It’s the Holiday Season! November/December Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: It’s the Holiday Season! November/December Goals and Progress

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:44 pm

Well damn H4S. Just as things were starting to look up a bit. I'm so sorry.

Laddie and I are having a post-clinic week off. The weather is awful and with the holiday and all, I just decided to throw in the towel for a week. Back to it on Saturday if we can dig ourselves out from the multiple feet of snow we are in the middle of getting at the moment.

Clinic was all about straightness. We are struggling a bit which puts me in a funk because we are never going to get a satisfactory FC without straightness, but then I remember that he used to fold himself pretty much in half when asked to canter, so we have actually come a long way. He's a good boy and tries so hard.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:05 am

Jingles for Mark,H4S!
Keep calm and canter on.

Heffner
Greenie

Postby Heffner » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Try to enjoy the week off despite the bad weather! You've deserved it.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Sending jingles to you H4S and Mark. I know that feeling when rehab goes wrong and I feel for you.

We're still grounded here. They are working on laser leveling the base in the indoor and getting that 100% before the new footing arrives. I managed to get a quicky walk hack in the drenched/waterlogged outdoor yesterday morning before coming home to cook. Outdoor is now frozen 100% solid today and the fields are a mix of frozen ruts or wet slippery gross and it's supposed to snow 6+ inches this weekend so no riding for us until the indoor is completed. Boo.

But for some major exciting news... I got my very own, new to me trailer!! Lady posted it on facebook for a steal and I managed to be the first person to message her. Come to find out she was 10 minutes from my house so super easy to pop over and check it out. It's a 2008, 2 horse w/dressing room and the bones are good, needs new tires and interior padding replaced and a couple things here and there cosmetically I'll probably do but it's a Hawk and they wear like iron.

first ride.jpg
first ride.jpg (122.47 KiB) Viewed 23844 times

farm.jpg
farm.jpg (145.23 KiB) Viewed 23844 times

It'll sit for the winter likely but come spring I'll be able to be-bop whereever and whenever I want! No more beg/borrow to go places and I am pumped.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:18 pm

awesome! Its great to have your own trailer isn't it?
Things are going well for me in Nov. Very good lessons with a lot of breakthroughs. Focusing a lot on the half pass and medium trot work.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:07 am

oh no! please keep us posted, Hot4spot.

Aleuronx--congrats on the trailer--what exciting news!

I finally got around to buying one of those flexible tripods to attach my phone to the arena rail to get video without an extra hand. I gave the get up a try yesterday and today and while the video came out at a weird angle and has lots of blank time when i'm out of view, it has still been really helpful to see.

However, what I saw, I was not pleased with. On MM i just simply look sloppy. There is too much unnecessary movement, adjustments in my positions, and the reins that I sure were nice and short look a mile long. Oy.

Thankfully I do not look loose and sloppy on RP, however I do not look much better. On him, my leg is way out in front of me and I am a lot more forward in my upper body than I thought I was. I think my leg is partly due to a too short stirrup. So I'll be lengthening and trying to sit up and back. ugh ugh.

Looks like i'll be needing to put myself in position boot camp so that I'm not so horrified next time I see myself.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:19 am

Congrats, Aleuronx! I bought a Hawk this spring, and love, love, love it!

Blob, I'm sure you're your own worst critic, but the video feedback is really helpful. I know I've found things that I wonder why no one has pointed out to me (like one shoulder an inch or two higher, ugh).
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 am

Bummed about Mark. Please share updates, H4S.

Nice trailer and rig, A.x.!

I'm with SF on the videotaping...it is painful, but helpful. Also, if you watch a bit later with a drink or your equivalent in hand and a more distant frame of mind, you might notice things you do routinely well. It is brutal, none the less, but helpful for sorting through feelings, realities and actualites.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 am

video is definitely super helpful! And I'd rather see the bad and actually have the chance to fix it, rather than go on in ignorant bliss, ha! In fact, seeing the video has gotten me some very valuable insights the last couple rides.

MM is always so soft in the mouth that it's easy for me to not realize that she's slowly sneaking inches of rein on me and anytime i see video my reins are longer than I intended them to be. Well, today I was determined to keep my reins short and I found that MM really struggled with my short reins at the trot. Instead of coming fully forward into the shorter rein from behind she wanted to hop up with her shoulder into the connection, rather than sit behind and push through. So I did lots of trot-halt transitions with some rein-backs thrown in as well. And in the upward transitions, again she would hop up with the shoulder into the trot instead of pushing off from behind. We haven't had a lesson in awhile, but I should have one this coming weekend, so it'll be good to talk to my instructor about. I also plan on showing up with some blue tape and asking him to mark where he thinks my rein length should be, so I can make sure I stick to it and don't accidentally get TOO short.

