New year, new goals! Jan/Feb 2020

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: New year, new goals! Jan/Feb 2020

Postby blob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:25 am

piedmontfields wrote:I'm assuming it was a back-out trailer when the incident occurred?.

It was kind of a double whammy... When she was backing down from a trailer, she slipped on the ramp and fell on her butt. It didn't seem to cause any real damage, but she's very sure footed normally and so I think it really rattled her. That same trip, when I tried to get her on a few hours later, she was hesitant and not sure about getting on-- she swung her head to the side in the process and cut her nose/upper lip straight down the middle and needed about 15 staples. But it's understandably made her think of the trailer as a bad place.

I'm hoping I can get another weekend in soon, and hopefully start to get her confidence back. And I think for now I need to get her really solid on the step up before I try a ramp again

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 am

So I guess I better report that I rode with Heather Blitz this evening. It was a bittersweet ride for the cost. She did give me some eye opening moments and targets in terms of what I need to do to get Junior really coming to the connection and staying there, no matter what. So for that reason alone I'm glad I went and rode though it was a difficult lesson. I didn't like the footing (Junior kept slipping but that was probably because his balance is too much with his hind working out behind him) and I didn't like the fact that his movement became lateral much of the time while we were working through the issues to get to the contact and feel I needed. I did get a good feel for where and what we need to create so that gives me something to work towards; but, I was disappointed that at the end of the lesson I got the soapbox moment of how I should probably ride with draw reins - just 2-3 times is likely all it would take - to get through to Junior where he should be with his balance and the contact. Not sure if I'll ride again with her; but, we'll see. This wasn't the first time I rode with her; so, I can't say that any of the approach was a surprise, just disappointed that so many of the riders use 'training aids' and that the answer for me was much of the same - and all for the same reason, to get there faster.

Also got a brief dissertation that I should get Junior scoped. He likes to suck his tongue when he gets stressed. It's a coping mechanism. Dr. Blitz is concerned that there's an entrapment problem with his epiglottis. She doesn't know I'm a vet or that I've seen his epiglottis a few times since I do everybody's teeth. I get it, her reasoning; but, again, I just am grateful for the background I have.................

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:40 am

Blob, that sounds like some serious progress. Trailer-training is painful.

Dresseur, so glad to see you back in the saddle. We must all be nuts, hobbling through our daily lives as we struggle to ride effectively again. Exciting to have Miro making such stellar progress!

Good ride for me today, no pain, and I could walk afterwards, so I think I'm back on the upswing, too. Time to get back to serious work... We have things to do in the next six months if we are going to show this year.

Manni, welcome!

Interesting, Exvet. I rode with her once about 10 years ago and she wasn't into the draw reins thing then. That would be disappointing. I found her a bit "physical" as a trainer then. Lots of body strength there.

Manni01
Greenie

Postby Manni01 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm

Exvet, great that you got the chance to ride with H.Blitz.

About the draw reins, I do know trainer like to suggest it if things are getting difficult and I think they do mean well and they just want to make it easier for you. my experience ( because it was suggested for both of my horses by pretty famous clinicians) With one horse maybe I should have done it.. I didn’t want to and I did work through the issues, but she is a big bossy dominant mare and I had times when I thought I wouldn’t make it through... For my young horse it was suggested in the first lesson with my new trainer because he didn’t know her well and saw the issues we had in the first rounds with connection. I ignored this advice and in the next lessons he was completely over the top how willing she was so I guess he figured out that the issue was much less then he thought in the beginning..
So I think maybe Heather Blitz did not know you and your horse well enough... I am pretty sure from all I know about you that you can work though the issues without draw reins.. Probably takes just .some more focusing and some more patience...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:37 pm

exvet wrote:So I guess I better report that I rode with Heather Blitz this evening. It was a bittersweet ride for the cost. She did give me some eye opening moments and targets in terms of what I need to do to get Junior really coming to the connection and staying there, no matter what. So for that reason alone I'm glad I went and rode though it was a difficult lesson. I didn't like the footing (Junior kept slipping but that was probably because his balance is too much with his hind working out behind him) and I didn't like the fact that his movement became lateral much of the time while we were working through the issues to get to the contact and feel I needed. I did get a good feel for where and what we need to create so that gives me something to work towards; but, I was disappointed that at the end of the lesson I got the soapbox moment of how I should probably ride with draw reins - just 2-3 times is likely all it would take - to get through to Junior where he should be with his balance and the contact. Not sure if I'll ride again with her; but, we'll see. This wasn't the first time I rode with her; so, I can't say that any of the approach was a surprise, just disappointed that so many of the riders use 'training aids' and that the answer for me was much of the same - and all for the same reason, to get there faster.

