May & June Goals & Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Re: May & June Goals & Progress

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Yeah, Chisamba, he knows (and I know) a one-rein stop. My reflexes just weren't quick enough. When he was "passaging," I thought I could keep it under control and that he would relax when he got to his friend, then the ducks "happened" and I just wasn't quick enough to bring his head around. I was thinking about that all evening after his little escapade and scolding myself for not being more pro-active in that regard.

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby blob » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:01 pm

thanks, all. It is helpful and reassuring to hear that many of you have felt this way, particularly at this stage. Exvet, i like your idea of music, I'm sure it will help me get out of my head, which is definitely adding to the problem.

I really wish I could get my precision in all things later. I think perhaps spending some time focusing on basic things with really clear aids will maybe help me rebuild some confidence. And maybe I can have my trainer put some more rides on MM. He's only ridden her 2x, but it might be helpful for me to take a break from the FCs and for him to do some more on her. It's intimidating to be at such a new place.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:03 pm

Hot4Spots wrote:When he was "passaging," I thought I could keep it under control and that he would relax when he got to his friend, then the ducks "happened" and I just wasn't quick enough to bring his head around. I was thinking about that all evening after his little escapade and scolding myself for not being more pro-active in that regard.

Maia has frequent moments like that. Before escalating to a one-rein stop, I throw her into a janky shoulder-in or haunches-in. It's hard -- even for her athletic self -- to rear, bolt, or buck from a lateral movement. Most days that badly executed shoulder-in or haunches-in is enough to make Maia rethink her life choices and suddenly cooperate.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:20 pm

heddylamar wrote:Maia has frequent moments like that. Before escalating to a one-rein stop, I throw her into a janky shoulder-in or haunches-in. It's hard -- even for her athletic self -- to rear, bolt, or buck from a lateral movement. Most days that badly executed shoulder-in or haunches-in is enough to make Maia rethink her life choices and suddenly cooperate.

Yes, I've done that too, but usually it has worked best when he was not quite as worked up, e.g., when we were heading back on the trail ride the other day and he got a little prancy, I asked for shoulder-in past a bicycle rider, and he settled. Unfortunately, this little episode escalated so quickly, it was rodeo time before I could do much (plus my misjudgment of just how excited he was!) :oops:

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:24 pm

Goldenhorse - your posts and lovely pictures stirred a memory for me from long ago - the beautiful palomino Morgan, Prince of Pride. I don't suppose your fellow is one of his descendants?

https://www.morganhorse.com/upload/phot ... on6.14.pdf

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Hot4Spots wrote:Goldenhorse - your posts and lovely pictures stirred a memory for me from long ago - the beautiful palomino Morgan, Prince of Pride. I don't suppose your fellow is one of his descendants?

Looking at the pedigrees, I don't see any relatives unless it's way way back when you start to see the foundation horses of the breed. My little guy was sired by Farceur's Fools Gold shown in the picture. So I never ever want to hear anyone complain about taking care of a mane or tail again.
Sonny-2byclaudia.jpg
Sonny-2byclaudia.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 19609 times

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 am

Excellent show reports Rye, Mountaineer and Goldhorse (and welcome! What a pretty boy you have!!)

Some lovely pictures and good video Rosie. So fun to see everyone!

SF hope your eternal pit of hand walking despair is over by end of July.

As for me, I've been working 2 regularly, adding back in Gaila now as well. Rip for the most part is going well though I did have a oh shit strap kind of day the other day. It's been very windy and he was on his toes in the arena with some spooks in him. So I ended up riding one handed for most of the ride while the other was stabilizing me with the strap. Hot4Spots I feel you on the spook meter! They can happen quickly (Rip's was out of the blue that day) and be in full force before you can sneeze. It does get old, sigh. I usually ride out in the field if it is going to be windy but it had rained a bunch so was too wet. Made it through the ride and got some good work in, so was overall ok.

