Cool down and keep going! September/October Goals and Progress.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Cool down and keep going! September/October Goals and Progress.

Postby exvet » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:30 pm

I have had the same farrier for 15 years. I've been lucky because he's good and he was willing to learn when I had a horse with white line disease. It helps being a vet and it helps even more when your farrier respects your opinion and is adaptable. He has often asked me why my horses have such great feet. He comments on the fact that horse after horse that I've presented him has always had good, solid feet that are well conditioned no matter the age or workload. I told him the two things I feel make the difference he's noted has been - genetics and management.

I also know a balanced foot when I see it and typically know how to get it there if it's not balanced - I just don't want to be the one with the rasp or nippers in my hand. The key for me is I want to start with a healthy balanced foot so I don't breed for anything else nor will I buy anything else. That isn't to say I haven't acquired horses with feet in bad shape that I had to get back to 'normal' but I knew what was 'repairable' and what is/was a money pit.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:50 pm

The shoeing issue is interesting to me. Mikey is barefoot for now. He's never been shod and doesn't need them at this point. But I will do what he needs. He's my first with no shoes, so... watch and see.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:28 pm

I’m not a purist either way shoes or no. I think we have to listen to the individual horse and what they need. Kora is doing fine barefoot for now and heck it’s saving me some cash so I’m not complaining! She got shod in the front last year for her inspection as breeder was worried about her showing off better with them. She only had them on for the one cycle and I couldn’t feel a difference.

This week has been a typical reminder that young horses are nonlinear learners. Wednesday I rode and attempted some of the transitions from Training 1 just seeing if I could do the ‘movement’ within the space allowed in the test. The answer to that was emphatic no! Just not enough time to get her balanced and re-organized.

We head out to our Regionals competition this upcoming week and I had signed up for Training 1 as it was cheaper to do that than the noncompete fee. (Yes, I know it doesn’t make sense to me either) And if she’s feeling confident and good there then why not sign up for test to give it a spin?

Anyway she felt phenomenal Friday/Saturday, just completely honest and spot on to the aids. I laughed to myself and gave the test elements another go on Saturday and wouldn’t you know we managed to run through the whole dang test! And pretty respectably!!

Feeling better that it could be a option but I’ll be listening to her as to our plan of action. Excited for my horse show vacation to educate her and cheer on friends!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:55 am

Ooh. Now that I feel more comfortable talking on the other threads, I found a reason to jump in here and share a little. Shoeing! I don't. I think people need to do what they need, but since my farrier made me learn how to shoe, and then the first horse I bred I left barefoot and got to GP no issue (before she tragically died) I have had all of my horses barefoot. I am in CA, so it's usually muddy in the "winter" and rock hard in the non rainy months, from May to Dec. My horses are in "pasture," maybe a large turn out for most people? I use the amazing hills and trails here all of the time, and they are not groomed--rocky, uneven, hard in the summer, and slippery and wet and deep in the winter.

All three of mine now are barefoot. Mom is 21 and still doing the FEI work and sounder then when I got her. Daughters are 9 and 11 and have been barefoot their whole lives and rarely take a lame step. I don't agree at all when people say they need shows for dressage. Mom can p/p up the whazoo, does super pirouettes and half passes and does not need shoes. Both daughters are competing FEI (champs next week!!!!!!) and have no issues doing any of the easy or hard work without shoes.

I do them myself. I have nippers, and when they are rock hard like now, I use a battery operated hand drill and a sandpaper disc. :) I follow some barefoot groups on Facebook to learn and get advice. Let's see if I can post a picture I took of them. I guess not. I'm trying to add pictures through attachments below and it keeps saying "file too large."

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:16 am

Shoeing is horse-dependent for me. Current two mares have fabulous feet -- no shoes. Last mare needed the structural support as she got older when we were still eventing -- she got shoes. Gelding's feet were like egg shells -- he got shoes and pads, plus frequent applications of putty, to hold it all together.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:23 am

I put shoes on if they needs shoes, and don't put shoes on if they do not.

Simple as that. What are my criteria? Comfort level on the surfaces and at the work required.

The cooler weather has increased the playfulness of almost everyone I ride. It does add a component of risk to an otherwise normal day, lol. I raked the indoor and left a turectrack near the door. One if my client horses I was riding seems to have mistaken it for a python, keeping in the air, coming down striking then taking off bucking. I did immediately suggest less reactive behavior .

