New year, new goals! Jan/Feb 2020

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Dresseur
500 post plus club

New year, new goals! Jan/Feb 2020

Postby Dresseur » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:21 pm

I’m finally back! What are your 2 month goals in the new year?

Mine are to get back my riding fitness. Currently I can ride 3 horses for about 30 minutes. But my shoulders are rounded again, and I really struggle in the canter because I don’t have a great anchor yet because my adductors are so weak. So each time I try to get one more canter circle on each horse than the time before, before it all falls to pieces. I’m struggling with not trying to do more. Each ride I have to remind myself to be patient and work on the basics. I didn’t forget how to do the tricks. It’ll all come back.

Miro is schooling a single change, and doing 2 of everything (si, hi, r, hp). He’s back without a hint of an issue. What is in the glaring spotlight is the difference between what I got from him and what Andrea created in him. He feels like an FEI horse in terms of connection and power. I never rode him up like that. He’s cadenced, powerful, forward and connected and he’s not even strong yet. Any issue I had with him is gone. That’s what 20 years of creating GP horses gets you. Sigh.

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: New year, new goals! Jan/Feb 2020

Postby exvet » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Now that we're finally drying out after two months of significant rain, I hope to fix my footing so that we can start using my arena more, riding at night so that I can finally ride 5-6 days a week. Currently I just ride on my days off; so basically just 4 days a week which includes my weekly lesson.

For the next two months I'll be focusing on using my body a bit differently (since my last lesson) to really help Junior collect the canter. My riding instructor had me think a little differently on how to use my thighs in a way that keeps Junior moving forward yet gaining more lift up through his withers. Ironically the feel for me is much like how I used my body years and years ago when I was doing mostly jumping; so, it's a more natural feel for me. I can only equate it to how I used my own biomechanics to ride a horse to a specific take off spot. Definitely not a driving seat but more of a rebalancing and lifting aspect to my seat and without question or even thinking, keeping the power of the hind end coming over the back into the hand achieving that gorgeous bascule over the fence. IOW, maintaining the connection while directing the power without blocking the horse - hope that makes sense.

I plan to continue to work on the simple changes so that we are able to introduce the flying changes without issue in due time. Junior is getting better about sorting out my specific requests to use himself correctly during the transitions. The individual movements at second level really do not appear to be presenting Junior a lot of difficulty and he definitely is becoming more and more engaged. I hope to continue to build his strength without causing the wrong type of tension. In order to get more outside opinions on whether or not we're moving in the right direction, we plan to compete in a recognized show in February. It is a one-day show; so, we'll be riding Second Level tests 1 & 2.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:10 pm

Fingers crossed this will be the last 2-month period of regimented rehab work for Annabelle. About a month ago I switched her from Reserpine to a calming supplement called Tranquility, and it is working so much better. Instead of a calm veneer with a hair trigger under it, she seems more in control of her emotions, and so she is much more rideable now. I've just started adding in a couple T/C transitions each ride, so goal will be to get those better, and achieve a balanced, controlled canter. Keep the hind legs under and continue with suppling and posture work in hand and under saddle so that she's in a good place to get back to "real" work in the spring.

Ritter's What, Why How course has just started up again, so I will be trying to follow along as best I can within the bounds of what Annabelle is currently allowed to do. So probably riding patterns mostly at the walk.

Tesla - I just need to work with her! I've been so focused on Annabelle that she is not getting enough of my time. I need to commit to at least 3x a week of in-hand or long-lining with her. 4 days would be better.

Self: Gym 2x a week and run 7 miles per week. Walk the dog on days I don't workout, and walk at lunch weather permitting.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Rolling back to win/misses from last section:

Field Hacking and hillwork before the snow flies Mostly miss: Wish I had been able to do more of this but it got icy gross here quite quickly. I might mandate myself a cool down hack around farm each ride come spring.
Introduce baby leg yield/shoulder-in Win: moreso leg yield than shoulder-in but we touched upon both and getting good reactions.
Progress to an immobile halt Solid win: I've been incorporating at least 3 halt/salutes in most rides as I can which has been huge. We can now halt quietly and wait to move forward.
Continue to encourage stretchy forward/down/out trotwork Also solid win: Did a great working set this Sunday with the best down and out stretchy trot yet!
Survive butt high baby syndrome!! Thank the heavens yes!! It wasn't pretty and it wasn't quick but she feels much better now than she did when I made this a goal.

Jan/Feb is depth of winter for us, extreme cold and nasty weather can make for tough consistency and survival-based riding. So I'm keeping things easy. Trainer comes for our first winter clinic on the 12th so I'm looking forward to our next steps from that. Otherwise it's just survive till April.

Goals:
Trot poles/cavaletti once a week
Built on halt to square and not octopus centerline
Continue to encourage stretchy forward/down/out trotwork
Clicker/treat train her to smile

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Well, I think the start of the 2 months will be slow for me due to the bushfire smoke that is affecting us here. I don't mind it affecting me (although it isn't comfortable), but I really can't exercise the horses in it.