RP is at a weird stage. He's been doing this crazy head tossing business at the beginnings of our ride and some days it lasts the majority of our ride on and off. I can always work him through it and by the end he feels very connected and nice. I'd hoped it was something that after a few rides of working through it, it would mostly go away. But even though it improves within each ride, it is not improving ride to ride. The video has confirmed what I suspected--when he's head tossing he's not wanting to come through with the hind leg (usually the right hind)--he's getting behind the leg and dropping behind. when he gets this way, getting him to move forward can be really challenging. He will run around on his forehand and get panicked, but will resist stepping through. I used a spur on him for the first time the last couple rides to see if that might help with the engagement when he gets stuck. And while it helps me work through it, he's still coming out each day with the same head tossing. By the end he feels great, but I'm not starting the next day where we left off. I'm feeling a bit of a loss as to how to move past this. His head tossing can be so dramatic that I'm worried he's going to catch me in the face one of these days. Saddle has been checked, but I think i might just try riding in a different one to be sure. And while I"m fairly certain this isn't a mouth issue, i will also have his teeth checked. He does this on the lunge as well--but it's easier and faster for me to work him through from the ground. I am very open to any ideas or suggestions.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:57 am

blob wrote: His head tossing can be so dramatic that I'm worried he's going to catch me in the face one of these days. Saddle has been checked, but I think i might just try riding in a different one to be sure. And while I"m fairly certain this isn't a mouth issue, i will also have his teeth checked. He does this on the lunge as well--but it's easier and faster for me to work him through from the ground. I am very open to any ideas or suggestions.
For safety purposes, consider riding with a running martingale. Of course, look for physical reasons for him doing this, which you are.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 am

musical comedy wrote:
blob wrote: His head tossing can be so dramatic that I'm worried he's going to catch me in the face one of these days. Saddle has been checked, but I think i might just try riding in a different one to be sure. And while I"m fairly certain this isn't a mouth issue, i will also have his teeth checked. He does this on the lunge as well--but it's easier and faster for me to work him through from the ground. I am very open to any ideas or suggestions.
For safety purposes, consider riding with a running martingale. Of course, look for physical reasons for him doing this, which you are.

great idea on the running martingale, I don't know why I didn't think of that! That'll definitely keep things safer while I figure this out.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:00 am

Mountaineer wrote:Clinic was all about straightness. We are struggling...but then I remember that he used to fold himself pretty much in half when asked to canter, so we have actually come a long way. He's a good boy and tries so hard.

That really is a long way to have come. I can get very down on myself for not making both of Emi's canters the same this point in time. That said, both left and right are much better than last year or the year before (etc.)..and the weakness of the right canter is much less obvious. Smaller counter canter circles is where it is all still there.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:52 pm

After the holiday (coach gone), several days of rain and cold weather where all we could do was trail ride due to the poor footing, I was able to get a lesson. It was fantastic! We first just warmed up and experimented with some long and low to see if we could get Junior to loosen up his back. At first it didn't seem like it made much of a difference. We commenced then with with working on walk-canter and canter=walk transitions. Junior was the bomb and really worked well under himself. Then we went on to do the lateral movements including half pass at trot. I focused on the quality of the gaits, keeping my seat open, chest lifted AND my outside rein. It was amazing how much bend I got simply by half-halting every other stride with my outside rein alternating with asking for Junior to step into both reins equally and reaching over his back. The really nice thing though, was that with just a little bit of lower leg at the right time I got POWER, real POWER. His trot was cadenced. His medium trot and medium canter were expressive and lifted up through the withers. It was nice to see our work on building his strength and stamina (mostly counter canter work and conditioning on the trails) is starting to pay off. We also worked on turn on the haunches which went very well...........so next lesson we may start working on the flying changes..... :) At that end of my lesson, I realized a small group had gathered to watch. A couple were asking what Junior was. A few asked whether I had worked the upper levels before especially when they heard how old Junior is. It brought back fond memories of my days riding Monty (Desertmoon Champignon, who I earned my silver on) and Resi (Pro A Resolute, my daughter's stallion, Junior's sire); but, most of all it was a nice validation of the longer journey I've been on developing the breed. Ride what you love and love what you ride........there's nothing better.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:17 pm

blob wrote:RP is at a weird stage. He's been doing this crazy head tossing business at the beginnings of our ride and some days it lasts the majority of our ride on and off. I can always work him through it and by the end he feels very connected and nice.

I'm going through something similar with Annabelle (again), and we (vet, bodyworkers and I) think it's hind end weakness and low back pain Spring of 2018 my instructor had to push us through a rough patch because she would do this ridiculous hopping thing instead of just cantering forward. As she got stronger, it went away, but her right lead would deteriorate over time, until she got an adjustment. After about 4-6 months of getting worked on approximately monthly she got strong enough to hold together on her own. Fast forward to now, a lot of the strength is gone after almost a year of stall rest, so the hopping thing is back, especially the first time I ask her for trot, and she works out of it. I've started backing her in hand, and asking for some hind leg lifts (like pre half steps), and when I get on, use voltes and lateral work at the walk to loosen her up and remind her she has back legs before asking for any trot. I'll also bend her neck a bit in trot to get her a little looser when she starts getting into that tight, stuck mindset. Walk cavalettis are part of the plan too, to rebuild muscle within the constrains of rehabbing the DDFT injury.