Since then I have been in the field riding the slopes trying to build in fitness (maybe too much?) in our heat prepping for Cedar next month. Have really enjoyed the grades to canter up, feel the power Rip is putting in. Tried a bit of CC up the slope on a bending line, too much as of yet for Rip. Not sure if that is fair anyway. So I've been working Joplin over caveletti for her stifles and love how she is going. Decided to give it a go on line (thankfully!) with Rip, oh my word what a dingbat! He was not paying attention at first and got caught up in the caveletti which pissed him off and went off bucking, then tried bouncing them, too funny! Then rushed through and came out bucking the other side, did that a few times. Finally he settled and quietly went through them both directions several times, got cookies and a good boy and quit. I think caveletti will be in the work load for Rip now. Joplin does them beautifully and has never been silly about them.

Joplin is moving just beautifully! She is such a joy every day.

Gaila was not nearly as silly over the cavelletti today, much prefer mares!!

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:52 am

goldhorse wrote:
Hot4Spots wrote:Goldenhorse - your posts and lovely pictures stirred a memory for me from long ago - the beautiful palomino Morgan, Prince of Pride. I don't suppose your fellow is one of his descendants?

Looking at the pedigrees, I don't see any relatives unless it's way way back when you start to see the foundation horses of the breed. My little guy was sired by Farceur's Fools Gold shown in the picture. So I never ever want to hear anyone complain about taking care of a mane or tail again.
Sonny-2byclaudia.jpg

As an Appy person (1977-present) I am an expert on mane and tail care from the other side of the equation: preserving and maximizing thin and/or minimal hair. :lol:

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Well, I'm back-ish... not really lol. I'm still broken, have an MRI scheduled for later today to see exactly what damage was done to my groin way back in Feb. But, Andrea and I did a switcheroo yesterday. She has too many training horses, not enough time for her horses, and I can't ride... so, yesterday, I dropped Miro off at her barn and I took home one of her horses - a 3 year old Azteca who is ugly as sin lol. So, I'll be putting the foundation work on Moose (longing, learning how to be a good citizen) while Miro goes on a starvation diet at her barn to lose weight. (I'm only half joking about that.) Good thing is that Miro is still showing improvements and he looked very good yesterday when I longed him for her so that she would have a baseline on where he is at this moment in healing. Unfortunately, I am not healing, so hopefully the MRI gives me some answers.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Darn, Dresseur! We need you riding again! I hope your MRI gives you some fixable answers. I'm sure the little guy will blossom into a swan with your guidance :)

Hot 4 Spots, enough with the falling off, no fun at all. Glad you weren't badly hurt.

Goldhorse, I love your gold horse :) That picture of your horse's sire makes my scissor finger itch. Really, what a burden (literally and metaphorically) for all concerned to bear!

I'm still messing around with Laddie's feet. New shoeing package this week--full pads with frog supports instead of just heel supports, which I felt were putting too much pressure on too small an area--he was starting to point to take pressure off that left heel, and his back is sore through his loins, which I am sure is from standing awkwardly. Gaah… I hate to be doing this at this time of year.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Dresseur! I am so glad you’re “back-ish”! Totally agree with Mountaineer that we need you back riding. Some of these injuries can take a long time to heal. Hang in there.

These 2 month goals and progress threads are the best. I just quickly skimmed back over the previous page and laughed where Chantal responded to Mountaineer “Is that what I’m missing? The half bottle of wine?” I laughed because it’s Friday evening and I am on my second glass of a nice CA dry white...as I look out on the porch and see 5 of Rocky’s freshly washed pads drying in the sun.

I’ve been very busy with some personal business deals lately but when I am finished, I should have more time to spend on riding! DH has been very cooperative in letting me simplify our lives. Every three months I have been spending a week in Michigan with my mom who’s 90, and she keeps telling me to simplify NOW while I am still young!! For the first time in my life I am actually listening to my mom.

I am pretty sure I havent met my goals this time but I’ve come close. Sorta. Maybe. I need to look and see what my goals actually were. But later. I am enjoying my wine right now, and am going to go back through the May & June thread and just look at the pictures!

Oh, but first, H4S, I held my breath reading about your latest kurfuffle with Mark. You have my admiration and respect! I know you are elderly (ahem) and I can say that because I am elderly, too. I get encouraged just knowing that there are several of us older ones on this board that are still riding.