My goals will be consolidating Norsey's changes.
I've been reading Gustav Steinbrecht's book and I wish I'd read it earlier. It's been really helpful for me getting especially Ding, more through and using his hindlegs and back more. When he does this, and I have really ask him to try, the contact sorts itself right out and he is no longer leaning or behind the bit etc. It's been quite amazing when I get the feeling. My soloshot died which is very unhelpful - I probably overworked it - so I hope I'm on the right track with what I'm feeling vs what i would be seeing. So, I'll keep working on this.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:31 am

I mentioned this briefly in the 2020 goals. But one thing I'd really like to do more of is have more of a week by week/ride by ride game plan. Growing up I rode at a barn where each week intermediate and advanced students more or less focused on a particular exercise (adapted for experience/skill level). We were required at least 2 rides per week, so it gave us time to use the exercise a couple times. The following week, we would have a different focus. It was a bit of a rigid system, but I think there was something really beneficial in trusting in an exercise to advance the rider, horse, and the partnership and to give yourself multiple rides to focus. I spent so much of my time after that barn breaking young horses and then work is very linear and straightforward, it's also a time when big training changes happen very quickly. And so I got used to following a linear progression, but really allowing the horse to dictate how and when I moved to the next step. Now, I think I tend to either be hyper focused on something (changes) or I tend to try to fit in as much as I can in one ride in stead of focusing on 1 or 2 things. So, I'm going to try to find the right balance of structure yet flexibility, esp for MM who is honestly mostly game for whatever whenever.

Other goals:
--Figure out what's going on with RP's head tossing and get it sorted (he's had teeth done, ulcers checked, tomorrow is the saddle fitter, and then this weekend bodywork--may not be physical, but want to make sure I can rule it all out)
--Get some trailer loading time in with MM
--Finally get my saddle with MM fixed (it's still not right...siiighhhh)

There's a chance i might be able to go for a clinic in Feb, but still TBD if there are spots available. If I go, I will almost certainly take MM if we've solved trailer issues.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:29 am

Blob, interesting. I can understand how that structured environment could be quite helpful. I tend to think I know what I'm doing and how to make progress, but do I really at the level I'm currently working at outside of a lesson environment? Probably more likely I'm fumbling around in the dark occasionally coming across the light switch.

I think my biggest goal this next period is just to make time to ride consistently enough to maintain our level of fitness, and keep up with lessons, with everything else going on in my life combined with the cold and general endless weary winteriness of January and February.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:45 am

Weather permitting, start Jet's structured rehab from his suspensory ligament injury with exercise under saddle (walk only, very slowly increasing over weeks). I chose to keep him at home (no indoor) so getting him out for straight-line walks (down the road) will depend entirely on the footing. I've decided that if he ends up just hanging out in his very small paddock/stall that I made for him and doesn't get much structured rehab through the winter, that's ok. I can get him going again in the early spring if that happens. Happily, he is paddock sound with cold legs and no swelling, and has been for the last 6 weeks or more.

Because of Jet's injury in the fall and Panache's death last summer, the only ridden horse I have to work with now is Finn. He's doing remarkably well since his horrible shoulder injury has fully healed. He did reopen the scar at the point of his shoulder but I think that was a separate cut that just coincidentally crossed the scar because there was a scratch running perpendicular to the scar, too. Once that healed, he then went on to break out of his stall at the boarding facility I have him at and he found the feed room. When he was found by the BO, he had eaten about 1/4 of a garbage pail of grain (his own, at least). After having his stomach tubed, he recovered without incident. But GEEZ Finn, QUIT WITH THE DEATH/INJURY WISH!!!

Anyway, the work I've been doing with him has been very promising. He's still very green for his age (rising 6), but he has a ton of potential. My FEI coach feels that he has more talent than any of my previous horse, and has enough good movement to lend itself to a promising dressage career. I've just had a saddle fitting done and I'm waiting for the saddle to arrive (Amerigo Cortina). Finn has considerable scapular assymetry post-injury so I'll have to use a shim until he develops those shoulder muscles again (he already has come a long way in a short time in that regard).

So, goals for Jan-Feb 2020:
Jet: gradual rehab with the emphasis on staying sound and staying safe.
Finn: keep on reconditioning him, and aim for relaxation in all 3 gaits as he can get a bit rushy when he loses balance then reacts to that by tensing up.
Me: ride at least 2x weekly during the worst of the upcoming winter, and keep going with the very gradual wt loss I've been working on.
Youngstock (weanling Hano x Hano/TB filly, Pippa; long yearling Hano x Shire filly, Eowyn, and 3 yr old Josey, my new mule): formal groundwork 1-2x weekly and regular handling otherwise which I tend to do during/after chores.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:12 am

More than 20 years ago, Gosh it was probably 30 years ago, I attended a series of clinics by Major Anders Lindgren. https://horsesdaily.com/article/major-a ... n-dressage

The clinic was transformative mostly from the perspective of instruction, but also riding. One of his keys to successful teaching was finding out the riders goals then designing a lesson with warm up, addressing goals, and finishing on a good note. I have used this ever since, in teaching and riding.

