Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

Postby khall » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Yesterday was the start of July and man is it hot and humid here! We are high 90's and supposed to hit 100 tomorrow and the humidity is always present:( but I have a clinic to prep for so I am slogging on.

My goals are to ride/work them at least 4 times a week (all 3), get on Joplin and ride her with Cedar here, get Gaila back in shape for my friend who is moving back without her horse. Keep Joplin going US, keep progressing with Rip.

One big positive this past goals and progress thread is Rip's HPs at the trot are so much nicer now. He has never been that easy to move sideways or laterally, just big muscled horse and not the most elastic, but man he has really changed. I was working HP to LY and HP L to HP R the other day and he felt great. Hope Cedar can see a change. The only issue I am having is he can protest just a bit L rein, change of bend. Nothing horrid, but definitely need to work on it. That rein has always been his bugaboo.

I am extremely pleased with Joplin and her work in hand in the bridle. She has gotten much more settled in the contact. Happy I took the time on the ground to accustom her to bit and bridle.

My other goal is to continue with swimming and pilates weekly on top of my 15,000-20,000 steps per day.

Stay cool and happy riding!!

Chisamba

Re: Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:55 pm

I will join in this time, so i have lots of horses so please bear with me.

Sword head: Xcali, He is very green so basic work, at least three times a week, trot work under saddle and introduce shallow bending and lateral suppleness. he is upside down and stiff and very weak over the loin so i need to be patient in the introduction of muscling. I would like to try and get canter on the longe

Deneb: yes, she is back in work, the quest is to find out what makes her relax into work.

Sunstorm, needs to be more consistent in contact and more willing to start doing small leg yield and shoulder in

Kimba: relaxation, honest connection in laterals work ( aka no leaning on my hand) and better canter, counter canter and flying changes.

Since i am working 50 hours a week at my DSP position, as well as taking care of 18 horses at my barn, i do not really have time for the gym at the moment so the goal is do not gain what I lost and ride into better fitness

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Stating it's hot here is an understatement. This is when most of us scale it back if we remain in the valley. I just got my new piaffe whip so I plan to do more in hand work in this 'dry desert heat'. My goals is to simply maintain where we are, not lose any strength and wait it out until September. We'll probably spend more time on the trail and in hand for this round.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:47 pm

This will be a sweaty one indeed! Goals for next couple months:

MM:
Resolve saddle issue
Work on canter HP (I haven't schooled this much, so not sure what holes/challenges there are)
Improve our canter 10-meter circles (more jump, more sit, more energy)
School changes at unexpected times and places so they are more about my aids and less about her knowing what's coming
poles, poles, poles, cross train, cross train, cross train

RP:
Incorporate hill work and poles
Get a clearer half-halt in the canter
Introduce more sitting trot work
Baby lateral work: LYs and shoulder fore
Figure out the right thing for his stomach issues (lately there are rides where he has moments very inverted and behind the leg and tosses his head. Trainer noticed these moments correspond with when his tail is lifted as if to poop or pass gas. And he'll stay that way until he finally poops and then suddenly fussiness is gone. So, I think it is clear that he is having some stomach discomfort)

Me:
Make the effort to do some kind of exercise/working out on days I'm not able to make it out the barn

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Not exactly sure how things will go over the next two months but:

Annabelle - Hopefully resume under saddle rehab work in mid-July. Cross fingers for soundness!

Tesla - take her off-property somewhere other than the vet. Start more serious groundwork. Maybe climb on sometime in August.

Kyra - I'll probably ramp down to riding her 2-3 days a week once Annabelle is under saddle again, and also play it by ear with Susan's ability to start riding again. Continue working on quality transitions, even contact and bend. Play with different trots, maintaining impulsion.

Me - Now that work travel and vacation is over, exercise off-horse at least 2x a week. Back on the low-carb bandwagon.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 pm

I'll be the peanut gallery for the next couple of weeks, and with luck be able to join in after that :) I certainly hope so--I have Mette coming back in mid-August!

According to my scale, I have actually lost 5lbs. Muffin top is still present, though. I think it's a function of age.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:38 am

So firstly find graded dressage shows in the area, the first one that I can do is in August. All the other shows in the area clash with other things I already have planned. Delilah is going brilliantly, we practised two higher novice tests yesterday and the biggest issues were rider confusion.