Kimba is a fairly steady lady. She can be playful too, but generally in a fairly easy way. I cant decide if I want to try another show, to see if the objective eye, aka judge, scores her differently after the summers work.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:47 am

I'm with Chisamba on shoes. Some need them, some do not. Laddie needs them. Makes a big difference to how he moves.

It's been a lovely weekend here--sunny and pleasantly warm. Good rides both days on Laddie, chipping away at strengthening that right hind.

I've also been riding Walker--I found a saddle that works for him and we've been puttering around on the trails, which is good for his brain and body, and I have to say, it still makes me so happy to be able to groom and tack up with him tied to the front of my garage and head off down my driveway and out into nowhere. I've missed most of the summer of riding him for one reason or another, so I'm trying to make the most of it now--there won't be many more summers. He's getting old and we won't be up here forever.

Barn drama has hit a high note. let's just say there's a Sherriff's Deputy parked in the barn driveway overnight... God save us from psycho boarders.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 am

Moutaineer wrote:I'm with Chisamba on shoes. Some need them, some do not. Laddie needs them. Makes a big difference to how he moves.

It's been a lovely weekend here--sunny and pleasantly warm. Good rides both days on Laddie, chipping away at strengthening that right hind.

I've also been riding Walker--I found a saddle that works for him and we've been puttering around on the trails, which is good for his brain and body, and I have to say, it still makes me so happy to be able to groom and tack up with him tied to the front of my garage and head off down my driveway and out into nowhere. I've missed most of the summer of riding him for one reason or another, so I'm trying to make the most of it now--there won't be many more summers. He's getting old and we won't be up here forever.

Barn drama has hit a high note. let's just say there's a Sherriff's Deputy parked in the barn driveway overnight... God save us from psycho boarders.

oh dear! hope all is ok. are you going to be able to stay?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 pm

As intense heat continues here in the mid-south (again today high is in the mid 90s F), I am surprised to report that my horse is really comfortable in this weather. She really is a Florida girl :-)

I've been doing a lot of work outside the arena (as it is too sunny and dry in the outdoor for my liking), typically starting with a 2 mile walking hack. Then we do another 2 mile aerobic loop mostly in trot with a little canter. *Then* miss mare is ready for some "real" dressage work. After 15-20 minutes of this, we are both content and ready to walk a mile+ home. I'm impressed with her happy attitude! Thank goodness for horses that sweat well. Her feet are also rock hard in these types of hot and dry conditions.

Although my horse is barefoot, I'm not religious about it. That said, I never understood the argument that hind shoes help with slipping. Can someone explain?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:59 pm

Rye, yes, things should be a lot more rational and civilized once this is over... unless our landlady finally gets ticked off with us and throws us all out...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Rye, yes, things should be a lot more rational and civilized once this is over... unless our landlady finally gets ticked off with us and throws us all out...

best wishes!
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:43 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
That said, I never understood the argument that hind shoes help with slipping. Can someone explain?

I think that shoes can help with traction on some surfaces, are neutral on some, and can cause more slipping on others.

If it's possible to keep the surface the same, such as in an arena, it should be fairly easy to figure out if a horse would benefit from shoes--except for the fact that it's so hard to make the evaluation "blind". And if we know the horse now has shoes, and the changes are subtle, it's not always easy to determine whether there really was an improvement or if we expected an improvement so perceived that there was one.

And then, even if shoes do solve a problem, there's still the question whether they're a good idea if one of our goals is long term soundness.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Tanga wrote: I'm trying to add pictures through attachments below and it keeps saying "file too large."

You have to resize them in a photo editing program (less than 200KB, if I'm remembering correctly). I checked the faq's and couldn't find that info, but maybe you'll have better luck? I think I also remember someone saying they found it easiest to post the pic on facebook where it was automatically resized and then upload it here, but I've never done that so don't know how/if it works.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:29 pm

kande50 wrote:
Tanga wrote: I'm trying to add pictures through attachments below and it keeps saying "file too large."

You have to resize them in a photo editing program (less than 200KB, if I'm remembering correctly). I checked the faq's and couldn't find that info, but maybe you'll have better luck? I think I also remember someone saying they found it easiest to post the pic on facebook where it was automatically resized and then upload it here, but I've never done that so don't know how/if it works.