Ok, so now back to the pics (and vids!!)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:20 pm

Great to read everyone's posts, I've been living vicariously.

Ultrasound shows (in the vet's words) spectacular tendon structures. Just a blood vessel burst when he initially hit himself and that's causing the swelling and little bit of heat we are seeing. So nothing to worry about. Back to work baby!

Yay!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:50 am

I so enjoy reading these posts and updates. Like Demi said I'm in the older group here so my progress goals are more for our physical and mental well being. H4S - your post made my heart rate go up. I'm so very glad you had a soft landing and no injuries. I've had a few of those moments when pony had a short circuit wired in there somewhere. I've had some good rides in the past week when the daily rains finally ended. However, now the humid weather makes it buggy no matter how much fly spray. So yesterday was a testy ride but I managed to get some cooperation at the end. The chiropractor stopped by and made some minor adjustments and he looked very content and sleepy. So hope he feels better for next ride.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Sorry for the lack of pics but my current photographer is away on holiday :P

Delilah did her first proper flying change yesterday, I still cannot believe it. Most of my lesson involved working on sitting trot (no stirrups) and leg yieldings. Then with the canter after doing a few simple changes and taking my stirrups back (My legs were already sore from polishing a dance routine the night before so by this stage they were jelly) my trainer had us working on flying changes. The first few she broke into the trot, and then she just suddenly had this lightbulb moment and got the change.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:40 am

I am NOT going to give up on this, but I guess I'm going to have to up the meds. I gave Mark 1.75 ccs of ACE today. We started down the road and he was looky, but quiet. I followed the same route I did on last week's successful ride. I was about half way back when he started getting happy feet, but it was more like jigging than the elevated passagy trot he goes into when he's really agitated. I asked for s-i and he walked, but resumed the jig when I straightened him, so I got off (what the heck, I can use the exercise) and led him the final 1/2 mile home. I was glad I did. While several cars passed us, and all politely slowed down, at one point a loudly rattling FedEx truck went by at close to 50 mph on a road marked 30 mph. Mark got a bit agitated, but settled pretty quickly and quietly walked the rest of the way. I got back on and walked him around the arena for five minutes, so he got a full hour's walk. I guess maybe 2.25 cc, 2.5 cc? Vet said up to 3cc, but it's been difficult finding the line between calm/unsteady on the hoof! My previous Appy was a great trail horse, but when he was tranq'd for, say, hock injections, he practically fell over when given 2ccs, and he was about 50% TB, so that's why I've been cautious in the amount I've been giving Mark for these trail rides. (On a different issue, after my scrambling for a new barn last fall, a lot of my less used equipment got bundled into different locations - truck bed, storage shed, etc. I can't find my old eventing vest, which I think might be useful at present! I just know if I stop looking and buy a new one $$$, I'll find it. Darn.)

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 pm

Hot4spots, is there a buddy you can take with you? Someone with a calm, reliable trail horse?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:47 pm

awww wish I was "in person" to help you out, My horse is a good babysitter.... ;( good luck and it sounds like you have a good thought process

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm

blob wrote:Hot4spots, is there a buddy you can take with you? Someone with a calm, reliable trail horse?

There is a newbie dressage rider with what is supposed to be a pretty quiet Paint. We are trying to coordinate schedules.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:14 am

Dresseur, hoping that the MRI showed something that can be fixed!
Chantal - great news that it was nothing serious.
Borrowed freedom yay for flying changes :D It's so good when they start to get the hang of them.
Hot4spots - nothing wrong with getting off, better than falling off I think. Do you have to trail ride him with meds on board? Is he good in an arena etc?