Secondly, start saving up for a dressage saddle. I love my Thorowgood GP but I know we'll need a proper dressage saddle for the higher levels. The only thing is finding a saddle for madam is a mission as she has a ridiculous wither on her. Most likely will look at the Thorowgood dressage or upgrade for a Kent and masters. Saddlefitter has also suggested an old style Kieffer but finding one for sale is like finding hen's teeth and when they come up for sale they are snapped up pretty quickly

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:34 pm

I have a kent and masters dressage for sale. 17.5. Original model. LOVELY

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Well...I got the OK from the doctor to get on with life...as pain allows you know. If it feels good, go for it, if it hurts, back off.. :roll:...um of course.
I have had some viral thing that has just smacked me in the face for the last month. Started out with fatigue, low grade intermittent fevers, body aches...got out of that mode and popped a massive cold sore on my lip which tells me my immune system is puny. Got that healed up and felt like I had a bit more energy then I got a nice summer cold. I think the surgery on top of working just has had me worn down. Good news...today is my last day of work (cue fireworks :mrgreen: ). So, I am going to hit the gym again...get in the pool a bunch. Doctor said that would help with the foot swelling and get myself back into living. I feel the last 3 months I have pretty much just been existing. I have literally only had the energy to get up, do a few things around the house, help my Mom a bit and go to work. I feel I will now have some time for ME 8-) .

I hope, as soon as I can get a decent shoe/boot on my mega foot, to get back out to the barn and start a walk program with Kyra. I will take it slow...make that I have to take it slow. It has been nearly 4 years since I have ridden with any intensity due to the laundry list of my maladies. First goal...get back on. Luckily SF has her all tuned up so that will be nice. I will probably just do walk work until fall when the weather cools down although we have thus far had really nice temps for summer. Sorry to all those who are melting. Our turn is probably coming.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Unfortunately Shandy is broken. Hopefully will mend with rest . That's it really for July/August.
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:15 pm

greenholmeshandy wrote:Unfortunately Shandy is broken. Hopefully will mend with rest . That's it really for July/August.

:( what happened? so sorry.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 am

It has been a little cooler than normal here, but it’s Texas so it’s still HOT. We are going to do a lot of walking for the next two months. My trainer even said this is a good time of year for walk work.

I guess I could set riding in the woods as a goal this time. It is shady and the grass doesn’t grow long in the shade so I don’t have to mow so I can see the rattlers. They really are a concern because the area has built up a lot and the wildlife is being forced to the remaining ranch land. We have a varied terrain which includes the rocky areas that rattlers like. Whenever we come across one, my heart races, but the horses never seem to notice.

I plan to get in 5 rides a week. Also get in a couple of videos.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:09 am

Kyra’s mom, YAY! I think you’ll be back in the saddle one of these days.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:28 am

That's great that if you can ride again Kyra's mum!

Greenholmeshandy - what happened?!

It's quite cool here, so while you lot are sweating I'm riding in thermals but I don't mind winter if we get those pretty frosts followed by still blue sky days. It's still pretty droughty here, which is not so good, but upside is the nicer days.

I don't really have any goals other than keep pushing on with Norsey's changes and half steps.
I should try and do a PSG test this year.. I keep putting it off. I don't think we will get any better overall than what we are doing now.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Dealing with heat and extreme humidity here too makes for more walks and less ring work. Demi - I will not complain about the humidity bringing out the biting deer flies in our woods versus your rattlers.

Wishing Shandy and speedy recovery.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Goals are to keep up with lessons, I am taking Yonka to a pole lesson this weekend, weather permitting, and just keep trucking along. I have been riding weekly with my coach and I had an amazing ride last night. I am starting (finally) to correct myself before she corrects me, so that is a huge pat on the back for me. Still have issues with hand position/steadiness, so she told me to treat my hand like hold a tray of wine glasses, she knows how much I love wine... DON'T SPILL THE WINE! It is helping.

Everyone seems to be at either end of the spectrum weather wise - hopefully it all levels out for everyone.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:56 pm

I've done something to make my left hip extra angry. Had to stop my Sunday lesson about 15 mins in because I wasn't working out of it. Was able to ride on Monday but Tuesday I got on, walked a lap in each direction and called it quits. Giving myself a few days off and really hoping it'll do the trick. Pal's been going really well, we've made a lot of progress with the adjustments in my seat and weekly lessons. Provided that I can start riding again soon our goals are mostly going to be don't melt for the next couple of months. Just getting out and moving around during the cooler parts of the day and we can pick back up on more specific goals after the summer heat. I did manage to lose a little bit of weight last month so plan to continue that too.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Awwww get well soon!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:36 am

I guess i can join in, since driving bridles have been hung up for good and saddles pulled back out, even if western for now.

DH had emergency colic surgery in November and planned restorative colic surgery 6 weeks ago so the last 6 months has been...a blur...and I have done no riding. It's working out ok horse wise though.

