halt around the arena, though, so it's not always at X or on the centerline at all.

Kiwi has been great lately. I have been schooling halfsteps more frequently-- touching on them once or more per ride-- and I can now use them to improve the medium trot. Sometimes the halfsteps accidentally turn into a levade/footstomp move, but hey. Progress.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 am

I had a bit of a centerline session yesterday with Laddie. I thought it would be a quick little pre show season refresher... Frankly it was a trainwreck, and we know better. So we will be spending part of our lesson tomorrow ironing it out. Stupid place to throw away points. I'd also like to do some rein back practice, but that's a bit of a two edged sword, as he already has a tendency to go into reverse on the centerline halt. So I think we'll leave that alone for now--it's not awful, but I'd like it to be more perfect!

Other than that, I'm super-pleased with the progress we are making together. We had a bit of an epiphany last week which has made a HUGE difference in the quality of the canter and has also helped my very painful SI to not be so sore, so I'm happy.

Trainer is twitching to start on FCs seriously as she feels we now have the foundation work down for them, but now I'm holding her back because I want to get my two second level regional championship qualifying scores before we start throwing confusing things at him and possibly lose the counter canter for a bit.

I think I'm going to a show on 21st/22nd to do just that. It would be nice if the heavens didn't open every time we tried to ride outside in the full-sized arena... (Literally, yesterday I got out there and as soon as I planted my butt in the saddle, the black clouds rolled in and the thunder and lightning started. A drop of rain I can deal with, but I'm not being fried on an exposed mountainside just to practice a dressage test!)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:26 am

Glad you are okay exvet. I hate mounting shenanigans. Sounds like you have so much positive, yay!

Moutaineer-hope you have a good show!

I'm still struggling with the right lead canter. We did a couple steps of rein-back to canter after 2 strides of walk and we got it. So he's anticipating the canter and blowing through the left shoulder and dropping the right shoulder. I just can't seem to get it, but I need to stop stressing about it as that's only caused tension my last 2 rides. We'll move on and work on it in my lesson.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:05 am

Mountaineer, that's the same weekend we'll be showing. So definitely will be sending you good luck/solidarity vibes.

And smart to get that second level stuff done before focusing on changes. I lost part of my show season last year because I started introducing flying changes. I did it just in time for regionals, so even though we qualified, I didn't go because at that time we had neither a confirmed change nor a counter canter. It was all madness for a month or so before things evened back out.

Funny how challenging the basics of a straight centerline and halt can be!

Ponchiwa, you hit the nail on the head--quiet, loose rein relax halt does not in fact translate at all to attentive, straight, square halt.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:23 am

Well the stinker did take me to FEI and his scores were not too shabby. I have limited property and wish I could keep him a pasture ornament and get another third wheel for our trail riding string; but, that's not possible. I'll keep working on it for the summer. I'd rather die with my boots on than end up like my father so while I don't relish the idea of injury there are worse things that could happen. If he gets worse I'll just accept that he's a long term pet. Hopefully he'll come around to be a bit more reliable. I had him there once. I might be able to get him there again. We'll see - but I will definitely NOT mount without someone holding on to him. I did that for the first two years I owned him; so, it's not a new thing really.

Junior was such a good egg today and worked really well. Ace was also a gem. I do have two who are steady eddies; so, it's not so bad. I appreciate everyone's concern.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:17 pm

musical comedy wrote:

Excellent point. I remember when the jog up photos for the Olympic dressage horses was published and some of the ddbb commentators were decrying the muscling. Maybe it was still udbb. And I thought well either every single Olympic level grand prix dressage horse is incorrectly muscled... Or the commentator is incorrect.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Chisamba wrote:
musical comedy wrote:

Excellent point. I remember when the jog up photos for the Olympic dressage horses was published and some of the ddbb commentators were decrying the muscling. Maybe it was still udbb. And I thought well either every single Olympic level grand prix dressage horse is incorrectly muscled... Or the commentator is incorrect.

I don't really remember that so perhaps my comments are off base, but in a jog its is an electric atmosphere so the horses are probably not going to be at their "best" and maybe its not the time to assess things as "the way it is". My horse can look awful if he is looking at something in the distance- or he can stand funny and make himself look all kinds of awful..... sure hope no one would read into that too much and say I ride badly. I think for me, how I would phrase this is to look at a series of photos of the horses where they were in a calm/normal stance and take the photos from many angles, or better yet video.