Over here, we're just chopping wood and carrying water. Annabelle is doing 15-20 minutes per day of trot, mixed up between lunge and under saddle, with all the above. Tesla is taking second string right now, but getting better and better on the long lines. Since we missed the window for starting her this fall, it will probably be at least March, and more realistically May before we start riding, so other than getting her more in a mindset to start adulting, there's not much pressure to get a ton done with her this winter.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm

SF--sorry to hear you're going through this with Annabelle also. But I am also grateful for your insights/thoughts on the issue. RP spent a little over two months out of work with his shoulder injury. He was getting turnout--but in a small solo paddock. And I suspect he might have gotten used to carrying himself a bit crooked, which might have led to the left side getting stronger and the right side getting weaker.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:02 pm

[quote="StraightForward" we're just chopping wood and carrying water. [/quote]

I haven't heard this expression before, but it is just perfect!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Even though Moutaineer stole all our snow, winter is indeed here and so I probably spend more time out of the arena than in. It was waaay too cold to ride yesterday, but I did ride for Thanksgiving and on Saturday at least. Although I'm still quite tubby and haven't lost the 20lbs I wanted, I am fit enough to trot for 2 miles at a wack. 8-) Oh so is Rudy, who has always loved our jaunts out. Cool thing is, once he's settled into a nice working trot (as opposed to roadster trot) I can then play with stride length and power. It's one thing to get nice cadence in the arena, quite another to get it out on a hard dirt road. Oh, and even though his shoes have been off for 6 weeks now, his canter on the road is also amazing--so much jump, so much sit--so incredibly fun to play with.

A couple weeks ago, Tio was in a bit of a snit and bucking quite a bit on the lunge and arguing about in-hand work. He was fine under saddle but his antics on the ground made me nervous. I stuck a flash nose band on his bridle and, presto, obnoxious behavior disappeared. His bridle is a little big and the regular cavesson does little to keep him from gaping his mouth or crossing his jaw when he's having one of his snits, but a not-even-snug flash stopped all that messing around and, apparently, allowed him to focus on me instead. Makes sense, I suppose, as I started him in a drop and used that for at least a couple years. He's been quite nice to ride since, although I'm still chicken about cantering much. I may send him to a trainer (I know, I say that every year.) Cool thing is he really listens to hh's now and understands I wish him to sit a little behind. He can now get an actual trot-halt and an almost halt-trot. He will also step into the canter from the walk, so if his rider would quit being such a weanie, he could really make a lot of progress in his canter. Then again, sometimes said rider talks about selling him to someone younger, braver so...

For myself, I am still walking the dogs almost every morning for at least 2 miles and often 3. I can easily complete a 5k in 50 minutes even. The only thing that stops me is lack of time or extreme cold (wind chills below 0 degrees F). Dogs look great, cardiologist says my ticker looks great, and my back and legs are no longer screaming at the end of the walk--so now, all I have to do is quit eating all that yummy food! ;)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:49 pm

blob wrote:SF--sorry to hear you're going through this with Annabelle also. But I am also grateful for your insights/thoughts on the issue. RP spent a little over two months out of work with his shoulder injury. He was getting turnout--but in a small solo paddock. And I suspect he might have gotten used to carrying himself a bit crooked, which might have led to the left side getting stronger and the right side getting weaker.

Very well could be. It's kind of a fine line to walk, pushing the right amount to get them to use themselves, while also not being dismissive of real pain or discomfort. The regular adjustments really do seem to make a difference, and last longer as the work improves and the muscles start functioning more correctly.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Forgot to add my Turkey Trot picture. grey dog is Ripley. She "replaced" Lucy this spring--Lucy was hit by a semi the day before Christmas. Ripley is some kind of Blue heeler cross; we call her our Boston Heeler. She only knows one trick, "sit pretty." She can do it for literally 5 minutes at a time!
8780 (2).jpeg
8780 (2).jpeg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 23683 times

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:52 pm

exvet wrote:Ride what you love and love what you ride........there's nothing better.

Hear, hear! :D

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Quick update: We moved Bliss yesterday to his winter lodgings. He was an absolute gentleman for the whole experience and appears to be quite satisfied with his new accommodations. We also had a really good ride in the indoor. Hard to believe that as a NINE year old, he's only been ridden in an indoor arena a total of five times now. Nonetheless he was great.