We had our working equitation competition over the weekend. The weather was cool (not that I'm minding it after our hot summer) but the days turned out really nice. We had a bit of wild windy rain overnight which had me wondering if it would be cancelled, but it moved on and watered the sand pad nicely :)
Ding is really getting the hang of it now. We need to work on small circles with changes. I tend to push him too much as he feels behind my leg, but if I let him back off a bit, he can get them in better.
For the speed round, he actually went quite fast and was looking at where to go next! He is such a nice little horse really.

stactweding1.jpg
stactweding1.jpg (111.94 KiB) Viewed 19264 times

stactweding2.jpg
stactweding2.jpg (93.04 KiB) Viewed 19264 times

stactweding3.jpg
stactweding3.jpg (90.84 KiB) Viewed 19264 times

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:54 am

Flight, he's good in an arena, and when I was still showing, he could be tense and occasionally spooky at new venues, but rarely explosive. I've tried to trail ride him since he was four. He's 15 now. Sigh. Of the seven horses i have owned, three, including Mark, were four or younger when I got them. None gave me the issues he has. I had a cowboy work with him, I had the colt starter who started him under saddle work with him, I've ponied him on the trail, I've taken him out with quiet, experienced trail horses, and at some point (if undrugged and, apparently, when drugged, since he must need more), he loses it. Even when he was 100% sound it was an issue, because almost all of our trail riding areas are hard-packed fire roads with dropoffs or single track trails where you need a reliable, sensible horse. They're not areas where you can just "kick on" and work through the misbehavior. Until he was injured, I made our trail riding attempts without drugging him. Since he's been restricted to walking, I tried taking familiar, on barn property rides (at our old barn), gradually moving off property and turning back before he started to get worked up. Then I had to move him, in winter, and there was no opportunity to do much in that regard. Now we are settled at the new barn(since March), and I've just felt that it was safer to ACE him. I was not drugging him for his pasture strolls - about a two and a half acrea area, but Then we had our !little episode last week. Dunno.....It was said that Olympic medallist Touch of Class hated trail riding, but I have to think a horse must find trudging around an arena at the walk boring, even when I throw in a little lateral work. I plan to have the vet look at him next month. I'm not expecting soundness, but I am hoping she'll perhaps say he can be trotted a little, so I can give him more to do and/or be able to be more pro-active when he starts misbehaving,rather than shoulder in, one rein stops, check and release, please f---ing WALK!!!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm

So, it's good to be working with a horse again instead of just brushing my horse's hair and telling him how beautiful he looks lol!

Moose settled in very well. On Friday, I tacked him up and we did 3-4 laps of the round pen in each direction just to see how he'd handle everything. He's sensitive but sensible. He's only had a bridle on twice before and he seems to be adjusting to having the bit in his mouth quite nicely. Since it's been so hot, I also started introducing him to getting hosed and to fly spray. It's funny how we take things for granted with fully trained horses; like being able to hose them down after a work and I'm getting to teach this from the ground up. I better not screw up lol!

On Sunday, I attached the inside side rein for the first time (loosest setting - basically dangling a bit) and he could have cared less. Right now he's doing about 5-7 mins of trot each side with one canter transition (doing one lap of the round pen). Longe line is attached to the cavesson which sits over the bridle. I've removed the bridle's cavesson for comfort. The saddle is an old wintec, no stirrups - with a thin strap that cinches like a girth to hold the flaps down so that they don't flap and bang around. He's more reactive on his right side, so I spend a lot of time patting him and adjusting stuff on the right.

So that you guys can see the equipment... here are some shots.
This is the cavesson/bridle set up. You can also see the side rein on the inside and how loose that is. I'll probably do this another 2-3 times and then attach the outside (again... loosest setting and then he'll do that for a week or two before I gradually start adjusting them, a hole at a time over a few months.
Moose3.jpg
Moose3.jpg (73.41 KiB) Viewed 19240 times

This is the wintec - you can see the thin strap between the 2 girth billets - that helps hold the flaps down.
Moose1.jpg
Moose1.jpg (87.14 KiB) Viewed 19240 times

The longing is short, but he has to move forward. I need a longer lash on my longe whip - my round pen is quite a bit bigger than a 20 meter circle. For now, I'm walking a big circle with him.
moose2.jpg
moose2.jpg (141.2 KiB) Viewed 19240 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Dresseur, fingers crossed for your MRI and Miro's continued healing. It is nice you get to work with a young horse in the mean time.
Love everyone's updates and photos. Flight, look how tuned in Ding looks in your photos!