Also got a brief dissertation that I should get Junior scoped. He likes to suck his tongue when he gets stressed. It's a coping mechanism. Dr. Blitz is concerned that there's an entrapment problem with his epiglottis. She doesn't know I'm a vet or that I've seen his epiglottis a few times since I do everybody's teeth. I get it, her reasoning; but, again, I just am grateful for the background I have.................

Ohhh that is super disappointing re: draw reins. I had assumed she wasn't like that...I don't understand how the draw reins would help in this case, I guess I'm just not following the logic.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:00 pm

I am not an anti-draw rein person--I do believe there is a time and place for them. But I don't think that time and place is for contact, balance and/or thoroughness--so, i too am disappointed that she recommended them to help with that aspect.

But, I'm also glad that the clinic wasn't a total wash for you, Exvet, and that you got good insights.

Clinics are tricky because many of them are so expensive that it's really disappointing to not get valuable and useful stuff out of it in a way that is not true of a normal lesson. I've audited many clinics with people who are greater trainers and riders where all I could think was "If I had paid $$$ for this, I would be really not happy right now..."

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:11 pm

isn't Healther the one who rides with Mary Wanless? this is totally contrary to the methods taught, it really makes no sense.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Just to report. First ride on Mark on Saturday after 8 weeks of hand-walking was uneventful - but I think the 1.5 cc of ACE probably had something to do with that. We strolled around for our allotted 15 mins (but I spent a good 40 mins grooming and fussing with him pre-ride). I cut that back to less than 1cc on Sunday, and the ride was equally quiet. Will try undrugged tonight. Vet definitely indicated that barring further complications he should get back to trotting, but she wants him doing 40 mins of walk before we reach that point (adding 5 minutes each week until we get to 40). I can tell you right now, once we hit 25 mins, my knees are going to hurt, though those Bow Balance Stirrups have helped a lot. My big shock on the first ride was how much my inner thigh muscles hurt, instantly! Aaargh.

Draw reins. Hmm....well, yeah. I donated my last set to a tack auction. The only time I had ever used them was on my second event horse, who was big, strong and HATED arena work of any kind. Show him a fence and he'd do anything for you, but 20 m. circles, leg yield, fuggedaboudit! He also would pull my arms out given half a chance. So, every once in a while - not all the time - I'd use the draw reins, but I rode with them as if he were in a double and the draw reins were the curb, i.e. very light contact on the drawreins. FWIW, he greatly respected a curb, but obviously showing at 1st level (the eventing tests at Training and Preliminary), a double wasn't permitted. While I always jumped him in a snaffle (French mouth eggbutt for dressage and stadium, Dr. Bristol for cross-country), when I showed him as a hunter in HUS, I used a double and he was nice and light in the snaffle: Just knowing the curb was there was enough for him. He was complicated!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 pm

I find draw reins an interesting quandary, if you dont need them you can use them, if you have to use them. You probably shouldnt. By which I mean people skilled enough to use them.probably dont need them.

Ride on and enjoy

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:44 pm

Hot4Spots wrote:Just to report. First ride on Mark on Saturday after 8 weeks of hand-walking was uneventful - but I think the 1.5 cc of ACE probably had something to do with that. We strolled around for our allotted 15 mins (but I spent a good 40 mins grooming and fussing with him pre-ride). I cut that back to less than 1cc on Sunday, and the ride was equally quiet. Will try undrugged tonight. Vet definitely indicated that barring further complications he should get back to trotting, but she wants him doing 40 mins of walk before we reach that point (adding 5 minutes each week until we get to 40). I can tell you right now, once we hit 25 mins, my knees are going to hurt, though those Bow Balance Stirrups have helped a lot. My big shock on the first ride was how much my inner thigh muscles hurt, instantly! Aaargh.

Draw reins. Hmm....well, yeah. I donated my last set to a tack auction. The only time I had ever used them was on my second event horse, who was big, strong and HATED arena work of any kind. Show him a fence and he'd do anything for you, but 20 m. circles, leg yield, fuggedaboudit! He also would pull my arms out given half a chance. So, every once in a while - not all the time - I'd use the draw reins, but I rode with them as if he were in a double and the draw reins were the curb, i.e. very light contact on the drawreins. FWIW, he greatly respected a curb, but obviously showing at 1st level (the eventing tests at Training and Preliminary), a double wasn't permitted. While I always jumped him in a snaffle (French mouth eggbutt for dressage and stadium, Dr. Bristol for cross-country), when I showed him as a hunter in HUS, I used a double and he was nice and light in the snaffle: Just knowing the curb was there was enough for him. He was complicated!

yeah, this makes sense as its about leverage. Of course horses "respect" it. That is the point of it. Sounds like a tough ride....

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Ryeissa wrote:yeah, this makes sense as its about leverage. Of course horses "respect" it. That is the point of it. Sounds like a tough ride....