My trainer's first ride on him will be tomorrow. Fingers crossed all goes well for both of them!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:34 pm

SueB- Your Boston Heeler is adorable! And good on you getting out there on the roads.

SF/Blob- Hope you both get them sorted soon. SF, correct me if I'm wrong but Chop wood/Carry water is from a book of that title correct? There are some podcasts I've listened to that I think have mentioned that. A mindset type book I believe. It on my list of things I'd like to listen as an audiobook if I get around to it.

Thanks for all the congrats about the trailer. I am beyond excited about it even though it is as I type snowed in by 12+" of snow. Only 4 and half months until spring!! :lol:

Kora and I are still in a holding pattern. The barn is currently waiting on another delivery of sand and the additive mixture to be delivered for the footing, so still no riding. Luckily she's at a good place for a bit of a break as she was doing quite good work before we got grounded. While I'd certainly like to be riding I'm happy to wait for the arena to be done right!
arena.jpg
arena.jpg (153.66 KiB) Viewed 23665 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:03 am

Nice indoor!

I had a lesson today, first ride since the clinic. We achieved a very nice flying change going Right to left We'd been working on prompt and accurately bent simple changes through a figure 8, shortening the number of walk strides between each strike off, when the old man said "I think this is what you are asking me for..." and boom! So we stopped with that :)

Ah, the difference a good ride can make to us navel-gazers.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:08 am

Aleuronx wrote:. SF, correct me if I'm wrong but Chop wood/Carry water is from a book of that title correct?

I think it comes from the story of going to study under a kung Fu master and being made to do only menial tasks for years to become a worthy student.

ETA, Zen origin, to be more exact:
https://www.sloww.co/enlightenment-chop ... rry-water/
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Nice indoor!

I had a lesson today, first ride since the clinic. We achieved a very nice flying change going Right to left We'd been working on prompt and accurately bent simple changes through a figure 8, shortening the number of walk strides between each strike off, when the old man said "I think this is what you are asking me for..." and boom! So we stopped with that :)

Ah, the difference a good ride can make to us navel-gazers.

Congrats! Those kinds of moments are what keep us going! :-)

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Not much of an update. I am STILL waiting for MY vet to call. She only got back yesterday and apparently was heavily booked, but..... Anyway, still waiting for a call, so no appointment, no ultrasound yet. He's still confined to stall and I haven't changed the bandage the on-call vet put on him Wednesday night because it still looks in good shape, He's neat and usually a non-destructive horse. HOWEVER....for a lighter moment....since he's stall confined, and this is a horse that ALWAYS goes outside to poop and pee, I have been cleaning the stall myself in the evening. Last night, I noted his water trough was getting low, so I dragged the hose over and started refilling it. He's been putting weight on the injured leg and walking fairly normally, but he gave a little "hop" while I was dragging the hose, so I thought, "Well, don't know when the vet will be out, so I think I'll give him some bute, since I had not rushed out in the morning yesterday to give it to him, hoping vet would see him yesterday. I left the trough filling, and rushed back to put 1g of bute in his evening feed,and when I got back he had pulled the hose out of the trough and flooded the front of his stall. Both LOL and SIGH. I pushed most of the water out and scraped some dry bedding over it, and everything was pretty much shipshape when I left, but really, Mark, what WERE you thinking??? (Damned smarta$$ Appies!)

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:51 am

My update is 2 lame horses, so BORING! Waiting for Norsey to grow his sole back, might put shoes and a pad on so I might be able to ride.

Ding went a bit funny on the weekend, I had him at a christmas comp on Sunday and I actually stopped him half way through the test. I didn't get much of a warm up because I went straight to the comp after a nightshift and he felt a bit odd then too. Both judges said he didn't look lame, but I wasn't convinced. Today, can't put his heel down, farrier suspects abscess. So I now have two horses with duct taped hooves (same foot) limping around the paddock.

Ripley looks so cute Sue B :) Moutaineer - yay for a good change! May you have many more!
Hot4Spots - cheeky Mark with the hose. Hope he is ok too.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:20 pm

Aleuronx - Wow what a beautiful indoor and yay for the trailer!

Mountaineer, that is awesome - what a good day.

Hot4Spots - dang goofy appy! :lol:

So the Cowpony and I are still pushing along. My instructor keeps doing different exercises to "see how he responds" - the ones he likes, we keep and I practice during the week, the rest we kinda toss out.

I want to share another exercise that is really helping us.

So in the 1-tempis, amongst the issues I've been working on was that periodically he'll stiffen and hollow about 5 changes in. I tried various things to no avail, but a few weeks ago she gave me an exercise that is causing a dramatic difference. I think it's probably a cousin to the piaffe exercise I described before, but basically it's combining working pirouettes with the changes. The Cowpony 100% understands the concept of the pirouettes, sitting and staying through in them (they're actually one of his best maneuvers). That is easy for him.

