Use of the whip

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Use of the whip

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:06 pm

There are so many ways we use the whip in training.

This was an interesting example I saw recently. The trainer used the whip at time while the rider worked on improving the turn and sit of a canter pirourette. He pointed the whip at the horse's shoulder and made it "sizzle" a little back and forth. The elevation and carriage of the horse reacted very sharply and nicely to the sizzle, resulting in a much better pirouette and showing the rider that the horse could in fact stand up off that inside shoulder. There's a way that the trainer's body language and whip were both employed to agitate the horse just a bit so that they would change their balance in their work.

Linden
Herd Member

Re: Use of the whip

Postby Linden » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 am

That's really innovative - I have never seen that technique before. Really cool! Thanks for sharing
"Fix things going forward." LR

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:18 am

Was he touching the horse with the whip? Or just pointing it at the shoulder?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:07 pm

heddylamar wrote:Was he touching the horse with the whip? Or just pointing it at the shoulder?

No touching. He did a very effective body language move towards the shoulder (like a prowl) and then quickly moved the whip side to side so that it made a sizzling sound/appearance. It was a very specific move---and not kept up for more than a second or two at a time. It would probably have been too agitating for some horses, but it was the right degree of energy for this particular horse. FWIW, this trainer is also outstanding at working horses from the ground in long lines.

I was thinking as I watched, "there are times I need a shoulder sizzler!" It is a nice way to break out of a movement box/out of rider-trainer expectations about what a horse can do.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:31 pm

I know that I was taught the whip is not a forward aid supplement. It is an articulation and balance-adjusting supplement

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Linden, that is an interesting point. Does this emerge in your experience from basic training from the ground/in-hand?

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:34 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Linden, that is an interesting point. Does this emerge in your experience from basic training from the ground/in-hand?

PM sent:)

blob

Postby blob » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:12 pm

one of my favorite ways to use a whip is to tap the hindquarters on a downward transition to help horses that have a tendency to dive down in downwards. When I first learned this, it was such a revolutionary learning. I hadn't thought to use it in a downward and it made an immediate difference with the bulldog-like quarter horse I was riding at the time.

With MM, the whip has unfortunately mostly become a way to back up my leg when/if she is being lazy/slugglish. interestingly enough, though, what gets the most response from her is the threat of the whip, rather than the whip itself. Meaning if she sees it, she listens. So, often I will not even use it on her, but rather hit my boot or flick through the air to get a sound.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:00 am

I like the whip tap for downwards, too. On my current horse, I also use it to increase bounce/elevation in collected trot or half steps/piaffe.

My mixed sludgy/hot mare also responds well to the visual of the whip---more than the touch. So, there are times in schooling that I show her the whip--much the way race horse jockeys do.

Also, to be honest, I use the whip for basic things like Go into the trailer! or Go into the creek! (which we did earlier this week---incredible heat here and Ms. Mare can be touchy in new environments.). That is primarily using the whip as a pointer---without much or any touch.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:09 am

That makes complete sense to me.

My younger mare was started by a Buck Brannaman acolyte, and she ignores the whip as a "GO NOW" or "yield" tool. But, if I point it her direction? All attention is focused on the tip of that whip. She does the same with a flag.

Return to “Dressage Training”