I had planned for Splash the accidental pinto to go to a WD schooling show last fall, had asked dressage trainer I'd been working with who had been riding him a bit if she would show him (horse is lovely, issues are mine) the first time in case he spooked at judges stand or something. She had a conflict with that show, and the next one. Well shit that's the year then...hang on...I called my BFF the younger, who used to be an eventer and is horseless since her gotten old big event horse passed...and usually up for an adventure.

Me "Hey, do you want to come sit on my spotted horse and if you get on with him, ride him at a Western Dressage show in 3 weeks?"

Her "Sure! What's western dressage?"

So Splash went to his first show and won both his classes, 67 and 68 I think. He was cute, the ribbons were blue, it was a lovely day.

I said to DH, you know, the hat trick would be if she got along with Milagro, who had decided he didn't want to play dressage anymore, western or otherwise. Then eventually I could show Splash and she could show Milagros and we could go have fun together. I knew she and M would be fire and ice or peanut butter and jelly, fortunately it was the latter!

Couple of weeks ago we went to a WD show and she showed Splash two intro tests, 70's in both, then she showed Milagro twice next level up. 65 and 69, the 65 cause he was having some separation issues from Splash and was a bit "bright" and tense. Better in second test. Judge said "elegant horse who shows great promise, esp in the canter" Since canter used to be his weakest gait, that was lovely to read.

It's all working out just lovely, DH is recovering, fully back to work, BFF comes out and rides 2-3 days a week, doesn't cost me anything, once a month Dr Tina Steward comes from Oregon and gives her a lesson. We go to shows, she meets me there (I prefer to be on the road by myself to that's winner winner chicken dinner to me!), we do the show thing, pretty efficiently, we grab a lunch at show, we look at each other, that was fun! When is the next show?!

She's leaving today for 2 weeks family trip, so I'll do the horses next couple of weeks in between working on fire prep/defensible space (it can ALWAYS be better than it is). Then she'll be back and in early August we'll go to next show, both horses moving up a level (Splash gets to canter and Milagro starts lateral work) and one more early Sept and once in early Oct. And that will be a wrap for the year. And so far, it's being fun, and cheap, and easy! 3 words not usually used to describe dressage stuff right?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:15 pm

awesome! that sounds fun! I thought about doing WD but it's hard to find a western saddle for my dude, being short backed.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:26 pm

Ryeissa wrote:awesome! that sounds fun! I thought about doing WD but it's hard to find a western saddle for my dude, being short backed.

Martin Saddlery. It is where mine is from. Fits my short backed Canadians like a glove. :)

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 am

After today's ride, I'm back to basics. If anyone sees my right seatbone, please let me know so I can reclaim it. UGH! I thought the boy was cranky because his feet hurt and he was due for new shoes, but no that's not the primary cause. It's because I'm sitting unevenly right now. Lots and lots of walk work is in my immediate future until I can get my body aligned so the boy will walk straight again. Also, summer is here and the ground is rock hard so he is going to get pour in pads next Friday. If I can keep his feet comfortable, he is a workaholic. Sore feet, bad attitude. Just like us :lol:

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:06 am

I got to ride today (Sat) :mrgreen: .

SF has been riding her so that is nice that she has been going and tuned up although she has been pretty reliable in the last few years (finally ;) ).

We just took a leisurely walk over to and around the trotting track 3-4 laps then back. She felt very good except within the first 10 seconds she suddenly became very lonely and started getting tense and was calling for anyone who would listen (no one cared :lol: ). I simply explained to her that I was not up for such activity and please be good. Of course she listened to me 8-) . I did stop to talk to the barn owner for about 5 minutes and she actually was able to stand still and that relaxed her. SF had a lesson yesterday so after I was reasonably sure she would be (stay) calm, I asked for a good stretch at the walk. She didn't go way low but at least wither level or lower and had kept a nice active stride into the rein. She felt nice under my butt...active and pushing.

On the way over to the track and back (we have to cross a road) we encountered many, many bicycles. Apparently they were having some kind of rally with a check point about a mile from the barn. On the way back, they were two headed (tandem) bikes but she handled it all just fine.

I am back to mounting from the right. I have got some muscles in my right thigh that are lit up...I am sure from overuse and my odd gait in the boot. So, by mounting on the right, I don't have to lift that leg over the horse. Surgical foot is left so that frees up that one to not have to put all my weight on that foot. Kyra is a champ. All that work I did with her before a saddle ever hit her back is paying off in spades. I did ride in my short cam boot. I can actually get my foot in my stirrup although I need to let that side out a hole or two. I find walking on the uneven ground still challenging and an wearing the boot for protection and the fact I have no boots that will fit the mega foot at the moment. I bought a pair of New Balance shoes...2E :roll: ..that work great but I don't want to muck them up at the barn.