Thanks. I tried resizing, but it wasn't enough. I don't have time to fiddle tight now. I never heard the FB thing.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 pm

I use an app called " resize photo" lol

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 am

kande50 wrote:urface the same, such as in an arena, it should be fairly easy to figure out if a horse would benefit from shoes--except for the fact that it's so hard to make the evaluation "blind".

Given that the only time I think we need shoes are when it's bone dry and rocky, I'd say, we have a somewhat different POV. I can't imagine suddenly having an extended trot in the arena because she is shod all around! :lol:

p.s. The reason that my horse "lost" her front shoes is that one day she attached a front hoof to "no climb" fencing. I found her after she had been waiting for ? long. After releasing her from the fence, I concluded: Miss Mare does not need shoes!! Now that she is at a facility without wire but with tall board fencing + hot wire and neighboring geldings, I still think: Miss Mare does not need shoes!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:27 am

Well Kimba was feeling bossy and playful today, but it didnt negatevput progress, today ead mostly trot day, so tomorrow wer canter and work on changes again.

The sword head is maintaining canter for a whole circle on the longe. Lol. Its quite okay, I only just introduced it . He has quite the character and is also a touch more sassy now that he is in condition.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:47 am

Meanwhile in remedial land - Annabelle trotted 3 circuits of the small indoor under saddle, and Tesla is getting the idea of long-lining, though she does not believe in trotting to the right. We're with you, Chisamba, on being challenged to canter a circle. She can do it, but she is turning out to be an energy conservationist, so doesn't want to do the more challenging direction. Kicking at the whip seems to be more appealing than just going forward at times.
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:14 am

piedmontfields wrote: I can't imagine suddenly having an extended trot in the arena because she is shod all around! :lol:

Me either, but have been told that the reason dressage horses who aren't ridden out of the sandbox "need" shoes is for added traction.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:12 pm

I actually believe they put heavy shoes on for lift , not traction and no one here, but the shoes some if the top horses wear are mind boggling.
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:22 pm

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:32 pm

My horses have very good and tough feet. That being said I shoe everyone who is under saddle in front shoes at the very least because the terrain and soil here is extremely tough/rough on their feet and I wish to keep my horses sound. I can easily ride 10-15 miles in a day on very tough terrain. My farrier always knows immediately if I've not been able to get the horses out as much as usual. The wear on the shoes from trim to trim (8 weeks) prevents resets usually. Traction and balance are the reasons for shoeing all the way around for horses that have no other corrective needs and are playing in the sand box, at least in my experience. No one has to agree with me and I'm not looking for a debate. In fact I'm not going to debate it. This has worked for me and mine for the 20+ years I've lived here. When we were doing competitive trail (my son was regional champ in his junior years) those horses who participated which included my dressage horses (because rules required he have an adult buddy rider) also were kept shod all the way around. Traction as well as wear was the need - not just tough but also very slippery terrain. Some of the skill sets tested were how well you rode inclines and on a variety of surface substrates.

I come from a family and time that actually had true work horses. Shoes with kegs, borium, etc were needed for similar reasons - different terrain and different physical activity but a reason with answers that worked by using appropriate shoeing methods.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:22 pm

The discussion on shoes is very interesting to me. I also tend to fall in the category of 'give the horse what it needs to do the job you're asking'. But I . haven't really had to think about that on a performance level until recently.

Meaning, in the past I've had horses with problematic feet, so shoes just to keep hooves from falling apart was necessary. Currently, both of mine are barefoot. With RP i wanted his feet to have a chance to sort themselves out after I got him with proper nutrition and regular trims. What I will decide once he's fully on track, I'm not sure yet. With MM--her feet are tough and farriers tend to gush over them. But I have wondered if shoes would make the job I'm asking of her easier on her. I'm not sure, it's hard to really know unless I try. But this discussion is very, very useful and interesting for me. I do worry that starting shoes will bring another slew of problems--it's wet out here and a lot of the shod horses have trouble keeping shoes on. MM also has fast growing feet, so I'm not sure shoes would survive the 5 week schedule she's on and the current farrier wouldn't be able to do a shorter cycle. My trainer thinks shoes would be beneficial in helping her carry weight behind. But he's also of the mind that if you're putting something in full training, you should be shoeing it.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:32 pm

