Intermediare A and B

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Intermediare A and B

Postby Tanga » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:55 pm

I am apparently the queen of finding rules I have violated that no one knows about. One of them was you are not allowed to show I1 and I2 at the same show because they are not consecutive levels! I showed them at three shows (I always do two FEI rides a day, my horses are fit and it's more economical) and then three months later the USDF sent me a letter saying I have violated the rules and they were negating all of my I-2 scores. No refunds of course. Pretty much every TD and judge was not aware of this. Hilda (Gurney) knows it, but she knows all.

So in asking on an international FB dressage group if other countries ride A and B, some others do. And when asking, they all have championships that include those classes in the medium tour. We in the US have A and B because (according to Hilda) it's an FEI rule. But it is useless to ride them here unless to school, and I don't know about anyone else, but it is way too expensive for me to show to school. A and B count for nothing. There are no championship classes in A and B and no year end awards in the open or breeds. Why would anyone show this?

So in talking to someone from NZ in that they are good stepping stones to I2 and GP, which I agree with because they don't make that jump so big, she urged me to try to get them to count. I actually think it's a great idea (not that anyone cares what I think.) I don't know about other places in the country, but at the championships here, the PSG and I-1 classes are often the biggest classes. I think mine had 30+ horses? There were fewer in 4th, and the I2 classes usually only has a few people if any.

I think this huge glut of people at PSG and I2 could move up a little, if not to I2, if we actually had I A and B where it wasn't so hard for the not super amazing horses and people, and it would be really cool.

What do you think? Do you think we/I could get the USDF/USEF to actually make this count, and we could have I A and B national standings?

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Intermediare A and B

Postby blob » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm

I have no idea what you might be able to sway the USDF/USEF to do. But I'm pretty surprised to hear this. How frustrating.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Oh my gosh, that is INCREDIBLY frustrating!

I don't think I would've known that either. I mean, I've heard about them, but none of the shows I go to even offer I-A or B as a possible option....so how are you supposed to ride them, then?

That seems so unfair.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 am

Yep. I know. It makes no sense. Since I seem to be the one who keeps brining up these things and challenging them, maybe I can figure out a way to present it. Janet Foy was talking about me to a friend who lived in Florida when I wrote her and the freestyle committee about that ridiculous rule change for the 63% freestyle requirement, so maybe they want to hear more from me.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:05 am

It seems a bit unfair that they are in validating the higher level scores, but yes fitness is not the reason people don't ride these tests in the same show

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Kelo wrote:I don't think I would've known that either. I mean, I've heard about them, but none of the shows I go to even offer I-A or B as a possible option....so how are you supposed to ride them, then?

They're typically offered via FEI Test of Choice classes.

This has been a rule for a while, though-- I remember thanking my lucky stars at the time that my gelding and I had "graduated" to I2/GP the year prior to adding the I-A/B.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Yeah. I've been hit on several occasions with score invalidations that were not my fault and not only did I lose the score, but all the money. I guess it's no big deal to other people, but it is me.

Fitness is an issue with a lot of things in dressage. I think most people's horses are far too unfit. Mine have no issues doing two FEI classes a day, even at that level. Often the first class might be the throwaway because they are so fit. When I go to shows, it is usually far easier than what we do at home. At championships the both ended up doing one class, two, two and one over the four days, and by the end they were super rideable. Thinking back on it, I should have gone a day earlier to get some work in.

But that's another thread. I find conditioning and fitness to be the center of everything I do with them to get them ready to do the work, and myself.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:They're typically offered via FEI Test of Choice classes.

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to look again at a show bill for the shows I go to, I don't remember seeing a TOC option for those, but to be fair I-A and I-B haven't been something I've needed to worry about (until now, I guess) so maybe I didn't notice...or maybe they'd add it if asked....

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:24 am

Kelo wrote:
Ponichiwa wrote:They're typically offered via FEI Test of Choice classes.

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to look again at a show bill for the shows I go to, I don't remember seeing a TOC option for those, but to be fair I-A and I-B haven't been something I've needed to worry about (until now, I guess) so maybe I didn't notice...or maybe they'd add it if asked....

In dealing with all of this and judges, TD's and show managers, even though no one knows they exist or rides them, you can always ask. Even if they don't offer a TOC, if you contact management, I'm willing to bet 99.9% of the time, you can show it. I have never seen it on any entry option except in TOC.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Tanga wrote:....

But that's another thread. I find conditioning and fitness to be the center of everything I do with them to get them ready to do the work, and myself...

I don’t want to change the subject of this thread, but conditioning and fitness is a big part of what I think I need to work on right now for both me and my mare(s). I’d like to hear more about what you do.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Here's a bit of background on the medium tour.
https://dressagetoday.com/instruction/medium-tour-14696
I'm not sure that they've totally figured it out yet. For me, I don't have any interest in riding them, but, you can always play it safe with doing what other posters have suggested - riding a second test as TOC.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Dresseur wrote:Here's a bit of background on the medium tour.
https://dressagetoday.com/instruction/medium-tour-14696
I'm not sure that they've totally figured it out yet. For me, I don't have any interest in riding them, but, you can always play it safe with doing what other posters have suggested - riding a second test as TOC.

I put this question out on an international dressage FB group. Other countries that actually compete in the A and B HAVE medium tours where you can go to shows and compete those classes and be champion. I believe they also have year end status. It says in this article that Wellington and DOD have the medium tour, but I have never seen any mention of it, ever, or anyone riding it.

I actually think it's a great idea, but it is useless unless they have a purpose. I would be riding them in a shot if I could compete in A/B at the championships and have a year end standing in them. But they don't have them. So while of course it is a great stepping stone and training, it is far too much money for me, and a lot of people I think, to just go to a show and school those levels.

Return to “Dressage Training”