So exercise is, come through the corner, and do a working pirouette until he's jumping and through, then straighten and do changes, and then do another working pirouette at the end. The changes vary - maybe just one single change in the line, or maybe we're going to do 3 4s. Maybe 6 2s, maybe 3 2s and 2 1s. The pirouette at the end can be whatever direction, doesn't have to be a complete 360, you just work til he is jumping and through again, and also position yourself for another line.

The key is, the INSTANT I feel him start to tense in the changes, I change the subject and go to the pirouette, and let the bend of the pirouette fix and relax him, good boy. Then, as a bonus, the changes are so random he has to practice waiting for my cues (unlike, say, doing a line of 3s across one diagonal, then a line of 2s down the next diagonal, then a line of 1s -- he knows what's coming in that and wants to take over). And there is never a wrong answer in this exercise, because you just go on to the next line.

So he's relaxed a great deal - he gets very upset when he thinks he's "wrong" - and he's gotten better at waiting for me. The thing with reined cow horses is they have to partially do exactly what you say and partially they have to take over and just do the job (if he waits for me to tell him how to work the cow, we're going to be late - he just has to do it). So him listening to every command all the time has been a struggle for both of us, he so desperately wants to do the "hang on, boss, I got this!"

The most recent time I practiced this exercise, I did a line of 3s, then 2s with a few 1s thrown in at the end, and then we hammered out 11 1s, just as easy and relaxed as could be! :D Man I was so pleased, and for sure I quit on that!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:07 pm

That is so cool, Kelo! Thank you for sharing a great exercise.

Beautiful indoor, Aleuronx

SF, I hope both horses continue to move in a positive direction so you can ride in clinics and such next year

Yay for flying changes Moutaineer!

H4S, I have to guard the hose when I fill the trough if Tio is around. He not only likes to take it out of the tank and play with it, he likes to hose Rudy down as well! NOT Rudy's favorite game. :lol:

Flight, jingles lame horses are very temporary and that they'll be back full force within the week.

Blob, tossing on the flash quieted Tio's head immediately. He was tossing it (on lunge and under saddle) during warm-up when he was reluctant to be forward. Don't know why, but adding the flash stopped all that nonsense like, right now, and no more arguments about moving with a forward attitude. On the lunge, I could see that when he was head flinging he was also sometimes gaping his mouth or crossing his jaw or even lolling his tongue around. The flash is a bit big, so while it does not prevent him from opening his mouth, it does lift the bit and seems to keep it quiet. Going to have to experiment some more with different bits later on I think.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:15 pm

Latest news flash - vet had cancellation and is on her way to see Mark.

Well. Yes, he has reinjured the suspensory in a slightly different area. Vet didn't say, "You'll never be able to ride him again," so while his future as a riding horse remains limited, I think we will be able to get back to at least walking under saddle. However, he also managed to fracture the knob of the splint. I have to think now that the stumble was possibly a result of him hitting himself (usually he's not a klutz, but....). It's a not a supporting bone and nowhere near the joint, so painful but not critical.

I've been instructed to keep him wrapped for the next week or two. No more bute. Handwalk 5-10 minutes a day. He can have his paddock as long as he doesn't get stupid about it. Then reexamine in 6-8 weeks, unless he shows signs of distress before then.

Back to square one. :(

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:12 am

I'm very sorry to read of the health and weather challenges so many are having. I also can empathize with some of the training concerns that have been expressed of late. I hope that the holiday cheer will bring some relief and good things to all. We are still dealing with our 'waves' of rain. It seems like this year will be similar to last year's weekly rainy pattern which isn't really all that bad just adds to the workload due to the mud and having to keep Junior in when he's blanketed. I'm on my fifth day of dressage work AND trail riding in one day.....Junior is going to be so happy I have a 3 day marathon shift, mostly surgery starting tomorrow.

I had another lesson today after we did some trail work which gave me some homework to digest and practice. We've started our preparatory work for the flying changes. Junior is pretty well balanced at the counter canter though to the left (right lead canter) he will look for an excuse to break when I first try to collect; so, we do still have work there. However, I know Junior pretty well and having been down this path with his predecessors I told my coach that we need to prepare now for how we're going to introduce the changes to him because this guy is so balanced I'm going to have to be DEAD ON STRAIGHT AND NOT IN HIS WAY; otherwise, he's going to give me a pretty powerful middle hoof. I guess that's the down side of making them stronger and more powerful. So, today we went to work. We basically did canter-walk, walk-canter transitions every 5-6 strides around the arena. The focus was keeping him close to the rail and STRAIGHT through each transition. If Junior gave me any guff, I halted and did rein back, then picked up the exercise again. My goals were/are to keep him totally coming over his back and finishing all the way into the bridle through every transition no matter what. The hope is that if I can perfect the transitions and not give up the contact yet keep him powerful the changes should be at the swap of a leg. We'll see............My new arena lights have been installed just in time :)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:41 am

Oh wow, lots going on. Sorry to hear about the suspensory issue H4s. Wishing for the best for you and Mark. And Flight too, come on sole, grow!