You bring up an issue Blob that I want to expound upon with respect to my OBSERVATION. Here I do not have issues with horses getting their feet wet. Because I no longer live in an area with horses feet being exposed to dew, rain and drying out often within the same 24 hour period, I've had (in 20 years) only 4 thrown shoes out of 20+ shod horses. I had far more shoeing issues living in other parts of the country with equal farrier skills. I have also observed that horses in training barns here who get hosed off daily, standing in water in wash racks then thrown into stalls and turned out for only an hour or two daily (mostly dry lots) appear to have far more issues with hoof quality and shoeing issues. There are a difference in genetics involved with this as well. I rarely hose off my horses. I do sponge them down when needed but their feet are rarely (maybe 5-8 times a year) standing in water.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:48 pm

exvet wrote:You bring up an issue Blob that I want to expound upon with respect to my OBSERVATION. Here I do not have issues with horses getting their feet wet. Because I no longer live in an area with horses feet being exposed to dew, rain and drying out often within the same 24 hour period, I've had (in 20 years) only 4 thrown shoes out of 20+ shod horses. I had far more shoeing issues living in other parts of the country with equal farrier skills. I have also observed that horses in training barns here who get hosed off daily, standing in water in wash racks then thrown into stalls and turned out for only an hour or two daily (mostly dry lots) appear to have far more issues with hoof quality and shoeing issues. There are a difference in genetics involved with this as well. I rarely hose off my horses. I do sponge them down when needed but their feet are rarely (maybe 5-8 times a year) standing in water.

Yes, the U.S. south can be tough on the hooves. Horses get night turnout because the days are awfully muggy and buggy, but that means wet feet from dew. It's also not uncommon, esp in the summer for there to be flash storms--a lot of rain really fast, but then back to high temps. So tons of dry, wet, dry, wet. The humidity is also bad enough that it's tough to not hose off a horse after work. There is so much stickiness and sweatiness that the easiest thing is to just hose everything and everyone down. Of course, I could avoid that if I needed to, but MM's summer allergies make the hosing (and bathing) an important part of keeping her skin happy. All and all, a lot of things to make keeping shoes on challenging and keeping hooves at their best trickier.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:27 pm

blob

Postby blob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Went out the barn today for the first time in a few weeks (I was out of town).

MM got a quick ride just to get us back in the swing of things. She felt good, a bit on the forehand, but that's not unusual after a couple weeks off.

RP is looking mostly sound. He's leaning on his shoulder a bit, but I suspect that less about pain and more about a habit he developed when there was pain. So I will start him to slow, easy work and see if getting him to stand up straight gets rid of the little favoring i'm seeing, or if there is still some healing to do. Will probably start with hand walking in tack and then some long-lining for a few days before getting on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Glad to hear RP improved while you were gone, blob! Hope he's able to get back to work soon.

The girls got bodywork on Tuesday, and Annabelle got an adjustment to help correct her dropped left hip and get her LS unlocked. She was able to trot pretty nicely under saddle last night, and I could see when we rode by the mirror that she is more mobile in the back, and also more able to LY off the right leg. Tendon was still looking good after the first day of ~1 minute of trotting. This weekend we'll move up to 2 minutes of trotting and 30 total minutes U/S. Today she's getting another Accuwave (I think that's the name) treatment, so hopefully she'll be even more comfortable in her back after that.

Also had a nice ride on Kyra last night. After auditing a couple clinics working with more upright-necked horses, I've been warming her up in a lower frame, and stretching her more frequently in the work, so she's getting more consistent about going out to the bit. The bit shoulder-leading LYs in warmup really seem to be suppling her as well, so the quality of the other lateral work is a lot better than it was a month or two ago. She doesn't stall out when I initiate SI or HP, which she would do in trot especially.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm

It's finally cooler today!! I did get a couple of them worked yesterday even with the heat. It had moderated a bit from Tuesday's high of 100.

I am in the camp of shoe if needed, don't if you can (but none of mine are not shod at least in the front). Rip is shod all the way around. He needs the support of back shoes in his work not for slipping but for stability. Helps him in his engagement. I noticed when we started shoeing him behind how much better, freer and more willing to work. And this horse had good feet. His sister Gaila has lovely feet but with our hard ground she was bruising in her front, she is shod just in front. Joplin has worn front shoes since early on, thin soled and needed the protection (has worn pads as well, though not now) we put back shoes on to help keep her back feet together. Hard ground and wet to dry conditions were wrecking havoc plus she had taken a chunk out and bruised her coffin bone last year kicking it up in the pasture. Her back feet look great now with the shoes on. My old mare Gallie has worn just fronts for awhile now, but probably putting back shoes on this go around. She has foundered in the past and needs the protection with her front feet. Right now with no rain and hard ground her back feet are too short and she is a bit foot sore.