I hope to continue to ride 3-4 days per week...it will just be walking for awhile.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:19 am

Ahh, Kyra was probably grateful for the easier day after all the canter work she did yesterday!

We worked on straightening the canter, LY both ways in canter, TOF to W/C transition, and a little on collecting in canter. Plenty of homework for us.

And I hope I don't jinx anything, but Annabelle was looking darn near sound tonight. I might toss the saddle on her tomorrow and start walking her U/S unstead of in hand. Another 10 days or so and she'll get an ultrasound to check on the healing process and get new rehab orders.

Tesla got a short lesson in giving her feet to a rope, cowboy style the other day. She handled it pretty well. Also worked on getting her up to the fence, but really need a flag to work that properly at this stage. I need to get with the BO and get the roundpen fixed up a little to make it safe, so we can get more serious with the groundwork. That will be evenings though, since there are horses turned out just outside during the day, which is kind of distracting. I know the heat is on the way, so we'll be working around that, but I'm hoping to get her backed in 6 weeks or so. We'll see.
Keep calm and canter on.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Ryeissa wrote:awesome! that sounds fun! I thought about doing WD but it's hard to find a western saddle for my dude, being short backed.

Your guy is 1/2 Arab, am I remembering right? There are quite a few western saddles made for Arabians, not hard to find :D

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 pm

Yonka and I did our first solo trip/haul in lesson. We did end up going to the pole class my friend/farrier/former dressage coach puts on weekly.

I wasn't expecting too much from Yonka as we haven't done anything since last year, but he sure blew it out of the water! Really proud of him. I have some homework that I have already chatted with my coach about last night. Hand position is number one.

Yonka and I will continue these weekly sessions as it is closer to home, stress free and affordable.

I will continue to ride with my coach on her lesson horses so that I can work on feel for things to make me a better rider for Yonka. Should be a good summer!

Oh.... the weather we are having is so unpredictable. Yesterday, I drove the truck and trailer through a downpour, we rode through a monsoon (3 inches in 45 minutes)with thunder and lightning, and then drove home on those swampy gravel roads. It did not make my first solo drive all that pleasant lol!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Quelah wrote:

Your guy is 1/2 Arab, am I remembering right? There are quite a few western saddles made for Arabians, not hard to find :D

yeah, but just because he is an arab doesn't mean he will fit an arab tree....

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:01 pm

I own one that would work -- fits my teeny Polish Arab/QH perfectly. Look for a "ranch" saddle.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:23 am

This weekend was hot but we managed to get some quality work in despite the heat. We did a lot of transitions within the gait and counter canter which is developing nicely. Junior finally realizes that when I ask him to go in the canter the strides are to get bigger, loftier as opposed to quicker. I also have been doing more work in hand focusing on half steps which he seems to be understanding better now as well. So quality not quantity is the main focus in this heat. I use to focus so much on campaigning my horses and advertising the breed that I forgot how enjoyable just working with one and taking our time, no stress or tension with deadlines, can really be.

He's such a smart little sh!t too. This evening while sitting out on our back patio we watched as he worked hard to figured out how to release the latch that keeps the gate closed that is between my arena and our backyard. He was wanting to come up to the patio where we were. He didn't succeed but I know someday he will. Not too unlike one of mine from an earlier generation (who he's related to) that managed to open his stall at a dressage show and then went down the barn aisle letting everyone out. I got a call at dinner telling me to hurry back to help contain the escapees. I came back to find him grazing with three of his barn mates out along the show arena. Some things run true with genetics LOL.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 am

Our plan for the last few weeks have been to find our counter canter again. And it has mostly come back, yay! For the next few weeks we want to really push his body around in the canter, lateral work all ways, so that he is more accepting of my legs in the canter.

Over the last month or so our transitions have mostly become sharper and better, but the walk/canter has regressed. He hops up with his shoulders and hovers for half a second, and he doesn't really push forward with the back end. So after that hovery step it takes a great effort from me to actually maintain a canter. This is a new problem for us, and by myself I didn't really know what to do. So today my dressage instructor had me gallop him. That didn't work - he gallops enthusiastically, but it did nothing for the actual transition. So then we tried canter/halt/rb/canter, and after a few ugly sequences it started coming together. So I think we'll have to do this homework for a while until we have an established upward transition again.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Let's see...
Rudy, just keep upping the ante on gaits and training. Enjoy our beautiful countryside as well, when weather permits. Oh, and maybe play around with bridleless riding just for the fun of it.