But I have had a bit of an epiphany the problem is not in making goals , but it can be in what goals I make.

So this month the goal is happiness. Happy progress.

I want to be able to do everything we do with a consistent happy connection. Happy for me, happy for the horse, I dont want my joy only to be at what we accomplish, but how we accomplish it.

And oh, I want to happily do third level. Lol.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:04 pm

I love these threads, despite having sat out for the last two. Self-imposed work-related dressage exile.

But I'm back in the saddle, literally and figuratively, and have had 2 solid weeks off work to get re-centered. Things we're working on:

Kiwi:
- Relaxed posture even when the work is tougher (lots of stretching moments after pirouette canter and/or half pass work to maintain honest connection)
- Sitting all the trots after warmup (20 min/ride)
- Working without stirrups (that re-centering thing is a bit literal... we've both gotten a bit crooked in our intermittent real work)
- Ride 4x/week

Queso:
- Solidify the connection to the bridle and aim for 1st/2nd lvl connection
- Trot work on quarterlines to improve the young-horse-wiggles
- Trot/canter transitions: increase frequency on circles (2x per 20 m, 3x per 20 m, etc.) and begin transition work on straight lines.
- Introduce flying changes (we've tried two and both have been successful, but...). Already has a very reliable single loop and baby counter canter; I want to toss a change in there before the counter canter gets too established.
- Ride 4x/week

Me:
- Work out 5x/week (4:45am workouts before work have been surprisingly effective at starting my day out right)
- Ride 4x/week
- Journal progress

Best of luck to all those rehabbing themselves and/or horses.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:35 pm

My last day of holidays and smoke is the worst yet! My area has the worst air quality in the world currently. Feeling sorry for the horses having to be outside in it. Norsey is a bit out of sorts, always on the lookout so it must be unsettling for them.
I'm not in a fire prone area, and my place should be easily defendable but we have our fire pump/hoses, keeping the battery full to work the house pumps etc ready just in case.
Looks like this could go on for weeks, so the horses are getting an inadvertent holiday.

smokedays.jpg
smokedays.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 24616 times

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:46 am

Oh, Chisamba, I got to attend/ride in/be part of two instructor's seminars with Lindgren. By then he had mellowed some, so he wasn't as tough as he used to be. I remember lots of exercises for everything.

Flight, I'm glad you're safe. I ride no matter what, always. Two years ago the fires were so bad (from the Camp Fire and others) I didn't ride for over two weeks. We could not see as far as the trees in your picture, and then it get really bad before it finally rained. I didn't notice any long term affects with myself or the horses, so you horses should be OK.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:57 am

Glad there were no long term effects but when the air quality is several times higher than hazardous (over 300 is hazardous and we've had readings of up to 7700) I wont be riding my horses!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:24 pm

Flight wrote:Glad there were no long term effects but when the air quality is several times higher than hazardous (over 300 is hazardous and we've had readings of up to 7700) I wont be riding my horses!

Of course. You should not ride, as I did not. It felt bad to be outside. I didn't wear a mask because it wouldn't have done much good, but I wanted to to just keep the crap out of my lungs. I didn't want to do anything that would require heavy breathing, and sure didn't want the horses to, either. It took several weeks to get the feeling of the crap out of my lungs once it rained.

I think we were at 200-250 for several weeks, 200 miles south of the big fire, and then for about four days it was between 300 and 350. Those in the area were probably well over 300 the whole time.

I'm not sure what the 7700 means. Bad air here only goes to 500. Maybe some different things there.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49 pm

Yep, that's what I'm doing - no heavy breathing :) The air is better at 608 this morning. It's the same scale AQI.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:18 pm

Flight wrote:Yep, that's what I'm doing - no heavy breathing :) The air is better at 608 this morning. It's the same scale AQI.

Yeah. Even walking up a slight incline was bad. Throat was always sour feeling.

This is what I could find on AQI. It says the 7700 in Canbera is equal to 568 . https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -shut-down That is really bad. Your fires are just unending and anywhere. I hope there is some chance of rain.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:48 pm

It's 568 in middle of Canberra today, it's been up to 7700. It's not good! We've had a bit of rain but not enough to extinguish and they say they it will keep burning for a while.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 pm

Flight, my thoughts are with you and moreso your areas in the AUS that are really suffering. It is just terrible for humans and animals. Smart to just take it easy and survive.