Deep grass, dew, wet and dry conditions and hard ground can really reek havoc on feet here in the south. I use Keratex to help keep them in better shape. Don't usually have trouble keeping shoes on, but my farrier is excellent. It also helps when the horses get stronger and in better balance with their work. Gaila used to spring shoes regularly, has not now for over a year since getting better in her work.

Not hosing is really not done here, horses just get so hot and sweaty with our humid hot weather. we have to hose them after working. I've been known to towel dry around feet and lower legs before putting back in their stalls. Mine do wear bell boots 24/7 at least on front Rip all the way around.

Hope to get back on a regular schedule now with cooler weather.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:06 am

So, my student was kind enough to hop on the sword head for me today so I could see him in work . He is very inconsistent so please do not be critical of her riding. So i present three postures. Preferred and "goals"

I actually think the lowest neck, even though he dropped behind the vertical allows for stride from behind and use if back. He is so unusual in conformation, I wouldn't mind thoughts.

Thx
Attachments
SmartSelect_20190919-195705_Video Player_240x281-01.jpeg
This is his preferred posture
SmartSelect_20190919-195705_Video Player_240x281-01.jpeg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 23462 times
SmartSelect_20190919-094430_Video Player_240x286-01.jpeg
This is ok best perhaps
SmartSelect_20190919-094430_Video Player_240x286-01.jpeg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 23462 times
SmartSelect_20190919-094341_Video Player_240x280-01.jpeg
This is ok
SmartSelect_20190919-094341_Video Player_240x280-01.jpeg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 23462 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:10 am

Not to be outdone "Kimba" wanted to show the no longer popular moment of suspension
Attachments
SmartSelect_20190913-160459_Video Player_240x277-01.jpeg
SmartSelect_20190913-160459_Video Player_240x277-01.jpeg (27.27 KiB) Viewed 23462 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:15 am

Chisamba, although I have way less experience than you, I will be so bold to comment.

I think the "maybe okay" posture is good for a finite period of time (like a month). He looks like a long backed horse, which makes me think he will sooner (than later) need to be introduced to his hind legs. I would be a huge fan of 10s and 100s of halt-walks and walk-trots / repeat during this period.

I like to see Kimba "flying"!

On us: Easy mostly walking hack with friends today but in lovely less brutal temps (mid 80s F for perspective). Just had some really inspirational opportunities lately watching high level riders, too. I'm still processing the insights from that! (like shoulder control--do it--or have someone help you do it from the ground--or do it front the ground!).

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Chisamba, he looks like an interesting dude - reminds me of the dutch harness horse Andrea has in training right now. In any case, I think that you're going to be between the first and second pics for a bit. I like that he's slightly more elevated in the last pic, but I THINK I see a hint of the under neck, which is why I like the middle picture where he's a bit lower. You can see how the different postures have affected the movement.

And for me, I always love the "all four off the floor" pics, Andrea always chooses ones with the hind leg in stance phase for sales pics because it shows the usage of the hind and it's harder (in her opinion) to get good pics of the horses in that phase in the trot.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Definitely second is the best, he looks tricky! Nice work though and I can see a lot of improvements. In my opinion for what it's worth, in the last one you lost the hocks and the hind end- starting to trail. No strung bow (but you probably already know this).
thanks for sharing!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:20 pm

I have actually ridden two times this week! I was on vacation for 9 days (3rd-12th) but this week I have gotten on track with getting some saddle time. Kyra is going very well. A lot of thanks to Straightforward who has done some really nice work with her. I turned her loose in the indoor on Wednesday and she looked so put together...at liberty. Very nice self carriage and nice lengthenings (not tight back, tail in the air farting around). Yesterday I was trying canter to trot transitions...not good. I haven't worked on those in a long, long time as canter to walk was easier on my back. They improved during the session but back to that core work for me ;) . I went back to a few canter to walk transitions and they were very nice. Not quite the feather floating to earth but nicely responsive and reasonably balanced. Yes, they can be better but considering I am riding :D . I am feeling more at home in the saddle each ride. My back didn't seize up post ride this week so I take that as a positive.