Oh he was complicated (and grouchy), but he was 100% safe ride, on the trail or cross-country, and LOVED to jump. I did 5'3" with him a couple of times in schooling. I had him for 11 years, then when he was 20 gave him to a friend who trail rode him until he died at almost 28. When he was 25, she shined him up and took him to a schooling show and won two out of three classes and was 2nd in the other (Eq, HUS, Hunter Hack). :D Here's a picture of him when he was about 14.
Attachments
Blazer-Woodside-1985.jpg
Blazer-Woodside-1985.jpg (130.17 KiB) Viewed 22238 times

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:15 am

Great photos and updates everyone, I've been MIA due to sick parents. Mom was diagnosed with H. pylori (much better after antibiotics) and my dad has been in the hospital since last Monday. Started with chest pain, heart cath and stent, evolved into cognitive and physical decline. We now know to never give our father benadryl! It messed him up mentally and the week in the bed (sometimes restrained) has messed him up physically. After just a couple of days off the Benadryl (they were using it to calm him at night) he is back to himself cognitively and is getting stronger each day physically. He should come home either tomorrow or Wednesday as long as nothing else happens to set him back. We will need 24/7 care for a bit to get him we hope close to what he was and PT to come in along with Home Health nurses. It is definitely challenging to have such role reversals in caring for aging parents. I've been caring for the ponies but that is about it. Have not ridden in a couple of weeks, have lunged a bit and WIH a bit. Hoping to get back into the groove when things settle since I have a clinic with Cedar in March. I have fat fuzzy ponies right now.

M looks awesome dresseur and congrats on the show exvet, sorry that the clinic with HB did not go as you had hoped. How disappointing for her to suggest draw reins. I've had the same instruction years ago from a GP rider I rode with some, I ignored it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm

sorry Khall, jingles for better health soon!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:24 pm

In regards to the recommendations to consider using draw reins, y'all are right. Heather prefaced her comments with "I don't know what camp you're in but I'm not completely anti-draw reins. There are times where they can help but it has to be with a rider who knows how to use them. You're a good enough rider that you would use them a couple of times if that and get the point across." She went on to explain that it would simply be quicker to get the job done and move on from there. I've only ridden with her one day at a time (she usually comes from three days) due to my work schedule. This was the third time and at least a year since I last rode with her. It's far from ideal but I do appreciate her 'view' of where we are and how far off the mark we are. She does have an understanding of biomechanics that can give you another approach to the same end which I appreciate (don't always agree with but I find it better than hearing the same old thing over and over and over). I don't plan to use the draw reins for a couple of reasons.

First I know I can work through the issue without them. I think Heather was/is just concerned that I'm older and not as 'strong' as I need to be for the time it takes Junior's stubbornness to soften. LOL.....she doesn't have any clue there. When Junior gets bullish he doesn't really get heavy; so, riding through this isn't going to be hard or exhausting in a physical way (perhaps mentally but I can match his persistence). I think she's concerned that he's going to get rewarded and doesn't want any chance of that happening. Second, Junior can and has reared. I simply think taking the 'faster' approach will not have enough pay off in dividends and would rather take a safer approach. I fractured my pelvis 27 years ago when a horse flipped over on top of me. I can handle a rearing horse and prefer to tackle that aspect in a way that doesn't increase my chances of getting trapped like that again.

I think my disappointment was fueled by the fact that I've been seeing an insurgence recently of many of the queens around here riding with chambons, draw reins and whatever the hell that contraption is that goes around the butt of a horse in order to keep them stepping under.......gawd it's like everyone rides with those now - especially in clinics and lessons. I'm not looking for the quick way out. I'm looking to just ....damn..... ride correctly.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 pm

well, that is even more disappointing. I can see that is a very difficult situation

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Cheers to those getting back in the saddle!! It so encouraging to follow along with everyone's progress. Bumps included.

Exvet- Ugh, that kind of suggestion is why the clinic format can sometimes be so hard. In my experience Clinicians/instructors sometimes feel the pull to make an immediate improvement, something substantial, when that isn't always the case if just a regular training session. And I don't blame you for passing on draw reins and just opting to slow and steady work on the issue.

I remember years and years ago on the UDBB posting a video of my last mare and looking so forward to a discussion about it. One poster who I very much respected their opinion and vast experience simply stated that it looked like the horse had been ridden extensively in draw reins. I was crushed. This was a mare I had started from scratch as a 3 year old and had never in her life seen draw reins.

I don't have a great shakes update. Last week some lesson kids did not latch a gate while putting their ponies away for the night in another paddock and they got loose. Ponies were successfully retrieved but not before raising some havoc. Kora ended up knocking a hind leg running in the commotion so we dealt with swelling, soreness and lots of deity offerings that the splint bone was okay. Thankfully it resolved by this weekend and she's 100%.