I am dealing with doggy rehab (post CCL tear and surgery) so am totally time pressed this session. So my main goal is to keep Emi fairly fit given weather and my drop to maybe 4 works per week instead of 5. I've started doing more timed sessions (ex. 2 x 10 minute trots today plus walking to and from working field) to help us stay focussed but also relaxed with work. I have to do these timed sessions for the pointer, so why not for the horse?!

I look forward to everyone's updates and reports. Dresseur, I'm so happy for you that you are back in the saddle and also super impressed with your horse's development! Very cool.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:05 am

Thank you Piedmont! M is doing really well... 6 clean changes yesterday!! I may have spoken too soon for myself. I’m in the middle of a major flare up. Am hoping it settles soon and I can keep rehabbing.

Flight, stay safe. What’s being portrayed in the media and social looks horrific.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:39 pm

Wow, Dresseur--sounds like M is doing really well. Hoping your flare has died down and that you are back in the saddle soon.
Flight--hope you and your crew get some relief soon. What an awful situation.

MM has been out of commission for a week or so with a strange infection (there's a thread about it in the veterinary forum complete with pictures). Thankfully it seems to be mostly healed/under control. hoping to start riding her again this weekend. Her saddle is back after being adjusted yet again. Really hoping this time she and I are both happy in it.

I had a really useful lesson on RP with my trainer last weekend. I've felt for some time that he has moments when he is reluctant to step through with his right hind and then he gets fussy. My trainer confirmed it was not wanting to use the right hind, that was causing the fussiness, but he had me approach it slightly differently. He had me make sure I was keeping my right rein really consistent as the half-halt rein in both directions and to keep giving left rein forward as much as possible. Trainer saw that he was getting away with not using the right hind by leaning into the left side and letting me carry him a bit. I was feeling a stiffer left rein and wanting to soften it, but that was just making it even easier for him to hang on to me. So, he wanted me to keep giving the left hand forward so that RP would have to hold himself up and utilize that right hind a bit more. It resulted in some really nice work. And once he had straightened himself out some, he felt consistent and even between the aids.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:51 pm

Dresseur, you'll have to get some vid/pics of Miro! Would love to see him. Sorry that you're unsound at the moment though!

That sounds really interesting Blob, I remember at a clinic watching a horse that would lean over his left leg and I didn't notice until it was pointed out just how much he was leaning over the left front and how much he had it under his body.
Interestingly, in that Steinbrecht book I was reading, he mentioned that many horses are weaker on their right hinds and consequently have injuries to their left fore.

Here's some vid of Norsey. I've been trying to ride a bit in the smokey air, because it's going to be hanging around for quite a while. Norsey's changes are getting more reliable. I have to say I'm so relieved that the left to rights are mostly good now. They only tend to be short behind and not late. I never thought I'd be able to fix it. He doesn't leap or buck or piss off anymore either, which is very nice. It's taken me over a year.
My arena has quite a slope on it, but I have to do them so I can see in the mirror if they are clean or not, which means they are on the downhill which isn't great. But I am very happy with him, he tries hard to get it right.

https://youtu.be/gDkCac0XJFE
Last edited by Flight on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:11 am

Yep, we have to watch for that right hind/left fore thing, too.

My rides have not been frequent recently, but I feel that we have been making the most of them. If anything, Laddie feels fresher, straighter and more collected for being ridden fewer times a week, which is food for thought... however, if we are to progress in a timely fashion (i.e. before we are both dead) we need to add an extra ride or so a week in--that will happen in time, but it's hard when you are fighting the weather and roads as well as the rest of life. A big snowstorm over the next few days will probably cramp our style a bit.

Worrying about all my Australian friends and relations. What you are going through is unimaginably dreadful. I haven't watched the change video yet, Flight, but I will!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:10 pm

My heart too goes out to all those battling wild fires. Having been through evacuations and the like I can empathize with the stress, loss and devastation of it all. Keep safe.

Junior and I have been building up his stamina in preparation of our schooling show this coming Saturday. I've been riding at night after work and during the days that I can ride we've been doing a dressage schooling session and 4-5 mile trail rides. Hopefully we'll be able to get through both second level tests without losing too much gas/forward. My instructor left over a week ago to compete at the Global; so, I'm hoping to get video of our rides that she can review later. This will be our first time riding second level test 2..............

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Flight, it is great to see your progress. It is really helpful perspective, especially given the time it took to get to this consistency and calm. Well done!

I was watching some DT online videos this weekend, including a bunch of Ali Brock's teaching. With one very fancy, sensitive mare and maybe a newer to the mare rider (who was still figuring her out), it struck me how important it was for the rider to manage the mare's tending to swing a hind out (esp. the right) instead of under when anything got harder. I have to manage this, too, so it was very helpful to watch Brock coach the rider through this. Makes me feel a bit better about our struggles!