Gosh exvet, I was just told that I should be preparing for flying changes by next year... um, yeah... not quite there yet.

We had a good clinic on the 23rd.  I was told to stop babying my horse and that when I ask him to move off my leg laterally, he should MOVE.  Guilty as charged.  Since we finally are making progress on our right lead canter transition difficulties, we can now work on the canter, as in transition, 4 strides and then trot, and repeat.  Same for the left lead.  He needs to build strength in the canter.  She was very pleased with the progress in his trot since June, he's regular and using his hind end.  We worked on 10 m circles to the right to help with getting him off that shoulder and gettting into the canter.  I watched the new videos as compared to the June videos and could see a change as well so, yay!  She really pushed us and it was a hard lesson but a good one. I can feel him much more honest in his bend, both directions, since then.
Attachments
_DSC5218.jpeg
_DSC5218.jpeg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 23424 times
_DSC4866.jpeg
_DSC4866.jpeg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 23424 times
_DSC5613.jpeg
_DSC5613.jpeg (79.22 KiB) Viewed 23424 times

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:42 am

And 2 more just because. DH calls the one a Toyota commercial. And the other one is because I love his face.
Attachments
_DSC4590 (1) - Edited.jpg
_DSC4590 (1) - Edited.jpg (137 KiB) Viewed 23424 times
_DSC4591.jpeg
_DSC4591.jpeg (55.86 KiB) Viewed 23424 times

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:47 am

As always, lots going on. Jingles to everyone dealing with lameness and illnesses.

I have been getting out to do something with Kyra about every other day. That schedule seems to work well with my various infirmities although I must say, I feel like the riding is helping my back. It was doing great until late September when I tweaked it a bit in cleaning up the house before painting (interior) and some mild sciatica came back (boo). But, I just keep battling on and like I said, riding seems to help. So that is great.

Kyra has been working wonderfully. I don't plan to do a lot with her this winter. Indoor footing is just not great for me to ride in (too deep) but so far, I have been able to ride outside. I just plan on working on the basics through the winter and when the ground freezes, that will mean in-hand and lunging in the indoor. I don't think we can go wrong with that. Currently, the weather is still allowing riding outside so I will do that until I can't.

The last two times I rode, the arena had just been groomed and apparently I am the only one riding? Anyway, when I went to do our circles, I noticed that she held the same line (and yes, they were actually round) both directions. Usually going left, she likes to drift out over the right shoulder but dang, there was just one set of footprints and I did go both directions. Today, I did trot/canter/trot/canter transitions on the circle and again, she very easily maintained her line. Transitions were very prompt and she had plenty of forward. I upped the difficulty of the exercise by having her do a half circle with a simple change in the middle. I was just trying it...to see if she was up to the challenge and she was. Very nice simple changes and clean strikeoffs with a small aid in the new direction. By the time we were done, we had drawn a very pretty pinwheel in the arena. About 3 weeks ago she was a distracted mess and I am guessing maybe transition heat? After that little episode subsided, I felt like I was having to 'peddle' a lot so I changed my warm-up to loose rein until she was warmed up and acquired the forwardness I am looking for then I could organize her without such a nagging leg. The last week she has been just right...really a joy to ride.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Lovely head shot, Chantal. He looks so calm, but alert. Here's my favorite headshot of Mark, which certainly show the contrast and his hyper-alertness. This was taken at his last show before his injury, almost four years ago. I call it "the DeNiro" - "You looking at me?!?"
Attachments
Mark - T he DiNiro.jpg
Mark - T he DiNiro.jpg (118.51 KiB) Viewed 23382 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Life has thrown a lot of distractions my way. Son diagnosed with MS and currently unable to walk, and frankly doing his and my barn work is exhausting. 14 inches of snow, no electricity meaning no water, so hauling in water in 7 gallon jugs, which are heavy!!!

We I caught up with my riding today, 5 horses, but I admit I did basics and just got them exercised. I rode through the fresh snow with some, it is darn pretty. Kimba was good, picked up her counter canter well. Caliburn the sword head was quite relaxed. All in all I had a good day. Maybe I should ride while exhausted more often.

It was nice to read updates, I hope the lame horses get better soon.