To reflect on my soft "goals" for this period ("I think that is the main theme I want to keep addressing in these months: Did I listen to Emi and did I communicate effectively and consistently with her? This kind of relates to being a good coach for my horse, too."), it has been a good couple of months.

I feel like lots of our work is getting softer with quieter aids, more prompt reactions and overall it is just plain easier for both of us. Even with all of our rain, we've done 5 rides/week all but one week (which was 4). I've also made some management changes (added Equithrive to her magic powder mix) and it seems to be adding some benefit.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:45 pm

So how'd I do with my goals? Hmmmm

I can do a single, clean fc R to L on Rudy but I have failed to enlist any help. Nonetheless, i am having a blast with Rudy, and I decided I don't care where we go at this point as long as we continue to progress.

Tio, I can canter both directions in the arena and can trot out and about. I may take him to a cross country schooling soon depending on what others want to do. I have not jumped at home yet but we are doing cavelleti and bounce grids. Balkiness has all but disappeared, so I guess I achieved that goal.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:45 pm

Ok, recap time...these were my May/June goals:

blob wrote:MM:
Work on better timing for changes and more consistent response
Work on creating more shoulder freedom
Continue working on up, up, up
Cross train as much as possible
Look for a new saddle? (ugh)

Responsiveness with MM has been good, but the timing for changes is still a challenge. I did not get a chance to work much this period on shoulder freedom, nor did we cross train much. But we did, hopefully find a saddle! The saddle in question arrives in a week or so and hopefully we're both happier for it. In general I think MM's trot and canter quality has really improved even if some of the movements are still very much a WIP.

blob wrote:RP:
Figure out next steps (is this a horse I want to keep?)
If yes...:
Improve lateral suppleness
Get more consistent and nuanced half-halt
Get off property to a show (schooling show or non-compete at recognized)

I suppose the question of how long I want to keep RP is still out there. But right now he feels like a project that is worth a bit more time. In the past month he has felt a lot more 'rideable' in that I am able to actually ride (as opposed to staying very quiet and out of his way) and ask for more without it being overwhelming for him. Lateral suppleness is improving, he's willing to change flexion and seems to understand better about bending rather than turning. We did not make it off property, but right now I am planning a show for him at the end of july. We'll see how things go!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Sue B wrote:I can do a single, clean fc R to L on Rudy but I have failed to enlist any help. Nonetheless, i am having a blast with Rudy, and I decided I don't care where we go at this point as long as we continue to progress.
Ditto your second sentence. I have no goals. Probably the only rider here that doesn't. I aim for a pleasant ride, as correct as is possible to get. SueB, are you always able to tell when you get a clean FC? I ask only because it seems even the pros like someone on the ground to assess their changes. I'm not confident enough to school FC on a horse that doesn't know them without trainer present. My old guy was always clean, so that wasn't a worry. I still didn't do many of them schooling. I guess I'm not into FC as much as you guys seem to be.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:39 pm

he's pretty Dresseur...! Good luck with everything! Keep us posted

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:34 pm

Rye, he's photogenic when moving... I'll give him that. But, when he's standing still he is a horrendous collection of parts with a huge roman nose and a head that he definitely needs to grow into lol.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Dresseur wrote:Rye, he's photogenic when moving... I'll give him that. But, when he's standing still he is a horrendous collection of parts with a huge roman nose and a head that he definitely needs to grow into lol.

aww, poor buddy.

We had a horse at the barn I used to board at who was a very elegant mover and a very striking color (a strawberry roan), but she had the most unfortunate face. She looked like one of the one of the horses from Avatar and it was only made worse by the fact that she had zero forelock!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm

I think he'll grow into himself and be just fine - but for now, it's great to laugh about. Poor buddy.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:07 pm

Well, I didn't have much in the way of goals this last two month period. I did have a very good clinic with Mette. I did do a show and do OK, and we did get a lot of nice work done.