Now, I am not saying this covers up a multitude of sins but just trying to understand context (again, not seeing these photos).

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 pm

I've been getting ready for a show in a few weeks. Its just 1:1 and 1:3 so it's a starting point since we haven't shown as much. Lessons have been productive and I am seeing results. My issue right now is that i am getting headaches, so I have to be a bit more careful when I ride in the sun/heat.dust, we have a lot of things blooming now so the pollen is out in full force.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:51 am

blob wrote:And smart to get that second level stuff done before focusing on changes. I lost part of my show season last year because I started introducing flying changes. I did it just in time for regionals, so even though we qualified, I didn't go because at that time we had neither a confirmed change nor a counter canter. It was all madness for a month or so before things evened back out.

This is my life. We have been trying to teach Odin flying changes for YEARS. Suddenly they seem to have clicked somewhat (not consistently, but about half the time now I don't get the added bonus of whiplash-inducing acrobatics). Counter-canter has managed to be pretty good, even in conjunction with FCs.
Until, of course, this week. This week where I have my first 2nd level show in absolutely ages this coming Sunday. This week so far the following has counted as flying change aids: putting my inside leg on a bit, both legs on to ask for more canter, any change in flexion whatsoever even if it is towards the leading leg, sneezing, blinking too hard, and saying "excuse me?" to my instructor. And these are the crazily-flinging-my-body-and-my-legs-around variety of changes. And I have two 3-loop canter serpentines in my test. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:29 am

Hey, the book is only $11 on Kindle, you can have a look and decide for yourselves or not. It's difficult to say more without copying pages from the book and I"m pretty sure I can't do that.

LOL Mari, I'm doing similar tests this weekend too (but only a training day) and I'm hoping I don't have the same 'helpful' attempts at FCs. Goodluck!!

I've been working a bit on our centrelines, square halts and no more poking our heads up pulling faces at the judges during our halts! It has worked and I think all our halts were improved since our last competition.
norseys.jpg
norseys.jpg (90.96 KiB) Viewed 24140 times

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Norsey looks great! What a nice picture of you both. :)

Mari - that sounds very frustrating, but at least he has changes now! lol

Rye - good luck at your show and I can't wait to hear about it.

I had my second lesson with my new trainer last night. I am certain now this trainer is good for us. We just worked on the basics last night and she hopped on him for 5 minutes and I learned just how much more Bliss can do. Then when I got back on it felt like he wasn't touching the ground and I had no trouble maintaining that feel in all gaits. The main difference was that she was having me ask for more. Shorter rein, more forward, asking him to balance himself better off his hind legs, and then letting him out the front door a little bit without dropping him. Here's a very brief video snippet which I don't think does it justice, but I am VERY excited to know how much he really has in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNhqrVFhZ0

demi

Postby demi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:02 am

You and Norsey look great, Flight. He’s looking like a grown up dressage horse! I love seeing his progress.

Wow Rosie! I’ve always liked Bliss’s natural movement, but he looks more connected than ever in this latest video and the resulting cadence is very nice to watch! I’m glad the new trainer is going to work out. Exciting stuff!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:54 am

Looking really super, Rosie! You must be very happy with that. He's a lovely mover.

Looks like you've found the right trainer. That is exciting!

Lovely happy picture of you and Norsey, Flight.

Our centerlines continue to be a work in progress. I'm trying so hard to sit still and back and keep my legs draped on him and not interfere with his mouth, and Mr.Worker Bee Laddie is offering up all sorts of potential options for what he thinks I might want as I put my hand back on the rein after the salute... "is this where we rein back? Maybe a little sideways? No? Well, lets walk forward a couple of steps, then! We must do all the things!!!!"

About one in three times I get a nice straight halt. Then a second later I look in the mirror and see he's suddenly got one of his hind legs hovering 6" off the ground. Gah!!!!

No point on getting mad about it, it's just his personality :) Sadly the judge won't find it as endearing as I do...

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:31 am

Wow Rosie, very nice.

And beautiful pic Flight.

Ah, halts and centerline, old nemesis from the past. It's interesting having a completely clean start with that. And knowing that all the bad habits will be things I created... :lol:

We had a breaktrhough with canter and halts in my lesson on Friday. We figured out the moment I'm throwing him away and worked through it. I was on the right track, cantering from the walk, but still dropping my head, hands and hip and not insisting on the canter. There is one moment with him to get it and if we don't, we get the wrong the wrong lead. So, onward and upward. Keep calm and canter on, as long as it's correct.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Lovely happy pic Flight!
Rosie - you are super inspiring. Actually, you all are, and I love these threads.