In terms of riding we're dealing with lots of tension/worry and stress while being ridden with horses in the indoor. It's the completely un-fun young horse work of getting her to relax and refocus on me than the outside elements. We're doing a lot of walk leg yielding, some square turns to get her to breath and settle. It's slow improvement but still slow. When she gets worked up and upset she gets behind the leg and rockets kicks with the hind legs so I'm trying to avoid battles that way and just get back to happy quiet within herself before moving up to trot/canter.

I. hate. winter.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:35 pm

exvet I'm not a gadget person, and I can't see how draw reins help anything. But I see how sometimes neither of you are strong enough. In the few times when I felt neither I or the horse wasn't strong enough, I used a chambon or degogue. I prefer just training and conditioning, but sometimes you need some extra help.

I do not like draw reins for a lot of reasons. The reason I prefer a chambon or degogue in those instances is that they don't do anything unless the horse is in the wrong position. It can give them some support or limits as needed, but you don't accidentally use them when not needed, as with draw reins.

Just a thought.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:54 am

Well, crap. Went out to ride today to be met by a horse with a huge hock and stovepipe leg that he had no desire to be weightbearing on, and a temperature of 102.6... He'd been perfectly fine this morning and moving around normally in his paddock all day.

Called the vet, administered bute, waited 2 hours during which he perked up a little bit and ate some of his dinner.

The vet shaved his hock and found very odd wound--looks like 3 punctures in a triangle. I'm wondering if he got bitten by something venomous? A spider maybe? He's now got a furacin sweat wrap on from ankle to stifle and in stuffed full of Excede. 2 grams of bute twice a day and the vet will be back Thursday evening to have another look.

Vet says it is not in the joint, fortunately. But Laddie is one really miserable horse, poor guy.

Life is pretty effin' chaotic at the moment.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:54 am

Aleuronx wrote:
I remember years and years ago on the UDBB posting a video of my last mare and looking so forward to a discussion about it. One poster who I very much respected their opinion and vast experience simply stated that it looked like the horse had been ridden extensively in draw reins. I was crushed. This was a mare I had started from scratch as a 3 year old and had never in her life seen draw reins.

Years ago, I rode in a symposium where the clinician was Christine Traurig after she had her day on the center stage. I actually really like her. I know not everyone is a fan. During that clinic there was a relatively small peanut gallery that had determined that the horse I was riding was a classic example of a horse that had been ridden in draw reins. I backed, started and trained that horse on my own. I have never owned a pair of draw reins and he had never been ridden in them. The cackling biddies had tarred and feathered me publicly. Fortunately the clinic was a very productive and helpful one for me. Christine actually asked if she could get on and ride my horse. I told her the only other person who had ridden my horse was Betsy Steiner in an earlier symposium. I said that she had survived and I supposed that Christine would too. Christine got on and my horse tried to buck her off a couple of times. Like me in that situation she rode through laughing the entire time. She had a much better understanding of where I was coming from and gave me some very helpful tips. I got to ride with her one more day after that experience and she gave me even more help. She also set the expert dressage queen biddies straight and made a comment to the effect that her suspicion, and based on their comments regarding me and draw rein use on my horse, had probably one tenth of the hide in the saddle that I had. I'm sure it didn't sway their judgment of me; but, I did feel vindicated. I did manage to get that downhill, short necked, sway back plug to Prix St. George and he earned me my silver medal. I can never thank that horse (welsh cob) enough.

I understand the 'proper' use of draw reins and I'm taking Heather's comments to heart. I just choose to approach the matter in a different way. It will take me longer but I will get there. There are many roads to Rome. The greatest benefit from the clinic is receiving a very clear picture as to where I need to focus my energy not necessarily how.

This is like I love this board. We all have experiences that can help one another. So thank you Aleuronx, your comments give me the RIGHT fuel for the fire ;)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Yeah, that sucks exvet. There are so many reasons beside DR that horses go BTV, its really a sign of lack of education if people make the automatic assumption that its DR and as riders we are "wanting it" that way.

The lack of understanding sadly has people not skilled to fix BTV/deep tendencies which do require a certain skill set and toolbox (not gadgets). If you assume its all DR you don't ask the questions about why it happens, how to fix it, etc.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:55 pm

I appreciate the clinic report and reflections. It is a complicated matter to offer suggestions in a tight time frame without a lot of knowledge of the horse-rider pair. I'm glad you still got some good input on expectations for Jr. from Blitz.

FWIW, the trainers I respect who very occasionally use or recommend draw reins are 1. usually dealing with a brief re-training situation and 2. often a situation where the horse's size + strength greatly exceeds that of the rider. Tanga, I found your comments on a chambon interesting.

As someone who is still learning to improve her work with a horse who has the tendency to be too deep/round, I am very in touch that this is just a challenging conformation to train, in some respects.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:41 pm

I'm also enjoying the back and forth about clinic/draw reins/training timelines.

