Trot and canter levels different.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Shirrine
Herd Member

Trot and canter levels different.

Postby Shirrine » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:32 am

Since being gelded 2 years ago I have been concentrating on Lewyns softness and getting him to open up in front and use himself properly. As a stallion with attitude he learnt some bad habbits. I have also concentrated on his walk which was pretty bad due to dangly bits getting in the way.
The other day I took him to my instructor to ride as he has a breed show next week and I don't have the strength to work him for long enough.
We put him in a double for the first time and he accepted it really well. Instructor seemed to enjoy playing with buttons and commented about how nice and light he was. His lateral work is really well established.
The he asked for canter, oops maybe I should be doing more work at canter. :oops:
I asked if he thought his trot work was up to elementary (2nd level) and his comment more like Medium (3rd) level. I preened. :D
We then decided his canter level was more training level. :oops: Looks like a lot of canter work in our future.
Anyone else done this?

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Brydie
Herd Member

Re: Trot and canter levels different.

Postby Brydie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:42 am

I am quite new to dressage, but know how you feel but not to that extreme! Our trot is starting to really come a long... our canter could be a lot better! We are now starting to score 7's on our trot work, but can score as low as 5's for our canter. Our current goals are to improve this canter... it's really about my riding than him. Need to create more energy into more of a contact... I have a habit of throwing the contact away but believe I am improving! At least every other schooling session has the canter as our main focus now.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:20 pm

My mare is the other way: Trot does not yet have a true medium, much less more. But canter is real 3rd level work. Different horses, different strengths.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:02 am

I think its actually pretty common for paces to be at different levels. Every combo has their strengths and weakness's and as they develop something else becomes the weakness. The trick of course is to recognise it and then know the best way to develop it.

I know bess and i have this problem. Her trot work is generally a level or so above her canter though we are working on bringing it more level. Then of course we also have the different quality/strength issue of right vs left canter too. Mostly caused by me and my crooked hips i think :)

Return to “Dressage Training”