Spin off--cool down.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Spin off--cool down.

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:49 pm

So Linden has a post about warming up. I'm pretty disciplined about this, but I feel my end-of-ride procedure is a bit lacking. I tend to try to finish on a good note and then walk on a loose rein until both of us have normal breathing, then get off and hand walk a bit.

I wonder if I should be incorporating more stretchy trot at the end of a session, prior to walking. In some ways it feels like adding an extra element to screw up after our good note, though I can see the value of adding the additional stretch out and relax element.

What do you all do for this?

Linden
Herd Member

Re: Spin off--cool down.

Postby Linden » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:15 pm

I stretchy trot a figure-8 4 times around and then walk on a loose rein large around the arena until our breathing rate is back to normal.
"Fix things going forward." LR

blob

Postby blob » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:20 pm

I almost always do stretch trot after with MM, unless I want to stop immediately after something especially good--like a clean change in our sticky direction.

I don't always do stretch trot with RP at the end of the ride. I used to, but then he reached a point where anytime i did stretch he thought we were done. So now, I have to vary that and ask him throughout the ride, rather than using it as an 'ending signal'

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:25 pm

blob wrote:I don't always do stretch trot with RP at the end of the ride. I used to, but then he reached a point where anytime i did stretch he thought we were done. So now, I have to vary that and ask him throughout the ride, rather than using it as an 'ending signal'

Interesting you mention that - I incorporate stretchy trot into my regular work all throughout the ride - use it as a warmup, then I use it to test the connection and ridability, to provide a break for the large muscle groups between collection exercises, and then at the end for cooldown. It has many applications within my work. I find because of that, my horses don't regard it as an indicator of 'quitting time'
"Fix things going forward." LR

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I have to admit that my horse is not the best at a stretchy trot. She can do it after good work (in the middle or end of a session) for a few circles, and I take that. I'm aware this is not ideal---but in 5 years I've only made so much progress with my now 17 yr old! I use a long rein walk much more often for the cool down. Ideally, I do a 10 minute hack out of the ring after our work (this is easy when we work in the fields, as we are 15 minutes from the barn). At night under the lights, I walk until her breathing is normal. I also use a lower round canter as part of the pre-cool down.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:24 pm

I too will often finish with a stretchy trot; so far, Junior hasn't decided that this means he gets to quit. I will then finish with a long walk break until he's breathing normally. Because of our challenges with the walk, even in our cool down we focus on maintaining a connection and encouraging him to stretch over his back really emphasizing what 'swing' he has. I can't say I really do much more than that.

Return to “Dressage Training”