Your preferred spurs

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Your preferred spurs

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:59 pm

OK folks, I finally feel ready to accept that spurs are something we use for harder work that demands a quick reaction. I trust my leg enough to be clear and to know when the spur is on/off, and I'm ready to "graduate" from my cheap tiny nub spurs. I know a lot of dressage people like a rowl spur, but what is your preference?

I would also like to get something made of a material that will not leave any marks (from the metal side of the spur) on my very white horse :-0

Ryeissa

Re: Your preferred spurs

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:22 pm

I don't use spurs but this might work for you?

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/centa ... iIQAvD_BwE

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:47 pm

I wear something like this with the rounded end - longer so that I don't have to move my leg much, and rounded because I ride a lot of sensitive chestnuts and grays. I've never caused an issue in other spurs, but I like to be safe.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/herm- ... -spur-9018

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:53 pm

I use the Sprenger Balkenhol ones--they are heavy enough that I know I am wearing them and where my feet are, and they are long enough that I don't have to wave my legs around to make contact.

The only thing against them is that they will leave black marks on a grey horse. When I was riding Walker in them I used to paint them with clear nail varnish from time to time, which solved the problem.

Domica
Greenie

Postby Domica » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:47 pm

Currently stainless steel Prince Of Wales Spurs, they don’t leave a mark. It all depends on how sensitive your horse is, it’s best to start small and work up so if you can borrow rather than buy. Probably better to Start with a small shank and toothed rowels.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:58 pm

Thanks, all. Good tip on the nail polish, M.! Even if I don't use the spur during a ride, the metal wears off on my horse's coat.

BTW, this is what I have been using, when I use something:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/round ... spurs-2140

Also BTW: What on earth is "german silver"? Is it just a particular nickel or stainless alloy?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:02 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
Also BTW: What on earth is "german silver"? Is it just a particular nickel or stainless alloy?

German Silver is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel, sometimes also containing lead and tin. It was originally named for its silver-white colour, but the term 'silver' is now prohibited for alloys not containing that metal.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:14 pm

i use spurs that look something like this:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/never ... traps-2142

it's a slightly squared off end, but no sharpe edges. I also have smooth rowels that I also use from time to time--I call them my show spurs because that's where i use them most.

I really do think of spurs as a refinement aid rather than a bigger bat (not implying anyone is saying that). They give a way to for the leg to have yet an additional extension of meaning. I also think that when used correctly, spurs are less of a 'go' aid and more of an engagement aid. I find they improve the collected work more than anything else.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:24 pm

Blob, I agree, and am definitely realizing I need them for "harder work requiring a quick reaction" aka engagement! I find the spur helps with specificity, too.

So do all of the metals rub off on white horses? I mean, I do not normally ride with my toes so far in/heels so far out that the side piece of the spur would never touch the horse (that is where I'm getting the color transfer).

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:03 pm

piedmontfields wrote:So do all of the metals rub off on white horses? I mean, I do not normally ride with my toes so far in/heels so far out that the side piece of the spur would never touch the horse (that is where I'm getting the color transfer).

Hmmm I don't remember my spurs rubbing off on white fur but it's been awhile! I have a set that has that rubber around the part that goes on your foot-- I thought that's what might rub off, but maybe that's what WON'T. Have you ever tried any of those?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:09 am

piedmontfields wrote:So do all of the metals rub off on white horses? I mean, I do not normally ride with my toes so far in/heels so far out that the side piece of the spur would never touch the horse (that is where I'm getting the color transfer).

That was never a problem for Mom or I on her all white Appy.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:28 am

I have a pair i really love. I don't even know the manufacturer or where I got them. I call them "nickel" rowels. Smooth, a little thicker and slightly smaller than an actual nickel. Very mild, and my last two horses seem to like them. They have a little horse show ribbon stamped near the heel, and a slight extension under the shank and rowel so they won't slide down if your boots don't have stops.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:06 am

I use these
https://www.dressageextensions.com/soft ... r/p/1266R/.
I do not consistently ride with spurs. I really don't need them but want something "soft" and that rolls easily for my sensitive mare when I chose to use them. If we get back to regular work (fingers crossed), I will start using them consistently when we get back to schooling 2nd-3rd for refinement.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Susan- that looks like what I need--something that covers the side of the spur.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Yes, that's the same rubber I was talking about--however, I imagine that rubber might ALSO leave a black mark....perhaps you can grab a set to borrow/test out?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 pm

Blob, I needed a visual apparently to understand. I was thinking of those rubber things you can put on your spurs to protect your boots, but not of spurs with rubber.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:32 pm

Only downside to rubber vs. metals is that they tend to rub more hair off/pull more hair out with use. So you may avoid the staining but get a bald patch.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:57 pm

Argh. Thanks for that info, Ponichiwa. Right now, I'm just quickly wiping off the grey residue from the side of the spur after each ride.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 pm

THis is what I use. I was told that smooth rowels are less irritating than a POW or other non-rowel spur; those pull at the skin whereas a rowel will roll over it. I found a nice german silver set at my local consignment shop - they were all tarnished but polished up great. https://www.dressageextensions.com/balk ... el/p/1231/

Return to “Dressage Training”