However, today, I have a distinctly off horse. We've been on-again, off-again, is there actually something wrong or is he just crooked, is it the front or the back for a little while now. I'm usually pretty good at pin-pointing an issue, so this has been rather frustrating--trainers and vet haven't been able to pin anything definitive down either, particularly as he works out of it pretty quickly and moves on to do nice stuff.

But I had a weird ride yesterday so I had the farrier come over this morning to watch exactly what was going on under saddle, because I still suspected the left front and his shoeing. He could see and I could actually feel today that there is something going on in that right hind. So, I've made an appointment with my good lameness vet, but he's out of town, so we have to wait until 12th July.

I think (hope) it's the hock. He's toe dragging and a bit trippy, but he's not doing that weird circular swing thing he was when it was the stifle. He's 17 and in hard work, so he just might need them injected at this point--keep your fingers crossed it's something that easy. So he gets a little vacation, which won't do him any harm--and will probably mean he'll be sound when the vet comes..., and I get to do some projects at home that I've been putting off.

Walker, well, I did tack him up the other day and got on, and he basically said "No. Get off. I'm done with this nonsense... put me back in my field." I am going to try him in a different saddle to see if that's got anything to do with it, but at this point I may need to just accept the fact that he doesn't want to do this any more. What with that and Laddie and the fact that my very old horse has got a case of the miseries and is looking very old indeed this week, I'm feeling a bit sad and blue here at the moment.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:07 am

Aww, sorry you’ve got the blues, Mountaineer. 17 isn’t really that old by today’s standards, but maybe it’s just old enough to feel the affects of age off and on. He sounds a lot like the the way I feel myself. Some days I’m stiff and a little off, or gimpy, but once I get going the stiffness goes away. I was taking alleve during the cold months but havent had to take any for the last couple of months. Laddie is certainly more fit than I am so that helps!

I sure enjoyed the latest pictures, Flight! He’s all buff in that last picture.

MC, I don’t think I met my goals this time, and usually don’t. Maybe we should have a separate thread for progress without goals. I know for me, progress is slooowww. But at least with the weekly lessons, it’s faster than it has been for most of my riding life.

SueB, are you still using the equilab? Mine doesn’t seem to have any problem picking up the different gaits, either in the arena or on the trails. I know exactly where I trot on the trails and it always picks it up. In the arena it’s harder to tell because the lines are over the top of each other and the different colors for the different gaits are hard to see.

Buddy looks good, thanks for sharing, Dresseur.

Piedmont, what particular Equithrive are you using? My Emma is 16 and if I start riding her regularly again I’ll add a joint supplement.

Blob, I hope your new saddle works for you and MM.
Last edited by demi on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 am

demi wrote:May and June GOALS:
Continue with 1 lesson per week. did this except for one week when we had severe thunderstorms and another week when I was in Michigan.
Ride 5 times a week: 2 on trail, 3 in the arena including my lesson ride. I rode 21 times in May and 17 in June, but in June I was gone for a week. It rained so much that I couldn’t keep up with mowing the trails and I only got out on trails 6 times in 8 weeks
Video a Training Level test 3 this week
Video a Training Level test 3 sometime in the last week of June.didnt do any video but I did ride the test a few times. I am going to take the soloshot to my lesson tomorrow. It may not work because the arena is covered but has one open side and big doors on both ends.

All my “training” will be at my lessons. For my areana rides at home I will just ride training and first level stuff. With the combination of my personality and Rocky’s, I need to keep things low key.
I sort of did this, in that my rides at home were low key, but I did some of the lateral work because I need the practice. I did the lateral work the days right after lessons because I need the practice, but I didn’t “overdo” it which is what I can tend to do if I’m not careful

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:05 am

demi wrote:MC, I don’t think I met my goals this time, and usually don’t. Maybe we should have a separate thread for progress without goals. I know for me, progress is slooowww. But at least with the weekly lessons, it’s faster than it has been for most of my riding life.

Nahh, this is goals and/or progress. I like the progression of these threads, and following along with everybody in one place.

Moutaineer, I hope Laddie is right again soon.

Dresseur, the same for you and Miro. I'll be interested to follow your process with the project horse. Soon it will be time for Tesla to enter bootcamp, and I like seeing all the different approaches to it.