Be well everyone

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:19 am

(((Chisamba))) I am very sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:15 pm

Echoing Mari. Chisamba. How very worrying and exhausting for you and your son. I hope things take a turn for the better for him soon.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:51 am

Thinking of you and your son Chisamba. Sending you peace, love and strength.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:20 am

I hope M makes positive progress soon. So scary.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Sue B wrote:Blob, tossing on the flash quieted Tio's head immediately. He was tossing it (on lunge and under saddle) during warm-up when he was reluctant to be forward. Don't know why, but adding the flash stopped all that nonsense like, right now, and no more arguments about moving with a forward attitude. On the lunge, I could see that when he was head flinging he was also sometimes gaping his mouth or crossing his jaw or even lolling his tongue around. The flash is a bit big, so while it does not prevent him from opening his mouth, it does lift the bit and seems to keep it quiet. Going to have to experiment some more with different bits later on I think.

Hmmm interesting--RP goes in a drop noseband, which is designed to keep the bit quiet and prevent jaw crossing and I haven't noticed any major mouth opening. However, trying a flash is certainly easy enough.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:49 am

My horse's breeder puts drops on all her horses. I haven't gone there with Mikey yet. We had a poles clinic yesterday which challenged our cantering skills. Trotting was great but I wasn't good with the YES to his questioning if he had to canter over the poles, and 2 of them at that. We did get our right lead 8 times out of 10 and pushed through him wanting to drop out of the canter.

My favorite picture of the day... (Grammy gave him a Santa hat :lol:)
Attachments
SantaMikey.jpg
Santa Mikey
SantaMikey.jpg (111.41 KiB) Viewed 23137 times

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:47 pm

This has been a rough year for both people and horses. I hope that 2020 brings better things, soundness and wellness.

For me, I'm hoping that is exactly the case. I appear to be sound - in that I'm riding pain free (just very gingerly) and I don't seem to have too much fallout afterwards. I still get the odd flare up after PT or sometimes after riding, but by and large, I feel good again. What is incredibly frustrating to me now is that I have a lot of ground to make up. I know it will come back - but I lost a lot of riding fitness and I'm being so careful that things are just not the way I want them. I need to keep in perspective that just a few months ago, I wasn't even able to ride, and I was in considerable pain. But dammit, I didn't want to have to work on keeping my legs under me and my shoulders back again. I want to pick up where I left off. Which is unrealistic and unreasonable, but doesn't make me mourn the ability loss any less. And there again, I need a reminder of what others are going through and where I was not that long ago. That I'm back in the saddle and feeling like even a shadow of myself is a blessing. Thank goodness Andrea has horses that are tolerant and comfortable for me to rehab on. The PT is one component, on horse is another. Here I am riding her young horse Trig. I've only recently begun to be able to ride him, as he has that typical warmblood cadence and suspension that really irritated my hip up until a few weeks ago. But, he's generous enough that I can keep him in a pony trot and get used to absorbing that motion again. These are from a video clip, that I have on FB, but for some reason I can't get it to cooperate on here.
Trig1.JPG
Trig1.JPG (97.22 KiB) Viewed 23004 times

Trig2.jpg
Trig2.jpg (166.65 KiB) Viewed 23004 times

Trig3.jpg
Trig3.jpg (165.23 KiB) Viewed 23004 times

^my pups are so big!! They never stop watching me when I'm riding :D

For Miro, he's sound as well, 3 months back under saddle and while there was one week where we thought he had reinjured himself in his paddock (I swear he will never be turned out again), he's doing well and looking amazing. I got to sit on him last weekend and he feels amazing too. He also has a lot of strength to make up and it will be a while before we can push things again to deal with some of the stiffness in the bridle that is coming from the time off and lack of strength - but when you watch him, he looks like he hasn't lost any bit of ground. Our big, audacious goal for him to to be able to compete 4th level next year. His health, soundness and wellness is more important than anything, so we are not pushing - but he knows all the movements (except the changes which we had just gotten our first clean changes before he injured himself), so training-wise, it's not unthinkable - it's how quickly he regains strength and how quickly he decides to stop trying to buck Andrea off at least once every ride. :evil: :roll: So the plan with him is that he remains in training with Andrea until he is back to where he was before the injury and then I take it from there so I am still able to train him myself.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Well the past few weeks have not been filled with much riding. First 19-23 November I had a dance event so was at the theatre every night until after 11. Then I managed to injured my foot the last day (Literally during the last show) so was out for another week. I had a jumping lesson last weekend and a dressage lesson. Both went awesome, only for us to now have had non-stop rain for the last week. We don't have an indoor where I stable and the roads are too dangerous at the moment to get out to Delilah. I was planning on taking her on Sunday to a small jumping show but that has now been postponed due to the amount of rain we've had the past few days.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Nice to see you back in the saddle, Dresseur. It's horrifying how quickly we lose condition, and it gets worse as you get older, I'm afraid.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:37 am

Jingles for your son, Chisamba.

Chantal, cute pic of Mikey!

Dresseur, glad you are back in the saddle. It sounds like you and Miro are on a similar track to be ready to work together again soon. From the pics I'd never know that you've had such a long break.

