Help developing a training plan among lots of travel

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Help developing a training plan among lots of travel

Postby blob » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi All,

It looks like I'm going to have quite a bit of travel coming up for work. I'll likely be spending 2 weeks away, 1 week home, 1 week away, 2 weeks home, 2 weeks away (or something of the sort). And I'm trying to figure out what makes sense for my horses. I don't really have someone else who can ride them (at least not RP).

So, my question is--how should I structure my riding during this period? If I ride when I'm home--how much easier should I take the work than normal? I'm trying to figure out how much fitness a horse might loose in 2 weeks off and kind of drawing a blank. And would love to hear what others might do in this situation.

They get 12 hours a day of turnout, so they won't be cooped up.

This isn't great timing as I'm getting ready for the show season, but if we need to push our first show out until May, that's fine.

Ryeissa

Re: Help developing a training plan among lots of travel

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:50 pm

"Skills aspect"
I'm not working at that high of level, but if it was me I would try to maintain current "skills" and not bring in anything new during the travel period.

"Fitness aspect"
Right now I can't always make it to ride predictably due to the winter driving, so my plan is to do more stretching and supplying, and not take on too much. Do what you can....I found that after my two week holiday over Christmas actually improved things- my horse liked the little break and stayed fit. My horse tends to keep muscle tone easily and gets fit quickly, so two weeks would not be as problematic. More of an issue is tension.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:38 pm

I saw an article recently that showed that horses on turnout don't lose much fitness. So if they get a lot of turnout, or you can arrange for more, while you're gone, I wouldn't worry too much about it. After two weeks off without a lot of turnout, I might go a little easy for the first week or two back, but wouldn't worry about one week off with turnout.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 pm

I agree with SF. Turnout is a very big point for maintaining fitness, especially if they have a bit of room and you know they use it (walking leisurely throughout 12 hours is good exercise).

Have you ever done this long of time off with either horse before? I ask because sometimes it just does not work well for some individuals. If exercise riding is not an option in that situation, I'd consider 24/7 turnout or hand walking or lungeing help. I just mention this because I have one of those individuals who does not do well with time off (even with turnout), especially in colder temperatures.

Good luck with the busy schedule! Hope it is rewarding for all.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:38 pm

My Vet once told me that horses don’t lose fitness near as quickly as humans. He said most horses can go about 6 weeks without losing a lot of physical fitness as long as they have turnout. However mental fitness is another issue! So YOUR riding fitness could be more of an issue with this schedule. :D

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:06 am

Thanks all, this is so helpful and is putting my mind at ease.

Though yes, my fitness will definitely be an issue!

Both have had longer stretches off but only for injury, which is not quite the same thing. Both have plenty of space in turnout. RP runs and plays a good bit. MM, however, doesn't believe in unnecessary running and sticks to the food. But she usually does well with time off. RP, though, really does crave a "program". So, it's a good watch out that his brain might need some work.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:13 pm

I have read that a horse can be totally stall bound and not loose fitness for up to 8 weeks! Wish I could find that article, but at any rate a couple weeks on or off shouldn't make any difference to them, fitness wise, and you'll probably have lovely fresh minds to come home to :)

Return to “Dressage Training”