Tio: Also enjoy the countryside with him AND take him to small events like easy clinic, the occasional "lesson" and maybe a group trail ride or two. In the arena, work to get his canter was before I came off and progress from there. Get my jumping mojo back. Totally illogical, but even though my fall had nothing to do with jumping, I'm still nervous about actually jumping him again. Stupid.

Me: Keep up the walking every morning, but add in an evening walk whenever I can, with the goal of at least 1 mile 3x's a week in the evenings. I also need to eat less so I can lose 20 pounds, but at least I'm much more fit than I was this winter when I was afraid of the ice. :P

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Okie dokie... I've told a few people this, but this is a "me" update, not horse. (Horses are all doing well.)

I got the MRI done and a hip specialist looked everything over. So, the good news - adductor muscles seem to be in order - all is healing/healed there. So, why so much pain? I have a labral tear, hip impingement, and bursitis from all the inflammation. So, according to the specialist - labral tears and hip impingement often masquerade as groin injuries - which is why I have continuing to have pain after the initial injury was healing. They don't have all the answers as to how bad the labral tear is - they would need to do an MRA for that - so as of right now... I'm on a high dose of prednisone and a very high dose of ibuprofen which is making me feel like I've had 30 cups of coffee on 2 hours of sleep. I have a hip injection scheduled in a few weeks, and tomorrow I have an appt with a new PT guy (well, I actually worked with him before - and I would have gone to him first had I known that he had started his own practice.) After that, if pain is not controlled, I'm looking at an MRA and most likely arthroscopic surgery - although they are trying to avoid that. If still no answers, I have the contact of a place in Philly that specifically deals with hip and core issues - so at least I feel like there is a plan even if I don't have 100% of the answers.

One thing they are also doing is testing me for RA markers and Lymes because the specialist feels that I have way too much inflammation for someone my age (2 frozen shoulders, 2 impinged hips etc). So, I'm waiting for that - I also need to get my thyroid retested to make sure that's under control... but I need to wait until the pred dose is over before doing that.

In any case, as the pain meds are reducing inflammation and localizing pain - I can clearly feel know what is setting off the pain, and where the pain is... so I feel like as long as PT can help me, I'll be back on a horse in the next month or two in SOME capacity.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 pm

Sometimes just getting a Dx and having a plan is half the battle! It sounds like you have things well in hand. I’m thinking healing thoughts at you!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:21 pm

Fingers crossed for you, Dressuer! I imagine just having a more solid game plan is a huge relief.

I'm feeling very frazzled about managing my schedule these days. And admittedly I'm having trouble juggling both horses. It seems that between the two one ends up a bit on the back-burner. So, I'm adding the personal goal of making sure I even rides out between the two, particularly when I only have time to ride one day on weekdays.

MM's canter work has been feeling really strong lately. I've started working more on canter HP. I need to get video or work on it with my instructor during our next lesson, as I'm not sure I'm getting enough bend for the path that I'm riding. Our long awaited saddle comes tomorrow, so fingers crossed for it.

I entered RP in his first recognized show for the end of the month. I'm not sure he'll be ready if we're still dealing with gas issues, but hopefully I can resolve that quickly. We'll be riding training 2 and 3, one of which will be the national pony cup class. Hopefully we have a productive few weeks.

I'm debating whether to also take MM. My instructor really wants me to, since I only need one more score for my bronze. But I my confidence in my third level work is very, very low at the moment. And so, I'm not sure I will be set up for success. Even our biggest hurdle is a mental/emotional one, that's still a real hurdle. If I don't take MM to this show, I'll be looking at october at the earliest, but perhaps given my low confidence that is ok.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Nice to read the updates and plans.

Dresseur, do get a research hospital involved in assessing your care if you are not already there. This can be really helpful with weird cases.

Speaking of which, I'm super sick with a flare from my rare rheumatoid disease (not RA). And it's incredibly hot, so I wouldn't be doing much now even if I were fine.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks all. I feel like there's a way forward, and the new PT guy told me that he was not going to waste my time. He said that if I don't see improvement in short order, that he will facilitate getting me into the Vincera Institute - they specialize in hip/core injuries for athletes.