If I think about the times that I've used draw reins for a short period for a specific goal, it was always to provide a certain boundary. There was a horse who got in the habit of resisting by putting his head up and bolting. A few days in draw reins where the draw reins were fairly loose but kept the horse from getting his head up above a certain level, took away the bolting reaction. It could have been done without draw reins, but it felt important in that case for it to be done quickly from a safety standpoint. A martingale would have likely done the same kind of job, but I wanted the ability to adjust the length in case the horse seemed like he wanted to go up.

In clinics, I have seen Conrad Schumacher who comes to our area frequently use one draw rein through the noseband. This is almost ALWAYS the case (from what I've seen) for the rider and not because the horse needs it. And i've heard him explain that he puts it through the noseband because it's less harsh. in that case it becomes essentially a standing martingale. in some cases it was used to for the rider to experience the feeling he/she should be aiming for from a throughness perspective. Having said that, i would be very disappointed if i paid a lot of money for a clinic with him and he suggested it for me.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:59 pm

exvet wrote:This is like I love this board. We all have experiences that can help one another. So thank you Aleuronx, your comments give me the RIGHT fuel for the fire ;)

I'm so glad it helped!! It's quite near and dear to me at the moment in our current struggle being upset by others and activity in the indoor. I've been told to 'ride her through it' in an aggressive manner. I'm nodding and smiling but know that the root of it is emotion and fear. She not acting out to be bad but because she's worried or scared. Manhandling a fear response has rarely worked in the long term. So we'll soldier on just the same and continue to expose her, encourage her to relax and praise good responses.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:00 am

Dresseur, how good is Miro looking!! So up through the chest and wither/base of neck. He looks amazing.
Can I ask if your trainer is ever concerned about how open the gullet is? I'm only asking the past 2 clinics I've been to, this has been a big thing with them and sometimes I feel I'm sacrificing a lot of other stuff to chase an open gullet.

The draw reins thing is interesting. I heard this also from a very experienced trainer and I was surprised. I wonder if it's suggested especially more so by those trainers who compete a lot? It's a quicker way to get a horse into a frame that looks ok from the outside, but not necessarily feels ok?

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 am

So, in training, yes, she is always trying to get them to draw the rein out a bit and open a bit more through the gullet. But, she gets submission and the right tempo first, then starts working on the length of neck, and openness. If the horse doesn’t respect and follow the hand, you will be sacrificing connection, balance etc. In other words, she would not sacrifice balance, connection, submission, the tempo, straightness or suppleness for the openness.

For context, that’s about as open as I’ve seen Miro with me- he’s a touch more with her. But, he also has a VERY thick, stallion-like neck, and he also has a defect where his neck kind of cuts in near his jowls. So, I’m not sure how much more open we can get him. But what I love is how up he is, and that the poll is actually the high point if you take away his huge crest. I always had him much more collapsed :(

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:20 am

Thanks Dresseur, that all makes sense. I think I try and get the openness and then lose some of the other stuff, but the real big difference I see in your/her horses and mine, is that true uphill-ness and lift through the front and engagement in the haunches that you get. He really looks like he is dancing in those photos. You are doing a great job with him, don't feel bad if your trainer is getting him that little bit further, you are a very good rider.
My big horse has a difficult throatlatch area too. I'm not sure i'll ever get him always out and open either.

I've been working on our collected canter with Ding. Really trying to get him to do it, and not do that push pull thing I seem to love to do in order to keep him going.

https://youtu.be/uvD8v2WvEwY

The smoke settled for a while, so I was getting some good riding in but it's very hot again with a threatening fire where I work, so I'm covering shifts and will be riding less in the next little while. Given these conditions, I actually don't mind too much. Just sitting tight and hoping to get through the summer without burning.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:30 pm

Flight - that canter looks great to me! Very active and adjustable!

Canter work like that is pretty much all I am doing with Bliss these days. It's fun that he's developing more strength and adjustability.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Flight, that looks pretty darn good all the way around!

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:02 pm

Great video, flight--i hope you're really happy with how Ding looks and how in sync the two of you look together!

I'm about to leave town for 2 weeks, so the horses will get a break. I think physically the break is good timing for RP. We have been working hard to strengthen his weaker right hind and I think he might actually need some downtime for his muscles. I worry a bit about his mental fitness, but I think 2 weeks will be ok.

MM does well with time off. Her riding has been inconsistent lately though, so I hate not having more riding time with her this month.

