Let the horse hair fly! March and April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: Let the horse hair fly! March and April Goals and Progress

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Well, it's almost the end of April, and gotta say I'm pretty happy with how the last two months have gone. Since mid-March, the dogs and I have logged some 100+ miles of lunchtime walk breaks. I'm hoping the heat stays away while this work-from-home phase lasts; it's been a very relaxing break in my day.

And Queso has been a champion. I introduced half pass at the walk in early/mid March, and now we've got beginnings of decent half pass in all three gaits. He's really benefited from a light half pass/LY zig zag at the trot and canter-- it's improved both gaits and there's a lot more "sit" available to me than before.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:35 pm

khall wrote:Has anyone tried the Pivo? https://trendygadgetreview.com/pivo-int ... otography/

Khall, if I'm reading that writeup correctly, it only works within 15 meters? So not sure how well it would work for riding?

I do virtual lessons, but I've yet to buy a digital tracker setup. Right now I just lean on the kindness of my parents, who to date are willing to come out and man the camera for me.

I've just heard so many terrible things about Pixio and Solo Shot, ie order delays and that if anything at all burps with them there is 0 customer service, plus their cost (about $1,000) that I've just hoped for the best with my current setup.

I currently use an antiquated system of laptop, skype, and a camera plugged in as a webcam. While it works OK, it relies on my equipment not breaking and my dad not getting tired of helping me, so I don't recommend my setup anymore either, but honestly I wish there were an easier way.

Ponichiwa -- yay for the yellow horse! Good boy!

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby blob » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:24 pm

gosh, so much has changed in these two months, I had to go back and look at my goals because i couldn't at all remember what they were:

MM:
Find another stretch of days to work trailer loading
Work on staying quiet while I ride MM--staying consistent and insisting on the lightest possible aid
Get out of the arena more/do more poles
Start trying to stay on top of her allergies (I've finally ordered a Boett for her, hoping it helps!)

Trailer work has been continuing with progress, though we still have time and work needed before i can call the problem 'fixed'. She's been wearing her boett with good results! And we did a couple of pole days. Now that I'm broken footed, our riding isn't very excited, though I am getting on her some to putz around.

RP:
Continue working on more self-carriage and balance
Introduce poles
Work on more seamless trot-canter-trot transitions while staying relaxed
Practice standing still under saddle calmly

I'm happy to report I worked on all of the above with RP. But i don't know how much progress we had. Pole work has improved--so that's good. And we have days of super balance/self-carriage and days when that's not so much the case. But i haven't ridden him now in a few weeks because of my foot and he'll likely get a bit more time off. I don't feel comfortable riding him when I'm still so compromised in terms of what I can and can't do with my body.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:05 pm

Last night was probably my last ride of the month, so I guess i can do a close-out too.

Annabelle isn't quite where she was. I ended up opting for SI injections since she continued to have back issues. She is back to regular turnout, and I have been able to stop riding defensively over the past few weeks. She is steadily improving, and we're set to have a lesson this weekend.

Tesla - saddle fitting and field trips were canceled due to Covid, except for a trip to the vet to get a sarcoid removed and frozen. I've had her in lunging boot camp, but she is still a turd at the beginning of most sessions. Haven't moved on to long-lining again due to the kicking protests. :roll: However, I did saddle her and lay all my weight over her back last night and she didn't bat an eye.

Me - clinics and workshops were of course canceled, and my gym has been closed. Sticking to my diet pretty well, and still running, though some of my workouts have taken a back seat to getting some heavier yard projects done

StraightForward wrote:Once again, I have very simple goals:

Annabelle -
-Reintroduce turnout
-Conditioning and suppling
-Basically getting back to where we ended in October, 2018 so I can think about starting lessons again

Tesla -
-Long lining
-Go on a couple field trips
-In hand work
-Get saddle fitted

Me -
-Stick with my 2x a week at the gym, 2x a week running routine that I established this winter
-Stick to my low carb diet at least 6 days a week
-Keep going out to the barn before work 3-4 days a week
-Study ahead of the Jillian Kreinbring workshop I'm attending
-Audit a clinic
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:37 am

Well, we are not entirely sound. Just about rounds out the two months...

