Half pass zig zags

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Half pass zig zags

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:41 am

Can anyone walk me through how you do the change of bend. For example half pass right K to X then half pass left X to H.

I can get it done, but I seem to take too long to get the new change of bend and position for the second half pass.
Is there a certain method to it, or it something that just comes easier with practice/skill?

Chisamba

Re: Half pass zig zags

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:09 am

Arrive at x straight on the centerline, bend as if to shoulder in, by bringing the shoulder across the diagonal and holding the hind to the centerline with legs, then half pass in new direction really thinking keep the neck soft and move the haunches laterally .

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Although it's written as you say-- half pass to letter, half pass away from letter-- it looks more polished and rides easier if you "land" the first half pass a stride or two ahead of the letter, straighten, and embark on the next half pass. So in your example, I'd ride it like this:

K to centerline ahead of X: half pass left
Centerline ahead of X to X: 1 stride straight, 1 stride shoulder fore R
X to H: half pass right

There's nothing that stops you at home from taking more time in the transition between the two half passes to establish the "new" bend before you depart in the 2nd half pass. Reduce the number of transition steps gradually until you get the feeling that you can half pass in any direction at any time.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm going to echo what Chisamba wrote. I was taught to arrive straight and a touch early on centerline (or quarterline or where ever) Ask for shoulder in, point the ears to the letter and go. Andrea had me school it from quarterline to the wall and back again first so that I could more easily control the hp and the bend and then she had me go from centerline to the wall and back again to feel a steeper angle before doing the full pattern. The wall gave me a reference point so that I could more easily see/feel the shoulder in.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:44 pm

Thanks everyone. I think I fiddle around too long straightening once I get there and then getting the new shoulder in, so it leaves the second half pass with less room and a lot steeper as I've gone way past X!
I will practice that, and yes use the wall to help me.
thanks so much :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:52 am

Horses usually take a bigger stride in one direction of half pass and a smaller in the other, know which I'd your horses "steeper" direction and cheat a little before or after x in that direction to give your shallower half pass more room

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:53 am

Of course as you improve thexweaker one to get it all symmetrical

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:29 pm

I was taught to go from HP to travers which really straightens them & sets them up for the new line in the opposite HP. Then establish the new bend (almost a renvers to SI feel) and off you go. Once polished, it happens over 2-3 strides and results in a very polished look.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:44 pm

IMO that's a good recipe for haunches leading in the new direction. That being said, I do bring the haunches up to straighten, but never past the shoulders in travers position. And if you're going from renver to SI on the same bend - you're actually kicking the hind out as opposed to it driving over from the outside hind. But, I may be misunderstanding what you are are describing...

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:53 pm

I always think of starting to straighten and then get the new bend through the leg, getting the horse on the new outside rein, a stride or so before the change.

I agree with Dresseur that if you think haunches in in the new direction you will end up leading with them, which is very easy to do. The hardest thing is to correctly get the horse on the new outside rein and straight enough. To be "perfect," technically the change should be straight.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:33 am

Tanga wrote:I always think of starting to straighten and then get the new bend through the leg, getting the horse on the new outside rein, a stride or so before the change.

I agree with Dresseur that if you think haunches in in the new direction you will end up leading with them, which is very easy to do. The hardest thing is to correctly get the horse on the new outside rein and straight enough. To be "perfect," technically the change should be straight.

agreed, that is why i do a half step of shoulder in to start. I find the shoulder in superior in getting the horse into the new outside rein, but you are really right, get the change of bend through the leg into the new outside rein.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:14 pm

Dresseur wrote:IMO that's a good recipe for haunches leading in the new direction. That being said, I do bring the haunches up to straighten, but never past the shoulders in travers position. And if you're going from renver to SI on the same bend - you're actually kicking the hind out as opposed to it driving over from the outside hind. But, I may be misunderstanding what you are are describing...

It's hard to explain in text. There's no way the haunches could lead when it's done this way. It works very well.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Return to “Dressage Training”