I have decided to start her on Legend. She had some swelling...but no lameness in her right front fetlock early last month. She is 17 and the footing at my barn is not stellar. It is worked fairly regularly but being an arena put in with little base, we have rock migration issues (land sits on lava rock).
The heat resolved but she still has a bit of puffiness on the inside (wind puff?). The vet could discern no lameness and suggested that I try some kind of maintenance first before we go to shooting lots of x-rays and injecting things. We are trying Legend and I have to say, after the first shot she did feel much more fluid and 'slinky'. She has never been one to express much elasticity. I feel better injecting the Legend than trying anything feed through and in the end isn't any more expensive. I will see how this goes. Her next dose is next week. She has been quite full of it and expressive like she feels REALLY good. Oh yeah and we are working with a light chain on her weaker right hind (at least when I remember). I use hoof boots on her so the chain works better than the bell boot. It will be interesting to see if it helps over time.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:55 pm

Sigh.

I bought Laddie in yesterday, after a couple of days of relentless actual paying job hell where I barely saw the outdoors let alone got the chance to ride, and he has a hot, sore fat RF. Called the vet, cold hosed, wrapped and stuck him on stall rest until the vet can come out on Tuesday. I've just been over and had a look at it, and it looks better than it did yesterday, but is still hot and sore to the touch. Looks like a tendon injury to me, God knows how he did that. It's sore enough that I wonder if he clonked it on something or kicked himself.

He's completely sound at the walk, though. I haven't tried anything else and won't until the vet gets here. Hosed him, wrapped him back up and put him back in his stall. I will stop by and give him some bute later.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:34 pm

awww sorry

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:35 pm

TOO HOT.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:59 pm

Chisamba - my 2 cents for the photos - the middle picture with the lowest head is my favorite. IMO this posture will help him stretch and start to use muscles in his back and hopefully to loosen him up. If there is anyone who can rehab this horse it is you. I'm guessing from his prior driving days he may have had a check rein used to keep his head up - poor guy. Stretching down and be allowed to move freely forward without restrictions might feel really good to this horse.

Kimba - lovely picture with that flying tail. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:37 am

Josette wrote:Chisamba - my 2 cents for the photos - the middle picture with the lowest head is my favorite. IMO this posture will help him stretch and start to use muscles in his back and hopefully to loosen him up. If there is anyone who can rehab this horse it is you. I'm guessing from his prior driving days he may have had a check rein used to keep his head up - poor guy. Stretching down and be allowed to move freely forward without restrictions might feel really good to this horse.

Kimba - lovely picture with that flying tail. :)

Yes he had to be shown he could lower his head. I definitely think he was driven with an over check.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Chisamba, I look forward to your updates and future photos of Swordhead! You have the wisdom and skill to help him tremendously.

It was interesting watching a pair at my barn today. They had past habits of zooming around on the forehand without a half halt (in pursuit of "forward"). They are now several months into arena work that focuses on "1000s of transitions." Both horse and rider are much calmer, in better balance and looking stronger! Amazing what the basics can do (with taking the basics seriously :-D).

I had a lovely hack today with a new boarder plus some easy work in the fields. Em is feeling strong and capable. As soon as it rains (and the arena is less dusty), I want to go deep into some harder work. I love working outside the arena, but there are limits with the footing quality between too dry and too wet or too bumpy. Now we're just touching on all of the foundations while keeping up aerobic fitness. Again, I'll put in a plug for Equithrive (revesterol) as it does seem to be quite helpful for Emi.

Susan- Love that you are back on Kyra and glad the addition of Legend seems helpful. Keep getting stronger so you can enjoy your lovely mare! It is just awesome that you have SF to help you both, and have Kyra help SF, too, with another feel. SF, fingers crossed for Annabelle, too!

Khall, we are so dry here that the dust is impressive. It's rare for us----but at least the temps are in the 80s F this coming week. It feels wonderful after weeks (!) in the 90s F (not "normal" here...but more normal for you in GA).

Moutaineer--Damn. Hope Laddie improves very soon. I know I am lucky in that the most typical thing my horse does in solo turnout is scrape herself up expressing herself to neighbors (which can be dramatic blood on a white horse). In group turnout, we've had way more challenges and injuries...hence she is alone but surrounded by her neighhhhborhood.

Exvet - Wow. Great job, and please continue with updates! If I didn't comment on you, it does not mean I'm not cheering you on :P It would be lovely to have an update from Xan on the BB (boy bronto) and the lease/temporary situation, hint hint.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Had a bit of a light bulb moment recently.