He feels that we need to concentrate on the hip adductor injury, which is improving, but still testing positive. I can't ride with that...I can ride with the other BS going on. He also told me that I'd be doing functional exercises, designed to get balance and proprioception back. (I've lost a lot of that with all the rest) He feels strongly that right now, everything is so tight, that the static, table exercises that the other place had be doing was basically sending everything into spasm. I have hyper-mobile joints, so he said that some tightness is ok and actually protects the joints - but with the inflammation and everything else that everything is just in lock down. I felt great coming out of the eval and first soft tissue work. Things are now tightening... but that's to be expected. He thinks that the tear is possibly a non-surgical fix because I wasn't being shot off the table with some of the tests, but he said we'll see and he won't waste my time. The verdict is going out, so, we'll see....

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Happy you are moving forward Dresseur. I'm hoping you don't have RA or Lymes, I have RA and it's definitely a change in lifestyle, but still riding, Heck, it's half the reason I finally bought a horse. Wishing you the best moving forward, will keep an out for updates.

I had a tough clinic on Sunday the 7th. We had 2 of the last 4 weeks off and 2 weeks in a new saddle which is making him sore. To top that off I came off on a trail ride when the 3 horses in the front trotted off in a field and he freaked. So I was not on top of my game and reactive. The word for the day was relaxation. But I came to realize relaxation to them means something different to me. Since my horse wasn't freaking at anything, he was relaxed. I literally meant his head relaxed and throatlatch open and swinging over his back and me relaxed in my connection (but still connected) and not restricting him or causing tension. That wasn't the best I've seen, in fact this was our worst clinic. Then again, maybe the one I've learned the most from so far. No one died or came off, so there is that. :lol:

The pictures DH took were frustrating to look at and I can critique each one but the video wasn't that bad. I'm thinking he's not moving as well due to the saddle. And my hands being too restrictive as I'm not trusting him as much at the moment. He's so athletic it can be scary.

But as always a good learning experience, and taking him somewhere is an invaluable experience, and having a plan to move forward is good. We need to keep the right shoulder up, I need to give on the outside rein to allow him to fill it and really move over his back, and we simply need to build strength. Patience padawan!! The canter transition to the left is so much better. The one to the right I can get maybe 20% of the time so we may just trot for a while and build strength. He dives down so badly into his right shoulder that it's impossible to get if I'm really not on my game. And not being a trainer/professional, I'm not always on my game.
Attachments
_DSC2862 (1) - Edited.jpg
So similar to last time it cracks me up
_DSC2862 (1) - Edited.jpg (182.15 KiB) Viewed 25316 times
_DSC3045 - Edited.jpg
Awkward left lead canter moment (for both of us) but it's coming along. Mental note, wear a different shirt next time for photos.
_DSC3045 - Edited.jpg (157.09 KiB) Viewed 25316 times
_DSC3041 - Edited.jpg
We can canter!
_DSC3041 - Edited.jpg (121.27 KiB) Viewed 25316 times

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Dresseur hope you can get some answers and some healing.
Quelah one of my WBs was shown last year WD. I think she would do well WD except I don't like riding in Western saddles! (or have yet to find one I feel is comfortable) I had sent her to a WD trainer who did the showing, over 80% at intro level. My mare Gaila looks awesome in Western tack:) Sounds like you and your friend are having a blast, good for you!
chantal it can be so hard when we are in the mix of things riding a young horse to see the progress. I know the feeling well. It does take time and consistent work but before long you will look back and see how far you have come with your guy. We have to build the foundation and that takes the longest. Then start putting the pieces together for the big picture. Mark (my long time instructor that we lost in 2016 to a riding accident) talked about it as stringing the pearls together.

I'm sweating lots these days. Dew points in the 70's with temps in the 90's and it has been horrid to even do chores. I am still working horses daily trying to get ready for the clinic this weekend.

Joplin is ready to get back on, Rip is stronger than ever and working well, Gaila is on a workout regime for weight loss (I am too!) and to get her back into the swing of working for a living.

Edited to add, purchased plane tickets for Portugal. We leave 9-1!

Swimming and pilates have entered my life regularly now. A group of us horse ladies are taking pilates together, we got an A+ from the trainer yesterday:) She says it is a pleasure to work with us and how quick we pick stuff up. Of course we do, LOL! We've all been students of physical work for years riding horses. My sister and I are thoroughly enjoying our swim time. I pulled off 500 yards Sunday with aim eventually for a mile swim. (1700 yards) May try a barre class next week. Looks pretty challenging! Great instructor who is a bit of a drill sergeant but in a fun way. Very supportive and knowledgeable.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:33 pm

-Chantal, I think your photos are solid evidence that you are going through the process of young horse riding/development! Congratulations, especially given working with health impacts. Be safe and patient...hard I know. I agree that you will be amazed by the difference in a year.
-Khall, so much going on! Your trip and exercise buddy adventures sound awesome too. I'l be curious what you think of barre...
-Dresseur, I'm glad you are getting good inputs. Fingers crossed.
-Blob, it sounds like MM is working very well! Maybe your busy schedule actually works or her? (fewer work days). It is so miserable now in the south that it seems entirely reasonable to wait until October for the next show....but dealing with the confidence bug seems worth addressing earlier.
-Exvet, if you look back on your posts, you will see what a great distance you have come with Junior. Pretty darn inspiring. I think you know this, but it is a nice activity in the heat of a SW summer!