The last few days, I've continued the trailering work with her. Things felt like they got a lot better from day 1 to 2. But on day 3 she didn't want to load again and it took us 2 hours or so to get her on. Much better than 6, but still too long. And it did not feel like the most productive day. She was sullen the whole time and that made it hard to get her to focus or try. So, i've been racking my brain for different methods. And finally yesterday tried one that might be a better path forward:

I asked her to load 3-5 times and rewarded any forward progress, but since she did not load in that time, i tied her up the trailer and went to get RP from the pasture and groomed him and tacked him up. I went back out and again tried for just a few tries, ended on a good note, but left her tied again since she did not load all the way up. Rode RP, did the same thing again. Groomed and put RP away, same thing. Cleaned my tack, went back out and she loaded on the first try. I am optimistic that this method might be a good one for us. It keeps the active trying period small so no one gets annoyed/frustrated/etc. Shorter periods kept her focus and she didn't get sullen/shut down at all. But she was not rewarded and put away until she actually loaded. She's a thinker, so I think the tied up time also gave her time to think through the situation. Though she ties well, she clearly did not love being tied up. I think the other thing that helped get her to load up the first try eventually is that the amount of time between tries and how many tries I did before leaving her tied to the side varied. So, unless she loaded the first time, there was no rhythm or consistency to how long she might have ended up tied there.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:33 pm

This is one of those times I regret boarding at a small, quiet facility — there are only 2 other riders, and neither are fool enough to ride my girlie. A week of riding has NOT been enough to reengage the formerly "okay, I guess it's time to work" redheaded mare brain! :roll: Maia really needs a keep-going-until-you-drop gallop. I'm not up for that right now, because I'm still protecting my hip and have a suspicion galloping will spin her up even more before wearing her out, and I really cannot end up in a spectacular crash. The ortho would kill me!

So, we're doing a LOT of shoulders/haunches-in at the trot until she finally sighs and relaxes. Are there any body protectors that cover human hips too? :lol:

OTOH, once she finally relaxes, I've had fantastic trot work from her all week. It just takes 30 minutes of high-risk trotting to get there. And my hip has been loose every ride — YAY!!!!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:42 pm

Flight- Wow, Ding looks fantastic!! Looks like you guys are preserving for some great work.

heddylamar- Fist bump of commiseration for the high-risk trotting. Do what you can and next week will be better. It has to be!! :lol:

This weekend was about stacking the deck for success with rides. I picked quiet times at the barn to get an empty indoor and set up trot poles, the mini-est cross rail and the tarp spread out. She loves the tarp and was even game to canter on it. When she got tense/stressed we worked over the obstacles so she'd have to redirect her mind to her feet. It worked quite well!

Today we made it through the entire warm-up without losing the plot! We need some more rides like this in our bank before we tread back into the weekday evenings with lessons and training horses being ridden. Baby horses means baby steps.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:53 am

My revised goal is to get to the end of the month without anything else awful happening to my poor horse.

His hock injury has been really painful and is being a bear to heal up. My Vet came back again yesterday and decided he needed another ABX shot. 15 minutes later he was throwing himself around in his stall, trying to climb the walls, headpressing, covered in hives and soaked in sweat. The vet came back and shot him up with dex and banamine and he came around, but it was truly terrifying.

He's sore as heck today, his neck is sore and swollen, he can't reach the ground to eat and is obviously feeling wretched, poor guy.

Worrying about increased collection seems a little redundant at the moment.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:53 am

OMG, Moutaineer---that is so scary. I unfortunately witnessed a horse have a full-out seizure from a reaction to Exceed (long-acting antibiotic). Amazingly, the horse did recover after several weeks in a vet hospital, but she fractured her skull in the process of the seizure. She recovered from that, too, and her owner is grateful she is alive. About a year after recovery, she was able to canter her again under saddle. We all cried watching that.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:00 pm

Jingles for Laddie! Like you need this right now with the move and everything else. :(

We are plugging along. I'm not doing much with Tesla right now. Annabelle is getting better at cantering under saddle. She still seems to be having some discomfort, probably originating in her hind end, but once she gets to work, she can trot around long and low and seems comfy, so we are keeping on going. The 11th will mark the 90 days from her last ultrasound that the vet recommended before going back to more more normal work. I'm feeling pretty confident about her DDFT, as the leg is staying cool and tight now, so it's more about putting the rest of Humpty Dumpty back together again. Of course I'll get a final US in a month or so before putting her back on any kind of turnout. Getting into the larger outdoor arena should work wonders for her as well, I think.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:50 pm

OMG, Mountaineer! Good thing the vet was still nearby.

Maia's been a disaster since December, but we turned a new leaf today. It's low 40s and rain, so I headed out to ride. A kind human would feel bad torturing their horse* ... but I had zero qualms about riding her in the rain(!) while everyone else was inside(!) eating ALL the hay(!) She was so good! We had great trot work, and actually did some canter work for the first time in forever. Plus turns on the haunches, trot-halt-canter transitions, and 2-4 steps of half pass.