I went to see a physical therapist about some health issues I've been having. She did a full check of my body's balance and strength (I felt like I was being given a PPE!). Unrelated to why I was there, she noticed that my right hip and si are not nearly as strong or supple as my left side.

Today while riding MM, I realized that one of the reasons the l to r change is much harder for us is that my seat is getting stuck. I'm not able to come through with my right seat bone/hip in that direction the way I am the other direction.

RP is looking sound in the walk and trot, but not in the canter. I'm wondering whether I should put him into a light trot-walk work program or if he needs more full rest time. It's always hard to know what's best.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Ok, so I haven't posted much recently. Delilah was on and off with working as she got her horse sickness vaccinations and there's a period where she's not allowed to have an elevated heart rate so that means if she works then it's only walking. Took her yesterday to her first championships and I was pretty impressed especially considering she had the week off leading up to the show. We got 64.8% for Novice 5 and came second. In Novice 6 we got 63.4 from the judge at B and 64 from the judge at C and a 3rd place. We then also got reserve champion for the day at our level and reserve champion for the series. Our next show is in October and then hopefully I want to try the next level up in December. I did try the end of last year where we got 55 and 57, so I am positive that she should score better. One thing this show did show me is just how much she's grown up and how reliable she's becoming.

We got a ton of goodies including a nice new halter (I was looking at her everyday halter on Friday thinking it needed replacing) and shampoo. Oh, and once I've ordered pictures from the photographer I will post them, first need to decide which are the best pictures and order. but here's a picture of our rosettes from yesterday.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:52 pm

wow! those are super ribbons! Very colorful. Many congrats :)

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:05 am

I just had the BEST championships! I am not the "cool" person, but I had all kinds of cool things. I had great stabling and was between two old friends who are cool people. I had so much support from people, including a friend who came and helped, Sheryl Lemke, of Lemke saddles, who has been helping me understand and fix my issues with my position via my (apparently really bad) saddle, and she even let me test ride one of her saddles in the champs! I could really feel the difference, and from day one riding in my saddle (on two horses) to day two riding in her saddle on both horses, to day three in my newly fixed/reflocked saddle and her amazing saddle pad (massive fleece against the horse), to day four where I rode once in each saddle, I was able to make a HUGE difference in fixing my position and doing SO much better. (I have little help, no mirrors, and a bad back, so always tilt forward.) And a huge shout out to the judges who called me out every single time I did and noticed over the days I improved!

The girls went from hard to ride, spooky, trying to keep it together to me asking for everything and pushing it to the limit and getting it! I still do not have enough impulsion (can you ever??) but made progress, and pretty much even though we'd all like higher scores and more, I can't disagree with anything. Our scores got better and better as the judges got harder and harder (SO much work for them to judge four days straight) and both girls kept moving up in placings and scores in insanely competitive classes, 4th, PSG, and I-1.

(And both are barefoot and never took a bad step, even over the rocks on cement that can be brutal on feet.)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 pm

I took a casual look around to enter two fall shows to see if i could improve my scores and finish out the year well. BOTH places that usually have rated fall shows cancelled. and there are many schooling shows but i wanted recognized oh well, end of the show year for me.

congrats Tanga and Borrowed Freedom on your shows

Moutaineer, sorry about Laddy, keep us posted on his injury.

Kimba is finally giving me a single flying change exactly when i ask, but not always clean, so there is progress.

Sword has settled into a more cadenced tempo, and a more consistent contact, still no stretch down and out.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:25 pm

StraightForward wrote:Meanwhile in remedial land - Annabelle trotted 3 circuits of the small indoor under saddle, and Tesla is getting the idea of long-lining, though she does not believe in trotting to the right. We're with you, Chisamba, on being challenged to canter a circle. She can do it, but she is turning out to be an energy conservationist, so doesn't want to do the more challenging direction. Kicking at the whip seems to be more appealing than just going forward at times.

Just a thought - this can me a sign of soreness somewhere. This is usually the first sign. Even if she will go to the right when at liberty, it doesn't necessarily mean there is no pain or issue somewhere - as liberty work is unrestrained. Maybe check things out. In my experience 100% clean horses don't resist consistently to one direction. Good luck :)
"Fix things going forward." LR

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:27 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 pm

Really? You have never seen a horse kick at the whip because it just doesn't like the whip?

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 pm

Chisamba wrote:Really? You have never seen a horse kick at the whip because it just doesn't like the whip?

thats not what the problem was.
"Fix things going forward." LR

Return to “Dressage Training”