I look forward to ride reports from all!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Hot and humid here in no. Illinois. At the end of Saturday's lesson I almost vomited, so no major riding until it cools down. Sunday, from somewhere in the dark vault of "dressage stuff I learned 20 years ago" I remembered using the upper leg for down transitions. I looked up an article from Dressage Today on the upper leg and read that it also controls the shoulders. Left upper leg moves left shoulder. Light bulb moment. Last night I discussed this with the official dressage trainer at the barn (I don't lesson with him though. I don't want to switch trainers mid-stream and I love my current trainer). Saddled up the red head and worked mainly at the walk and a little trot. She likes to bulge to the outside when going right cuz of the magnetic pull of the door. I used my left thigh and presto. It worked. Not perfect, but better straightness. At the trot, my upper leg was more of "downward transition" aid so I need to work on the strength of that aid.

My girl is so freaking smart.....

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Thank you for the kind words khali and piedmontfields. The pics are interesting, not fanatastic and I can pick them apart. But better than many from that day. Ugh. It was really frustrating because he was such a different horse than in the clinic a month ago. I think the clinician was wondering what the heck happened... or not. She's getting to know me so maybe she knew we were off. And he is so young. Slow and steady. Last August I was already looking forward to where we would be in a year. We are much better off after a rough start back then. Though some of those behaviors are coming back out right now.

After a day off and then a light hack (just a walk in the fields) in the jumping saddle yesterday he was still too sore to ride in my lesson today. We did a little bit but it was not good. He's never acted this way, meaning how he's been the past 1 1/2 weeks or so. He is always willing to work and to come up in his withers and back and he is a grumpy frustrated boy right now, in so many ways. :(

So back to my 28 yo Niedersuss. He at least can move in that one, and it's not too wide for me to drop my leg where it should be consistently.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:21 pm

My first time jumping in on one of these threads I think, since I'm actually spending decent time in the saddle now. It's been hot and insanely humid here lately, but I'm doing my best to keep on. I've been riding in clinics with Alyssa Doverspike every couple months when she's been here, and she's been a huge help.

My goals for the next two months with Phoenix:
Ride at least 4x a week, 5 is better.
Continue to work on a better connection in the bridle, and balance in the canter.
Continue introducing lateral work.
Clinic with Alyssa first weekend in August.
Take lessons 1x per week if possible.
Ride outside more to start conditioning her to new environments so we have half a hope of showing next year.

For myself, Audit the David Wightman clinic this weekend, and again when he is here in August.
Work on my own ability to keep leg on.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Well I just got more homework after my lesson today. We're planning on showing second level in the fall per my instructor. With a wee bit shorter rein, good connection and better understanding of what I want when I give subtle aids with my hands/acceptance of the bit and more suppleness in the jaw we had a second level horse in frame and mind. We got not just walk to canter transitions with a raising through the withers but some awesome (instructor gave them 8s - she's a judge) canter to walk transitions for the very first time trying. Junior is finally able to understand, without getting tense or shortening his neck, how to collect in the canter, sit and walk. Basically he is really becoming better at handling and balancing his momentum. So the homework will be continuing to work on transitions within all 3 gaits (we worked on more collected walk today too) but with more of the focus on keeping the energy going forward and up with lengthening of his top line and proper flexion at the poll. No barreling through the shoulders, no poking the nose out, and staying raised through the withers. The over all goal will be building the proper strength and never sacrificing the quality of the gait. It is so hot today (supposed to be 110) that with all the good answers that Junior gave with my requests, we decided to end the lesson a little early.

Piedmontfields - thank you for pointing out our progress. I am very, very pleased with Junior. My instructor and her assistant trainer were both commenting on how pleasantly surprised they are with how far he's come while watching his lesson today. I was really hit hard when I had to sell his full sister who I desperately wanted to keep; but, this guy is proving to be as much if not more than what I had hoped for out of the cross - cooperative, mentally stable, sporty and fun.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 pm

It's going well, Kimba's consistency is improving as I focus on it.