*She is not a fan of rain. It's the only time she's the first horse to the gate to come in. And if there's a shelter, she'll be under it even if the rest of the herd is out.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Maia, we are proud of you! It rained for 3 straight days here. Tons of flooding. Yesterday, there was a few hour break and I was able to take Emi out and about to check out flooding and other damage to culverts, trails, etc. It's a mess, but miss mare was stellar. This photo shows a hay field bordered by a creek--which became a raging river.

Feb 2020 Flooding.JPG
Feb 2020 Flooding.JPG (113.17 KiB) Viewed 21621 times

Now it's in the 30sF with snow flurries. Ugly week of weather.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:05 pm

The weather has been highly uncooperative for riding this year, so I have just been lurking and wishing I could safely ride. But yesterday, we had a super fun chapter meeting I though I would share. Our chapter has been kinda over taken with "eventer" (most beginners) types which has brought new life to us stodgy old dressage queens. :P So for our meeting, one of the members borrowed the local college's rodeo team's practice barrel used for learning to ride rough stock. We stuck a jumping saddle on it and the local pony club instructor gave short position lessons to us, culminating in trying to hold cups without spilling the water while "jumping" a grid. I did well until I got the cups in my hands--apparently I was the only one who couldn't not spaz out holding those stupid cups. Lol At any rate, it was cool to learn that my jumping seat is still in there and that I can do it without hurting my back. Now if only the weather would cooperate.

(I'll attach a picture when my friend sends me one so you can see what the contraption looks like.)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:48 pm

Well....I mailed in my (recognized) show entry.

I don't know if we're gonna be good enough, but our performances riding the test are getting pretty consistent, and this is one of only a small handful of shows within range of me this year.

It's quite possible I'll score in the 50s. Then again, I might score in the mid-60s. But....how do I know until I try?

I have another 1.5 months to keep improving. I am excited to test where we're at. I can overcome the embarrassment if we don't quite make it over that metaphorical bar, and no matter what happens, it'll give me a chance for focused feedback. I just wanna try.

Basically, I could use any hand holding anyone wants to offer. :lol:

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:19 pm

i'll be standing just outside the ring, cheering for you --in spirit! it's always great to hear how you & your horses are doing.
my advice: keep re-reading the things you posted --your head knows all the right words, and hopefully it'll sink in.
(my version of handholding :mrgreen: )

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:45 am

Laddie is doing a bit better--can reach the floor to eat, but still has a lot of midline edema and other weird swellings, and while he's happy to go for a hand walk, he's pretty much done in after 10 minutes or so. So, yes, I'm worried about his heart, too. But my vet is now on a beach in Mexico on a much deserved vacation, so we'll watch and wait an see if it all settles down in the next week.

Good for you, Kelo. You don't know if you can do it until you do it. (Well, we know you can do it... but if it doesn't all come magically together the first time, it'll be useful experience and feedback anyway.)

I'm reading along, but a bit scattered at the moment, so forgive me if I miss something.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:08 am

Listen to your horse. If you are sacrificing something to open the gullet, your horse is telling you something. What is he telling you? Work it out .

Kimba told me something the other day and I got so pissed off with myself for listening to the bullshit training ethicists on facebook instead of respecting my horses needs and opinion.

Caliburn has a weak back , a long neck, and an upside down conformation. He finds it easier at this time to curl, and drop behind the vertical. It helps him to find out how to use his back, to work.out how to change his balance and to bear weight. Once he has strength and connection, he will become able to open his gullet without sacrificing anything.

In my not so humble opinion forcing him to go poll high and open at this time is unfair.

When stange horses approach each other they adopt a posture if strength. They might need to fight or flee. They do not prepare for this by lifting their poll and opening their gullet. They arch their neck and curl. They know what posture they need for strength and balance and it's not head high. That comes with flight.

I am not a fancy big name trainer and most of my riders want to enjoy riding, love their horses and use dressage for improving their horses soundness strength and balance so that the horse and rider may both enjoy riding. To this end, I have riders with horses well into their twenties still riding sound and happy. Yes I show a bit, yes I train my horse to do " stuff" but listen to your horse. Are you helping it to do what you are asking comfortably.

Following "rules" and "ideals" are not in fact ethical or horse friendly.

Sorry, vent over. I haven't posted any updates because what my horses want right now doesn't quite rise up to the standards of the idealists . And no doubt you all, and you know who you are, will choose to assume I'm to dumb to know what my horse finds most comfortable in its journey.

Edited to add, I genuinely believe almost everyone who posts on DDBB are genuine and admirable horsepersons. My vent is not really about ddbbers

blob

Postby blob » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 am

I'm still in europe, so my two are in vacation mode and apparently the weather back home has been awful, so perhaps there would not have been much riding even if it was there. Enjoying hearing everyone else's updates and keeping my brain still engaged in horse things.

Mountainer, such a scary thing! So glad laddie seems to be doing better. Kelo--how exciting--do keep us posted.