An exercise I've been playing with to help with this is kind of a warped half pass at the walk (I've seen it called "traversee" but I don't know if that is correct--I'm sure somewhere here knows better). Basically, I have the horse in position and then go to haunches in to a full pass in haunches in, keeping the positioning. It really bends Emi into a "C" and also gets her moving off the outside leg. I go several strides over, then change to half pass for a few strides, then back to walk, then change direction. It seems to be a useful warm up took for us to organize the right hind and check reactions. I realized after watching the Brock video that she was using a similar technique (lots of haunches in at all gaits) to get the mare into a "C" shape and to put the outside hind under the mare's center.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Flight, super helpful to see your progress with Norsey's changes. MM and I have been struggling to make our L-R change clean and consistent. The R-L has been there for some time, the other one is always obedient, but not usually clean. So, it's encouraging to see that you and Norsey got to a good place. I'm still trying to find the right exercise or set up that helps crack through some of the challenges.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:54 pm

You know how puppies go through a fear period from 4-6 months of age? Well that's the kinda hell we are in right now. It was good timing for my trainer to be up as I didn't know whether I was handholding too much or not enough or what. Answer is handholding, 100% of the time, don't let the toddler cross the street alone. Point taken.

It was good as there were LOTS of people auditing to worry about but we also got our standard w/t/c work done as well. It also encouraged adorably hilarious photos like this:
vogue.jpg
vogue.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 24264 times

canter.jpg
canter.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 24264 times

Our homework and life going forward, Be proactive not reactive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnhBh_dPh4

We're staring down some bad winter snow and frigid temperatures so my riding will be stifled a bit in the next week or so. Attempted to get a ride in last night but black ice on the roads caused me to head straight home instead, took me 2x as long to get there as normal and was not fun sliding all around the road. Ugh. So we'll do our best to get rides in as we can.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:35 am

It's been spectacularly fabulous weather for January. After every rude Kimba and I go around our trail. Today it was high winds and cold so I had the indoor closed. Once I gave Kimba a free rein, she marched over to the closed door and and was indignant when I didn't open it. :D

I usually think if January and February as the barren months. Like the trees, no new growth, but we work on the roots, once our roots are even stronger. They can easily support the new growth in the spring. With that in mind, we are working on maintaining contact more evenly and suppleness on the stiff side, and strength on the supple side. Kimb as tends to think she knows what is happening next, so learning to wait to be asked is also a key component.

I am also pretty busy bringing Caliburn along and with some other high rehab, icing handwalking and riding client horses.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:40 pm

As of this morning, Annabelle is cantering 2 circles each direction (I try to make them ovals, but we take what we can get at this stage). It takes her a while to get organized once she realizes I'm going to ask her to canter, but we get a couple better transitions, and she actually let go enough to blow a few times on the left lead canter today. She is slowly remembering that she has hind legs, but it's a process of reminding her for the first half of every ride. We are doing a lot of walk lateral work. She is still fussy at the beginning of trot work and I have to be careful to nurture the forward flow, so I'm not working through the Ritter Course exercises just yet. I think in a few weeks, when the arena thaws and it's getting light a little earlier so we can ride outdoors, things will get better. We're both ring sour and the indoor is kind of small.

I'm struggling to find adequate time to work with Tesla, but we are doing some, and she is getting better and in-hand work. Her new AP saddle just arrived (a like-new Albion K2). I'm hoping I can ride Annabelle in it for a few weeks to get used to it and maybe practice my 2-point.

Fitness is going well; I missed my mid-week run due to ice this week, but my endurance is slowly coming back, and I'm fairly content with where I am core strength-wise, though I might decide to up the ante once I start riding the big baby.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Just checking in. Still hand-walking after the minor splint fracture and reinjury to suspensory. *sigh* He's reached the "I'm so bored I'm going to bite you" stage (when he isn't doing a hi-yo Silver imitation.) I just hang on and think, "well the damn leg can't hurt THAT much if you want to bound around on it like that!" Vet appt. 1/23. Hoping I'll be able to start walking him under saddle.

I've had my current job since March (after being at previous job for 9 years). But it looks like it may disintegrate...employer is suffering health and financial issues that may force his early retirement. May have to make a decision by the end of the month. Not looking forward to doing temp-to-hire again.;0(
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:35 pm

H4S, jingles for the employment situation!

As for Mark playing up, I'll say Tranquility has been a real game-changer for Annabelle. I am sooo glad it was suggested to me. I haven't had to Ace her at all since starting her on it, and both our stress levels have decreased big-time. I'm planning to keep her on it until she's back on regular turnout. https://www.depaoloequineconcepts.com/p ... ranquility
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:50 pm

"New" saddle-check (traded in 29 yo KN symphonie for slightly wider less used 28 yo KN Symphonie and had it completely reflocked with natural wool, working for now.

New bit- first bit I've bought for him, he is very happy in it for now. 16 mm Turtle top flex bit, size M.

Adjusted and happy and I think we have repaired issues that arose from when I was gone over Christmas. Upward and onward, lesson learned.