Deneb is relaxing into work but has a long way to go

Excalibur is up to 10 minutes of trotwork in a giraffe frame

Sunstorm is rarely missing leads and truly seems to realize barrel racing is no longer.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 pm

Dang exvet you will be introducing FCs before you know it! Good job Junior!!

Stay safe with Deneb Chisamba, she is a lovely mover so I understand your wanting to bring her back into work, I hope she keeps her brain about her better.

Eh ride today, hot as hades and Rip said why are we out here? Was not horrid but not nearly as good as he can go other than R canter HP was really good, L I need to keep his L shoulder up better. Was nice to feel him really move sideways in the canter when I asked, that has been hard for him so a highlight of our Eh ride.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:03 pm

I had a lesson last night and while it wasn't horrible, it could have been much better. Phoenix decided she had no idea what the right leg was for and continually blew threw my aids. Couldn't trot a circle to the left without her bulging out and trying to run into the fence and would NOT get off the right leg. Ended up having the trainer get on her because I was getting tired.
So funny how the young ones are, our rides last week were amazing.
We'll see how tonight goes, I'm planning on lunging first this time to get her more forward in the canter, then lateral work to get her listening more to my leg before anything else.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:15 pm

I don't post much but love following along so I thought I'd dip my toes in this cycle. The details: 4 year old KWPN mare named Kora with some serious ears :lol: She was backed last year then had the winter off to grow. She's been back under saddle since late spring and we went through a whole lot of young horse hot mess that I only feel like now we're finally in a place of positive progression. It might be share worthy now.

Our goals are simple as my trainer says, 'Crayons'. Trying to build on good experiences, get out in the fields for hacking once 1st cut is done, walk/trot/canter obediently and confidently and loads of field trips.

What we were up to over the winter playing with some Tristan Tucker ideas.
Tarp play.jpg
Tarp play.jpg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 25063 times

We made it out to a dressage show for a pony ride around.
Showtime.jpg
Showtime.jpg (194.25 KiB) Viewed 25063 times

Working at home.
Trot Sun.JPG
Trot Sun.JPG (161.51 KiB) Viewed 25063 times

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:25 pm

PheonixRising, yes, the young ones are challenging. But certainly boring. :lol: But sometimes we learn more from those tough lessons than the ones we think are really "good".

exvet-sounds like you guys are doing really well. Yay Junior, and exvet! Your hard work is showing. Are you still riding in your KN saddles? I'm back to ground zero with saddles and staying in my 28 yo Symphonie for now even though it makes his lumbar sore. Lesser of all the evils... I'm tempted to order a new one on trial.

Aleuronx-nice 4 yo, you must be pleased. And it sounds like you are doing so many good things with her. I'm doing that with my guy too, i need to remember to keep it chill with him. Crayons, ha! They take so long to mature but we get glimpses of it and forget.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Aleuronix, your trainers "crayons" analogy made me smile. I think we can sometimes get tempted into expecting advanced calligraphy from talented babies. She looks lovely--I'm a sucker for horses with big ears :)

Everyone looks like they are working away and making progress! Dresseur, I do hope your PT can get you happy without surgery. A good PT is worth their weight in gold--I think the one my DH has been seeing has actually helped him dodge shoulder surgery.

So, the vet came to see Mr. Laddie this morning, and watching him on the longe, the first word out of his mouth was "hocks." And the x-rays showed some narrowing. So he's had upper and lower joints on both sides injected.

He gets another 2 days off and then back to work. Interesting how protocols have changed. it used to be 7 days off, stall rest and handwalking. Now, it's turn him out as soon as he's not too woozy to stay upright and get back on him in 2 days.

He felt that the stifle looked and felt really good and the front feet looked really good and to leave them with the shoeing protocol they currently have. So that was a great relief.

I dread to think how much this little exercise cost. I didn't ask, didn't seem much point really as it had to be done, but like Xan, if it gives me my happy forward horse back, it'll be worth every penny. I guess that's my 30th wedding anniversary gift.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Chantal - No, I sold all 3 of my KNs to a good friend, another welsh cob breeder. I have two Albion SLKs. One was fitted for my stallion and it fits Junior to a "T" as well. My expectation is that I will have to get it reflocked/fitted to Junior in another year because I see his back already beginning to change. Now that he's discovered lift through the withers and is building muscle in front of his withers, I am sure I will have to either widen this one if possible or buy a 'new to me' one. Both the Albion SLK and KN fit me well but I had to go Albion for Junior because of his shorter back.

Return to “Dressage Training”