We had a pretty good test this morning. The canter strike-offs were horrendously wrong, which is very frustrating as they are supposed to be our strong point, and we got a very expressive 'change' during the first serpentine. So three 4s on the test, but balanced out by five 7s: one for the trot 10m circle right, one for the medium canter, one for the extended walk, one for a simple change, and (crazily) one for the last halt. Seriously, CL halts are normally fairly drunken affairs for us.

I ended up with 60.96, which is our best score to date for Elementary. So I'm super happy. Much to work on, but so much better than the first few shows. I am so tense with the sitting trot when I get before the judge. I lose my stirrups constantly, grippy knees, haywire legs in general. But now it's just practice practice practice.

Flight, I have to laugh at your "making faces at the judges" line. Odin thinks the salute is the PERFECT time to have a look around :lol: I have yet to convince him otherwise...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:49 pm

mari-love your pics, smile, attitude and altitude. that is a seriously awesome butt high pic! onward and upward! (maybe not that up... :lol: )

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:33 am

So, I didn't really start with goals this time but I am really happy to report that Kimba and I have focused on cooperation and it us paying off. An increased focus on lateral work in canter and renewed focus in counter canter had had positive impact on gait quality . She is also beginning to get more reliable in effort in hat medium gaits.

Sunstorm is better in his relaxation but not relaxed enough in lateral work yet.

I took on a new beast. A amish carriage horse who must have been well loved, he is sweet and looks for affection like a loved horse, but, he was underweight and had hip and knee scuffs like maybe he went down in asphalt. He was a last minute purchase off the truck going to slaughter, so if I can simply get him rideable and sell him into a good home I will be satisfied. His feet have been trimmed and his awful teeth addressed. I had him at home in quarantine and he did boot like being alone so he took a road trip, it took a Facebook community of friends ro find him. He hit the road running, went north into New York state, then headed west. He managed to go about 8 miles in half an hour. However once he had a companion he showed no further indication to leave.
20190421_220434.jpg
Guess why I called him excalibur or sword face
20190421_220434.jpg (176.09 KiB) Viewed 23860 times

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 pm

WOW!! Chisamba I guess that means he is pretty fit. Sad that he may have been confused trying to return home - creatures of habit. I had a pony years ago that I had sold who ran away twice within a week. First time he was reported to the police by a neighbor on someones front lawn. Second time he went down main street and lucky not to be hit. I immediately refunded money to buyer and kept him until I lost in his mid-30's. I was very happy to get him back as I never wanted to sell him but was pressed by my parents.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Great to see everyone's progress and pictures!

Chisamba, looking forward to hearing excalibur's (is that his official name?) updates.

Mari, great pictures and congrats on your high score despite an unplanned airs above ground! Do you have more shows coming up in the next few months?

Riding (or rather the lack of riding) for me the last couple weeks has been frustrating. I've had some unexpected work travel that has interrupted some riding time and then we've had some bad weather getting in the way. And unfortunately I've been tied up with work on the good weather days and free on the bad weather ones, sigh. I was really looking forward to getting back on to a normal schedule this weekend but it STORMED both days. We have a covered arena so riding in rain is fine. But I won't ride in thunder and lightening and this weekend we got so much rain in that even the covered arena is mostly a puddle.

The show that seemed plenty far away, suddenly seems around the corner and I'm still not sure who I'm going to take. Entries are due Friday, so hopefully I'll get enough riding in this week that I can make a decision rooted in some kind of reality.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Josette wrote:WOW!! Chisamba I guess that means he is pretty fit. Sad that he may have been confused trying to return home - creatures of habit. I had a pony years ago that I had sold who ran away twice within a week. First time he was reported to the police by a neighbor on someones front lawn. Second time he went down main street and lucky not to be hit. I immediately refunded money to buyer and kept him until I lost in his mid-30's. I was very happy to get him back as I never wanted to sell him but was pressed by my parents.

I do think he was trotting home. He does seem to feel more at home with me now.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:07 am

Chisamba - thank you for saving that guy. What a unique blaze - I thought "Trident" when I saw it, and wasn't far off.