Vet tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it's "just" hock injections (that's what it feels like to me.) It's been about a year, and it's been a difficult few months for him.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:43 am

I didn't have any goals and still don't! The time has gone fast but it's been so strange. It's been raining all day and I have the fire on, so the drought and fires seem so long ago. It's nice to have green stuff back, even if a lot of it is weeds.
Just chipping away at little things with my horses, so nothing worth reporting on. I keep reading everyone else's updates and seeing what you're all up to.

A couple of friends have ordered a Pivo, but one turned up not in the packaging.. I'll let you know what they think of it when one does finally turn up.
I bought a second hand pixio recently (my soloshot died and I paid for a new lens but soloshot won't reply to my emails anymore. I think I've lost the $220 for that).
I really like the pixio, and their customer service does seem a lot better than soloshot.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Looking back, it has actually been a pretty good period. Emi is getting fitter and fitter and we are both getting through the spring sillies (it usually just involves working harder and cantering longer). We've had a ton of rain, so footing has at times been an issue. Out in the fields, we're often working on a slope (both directions) to avoid the soggier flat land below. I think that is likely part of her increased fitness.

I've become quite attached to using walk shoulder-in to walk travers to walk half pass after 10-15 minutes of long rein walking. This exercise really helps her transition to the working phase of our session and shows me any holes we'll have to address that day.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:14 pm

I've been fortunate to have been able to continue my lessons and ride throughout the majority of the last two months. Junior is definitely filling out and muscling up as a dressage welsh cob should. I think he's getting a better understanding of how to 'power up' without tightening his back. Of course until we're able to show again I won't know if I will be able to maintain this new 'appropriate tension' in a test without it devolving into a tight back, quick stride which lacks the cadence and amplitude of gait that the judge's want..........either way he's definitely becoming very obedient and prompt in his transitions ;)

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:37 pm

I wish I had a sunnier end to this section but I miss riding Kora. I just looked back on my goals and it stings honestly. In hindsight I should have revised these when the barn shutdown made riding impossible for me. We did at least get some rides outside before all this madness, but otherwise it's a wash on these.

Goals:
Find more harmony in each progressive ride A little? At this point 5 weeks from last ride I honestly don't remember.
Get off property Nope.
Do some schooling shows in April Also nope.
Learn how to wax trailer and do it! This I probably could have done but cut off all unnecessary spending due to job issues.

It's been tough. Work is having us eat through half our vacation time in the next few weeks so I'm been home with 4 day weekends AND not able to spend time at the barn more. Hoping maybe next section I'll be able to access barn more and get back to riding.

Alright enough of sad sackness there has been some good.

Self-load/unload trailer training is going well and probably something I would have never worked on 2x a week with her. At this point we're working on being patient and not body slamming the butt bar when she thinks it's time to back up. It's improvement and I already ordered another bag of treats to work on it. I've been putting ramp up/down, jingling butt bar, making noises, just walking to the back and then back to her and giving treats when she stands. She will be 5 star traveler by the end of this pandemic and not having gone anywhere!

Lunging is boring but going fine. She did the most fluid, relaxed, beautiful step up into canter from the walk the other day. I was asking for trot but you know. It was stunning and she then repeated it which was adorable when I asked her to walk and trot again. It's in there and I can't wait to get back on her.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:18 pm

So, Laddie, once he stopped bucking and farting on the longe, (which probably loosened him up nicely, old fool...) was sound for the vet this morning. But, it's the best part of a year since we did his hocks, and there's some narrowing in the lower joints, so we injected the lower outside spaces and he gets to go back onto Pentosan. He's a big, heavy, rangy 18 year old, so it's only to be expected, especially after the rough start to the year he has had.

Onwards and upwards...

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:55 pm

Good that Laddie was sound but hopefully he stays that way!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Ditto on Laddie! I did not realize he was 18...

Aleuronx, the time you've taken on training loading will pay off for years. So will the deliberate lungeing. I know it's hard not to want to do more, but it sounds like you *are* making solid progress in this challenging time.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 01, 2020 2:27 pm

also didn't realize he was 18!
I am doing well, riding as usual (we are very lucky the governor did not shut down barns) so hugely thankful for that.

Return to “Dressage Training”