The past year or so has been interesting for me when it comes to listening to your horse. For awhile, my primary riding was starting young horses. I think then I was very good at listening. It's a period with a lot of change and learning in a short period of time and to ensure that the horse was set up for success and that I was kept safe, I had to really pay attention to when it was time to move on to something and when we needed more time doing something. It's the reason that I never took on a client's horse with a timeline, it just wasn't something I was willing to do. But of course I also had the luxury of saying yes and no since starting horses was not my livelihood. In the past several years, however, MM has been my primary horse. She is incredibly tough, strong, and stoic when it comes to pain. And despite the fact that she can sometimes ride like a lazy horse, she actually has a very good work ethic--she very rarely says 'no' or even 'i don't want to'. As a result, instead of getting sharper, my listening skills became lax. And often I wouldn't realize something wasn't quite right with MM until things were further along than ideal and even then i wasn't always clear on what or why. And then I got RP and it's been impossible to not listen and not be hyper vigilant. In the year i've had him, he's had his teeth done 4 times. And other than the first time I really second guessed myself--'but his teeth were JUST done, this must be soemthing else'. But each time the dentist has said 'yup, you were right there is something on this side'. And so now I know, RP never lies about his teeth--he might be more sensitive about them being not perfect, but horses are honest and i need to listen. As a result, RP has also made me a better horse person for MM. He has forced me to pay attention in a way I haven't had to before.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Good Luck Kelo! You're going to have a virtual peanut gallery of well wishers for your ride!

Sending healing vibes to all those two legged and four-legged who are recuperating.

Well after my somewhat disappointing ride with Heather, I have the show tomorrow. They still haven't sent out or posted ride times so this should be interesting. However, I know my tests and Junior knows the movements.....and on the point of listening to your horse, I do agree to a point. I took to heart where Heather said I was lacking and needed to greatly improve; but, instead of going to gadgets and equipment to make it 'easier or faster' I simply decided to up the ante with my seat and core. After one rather physical ride for me, Junior realized that I was not buying his insistence to keep the contact where he wanted and had sucked me into going to despite my experience at this level. Instead of gadgets I simply used my seat to ride my horse into and keep the contact and billions (well it felt like it anyway) of transitions and changes of bend to get him to come under more and engage thereby lifting up through his withers. We'll see tomorrow if the judge thinks I'm heading in the right direction.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:15 am

Chisamba, good post. Sometimes it's hard to know who/what is right, especially when you're not sure you've got enough experience to trust your own feelings. Also hard when you get bits and pieces of someones info and you don't have them for the next steps.
With Norsey, when he is out in the paddock mucking around with the others he doesn't close his gullet. It is when I'm riding him. Which is an interesting thing to notice.

Moutaineer - Such a tough time with Laddie, not what you need ever but especially with all your moving stuff. Really hoping he'll be ok soon.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Chisamba - Thank you for a refreshing post - I wish there was an applause icon here. I regret I am so far away as I believe I would fit right in with your other students. My goals are simple - ride for the joy of it and improve my skills to help my pony. I greatly admire how you rehab and retrain so many different types of horses. Carry on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:23 pm

Flight. I have learned not to think of the gullet in isolation, this part of the whole neck, shoulder to nose. If you dont have the base of the neck, and the back, the gullet might close. If at that time you only fix the gullet, you might never address the real problem, If I make a medical metaphor, dont go after the symptom, look for the cause and it is 99.9 percent of the time in the hind leg.

I would say 75 percent of the time a closed throat is about the hind leg pushing not carrying

Sit tall, keep your hands still , accept whatever weight your horse needs in the rein to slow the shoulders, and activate the back legs. Ignore curling, neck compression et al, As soon as the shoulder through poll lifts in one piece, soften and go forward. As the horse begins to understand the outcome. The whole neck will follow the hand forward.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:28 pm

PS. Based on you posture and hand position forward up and out, or forward down and out.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:46 pm

Smiling in relief when I read your post Chisamba, because that's exactly what I've been doing lately!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:09 am

Flight wrote:Smiling in relief when I read your post Chisamba, because that's exactly what I've been doing lately!

Good luck , I hope the outcome shows promise

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:14 am

I do enjoy the exchanges on this board so much. Frankly, Chisamba's and Flight's notes reminded me of Dresseur's description of her trainer. Also, I really enjoyed Flight's video---there is a playful, exploratory quality to your work that I think is both kind and valuable.

Exvet, I love that you went to "bossy seat" to address things! I get how an outside view can be clarifying about the standard, and I do vote in favor of your tactics, as you did. The power of the seat (when fully utilized) is huge. I look forward to updates.

Kelo, you know you have fans cheering you on virtually. Best wishes for a solid, informative test and great feedback. And yeah, the score you'd like, too :-)

Return to “Dressage Training”