Canter is coming both directions, huge improvement to the right. Now I want to get the shoulder-fore to canter transitions to the right, 4 strides canter, back to trot, repeat. And he is moving off my leg better for LY and in general. Work in progress.

I am working on not nagging with my right leg, in addition to about 100 other things. :lol:

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:16 pm

I too just bought a new bit. Still seeing if it's a winner or not. It seems like it is; but, we need a couple more rides to say for sure.

Rode this morning second level test 1 and test 2 at a schooling show. Junior was the bomb scoring 67 and 66 this morning despite never having ridden test 2 in a dressage arena before today. I had a lady approach us at the end of our second test and exclaim that my horse is just scrumptious LOL......never heard that one before so I was giggling all the way back to the trailer. The judge's comments, "Well done! Pleasure to watch this pair." I got some helpful comments and suggestions regarding our need for more suppleness and to improve our downward transition from medium canter to get more engagement. She even complimented on our quality of gaits! Not too bad to start the morning and the show with a couple of pleasant rides. I may have pictures to add, still waiting to see if they turn out or not ;)

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Pal and I finally hopped over some small things together yesterday. She's been jumping around once a week with someone else for a while now. The change of activity really seems to have improved her outlook in all her work. She was really super about everything for me and doesn't worry or change when I mess up since I have very little experience in the hopping over things department. This will only happen in lessons as I am not comfortable doing it by myself and I need to work on my position and all that fun stuff so someone on the ground is extra important at this point. It also seems to have irritated my hip a little bit but hopefully not to the point where I can't ride at all again. I guess I'll find out today.

There weren't any pics I was super happy with but I will share some photographic evidence anyway because at least Pal's cute. I messed up the approach here and let my reins get all floppy, she got over it despite me.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Pal looks great, Imperini!
Congrats, Exvet--sounds like a really successful show outing

Weather has been wet and unpredictable over here. Last week I rode in a t-shirt, on Sunday it was 24 degrees.

MM has been doing ok. I've been working hard on being more precise and specific with my aids. I'm also working on canter HP. Lately, our left lead canter half pass has been tricky. It's also our l-to-r change that's tricky, so I'm hoping unlocking that HP a bit will also help with that change. The r-to-l change has felt really good lately--I'm actually a bit afraid of messing it up or jinxing it! I've also been trying to mix in more half-steps work, pole work, and transitions to help with keeping things interesting and giving me places to focus on my precision.

RP has also been doing ok. I'm still having to work hard to get him to use that right hind in the beginning of the ride. but once he gets it going, he feels through, soft, and even. I am hoping to introduce trot poles to him this week. I think warming up with some poles might help him get his end trucking evenly early. And it definitely will help some with strength training.

Here are some pictures just for fun. And a fun fact that always surprises me about these two. RP is 14.1, but MM who looks so much bigger than him and fills up so much more leg is only 14.3

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 10.29.10 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 10.29.10 AM.jpg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 23881 times
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 10.29.27 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 10.29.27 AM.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 23881 times
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 10.30.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 10.30.05 AM.png (190.62 KiB) Viewed 23881 times

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Imperini- Pal looks like she's having great fun!
Blob- Love the pics and wish I had t-shirt weather. Our weather has been consistently bad in many ways.

I haven't managed to get much riding in since our lesson. Winter weather is in force as I suspected on this 2 month 'section'. I'm a whimp after recovering from a bad time with pneumonia a few years ago and don't ride below 20F. We've had lots of the lately in between ice storms and mini-blizzards so barn visits have been brief and (too) far between.

I did a little groundwork a few days ago when it was too cold for anything substantial. Last year she was PETRIEFED of the plastic bag so this is big progress in addition to being able to wave it around both sides of her and have her relax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUw8yKGu-N8

We also played with some self-loading work. In comparison to the plastic bag she LOVES the tarp. That thing is so cool to her for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urX6fpWIjfo

I'm hoping some of this self-calming work will start to transfer over to under saddle. We've been struggling with survival riding depending on how many triggers are going on. With any luck we can build on this idea of refocusing and relaxing no matter what else is happening. Snow falling off the roof included!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 am

The updates are so great to read. Love the photos and video. Blob, I think both of your horses look awesome. The young fellow has filled out so much!

My fixation of the winter appears to be management/development of the right hind---in all gaits, conditions and movements. I saw this Ali Brock video on Dressage Today Online where this was the theme for a chestnut mare and her rider (that mare was way more protective/reactive on that leg than mine is). But truly, it is the "red thread" that is an issue through all of our work. So I'm going into it!

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:58 pm

All the pictures and video clips are awesome. We have a productive and good looking group. I just scored a slot in an impromptu Heather Blitz clinic this Sunday. Can't wait!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Great pictures, your horses look great Blob. And I love the jumping photo Imperini.