Annabelle had a setback, which I am crossing my fingers is only temporary, especially because it was all due to me having a total brain fart. Last Monday, I had to go out of town for work, so I worked her quickly in the morning, and then ran off to catch my plane, and forgot to take her SMBs off in my rush. The BO thought I'd intended to leave them on, so she wore them until I got home Friday night. :eek: Her legs looked OK, so I rode, but the next morning the old swelling around her DDFT injury was back. I've been wrapping and icing and handwalking all weekend, and it is looking much better, but still throwing off more heat than I would like. Super frustrating, and underlines how acute this injury still is, 6 months out. Her other leg that was booted all weekend is completely fine. Argh.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Dresseur--you and Trig look great together. Glad you and Miro are both on the up and up.

Straightforward--fingers crossed the setback is very minor and it's swelling more than pain. it's tough when injuries are still at the stage where small things can cause little flares.

Chisambe--Hope you and M are getting more answers. I have been thinking of you both.

I had my first lesson in AGES on Sunday on MM. We worked on getting her to engage her lumbar more. She has an active hind end, but often disconnects her lower back making is so that when I ask for more she hops up in the shoulder instead of powering through behind. We did a lot of transitions on a circle from shoulder in to haunches in the trot and then in the canter from shoulder fore to haunches in. I have a tendency to ride the haunches out when riding a shoulder in/shoulder fore. So we focused on me riding those transitions really clearly so that in shoulder in, i was actually moving the shoulder and in haunches in i was moving the haunches.
We also worked on a HP exercise at the walk that he'd like me to do in the canter, but wanted me to get the feel for it in the walk. I'd start in regular half pass and then ask for a few strides where the haunches led and then go back to correct alignment for a few strides and again ask for a few strides where the haunches led. Getting MM to lead with the haunches is easy, but straightening her back out afterward was the hard part.

RP is still with his head tossing. It's frustrating because inbetween he is giving me really good work and then for no reason he will start tossing, we'll work through it and he'll go back to good work and then back to head tossing. The people i bought him from had him in a standing martingale, which seemed really unnecessary. But now I'm wondering if this tossing is an old habit that he has remembered again. Either way, i've made a dentist appointment for him, so we can make sure nothing is going on there.

And just for fun, pictures of the two:
Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 4.50.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 4.50.47 PM.png (216.51 KiB) Viewed 22904 times
Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 7.30.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 7.30.29 PM.png (252.8 KiB) Viewed 22904 times

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Great to see you back in the saddle, Dresseur. Fingers crossed that it's nothing but UP from here on!

Oh NO, SF Jingles Annabelle recovers quickly. Dang that leg is so touchy.

Great pictures, Blob and good idea about having RP visit the dentist. My Tio will be going over Christmas break too! I originally rode T in a drop but switched to a plain cavesson. The drop didn't fit him as well as I would've liked, so that's why i went with the flash this time.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Blob, RP is adorable. I hope you can see how much he has changed and filled out. Sometimes we don't notice when we see them everyday, but he is looking like a little hunk now. Maybe have the vet check his ears too, when he's in for his dental?

Annabelle's leg was looking a lot better this morning. I did 10 minutes of trot and 20 minutes walk under saddle. Will keep a standing wrap on it 12 hours a day and ice twice a day for the rest of the week, but at least she seems sound on it. This is not helping me free up more time to work with Tesla, so she is on the back burner.

On the up side, I'm weaning Annabelle off Reserpine in favor of an OTC supplement called Tranquility. It seems to be working quite nicely - she's not nearly as reactive, and doesn't feel as dopey. If we ever get back to showing, I might put her on it for a while to get her past her show nerves, since I think that is how she injured herself to begin with.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 pm

Sue and Blob - re bits: As I always have with younger horses, I started Mark (and Erik before him) in a loose ring, double-jointed snaffle. I had some issues with connection with both horses. When they had passed the green stage, some of that remained, and I tried a double jointed Baucher and both really liked it and stopped fussing. Just my two cents. I particularly like the Stuebben version on which the top ring is slightly bent outward so it doesn't pinch. It's the bit in that head shot I posted above.

On another issues - anyone want to psychoanalyze Mark? LOL He leads quietly to the arena/grooming area. Stands quietly while I unwrap the
leg(s), groom and generally fuss over him, tho he occasionally gets high-headed and stares across the creek on the far side of the arena and at the properties on the other side. They are shielded by trees, but I know - and obviously he knows - that there are turkeys, a sheep, and a llama over there, barely visible, if at all, through the trees. Then one day he will plod by my side as we hand walk, and the next day he's a whirling dervish, embellishing it with a few Hi-yo, Silvers! This horse is frickin' FIFTEEN. Isn't it time for him to settle down? Sigh. I know, it's just him and he's always going to be like this. Oh well, he's very decorative and has a BIG personality. We shall carry on. Six-eight weeks of hand walking, then vet check, maybe back to walking under saddle.

Return to “Dressage Training”