PSI Auction Catalogue - who's your pick?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Linden
Herd Member

PSI Auction Catalogue - who's your pick?

Postby Linden » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 am

So the auction is coming up here pretty quick - https://psi-auktion.de/ger/p.s.i.-auktion/p.s.i.-auktion-2019/dressurpferde/

I love going through the catalogue and pretending I am going shopping. If you had unlimited funds, who would be your top 3?
"Fix things going forward." LR

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Re: PSI Auction Catalogue - who's your pick?

Postby Dresseur » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:09 am

7, the stallion by Morricone. That line is amazing, really love that stallion.

24, I like Sir Donnerhall on the mare line, really like Bordeaux- although this horse has the flatter Bordeaux croup, I love the way it uses itself.

26, not because of Totilas, but because of the Don Gregory. The temperament that seems to come out of him and his son, Sir Gregory is phenomenal and the sit and movement is phenomenal as well.

I also liked the mare by Don Gregory- #3 I think... but she seemed a tad too comfortable going big and long. In my head, I could see that being problematic later on.

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby demi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 pm

So hard to decide :lol:

#1 Saniola. Because I think she is stunning. I will give her to my trainer because I think they will make a stunning pair.

# 12 Belle Petit. For me, because she looks smaller and I want to ride her. Her canter looks like the kind of canter I like to ride, as in not too big. Plus, I really, really like her.

#16 Ferdinand. Again, for my trainer. He is a lovely gelding and her two favorite horses of her own breeding program are by Fursetnball. She loves their temperament, which is not only nice, but also very good for taking to competitions.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:01 pm

I don't have time to look at all of them, but I like Gin Tonic (#13) and Brisbane (#24) the most of the ones I looked at. I don't like it when there is that moment of float or hesitation in the hind leg when the hock is flexed. These two seem to come through in more of a seamless motion, which in my mind sets them up better for developing carrying power.

Let me just get my checkbook... :D
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:03 pm

I want #24 for an eventer :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Someone once told me that you don't ever want to buy from these big auctions. The horses are young and pushed hard to show that kind of movement. So, they struggle with soundness in their later lives.
Nontheless, they are gorgeous to look at.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:14 pm

#26 - Today's Hit > that trot for a 4 yr old, incredible. Just wow.
Last edited by Linden on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Chancellor wrote:Someone once told me that you don't ever want to buy from these big auctions. The horses are young and pushed hard to show that kind of movement. So, they struggle with soundness in their later lives.

Mine came from the Verden Auction. So far problem free. But, one of my big clients bought a top-priced PSI horse and when it got back to the USA it *never* had a rideable day in it's life. Even Harry Boldt got on it and couldn't make it go. Gorgeous horse, but completely ruined.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Linden wrote:
Chancellor wrote:Someone once told me that you don't ever want to buy from these big auctions. The horses are young and pushed hard to show that kind of movement. So, they struggle with soundness in their later lives.

Mine came from the Verden Auction. So far problem free. But, one of my big clients bought a top-priced PSI horse and when it got back to the USA it *never* had a rideable day in it's life. Even Harry Boldt got on it and couldn't make it go. Gorgeous horse, but completely ruined.

Horses in general are a crap shoot! I guess you just never know!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Chancellor wrote:
Linden wrote:

But wait!! We have unlimited funds! If the three horses I pick have any problems, I’ll retire them to my luxury ranch with their own groom/care person and buy another!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:32 pm

demi wrote:
Chancellor wrote:
Linden wrote:

But wait!! We have unlimited funds! If the three horses I pick have any problems, I’ll retire them to my luxury ranch with their own groom/care person and buy another!

Oh well, yeah, that goes without saying! Also, if they have problems, we can afford to treat them with the best medicine money can buy!

Well, if I have unlimited funds, I am going to the Spanish Riding school and buying one of those!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Truth be told I probably wouldn't pass on any one of them that were 16.3 or under. :mrgreen: I don't want something 17h or bigger. That's just so much horse to deal with!

Seriously though, when I am looking at quality horses, I care less about movement and mechanics and conformation than I care about temperament. I get my breeder friends to give me the scoop on the temperaments on both top and bottom. That makes it sounds like I routinely shop for quality horse. For the sake of clarity, I have bought exactly one quality horse, and so far that's working out well for me (touch wood). I will use the same method when buying my next horse. :D

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Return to “Dressage Training”