Gosh exvet, showing isn't even a thought right now in this cold. Congrats on your good rides. Hows's the new bit?

The jury is still out on ours. I think it's too big. It only comes in S, M, L, etc and we tried a S that rubbed him. So I got the M but it may be too big which is causing other issues and it's not as comfortable. Sigh.

But he is moving so much better in the reflocked saddle so YAY!! Canter work is finally coming along, which means I can work on my postion. It's so hard, he has such a huge canter and the only way for me to work on it is to well, canter.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Vet moved up appointment a day, so Mark was seen yesterday. She felt he was moving pretty well. On hard ground, he looks pretty sound, slightly uneven on softer ground. She said to gradually up the walking by 5 minutes a week, in hand or under saddle. I think I'll continue in hand for the next two days, then saddle up this weekend...….I did ask for some syringes and ACE. ;0). I think even one ride with a little tranq will get us past the fact that he hasn't been ridden in eight weeks, and then we can do without (I hope). Next check in six to eight weeks, depending upon how he's doing. She did say that the bone chip is resting on one of the suspensory branches, so it needs to be monitored. If it causes no irritation, the we can just let it be, but otherwise, it might have to be removed surgically.

I feel for those of you with bad wintry weather. We are certainly spoiled here in California. I got to the barn around 2:45 for Mark's 3:30 appointment, and had to strip off his blanket because it was in the mid 60s, and the same is predicted for today. He was sweating under his blanket, even though he has a minimal winter coat.

exvet

Re:

Postby exvet » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:22 am

chantal wrote:Gosh exvet, showing isn't even a thought right now in this cold. Congrats on your good rides. Hows's the new bit?

The jury is still out on ours. I think it's too big. It only comes in S, M, L, etc and we tried a S that rubbed him. So I got the M but it may be too big which is causing other issues and it's not as comfortable. Sigh.

I still can't decide if it's going to work. He is definitely sucking his tongue less; but, he still gapes his mouth open at times which I think is simply his resistance to contact on the bars. I'm waiting to ride with Heather and later my Coach when she returns from Global to get some other opinions. So, I guess I'm still 'stuck' in between somewhat like your situation. If it's not one thing it's another but at least it can't be too bad. I rode in the brand new bit at the schooling show. It was only in the reinback that he opened his mouth. I'll let you know what the others think.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:02 am

I FINALLY RODE!!!

Between being sick, travel, hip repair (+ 2 weeks no exercise/riding), and then finally contemplating riding (and realizing some remedial groundwork was necessary :shock:) I haven't ridden in 3 weeks.

Let's just say that I've revised my opinion that Maia is just fine with time off (v. her dam who resprted to climbing walls :roll: ). Today was the first time I dared stick a foot in a stirrup, and I immediately regretted not slapping on the crash vest. We did manage to walk 1/4 circle without running sideways 8-)

My ortho would not be pleased with me if I'd hit the dirt.
Last edited by heddylamar on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:35 am

Well. In anticipation of our monthly lesson, Kimba sliced open her rear right fetlock and scratched her eye. Bandaging leg, no problem. Putting in eye ointment, I despise!!. Meanwhile Caliburn is progressing enough to be quite a fun ride.

I am not a fan of being cold . It's been fairly January this past week.

Enjoying the updates!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:45 pm

It's cold and snowing here and I have the farrier coming for the home boys this afternoon, which is going to be a chilly and miserable experience...

But, I also rode yesterday! I have been having trouble with Sciatica again--could hardly walk last weekend but it has eased off during the week, so I thought I'd hop on my poor neglected horse for the first time in a week. He was actually really good, even with the ice cascades off the roof. While it's not ideal from a training progress perspective, I think having a bit of an easier time over the winter isn't all bad. Once he's warmed up, he's moving really under himself, best trot we've ever had, and starting to collect pretty naturally and effortlessly at the canter.

I'm having to be a bit conservative because of me. I'm quite sore today. Need to find some more ibuprofen, I guess. I will ride tomorrow if I'm not completely crippled again. If I am, I suppose I'm going to have to crack and make a doctor's appointment. This is such a drag.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:45 pm

Ride #2 in the books with no crashes /phew

I can't wait for my hip to be fully functional after the second PRP procedure and PT. As it is now, the left hip is already looser and my whole leg is draping v. the extremely painful tight thing I had going on for the past several years. It was like a wholly different person was sitting in the saddle yesterday and today v. our last ride in December.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:10 pm

heddylamar wrote:Ride #2 in the books with no crashes /phew

I can't wait for my hip to be fully functional after the second PRP procedure and PT. As it is now, the left hip is already looser and my whole leg is draping v. the extremely painful tight thing I had going on for the past several years. It was like a wholly different person was sitting in the saddle yesterday and today v. our last ride in December.

fantastic!!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Ok, so the setback was about 2 weeks of intense pain. I’m not totally out of the woods yet, but I was back in the saddle this week despite the flu. Good news, I got to ride my horse. Bad news, I feel like an absolute beginner on him. With all the training from Andrea, he turned into a Ferrari. The shape is better, the connection is better, I mean, I couldn’t get him out of haunches in during my first canter. I know this is strength, dexterity and timing that will come back with time. But the level of the work is notched up so that his collected trot feels like if I drop the ball, we’ll be careening out of control around the arena. The thing is, despite the power, he’s the softest and straightest he’s ever been, and like I said, the shape is better. I always had him slightly deep, he’s that last little bit up and with a longer neck than I was able to achieve. So, long story short, I need to get my act together and ride up to this gift that I’ve been given.