Mari - great pics, and well done on working your way up the levels.

I was reflecting today that somehow, I AM getting better, despite all the setbacks, year after year. Naturally it is not as fast as I would like, but it is happening. This week I'm doing one of the Ritter 5-day challenges. The theme is "Contact and Connection." One of the main bits is maintaining an elbow/hip connection, which I worked on tonight. I was surprised that it really helped me keep Kyra together when the hay baler got a little close just as we started to canter, and she started her go-to tension maneuvers. I had video of the ride, and although it took longer to ride out the tension, it looked like a 5-second blip on the video. Still from tonight's ride below. I think the next thing I really need to work on is rolling my thigh in so my toes are more forward. I might post some video and thoughts in the canter thread when this challenge is over.

Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Lovely, lovely pictures Mari and Straightforward! Odie is a powerful looking little guy and Kyra is elegant. Mari, I cant believe your legs were all “haywire”! You did a great job. And SF, I see harmony and ease of movement in those pics. Just lovely to look at. Thanks for posting.

I feel like my comments are too gushy sometimes, but I really mean them. We have a group of very nice horses and riders here!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Thank you for saving that guy, Chisamba. You have a good ❤️.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm

blob wrote:Great to see everyone's progress and pictures!

Chisamba, looking forward to hearing excalibur's (is that his official name?) updates.

well some one told my son that Excalibur is the name of a sheath cleaner, he asked me if i thought they called it that to make a play on the word sword.. um, maybe... and he wondered if people would consequently think we called him that because he is a dick head ( which he is not) it also turns out Excalibur does not roll off the tongue.. so its Scally for short. although we do refer to him as sword head too, his head is very long, narrow and a bit roman nose curved.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Bless you chisamba for saving Excalibur aka Scally. Keep us posted on his transformation! Love the marking:)

SF very elegant picture of you on Kyra!

Mari oh my! Very expressive photo!! Congrats on sticking that and finishing well. Appy's!!

Flight Norsey is one big dude! Lovely halt and a great smile there from you!

Rosie sounds like you are on the right track with Bliss, that's awesome you have found a trainer that works for you both. Having good help on the ground is so invaluable.

My goal to finish out this challenge is to get back on Joplin before Cedar comes back (had to postpone the clinic this month to July due to storms, no indoor or covered here) and to get Rip fitter for the hotter weather.

Worked on the C T C transitions with Rip today that piedmont and chisamba reminded us all about in the canter thread. I think these transitions will be very helpful for Rip and I in many ways. It gets his motor going (very good thing!) it gets him really listening and yet anticipating (another good thing for him) and I think it will be a good fitness help with us. Right now stuck in the arena because fields are too wet, which is fine.

Get Gaila back going.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 pm

The weather here is lovely. We are taking a couple of days off as Laddie came out a little indiscernable to anyone but me ouchie on that left front again on Sunday. He worked right out of it in no time once he had a canter, and was sound and forward and happy to work after, but still...

I'm guessing we still have some tinkering with his shoeing to do. We changed things up last time per the vet, and he felt great, but he's now 4 weeks out so everything has grown and changed again. Gaah…. farrier is out for two weeks, too. Sometimes I think we have just got too damned complicated and a good trim and a set of plain steel shoes without wedges and pads and whatnot would probably do the trick. I should probably get the vet back for yet another set of x-rays before the farrier--we'll glow in the dark soon. And of course the problem with the wedges and pads and whatnot in this weather is that the gravel can work under them and make them sore, too. Who knows?

Either that or he heard the words "show entry..." I have until Friday to decide about that, so we'll see how he feels when I hop on him later in the week. I suspect he'll be perfectly fine, but I am, of course, being a worry-wort, because I can.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 am

Well I went to my lesson today and Junior seemed to be in good spirits when he was loaded/unloaded from the trailer. He warmed up fine and then during our lesson he decided that he really didn't want to fill out the right rein <period>. It became one of those two steps forward, one step back situations. His momentum {w-t-c) was definitely far better than a few months ago but he was belligerent when it came to finishing through to the bridle on the right side. There were times when I would move his haunches around that he would free up his back, swing and come through but they were just moments. We did a lot of baby serpentines at the canter. At conclusion of the lesson I was asked to show how our halts were coming along since a couple of months earlier the halts were tentative at best with respect to maintaining it and finishing into the bridle and staying there (not ducking or sucking back, not stepping out with one hind nor raising his head to look around and sight see).......well the halts were pristine.

