Sitting the trot on the Green Horse: What's Your Take?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Sitting the trot on the Green Horse: What's Your Take?

Postby blob » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:35 pm

I've been talking to some friends about when they introduce the sitting trot on a green horse that isn't young. Obviously with a young horse there is consideration of growth/development. Older green horses might have a fully developed skeleton, but they are still needing to build strength/muscle and balance.

Some of my friends felt it was very important to wait for the horse to really build strength and balance before sitting the trot. Others thought that one of the best ways to build that strength and balance was to sit the trot.

I have approached different horses in both ways. In the past there are some older green horses I've sat the trot on quite early--but particularly ones that liked to get heavy--i found it easier to encourage lightness in front by sitting than posting. But I'm curious to hear what others think.

Admittedly I'm thinking about this now in relation to RP and when to really start sitting more with him. He is sensitive both physically and mentally. It's also an interesting case for me because I'm a small person and most of the green horses I've worked in the past have been large. RP is small, so my weight on him is far more substantial than my weight on a 16hh horse or even a stocky built 15hh horse.

StraightForward

Re: Sitting the trot on the Green Horse: What's Your Take?

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 pm

I try to sit a few strides and see if the horse changes for the worse. If so, then I go back to posting. If the trot quality is maintained, then I would just keep introducing sitting trot in small doses and build up the proportion of sitting to rising.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 pm

When my horses were green, they were too bouncy to do sitting trot comfortably. Mind you I might have been doing it wrong! :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Flight, you are really funny!

FWIW, the guidance I've seen from trainers I trust is to ease into a few steps sitting once the horse is fairly easily able to maintain decent balance in the working trot. And then add from there. Often one does this very naturally to help them prepare for a nice canter depart.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 am

I also have a young(-ish) sensitive horse (see the young horse forum 2013 thread for pics). I completely agree with SF - sit a few strides and see what is the response, build from there, keeping the quality of the trot. For me, the worry has been that sitting would upset him enough to trigger bucking. So my first tries at sitting have been when he is trotting uphill behind his buddy, where I felt I could control any bucks by pushing forward (and it's harder for him to launch on the uphills!). Actually, he was fine and didn't buck. So now in the arena work, I'm trying to sit a few strides and build it up, I think I subscribe to the theory that sitting will help to develop his strength and balance. Good luck with your RP (which I've always read as 'Reactive Pony'.... )

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:13 am

It depends on the rider, if you sit well then I think sitting helps strengthen and balance, you can begin to influence the horse or pony with your core and psoas.

If you bounce (smile) then perhaps wait.

Return to “Dressage Training”