EF4CDF41-A39F-4FC2-A4DC-B2D37A588ED9.jpeg
EF4CDF41-A39F-4FC2-A4DC-B2D37A588ED9.jpeg (111.93 KiB) Viewed 23527 times

F4C77F16-45F5-454F-8401-D5587098824A.jpeg
F4C77F16-45F5-454F-8401-D5587098824A.jpeg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 23527 times
9F2BC28D-B9CD-4FCE-B9C9-89D63C9C3900.jpeg
9F2BC28D-B9CD-4FCE-B9C9-89D63C9C3900.jpeg (162.58 KiB) Viewed 23527 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Looking fantastic Dresseur! Jingles that you can start riding him more frequently.
Keep calm and canter on.

Manni01
Greenie

Postby Manni01 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 pm

Beautiful pics!! hi everybody, I just joined hope to have nice conversations about Dressage!! My goals for 2020 are to show both of my girls. My younger one was never shown so far.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 pm

so glad you're getting more rides in Dressuer--you guys look great.

Welcome, Manni!

I ended sacrificing a riding weekend this week to work on trailer stuff. I don't have my own trailer, so getting time to trailer practice/train is somewhat dependent on someone else. This weekend a friend of mine left her trailer hitched so I could work Saturday and Sunday. This would be my first time really working with MM on loading since her accident.

Saturday it took us SIX hours to get her on the trailer. I wanted to make sure I had the 'I have all day to do this' attitude, but apparently MM had the same feeling. She never really got worked up or upset, she just simply would not budge and rooted herself down HARD. After some time she would get her front feet on, but the back were still not budging. We had food for rewards, but also tried pretty much every trick in the book--encouraging from behind, trying to send her, getting after her from behind, using double lunge lines behind, doing just persistent small nudges/taps with a whip, lunging her between so that the outside option was work and inside the trailer could be the easy option. Nada, nothing, she was not having it. And yet, I felt it was really important that she get on, one way or another so we persevered. She showed that are in-hand piaffe work is sticking by lifting each foot when it was tapped up, but not moving forward. So, we used that to get her to get her front feet on by command and before she could step down herself, we backed her up and off, we did that several times, so it was in our control when she came up and when she came down and not in her's. Eventually as we did this many, many times. She started walking her hind feet closer and closer. And eventually we got her up on. We rewarded her and then got her off and were done. But it was clear when she was getting off that a big part of her anxiety of not wanting to get on was getting off (when she had her accident she first fell coming off and then cut her nose trying to get on).

Today, I went back out again not sure what I'd have after that 6 hour marathon that inevitably left her sore--that's a long time to have your whole body braced in NO. I wouldn't have been surprised if she got right on or if she came out even more resolute than before about not wanting to go. She put her front feet up right away today and immediately I went back to the exercise that got her on yesterday--asking front up and then off on my say. Again, had to do that several times, letting her slowly getting more and more forward as she came up. This time she got up in 15 minutes. I let her eat some beet pulp on the trailer this time, so she'd stay up there and relax some. She kept anticipating having to come down and getting anxious. So i think it was good for her to hang out up there for a bit and eat and relax. Then we very slowly back her up--she was still anxious about coming down--getting very very low on her hocks in anticipation of a fall or slip. But it was calmer than yesterday and she landed well.

I am hoping I"ll have enough daylight tomorrow after work to get one more day of reinforcing in before my friend has to unhitch her trailer. I really hope we're able to get her to fully trust a trailer again. She used to be such an easy step right up loader.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:53 pm

That sounds like really sound, patient re-training, Blob. I'm glad you could hang with it and get to day 2. I hear you on the trailer practice being tricky. I'm assuming it was a back-out trailer when the incident occurred?

Dresseur, Miro looks pretty darn amazing. I'm very excited for you and also bid you patience as your body comes back to the form you expect. It is very special to have that kind of training put into your horse.

I'm continuing to focus on maintaining fitness and right hind management and care. I had a new to me massage person work on her today, so we'll see what effect that has. The massage person did get her neck longer, which is always the case after chiro, too. Bad me---making her neck shorten (it is a tendency that she has and we work with and through...but extra help is valuable!).

Return to “Dressage Training”