I've been riding Kyra for about a month now, and I think we're making good progress. We have a lesson scheduled on Friday (my first since October), which I'm excited about. I'm hoping that my instructor sees improvement from the when she saw us last summer. Some days she is tricky - like today, when another boarder was lunging a horse on the other side of the road, and she determined that they were not in possession of a permit for such activity :lol: She got tight and quick and started gnashing at the bit, so we did some walk lateral work, and I used stirrup stepping (*gasp*) to slow her feet. Then I remembered that riding continuous shallow loops and voltes tends to calm her, so we did that at trot for several minutes until she seemed to relax and then managed a semi-stretchy trot that wasn't rushed and mincing. Overall, she is so much more even in the contact than in the past. Today the right rein felt mostly like a firm handshake, not a fragile thread of spiderweb. On the more relaxed days she is giving really nice W/C and T/C transitions and pretty good simple changes. Next to work on is getting more honest bend in the shoulder in, especially right, where she wants to pop the shoulder.
Keep calm and canter on.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:36 am

demi wrote:MC, I don’t think I met my goals this time, and usually don’t. Maybe we should have a separate thread for progress without goals. I know for me, progress is slooowww. But at least with the weekly lessons, it’s faster than it has been for most of my riding life.

I'd be in :)

I do not like to set goals within a certain time frame for my horse and riding. If we progress, we good. ;) For me it's usually more about what needs work at the moment.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 am

Demi, I am using Equithrive Original Joint (in the powder form; it also comes in pellets). It is basically a glass of red wine for horses :lol: (resveratrol) Of course, Emi has started a hunger strike against supplemented feed (this happens 1-2 times per year, usually when she is cycling or protesting some barn change), so right now she is back to no add-ins. This was after eating it no problem for 7 weeks.

Moutaineer, Emi is also 17 and in quite a bit of work---it is something to sort out for sure and I hope the lameness expert is helpful. It could be something very easy to address with supportive maintenance. You might want to take some video showing what you're feeling before this appointment, though, just in case it is less obvious then.

SF and Susan, Kyra sounds so much like Emi in her reactions and sensitivities. A good mare, but a bit tricky! The biggest accomplishment we've had in the last few years is a more consistent solid, even contact. I try to remember that this is actually a big deal to achieve with the tricky ones! Enjoy your lesson.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:48 pm

Demi and Amity, I'd encourage you to leave progress updates here too. I don't think you have to have concrete goals to participate in this thread. Progress is progress, even if it sometimes goes sideways, backwards and the long way around before it goes forward. And working on what needs to be worked on is just fine.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Dresseur wrote:Demi and Amity, I'd encourage you to leave progress updates here too. I don't think you have to have concrete goals to participate in this thread. Progress is progress, even if it sometimes goes sideways, backwards and the long way around before it goes forward. And working on what needs to be worked on is just fine.

agreed!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:45 pm

MC, I have videos of our various attempts. Rudy is the kind of horse, though, who is all or none, no in-between stuff, perhaps like your old horse. On the rare occasion he's not "clean" it's because he's early behind, which I find easy to feel. Lad was sometimes late behind (rarely) and that I could not feel, only could see on video or hear about from ground person.

Forgot to add in my goal assessment. I exceeded my goal for walking and am now averaging 6.5 days a week, and according to my tracker, mileage averages 1.95 miles at 3.5mph. I know I am getting more fit but I don't think I've lost any weight, and, since I don't know how to "diet" and I'm not motivated enough to count calories, I may have to accept my fluffiness as the new normal. Then again, I could hit the gym! :mrgreen:

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:49 am

My goal was just to try a bit harder with my riding, especially not having regular lessons. I think I achieved that, I just need to maintain it.
I like hearing how everyone is going, specific goals or not.

Moutaineer, hoping laddie is ok. It's a bit of a downer when your horses aren't quite right.
Dresseur, Moose sounds a bit Norsey in that when they are standing around they look a bit average (Norsey took a while to grow into his head... still not sure if he has) but when they get going they look ok. I'm sure Moose will do great with you.

Return to “Dressage Training”