Junior is the same drama queen his father is, or lets just say very opinionated, but in a relatively safe, controlled way. I was told that the way he was finishing over this back into the bridle in response to my request to halt and then placing my calves against his sides was the way to go and work in every gait - he seems to be starting to get the concept that my legs are for not just for requesting that he move his energy into a forward momentum but that he move his inner energy over his back into the hand/bridle and recycle = if requested. He was a little turd through the lesson but finished in a way that only a welsh cob can - showing all, that when he wants to, he really knows more than what he protests against.......LOL. He's such a big stinker but like the other (little) one, he's MY big stinker.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:24 am

Exvet - sounds like a really productive lesson. I really like " the concept that my legs are for not just for requesting that he move his energy into a forward momentum but that he move his inner energy over his back into the hand/bridle and recycle". We're also working on that, with varying degrees of success. Just a squeeze does nothing for Odin if he's in the mood to sight-see. I actually have to bump him with my spur sometimes. At least he's gotten the idea that not all leg means "go", often it just means "pay attention, get ready". Just wish his attention was easier to get.

We had a clinic lesson yesterday. It was super hard work. We spent most of the time on trot work. The clinician felt that Odin's trot pace was good, but that he lacks suppleness. So bending bending bending. We did so many 5- and 6-loop serpentines, with an S-bend over the CL, really exaggerating that feeling of changing the bend and keeping it through the loop to the next change. So much obedience required from Odin, and I had to really work on my timing and clarity of aids.

To further that concept, we had to flex alternatively to the outside and the inside on the straight line, and then moved that into quick changes between SI and renvers. By that point my horse felt like a dream to ride, ready for the next aid, into both reins, motoring forward. Now to try and recreate this feeling all by myself...

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm

:mrgreen: SF--nice horse (although I am more than a little biased ;) ).
Very elegant and your position is very nice.

Wow Chisamba. I am glad you found Excaliber and that he was good after his travels. I once went to look at a horse in Washington. The owners' were nice enough to put me up for the night. I had decided to buy the guy but when I woke up in the AM there was all kinds of activity and lots of talking. I said, can I help with anything? Apparently, the owner forgot to clip the stall door and the gelding went for a walk about and was gone :shock: (as I suppose, he too didn't really like being alone). I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they would find him. This was coastal WA and the trees are thick with about 12 inches between trees. Of course, the horse just went to the road and about a mile up the road...until he found the next horse to talk to.

My foot is coming along. I am weaning off the crutches slowly and start physical therapy tomorrow. Seeing SF ride makes me really want to get back with it. Hopefully, not too much longer although I think I am probably going to have to buy 2 different sized pair of shoes. The foot is still on the massive side :P .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing wonderful photos! Mari and Flight, you need to frame (some of) these :-) Susan and SF, it is lovely to see ballerina Kyra in action and looking so nice. I'm sure you can't wait to get back to it, Susan.

On the discussion of leg on meaning "recycle energy all the way through, please", I was very excited that in the new saddle I'm trying it is super easy for me to use a very clear but light leg to indicate "get your back more up and recycle energy through, please." I think the shorter flap helps me "communicate" lol!

I'm having a lot of moments the last two months where I actually notice if Emi has to drop her poll to keep doing what we're doing. To me, that is a very clear signal to either 1 Ask her for more energy + poll up. I may have to abandon the exercise in motion to get her do that. or, 2. to give her a needed break if she can't maintain that energy. Our arena rides are becoming a lot more focussed and clear thanks to me actually paying attention consistently. She is building better muscle with this way of working, too. It's kind of amazing to see on a 17 year old horse!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 pm

We've had a few days off for the swelling of the month. No lameness... Mikey banged or cut (can't quite tell which) his front right tendon (not the tendon, but swelling around it) near the top last Tuesday and it's almost better. So a few nights in (they are on night turnout) and it's much better. He should be going out tonight. Lots of handgrazing and handwalking yesterday. I mounted and walked today. It went down even more with that so we'll see tomorrow.

Two steps forward, one step back. I'll take that.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:34 pm

jingles Chantal

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:03 am

Chantal, I feel you!

Laddie was sound today, so I've just drunk half a bottle of wine and done my show entries for next weekend. I'm ridiculously superstitious about this stuff, sigh.

Return to “Dressage Training”